Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slow Motion posted:

Lie on your resume. Make up a work history. Your lack of work is a HUGE red flag that hiring managers are interpreting to mean you're unemployable (which is bullshit. But that's how they see it). Then when you go in to interview let them know what you did and why. Not right away. Make a good impression first. Then halfway through the interview let them know. Ask how it makes them feel. If they say they can't hire you having learned that information ask them what they would do in your position. Basically let that interviewer train you for the next. Rinse. Repeat.

You have nothing to lose. Start acting like it.
No. Don't do this.

Most reputable, half-decent employers will call up your old employers to confirm your dates of employment. And if they can't reach said employer, they'll request a paystub or Record of Employment. If you can't provide any of these they'll terminate you. I've seen people get walked out of the office for this. It's a walk of shame that's 100% preventable.

My suggestion- indicate that you were doing some sort of self-study/online courses while you were unemployed. But, holy crap for all that is sacred, if you're applying for anything that's better than a Carl's Greasy Spoon do not lie about your work history.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

slap me silly posted:

- Don't obfuscate your dates of employment (it's really obvious when people do that) but do list it like this:
2007-2008: Research Analyst
2002, 2003: Telephone interviewer, SRBI
Months don't matter.
I'm going to go and disagree with this. Months do matter to many employers, especially when the applicant started and left a job in the same year. Even moreso if they held >2 jobs in a year. Seeing applicants list 'Job XYZ, 2007 to 2007' is very suspect, because they either worked there for a week, or for a year.

Everything else slap me silly has said is rock-solid, though.

• Locked thread