Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I endorse this thread as the official thred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I met a real life bitcoiner the other day, it was a trippy experience. he's not a true believer, just trying to make money and claims to be doing so successfully. I pretended not to know anything about bitcoins.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that video was disturbing and I'm feeling very uneasy right now.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

the way bitcoiners unironically mix "fygm" and "for the good of the community" is one of my very favorite things about them

sometime rational actors need to have faith

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sniep posted:

im fairly certain most people understand exactly how a toaster works

are there really people out there mystified by it and just writing it off like "well, so far, i put in bread and push the lever and then you just gotta wait for a minute while the magic happens and out comes toast - i dont get it but it's so convenient! i don't have to visit the toastkeeper in the mornings any longer as this magic box does it for me! I wonder what is going on in there though?"

you'd be amazed at how many people "just never thought about it"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

a social network with no women, didn't google try that already?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

RubberJohnny posted:

[–]Bit_By_BitLong-term Holder [score hidden] an hour ago
It really is like watching your infant slowly die of cancer over the last 10 months - hopefully the death comes quick and painlessly so that I don't have to sink any more of my heart into it :(

I want to stab this person in the face

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
haha, you thought you agreed to have sex with me, but in fact this greasy nerd is the real owner of the sexcoin and if you refuse to follow through on this transaction then it is reverse-rape.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm the payment processor that tells you "welp," when I can't give you your money.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the rights of the people to intimidate their neighbors shall not be infringed. I don't see how that burning cross hurts anyone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
once you go rational, you can't be wrong

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm going to start referring to myself as a statist.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the obsession with the blockchain is that it is "the literal truth". I.e., anything in it cannot be a lie because math has proven that it is true and can't be faked. in a world of shades of gray, the blockchain is black and white. they find it comforting, it is the one thing they can put their faith in. humans can't be trusted, laws can't be trusted, only the literal truth of the blockchain can be trusted absolutely. everything else flows from that.

now replace blockchain with the bible and math with God and congratulations now you understand that bitcoin is a religion. but it is a religion tailored to sperg libertarian anti-society idiots that promises wealth, power, and freedom from the vagaries of human society.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DaTroof posted:

i get a similar impression from libertarian faith in "the invisible hand"

it is in that there is no reality backing the concept of the invisible hand, it just feels true and is a very easy concept to believe in because of its purity and lack of responsibility.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Krinkle posted:

cb75075 • 11 minutes ago
Can the people criticizing on this forum explain exactly what the criticism is?

How is a failed land deal any representation of failed libertarian ideas?

1. This is a failed land deal with possible fraud. So what. No libertarian says there aren't problems or criminals.
2. The people involved invested THEIR OWN money. They never used someone else's money ie from a tax payer which is force.
3. They LOST their OWN money and NOT someone else's. They did not force someone else to pay for a failed land deal. They are all financially damaged and these aren't rich people.
4. THEY got hurt and are taking the responsibility to rectify THEIR OWN PROBLEM. Again no initiation of force. THEY are dealing with their own problem.

So HOW is this exactly some example of failed libertarian principles? In fact it represents how people should interact ie in a voluntary way using their own resources and solving their own problems.

the great thing about libertarianism is that taxes are force (which is the worst infringement of my rights) but shooting people for lying is cool.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

trucutru posted:

It's both. You can see it as an absolute (1% higher) or relative (33% higher) value.

no, it's 33 percent higher or 1 percentage point higher. it is not 1 percent higher.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Greyhawk posted:

one thing i've noticed that's not just related to libertarians or their ilk, is anyone calling themselves "non-violent" is usually actually using that word as code for "i would really really like to kick your rear end, but i'm a scrawny dude and i'd probably get my butt whooped instead"

they are non-violent unlike your statist police forces and tax man. in libertarian paradise these things don't exist but neither do armed gangs, organized crime bosses, or armies for hire because it is in their rational self interest to be non-violent. if someone breaks into your house, murders your family, and settles in it to live, you can give them a scammer tag.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
buttstuffcoin

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Greyhawk posted:

getting his head flash frozen until someone unplugs that freezer due to nonpayment.

the way all of these will end

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the irony of libertarians being smacked hard by the realities of capitalism and the invisible hand moving money out of their pockets and into those of scammers is the real magic of bitcoins.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FrozenVent posted:

until he became the smartest girl in America

one day some lucky goon will make him the smartest woman

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DaTroof posted:

this might actually work. maybe if they assign the authority to decree the value of bitcoin to a group of people that represent their interests

bitcoiners literally invent fiat currency

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
one buttcoiner going to prison, another loses a whole lot of money, bitcoins slowly deflating. don't nobody say it ain't happening anymore.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
"news" site vox

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
unemployed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I saw a car with a bitcoin sticker today. looking at the driver the first thought that crossed my mind was "computer janitor"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you accept the premise then the plot doesn't really matter, the entertainment is derived from your philosophy proving itself correct

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Elder Postsman posted:

wait is this for real. like this is actually in atlas shrugged? this is dumber than i ever imagined that book to be.

and seriously lmao at this narrator rear end in a top hat. death to all objectivists.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Greyhawk posted:

it's a multisig yeah

despite this idiot's plan to give them a divorce-proof present, they will be storing both private keys together. in the trash can if they're smart.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
none of this ever happened because no cop knows what bitcoins are, nobody was just carrying around printed wallets to give to people, and I'm pretty sure there are no black people that use bitcoins because libertarians are racist as gently caress

the whole post is get mad about the state and look at how bitcoins defeated them

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bluecobra posted:

maybe i can jam the bill acceptor with pokemon cards

it would be wrong not to do this

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mido posted:

you mean a bitcoin dispenser? or does it go both ways

it's actually a bitcoin vending machine, not actually a teller in any sense

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Jesus loving Christ don't debate or take medical advice from fishmech

I dated a girl that studied in Africa so now I can't give blood. it turns out that it's not a right to give blood and since I'm in a high risk group then I won't risk someone else's life due to my ignorance like a goon that knows better than everyone else.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dren posted:

:siren::siren::siren: bitcoiner spelled ridiculous correctly :siren::siren::siren:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Samurai Quack posted:

I know that's bad but I don't remember why

aside from the previously stated, it's also the most amateurish error you can make when dealing with money on computers

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
how do I get in on this anti-bitcoin shilling money? all this time I've been considering it charity work

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dr. Honked posted:

it's on its way back to the moon now, panic over

moon is on the other side of the earth right now, it's trying to get there by going through the floor

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Krinkle posted:

I remembered it being about bitcoin too but when I saw the chinese whale idea making him break his knuckles trying to put a hole in his wall I didn't ask questions.

yep. and we had the whole middle class discussion before because of it, too.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Weatherman posted:

buttmunchers show they are true colours

edit: hang on a second. if the us dollar has gone, then what are butters going to take for their butts?

they will accept payment in gold, land, or teenage daughters, which they will then use to pay their ISP and buy gasoline for the generator that powers their computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Phoning It In posted:

if the future isn't going to be all mad maxed out it's still a good idea to have friends who know how to Do A Thing even just as a reminder that sitting in front of a computer all day isn't the only skill people have that makes the world as we know it turn which i guess some people have forgotten since we have dumb bullshit like bitcoin and belief in the singularity

it's also good to know bitcoiners because their flesh will feed a family for a long time

• Locked thread