Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss
I just read that Auroras don't even happen in story mode until after you kill the bear. I've been scouring Forlorn Muskeg for supplies for my little camp next to the hatch, wearing out my knife and hatchet, forging new ones, patiently awaiting an Aurora that will never come. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss
Oh, maybe. I haven't done that yet either. It's on the other map west of Forlorn Muskeg and I thought I could pick up this stash first. If that's all it takes I can run over there and trigger that scene.

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss

Qubee posted:

With the new update to TLD, I'm thinking of getting back into the game. #1 reason I haven't played it much is pretty much the same reasons I haven't touched Subnautica: I'm terrified of jump scares and the atmosphere of both games has you on edge always waiting for something to jump out at you. Is TLD like this? I used to love it up until I went into the dam and Fluffy jumped out at me. Put the game down after that and didn't touch it since.

I'm even considering just turning wolves off entirely, but feel that will remove a lot of fun from the game. I just really don't wanna be walking along in the dark and have a wolf jumpscare me from behind or something, by making the camera instantly pan to a big snarling face.
There are a couple custom settings you may want to look into:
- "wolf spawn distance" under wildlife spawns controls how near to you wolves are allowed to spawn - ie whether you can exit a building and get jumped. Set this to max
- "passive wildlife" under wildlife behavior - this makes wolves run away from you. This is included on the easiest setting, but with custom you can tweak it so you have a challenging survival experience without being stalked by killer wolves
- "wolf fear" under wildlife behavior - if the previous setting sounds too easy, try this one. It will make wolves more scared of flares/thrown rocks/wolfskin coat etc. but there is no guarantee they will leave you alone. You may still get jumped if they are quiet.

Spoiler for the last remaining jump scare: There is a wolf in the factory in bleak inlet, once you open the door be prepared.

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss

Arven posted:

Do the badges you earn for the event do anything? I'm used to interloper and the settings for this event are kind of too easy in comparison.

No, the seasonal badges for the Long Dark are just to show you did the event (like the Four Days of Night Halloween event). It doesn't add anything to your game experience.

edit: I will say that the event is set on Voyageur settings so veterans won't find it difficult to survive at all, but the badges are obnoxious. Once I got the "survive 25 days badge" I cheated the other badge because finding syrup is so rare.

bobsmyuncle fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 15, 2020

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss
I like Green Hell a ton but metal tools are a bunch of work for not that much greater effectiveness. Obsidian weapons and bone armor were good enough for me (I'm lazy).

You can use axes to mine iron, it's just a little fiddly to hit the vein correctly. You can also use empty food cans that you find lying around, like at the cocaine processing camp. You might want to read the wiki on forging if you decide to do it, it's kind of an ordeal.