Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Is there still a need for Blizzard Sub forum or will that be merged in with the common threads in the near future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

You're a good egg Kewpuh.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Rename the forum OCDS (Obsessive-Compulsives Delay Suicide).

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Is there still a need for Blizzard Sub forum or will that be merged in with the common threads in the near future?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kewpuh posted:

I can tell you that with me, there was basically zero loving thought that went into any of it

Well at least we finally have confirmation.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I had an idea. What if we had a subforum dedicated to headlines? I like to know what's happening, but I don't want to dig into the recent pages of all these megathreads to see what people are reacting to.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Games is good, and the Imp Zone is a welcome addition. A marked improvement.

More anime, pls.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Maxwell Adams posted:

I had an idea. What if we had a subforum dedicated to headlines? I like to know what's happening, but I don't want to dig into the recent pages of all these megathreads to see what people are reacting to.

That'd be nice, every so often something like Twitch's policy change happens that is game related but not a game and there really isn't a good place to talk about it unless you can find the right giant megathread talking about it at the moment

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The forum has gotten a lot better since bad posters are openly mocked and the whole forum has relaxed a significant amount. Also imp zone is good

Shinjobi posted:

Games is good, and the Imp Zone is a welcome addition. A marked improvement.

More anime, pls.

I think anime games would be better received in the anime ghetto tbh.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I personally feel the "relaxed atmosphere" people talk about feels more like 4chan than anything remotely fun, but that said Games haven't really suffered much from the relaxed rules. It sucks when a good thread gets spammed by people emptyquoting enormous images or text, but at least it's not like nuGBS where 2/3 of the posts are "lol" or "human being" v:shobon:v

People in this forum just behave better, I guess. It's a better alternative than getting hundreds of reports every week.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Your Computer posted:

I personally feel the "relaxed atmosphere" people talk about feels more like 4chan than anything remotely fun, but that said Games haven't really suffered much from the relaxed rules. It sucks when a good thread gets spammed by people emptyquoting enormous images or text, but at least it's not like nuGBS where 2/3 of the posts are "lol" or "human being" v:shobon:v

People in this forum just behave better, I guess. It's a better alternative than getting hundreds of reports every week.

Games needs to become like GBS if it wants to be good, we are heading in the right direction.

Remove megathreads. Idiot "community" poo poo can go in PGS.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Average Bear posted:

I think anime games would be better received in the anime ghetto tbh.

People in the anime forum have endured brutal moderation for years and are now more afraid to admit they like boobs than even games posters.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

You're a good egg Kewpuh.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Shadowlz posted:

Games needs to become like GBS if it wants to be good, we are heading in the right direction.

Remove megathreads. Idiot "community" poo poo can go in PGS.

Nah, chillax community is where it's at. You got the Imp Zone for your white noise.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I will continue to try and help the Imp Zone break free of its origins as videogames BYOB, and thus become a better place to post for all true gamers.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ularg posted:

Nah, chillax community is where it's at. You got the Imp Zone for your white noise.

What the heck ?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

What the heck ?

The heck is what?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

The Taint Reaper posted:

Well I think with the Blizzard subforum we currently have like 15 or so active threads for like 2 different games. I dunno if people want to hunt them down in the Games forum index but maybe they could be merged. I haven't really thought about it honestly but I can take a look.

Maxwell Adams posted:

You mean like a Kotaku/IGN/Gamespot subforum basically yea?

Your Computer posted:

Yo if you see people spamming images and walls of text report that poo poo. There is nothing more low effort and pure garbage than spamming poo poo and I will absolutely edit that poo poo out and hit them with probations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Kewpuh posted:

You mean like a Kotaku/IGN/Gamespot subforum basically yea?

No. What? IGN and Gamespot don't even have news forums, they just have lovely comment sections. I don't think Kotaku even has a forum.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the idea is you want game headline discussion without the actual game headline site comments?

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
I think Kewpuh just meant content/headlines from gaming news sites like those would be up for discussion in the proposed subforum.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Everything is great but you should ban Crafty for a laugh

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Maxwell Adams posted:

Please God no. I loving hate threads like those because all people do is post a quote from the article and then say "Discuss!" Most of that stuff is super low-content and boring and make people even more angry when someone disagrees with them. It's the whole reason GBS 1.0 sucked. It was just an entire headline forum.

I'd rather just have a separate forum where all the megathreads go and call it the "communtity" forum or something and have games for everything else, opening up a lot more thread ideas.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I concur that the bar for posting is lower than it should be, unfortunately.

I would say there's a lot going on that isn't really shitposting, trolling, arguments, or other bullshit that's intentional. Instead, I feel that the quality and content of the average post has gone down. It's not "low content" like a one-word post, but it's a lot closer. Personally I wish the bar was higher on content/humor, and even long for the days of banhammer months. A lot of these threads read more like a chatroom than a forum based around thoughtful dialectic.

It feeds into the megathread problem; there's a reason certain threads for popular games are 7000 pages long. A lot of people have very little to add but do so anyways. I know you acknowledged the megathread problem and its intractability in the OP, but it has really brought the quality of information I gather here down in the past few to several years. Anything that's not Battlefield, Dark Souls, etc gets choked out.

I only bring this up because I really have loved this forum since ~2000, and for like a decade I was always able to find new, interesting games I had not been exposed to; The reasons I feel that this happens less and less, are reasons I link to the Megathread thing. Not to belabor that point, but I get most of my information about neat new games I want to play on Giant Bomb now, which has filled this gap very well. Sadly.

As a good example, I really feel like the Planetside 2 thread exemplifies this. Very little usable information past basic stuff in the OP is found in its hundreds of pages. Instead, there is roughly 75% posts that add very little but are not against the rules, which only make it harder to find good info. The rest is a FYAD-quality shitheap of posts between people who are way too attached to their in-game faction. For over a year, several posters have been purposely instigating arguments, which they know from the past is *never* going to lead anywhere. It's painful to read. Technically, it's discourse... technically.

I love this forum, but sometimes it's tough.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 9, 2014

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

OwlFancier posted:

I think the idea is you want game headline discussion without the actual game headline site comments?

Any gaming news website is going to be terrible from start to finish. The articles being posted aren't actual news, they're just clickbait. Then the comments section is just morons posting memes and trolling each other.

A headline subforum would naturally focus on whatever people found interesting. For example, I imagine we'd have a thread like, "Oh poo poo, Crytek is on fire", and while new headlines about that rolled in, people would be talking about the gradual decline of Crytek over the years and how terrible GFace is.

Actually, with Gamescom next week, it might be good timing to get something like this started.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

nilumtil posted:

I concur that the bar for posting is lower than it should be, unfortunately -- wish I could agree.

I would say there's a lot going on that isn't really shitposting, trolling, arguments, or other bullshit that's intentional. Instead, I feel that the quality and content of the average post has gone down. It's not "low content" like a one-word post, but it's a lot closer. Personally I wish the bar was higher on content/humor, and even long for the days of banhammer months. A lot of these threads read more like a chatroom than a forum based around thoughtful dialectic.

It feeds into the megathread problem; there's a reason certain threads for popular games are 7000 pages long. A lot of people have very little to add but do so anyways. I know you acknowledged the megathread problem and its intractability in the OP, but it has really brought the quality of information I gather here down in the past few to several years. Anything that's not Battlefield, Dark Souls, etc gets choked out.

I only bring this up because I really have loved this forum since ~2000, and for like a decade I was always able to find new, interesting games I had not been exposed to; The reasons I feel that this happens less and less, are reasons I link to the Megathread thing. Not to belabor that point, but I get most of my information about neat new games I want to play on Giant Bomb now, which has filled this gap very well. Sadly.

As a good example, I really feel like the Planetside 2 thread exemplifies this. Very little usable information past basic stuff in the OP is found in its hundreds of pages. Instead, there is roughly 75% posts that add very little but are not against the rules, which only make it harder to find good info. The rest is a FYAD-quality shitheap of posts between people who are way too attached to their in-game faction. For over a year, several posters have been purposely instigating arguments, which they know from the past is *never* going to lead anywhere. It's painful to read. Technically, it's discourse... technically.

Maybe you are looking for a wiki instead of a forum.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Maxwell Adams posted:

A headline subforum would naturally focus on whatever people found interesting. For example, I imagine we'd have a thread like, "Oh poo poo, Crytek is on fire", and while new headlines about that rolled in, people would be talking about the gradual decline of Crytek over the years and how terrible GFace is.

Actually, with Gamescom next week, it might be good timing to get something like this started.

I agree completely with this sentiment, because I've wanted somewhere to talk about this exact thing (Crytek becoming a smoldering heap) with some reasonable people instead of just getting all of my information from various podcasts and reactionary articles on "gaming journalism" sites.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

Any gaming news website is going to be terrible from start to finish. The articles being posted aren't actual news, they're just clickbait. Then the comments section is just morons posting memes and trolling each other.

Why can't you post that thread now?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
because they need a forum to themselves, you see :eng101:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nilumtil posted:

Dude, sometimes people just wanna toss words out there. It's a forum, that's kind of what it's there for. If people are instigating arguments over and over then I agree that that's banworthy behavior but you shouldn't have to pass some sort of 100 question test just so you can post 'i really wish waluigi was in smash brothers' or whatever.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Endorph posted:

Dude, sometimes people just wanna toss words out there.

I dunno, I mean I agree that every post shouldn't need to be a masters thesis... never meant to imply that. However, I definitely remember when "throwing words out there" was likely to eventually lead to a ban. Later on, probations then bans. Then, I wonder if that would help these days.

I didn't expect everyone to agree with me, this is just something I've wanted to say for years.

edit:

Ularg posted:

A "You must post a reasonable amount of content per post" is a nearly impossible rule to enforce.

SA used to do exactly this for years, and they did it by a subjective basis rather than an objective rule. "You're posting bad" used to directly equate to "you don't belong here".

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 9, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

nilumtil posted:

I concur that the bar for posting is lower than it should be, unfortunately.

A "You must post a reasonable amount of content per post" is a nearly impossible rule to enforce. How much content is just enough? I know people will get poo poo on if they try to post too much content. Like if someone used just as many words as you in another thread they'd probably get ran out for sperging. I don't think we should be afraid to post because "Oh man, did I post enough :words:, or too many?" or "Am I using :v: too much?"

The more chat like style does not mean you can't have any sort of good discussions. Look at the PS4 general thread. There's some one off "This is really neat, check it out" and "Hey let's talk about Gold headsets for the 100th time." It should be anything goes outside of one word replies and harassment. Because enforcing some sort of minimum content rule will just lead to way less activity.

Edit: And for the record I think bans are just dumb thing to use except for really edge cases. A ban is "We don't think you belong on Something Awful." not "You're posting bad, here's a $10 fine".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, I mean, how exactly do you judge how 'worthy' a post is? Even if a joke fails to land, it's still an attempt at a joke. Even if you're echoing the opinion of 100 other posters, you're still expressing your opinion. Nobody really posts complete garbage, at least in the threads I've seen, because Imp Zone kind of acts as a runoff for posts that are just 'gas' and 'nice av dude.' It's an internet forum, not the holy grail of discourse. It's one thing if you're yelling slurs into the night, but if you just made an uninteresting post, I don't think you should really be punished for that. And I've still seen plenty of interesting discussions. Heck, probably more so, since there are more threads where you're allowed to go 'I think this thing sucks and here's why.'

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Grump posted:

because they need a forum to themselves, you see :eng101:

Because right now I'm getting my headlines from neogaf and r/gaming and I know this forum could do it better.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Kewpuh posted:

Theres also one more thing I want to talk about before I go. Megathreads were a pretty big concern in the last thread. Some of us actually brainstormed a lot of ideas to try to come up with a solution and none of them seemed very feasible. One of them was actually creating individual subforums for each genre of game where megathreads go and then having the base forum of Games be for just general Games discussion but picturing more than half of the page being taken up by links to each subforum ended up looking like a goddamn unreadable mess. I'm still trying to think of other stuff but for now Megathreads are what they are and we just kind of deal with it.

What if instead of a half-page list of links, you just made them tiny links like the collapsible thread label filter? You could even just give them tiny labels as well. Yeah I don't know it's just brainstorming.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
It's not as though you both don't make good points. However I really do think there's merit to trying to nudge the community towards effortposting and away from IRC room content. I wouldn't suggest any type of real inquisition or objective rule.

Maybe we can't do it the way we used to. I mean, where Kewpeh says that he thought maybe it was the heavy moderation when it was the quality of poster... I would add that there's a distinction between heavy moderation and keeping people out.

We did keep people out for years, during the "good times" I'm talking about. People that were not seen as smart enough, funny enough or adding anything to the discussion. were literally run off, both through the community ostracizing people and admins. Today, bans and probation just mean re-registering.

I don't know if this can be done in 2014. I'd still prefer it. The forums were better.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 9, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Revitalized posted:

What if instead of a half-page list of links, you just made them tiny links like the collapsible thread label filter? You could even just give them tiny labels as well. Yeah I don't know it's just brainstorming.

That sounds like a new forum feature, which could destroy the site.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

nilumtil posted:

It's not as though you both don't make good points. However I really do think there's merit to trying to nudge the community towards effortposting and away from IRC room content. I wouldn't suggest any type of real inquisition or objective rule. I am starting to really agree with Kewpah about the quality of the average poster having been higher. What I was suggesting was less of "institate said rule about content, enforce objectively.

Maybe we can't do it the way we used to. I mean, where Kewpeh says that he thought maybe it was the heavy moderation when it was the quality of poster... I would add that there's a distinction between heavy moderation and keeping people out. We did keep people out for years, during the "good times" I'm talking about. People that were not seen as smart enough or funny enough were literally run off. Bans and probation just mean re-registering.

There just has to be a change in attitude. Don't shame someone for effort posting and don't shame anyone for not effort posting hard enough. Any runoff one-time funny stuff can go into Imp Zone but shouldn't mean you can't be funny in Games.

I mean, I'd love to see a thread dedicated into Behind the Scenes stuff and documentaries, but wouldn't want to see that anime-titty thread disappear.

elf help book posted:

That sounds like a new forum feature, which could destroy the site.

We've learned our lesson trying to delete FYAD, right? Never mess with the forums.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

nilumtil posted:

It's not as though you both don't make good points. However I really do think there's merit to trying to nudge the community towards effortposting and away from IRC room content. I wouldn't suggest any type of real inquisition or objective rule.

Maybe we can't do it the way we used to. I mean, where Kewpeh says that he thought maybe it was the heavy moderation when it was the quality of poster... I would add that there's a distinction between heavy moderation and keeping people out. We did keep people out for years, during the "good times" I'm talking about. People that were not seen as smart enough or funny enough were literally run off, both through the community ostracizing people and admins. Today, bans and probation just mean re-registering.

I don't know if this can be done in 2014. I'd still prefer it. The forums were better.

People get run off all the time. I've even been run off once or twice. The problem is that the majority of us are all nice guys so we don't hold petty grudges against weirdos. I like to read Games because I enjoy reading the opinions of a group of people I respect. Sometimes these opinions only need to be a sentence long ("I really wanted to like (blank) but the (blank) just really makes it impossible") It's true that 75% of the post are 'useless' but that just makes the gems even better. Megathreads aren't a bad thing. I've managed to keep up with threads with thousands of posts, because those posts get made over the course of years. The discussions contained within are still just as valid.

For instance, you can go to pretty much any page in the Fallout: New Vegas thread and find some interesting discussion in it.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

nilumtil posted:

I dunno, I mean I agree that every post shouldn't need to be a masters thesis... never meant to imply that. However, I definitely remember when "throwing words out there" was likely to eventually lead to a ban. Later on, probations then bans. Then, I wonder if that would help these days.

I didn't expect everyone to agree with me, this is just something I've wanted to say for years.

edit:

SA used to do exactly this for years, and they did it by a subjective basis rather than an objective rule. "You're posting bad" used to directly equate to "you don't belong here".

You should be banned for editing a reply into this post to a post made after it.

• Locked thread