Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
What skills do you have? What kinds of jobs are you qualified for? Could you do work-from-home stuff or would that just make you more depressed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Agreed, take that poo poo out. Including it makes it seem like it's something you feel strongly about; they might think you expect special accomodations. Show up and rock the poo poo out of the interviews without mentioning a drat thing.

One of my best hires was a woman who showed up to the interview very pregnant. She was qualified, and we hired her no questions asked, and she continued to work her rear end off up until she delivered and soon after came back to work; she's one of our best tutors. If she had put that front and center on her cover letter, I would have thought twice about calling in her in, simply because it strikes me that the kind of person to say that in a cover letter would also be possibly someone who would sue if we interviewed and didn't hire them, or who would expect lots of special accomodation.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Spacewolf posted:

It *does* impact things. Where I live, because we're a suburban-ish area, paralegals are *usually* expected to do courier runs (eg to the courthouse, etc). It's never written down anywhere but usually is expected, I'm told by lawyers and teachers.
Solution: be so drat good at the other work that they don't mind getting someone else to deliver their stupid packages for them.

Right now you are not getting interviews.
Start worrying about these problems once you have gotten interviews.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Spacewolf posted:

3. Resume and cover letter service from Goon - Looking at this. His prices are *very* steep when you pay all but $60 of a $700 monthly check into bills. I'd need the complete package, and that runs, what, $400? I'd love to do this, but not sure how I'd get the money (aside from begging parents, who are guaranteed to say "Why do you need to spend $400 on a resume and cover letter, do it yourself and listen to your therapist")
So just go post in the resume thread or post them up here for us to help.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

just take out your name and address and put in SPACEWOLF, nobody is going to hunt you down.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Spacewolf posted:

Part of my problem is that a ton of my skills come from hobbies and the like - not stuff you'd put on a resume. I'm *regularly* responsible for customer service as an admin on one game I play on - granted, the game is small, but you still learn how to deal with crazy people from the Internet. And so on, and so forth. Numerous times, my whine of the moment has been "Holy crap, I do this poo poo to run a game...And I can't even put it on a resume!
You can mention this stuff in the interview, as long as you've already come across as a normal person then you should be fine.

BUT. If you take the same amount of time you put into the game and start putting it into your own business or work-related portfolio (do things for free for people to build your portfolio, then start charging more) then you'll have something to fill that gap. Build up applicable skills that you can use now to create an income stream. It's exhausting looking for a job all day. Do half-job looking, half skills-building/startuping, and you'll be happier and more productive imo.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Spacewolf posted:

So I'm not sure what I could do that would be job-relevant and yet also not unauthorized practice of law. Maybe I'm just not thinking creatively enough.
Do you have any other interests apart from your job? I was doing math tutoring when I started writing romance novels on the side and learning graphic design to make my book covers. Now, I have all the graphic design work I want and am quitting to write full-time and start my own publishing company. You could learn how to do a million different things, don't lock yourself into one small corner of whatever job you were "trained" for. Train yourself to do whatever you want! The internet is your oyster :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

My dentist is a trained professional, maybe I should ask him if I need to include "weak enamel" as a bullet point on my next resume.

• Locked thread