Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

The definitive league of legends tier list:

http://www.riotdelete.us/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Invalid Validation posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I got shut out really hard by an AP Trist mid. But since she doesn't do anything late game, we just had to stall the game a little bit. Her entire damage is based around jumping into a group. She doesn't do much damage when she's dead.

Rocket jump is actually her least damaging ability, it just secures kills. The core of AP trist is harassing people down in lane with E (80-260 +100% AP) and instagibbing people with ult (300-500 +150% AP), and then amping all that damage with a DFG.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

glomkettle posted:

The burst on her W is pretty important though. E has a higher ratio, but when it comes to getting in, getting a kill, and getting out, you don't always have time to wait for the DoT to tick.

Lets say you're a level 11 Trist and you've got a DFG, couple of drings, and sorc boots. Enemy Caitlyn is level 9 with flat MR blues, so they're sitting at 1250 HP with 42 magic resist.

DFG Blast: 160 Damage (after MR)
Trist Ult: 900 Damage (after MR)

Cait is sitting at 190 HP, and can easily be finished off with a rocket jump. You still have E damage and probably ignite on top of that.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Sexpansion posted:

Do people really not like that Udyr skin? I think it kind of owns.

All of Udyr's skins are the exact same thing: Udyr Udyr.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Udyr's one of the hardest champions to make skins for because he's got a billion effects, and its really hard to make anything other than a troll skin out of it because he's pretty visually unique already.

Saturday Morning Udyr, where he looks like He-Man and shouts out lines like "BY THE POWER OF TEN TIGERS" as he smashes people with his animal forms.

Kung-Fu Master Udyr, he looks like an old chinese martial arts master and strikes cheesy animal poses for all his move sets and has special lines for fighting rival martial arts characters like lee sin.

Fire Udyr because apparently that sells.

Prototype Udyr, he's a robot and transforms into things.

Heavyweight Udyr, he wears a huge belt and some sweet shades and boxes the poo poo out of people.

There are a million things Riot could do with Udyr skins beyond "hoboman wearing animal pelts #5".

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I have the strangest urge to make a Quinn gimmick account, possibly because I hate myself and want other people to feel the same pain???

Anyone got a good gimmick amount name? I remember a pretty pro tier string of Quinn puns in the last thread.

Also I know Janna is still out of favor but holy crap I love playing her. You can get surprisingly aggressive with her e and people for some reason get completely terrified and tend to not punish it like they probably should. Low elo lyfe I guess

What are Quinns?

We just don't know.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I'm actually more interested in the Dominion list myself. How the hell do you even play Dominion? Is there a meta? What's the strategies behind this mode?

Pick a bottom laner who can apply a high amount of pressure and force more than 1 person to come deal with you. Pick 4 other characters who can teamfight together well, and ideally can swap out with bottom lane if things aren't going so well.

You need to be able to continually guess where the other team is going to send its people (no jungle wards), and out maneuver them. Hitting points they're not prepared to defend, keeping enough people in the right places to stop them from taking your points. Some people take this to mean that back-capping is king, but its actually pretty lovely. The team who is best able to attack, capture, and hold 3 points wins, and this will be Bottom + Mid + Top. If you're able to actually capture and hold the enemy's bottom or mid points for any extended period of time its a complete stomp.

Dominion is basically non-stop 4v4 teamfights with a SR solo-lane on steroids.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

If anyone gives a poo poo you can see the scoreboard here: http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1487714112/32042962

We had a large lead early (~150+ points) then lost it as Draven picked up steam and was able to 1v1 anyone on our team, and continually threaten bottom point.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

d0grent posted:

So currently whenever I'm forced into top lane I cheese it with kayle or karma (unless I can get a decent match-up for pantheon). I was thinking about picking up Fiora to have in my back pocket for when this happens; is she worth the 6300?

In my opinion Fiora is best mid-lane, if you want to pick up a toplaner I'd pick up any of the tanky bruiser assholes who are popular in competitive play.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Scoreboard.jpg

Queued up for dominion, got distracted, and didn't dodge when some one on our team picked Shaco. Was generally beating Ahri in bot lane but had Leona and Rengar roaming down into my lane constantly because that's what happens when you have a Shaco on your team. I switched out with Annie and went top, with ~50 v 350 tickets left and the enemy capping our mid point. Murdered them all, captured top, and continued murdering the enemy team until we won. We never lost another ticket after that, and I went on a 15 kill spree until the game ended.

:feelsgood:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Getting rid of champs you hate playing against is the best use of bans you can make in a video game.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Bholder posted:

When did this turn into the official forums where everybody complains about everything being op and should be deleted?

I have already cataloged exactly which characters should be deleted.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Oh hey its the flash convo again.

This game is at its most fun when people are running flash/ignite/exhaust/ghost/cleanse. This game is at its least fun when people are running teleport, heal, and barrier.

You probably only get 6 or so flashes in a typical game. If you're wasting them on escaping from ganks, you've hosed up.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

I finally suffered through enough soloqueue games (18 games of convincing terrible pubbies to let me Fiora mid and carry them :negative:) to hit gold for the season rewards. I was mad that I ended up at 98 LP and thought I'd have to play an extra game, but after winning a game after that it dumped me straight into Gold V skipping the promo series, which I didn't know was a thing. Thanks Riot!

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Servaetes posted:

a guy wearing a really oversized ziggs helmet

I want this to be the next Ziggs skin.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm thinking of getting Zac because he seems really cool. Any opinions on his place in the game?

He's either always in the right places at the right times to get kills with his mediocre damage/cc, or he's completely useless. Slingshot is seriously one of the most broken skills in the game and the rest of his numbers/kit have been made to suck in order to balance him. Early snowballing will compensate for the bad nubmers, but you need to close out the game before it becomes a 45 minute slog-fest where even people who are behind are level 18 with core items.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

A Stupid Baby posted:

I'm not sure why they bother with the Leagues system, the old transparent ELO method was way more transparent and understandable.

The league system is hilarious, it would seriously be hard to intentionally design a worse system.

Operates on a bunch of hidden mechanics Riot does their best to hide from you at every turn?
A massive facade built over that hidden system designed to trick you with a bunch of meaningless numbers?
Deriving your fake number gain by comparing your invisible numbers to 9 other people's invisible numbers with hidden formulas?
Requiring statistically unsound winning streaks over arbitrary periods of games in order to progress through the obfuscation system?

Add in a cash gacha machine to the mix, and even a crack team of psychologists couldn't design a better system to drive people crazy.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Libertine posted:

Lots of people get real anxiety about risking points in a pure MMR system. Steeping it in a bunch of random bullshit like metal-coated League 1/2/3/4/5 system is a psychological trick to disarm those people of their anxiety and increase the overall number of ranked games that get played. Increased player pool means better match-making, means even the players who don't have any ladder anxiety benefit from better matches.

Riot has explained all this in the past. It definitely works, and they've ironed out a lot of the kinks in the system over time which promoted weird bullshit like vastly different ELO duo queues.

Most people who get frustrated with the system of games do so because they become frustrated with their own play on a certain day. When you are pulling your hair out going "drat THIS CORRUPT SYSTEM HOLDING ME DOWN" you need to just take a step away and not play ranked for awhile.

I play very limited amounts of ranked, because I only queue up when I feel like I have 110% of my mental fortitude to play an A+ game on one of my best champions AND put up with up to 3 people's psychological bullshit on my team over the course of 45 minutes. If you aren't ready to do that over and over, don't queue up for ranked. If you can't maintain zen-like calm, you will just start blowing up at teammates, throwing your own play in the dumpster, and then making GBS threads up the thread with complaints about a system that does a reasonable job squaring off millions of people into fairly balanced matches 24/7.

Reducing "ranked stress" was certainly their design goal, but the League system completely fails to meet that goal. In fact not only does it fail to reduce stress, but it actually adds to it.

League points are, to the user, effectively identical to the old Elo points. They're a number which go up when you win, go down when you lose, and you need to net enough of them to get season rewards and to lord over other nerds about how good you are at the vidcons. There's no compelling reason why anyone who stressed out over losing Elo won't stress out over losing LP. The attempt to reduce stress by "removing" Elo points failed, because the first thing they did in their new system is create new Elo points.

Now you add to this stress by making the number of league points you gain dependent on a hidden variable. Elo points varied, but they varied due to factors you could see. Now you have people winning games for +2 LP, and losing a game for -20 LP, and they have no idea why. The League system goes out of its way to hide why this is happening, so now the user feels like they're playing a rigged game. The player now experiences additional pressure to win games which the league's own statistical system predicts they should be losing.

In addition to this, you now have the added stress of promo games. Getting a discconect/afk/troll in ranked is annoying enough, now you need to worry about getting them in your super important ++ games you need a higher than normal number of wins in. When this happens, users feel cheated out of advancement.

Creating a slick front-end for ranked was a good idea, because straight up Elo numbers don't mean much without context. Where they went horribly wrong was hiding all the important information from the user and simultaneously feeding them tons of new information which is by and large bullshit.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

I am terrible at Akali and Jungling and went 9/0 before being shut down on jungle Akali. Every one of our lanes got crushed and we lost the game.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Tonetta posted:

so hey congrats rinj von scoot and mira aroyo for being on the worlds stream it was pretty awesome

Seeing this live was lol.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

How Rude posted:

Sounds like they just suck at Fiora.

This is how I got out of silver:

You take that back, Sir! I'll have you know my Fiora play is as sweet as a sonata on a fine summer evening. :argh:

Even playing 10 odd ranked games with Ve1gar intentionally feeding, and an accidental Wu-kong pick are but a minor blemish on my respectable record for season 2014!

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

K8.0 posted:

He's one of the best designed champions in the game

Ok, that is like the opposite of what Ryze is. He's balanced sure, but he's about the least fun and interesting character to play in actual games or watch being played in the pro scene. He's basically a walking number and two of his signature items (tear, RoA) are items you buy to sit on for 10 minutes to make your numbers bigger. New characters like Zed might be a pain in the rear end to balance, but they're at least fun to play and fun to watch being played well.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Riven being broken is 100% a function of her having the worst designed kit in the game. She's not a champion that can really be outplayed because she's loaded with free mobility and AOE CC, and she has exponential defensive scaling off the same two stats that give her exponential offensive scaling. Even if she was the only top lane champion in the game, her design would still be god loving awful because she snowballs in the stupidest way possible.

In her heyday all of Riven's matchups were entirely play dependent (with Riven at a slight disadvantage), if you lost lane it was straight up because you played worse. Even when she got ahead, she wasn't a metagame warping character like contemporary popular picks Shen or Singed. To top it all off she's a poor teamfighter who can be reliably CC locked and burst down by a competent team. Then they nerfed her like 3 times. I'd rather face a pre-nerf Riven in lane than any other "OP" character at their peak.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Agreed, riven was never a terror in solo queue like shen or singed. Lmao.

Shen completely warped the metagame until they gutted him, and proxy singed is a strong contender for the most broken thing which has ever existed in this game which wasn't a straight up bug.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Lux's wave-clear actually is pretty lovely because her E is on a really long cooldown, and a solid chunk of her damage is loaded into her passive which takes too long and is risky to apply. She will get solidly out-pushed by characters like Anivia, Ziggs, Orianna, ect. Late game you can consider using laser to wave clear, but its also a core part of her teamfighting ability so you need to be really sure you're not going to need it again within the next 30 seconds.

Edit: If you're doing well in lane (IIRC about 80% cs and a kill or two) you can one shot caster minions around the 15 minute mark, but after a while their HP scaling will get high enough again to survive E.

itsjustdrew posted:

WW isn't bad once you have a wits end and BORK. 2.00+ Attack speed, with my runes at least (AS red, ARM yellow, scaling MR blue, AS quints) and push comes to shove, you can always go balls deep and get AS boots. its 2 hits per minion, and if I have it, I 2 hit and smite sieges. it's not a waste because it stacks to / on my FF.

Vi is also good assuming you get SOTEL. Q through the line of them, you get about 4 in, E, E, 4 out of the wave is gone. you usually have another Q after that too. It's not yi fast, but still, it's passable.

Warwick's waveclear is absolutely terrible, also never ever buy attack speed boots on him ever. Elder Lizard isn't really a significant factor in Vi's waveclear, and what little waveclear she does have is entirely from E, which last I checked is still bugged and does 0 damage because riotgames.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 27, 2014

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

All Else Failed posted:

What's the best resource for counters? lolcounter.com is usually pretty light on tips and it can be a bit lengthy and hit or miss pulling up a LoLking guide and hoping to find one guy's opinion in the matchups section while in champ select. Is there a great one I don't know about? Or even better, a resource that breaks down what makes a good comp or counter and why?

If you have to ask, do not play a counter pick.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

All Else Failed posted:

I am not asking for freelo advice or what is the better strategy or whether or not I should be worried about counters, I am asking for good resources on learning good counters and compositions.

Right now I am open to playing any champion and losing horribly for it, but I enjoy picking a champ that makes it easier to play into someone while I give away free MMR to everyone.

Just play characters, then keep playing the ones you have fun with. What you're looking for is just going to make you spend a bunch of time and energy on something which isn't going to improve your game or make you have more fun.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Fiora is pretty good even when behind, she has a lot of comeback potential. Tiamat + brutilizer with flash/ignite up is usually enough to wreak a squishy ADC even if they've doing pretty well and you're not.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

NTT posted:

I got akali'd. I guess I'm bad at playing Fiora (no akali's just retard dumb 1v1)

Akali is one of the few characters who can out duel Fiora because her ult has no meaningful cooldown. You can beat her if you blow ult and vision on her but its kind of close, then she just respawns and walks back to lane and can 1v1 you for the next 2+ minutes because she's broken.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

exethan posted:

lmao you built a loving guinsoo's

Guinsoo's "#rage at your ex-girlfriend on your company twitter account ” blade is start efficient! :eyepop:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Renekton is a cool and fun character. The only stupid thing about him is riot decided to give him tanky shitlord numbers instead of ad caster numbers. He's way more fun building hydra and dashing around slicing and dicing stuff than building HP/armor brick crap.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Azir can be really mana efficient with good soldier placement, they're only 40 mana apiece. He runs dry quick if you're constantly E Qing people at 110 mana a pop. Some games I don't need cup at all, and others I'm burning though it like there's no tomorrow.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Watching an Akali keep trying to ult through Azir wall and continually getting knocked back is hilarious.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This guy might be flying to Riot because he asked if he could interview them over reddit for a school interview.

Lucky gently caress.

Well if past goon experiences are anything to go by, riot will pay for their flight, hotel, and cab fare. Then they will arrive at Riots' office and nobody in the company will have any idea who they are, or why they're there. Whoever isn't busy will give them a 10 minute interview then send them home.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Disinterested posted:

I can't imagine a better outcome from a trip to visit Riot in California than them inviting me to California and expecting me to do nothing while picking up the tab.

Well it probably sucked for the goon who was looking for a job out of the deal.

For context, he had spent a bunch of time reproducing and documenting a bunch of longstanding bugs with Shaco who was unbelievably buggy at the time. Some one in charge of testing at Riot was super impressed and wanted to hire him on, and got the company to fly him out for a final interview (which is pretty weird for a QA spot but whatever). When he got there that happened.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

This guy isn't applying for a job though.

:thejoke:

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

For context, they asked him to design a champion as part of the interview process and he made "a stealth tank" which remains the worst champion idea I can think of.

That's a god awful idea yes, but I'm also not really sure how relevant some one's ability to design a champion on the fly is for a job which has nothing to do with content creation. Though the point wasn't really to complain about some goon not getting a job, it was just to highlight some of the crazy poo poo :riot: does.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Lovechop posted:

Correct build is Brutalizer > Hydra > CDR boots > Ghostblade > LW

No excuses. After that get BT or GA or whatever. Don't get crit or attack speed ever and start 10% CDR

Lately my favorite Fiora gimmick against squishies is building a second brutilizer after upgrading to ghost blade. If they have over 57 armor you gain more armor pen from a last whisper first. Once you have all three, you straight up delete carries from the game.

True damage true stories:
6% Armor pen (Offensive masteries)
35% Armor pen (Last Whisper)
30 Armor Pen (Ghostblade + Brutilizer)
19.2 Armor Pen (Reds & Quints)

Level 16 Lux: 0 armor (:toot:)
+ Armor yellows: 2.7 armor (2.6% damage reduction)
+ Zhonyas: 33.3 armor (25% damage reduction)

Level 16 Zed: 0 armor (:heysexy:)
+ Armor yellows: 3.3 armor (3.2% damage reduction)
+ Ninja tabi: 18.6 armor (15.7% damage reduction, not counting block passive)
+ Chain vest: 43.1 armor (30.1% damage reduction)
+ Complete GA: 49.2 armor (33% damage reduction)

Level 16 Lucian: 0 armor (:gibs:)
+ Armor yellows: 0 armor (:vince:)
+ Chain vest: 21.7 armor (17.8% damage reduction)
+ Complete GA: 27.8 armor (21.8% damage reduction)

Late game you can upgrade to BC for the %shred on tanks, but you're generally going to want a second lifesteal item like Bloodthirster or Bork before that, and the game should frankly be over at that point anyway.

Metagame Scallop posted:

Stop right there, OtherworldlyInvader! You need to run flat AD runes to press the early advantage! :backtowork:

I don't think you're right, Metagame Scallop! A level 2 Fiora against a Level 2 Lux with Armor yellows (29 armor):

+15 AD Runes:
Damage from 2 Q charges: 106
Damage per AA: 83

+19.2 Armor Pen Runes:
Damage from 2 Q charges: 108
Damage per AA: 84

Fiora gets +15 AD at level 1 or 2 from the first point in E, and generally starts longsword, giving her a whopping +25 AD at game start before runes and masteries! Late game, the armor penetration becomes more valuable than AD for bursting down squishy characters.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Methanar posted:

The only way riven could get nerfed harder is reducing Q from 10 damage at level 1 to 0.

Q could deal negative damage and people would still complain she's OP. :v:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

If only Dominion weren't unplayably infested with bots. :smith:

I have literally never seen a bot in dominion, raise your MMR and its not a problem at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Ashe is a pretty good character. Even if you're hitting the minimum 1 second stun on her ult, that easily translates into additional CC from your support which is pretty much a guaranteed kill if it lands in lane. In a teamfight, a well played Ashe will win games and she still has a lot of usefulness even if she's behind.

xeose4 posted:

How does Fiora fare against people who outscale her, like Nasus and Garen? I tend to do horribly against those as Pantheon (unless I have a cool jungler who helps me shut them down and keep them down), and I imagine it must be similar for Fiora?

The only people who really have the potential to out scale Fiora are Akali, a well played Jax, Yi, and maybe a 6 item Warwick (how many of those do you see?). End game Fiora can deal with Nasus as long as he hasn't been free-farming for an hour and a half, parry his Qs and chew through him with Bork, use your ult to cut through some of his wither time if you have to. Garen's late game isn't really a concern to Fiora.

Really though your job as Fiora isn't to kill a bunch of tanky idiots, its to kill their AD/AP/Assassins.

• Locked thread