Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think changing this to be a game about labor disputes is a pretty bold move, and am interested to see what it entails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You will want a social media presence. A modern one, not forums-based.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

Can you go into more detail on this? I'm really not up on my social media.

Edit: I know it might seem like a dumb question, but beyond having a facebook and twitter account, what should I be doing with those things?

I'm totally not the right person to ask about this, but with this kind of product at this kind of scale, the main idea with Twitter will probably be to tweet in ways consistent with the qualities of the game. If people, especially important people or worth listening to, are talking TTRPG design, the tweets coming out of Strike's account should make clear where Strike stands on the issue being discussed. If the designers of games you like or drew inspiration from are posting things that you have an opinion about, retweet it (with comment if you disagree). If you encounter something - a game, an article, a video - that feeds into the creative process, tweet it with a description and maybe a comment about how it fits into Strike.

Tweet about every update or new development in the design process, tweet about things you're thinking about with respect to game design (not even necessarily Strike itself), tweet pithy system-agnostic fun ideas or phrases that Strike supports.

A creative work is the culmination of many decisions. Your website will be a relatively static document (blog posts are often read years down the line; even if you're adding new ones, old posts will remain visible and relevant) reflecting the decisions themselves and the resulting product. Social media is dynamic, almost transient, so it should instead reflect the perspective and opinions that guided those decisions. In other words, 1) be yourself 2) acting in your capacity as a game creator 3) only much more gregarious.

Also, given the origins of the game, it would be prudent to have a strategy for how you're going to present yourself in relation to the main D&D guys - not only how often you follow their lead in deciding what to talk about (which will reflect how closely related Strike is to D&D), but also your attitude toward it. A lot of your target market is made of people who already have an opinion about D&D, so whether you present yourself as hostile, dissenting, respectful, indebted, etc. towards D&D will influence their inclination not only to look into Strike, but also to talk about Strike.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Brian Clevinger plugged you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ElegantFugue posted:

Knowing when and what to cut to make things work better is a huge part of game design that a lot of designers never grasp, so honestly kudos to you if you can work up the courage to excise damaging bloat.

I do like the suggestion to transform it into the Magi, who just Knows All This poo poo About Magic, because any sorcerer will tell you there's a huge difference between knowing how to blow people up by wiggling your fingers, and knowing why people blow up when you wiggle your fingers.

You'd want to call it Magus, as Magi is plural. It is a good name for a class.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Not knowing anything about the EU is an advantage, because nothing misses the point of Star Wars as badly as books about Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just made something up.

Base it loosely on American football. Both teams have a fairly large number of virtual minions who can only move and passively interrupt the movement of enemy players. Minions don't get actions of their own, but each team shares a communal number of actions per turn which they can distribute among their minions, and they can sacrifice some of their own actions to give minions even more, so that a team with fewer minions remaining will be more mobile overall. Players have access to their full complement of combat powers and can use them against each other or the minions. A player or minion reduced to 0 HP is out for the rest of the round, but returns for the next round.

At the start of the game, one minion on one team is holding the Rock. When this minion is slain, the Rock falls onto the field at that location, and it can be claimed by any player or minion who passes through that space. If it is picked up by a player character, they have until the end of their next turn to get rid of the Rock, or it will explode, removing them from the rest of the game and forfeiting the round (which might be tactically advantageous if their team is at a huge disadvantage). They can pass the Rock to a minion with a ranged basic attack.

When all the minions on one team have been slain, the round is over. The position of the Rock along the field determines the score. The side of the starting line that the Rock is on determines which team gets points, and the distance from the starting line determines how many. Minions forced out of bounds will die immediately; players forced out of bounds will be penalized in some way. A game lasts either for a predetermined number of rounds, or until one team accumulates a certain score, or whatever would be more dramatic.

• Locked thread