Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

I dunno, I kind of disagree here. I think there are maybe 4 total threads that fit this description and they're pretty much contained and also quite funny - Gamers.txt, Xbone Shark Tank, Wii U Hate thread, and that anime thread with the enormous anime tits. All of the other threads, and there are a shitload of other threads, all read pretty much the same to me. I will say that people dont get punished for slapfights anymore and I made that choice because it actually turned out to be pretty much the same as far as occurrences go. Even when we tried to punish people for arguing with each other over something stupid, it still happened all the time. Now it happens all the time but almost every instance of it gets resolved between the two dopes pretty quickly and then its all over. I much prefer this route instead of trying to babysit people disagreeing with each other. That isnt to say that we wont step in if things get really out of hand but that hasnt really been the case.

That's basically how I feel too. Most of the forum seems to work OK, and the occasional cats-in-a-sack bickering tends to work itself out, and everyone else gets to point and laugh.

Also you can post any dumb opinions about games you want and not face anything more painful than the utter disgust and condemnation of your internet peers, so that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the idea is you want game headline discussion without the actual game headline site comments?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

Because right now I'm getting my headlines from neogaf and r/gaming and I know this forum could do it better.

It can when it tries, but I would be surprised if you could find enough folks wanting to write up decent newsposts to make it fill up a subforum.

nilumtil posted:

It's not as though you both don't make good points. However I really do think there's merit to trying to nudge the community towards effortposting and away from IRC room content. I wouldn't suggest any type of real inquisition or objective rule.

Maybe we can't do it the way we used to. I mean, where Kewpeh says that he thought maybe it was the heavy moderation when it was the quality of poster... I would add that there's a distinction between heavy moderation and keeping people out.

We did keep people out for years, during the "good times" I'm talking about. People that were not seen as smart enough, funny enough or adding anything to the discussion. were literally run off, both through the community ostracizing people and admins. Today, bans and probation just mean re-registering.

I don't know if this can be done in 2014. I'd still prefer it. The forums were better.

That's... not really the sort of forum I'd want to post on, or would post on, really. I browse the forum in my off-time, I don't really want to write like I was trying to get published all the time. The conversational tone I find is quite pleasant, and I don't think the quality is lacking, not compared to what I've seen elsewhere.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 9, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While arguing about the the pressing need to revolutionise the social equality of gaming or whatever may be a worthy and serious thing for the person doing it, it's also really fuckin' boring for everyone else to read.

So on a public forum it's going to get poo poo on. Same goes for other things that are more interesting to the person writing about them than to most of the people reading them.

Like it or not it's still a public internet forum so you're still going to get a load of people calling you a turbonerd if you write a 1000 word OP about some minute aspect of your nerdy hobby.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

echronorian posted:

This right here. Not every thread or post you make is going to be good or liked, all of us make bad points and good points at different times. What sucked was it was getting to the point I didn't want to respond to anyone; I didn't want to get banned because someone is sensitive about their hobby.

I feel the catering to that is a disservice to the posters. It's sort of enabling in a way if this or any forum is just a big hug box. That isn't how the world works, and it probably isn't how the Internet should work either. Catering to the maladjusted is how you end up with actual perverts who think their rights are being stepped on when they can't talk openly about child molestation.

Yeah I think Games is currently at something like a happy medium, people generally post worthwhile things, occasionally a slapfight breaks out and resolves itself, and exceptionally dumb poo poo gets completely dogpiled. Moderately dumb poo poo gets people making fun of it.

It's a nice self-reinforcing thing where the dumber your post, the harsher the response. If someone is completely immune to social cues that's what the mods are for, but most of it seems to work itself out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dad jokes best jokes, imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

elf help book posted:

At least the game name is first so it's easy to scan through. Lets Play's titles are awful.

Actually that would be a good rule, make sure your title has the game name first, the LP forum can be really hard to read sometimes, which is fine, I mean, you don't use the LP forum for reference, but the general games forum should probably keep titles easily readable so people don't have trouble figuring out what does and doesn't have a thread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What on earth was that about?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, at least kewpuh hasn't gone insane? That's good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if it's too late to swap Robin Williams for Robbie Williams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The idea to hide threads we don't want to read, so we can turn entire forums into our User Control Panel favorites while still being exposed to new threads.

edit: This has an extra bonus as well. If people in the thread start to complain about the thread you can just say "well nothing's stopping you from just hiding it and never seeing it again"

Better organisational tools in general would be nice, I don't know if thread favorite-ing works properly? Something to either mark a thread to show up easily, or hide threads you're not interested in would help with browsing the forum but that's more of a forum feature request than a moderation issue.

Yeah otherwise I can't think of much rules wise I would change. The forum works pretty well at the moment.

• Locked thread