Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Woohoo now I get to see exactly how someone who isn't terrible plays!

Looking forward to how this pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

My favorite part of past Doms LPs were the silly in-character diplomatic missives, hopefully they'll happen this time around too.

Alas, the majority of dominions diplomacy happens in IRC so you won't be getting too much of that humour...although, it IS modpud playing so you'll get fun things like

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, if Mictlan is in the game:

1.hope you aren't next to Mictlan
2.then kill Mictlan.

Yes.

Alternatively:

1. Have quality sacreds
2. Start next to mictlan
3. Rush before critical jaguar mass.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

having a were-form also helps matters

IIRC having a were-form is the most important part - the actual jag warrior isn't the good unit, the werejaguar with the bite claw claw and improved stats is.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kanthulhu posted:

What's that?

Morrigans are a Fomorian national summon that are basically non-commander super thugs for 4d/per. They're dumb and stupid and ridiculously good.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

She's joking.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Annuaniki of the Sky Throne, AKA "WELP guess I'm not getting that particular bit of my capcircle".

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Xander77 posted:

So, what are you researching and do you have a long-term strategy or something?

(Oh yeah, what do the wineskins do?)

Wineskins provide 50 supply in the province the commander holding them is stationed in, important so you don't get starving troops in death scale dominion or low supply provinces.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Neruz posted:

Fire reduces maxage and provides fire resist, normal leadership and magic leadership per path.

Fire only reduces the bonus given by nature. F2 alone won't lose you anything, you need FN for it to have an effect.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Dominions 4 is full of wonderful themes like that. LA Marignon in particular is a Spanish Inquisition-themed Christian nation that also makes pacts with the demons of hell to help them stamp out the unbelievers in the name of God.

I swear the entire game is about making shaky alliances with stuff that will eat you as soon as fight for you. EA Agartha sealbreaking, MA Ermor, LA Everyone Is A Blood Nation, Tartarians, horrors, et cetera.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

The Gentleman posted:

This seems like a flaw to be honest. It seems impossible to stop a blood nation that has gone late game, if they have invested well into their blood economy. You will be drowned by doom horrors.

There's a reason the BoT/AC fix mod puts AC up to 266 slaves.

Regardless, if you let a B/S nation get to the endgame then you have only yourself to blame. From what I can see, this is countered by them being only okay early game - you need your blood mages for blood hunting instead of reading books, blood doesn't get many good battlefield evocs, and you can't summon too many demons at once.

Plus, this is illwinter, so what even is balance.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Still, it seems like at least having the possibility to do a tower-defense-esque strategy where you don't field a substantial army, but, instead, focus on spell casting enemy armies into oblivion as they penetrate your dominion could add some interesting variety. Plus someone mentioned rituals being kind of uninteresting right now, and setting up to have some kind of spell-based airstrike capability could be interesting.

I'm not certain where you got the idea that rituals are kind of uninteresting. Magic is super useful in murdering the gently caress out of enemy armies. I, personally, will never stop loving neutering enemy armies with mass mind hunts. Admittedly, a lot of it comes at higher research - but that's to be expected of a spell that does 7+drn damage plus extra in cold dom to 50% of the enemy army. The whole deal with dominions research is that magic goes from being something you use on a single person in a fight, to something you use on a bunch of people in a fight, to something you use on a single person over the map, to something you can wipe an entire army out with over the map.

quote:

As it stands, and I'm no expert, it feels like the best you can hope for is screwing with people by making their empty provinces go neutral or temporarily fall to you. Then they just send their guys by a turn later. It's almost like all you're really doing is forcing them to micromanage more. Which is a crazy gaslighting thing to do, and seems kind of meanspirited in a game that's already unwieldy the more it progresses.

This is called raiding. Destroying your opponent's income and forcing him to divert forces that could be currently fighting you is integral to strategy. Maybe in a comp stomp, where all the computer is interested in is building infinity useless soldiers and has mans to spare, this wouldn't be a huge deal - but that's a comp stomp, and thus isn't really worthy of consideration.

Also lol if you're ~e-honouraboule~ in a video game.

quote:

I mean, I know a lot of people are going to just say 'that's not whta dom is about--it's about picking and choosing crazy combinations and getting in up to your elbows in the details', but I don't know. I think I hear about how XYZ is 'totally useless' so much from experienced players, I tend to wonder why they're even there, except as newbie traps, unless they show up because you have to buy 20X to get a Y or visa versa.

As far as Illwinter is concerned, 'balance' is a four letter word.

Mightypeon posted:

There is not that much that stopps the bless nations from also bringing their casters.

If those casters are garbage, though, the bless nation isn't going to get too far when the enemy nation is rocking turn 1 rain of stones. At a certain point, all troops are really good for is being warm bodies that can eat a magma eruption instead of your mages.

quote:

~domes~

Domes are fun. I almost killed AXE_COP's PG in noobsrus with a frost dome :kimchi:.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

no u r ded

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kial posted:

I'll just throw and post in and say I'm enjoying the thread! That giant looks like a problem. What's the plan? Would Mind Hunt work on him?

Realistically, no. He's got 26 MR, which means that any time a Magic Resist Negates spell is cast on him, the spellcaster has to roll 10 + magic pen + exploding 2d6 to beat (not tie) his 26 + exploding 2d6. Statistically, it's completely improbable and she'd be better served continuing to nuke pan's commanders.

Basically, he's invulnerable to modpud right now until she can lay down some heavy battlemagic on him or some more interesting remote target spells (like disease demon).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tulip posted:

And wouldn't disease demon take unbelievably long amounts of time to kill him?

It takes time, but it's pretty much guaranteed - I don't think sniffle giants have any way to heal diseases outside of construction items that they may not have access to. Disease is a nasty thing if you have no way of dealing with it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

sicarius posted:

Chock me down as another lurker that is enjoying the LP, but has zero to contribute at all. I've been toying with SP for a long while, but I just don't have the time/dedication to commit to an actual MP game... I like the SP experience enough in any case, but do miss diplomacy.

You don't have 15-45 minutes a day to take a single turn, plus maybe an extra 15 minutes somewhere in there to do diplomacy?

Do multiplayer, it's well worth it. The AI is garbage.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

What is the ideal ratio of masters and slaves in this type of communion? Reverse communions were a pain in the rear end to script but I'm going to miss them.

It depends on the communion. For battlemagic you're generally going for a 'turbo communion', that meaning as few slaves and as many masters as possible. Generally 1-2 slaves per master is okay to shoot for - remember that every master is putting fatigue on *all* slaves - and that slaves take different amounts of fatigue based on their paths relative to the masters'. Buffs help hugely in turbo communions, as fatigue does damage at a rate of 1 per 10 fat past 200, so with regen and reinvig a regular 10hp human mage can go from taking 100 extra fatigue to far more.

For big fuckoff master enslave/undead mastery/etc spells, generally you want the minimum number of mans necessary for the boost as at those levels of boost you're going to have a ton of slaves regardless. Boosting a path by 3 is 8 slaves, which is enough to absorb fatigue for at least two massive battlefield spells before they all die, given human slaves with no buffs.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Waaaait, I thought that was a deliberate over-the-top parody. He was serious? :psyduck:

No. He wasn't. It was a poorly executed troll and those of you who believed it even for a second should feel shame.

Seriously it was 4/10 at best

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

garth ferengi posted:

the thread should be closed and I should be permabanned

Not empty quoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

My first thought was "loss edit".

Maybe step away from the Meme thread for a couple days.

• Locked thread