Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Radio Talmudist posted:

Political Science. I wanted to study Political Economics at the graduate level, and/or possibly work for government.

Don't do it. You need to stop listening to your friends, family, mentors/teachers and whoever else. They are all obviously bad with money and have no idea what they're talking about. Unless any of these people have a job waiting for you when you graduate then don't listen to them.

Have you been applying for jobs all over the country or are you set in staying where you are? I would assume poli-sci degrees would do better in a city like DC rather than Boston.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I just want to have a decent job that will give me a cozy life. I don't need a Maserati. I want to live within my means. I want to travel. I want a pension, and a decent amount of vacation.

You sound pretty risk averse and if you aren't against suckling from the government teet why not become a teacher? It sounds perfect if you're looking for (above all else) loan forgiveness, a pension, and tons of time off for holidays/summers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

I hope you like spending your summers actively planning for your next 9-months of work

People always love to say this, and I understand it's not completely 100% time off from "work" because you're planning and attending meetings but come on. I'm just bitter because I work weekends and holidays and it loving sucks rear end in a top hat to miss those days when the rest of your family is off and making memories.

I concede, there are too many union men and women on this forum to get into this discussion so I'm bowing out.

• Locked thread