Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I have wanted to volunteer for the longest, but I'm really afraid to. I'm afraid I will get too attached, or that we will get one too many severely abused animals and I will go off the deep end.

Also, I'm not quite sure how. Some of the bigger places have websites and aplications, but I'm not sure about smaller places. Do you just go in and say, "Hey, I wanna volunteer!" or something?

What is the average day of a volunteer like?

Also-also, I'm really sorry bad things are happening for you, drat Satyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Getting bit or scratched isn't scary. Sucks, happens. Can't really get mad at animals, you know?

So, are those dogs actually, you know part wolf? Or are they a certain breed just called that?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Skizzles posted:

I've volunteered for an open-admission city shelter, am a member of a pit bull advocacy non-profit, did a shelter behavior internship, and went through the Karen Pryor Academy's "Shelter Training & Enrichment" program.

While volunteering is super important and appreciated, so is understanding animal behavior. I would definitely recommend reading up on it if you're going to handle animals or educate the public about them (plus it's just good information to know no matter what).

What literature would you recommend? Are particular books better than others? Where would be a good start?

• Locked thread