Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I read all my lovely sci-fi schlock books in English instead of my native language, because local translations are often pretty low effort and occasionally even internally inconsistent in the same series when translators were switched around.

Higher profile and more respected works tend to have better translations. I've read many Terry Pratchet books and Tolkien works in German because they belong to my father who doesn't speak English and they've got pretty solid translations, although I've got one Pratchet book sitting around somewhere in which the translator worked very heavily with on-page footnotes to explain some examples of word play jokes that were difficult to translate. This is not normally something a publisher will accept from a translator peon so in this case the translator must have had an especially apathetic publisher or a good relationship with them.

Once you get into real high literature canon stuff, things are different because they often date from a period where translating stuff wasn't something you could just hire out to some peon for 3 cents on the word online, so I'm less qualified to comment on that :v: Also I've never felt compelled to seek out a German translation to Thoreau or Emerson or something from that period. (My first degree was a useless Literature degree).

I'm studying to be a translator so I even though I prefer to read English works in the original language (and most of my university literature was in English anyway) it's still very interesting to look at German translations, not just in books but in other mediums too.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread