Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
that really long harry potter thing from the last few pages of the previous thread.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

rotor posted:

im sure there's a good number of people who made a shitload of money on bitcoin.

every dime somebody makes off BTC comes out of somebody's pocket because it's zero sum, so good job ending marriages and foreclosing homes, bitcoin millionaires

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
wait i thought wiki already accepted them?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

haveblue posted:

pc load letter?? *googles* oh ok that makes sense

what would i do if i had a million dollars? be a horse's full toilet (everything about it)

alt: what would i do if i had a million dollars? two ponies at the same time

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Same Great Paste posted:

:cop: "license and registration"

:bigtran: "sure thing, officer. while i do not consent to this aggression against my sovereign person - if you check the blockchain, you can easily see that this car is registered to myself via coloured coin A92h1dongs811droolyDONGS113h1l."

:cop: "you're a shining beacon to us all, stay safe and god bless citizen."

please wait while I transfer this coin around so that you can tell that I actually have ownership of it

whoops sent it to a blackhole address by accident i guess now i dont own the car, it's owned by someone at 1111H1tlerD1dNothingWronggggggJewv

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

wait, which thing is shrem going to jail for again?

i will enjoy when he goes to jail

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FCKGW posted:

killhamster is at defcon playing bitcoin bingo and watching shrem wheel his ipad on a stick around on stage

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

somebody explain to me why Shrem looks like his face just got stung by like 30 bees

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

...! posted:

Andreas and I dumpster dove this rice in Sunnyvale, after the Bitcoin Job Fair. Served it up tonight and it was awesome! (imgur.com)

submitted 36 minutes ago by SeansOutpost

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SynthOrange posted:

AaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

TERA is the game with the pedo race, right?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Magrov posted:

the last line is a lie. any podcast is a waste of time.
the andy daly podcast pilot project is one of the funniest things i've ever listened to in my life, so #notallpodcasts

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
every way to pay with bitcoin involves a company uncritically taking lots and lots of bitcoins in and pumping dollars out for no particular reason

i mean, at least this one has a fee structure so they're making SOME money

edit: when does Bitpay have to conform to the New York legislation because if they can't stockpile bitcoins they aren't really doing anything at all

also is coinbase still down or what

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mido posted:

so then it's decided

all podcasts are bad

no seriously you dummies listen to andy daly:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/the-wit-and-wisdom-of-the-west-with-dalton-wilcox/

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Damiya posted:

also

Find a typo or spelling error? Email me with the details at organofcorti@organofcorti.org and if you're the first to email me I'll pay you 0.01 btc per ten errors.

5 bucks for ten errors

this is like when your granddad gives you 3 dollars to mow the lawn

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
why do they deny the existence of things that have to be paid for collectively as a class of things

the idea is that you pay for enough of them that you probably use a lot of them, like i dont currently use public schools but i do like parks roads and having police

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
i know everyone in this thread knows this, but it's so maddening: you have to pay for some services collectively, otherwise they won't get paid for. most people will opt out if they think they can - ie if taxes for roads are not compulsory, many (i'd argue most) people will try to let everyone else pay for it and then just use it themselves because they can

source: being alive, noticing things

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQqZ9b0S0BY

from the gbs thread, it is the best

edit: I think it's safe to say at this point that bitcoin is literally backed by madness

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 13, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

jre posted:

The girl in the bottom left section looks like she's being held hostage :ohdear:

im the one black person

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

quote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident. We have been cyclically betrayed, lied to, stolen from, extorted from, taxed, monopolized, spied on, inspected, assessed, authorized, registered, deceived, and reformed. We have been economically disarmed, disabled, held hostage, impoverished, enervated, exhausted, and enslaved. And then there was bitcoin.

oh no guys what a tragedy, the government has authorized me for things

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

api call girl posted:

right now it actually seems like it's majorly propped up by true believers who bought into the alarmist rants of gold sellers
i wasn't making a joke when i said that bitcoin is backed by madness. its dollar value is created by an insane frothing hatred of governments and a desire to get rich by running an app on your computer

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
100 bucks in a week. not particularly impressive for bitcoin, but pretty bad for anything else that has ever been

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
It's not elitist, it would take a very long time to fill up a hard drive that was announced today

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
you're not far off.

basically, bitcoin is a distributed ledger of transactions. rather than a central authority deciding which transactions are valid, they're validated by consensus of the network. the blockchain is a record of all these transactions, stored on thousands of computers. the software is written in such a way that trying to "lie" about past transactions is basically impossible without a majority share of the network

to gain coins (basically, have the value of addresses you control be gifted X number of coins), you solve a math problem that has to be brute forced to solve, but can be easily confirmed.

this is done by hashing a bunch of information together, including other transactions that have happened on the network. basically, when I "send" coins from me to you, what we actually do is broadcast to all nodes "ADDRESS X sends Z coins to ADDRESS Y". all the nodes then take these transactions and include them as part of the hash

your objective is to pass all your information, plus a random number, into a hash function, until the hash that is generated is less than a number the network has agreed on. this number is lower and lower as the amount of hash power on the network increases in order to keep the rate of reward coins being found to be roughly once every ten minutes (for all people mining everywhere)

one of the things included in the hash is the address to send the coins to on a successful problem solution

that's the basics, i can explain more if you have any other specific questions

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Robawesome posted:

haha you did a way better job. explaining bitcoin is hard when youre a bit high

there's a reason i get really mad when people say "people who make fun of bitcoin don't understand it" because I understand the hell out of it, and I know enough to be honestly impressed that Satoshi built something that functions AT ALL, from a algorithmic standpoint it's super good

however, if someone made a cannon that shot pigeons directly into my crotch while keeping the pigeons completely free from harm, I'd be honestly super impressed at their engineering skill and how they managed to integrate that with their understanding of targeting systems and ornithology, but I'd still consider the machine to not be accomplishing anything of value

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ripoff posted:

so what's preventing a computer from storing a bunch of known input-hash results like a rainbow table (is that what a rainbow table is? idk) and then saying "hmm gently caress they're looking for hash XXXXXXXXXXX and I have XXXZXXYYXXY why not just feed that problem in and see if it works"? or is that what they're doing? or do they re-roll the crypto process? gently caress.
i believe one of the inputs you have to use for the current block is the hash of the previous block, which you don't know until after it's solved.

and since a good hash function completely changes if you change any part of it, you could get a good enough result previously with all the other information (your address and a blank transaction list) but add in another variable and all the pre-work you've done is worthless

like I said, Satoshi thought the algorithm out really, really well. he just doesn't understand anything about economics past "things only have value because we say they do" and he never actually dealt with the problem of the size of the blockchain

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 14, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ripoff posted:

i'm just wondering what's preventing a malicious client design from yelling "BINGO" every 15 milliseconds like a senile old person at a bingo tournament and clogging up the network with bullshit claims
there's not a lot of benefit to doing it, eventually they'd probably just discard any packet coming from you, and like I said - verification is quick (you hash one function and see if it is a solution, instead of churning through billions of them)

If you get 51% of the network you can start "rainbow tabling" to a small extent (actually not that at all, but shutup). The network always accepts the longest valid block, so imagine this scenario:

two miners solve a block at the same time, and broadcast to their peers "i have solved this" each peer takes the first block of length CURLENGTH that they receive

This results in block A(and therefore, miner A getting the rewards) being the correct block by 60% of the network, and block B (and therefore, miner B getting the rewards) being the correct block by 40% of the network

now, you'd expect this means that block A will be part of the definitive chain. however, one of the nodes that accept block B gets incredibly lucky, and happens to find a new solution after just one minute of accepting block B. So it announces "i found block C, which is built from B!" to the rest of the network

this block has no competition, so it fully propagates to everyone, and they all accept it. you can then see the problem - block A no longer exists. if miner A spent his coins during that minute, the person he sent them to will find that they were never his to send, and that person therefore might have already given him his bagel and he left the store. this is why you wait for multiple "confirmations". collisions are FAIRLY rare, and multiple collisions in a row are QUITE rare, but they do happen, and any transactions only contained in orphaned blocks are just gone now (the standard wait to be TOTALLY SURE is 6 confirmations, because 6 in a row is so unlikely as to be basically impossible).

now, back to the 51% attack - I have over half the hashing power on the network (I'm Ghash.io on certain days, apparently). I mine a block with a valid solution (Block D). instead of publishing that to everyone, i keep that info to myself and start working on the next block. Someone else finds a solution and broadcasts block E. However, since I have over 50% of the hashing power, I know that it is likely I will find block F(using block D) before anyone finds their own block, so I churn away and publish block F(which points to D), effectively wiping E from existence. I also KNOW I can do this, so I can buy things with bitcoin, not include the transaction with block D, let it be published in E, and then overwrite E so it never happened, meaning I still have the coins you thought you had

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sad about me to beeing a greedy
rotor, please do what must be done

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dren posted:

i will found an exchange where people can trade worthless fiat for these incredible cannons that will free us from the shackles of government and enable a true free market

i understand this technology, but I fear for my ability to control my crotch if it ever becomes mainstream

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ripoff posted:

sorry to make you effortpost you can call me a shitlord now and tell me to get out
nah, I enjoy it, and I can just repost it later if somebody else has questions

and yeah, the way the protocol is setup is really cool and the only glaring flaw in the protocol is the same problem with any distributed file - everybody having to keep a copy of the thing is nuts, and in turn creates the 7-per-second transaction limit (which can't be increased without also exponentially increasing the rate the blockchain grows)

all the other problems with bitcoin are what the machine does, not how it's built -

the biggest of these is that it is inherently deflationary which is dumb as hell, it's literally the only part of the system where I think Satoshi was actively stupid

also, they're only backed by the madness of libertarians, so I'd like better backing, too

the lack of chargebacks is a completely unacceptable flaw and also intrinsically necessary for a distributed system afaik, I can't imagine a scenario where you could fix it without creating a central authority. if someone invented a version of bitcoin where you could somehow do chargebacks i'd honestly think you had a workable payment method but I suspect it's impossible

the fact that you can't confirm ownership of an address except by demonstrating that you can move money from it is super dumb. there's also no way to prove that you have LOST ownership, which is why we don't know whether or not Satoshi will just sell his million coins someday

...I'm actually not sure if there are any other "flaws" with Bitcoin. so I can only think of 5 base issues, 2 of which could probably be fixed (deflationary and ownership), and 3 of which are showstopping root problems with the very idea of BTC

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

My Linux Rig posted:

idgi if bitpay just sells it's bitcoins immediately and the overstock numbers are right, why isn't the price lower than it is right now
we aren't sure what bitpay is doing, I suspect they're hoarding and slowly eating through their investor money in the hopes that the price spikes again and they can then sell

otherwise, since they just announced they process for free, they have 0 dollars worth of inputs as far as I can tell? the only way they can possibly expect to make money is from selling bitcoin in the future

edit: we can talk with him now since we all died at the end of the last thread

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Crust First posted:

you can confirm ownership quite easily without moving coins at all. it's just public key crypto, so you can sign any message required as proof. it's just like pgp/gpg, except instead of being impossible to use for normal people, it's impossible to use for normal people and also stupid.
right, but the tools to easily do so aren't really there. if the standard wallet app had a "generate signature" button and a "this signature means control of this address" text field and button it would be pretty simple, which is why I don't consider it an intrinsically broken part of the protocol, just something that requires you sitting down and spending ten minutes explaining what's happening to someone

which is, by the way, saying "you can trust me because of this system, which you don't understand, but trust me it works"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
i'm not certain we're in much disagreement. what i think they should have is just a simple format where you can enter your private key, have it ping the network in some way, and have the ledger contain "Address X verified as owned with attached message: XXXXXXXXXX" so that you've got something contained within the protocol, not just some random thing only using the underlying public key cryptography it's built on. I geuss that creates the problem of spamming "transactions", though.

the way of solving it that you're describing is basically more bitcoin that bitcoin is in clumsiness. i get that it's possible, but it's not a good solution, and i think it's a usability issue with the protocol

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sniep posted:

bitcoins are like toasters

people who are really, really /into/ them are weird as hell

that_thing_with_erotic_toaster_sex.txt

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

stoutfish posted:

a toaster needs to be blessed by a rabbi before it can turn bread into toast.

speaking of jews, it's weird that if you toast a slice of bread it BECOMES toast, but if you toast a bagel it becomes a toasted bagel

i recommend we start referring to it as jewtoast or "nadab and abihu breakfast"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
where's the guy in the dunce cap drawing lines on the graph i dont think we've had it in version 2.19

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

chris elliot did not age well

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FCKGW posted:

lmao if you think that if you bought Bitcoins in the >$10 you wouldn't have sold them all during the first $32 bubble

"oh yeah if I bought Bitcoins at $1 I totally would have called the $1000 peak 2 years, 2 bubbles and months of 0 volume later.

Yup - let's not be crazy - if I had bought when I first heard of then I would have made a lot of money - probably by buying at 2 and selling at 10-11. But you would have to be insane to see the first bubble burst and assume it would next get to like 800 bucks

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
who posted that

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
how do we stop people from coming to a consensus about how much things are worth, we need free market price floors

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
i am pretty amazed at how these people don't understand what an exchange like this is

"buy at $2000 so that we can get the price to $2000, then you can sell at $2000 and, uh..."

the WHOLE POINT of exchanges is that you can't manipulate the price without a dominant share in the thing, and everyone buys at the lowest price they can, and sells at the highest they can

they simply dont understand that its a marketplace - they think of the price as being set by a central authority and buyers and sellers manipulate it. no, that price exists in the minds of the buyers and sellers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

haveblue posted:

what is this

im a man who likes a thick ask

• Locked thread