Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Welcome to Season 5's League of Legends Thread!
Previous thread
Newbie Thread
Competitive League of Legends Thread
Fantasy League of Legends Thread
:siren: Get Tristana, Alistar, and Garen for free!:siren:

What is League of Legends?
League of Legends is a multiplayer online battle arena game based loosely off of the famous DotA mod of WC3. They have changed sufficiently over the past few years that they're both different games. The objective is to destroy the enemy base controlling one of many champions and duking it out against other player champions or AI. Like many games of this genre, it is completely free to play and has microtransactions that only change the game cosmetically. There are four game maps currently: Summoner's Rift(5v5), Twisted Treeline(3v3), Howling Abyss(5v5 in a single lane), and Dominion(5v5 with different objectives).

What's the difference between League and similar games?
-No gold loss on death
-Summoner Spells, powerful abilities on fairly long cooldowns that can change the outcome of fights
-Recall, a spell that takes your champion back to base to purchase items
-Level caps at 18
-Some champions possess other resources than mana and are gated by cooldowns
-Mana Costs/Cooldowns/CC effects are typically small. The strongest CC lasts 3.5 seconds but has to be used at extreme ranges
-Scaling for mage champions
-Runes and Masteries, allowing customization for specific roles
-Account levels from 1 to 30. Progressive unlocks of Rune Pages to modify your champion's initial stats

How do I earn Champions and the other stuff?
There are two currencies in League of Legends. The first is IP, indicated by the little pair of swords on your client. These points are used for buying champions, rune pages, and runes in particular and are earned by playing the game. The second is RP, indicated by the little fist icon to next to the swords. This is currency you pay a bit of real cash to get. These are redeemable for champions, skins, packs (skins and champions bundled), rune pages, name changes, and a variety of other services.

I know plenty of people that have never purchased a single champion with RP. You can easily play the game without having to pay a cent.

There is also a leveling system where your account goes from 1-30. As you get further along and to 30, you will be pitted against other 30s, and they will have full access to runepages and mastery setups. You can purchase(with real money) boosts of IP and XP if you want to speed up the process.

Rune Pages

So, one of the major customizable features of League of Legends is the rune page. You start with two if you've recently made a new account. There are three tiers of runes.
:siren:NEVER BUY T2 RUNES.:siren:

Here's a few generalist pages that will get you by once you hit 30. Feel free to purchase T1 runes of these types as you level up:

AD:

Attack Damage Reds / Armor Yellows / Magic Resist (Flat or Scaling) Blues / Attack Damage Quintessences
This is ideal for your Marksmen, AD Bruisers top, a variety of Junglers, and Supports. Anything that emphasizes hitting harder with your auto attacks or physical damage spells will use this well.

AP:

Magic Penetration Reds / Armor Yellows / Magic Resist (Flat or Scaling) Blues / Ability Power Quintessences
Ideal for casters of virtually any type, these gives you a fair bit of penetration for your spells, defenses, and a bit of Ability Power to scale your magic damage spells early on.

There are many, many more runes that you can use. Marksmen and some bruisers utilize life steal quints, some Junglers use attack speed reds, and movespeed quints are incredibly valuable for all classes. They are all purchasable with IP.

Streamers
Let me know if you're a streamer, link it and I'll do my best to put it in here.
http://www.twitch.tv/saltyteemo/ SaltyTeemo - Bronze 5 Featured Games
https://www.twitch.tv/mmmyes Fourte's Stream
https://www.twitch.tv/mynameiskog Technorobot/K0g's Stream
https://www.twitch.tv/ohmarcy Marceline Abadeer / Oh Marceline
http://www.twitch.tv/jumblejon Jumble Jon
http://www.twitch.tv/daemonlasher Daemonlasher / Wrath

As always: :frogsiren:BUY WARDS:frogsiren:

Quick Links:
Official Site
Stat Tracking
OP.GG Stat Tracking
Mumble Info
General League News
League Wiki
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3579028 Fourte's Let's Play thread
https://champion.gg Stat tracking of champ winrates/item builds based off platinum+ games
Hop in the in-client channel SilverSquid on NA to get games going!

Also:

Equally Important:

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

"Teach Me How To Gowby"

Aye! aye!
Teach me how to gowby (aye!)

[Verse 1:]
They be like dude (what?)
Can you teach me how to gowby?
You know why?
'Cause all the posters loathe me (aye)
All I need is a thread that's super bumping
And for you, you, and you to back it up and dump it!
Put your arms on the keyboard, lean in your chair
They gon be on you when they see you hit submit reply there
Ain't nobody loving with my bro from league of legends
He go by eggcornz and he hit that 'rift like thunder
I ain't from fyad but I I troll like I be
I show my moves off, now errybody tryna disprove me
I leave the function and all the diamonds tryina screw me
Now you just do you and I'm a do me (all day)
Diamonds love to hate so they try to screw me
Bitches be stuck to me, I think they tryna glue me
I make the thread shine bright when it started glooming
This thread was bubble gum so I had to chew it

[Chorus: x2]
Teach me how to gowby
Teach me how to gowby
Teach me how to gowby
Teach me how to gowby
All the posters loathe me
All the, all the posters loathe me
All the posters loathe me me
You ain't loving with my gowby!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v6rHsQcgno

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Etrips posted:

Argh my tables

Listen I lovingly crafted that in mspaint over a grueling 15 minutes, if you know how to resize it you tell me

while still keeping it visible and not timg'd

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

The Mash posted:

A legendary Skarner skin would be literally the most boring thing in the world

This is probably the worst opinion in the entire universe

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Neither is a bad game and the fact that the fans of both have to turn it into a poo poo-throwing thing is a big part of why I have to pick the one I can play with friends instead of being able to play the one I'm in the mood to play. :smith:

People just wanna make sure the game they picked was the right choice because I guess otherwise it invalidates their time they invested but who cares they're videogames and they're fun

And they both should be around honestly

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Brannock posted:

It should have been the VU.

Yeah, but it is still pretty rad. I always learn something goofy and new about the skin. For example, without ever taking a stance his auto attack is super sad looking. And if he taunts without any points in anything he poses, waits for a badass animal avatar, nothing comes and he shakes his head totally crestfallen.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

NTT posted:

Hilariously op*

E;overtuned*

nah it was more op casters like galio and annie got nerfed if anything. please check your facts, man

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Listen Rageblade has a total nichahahahahahahahaha

Actually there's probably like 7-8 flat out stupidly bad items and some that are really nuanced like Thornmail or something

oh has the server poo poo the bed?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Giodo! posted:

I have been playing on and off since early beta (so I also got Rammus and Corki for free) and own about half of the champions. I think I dropped about $30 at one point. But I think it's silly to view unlocking all content as a marker of a game being free to play. I never need to own Volibear to fully enjoy the game.

I was like this for Miss Fortune and Leblanc. I had way more than enough IP to buy either of the for a very long time but I avoided picking them up. Realistically I think most people playing League have like 10-15 champs they play a lot, and another 15 that they play once in a long drat while and anything else is like once every couple of months. I feel like I get a Veigar, Sion or Kog'maw game out once every two months just to get it outta my system

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Number 10 of the world with almost a full year played is Silver V lol

My most played champions has shifted fairly far between seasons, I wish it hadn't though. RIP Top Xin.

Season 3: Xin, Teemo, Aatrox,Morg, Voli
Season 4: Morg, Shyv, Nami, Lux, Raka

But I get what you're saying. Every now and then I break out Teemo.

Yeah. Over the years I think my general go-to's over the years were like

S1: Singed(botlane with a support holy god that was bad), Trundle, Lee, Rumble, Morde
S2: Riven, Rumble, Graves, GP, Skarner (toplane phase also Graves was super rad and cool)
S3: J4, Singed, Udyr, Hecarim, Skarner, Draven, Viktor (Turned into a jungle player because Verviticus bogarted toplane)
S4: Panth, Skarner, Draven, Udyr

I'll still once in a blue moon try to bust out Morde and weirder poo poo I don't play like Lux. A good buddy of mine set up a huge database of normals/ranked games and how many champions I played and of my friends I played the most champions at like 74 but I played like a single game of at least 50 of 74. A guy like Verv plays probably 10 champions period with very very little fluctuation.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

When you all first started playing League, what was your best worst opinion? I thought Tear was the most overpowered item. Especially on Amumu. Coming from DotA 1 I thought "Holy poo poo infinite Heartstopper Aura!" I also rushed it on Nasus because holy crap never any mana problems again!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

A Stupid Baby posted:

I also used to religiously follow guides on that old goon Wiki that was at least a year out of date at the time because it was in the First Post. That was before I learned that whoever starts the First Post in the league thread is automatically a goober and possibly a dildo.

Man now I wish we had DNK's legendary "Which is more Skiller" DotA vs League article drat you

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

They're talkin about looking at GP at some point, but not anytime soon I guess? I wanna say Xypherous said GP's best advantage right now is nobody knows exactly what he does, but the moment they do, they realize he's really loving bad. You could call it power creep or who knows but he's just kind of a pile of crap right now. Which is a shame, because he's a pirate and he owns and is cool.

HOWEVER he has one advantage that in a straight up auto fight with any other melee top he will win it at level 1, provided they're stupid enough to let you slap them endlessly.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Aaaaaaaand that is why alternate map modes suck. People take a fun mode and take it so dreadfully loving seriously.

Unrelated, Lucian with Essence Reaver/CDR boots+furor/Tri is incredible good fun. They turned him into this rad as gently caress gunslinger and he owns bones.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

it's really not that hard to notice what's effective in ARAM and then develop this sort of thing without being massively serious about it

most of that list is just common sense to anyone who has played the game long enough

Yeah I mean anything that's long range and pokey is probably a Good Pick in a tiny thin map but you know deep down some dude or group of dudes flip their poo poo the moment a T-T-T-TIER ONE ARAM champ gets rolled and spends the entire time making the game miserable

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Angry Walrus posted:

Having a handy term that's accurate for the specific scenario, oh noooooooooo

Every time Riot comes up with a new one I wish they made ten more to piss off the people who freak out about the very idea of such a quick term to use existing, rather than just overuse to the point they're not meaningful anymore.

i don't even think riot coined overtuned as a buzzword to be honest but hey gives people more reason to get irrationally pissed off

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

TechnoRobot posted:

cool I probably won't be playing anymore by the time that comes out. you aren't wrapping me back in, riot games!!!!

Also you've permanently quit the game like six times you're not fooling me

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Robzor McFabulous posted:

http://www.newsoflegends.com/index.php/wip-pbe-update-mecha-yasuo-voice-no-model-master-tier-24036/

So apparently there's robotic-sounding Yasuo voice lines buried in the PBE, looks like the final boss might be Mecha/Arcade Yasuo...

Full Metal Yasuo will probably look incredibly awesome, can't wait to see!

As for Gnar, I feel like he's gonna be one of those champs everyone picks up and discards within the first week or so of playing him. The rage mechanic seems like it'd be infuriating if done at the wrong time (which looks really frequent) as it looks like Big Gnar is slow as gently caress.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

notoriousman posted:

Everyone makes the low-effort "just give every champ a fire/ice-themed skin", but over the past couple of months we've gotten some really primo poo poo like the two new Debonaire skins, the Mecha skin line, the World Cup-themed skins, Super Galaxy Rumble, Primetime Draven, Blade Queen Lissandra, Void Fizz (which the community brainstormed and wanted for years now)...if you want to stretch and call the Dragonslayer and Arctic Ops line fire/ice skins, those are still about 4 months old at this point.

Give credit where it's due, nancies!

Yeah, a lot of the skins released in the past few months have been spectacular. The Pantheon one made me go back to really figuring him out just on how rad as gently caress he was. Rumble was a bit heartbreaking however in the sense that not only is he horrible to play right now but the skin somehow made his already atrocious last hitting even worse.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Jeez, the Final Boss Veigar skin has a shitload of videogame quotes. I can dig the nods to Kefka and Garland and Altered Beast.

Looks like nobody threw up the video for him, so here he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgo0NRN4WoM
woops sorry wodin, beat me to the punch

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 13, 2014

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Brannock posted:

Hey Servaetes, you played any Skarner recently? I'm looking for a new grab-and-eliminate jungler to start playing as I'm bored of my current stable of Vi/Wukong/Xin Zhao/Rammus.

Yeah he's still fantastic. Attackspeed reds/quints and 5% cdr from blues and fill in the rest. Definitely play him if you enjoyed him!

Luna Was Here posted:

yo, i just saw the new op and i can't help but notice the gif of bond whiffing his ult horribly on ez isnt there

someone needs to fix this because i dont have that gif anymore

Find it and I'll put it up

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Okay here's my Gnar take on a single game:

Tiny Gnar sucks rear end in a top hat and is going to be hilariously easy to kill/hurt
Big Gnar hurts really fierce and has a shitload of CC
Holy crap the rage mechanic is a pain in the rear end

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Libertine posted:

My 1-game Gnar take is that this champion is probably too complicated to be worth learning considering how rarely I play top lane and the payoff seems a lot lower than I expected.

Pretty much yeah, something about the rage mechanic being like fully ramped when no one is nearby is super useless because you very slowly waddle your way to a teamfight. Then it falls off and you're this sorta crappy version of Teemo and I don't even know

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

'Cause Rinj gave me it and for context both of us were fed as gently caress:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Mackers posted:

Yaay, time for lots of posts about how a splash art is bad and anatomically wrong (and probably disrespectful to women).

The thread banner thirsts for stupid idiot quotes...

Also for those at work did they say what the changes are to Viktor's spells?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Minrad posted:

.:Zoolooman-browser:. ok, if they want it
.:Zoolooman-browser:. it's a good joke title
.:Zoolooman-browser:. ill get it when i get home
.:Zoolooman-browser:. you can quote me in there

:toot:

Was definitely gonna PM Zoolooman about it but yeah, I just got home now.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Hey man I took whatever had the most people agreeing on it so gently caress if I know. I thought it was kinda weak too but my personal favorite woulda flown over everyone's heads with Malzahar Rolls Up in His Voidwagon

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Brannock posted:

I don't understand why people don't run Graves mid. He has a low cooldown nuke, benefits very well from blue, has a ranged slow/blind and a dash to get out of ganks or to jump walls, and his Q/R combo deletes heroes. On top of that, he benefits even better than Talon/Zed do from the new AD itemization. His slightly low range isn't as much of a liability in mid where you're frequently up against melee or lower-range mages, and he's naturally bulky helping with trades and taking harass.

And if having one champion that can shred towers and objectives is good, then what about having... two?!

He just seems like a much safer AD pick to go mid if you have an AP top or something -- safer than Talon or Zed or something. He has really impressive AOE damage as well.

Talon and Zed are both fantastic mids because they can farm pretty reliably and kill their opponent and roam. Graves has nothing going for him other than a lot of damage. Though your post did make me think about AP tops and boy howdy is that pool shallow and lovely. Vlad and Rumble are in horrible spots.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Brannock posted:

Graves has excellent waveclear. He's also ranged. Dunno, I could never make melee mids work for me so maybe I'm biased on that view.

For top lane... there's Lissandra, Ryze, Annie :laugh:, Swain, and Warwick. I've seen Akali top a few times but I can't figure out why. I wonder if Karma could work top lane, she used to be overwhelmingly strong in the 1v1 lane in Dominion thanks to Mantra link.

Yeah I guess you could argue Liss/Ryze/Swain/Lulu and stuff, they just feel kinda janky as toplaners to me. Sans maybe Ryze, none of the ones I'm thinking or you're thinking (lets be honest Warwick wouldn't buy AP outside of Dorans unless he's retarded) most of the conventional bruisers will have a lot of killing potential. I might be selling them short but that's been my take.

Like a repurposed mage will generally farm off against a bruiser or the moment a stiff breeze catches them/gank they die

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Dirty_Moses posted:

Is Kennen still a decent pick top? I do fine with him but I'm also playing against pretty bad people because I am also pretty bad.

I suppose you could always take him mid.

I always seem to forget him as a toplaner but to be honest I have no idea. I haven't seen him top in forever. He's still pretty mobile and a jerk but honestly I can't remember if the last nerfs he got a bunch of months ago put him out.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Wait what was the reason for disabling it? They're saying Known Issue but?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

How Rude posted:

Add this to the op please.

frajaq posted:

When Blitzcrank goes home after losing a match does he beat Miss Blitzcrank in frustration in his robot home? Something to think about next time I pick him

This seems far more important to throw in my next MS paint built border than anything else

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

frajaq posted:

Oh I see its because I don't have platinum is that it? Stop oppressing me

My Diamond hand is strong go make me some dinner in the kitchen for me while I PM other forums users about how they're better than you are

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Brannock posted:

Jungle Gnar is really really really loving strong. He's going to get buffed and be hilariously broken for a month.

Can you elaborate a bit on why? Not the buffed=broken thing his numbers in big Gnar form are stupid loving high and they really should approach buffing his little form with a feather touch but based off his dismal stats and rage mechanic how was he a good jungler? I can figure he could farm pretty well in there but if he's not at a full rage bar going in for a gank he's not gonna be doing much. What happened when you played it/played against it/played with someone that jungled him?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On the opposite of that, I've been carrying plenty of games in diamond as Jarvan going 21 offense with tank items with W maxed second, Dangerous game restores a whole lot of HP on a assist with 3000 HP.

W will keep you alive and doing more damage with 5% slow and 40+10 per person more shield per level then the E's 3% attack speed 3 armor and 45 damage on direct hit per level.

See I'm curious on this. I can see a shield being far more useful on a laning jarvan as a second priority, but jungle I'm a little skeptical. J4 I generally roll 21 offense as well and build tanky as crap after the SotEL and I figure ganks should hit as hard and frequently. What kind Jarvan are you guys talking because I'm confused

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

fnox posted:

Gnar is really hardcore lategame I have to admit. Mega Gnar is just loving broken, while Mini Gnar sucks and is just a vehicle to get Mega Gnar out.

Yeah pretty much this. The only thing that could really push Gnar into broken tier would be giving him an auto range increase which they wouldn't do with his otherwise ridiculous kit. Mega Gnar is however pretty drat decent. Oh, related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUOFtaF0nDs

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 19, 2014

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Brannock posted:

It's like you WANT to see the arguments between silver players and diamond players flare back up again as silver players insist that they're vindicated and diamond players double down on declaring it bad and wrong.

When I am dispatched by a Teemo as Pantheon with that item build I shall kneel before the silvers. Until then, I sit at my diamond throne awaiting challengers.

Colonel Squish posted:

I was watching a highly ranked Korean Teemo building Wit's End, Nashor's Tooth, Hurricane, and I think his next item was going to be Last Whisper (maybe Zephyr). I would love to see on-hit AoE Teemo start eking into the NA meta.

Last Whisper with all that magic damage? :psyduck:

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 20, 2014

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Colonel Squish posted:

You're probably right and it was something else. The game ended when he just had a Pickax.

When you get to challenger man, you gotta compile a list of the cool pros and the douchey ones. I only had a very limited experience and I'm curious! I believe in the big dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Is it really bad I was talking with a couple of goons in mumble and outlined exactly what Chumbler would complain about the splash art? I am down on my bet though by saying nobody would complain about the pose causing Vayne's boobs and rear end to hang out though

I'll at least give you credit by saying Yasuo's helmet looks kinda dumb in the splash art but yeah

Also I'm really really conflicted if I wanna pick up Final Boss Veigar considering I have the best skin for him as is (Santa). The voice is kind of much though.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 22, 2014

• Locked thread