Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

So, with 5th edition literally days away, there can be no better time to start a 4th edition game, amirite?

Specifically, I'm starting a 4E game run online using the Fantasy Grounds software (https://www.fantasygrounds.com). Playtime will be 8 PM PST, probably Wednesdays. We'll be starting with a standalone intro scenario with pregens, then move to a full blown adventure path to be decided on by the group (I just don't have the time to write everything from scratch) once everyone has meshed.

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
HI! Fellow west coaster here looking to play instead of run.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I am available at that time, and I'm interested in this.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like two people! I can make Wednesday evening free

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

P.d0t returned from the void, so Herr Tog fills us up. Sorry Flame112, I'll let you know if a spot opens up. We now have a full contingent, consisting of:

P.d0t
nucleicmaxid
Cerepol
Al Baron
Herr Tog

with myself as your humble dungeon master. With that being established, let's move on to some logistics for the intro scenario.

Character creation for intro scenario

The scenario comes with five pregenerated characters to choose from:

Dwarf Paladin (divine defender)
Human Artificer (arcane leader) - P.d0t
Half-elf Sorcerer (arcane striker) - Al Baron
Kalashtar Invoker (divine controller) - Herr Tog
Warforged Fighter (martial defender) - nucleicmaxid
Genasi Swordmage (arcane defender) - cerepol

The adventure is set in Eberron, so if the kalashtar and warforged races are unfamiliar that's why. Warforged are sentient battle golems, kalashtar are psychic dreamwalkers. It's a well balanced party and all of them have a chance to shine in one encounter or another. If you cannot be constrained by the character creations of lesser men, feel free to roll up a level two PC of your choice with two +1 magic items, just coordinate with the group so all the roles are covered.

Tools for the intro scenario

As mentioned in the OP (the subject line of which I can't edit for some reason), we'll be using Fantasy Grounds 3 as our virtual tabletop. You can download it from https://www.fantasygrounds.com or get it from Steam. I have the Ultimate license, so you only need to get the free/demo version to connect. Or feel free to purchase a Player license, I've found SmiteWorks to be good people and FG really is a cut above Roll20 or the like.

We also need some sort of group voice chat. Al Baron cannot use TeamSpeak (it locks his computer for an unknown reason) so it'll need to be Skype, Google Hangouts, or Mumble if we can find a free mumble server to use. Let your opinion be known and we'll settle on whatever everyone is comfortable with.

Scheduling

We'll start at 8 PM PST, so let's figure out the day. Could everyone do this coming Thursday (August 14th)?

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 13, 2014

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for having me.

I would either like to make a human invoker or take the pregenerated Kalashtar invoker. I am unfamiliar with Eberron and the restriction on Gods, please advise.

I will be looking at getting the Fantasy Grounds on Steam. I have had wonderful success with Steams voice chat in a party of two for what it is worth.

I have not tested all of those other voice communications on my comp but in the past Team speak and mumble have been fine.

The 18th, to my knowledge, is a Monday and would work for me. The 22nd, a Friday, would not work for me.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Anyday is fine by me.

I'd like to grab the Half-elf Sorcerer.

I can use Mumble and Skype fine. I'd rather not use Google Hangout but can if needed.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Corrected the date because I am an idiot. The Friday I'm referring to is this coming Friday, August 15th.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The 15th would not work for me, I would, at best, be 2 hours late to the party.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Howsabout Thursday?

Also, here is a good rundown of the Eberron setting including the gods in play.

kaynorr fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 10, 2014

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
HELL YEA. I might be a bit tired. Should I have my character ready to go day of?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

kaynorr posted:

Sorry Flame112, I'll let you know if a spot opens up.

It's cool, I'll keep track of the thread if you need me.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

Also, here is a good rundown of the Eberron setting including the gods in play.

Thank you~

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Friday and Saturday are completely out for me this week (and are typically go hang out with RL friends days anyway) but any day between now and Thursday is fine, as is Sunday. 8:00pm is 10:00pm for me (CST4lyfe) so, as long as the game doesn't run for like 6 hours I should be fine.

My vote is Wednesday or Thursday, but I'm flexible so long as it's not my two black-out days this week.

Also, for the pregens, I really like the Warforged Warrior for me, if that's cool.

I'll pick a secondary of the Dwarven Paladin if someone is super into being Ironman.

ninja edit: Also I prefer mumble to skype, listening to sweaty neckbeards breathe is awful. No offense. (I'm playing DnD organized on SA I, too, am a sweaty neckbeard.)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Are we doing it this Wednesday? If so cool, anyways for playdates in the range of next week (that being the 15th-22nd), I'll have to check if my connection can handle it as I'll be up in cottage country.

I'll grab the defender, though if you don't mind I want to try my hand at creating a character in this system as I've only done it once and now that I've (badly) GM'd it I want to try again.

Edit: Is warrior just fighter or is it some essentials thing?

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 11, 2014

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Sounds like Wednesday is the winner, so let's lock it down. Wednesday, 8 PM PST. I'll post details to connect to this game in the thread. Mumble seems to be the choice product for voice, but we need to find a server to use.

Cerepol, go ahead and create a character if you like. I mistyped "warrior" instead of "fighter", so that's my mistake.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

kaynorr posted:

Mumble seems to be the choice product for voice, but we need to find a server to use.

Well we could always use camping the stairs if everyone here is already registered or is willing to register. We could use any one of a number of empty game channels or even ask for one, mods are pretty decent on their.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

I was literally in the process of posting that. Camping The Stairs sounds like the way to go.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
See you guys on Wednesday on the CTS mumble then. I'll try to talk to Troll and see if he'll give us our own channel, but if not we can just steal an unused one.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So wait this week we are meeting Wednesday or Thursday? Cause next week Wednesday can work.

edit: Also for fantasy grounds do I need to purchase a 4e license cause I can't seem to find that on steam.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 11, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I didn't even realize it was on steam and just used the download off their website, it autodownloaded the 4e module itself.

If you want to check, click manage characters on the start page and see if 4e is included in the list of rulesets.

As far my end, I'm probably going to go with a Battlemind or Swordmage unless you are against it.

EDIT:

It does seem like we are talking about this upcoming Wednesday as the first session, which is 2014/08/13

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 11, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
From what I understand we're playing August 13th of 2014 at 8:00pm PST.

We're using Camping the Stairs, which allows anyone to make a channel, so whoever gets on first make the channel 'Fantasy Grounds' and everyone else just look for it.

edit: Also, if we like this I'd be willing to split a Steam 4pack of the actual purchased Fantasy grounds, it's $30 each if we do it that way.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007

nucleicmaxid posted:

edit: Also, if we like this I'd be willing to split a Steam 4pack of the actual purchased Fantasy grounds, it's $30 each if we do it that way.
You don't actually need to buy a Fantasy Grounds license to play since kaynorr has an Ultimate License. That allows a GM to carry an unlimited number of players using the rulesets that they have access to. You just need to be able to run the demo version.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This Wednesday will not work for me but Wednesdays going forward will.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

This Wednesday will not work for me but Wednesdays going forward will.

I am fine with Thursday then, if everyone else is?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:tviv:

So uh, I'm going to try and get this poo poo working. I'm a pretty low-tech operation so I make no guarantees.

As for the pregens, the healer will probably be fine for me, to round out the party.

Skype will work for me, I just need to see if I have a mic lying around...

This week I am free anytime Tue, Wed, Fri, or else after 11pm PST Thursday.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well poo. It is just this week Wednesday I will be late to the party by two hours but will have a character ready.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Hmm, well it looks like this week is shot; starting two hours late on Wednesday when I'm shooting for three hour sessions probably isn't the most auspicious way to kick things off.

How does next week (August 18th thru 22nd) look? I'm free Monday, Thursday, and Friday.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

Hmm, well it looks like this week is shot; starting two hours late on Wednesday when I'm shooting for three hour sessions probably isn't the most auspicious way to kick things off.

This is unacceptable. Allow me today to try to alter my schedule.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I have changed my schedule, tomorrow evening should be fine.

Additionally only Monday & Wednesday evening next week will be free.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
So I'm assuming we're still on for 8 PM PST today?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Al Baron posted:

So I'm assuming we're still on for 8 PM PST today?

I'm assuming the same.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Yes we're on for tonight (I'm frantically trying to get content imported from DDI and have everything ready). I'll be on Mumble and have the FG server up around 7:30, and will post connection details at that time.

Cerepol, if you could PM or post your character to me ahead of time that would be great, although I think I can input it on the fly in about 10 minutes alternatively. Also, no character names are specified so if you post what you want your name to be I'll add it in advance.

If you have some free time today, take a look at the tutorials (mostly YouTube videos, some text stuff on the wiki) on Fantasy Grounds basics. Tonight will probably go super slow as we all learn how to use the system, but speaking from previous experience with Pathfinder the learning curve as a player isn't too bad at all. It will be a little harder with 4E because of how 4E handles power and the like, but should still be hella fun.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
If I can continue with the human invoker instead I will be named; 'Erik'

edit: should I email you the .dnd4e file for my character cause it doesn't look like I can convert it on my own.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 13, 2014

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
I'll use the name 'Capmor' for the demo.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

If I can continue with the human invoker instead I will be named; 'Erik'

edit: should I email you the .dnd4e file for my character cause it doesn't look like I can convert it on my own.

Yeah, you can either email me the file or just post its contents in the thread.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

Yeah, you can either email me the file or just post its contents in the thread.

What is your email my man?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Sorry, but you don't have PMs and I'm not comfortable putting my email address in a forum post. Could you use something like Dropbox or pastebin to get it to me?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhiIzqxPDA

Alternatively here for file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Got it, plugged in, ready to go. I note that it doesn't have an elemental manifestation specified.

• Locked thread