Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Yea seems like mission accomplished on Sona's rework. They have more tangible things to balance on her kit so she can be adjusted up and down, it looks 100% cooler when you're using her kit now, and she basically does the same as she did before but slightly better.

I think the aura zones are pretty cool and its fun to go around in a teamfight 'tagging' people and helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Darth Windu posted:

For reference, his ap ratios are worse than Leona's.

Not true.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

VHGS posted:

Ryze's ult doesn't have an AP ratio.

Checkmate atheists.

Ryze's ult is an AP ratio multiplier due to splash damage, check mated again

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Colonel Squish posted:

People who play AP Tristana mid and have more than double deaths over kills are the most frustrating people to have on your team.

The ham never stops. I'm going to have nightmares of that loving yordle Rocket Jumping solo into Vayne/Annie/Xerath again and again and again.

Dude, c'mon... i just need a few more d-rings...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

mortons stork posted:

The guy who mentioned it before reminded me to ask: has there ever been a reason to build stark's fervor in the last 3 years?
Also what happened to soul shroud, cause I only now got reminded that item existed and yet I used to build it every game on support. They took away a lot of poo poo I apparently don't miss at all. Like mana manipulator.

I build Stark's Fervor... on Tryndamere... 3 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfL9Ym1ylM

Also props to Cory for wondering why we are always playing on full servers. That wasted thing says I've spent like 60 days on league. I've went from 1200 mmr in season 2 to 1500-1600 mmr in season 4 with a year break inbetween so I'm pretty pleased with my improvements. I hope to get to plat by the end of this season and im really focusing on improving while playing ranked and on feeding relentlessly when playing normals.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
If you're ever in a losing streak, and you think the world is out to get you, realize that you're not alone. I watch Imaqtpie's stream all the time and he has lost over 200 LP on his smurf over the past 3 days. He wanted to get his challenger LP to 600 from 500 and had a big plan to do it and is now sub 300 lp. Dyrus lost something like 15 games in a row yesterday and Meteos went 5-15 in 20 games.

The only person who never loses is Wildturtle, so don't feel bad if you lose in soloqueue. Everyone poops. I mean loses.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

NTT posted:

I use private tunnel. 20 bux got me 100 gigs of traffic through their service and it only adds 30-50 ping to my latency.

E; free Vpns are rear end, you pretty much need to pay for one.

Why do you do this? Whats the benefit here? It seems like paying 20 dollars a month to add 30-50 ping to your latency is a really bad deal.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Colonel Squish posted:

Those shows are unwatchable. The amount of interesting content should be made into little 2 minute clips the day after or something.

Listen, ok, you have thorin, ok, who has some decent opinions, ok, but wrapped in one of the douchiest human beings, ok, that you could ever imagine, ok, and the thing with this guy is, ok, is that he makes his show unwatchable, ok.

The stuff coming out of his mouth and twitter remind me of what a 14 year old version of me might have thought was cool. It is no surprise that his first esport love is like CS:GO or whatever event has a bunch of screaming man children yelling raped over and over again.

Edit: On support morg I go zhonyas if I am getting way ahead, before finishing frost queens maybe even. But I always get sight stone second. I get SS in lane before level 2 GP/10 item almost always because it lets me transition to sweeper really fast and get wards down.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I'm Gold 3 and I have a 60% win rate on thresh in over 30 games post nerfs???? He is really good. He is ranged so you can reliably harass the enemy bot lane without having to go all in like Leona. He provides utility in a losing lane which blitzcrank doesn't (don't pick blitzcrank). You can 2v1 the enemy bot lane level 1 by walking up to your melee creeps, auto harass the adc and flay them when they go to trade, at this point your ADC should be hitting them also. Good job you won the trade and will get level 2 first.

Hook is still great. Flay is great. Lantern still saves lives. Box still super slows. As long as Thresh has this collection of skills he will be useful.

Like seriously don't try to say Thresh sucks then advocate picking Blitzcrank. That champ does little to nothing for your ADC unless you are a god and can land every hook on the enemy ADC and not pull their leona or braum into your team.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Probably just a really funny meta joke by the patch notes team, who in general are pretty funny.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

fnox posted:

I'm 13/2/13 with 200 CS as Lucian, we're winning something hardcore, my connection goes out, I reconnect in less than 4 minutes, enemy team has Baron, and are pushing in our mid inhibitor, while one of the last things I did was take their mid inhibitor. We lose.

What the gently caress.

Seems like a lot of your teams power was sitting with you, you put them in a 4v5 for 4 minutes, what do you expect? Edit: Also it was late enough for you to be getting an inhib & for them to take baron so when the power levels are that big for both teams unless you're massively ahead they can easily press a 4v5

Also I've had tons of DCs lately in my games :( And all on my team. I hate that kind of bad luck. I wanna be that reddit guy who got to diamond because the enemy team had a DC in like 75% of his games ,not the guy who loses his series because he gets a DC in back to back games.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 13, 2014

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Baldbeard posted:

How should one think of their performance as a support in a lost game? Like if I go 2/5/20 as a support, does that score show that I at least "did my part" or is score really not an indicator? I've been playing Nami support in Gold, and win or lose seems so dependent on my ADC, that I'm not really sure how to gauge my contribution.

You probably played decent or well but you should look at the plays that decided the flow of the game and think about how you, personally, could have played better. Maybe your ADC wasn't the best, but if you had landed that 1 bubble they could have unfucked their mechanics for 2 second to deal the damage that may have won the fight, or your tidal wave didn't hit enough enemies which turned a sure win into a split fight where their damage dealers remained alive. Or maybe you healed the wrong target.

Maybe all of these plays would not have mattered if your teammates were much better than the enemy team, but in even or losing situations maybe you just had to do more. Its frustrating when you feel powerless to help affect a game, but there is probably something you can do. If you're consistently putting up quality KDAs then you just need to focus on strategic movements & tactical play.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Knifegrab posted:

I am thinking about getting into LoL. I have a pretty extensive moba background mostly with dota but others as well. How long would it take to unlock all the heroes just by playing?

~2 years

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Knifegrab posted:

Why do different heroes have different costs? Are they inherently better?

You can also get Tristana & Alistar for free by doing stuff with Riot's facebook page. Every new champion costs 6300 IP and when a new champ is released the oldest current 6300 champ goes to 4800 IP. They sometimes also reduce the 4800 and 3150 ones as well. Most of the 450 ones are original champs from release, and tend to have simple kits & mechanics.

I recommend using the serve card to get free RP.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Gnar's been released, or at least he is avail in the shop.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Roland Jones posted:

It looks nothing like Caitlyn and has a big gun on her left side; Caitlyn's right-handed, Jinx wields her rocket launcher on the left. Like I said, I realized it wasn't supposed to be Jinx pretty fast, but it just doesn't look like anyone in the game.

Its a girl with a sniper laser rifle, aka Caitlyn...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
One of my fav champs Heimerdinger, the Revered Inventor

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Servaetes posted:

The thread banner thirsts for stupid idiot quotes...

Also for those at work did they say what the changes are to Viktor's spells?

Not yet, just the info on the hexcore being more awesome and that there will be some changes. No specifics yet on the skills.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

mango sentinel posted:

Why does every ADC in ARAM insist on building Hurricane? Even in ARAM the best case scenario of multiple enemy champs being clumped rarely happens in a situation you can sit there and damage.

Probably because its the only time they can build it without being reported, or they are just that dumb player that builds suboptimally no matter what. Its the worst to have an ADC champ get a couple of your early kills in aram and come back with a hurricane first buy.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
to quote imaqtpie: "Wow gnar this champ is so loving bad. i love it"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Wolery posted:

Just came off the first game of my promo where I underestimated Gnar's damage and fed like a motherfucker.

Loss Prevented. :smug:

I got the God Series to claw my way back to gold 3 where enemy teams Gnar died 16 times :stare:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

My mmr has probably dropped to silver 3 since i hit gold V. Is there a warning system in place to tell me if i'm in danger of being relegated?

You need to be a full league below your current rank to drop, so i think you're safe

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

He's got to set that up, has no gap closers or mobility. He's pretty small scale in the range of problem champs.

I'm being matched with silver 3 guys, so I'm still kinda worried.

Pretty sure verv was being sarcastic. You need to worry about being demoted when you get matched with bronze 1and silver 5guys

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I like to ban Eve because stealth fucks everything up, 1 or both of Morgana/braum are good bans since they destroy teamfights and Morgana Qing anyone on your team late game is usually GG, then whatever OP thing you think might be picked. Amumu, Kassadin, Talon, Maokai are all good picks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Servaetes posted:

Yeah pretty much this. The only thing that could really push Gnar into broken tier would be giving him an auto range increase which they wouldn't do with his otherwise ridiculous kit. Mega Gnar is however pretty drat decent. Oh, related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUOFtaF0nDs

Apparently Darien is the only one who plays him good, full tank top gnar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XX4MB_wR_A

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Today I can say I successfully invoked Tellysavalas' rule of Trinity Forces on Alistar Support...backed with 4k... it was my 4th item...

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1502487473/38662585

This is an example of how a soloqueue game can get out of hand reaaaaaaaal fast. I wanted to pick up Alistar support because Morg/Braum/Thresh are always getting pick banned & leona is too risky for me to pick blind imo, and this was my first game of it. Had 3rd most gold in the game ?!?

After we got a kill bot lane I was able to go to drag pit and clear/ward it, then noticed friend jungler was near mid and the enemy was waaaaay too far up in the lane so I got a good pulv, then headbutt by coming up behind them for a nice gank that let us get drag. Thresh went to check the pit and got pulv'd headbutted into jungle/mid.

Now I kind of wish I picked him up before he got super popular because his roam & CC is truly outrageous and exactly the kind of support I want to play.

Any ali tipsters wanna throw some tips my way?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

nrook posted:

Huh, no E first? I always max E first on Alistar support; it's not like you use W or Q that often, and it's nice to have the extra sustain.

I browsed probuilds while loading and 100% of the pro support ali's do not max heal. They alternate between headbutt & pulv, probably by preference, maxing the other one 2nd. I ended up maxing headbutt in my game.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Lovechop posted:

I don't know why some dudes can only have fun when they're winning

it's loving hilarious to get smashed when you're playing some dumb poo poo, and it's even more hilarious when you win bot lane as the Spooky Zyra + Spooky Maokai combo

Winning is fun. Improving is fun. Winning & Improving tend to go hand in hand in competitive things. Due to the asymmetric nature of LoL theres not really a lot you can do to have fun that doesn't also result in winning. I can see an argument for things like jihad jeeps & stuff in battlefield games, since no matter how much you die you always respawn with the same stats as every other soldier. But still, man, winning.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

AParadox posted:

You can improve while loosing, learning how to play from behind is the aspect of the game most people are lacking in, I think. So as long as its not a total stomp of a game, both sides can have fun if they can accomplish something even if only one side ends up wining.

Yea of course you can improve while losing, but at some point you want to translate that into winning. I don't think anyone has fun losing every game. And I think having fun while losing also comes from trying your best and putting effort into it. Losing a close match can still be a fun experience, but just straight up losing all the time isn't fun.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

The Shyvana one is cool (though nobody actually walks like that), but the Vayne one has some problems with perspective and muscles. I'm assuming they're trying to show her mid-section's abs based on her position, but based on the lack of a six pack and overly defined obliques, it looks more like the viewer is looking almost straight at Vayne's untoned back. And the background has what looks like a blur from the viewer doing crossfit? Stupid boots aside Vayne looks decent enough, but the lack of gigantic biceps, pecs, and deltoids just doesn't seem to fit.

I agree.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Lissandra is a monster ice lady and even she has perfectly defined cleavage in every one of her skins, its inescapable. Even the most monstrous of any of the female champs has to be sexualized in some fashion.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

fnox posted:

Well lets say that Vlad isn't that well built. It still doesn't change the fact that most male characters, bar Ezreal, don't resemble normal human physiques anyway.

But what I'm trying to actually say is unrealistic female bodies in LoL isn't what could drive girls to not play the game, same way that unrealistic, herculean male bodies don't scare male players into not playing the game. People love to make a big fuzz over poo poo that doesn't really matter.

Variety of character choice is a valid concern. You can find way more variety in the male champions than in the female champions. As a dude you have plenty of choices from shirtless muscle fighters, to wizards, to ninjas, to fat dudes, etc. Really, your argument that a lot of male champs have muscles doesn't really counter any of the complaints about the lack of female diversity since there actually is a ton of male champion diversity. Even if their level of physical fitness tends to skew 'high', you still have plenty of different archetypes to work with. For females they are almost all predominantly 'sexy'. Even many of the alien ones, while men can play non sexy monsters. Champs like TF, ezreal, yasuo, lucian, vlad, talon, shaco, malazahar are all pretty lithe and not overly musclebound.

I agree though that in general the atmosphere and mindset of the player base is a large barrier for female gamers but a lot of that is caused by the poo poo like lack of female diversity in anything.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

fnox posted:

Then you get the exact same situation only reversed lol, how is that more reasonable? Would the situation improve if we had like Pantheon in a thong, or Graves Gone Wild or something like that?

But it wouldn't be reversed. If you have all the same champs as we have now, but 'sexy' variants of every male champion, you'd still have the endless choice of alternate & original skins for all of them a long with the different body types they incorporate, where as the default skins and most of the alt skins for every female champ is still going to be 'sexy' or 'hot' or whatever.

Now if you did that, and then also had a wider variety of female types to play, that'd be great.

Riot seems to have started to acknowledge these problems with their release of jinx (who is still pretty sexualized atleast in her music video and lack of clothes) and their apparent upcoming top lane bigger female champ. Still would like to see more out of them. Especially due to its popularity, LOL could actually be doing a lot to combat this poo poo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I already regret talking about any of this. How did Gnar turn out? I haven't run into him more than once or twice in any games and I've been out of the thread for a while.

He turned out bad since he is both not sexy and not ripped.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
"Ew gross, a bunch of dravens in thongs, no thanks weird game!!" *mouse hovers between choice of miss fortunes giant tits or frostblade irelia's giant rear end*

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Luccion posted:

Everytime a new splash art comes out, especially if it's female, you Goons always come back to this discussion. Am I the only one who gives no fucks at all what the characters look like. All I am thinking about when playing a champ is: "Okay, what does Q, W, E, and R do? What is the range, and how do I gently caress people up with this collection of pixels." It is such a non factor to me I really wouldn't give a gently caress if every character was an identifiable stick figure as long as the game play was the same.

This is like people claiming to be color blind in any race discussion. Character aesthetic is a big reason why people do or play things in games so pretty sure you actually are in the minority of people who only care what the numbers are for whatever champ you're playing. Your lack of caring doesn't mean the problem being talked about doesn't exist.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

You know, whenever this argument comes up I cannot help but ask "what's the difference between the two?"

The big difference is that the 'what I could be/What is awesome' for male champs doesn't necessarily mean sexy handsome rear end muscle dude as evidenced by all the variety. Where as for womens its almost all sexy ninja, sexy witch, sexy assassin, sexy sniper, sexy pirate, sexy plant, sexy birdbitch, sexy icecube, sexy smurf etc.

A dude could think being a huge, beer guzzling dwarf/ogre inspired looking Gragas is awesome, but its definitely way off the sexy spectrum.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F510Pl3RLIE

This Get Jinxed laser show owns, please watch, its basically the music video in laser form.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I like ADC :shobon: even if you're ~marked for death~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

exethan posted:

If your goal is to gain elo, don't play Elise jungle right now unless you're a god at her. She's been kneecapped and balanced around the top levels of play. Try to pick up Warwick, Nocturne, or Amumu. Much more forgiving and powerful champs in this meta.

I'd say Jarvan over Nocturne. Jarvan, WW, Amumu are all godly right now.

• Locked thread