Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Really, what we need to do is just drill into everyone's skulls :justpost:. It would solve most of the problems people keep bringing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

FadedReality posted:

The example I'd point to was the ill fated gamesjournalism.txt thread. It went on for a while as most .txt threads do, poking fun at examples of awful or self important game journalism blowhards and people discussing what makes for good writing about games and what doesn't. Then one showed up to defend the e-honor of his colleagues which led quickly from slapfight to crazy poo poo and all the way down to enormous walls of text about how good/bad Anita Sarkeesian was. Which rightfully got the thread locked. Which IIRC was the only moderation in the only thread that was devoted solely to discussing and dressing down the amateur rear end games journalism field.

I just need to point out that this thread was ruined by SA superstar Bob "bobservo" Mackey whose claim to fame is fellating Jeremy Parish for about a decade.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 11, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

I just need to point out that this thread was ruined by SA superstar Bob "bobservo" Mackey who's claim to fame is fellating Jeremy Parish for about a decade.

Noted. Very interesting. I'll file that under "who gives a poo poo" along with every other piece of trivia about a Games poster.

Like you guys talking about how people posting in those social justice threads or w/e "don't have qualifications" and poo poo are loving crazy weirdos, how can you possibly have the time and the space in your brain to care about the personal identities and histories of individual posters? And those same social justice people keep trying to doxx the FYAD people and trolls in the Gamers.txt in weird and embarrassing ways and like. Gross.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OG Necromancer posted:

Really, what we need to do is just drill into everyone's skulls :justpost:. It would solve most of the problems people keep bringing up.

It's gonna take some time given how people were scared shitless about posting a thread with less than a novel's worth of content in the OP or making a reply that might have gone against one of the billions of unwritten Posting Rules

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Noted. Very interesting. I'll file that under "who gives a poo poo" along with every other piece of trivia about a Games poster.

Like you guys talking about how people posting in those social justice threads or w/e "don't have qualifications" and poo poo are loving crazy weirdos, how can you possibly have the time and the space in your brain to care about the personal identities and histories of individual posters? And those same social justice people keep trying to doxx the FYAD people and trolls in the Gamers.txt in weird and embarrassing ways and like. Gross.

Some people sperg about video games. Others sperg about early 20th century dishwashers. And some sperg about the SomethingAwful internet comedy forums, because sometimes you just don't get to pick the weird poo poo your brain thinks is cool and interesting. :spergin:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kewpuh posted:

I mean I'm fine with just leaving that up to whoever posted the original thread unless they completely disappeared in which case it's fine for someone else to make a new one. I don't want to be too overbearing and jump into a thread at a certain page number regardless of what conversation might be happening and go "SORRY PAGE 175 MOVE ON FUCKERS" *pounds close thread button and laughs while people scramble to make a new thread*

Yeah going with this I am generally fine with megathreads and the direction Games is going in general, but some OLD megathreads that haven't seen a update in years probably need a restart. Final Fantasy megathread for example hasn't seen the OP edit it in two years and there been several titles and re-releases since that are not even in mentioned.

Which in the same case, wonder if some older threads with a ton of posts need a restart like the "I Killed Lord British" thread which is from 2007.

tayloryeow
Jul 29, 2014

BinaryDoubts posted:

id advocate for bringing back bans for not using the shift key since half the posts in the godawful Dota thread are people shitposting like this. also just posting 'lol' and a quote. that said i dont think the Dota thread can be saved but man I wish shitposting was more harshly moderated.

Imp zone is good though

LOL

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

For real, anyone getting their rear end in a top hat in a knot about the dota thread kinda sucks. It's bad but it could be a whole hell of a lot worse, just check out neogaf.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

mobas and the dorks who play them are awful so who gives a poo poo

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

mobas and the dorks who play them are awful so who gives a poo poo

You got that right

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Rirse posted:

Yeah going with this I am generally fine with megathreads and the direction Games is going in general, but some OLD megathreads that haven't seen a update in years probably need a restart. Final Fantasy megathread for example hasn't seen the OP edit it in two years and there been several titles and re-releases since that are not even in mentioned.

Which in the same case, wonder if some older threads with a ton of posts need a restart like the "I Killed Lord British" thread which is from 2007.

The griefing and awful mod threads are better for their longevity. Both threads should be seen as collections of short, self-contained stories wherein the OP acts as a jumping off point. Restarting the threads would do nothing but erase hundreds of pages of goofy poo poo unless the original threads get goldmined for some reason and that probably won't happen.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Propaganda Hour posted:

The griefing and awful mod threads are better for their longevity. Both threads should be seen as collections of short, self-contained stories wherein the OP acts as a jumping off point. Restarting the threads would do nothing but erase hundreds of pages of goofy poo poo unless the original threads get goldmined for some reason and that probably won't happen.

Yeah the old thread should probably get gold mine if it does get restarted. While it not a thread that you need to read all the posts, I was trying to do that a while back and it sucked so many pictures that were lost since they used Waffleimage or some other picture host. But yeah I can see what you mean that it not as necessary to restart it to say the Final Fantasy megathread.

tayloryeow
Jul 29, 2014

Crummelhorn posted:

You got that right

Idk I think Moba's are pretty alright, but I only play league so I don't have a good amount of experience.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

tayloryeow posted:

Idk I think Moba's are pretty alright, but I only play league so I don't have a good amount of experience.

Its not so much that the games themselves are bad but the fact that they transform people into living goatse.

tayloryeow
Jul 29, 2014
I've heard about dota and I've been thinking of picking it up. I've been following the pro's streams and it seems way more complicated, but more fun than lol

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

OG Necromancer posted:

Pretty much.

This thread is getting ridiculous. Kewpuhsays everything is going pretty well and now everyone wants Games to get another drastic change so we can discuss fuckin video game journalism.

You kiddin me?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Games Journalism much like the Xbox One is dead and buried in a pit of stale doritos and discarded mountain dew cans.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

The Taint Reaper posted:

Games Journalism much like the Xbox One is dead and buried in a pit of stale doritos and discarded mountain dew cans.

Xbox One changed Gaming the same way Polygon changed Games Journalism.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

If it's boring uninteresting news don't post it, even with an opinion. Only post the news you find interesting because you will naturally have an opinion on it, and that will naturally start a discussion. You don't need rules for that, only common sense!
That's what I was trying to get at. At the moment pretty much any news is just shuttered away in it's relevant megathread. As long as it's not just Click-Bait news (So what, 90% of gaming news? :v:) :justpost:

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Xbox One changed Gaming the same way Polygon changed Games Journalism.

:vince:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I used to really enjoy the Xbox One Fun Making thread, but it seems more dedicated to talking about virgins now, which seems off-topic. There has been some pretty fun stuff in there, but mostly now consists of "Well you'll never have sex, haha". While accurate, it's a bit low effort.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Every post in a thread has a date and a revision date attached to it. Why burden everyone else when there are existing tools to help you know how "fresh" a topic is? OPs are not wikis.

The thing is that people don't read the OP because they automatically assume it is outdated. The GW2 thread has been remade twice or so since the subforum closed down, people ask with clockwork regularity 'I haven't played since X, what's new?' and get the same responses by six different people. When an meaningful update can spawn several hundred posts of mostly ignorable content, you're almost always better off asking goons in-game for answers and actual results.

Taking a break from the game for a few months (like people do) puts them thousands of posts behind so it's not surprising they take the easiest option. To my mind, MMOs and MOBAs would benefit from being remade often since people are more likely to effort post about balance and updates tend to be game-changing.

The latter where GW2 is the exception. :laugh:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

OG Necromancer posted:

Its not so much that the games themselves are bad but the fact that they transform people into living goatse.

I play dota and that is a very apt description well done.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

It would be nice if every thread didn't have a dadjoke in the title. Just My Two Cents

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dad gay? Why wait? Snap into a slim jim.

E: This place is perfect now. Don't let rosie o'donald colored glasses make you think any different.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Hog Inspector posted:

It would be nice if every thread didn't have a dadjoke in the title. Just My Two Cents

There is nothing better than a good dad joke. Keep them in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dad jokes best jokes, imo.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Hog Inspector posted:

At least the game name is first so it's easy to scan through. Lets Play's titles are awful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

elf help book posted:

At least the game name is first so it's easy to scan through. Lets Play's titles are awful.

Actually that would be a good rule, make sure your title has the game name first, the LP forum can be really hard to read sometimes, which is fine, I mean, you don't use the LP forum for reference, but the general games forum should probably keep titles easily readable so people don't have trouble figuring out what does and doesn't have a thread.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

OwlFancier posted:

Actually that would be a good rule, make sure your title has the game name first, the LP forum can be really hard to read sometimes, which is fine, I mean, you don't use the LP forum for reference, but the general games forum should probably keep titles easily readable so people don't have trouble figuring out what does and doesn't have a thread.

Instead of a rule, why don't you just go into a thread where someone did it wrong and call them an idiot?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
^^^
Also a reasonable solution.

OwlFancier posted:

Game name first is good imo, as long as the thread is about a specific game.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
As long as we keep the dad jokes, I'm okay with anything. Kewpuh, could you convince Lowtax to spend some avatar money or something on full time dad-joke writers? TIA.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
This might might earn me a ban or probation but gently caress it.

gently caress all of you, there's petty, and then there's this poo poo, you are all children, my own fault for associating with you pieces of poo poo.

Since you seem to be sweet on me central, gently caress you, I have no idea what your deal is with me.

As for the avatar buyer, congrats, you won, this is what you wanted right? Make me rage in the forums? Well here you go, enjoy your prize you worthless piece of poo poo, even then I don't wish horrible things on you, just pity that's you would take this far, and for what? Because I find creepy images, creepy? Because I can point flaws in the game you all love so much? Because I think your stupid jokes are old and tired? For that? Really?

And you know what its not even about the avatar, I'm always trying to find a spot to fit in, I thought I found that here, silly me, its for reminding me of what I don't have anymore, about how the one person who truly made me feel like I belonged is loving dead, that's what's this all bullshit reminds me off, I wish it was as simple as a stupid avatar, you wouldn't be the first, but probably the last.

I'll be 30 in a month and its like I never left highschool whenever I use the net, but mostly when I get involved with goons, exceptions of course, Kazoo, Ashley, Goshawk, all wonderful people, a few I didn't mention.

So gently caress it, congrats, really congrats, you pushed me over the edge. Enjoy friends, quote and laugh, enjoy my ban.

And no worries, I have 0 intention of escalating this in any capacity, this and what I said guild chat are the long and short of it.

Hope you all have a swell day, I truly do.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kewpuh posted:

gently caress all of you, there's petty, and then there's this poo poo, you are all children, my own fault for associating with you pieces of poo poo.

Since you seem to be sweet on me central, gently caress you, I have no idea what your deal is with me.

As for the avatar buyer, congrats, you won, this is what you wanted right? Make me rage in the forums? Well here you go, enjoy your prize you worthless piece of poo poo, even then I don't wish horrible things on you, just pity that's you would take this far, and for what? Because I find creepy images, creepy? Because I can point flaws in the game you all love so much? Because I think your stupid jokes are old and tired? For that? Really?

And you know what its not even about the avatar, I'm always trying to find a spot to fit in, I thought I found that here, silly me, its for reminding me of what I don't have anymore, about how the one person who truly made me feel like I belonged is loving dead, that's what's this all bullshit reminds me off, I wish it was as simple as a stupid avatar, you wouldn't be the first, but probably the last.

I'll be 30 in a month and its like I never left highschool whenever I use the net, but mostly when I get involved with goons, exceptions of course, Kazoo, Ashley, Goshawk, all wonderful people, a few I didn't mention.

So gently caress it, congrats, really congrats, you pushed me over the edge. Enjoy friends, quote and laugh, enjoy my ban.

And no worries, I have 0 intention of escalating this in any capacity, this and what I said guild chat are the long and short of it.

That's not a dad joke, Kewpuh.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Av purchase? What?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

quote your sources idiot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What on earth was that about?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That's beautiful, Kewpuh.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Malek posted:

Av purchase? What?

OwlFancier posted:

What on earth was that about?

Beautiful thing happened in the mmo hmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kewpuh posted:

That's a good day for SA, I'd say. Hooray.

• Locked thread