Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Twitch.tv just announced a flurry of new changes in the past 24 hours.

- Justin.tv is dead. Justin.tv, the parent company of Twitch, officially rebranded itself as Twitch on February 10th, as Twitch massively overtook Justin.tv in popularity. The next natural step followed last night, as Justin.tv announced it was shutting down after seven years of service. Let's not forget that Twitch gets very irate when you stream stuff that isn't related to video games, and with the removal of Justin.tv, there's no place for people to do that within Justin/Twitch's company ecosystem anymore.

- An automated audio content detection system has been added to Twitch for VODs. It's pretty new and the kinks are still being worked out, but copyrighted material in archived video will now be surrounded by a half-hour block of silence, which is a problem for pro streamers, for which it was common practice to stream music they like alongside themselves playing games against pubbies or practicing. It sucks to see this go away but it's understandable, especially if the rumors of Google acquiring Twitch are true. What isn't understandable is that this also applies to music from game soundtracks, and considering Twitch.tv is a website all about streaming video games, this is going as well as you can expect. For a chunk of time after the change, Dota 2's "The International" tournaments - THE big annual Dota 2 tournament held by Valve themselves - had their archives muted all the way through due to in-game audio, and Twitch has even managed to automatically mute content from their own channel.

- If your VODs are silenced, well, be glad they're not being loving deleted, because Twitch also announced swooping changes to the VOD systems, including limiting the archival of videos after their posting date based on whether or not you're subscribed to their premium service, and outright deleting all VODs ever made before this date.

Here is a brief list of the features that Twitch is planning to introduce to make up for this stripping of content:

I see no benefit to consumers on this end of changes. Is there anyone that knows more about the business end of Twitch that could justify these actions on Twitch's part? Did they really need that much extra space on their servers, could they not handle the current load of features on the website? Be sure to like my status and subscribe to my YouTube channel, thanks gamers.

https://twitter.com/hitboxliveHelp/statuses/497150137933000705

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Free public domain music earns you a muted VOD

That's great, because in their blog post about the changes, they specifically say that public domain music will be unaffected.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mabels big day posted:

this is going to completely gently caress VGCW's vods for sure, right? At least the live show usually gets recorded on youtube.

Yep. All VODs before August 6th will be deleted over the next few weeks, and be muted through the copyright filter in the meantime! Rad!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

But they did make the content and deserve a cut if some asshat child broadcasts their game to earn money, OP.

That ain't me, bruh.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

No 'professional' streamers will move to hitbox thanks to the owned scam. These people are living off of the community they built and so long as the live broadcasting portion remains functional, there is no reason for them to risk their livelihood.

For pro streamers I can see that, but this change just absolutely kneecapped speedrunners, who kind of run one of the biggest online charity events every year. I honestly don't see this system staying in place after the backlash they're getting, but if it does, you'd be an idiot to think that speedrunners won't take their business elsewhere. https://twitter.com/cosmowright/status/497150107289407489

The Twitch AMA is going on right now. Cosmo Wright is the top-rated comment.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Photex posted:

it would cost a lot more to monitor and scrape live than it does to scrape an archive.

Even so, Shear states in the AMA that he refuses to scrape live video for copyright, even if the technology ever became available. Which is... kinda morally backwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

To be fair, severely limiting their archives actually does make a decent amount of sense from a business standpoint with the cost of maintaining them. It sucks though. I like being able to go back to older GDQ marathons and rewatch some of the runs.

The good news for you is that SDA puts the GDQ marathons on YouTube, too.

Twitch has made some changes to their plans. Highlights can now have an indefinite length, and an appeal system has been added for VOD mutes. I think I'm okay with the new VOD system - it's a little bit of a bummer, but I can understand it if they need the resources - but even with an appeal button, the mute system is some dumbass "guilty until proven innocent" bullshit.

I have to agree with the article posted earlier that this is more likely a result of the Google deal falling through than anything. If Google can host YouTube, I think they can handle a site with less than a tenth of its traffic.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 8, 2014

• Locked thread