Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
having an electric screwdriver is nice for like installing drywall anchors where a real drill would be overkill. I rarely drill into wood and have a bigass corded power drill for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you have to use a RJ45 crimper you are subhuman trash

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
is using a circular saw w/ plywood/plastic blade overkill for cutting in-place PVC? should i spend $15 on a pvc handsaw?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm gonna drill into the side of my house this weekend. need 2 run conduit ftl. at least i can drill into the vinyl part not the brick part

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
actually I'll have to drill into the brick to mount a box but that's a much smaller hole. I think ur supposed to drill into the mortar, right?

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

PuTTY riot posted:

actually I'll have to drill into the brick to mount a box but that's a much smaller hole. I think ur supposed to drill into the mortar, right?

ya its easier and safer and plus if you mess up you can repair it very easily :shobon:

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

idk about the load bearing characteristics of mortar tho so good luck on that one

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i've had good luck cutting pvc/abs with a reciprocating saw, just gotta use a long blade so the end of it doesn't ping into the inside of the pipe

if you're cutting close to a fitting you can just rest the shoe against the fitting for a nice straight cut that'll let you put your new fitting right up tight to the old one, or better, about a blade's width away for next time

also yeah you're drilling into the mortar but look for a weep/vent hole nearby, your mason might've made that first part of your job easy on you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
drill into the mortar and try to not do it on a vertical/horizontal joint
dats how the cracks start

oh also just grab a loving saw and cut the god drat PVC. ill use my wood saw most of the time, or if the hacksaw is closer i'll grab that and cuss more

I have had success with using like the rotatey pipe cutter thing too but you have to go slow, if you crank too hard it mushrooms out the tip and you can't fit it in the hole

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
it's a tiny lil hole it's not gonna mess up structure. the holes they treat termites w/ are bigger.

also thanks autocorrect for realizing b and n are right next to each other and that 'bigger' was the word I was going for :frogbon:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

also using a recip saw lets you see what you're doing on both sides of the cut at the same time instead of having to put a bigass circular saw between your eyes and the work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
has anyone said "its u" yet?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
thanks for helping me justify buying another tool. seriously

pram
Jun 10, 2001
doesnt work in the context of the thread title my friend

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
black and decker / craftsman had this shared model tilting head screwdriver that took those tube shaped batteries up the rear end and they were fantastic, heavy, metal and hard plastic built that were really nice quality and feel

then black and decker gave up on anything remotely quality and now their screwdrivers are a piece of poo poo

btw this is what i meant

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my kneejerk answer is to get a Makita from a pawn shop and buy a couple new batteries off amazon

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i <3 my makita drill/driver

its not the heavy duty makita line but its still way more than what i need or envision myself ever needing

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

my kneejerk answer is to get a Makita from a pawn shop and buy a couple new batteries off amazon

i forget that pawn shops exist. theres a cpl here, most sell feed type supplies too

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
hello welcome to my prawn shop free prawn with every 5 prawns purchased would you like to buy a prawn today ?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
sorry im allergic

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

PuTTY riot posted:

sorry im allergic

liar

your just being shellfish

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

would

pram
Jun 10, 2001

these own

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

same but Craftsman, and they have stamped on them that they are not guaranteed for life like they tools

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

pram posted:

My kit's scattered across my car and my bench

i usually put the garbage in the garbage bin but to each its own i guess

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Whiskey

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Silver Alicorn posted:

I need a new electric drill/screwdriver that's compact

bosch professional 10.8v li-ion system is a pro choice

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im the $150 screwdriver

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I ran cable in my house and I got to buy a 1" paddle bit with a 18" shaft so that was sweet

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im gonna have to buy a 1.5" bit to get some gray PVC thru the wall i dont think i have one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
seriously though having a miniature hacksaw has been indispensable at times

I once used it to make a new heat sink fit my old video card

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

im gonna have to buy a 1.5" bit to get some gray PVC thru the wall i dont think i have one

buy a hole saw. you'll use it 20 times before you know it

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
if it cant be done w/ just a fubar, its not worth doing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i'm the three-dimensional klein bottle opener

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you're not using hilti you're doing it wrong.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
whats with all these unsourced quotes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I keep a mortar in one pocket and pestle in the other, OP

used to have them tied around my neck
with a lanyard but that was bad on the collarbone

ReptileChillock