Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Beautiful start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

mushi posted:

I've said this before, but solo queue banning strategy is sort of pointless because you have an equal chance that you're banning your teammates out as you are your enemies. So here's what you can do by going to lolking:

1) ban by power - sort by winrate and ban the top 3 winrate champions.
2) ban what enemies are likely to want to play - sort by popularity.
3) ban what your teammates expect - sort by banrate.

There's a bit of wiggle room for error because ban rate sometimes lowers a champion's popularity, but in general people love loving playing vayne and lee sin despite their trash tier winrates. Just looking at the stats right now, Morg is probably the only champion who would overtake Tristana in popularity if she weren't banned so much. The other top-banned champions, yasuo and braum, probably wouldn't be picked as much as Leona.

Also I think it's hilarious that of the top 10 most effective/overpowered/winningest champions in solo queue, only Talon sees any level of significant bans. Also the list of top 10 winrate champions is totally different than it was like a few months ago, with the exception of the loving mummy who has literally been a top winrate champion as far back as I can remember. I think he even ate a few nerfs, but apparently having a kit of "I have a giant aoe root ultimate and I do damage just by standing next to you" is all you need for solo queue success.

Edit: I do like the idea of changing the banning system to prevent certain synergies if you can recognize them in the enemy team. Like if they pick Yasuo, you can ban some popular champions with displacement abilities. Whatever dota uses, I don't know I don't play dota.

I usually just ask bans in teamchat and then do what they want. Usually I wind up banning one champion I hate playing against/is OP but I'm more there to keep my team happy :v:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
The key takeaway from Ascension is that Nidalee is somehow even MORE frustrating to play against. Whee !

:v:
I really like the mode but it kind of comes with the "It'd be 600 times better if certain champions were removed permanently" caveat. I'm thinking Poppy, Akali, Nidalee at least.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 21, 2014

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Hello guys! Been a while but I still play. Do wanna play more goon normals- do people still hang out on IRC or what?

Been grinding ranked a bit for S5. I've entered the most frustrating zone possible right now. When I play mediocre or poorly I've gotten great teammates and win anyway, then I play well and we lose because I couldn't carry. Soooo weird D:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Methanar posted:

I get reported literally every game.

Why did I get this?

Hahahaha Mystery Skin 2015 is totally Santa Nashor icon all over again

I got Full Machine Viktor. Guess I should play him more :v:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
It's almost as if every lane is capable of having a huge impact on a game in different ways

But really, there's no "role" that's optimal or best for carrying. Each role can have a impact by knowing when your power peaks are and taking advantage of game situations where you can make a big impact, either for yourself or for your team.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Servaetes posted:

I'm late but realistically dude do goons like anything?

Goons like telling people they don't like things

The goon experience

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I forgot how awful placement matches are and how frustrating they are when you lose a close one. I wish Riot would just drop me from Plat to Silver so I can at least know what I have to climb to hit my Diamond goal this season. :x

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 27, 2015

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
3-7 placements, went from Plat II to Gold I. I'm actually okay with this given how stupid most of my placements were. I keep thinking I'll be in Silver after a bad run, but I have the same issue Libertine does where the start always goes badly for me.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Libertine posted:

If you aren't in auto attack range on Ziggs, propel yourself forward with a satchel charge and commence assault.

On Orianna, Shockwave as many people as possible into you to max attacks. Optimally just flash into their team with the ball on you already and then just self fire it and start autoing like a boss.

These are my helpful tips for how you can aggressively trade more with these auto attacking mages. Don't forget your Lich Bane rush.

I know you're being fecicious but Ziggs' passive is very useful in laning phase, pushing towers, and the "satchel into auto attack" move is a fun move to finish a cleanup on a fleeing hero (where you know the other heroes are dead).

That said if you're using it in a teamfight or poking then you get what you deserve.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Libertine posted:

My solution to this problem is to keep all the trinkets exactly the same as they are but change the icon to be the shape of a Sword, and call each of them the Yellow Sword Ward, the Red Sweeping Sword, and the Blue Shooting Sword.

Boom, everyone buys them every game.

e: The upgraded versions just have the word Super in front of them and the icon changes to 2 or 3 swords.

Riot should spread a rumor that "better vision control" is factored into LP gains and losses and that upgrading your trinket is one easy way to improve it.

Boom, everyone buys the upgraded things.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Just once I want to start a season and not wind up in a 7-10 game hole below .500 and have to just grind hard just to get back to .500. I went 3-7 in my promos too, arrgghh.

:smith:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah, kat's problem isn't her ultimate, it's that her reset mechanics create this weird paradigm where with enough damage and the right circumstances she just points and clicks your team dead with Shunpo and Q, and your counterplay is to get vaporized on .05 seconds.

Of course right now the enemy team first picked Kat so I'll trip report when she kills my entire team eight times!

Edit: Random new topic but I was wondering this: How do new people possibly even do the jungle without full runes/masteries? It's absolute murder even with runes/masteries.

I feel like Riot should just give everyone "jungler" rune and mastery default pages beacuse man the jungle is ridiculously punishment if you don't have "the right" things

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 6, 2015

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
hello goons I could use your help

Who in a top lane is a good pick against Irelia with the express goal in mind of just not feeding horrendously and being able to contribute? Preferrably easy to play, too.

I was forced into top last ranked game and Irelia was taken. I did ok but then she just stomped me once she got TF. (I picked Jarvan because he was one of the few bruisers I feel comfortable with, did really lousy)

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 22, 2015

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Nietzschean posted:

What champions are you comfortable with? I usually just pick Heimerdinger.

I can play Nasus or Swain. i thought Nasus was bad against Irelia, but I guess I was wrong. I'll try to remember that next time, thanks!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Edit: Oops double post

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Bubble-T posted:

I don't know what league you're in but why don't you just play Swain? I think it's a reasonable matchup that becomes good once you have RoA, just hold your Q for if she jumps on you.

Top lane feels the most suited to him it's ever been since I started playing league. A lot of the common top lane picks can't really kill him so you are free to farm up your RoA and you're not expected to push the wave + roam like a midlaner is (which swain is pretty bad at).

Well I mostly forgot Swain even exists :v:

ungulateman posted:

"How cheap are they going to have to make QSS until people realise it's the best item in the game?" - my friend

"400 gold so you can start with it and two pots. :v:" - me

"yeah starting the game with three summoners seems real gud"

I mean it's really good but keep in mind that if you buy it you are slowing your build down. If you're an ADC and you prioritize you it's that much longer before you become a huge damage dealer.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Also one other thing since I'm here: What does it take to get from plat to diamond? I'm stuck in Plat V and it makes me so frustrated that I will play an S+ tier game one game and win, and then play okay/decent/lousy and then lose the next. Right now I'm just trying to get back to .500 on the season D:

What areas do you diamond players think a plat player like me would lack that would prevent me from getting there?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Just played the game of my life, hit so many bubbles, amazing tidal waves, saves, everything... and I still lost. Man, I wish this game didn't have such terrible lows.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 1, 2015

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
When do you Diamond goons play and all that? I'd love it if you guys could give me some pointers- I'm really struggling in Platinum, even just trying to get back to .500 (seriously being under .500 is super not fun) for the second time this season. I can't seem to figure out why I'm just not good enough.

Edit: Or if there's some way to record I can see if I can pull that off.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 12, 2015

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I was Gold 1 last season. For this season am I just at the mercy of placement matches or is there a pretty good chance win or lose games that I'll get Gold again?

You'll wind up in Gold unless you go like 1-9 and feed awfully or something. Maybe Silver I at absolute worst.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Coca Koala posted:

After starting playing league a couple weeks ago, I played in bot matches up to level 9 and then joined the pvp 5v5 playlist.

Three games against real people, and I won all of them. Strongly considering retiring as an undisputed champion.

Great idea actually, it's all downhill from here

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
sigh why is tank Fizz viable, Fizz is a dumb champion to play against

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Support is a blast when your team is good, but by everything it's an absolute miserable experience when your solo lanes are derping.

Curse you league, I got a winstreak and got dreams of diamond, and now I'm on another losing streak :argh:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

mistaya posted:

I have similar thoughts when I see a yasuo lockin on my team. The worst part is when you go Janna to support the yasuo, line up a perfect 5 man ultimate tornado for him, and he never hits the loving button.

gently caress all pubbie yasuos forever.

I get really nervous when I see off-meta or uncommon picks on the enemy team because I know they are probably savants in playing them.

I also get nervous when I see super popular "op" picks in my team because they'll probably suck D:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Hey goons, how do you stop tilting in the middle of a game? I have a serious problem where I get into a ranked game, things start losing and I start sucking, and then I want to yell at myself and profusely apologize. Sometimes I rage at other players but mostly I just get mad at myself for making mistakes and losing the game.

After I lose that game I feel awful and am smart enough to take a break (usually until tomorrow, until the cycle repeats) but I just don't know how to control myself in the moment. My emotions just drive me nuts and I wish I was able to be chill like most people.

Like I really want to make a push for diamond (in plat III atm) this season but I keep playing really swingy (win a few, lose a few, can't get consistent), and I just really don't know how to stay calm during a game. The worst games are the ones where things start going wrong from the first ten minutes.

Has anyone else gone through this, and any tips for staying calm? I'm a little bit better in regular games though sometimes I lose my cool (and then feel awful again afterwards).

What's weirder is that in like any other facet of life (work, personal, etc) people would describe me as a super chill, friendly guy, but I don't get why games just bring this absolute monster out of me =/

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 4, 2015

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Libertine posted:

I had a bunch of friends try to get into it brand new early last year and they all quit since. I feel like the game is extremely saturated at this point (it is almost six years old) and there are no new players except for people who are like legitimately new to PC Gaming all together who are probably like 10-15 years old.

Yeah, I've been hanging around in Silversquid/etc and it seems like most people play in their established groups (which I have a couple) but in Heroes of the Storm I can find random goons for a game likely within 5-10 minutes at worst, usually pretty quickly. That's been the most surprising thing.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Libertine posted:

triple sheen miracle dream

Why can't I make Trinity Sheen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Okay so I have been playing again since a loooong break and been trying to play.

I could use the advice of goons. What are some good mastery pages to have at this point? Haven't really fiddled around too much, but I have no idea what's good or bad at this juncture.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 21, 2015

• Locked thread