Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I just moved into a new place, and right as I was moving in, some college students were leaving for the summer, and they left some furniture they were throwing out. I took a look and saw this awesome table. They mentioned one of the legs was 'a bit funny' but I figured, whatever, its a really good table and free is also pretty good.

When I finally got around to setting it up, the one leg practically disintegrated instantly. I have no idea what they were doing with the table but the one leg just collapsed under its own weight. I took a look and as you can see, I think that it broke off a while ago and they tried to fix it with eproxy but it wasn't set right. There's also a bunch of screws in the underside of the one leg so I think that's a write off.

Anyway, question is, is this table worth trying to save? If so how do I do it? I'm a complete moron when it comes to woodwork and this sort of thing in general but I'm also not massively attached to the thing if it turns out to be worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Sand off all the crap on the pegs, even better replace them with something larger. Slather it with wood glue, place the leg onto it and CLAMP IT overnight.

If it were me I would refinish the whole drat thing and repair the screw holes as well.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

Sand off all the crap on the pegs, even better replace them with something larger. Slather it with wood glue, place the leg onto it and CLAMP IT overnight.

If it were me I would refinish the whole drat thing and repair the screw holes as well.

The part where the highest peg would slot in broke off when the table fell apart, otherwise that was my first thought too.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The part where the highest peg would slot in broke off when the table fell apart, otherwise that was my first thought too.

Wood + mechanical fasteners + glue to rebuild the section of leg that goes on those pegs, re-drill holes in the new wood after the adhesive cures, then glue the leg to the pegs to reconnect the leg to the table.

Just remember that unless you use some ungodly adhesive (which you might, I've heard good things about gorilla glue but haven't tested it myself) the seam between the original leg and the new piece is going to be the weakest point, so work with the geometry to maximize your gluing surface area & minimize the force that's distributed upon that seam. A half lap joint is probably the easiest thing to do in this regard.

All the above is depending on how literal you were with your "disintegrated" description of the break. If it's truly destroyed and/or if you're really as inept at woodwork as you claim your best bet is probably finding somebody into woodwork and seeing how much they'd charge to make you a replacement.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Lots of wood glues are stronger than wood, so they should work fine, but PL-400 would be a good back up.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Got a picture of the damage on the broken leg?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Darth Freddy posted:

Got a picture of the damage on the broken leg?

Yeah, here it is -

There's a big hole going through one side of the three splinted top parts, I'm pretty sure what happened was someone tried to put a nail through it into one of the pegs to 'hold' it, realised they were breaking the wood then just pulled the nail out, I must have missed it when we checked it out before bringing it in. Probably why they tossed it in the first place.

I really appreciate all the advice posted so far though. I have some sandpaper here and can run out and get some wood glue if people still think its salvageable, but with three breakpoints on just the top part alone, I'm doubtful. Getting a new leg made sounds like a good plan but I have no idea where to go for that or how much it would cost.

e: that stuff is all more eproxy, not mold or anything, just fyi

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Gorilla glue is absolutely amazing and will work perfectly for this. Like the other guy said, fix the leg part first, then re-tap the holes, then glue it to the pegs. Clamp everything together while it's drying.

Gorilla glue comes out all deceptively liquid, like Elmer's school glue, but it dries clear and super solid.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

ladron posted:

Gorilla glue comes out all deceptively liquid, like Elmer's school glue, but it dries clear and super solid.
Bear in mind that it depends on which type of Gorilla Glue you use. The one I have dries to an orange-type of colour, and expands as it cures.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So thanks to the advice of the thread, I think I fixed the table.

I sanded down every surface, gorilla wood glued the leg back together and left it dry for a day and a half, the coated the legs and the main part of the leg in glue and forced the newly fixed leg onto it. Had to bind it with some rope and I think I over sanded a bit because its not as snug as I'd like, but otherwise the table has been sitting there with a couple heavy board games and a guitar on the repaired part for the better part of 5 hours now and no breakage.

There is a slight lean, probably because the leg is still a bit borked but its barely noticeable. For a free table as good as this I really couldn't ask for more.

Thanks thread!

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
This is a Duncan Phyfe style table by the way, probably from the 1920s to the 1940s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

rocket_350 posted:

This is a Duncan Phyfe style table by the way, probably from the 1920s to the 1940s.

Oh neat, thanks for the info - if I need to get a new leg made at some point that'll come in handy.

• Locked thread