Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Edit- I was pretty sure I had no icon selected for this thread:(

I bought a lake house a few months ago and I'm decorating it with nautical and pirate decore with a few outdoorsy/fishing things as well. It's 1000 sq ft, but has very little wasted space and no closets. It packs in 3 bedrooms, and 1.5 bathrooms.

The house...

The deck...

Firepit...

I'll post pics of the inside when I get access to them. I'm home right now, and don't have internet access when I'm at the lake.

I want to show off things I'm doing here, but also I'd like ideas, suggestions, and tips. I'd also appreciate help finding things on my want list. For example, I'm looking for a telescope. If anyone happens to know about telescopes I'd love to hear from you. I've started to wade through ebay listings and I can't believe how many telescopes are being sold out of India.

Current art projects...

I did a charcoal drawing of blackbeard the pirate. It's not a professional drawing by any means, but I'm proud of it enough to hang it on the wall. I'd like to make some kind of plaque or sign to go underneath it to let people know who it is and maybe a little about him.

Wall net project:
I got a large piece of netting like a fisherman's net and I have some sea shells and other trinkets stuck in it. It needs more trinkets/shells. I'll upload a picture most likely Monday or Tuesday.

Fishing Lure project:
I have lots of old barn wood. One of the things I'm going to use the barnwood for is for mounting fishing lures on it. I have roughly a 2'x2' section of barnwood I'm using. I have some fishing lures already but not enough. I'd like for them to be weathered, but they dont have to be antique. If I find cheap newer lures I'll artificially weather them. I'll add a picture of what I have early next week.

Telescopes:
I'm looking for a retractable spyglass. I have a piece of wood that is perfect to mount one to. I don't know what the previous owner had displayed here. I'll add the preferred measurement soon. I might also get an antique looking tripod style telescope as well for the deck, though I'm worried it might freak out the neighbors.
Update: The telescope that I want to hang on the wall needs to be less than 35" and preferrably more than 20".

Pirate hat:
I have a replica sword and blundurbuss pistol hung on a rock wall. I'd also like to put a pirate hat on the wall with them. It's hard to get an idea of quality of hats from pictures on the internet. If anyone has any advice or knowledge of costume pirate hats I'd appreciate it. I'd like to get something that looks nice(not necessarily authentic.)

THE CANNON:
Eventually, I'd like a cannon overlooking the water. I don't think I'll find a naval cannon locally. I might find a civil war style cannon that maybe I could modify here in north Alabama.

Pirate chest:
I've already gotten some chests, but none of them are "piratey" enough. I'm considering making an ornate pirate chest, but if I can find a decent one I'd be happy.

Barrel of coins:
I have a wooden barrel already, and I'd like to make a lid for it covered in coins that makes it look as if the entire barrel was with with coins. I need to find a reasonbly priced source of fake or antique coins and mounting them should be easy.

I'll post more plans and pictures as I get them.

I'd love to hear additional ideas.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

The insurance company is claiming I'm a future baby killer. If you look at the balcony in my first picture you'll notice the ropes. The insurance company only allows 4 inches of space between rungs of whatever you are using as a barrier. I have to fix it for liability insurance which is required because of my mortgage.

My plan is to buy netting to put there.

4" mesh should be fairly unobtrusive and relatively cheap.
I'll measure the balcony this weekend and order it.

Another art project I'd like to do is to make a faux antique map of Smith Lake (the lake I'm on) as a piece of wall art. This will probably be difficult and time consuming. Not sure when I'll get a chance to do it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Your lake house is awesome, have any pictures of the inside?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
does it have a dock? if not, will you build one? would you need to dredge?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

Your lake house is awesome, have any pictures of the inside?

I had pictures on a tablet, but I can't find the tablet. I'll take more this weekend.

PuTTY riot posted:

does it have a dock? if not, will you build one? would you need to dredge?

It doesn't have a dock yet. It had one, but was damaged in a storm and the previous owner sold it. No dredging needed.
I'll get a dock eventually, but my parents have a boat and jetski in a marina that's less than a 10th of a mile away.
That reminds though. I need to buy a piece of outdoor carpet to lay down and I can actually drive the jetski onto shore.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Are the pilings there? That's the expensive part, I used to teach sailing down on the coast, and after katrina they had us out there laying stringers and whatnot.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

Are the pilings there? That's the expensive part, I used to teach sailing down on the coast, and after katrina they had us out there laying stringers and whatnot.

Lakes are a wonderful thing. This lake is controlled by a dam. You either have a walkway long enough that it doesnt matter or have a cable system with a walkway you let out as the water level goes down. I just need a 30'+ walkway and my dock will be in water year round. You don't need pilings on most lakes.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

My work phone with the better camera died while I was at the lake and forgot the charger. Had to take some blurrier photos with my terrible personal phone.

I've ordered some more lures of ebay. I bought a lot of 35 at just over $1 each that looked similar to the junk lures I have now.
Here's a picture of the barnwood and lures I have now. The lures aren't mounted. I just laid them on the wood for the picture.

Here's the rock wall that I need a pirate hat for. I've already got the sword and blunderbuss up. I might get some kind of leather sword holder as well.
Any rock walls you see in the picture, the previous owner stacked himself from rocks he gathered from the lake. The previous owner really made this place special. I'm just mostly decorating and doing crafts.

Here's the upstairs bathroom. There's a really nice shower behind me you can't see. Both bathrooms use some type of pail as the basin, but they are both different.

My younger daughter's name is Natalie and we call her "Nat" a lot. These letters originally spelled out "tan" and came from a tanning salon.

Shot of the living room from behind the kitchen table. The wood burning stove is fully functional. Sorry for the blurriness. I am ashamed.

Blurry shot of the net I put up with shells and a few other trinkets in it. I still have a lot of details I need to add.

Two of the bedrooms have sliding doors and use rope cleats as handles. This is the master bedroom. Still pretty bare looking.

The sign in the middle is a Stroh's beer sign I found. It's shaped like a nautical porthole with a boating themed picture.

I've ordered some fake gold coins that I should get this week, so I can start on my barrel that will look like it is overflowing with gold.

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006
this is p cool I'm excited to see what you end up with

do you have pirate clothes to wear around the house too?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

bawbzilla posted:

this is p cool I'm excited to see what you end up with

do you have pirate clothes to wear around the house too?

Nah, not a cosplayer. Also, this place is probably a lot less expensive than most people would guess. (I'm not rich.)

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006
Well I think you're missing out on an opportunity w/ regards to the pirate outfit but I won't judge. You should like engrave sea shanties onto wood and hang them around so you and your friends can sing them when you're v. drunk

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bawbzilla posted:

Well I think you're missing out on an opportunity w/ regards to the pirate outfit but I won't judge. You should like engrave sea shanties onto wood and hang them around so you and your friends can sing them when you're v. drunk

Definitely need to stock a lot of rum at the very least.

This looks like a really fun project :)

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
You'll need some appropriate music too. I found this in my Mom's old record colletion, it's quite amusing: Oscar Brand - Boating Songs and all that Bilge

Or some Alestorm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXoZsgNHquM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco_Bandit
Sep 8, 2006

cruft posted:

Definitely need to stock a lot of rum at the very least.

This looks like a really fun project :)

:agreed: I hope you're a rum fan, OP!

• Locked thread