Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I play-tested this some back when it was Sacred BBQ and it was really fun, and I really like the separation of class and role and also how easy it is to match your flavor to the mechanics. Can't wait to see the new stuff for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

A Catastrophe posted:

Having played in a game recently, one thing that I noticed was the damage multiples. That cover system is too fierce, yo, turns everything into rocket tag.

That's sort of the idea, I think. It's XCom style, where the default state is in cover, or at least it was in the older playtest. So leaping out of cover to flank someone is a huge risk, but it really hurts.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Is there a Kickstarter for this yet/soon? I'd really like to get my hands on a full copy of the rules (even an in-progress one).

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

You might want to make sure that for the Magician part of Strike that in the final document you don't reference the spells as "Bigby's Grasping Hand" or "Melf's Acid Arrow", because I think those could be trademarked? Best to be safe even if they're not, especially since Acid Arrow or Grasping Hand could convey the message well enough.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Definitely backed this. Hope it goes well, and hoping I can run or play in a game of it soon.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

The way it worked in 4e was that minions couldn't be automatically damaged and any ability that did damage without a roll didn't affect them. idk if stooges/goons are expected to work the same way, though.

This isn't actually true though. Miss damage doesn't affect minions (mostly I think so you can't use an aoe daily to autokill them super easily), but autodamage totally affects them. It's why zones and aoe damage stances are really good for minion clearing. I think the Tempest Style doing that is just fine.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I don't know, I like the new version. It is actually a bit more complex than the previous one, and a bit worse at representing two equal partners, but it has a lot of customization options and represents the 'ranger + animal companion' type of play better, which is what I think Jimbozig was going for. Obviously it probably needs a bit more polish and clarification, but the basic idea is solid.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Gort posted:

Do player characters gain HP as they level up? I honestly cannot find such a rule in the Kickstarter PDF, but it would make sense given that monsters gain HP as they level.

Another question: What do you do for knowledge skills? A character wanted to know some stuff about a mutant troll, and they rolled a 2 on their "beast lore" skill, which is a twist. What kind of twists and costs could be associated with a knowledge skill? Bad information? Actually adding powers to the mutant troll?

Or are knowledge skills something you wouldn't even roll for, and you'd just hand out the knowledge?

I'm fairly certain players don't gain HP as they level, but they do gain more damage at certain points, which is why monsters get more HP. As far as I'm aware the only way to get more than 10 HP is to take the Toughness feat (which gives you 13, I think).

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Magician: Chaos Mage is a lot cooler than its original implementation. However, Blood and Star both have very strong in-combat flavor and potentially interesting choices to make, whereas Chaos only cares about what happens before the fight starts (in terms of their feature). I don't know if this actually needs fixed or not but it's something I noticed. The other two features are both really cool.

I don't know, the "getting random effects of other powers you don't know" when you roll a 6 seems pretty significant, and really fitting with the chaos mage flavor. It's not a choice to make, really, but that's sort of the point, isn't it?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I don't think any of the Wizard spells are intended for combat? Maybe for the quick combat mentioned in the base rules where your group doesn't go into tactical combat, but for actual game-based tactical combat it's pretty clearly not intended for that. There's a couple of the Kit benefits that work with combat, also, so even if you can use some of them for combat, it's not that out of line. (Seers have an advance that lets them get a free move/role action at the start of every combat.) Overall I like them and can't wait to see more.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

How's that Strike Roll20 sheet going, whoever made it? I'm about to run a Roll20 game and it'd be real appreciated.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

CaptCommy posted:

I just put it up for approval last night. So we're just waiting for the Roll20 team to approve the pull request and it should be all set. I'll post again when that happens.

Any chance you could contact me somehow or just post the character sheet stuff so I could use it as a custom one while they take their time approving it? I have PMs, if you want to do it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I like the chess master thing, and it seems like it'd be easy to balance by setting a limit on bishop/rook movement, just one greater than the normal limits of the power.

• Locked thread