Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Spacewolf posted:

I shall. Once the NYTimes paywall falls (since I don't read it enough to pay for a subscription, but do read 10 articles a month...).

If you Google the title of the article you can bypass the paywall.

Spacewolf posted:

OK, so. Maybe this is my depression talking, but I'll lay out my situation.

In real life, I'm 30. I have a cocktail of disabilities, being blind in one eye (and unable to drive because the other eye is in a weird limbo between not legally blind and yet not truly functional) is only the most notable. (Also includes stuff like cerebral palsy, etc).

Does your resume in any way allude to your being disabled or can someone figure it out from looking at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Spacewolf posted:

No. I was never one for the disability organizations, and I would have been terrified of losing shots because people figure out I'm disabled.

I do, however, mention it in my cover letter, every time - only after my shrink prodded me to include it, though. I'm still wondering if that was a good idea.

Unless you are applying for a special snowflake nonprofit or civil service job, it's an awful idea and you might even want to find another therapist because yours does not know what he's talking about. You can talk your way past your disabilities once you get to an interview, especially at a nonprofit, but no private lawyer is ever interviewing a paralegal who says they're disabled in a cover letter. What happens if they don't have ADA accommodations or just treat you harshly and you sue them? It's a minefield that they're not going to touch. Don't do this.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

moana posted:

Solution: be so drat good at the other work that they don't mind getting someone else to deliver their stupid packages for them.

Right now you are not getting interviews.
Start worrying about these problems once you have gotten interviews.

This. The day you're hired is the day you can go up to your boss and tell him that you can't drive so somebody else should do courthouse runs (but don't worry, you're a very fast typer and can compensate). The day before you're hired is the day to shut up and not bring it up.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Aristotle Animes posted:

I don't quite agree on this but I suppose that's because at this point I'm in a position of not taking any job i can find and instead wanting a job that fits. I would feel like poo poo working in a place where I wasn't qualified or capable of performing one of the basic expectations of the position. If you just need a job, and I have been there, then I suppose I could tolerate it but I would be looking for an exit asap.

He's never going to be the only paralegal there (if he is he wouldn't get hired anyway, because tbh solos won't take a risk) so having somebody else do couriers in exchange for doing something else he's good at is not the end of the world. You're not wrong but this type of stuff isn't really that black and white. More importantly, bringing up "btw I am disabled/cannot do X" -before even getting in the door- is a good way of never getting a job for fifty years even if it's true.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Cover letter:

-you have some grammar issues. Not a lot, but noticeably so. Also, at least capitalize your own major.
-you put down your CC certificate/associate's ahead of your bachelor's, which just looks weird. You're trying to highlight your good GPA in this program over everything you did in college, but you're doing this wrong and in a way that attracts negative attention. The correct way is something like "I have a bachelor's from XYZ and just graduated from a paralegal training course with a 3.7 GPA".
-don't ever say "I wish to be a paralegal in {three different areas of law having nothing to do with each other}". Rookie mistake. BTW, you -are- looking at the firm's website to check what areas they focus on, right?

Resume:

-you went out of your way to conspicuously highlight your gaps. Why are you putting down your months of employment in your jobs section while not giving any dates for education?
-why is your references section before your employment?
-more grammar issues

These won't ding you on their own but they're certainly not helping. If you want to be serious about work, start here.

• Locked thread