Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Next time they should use an illegal Canadian immigrant.

fakeedit: insert video clip from Silicon Valley here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

zoux posted:

You see with Christians becoming even MORE AND MORE PERSECUTED EVERY DAY, in 40 years Catholic Cardinals will be routinely jailed for their beliefs by the Athiest New World Order and 40 years after that we will be putting Christians to death in public squares.

And at long last the thousand years of liberal darkness will begin.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

So we are almost out of money to fight wildfires

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/money-allocated-suppressing-fires-run-out

Cool, not like we are in the middle if a huge multistate drought or anything that would leave a lot if dry, flammable material around. Everything is awesome

Anyone that has a subscription with the fire department shouldn't have anything to worry about. :colbert:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm looking forward to begrudgingly voting for that lady.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Literally, yes. I was helping organize a golfing fundraiser for a local thing.

Then I did some WoW for an hour. Stupid mount still won't drop.

WoW is code for "War on Whites".

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm reading The Invisible Bridge. All this stuff about the POWS (on both sides) during the Vietnam war is knocking my head back. :stare:

edit: I wish he would have written about this stuff a little later in the book though. I can already see the angry guy jumping in his car so he can return the commie propaganda for a refund.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 6, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Fried Chicken Impeachment leads to War on Whites.

edit:
:smith:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If nothing happens you can always just make something up.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Obama will make the trees wither and die.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Obama will give food to the hungry and clothe the needy.

Shoe the children, with no shoes on their feet. House the people, living in the streets.

edit: I like how when Walgreens backed down their stock price fell significantly because doing the right thing is bad for shareholders. :qq:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 7, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

The disgusting thing is that these inversions are absolutely godawful for long-term shareholders. The instant the inversion occurs you owe capital gains on all the stock you had.

I have the impression that most people buying/selling individual stocks don't care about the long (10+ years) term. Then you have the kind of people that are long term investors but behave like short term investors.

Heck even the CEOs of most companies are only there for a little awhile. Average CEO tenure is only 4.6 years.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 7, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit:

Jackson Taus posted:

I'm pretty sure long-term in this context is "a year or more", not the hardcore buy-and-hold-for-a-decade or the live-off-the-dividends crowds.

I think you're right since I was originally talking about individual stocks, not index or mutual funds. My bad.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 7, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

whitey delenda est posted:

It was a good one.

This article about the (pending) BofA settlement is going around Facebook with a spectrum of comments running from "Good, gently caress them!" to "Holy poo poo look how greedy the government is!"

I've taken pains to point out that the tentative amount of $16B comes to about $1700 per mortgage that they serviced / packaged / destroyed through Countrywide. Less than half of it is being potentially paid to any Person harmed by their malfeasance, and that much money is only about 75% of one quarter's revenue for BofA. It's also less than 1% of their assets, although that's not a particularly relevant statistic.

The thing about the wealthy is that they're collectively going to get a lot of their money back eventually. Money slowly but surely moves those best able to collect and save it.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 7, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If he wins I'll tell people that I voted for him. :smug:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Xibanya posted:

My aunt, who has some face freezing palsy, her son, who is autistic and has several comorbid disorders, and her husband, who has diagnosed bipolar disorder, are paying the fine rather than get themselves some sweet sweet Obamacare. They have a household annual income of $42k.

It's like some evil form of learned helplessness.

Thank them for keeping prices low and helping Obummer. Reverse Psychology!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

"It was a real sort of Southern deal. I had AstroTurf in the back. You don't want to know why, but I did." –Bill Clinton, reminiscing about a pickup truck he once owned

Astroturf doesn't sound very comfortable.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Of course the Klingon is a libertarian.

edit: I forgot the klingon empire was a feudal monarchy.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 8, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I make a few times the minimum wage right now, if their wages were to go up I would demand a significant pay increase. Even if prices were to double (they won't) only about a quarter of my income would be affected. My mortgage would stay the same and my savings would increase overall.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I do think there are alternatives to raising the minimum wage (UHC, lower the cost of living, etc.) but no one is pursuing that.

edit:
My wife and I could probably have the same lifestyle (minus the savings) if we had two minimum wage jobs but that's only because we have our house mostly paid down and no other debts. Minimum wage is great for people like me, kids that get to live with their parents or people whose parents subsidize their lifestyles but not the average joe.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 11, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Jesus Christ how does someone get by on $10 bucks an hour by themselves? I agree with the $18 to support one adult and one child but $10 bucks in my county seems pretty low.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
This whole conversation about a guaranteed minimum income reminds me of the last election when people were arguing who should pay the higher tax rate, the guy making $100k a year in dividends or the guy working full time for $100k.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 11, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

zoux posted:

NPR did a piece a few months ago about the economic impact of Portland raising the minimum wage to $15/hr and the "anti" guy they interviewed who ran a pizza parlor was utterly exasperated when he said the new law would mean he'd have to raise his prices one whole dollar per pizza. I was like, uh, that doesn't sound like a huge harm bud. Especially since he's undoubtedly exaggerating the effects.

Yeah the math basically shows that most businesses wouldn't have to raise prices that much. I think the real reason is that employers fear their employees will realize that with their increased wages comes increased leverage. I mean if a person could get by on minimum wage or without a job then employers are going to have to treat their workers a heck of a lot better if they want to keep them.

"What's the point of being rich if people don't fear me?" ~Mr. Burns.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 11, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Honestly, I enjoy it when conservatives come through here so even if Amergin is trolling and doesn't believe a word of what he says I don't mind.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Based partially on anecdote and wealth statistics I think the majority would spend most of their new income instead of saving it. I know people that earn a lot of money but still live paycheck to paycheck because the neighbors got something fancy so I have to get one too. I meet very few people that get a raise and toss all or most of it into savings.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Does Ustream work on mobile phones?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is there a mirror for that video of the cop(?) using racial slurs? Whoever put it up closed their account.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Derail time!

http://projects.aljazeera.com/2014/south-carolina-schools/

SC public schools are kind of in very different shape depending on where you are in the state. While none of them are what I would consider "good", there are a lot that are better than others. A reporter who graduated from University of South Carolina decided to do a series on it. The series is quite good, but there have already been responses: Notably that Democrats are all to blame for this because they funnel all the sweet, sweet funds into their pockets in the form of graft.

Instead of the idea that no money goes there because there is no money.

Yeah apparently the school district I'm in is one of the best in the state but the city is basically full of people that make bank in Charlotte but live in SC for the low taxes. Although the area I'm in is strangely diverse and affordable. :shrug:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 14, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I know this is out of the blue but for some reason I totally expect to see a Romney/Ryan and a Hillary 2016 sticker on the same car in the coming years.

edit: oh look at those little grenades.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

I like the debt and think we should have more of it, personally.

Yeah. I mean I'm pretty sure that debt issued since 2010 has had negative interest rates. I wouldn't pass that up. I can understand complaining about how the money is spent (EX: A pointless war that made the world a worse place vs foodstamps that actually have a huge return on investment) but that's it.

Anyway the alternative to low interest debt is higher taxes and some other country (CHINA!!!!) getting all negative to interest free money instead. So either the US takes on as much debt as possible or some other nation will get it.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 20, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm checking the sources but Wikipedia only says "Since 2010".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_debt_of_the_United_States#Negative_real_interest_rates

edit: Even if we aren't in the negative anymore, it's still low.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 20, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Does treasury.gov list the real interest rates on the total debt issued by month/year? The only thing I can usually find is the interest rate on a specific type of bond.

I know it doesn't matter because Obama has everyone on the payroll so all the numbers are fake.

edit: Don't worry I believe you. As much as we (Americans) talk about debt the one thing I never hear people say is that someone is going to get that money no matter what and I'd rather it be us than "insert evil country here".

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 20, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Obama could flay terrorists live on TV like Ramsay Bolton and the right would still hate him.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
"That was seal team 6 not Obama!" is the usual response. A few people I have talked to admit that if it happened under Bush they wouldn't have an issue with people giving him partial/full credit for the kill.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit: eh nm.

lol the first wave is already gay. Is it the curriculum or is it because Moochelle is forcing our kids to eat gay vegetables?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The comments on that page are half "Nice to seem them exercising their second amendment rights!" and the other half "Those are black panther colors! That gang activity!"

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread