Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Alright so did we come up with anything besides stay the course and also please protect hypothetical threads that may or may not ever be created sorry I dont have examples from getting threadshat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The idea to hide threads we don't want to read, so we can turn entire forums into our User Control Panel favorites while still being exposed to new threads.

edit: This has an extra bonus as well. If people in the thread start to complain about the thread you can just say "well nothing's stopping you from just hiding it and never seeing it again"

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 12, 2014

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The idea to hide threads we don't want to read, so we can turn entire forums into our User Control Panel favorites while still being exposed to new threads.

Oh man, can this please happen?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bring Robin Williams back to life.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kewpuh posted:

Alright so did we come up with anything besides stay the course and also please protect hypothetical threads that may or may not ever be created sorry I dont have examples from getting threadshat

New rule: Anime rules.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sticky the boob anime ninja game thread. It's the best thread on this dumb forum, confirmed.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Kewpuh posted:

I'd like it if game megathreads had to make a new thread when the game actually comes out or a couple weeks after it comes out at least. It's real annoying checking out the thread for a game and seeing the OP is pre-release information followed by 50 pages of people talking about how they pre-ordered it and speculating on whether it will be good. I want to read what goons think of it now that they've tried it, not what they imagine they'll think of it when it comes out.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's almost like "Big FYAD" is just someone afraid that they might finally be called out on their dumbshit opinions.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

edit: This has an extra bonus as well. If people in the thread start to complain about the thread you can just say "well nothing's stopping you from just hiding it and never seeing it again"

This is a great idea but realistically this is nothing that I can take to anyone and be like "make this happen." The best way to go about something regarding forum features would to be to bring it up in QCS where Lowtax or the admins would see it so they can refer it to the coder guy to see if it's even feasibly possible to do

Higsian posted:

I'd like it if game megathreads had to make a new thread when the game actually comes out or a couple weeks after it comes out at least. It's real annoying checking out the thread for a game and seeing the OP is pre-release information followed by 50 pages of people talking about how they pre-ordered it and speculating on whether it will be good. I want to read what goons think of it now that they've tried it, not what they imagine they'll think of it when it comes out.

This already happens with almost all major releases. Guys make a thread when a game is announced and then make a new one when the game is about to come out.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Higsian posted:

Just ask in the thread, no one is going to lock you up for missing an apostrophe or some poo poo.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I like to read the opinions as they form!

But I guess if it's already a thing I just happened to run into a couple exceptions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Better organisational tools in general would be nice, I don't know if thread favorite-ing works properly? Something to either mark a thread to show up easily, or hide threads you're not interested in would help with browsing the forum but that's more of a forum feature request than a moderation issue.

Yeah otherwise I can't think of much rules wise I would change. The forum works pretty well at the moment.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

I believe SALR has this feature if you feel like installing that.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Not sure if this was talked about already but how can mods/admins tell what is a funny "in the know" post and what is bullshit? What I mean to say is that a lot of the games have mini cultures where funny things happen and they're referenced in the threads and could be seen as white noise from someone on the outside when in reality its 100% grade A beef comedy poo poo for the laughs? The way it is now is good, I'd rather not see reference joke posts get banned for being low content when it could actually bring up something good down the line in the thread/be referenced in game. But I also want to know how you guys determine what could be reference and what could be just dumb content which gets ignored?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

I believe SALR has this feature if you feel like installing that.

Thanks, I just installed it now. The only thing I don't like is how hard it is to see how many new posts there are, since the number is now tiny and off to the side, next to the total number of posts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

That loving Sned posted:

Thanks, I just installed it now. The only thing I don't like is how hard it is to see how many new posts there are, since the number is now tiny and off to the side, next to the total number of posts.

There are 80 million options that I haven't touched in years, you may be able to get rid of it since the forums itself does the last read thing.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Slumpy posted:

Not sure if this was talked about already but how can mods/admins tell what is a funny "in the know" post and what is bullshit? What I mean to say is that a lot of the games have mini cultures where funny things happen and they're referenced in the threads and could be seen as white noise from someone on the outside when in reality its 100% grade A beef comedy poo poo for the laughs? The way it is now is good, I'd rather not see reference joke posts get banned for being low content when it could actually bring up something good down the line in the thread/be referenced in game. But I also want to know how you guys determine what could be reference and what could be just dumb content which gets ignored?

When you tell a good joke, people around you laugh. When you tell a bad joke, people look at you strange or laugh at you or both. Posting works the same way.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Slumpy posted:

what the gently caress is this nerd poo poo

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Slumpy posted:

This isn't really a problem that comes up often but it definitely happens. Most of the time it happens in the DOTA 2 thread and every time I see the report my response in that report is always this:

"might be an inside joke or just how they talk to each other in the thread zooloo please handle"

Seems to work out okay since I've never seen a complaint. If it's other threads we'll usually research back a few pages to see if it's part of some inside joke poo poo but even if we get it wrong you can always message us and let us know and we'll retract it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

This isn't really a problem that comes up often but it definitely happens. Most of the time it happens in the DOTA 2 thread and every time I see the report my response in that report is always this:

"might be an inside joke or just how they talk to each other in the thread zooloo please handle"

Seems to work out okay since I've never seen a complaint. If it's other threads we'll usually research back a few pages to see if it's part of some inside joke poo poo but even if we get it wrong you can always message us and let us know and we'll retract it.

Do you have any examples of said DOTA2 posts that were reported?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Kild posted:

Do you have any examples of said DOTA2 posts that were reported?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

poor zoolooman :(

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

please don't hide their name. shame them pls

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Hello?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Liquid Penguins posted:

I'm so happy we are allowed to make fun of scam games like star citizen openly. Absolutely a step in the right direction.

Sadly the only good and accurate Diablo 3 thread (the bitchin one) was gassed.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i like that empty quoting and single emoting isnt like an auto probe now and also that reports are down because reporting isnt cool

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Awesome! posted:

i like that empty quoting and single emoting isnt like an auto probe now and also that reports are down because reporting isnt cool

I don't like the first part but I like the second part. Postin' is a lot more easygoing these days but it's also more toxic and generally less good. It's okay I guess; if it ain't broke don't fix it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Awesome! posted:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
As an aside Kewpuh, after eight years here this is still my favorite game forum on the internet, and as a game developer I feel really safe and rewarded engaging with peeps here. Thanks for the work you and the others mods do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brackhar posted:

As an aside Kewpuh, after eight years here this is still my favorite game forum on the internet, and as a game developer I feel really safe and rewarded engaging with peeps here. Thanks for the work you and the others mods do.
I made the manamune suggestion in the LoL thread like 5 years ago and the item was implemented into the game exactly like what I said it should be and then I never got ten billion dollars what the gently caress

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Kild posted:

please don't hide their name. shame them pls

It says Gangnam Reference right there???

He should be banned for using stupid memes though..

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Yep. Looks like we got a clear-cut case of cross-thread dick riding.

In this case the person who clicked the report should be probated as pointless whine. Gogey should be probated as well for an unnecessary post in which I already katana chopped that misguided poster. But for a shorter time because he was funny.

You can forward all future dota reports to my email and i can guide you on how to proceed feartheuprising666@gmail.com

Up to the Elves fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 13, 2014

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Personally enjoying the more lax approach. You still get plenty of effort posts and some genuinely weird posts but it's a lot nicer. While I'm sure megathreads can get pretty tedious and sometimes some really stupid topics get discussed for many, many pages, divvying them up those subjects into threads would just make it super goddamned clustered. Thanks for letting us get to call people out for stupid poo poo and let threads work themselves out more often than not.

Oh and that Minorities thread was an absolute loving atrocity. I know there were ideas floating around to discuss how a character has a really skimpy skirt is problematic or whatever to DnD, but why'd a thread never pop up there?

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 13, 2014

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the minority thread being gone is good because now you can actually talk about games without hair-trigger weirdos yelling to take it the designated thread if you mention not liking shooting black people

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Hog Inspector posted:

the minority thread being gone is good because now you can actually talk about games without hair-trigger weirdos yelling to take it the designated thread if you mention not liking shooting black people

I, too, like this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Servaetes posted:

Oh and that Minorities thread was an absolute loving atrocity. I know there were ideas floating around to discuss how a character has a really skimpy skirt is problematic or whatever to DnD, but why'd a thread never pop up there?
Because they talk about things that actually affect people in D&D

Well okay that's a lie but they sure as poo poo affect more people than partial nudity in video games.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Hog Inspector posted:

You shouldn't "like" shooting anyone you sick gently caress *ughh*

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

iuvian posted:

You shouldn't "like" shooting anyone you sick gently caress *ughh*
this but while shooting white people in a videogame

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Hey Kewpuh, is there a way to contact you outside of PMs? I don't have plat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Servaetes posted:

There's minorities threads in E/N that handle that poo poo way better than we did and DnD probably could, though you'd probably get laughed out for trying to talk about problematic videogames in there.

• Locked thread