Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

ReindeerF posted:

More like Warren G's Hardon.

Slate Political Gabfest contributor spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

ReindeerF posted:

Long-time ashamed listener, first-time commenter.

Actually, I haven't had my podcasts in about two months because of phone issues and I'm going nuts.

I presume you've been skipping cocktail parties during this time for obvious reasons.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

socialsecurity posted:

I don't get why people ignore politics its more absurd and entertaining then most TV shows.

Only the highlight reels though. To sit and watch the convention in hopes of a chair yelling incident is like watching a day long soccer tournament with nothing but 0-0 scores.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

CarterUSM posted:

I don't generally like to mock the medium, rather than the message (since the message itself is hilariously "all Islamic radicals are the same" wrong), but man, congrats on finding the lowest-quality image possible, and then adding a font that matches the sort of iron-on letters I had to use to label my gym clothes back in the 80s. Nothing says "I am an up-to-date, modern person whose opinions should be taken seriously" like that sort of stuff.

Nothing smacks of erudite authoritativeness like a well chosen font.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Fried Chicken posted:

Somehow every 2 years I manage to forget how soul crushing phone banking is. 3 hours of it today and the only progress I made was identifying the stuff we needed to track when we got rejected.

I go to my first one of the season tomorrow night. I find it bizarre how aspie I get about refining the process down to this insanely mechanical, efficient thing where I can tick my checkboxes from the last call while the phone rings for the next one. I find the most soul crushing thing the amount of numbers that are simply disconnected.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Fried Chicken posted:

Yep. Out of my list maybe a third were wrong or disconnected.

Ideally, if you had the money and volunteers, every 6 months the local party would throw some sort of party. And you would get the word out by phonebanking. So every few months you updated the list of information to keep it accurate, and the people who turned out for the party would be the ones you flag to priority mobilize in the election cycle. You don't spend the summer months leading up to an election trying to update all the information because you have kept it up to date all along, and you have a core to pull your volunteers and donors from instead of scrambling to get bodies so you can do the wide netbuilding.

But that would require your political organization to act in an organized manner, and that ain't happening.

That's a good idea but it seems like our crew is consistently organized by recent college grads who aren't going to ever be around 2 years from now to do it the next time.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

MrBims posted:

I don't believe for a moment he'd get more than ten years at the very most

I think you're overlooking that one minute of jail time would be amazing. Anything after that is just running up the score.

emfive posted:

[edit] Can somebody with a brain explain how being indicted as a governor is different from being impeached as a president?

Presidents are immune from prosecution. Impeachment lifts that immunity.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

FCKGW posted:

That's actually what they're called

http://shop.doggles.com/

Anyone who thinks they are going to ironically out-pun serious business dog/cat lovers is seriously overestimating themselves.

ReindeerF posted:

Perry's going to double down and start wearing loafers and a scarf now.

Elbow patches incoming.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Paul MaudDib posted:

The interesting thing about it is that theoretically the military has a thing built into the GPS system that should protect against this, just from the general description. You'd think that something with stealth tech on it would have had a secure GPS too.

There's actually not even any question they got the drone; the President asked for the drone back.

Doesn't mean they hacked the GPS, but it was a strong speculation at the time, along with possible Chinese involvement.

From what I've read (and I'm not a military nerd at all) the drone itself doesn't have that much in the way of gee-whiz gadgetry and it's more the network that controls the drone that makes it so powerful. Anyone know better?

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
She used to be able to pull off the snark with a degree of authenticity but it's so unbelievably forced and contrived now that it's very painful to watch. It's really difficult to believe that people watch her and think that she's conveying any degree of natural emotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Joementum posted:

Yes, because there were only three TV stations and it was playing on all of them.

Television also still had the air of magical holograms appearing in the middle of your living room so people would basically watch anything.

• Locked thread