Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Hark, knave, for you have now undertaken The Quest!

What the hell is The Quest?

How astute. To address your inquiry I turn to the wisest in all the land, Sir Wiki.

Sir Wiki posted:

Twelve people compete in a reality competition that takes place against the backdrop of a high fantasy setting, the kingdom of Everealm. While the ongoing storyline is scripted and the contestants are interacting with actors throughout the competition, the actual challenges and eliminations are genuine and determined by the contestants' abilities and decisions.

Basically imagine Amazing Race-style challenges interspersed with renaissance faire/dinner-murder mystery sthlock.

So with that all said, what's it like to actually watch it? As you might imagine, awkward as hell... yet toeing that line between "cringe-worthy" and "strangely fascinating". As weird as it all sounds (and trust me, even more so live), it's not entirely unfathomable that someone would decide to put this together. Game of Thrones is serious water-cooler business, Tolkien moves are making massive bank again after first doing so over a decade ago, and... look, if TBS can have loving King of the Nerds, ABC can have their own left-field show.

If you're looking to actually get caught up on this, you can do so via the official site or Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah this show has an odd charm that I can't put my finger on, normally this is the exact kind of show I would hate but there's just a special kind of sincerity to it all, like they know they're working one tiny step above Medieval Times dinner theater but dammit they're going to make the best of it.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
hahaha how did I loving miss this? Going to watch these first couple episodes right loving now

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Yeah, at least so far, the contestants are walking the weird line of being committed to the premise but not going all-out awkward. Unlike most reality shows, this one doesn't actually pretend to be unscripted since being mostly scripted is kind of the point. I wince every now and again, but I'm enjoying it.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Can't wait for Shando to make an orc tap-out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I find myself asking all the questions you shouldn't ask.

Where are they filming? Where did that castle come from? Do these actors expect ever to have careers after this?

It's kind of a fascinating mix of Big Brother and The Elder Scrolls. Which pasty rear end freak is the true Dragonborn? Stay tuned!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Also, I thought it would be cool if ousted folks entrusted their piece of the Sunspear (lol Game of Thrones) to another paladin, giving them some kind of slight-yet-noticeable advantage. Like garnets in The Genius. I was expecting that to happen until it didn't.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

Where are they filming? Where did that castle come from? Do these actors expect ever to have careers after this?

Some former castle in Austria.

As for the third question, well... at least the end of the second episode was something. :v:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That was the dorkiest thing I've seen in a long time. It was also mildly entertaining, but I don't think I'll be back for more.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

blue squares posted:

That was the dorkiest thing I've seen in a long time. It was also mildly entertaining, but I don't think I'll be back for more.

I thought that after the first episode too, but I watched the second and found something kind of "cool" about these people being so into this world they are in. There hasn't been any talk of a prize (meaning $$$) for the winner, although there may be, but over all these people are really into this as far as I can tell. I am going to keep with it.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
It's interesting to see such a big budget competitive reality show. Usually the whole point is it's cheap to make, but the sets on this, the extras, the monsters... must cost something.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Holy poo poo this show is awesome. :D

I love the concept and the contestants are great so far. Jasmine is adorable.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's interesting to see such a big budget competitive reality show. Usually the whole point is it's cheap to make, but the sets on this, the extras, the monsters... must cost something.

They are filming in Austria using a real castle as background. We have quiete a few of those in Europe so it's not that expensive to rent one for a few weeks. Most of the actors are Austrians as well, who might be cheaper than American actors, like canadians are usually cheaper. The only effect I can recall in episode two was the banishment thing at the end which is not that impressive if you watch it a few times. They use heavy slow motion which nearly freezes the person walking away in place once the effect starts so that it's only an overlay and they dont have to track a lot of motion.

In my opinion they do a really bad job during the challenges because it's nearly impossible to follow them from a competition perspective, if you compared to the gold standard Survivor, which creates tension in nearly every challenge.

And Giles was better than all of those actors anyway. gently caress ABC for not giving us Whodunit 2 - Cruiseship edition.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Circutron posted:

Can't wait for Shando to make an orc tap-out.

Shando is a loving beast. He clowned everyone in that horseriding challenge.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

blue squares posted:

This first episode is so loving goofy, and I generally watch anything when it comes to fantasy stuff

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JakeP posted:

Shando is a loving beast. He clowned everyone in that horseriding challenge.

Yeah he's a natural athlete and sort of helps to be competing against a pile of nerds.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

Yeah he's a natural athlete and sort of helps to be competing against a pile of nerds.

there will be a puzzle at some point

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty much Medieval times the reality show all the way down to the overacting.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Once they're enough episodes deep I want contestants to actually start believing it's all real.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Once they're enough episodes deep I want contestants to actually start believing it's all real.

I think there are a couple that already do. Check out Bonnie's reaction when the queen gets poisoned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My favorite part is how some of the contestants are trying to be in character a bit with their phrasing and everything, and Shondo is just talking about his swag all the time.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
I finally saw the first couple of episodes over the weekend and couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. It's so corny, yeah, but it's also so satisfying for some reason. I can identify with the personalities and backgrounds of most of the contestants, so I found myself being outright happy and excited for them to get to be a part of something so cool/geeky.

You've got to figure it's both incredibly awkward and challenging for the actors, because they have to be able to ad-lib quite a bit when one of the contestants (or other actors, for that matter) says or does something unscripted. There was a funny little moment during the horse challenge where Ansgar and the Vizier had what seemed to be an off-script moment, and also when Queen Ralia questioned being called "my lady".

I wonder what kinds of rules and directions the contestants were given ahead of time that keeps them from getting too far off-script? I'd really like to know a lot of the behind-the-scenes details of this show, but I wonder how much of that will eventually come out. If there's any chance for subsequent seasons, the producers may hold the contestants to NDAs to keep from influencing future participants.

I haven't heard about ratings, but I noticed only about 13,000 people have liked The Quest on Facebook. That probably doesn't bode well for the show's popularity. Regardless, I'll still watch the whole season. This is great fun nerdy/geeky/dorky stuff. :D

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Sith Happens posted:

I wonder what kinds of rules and directions the contestants were given ahead of time that keeps them from getting too far off-script? I'd really like to know a lot of the behind-the-scenes details of this show, but I wonder how much of that will eventually come out. If there's any chance for subsequent seasons, the producers may hold the contestants to NDAs to keep from influencing future participants.

I haven't heard about ratings, but I noticed only about 13,000 people have liked The Quest on Facebook. That probably doesn't bode well for the show's popularity. Regardless, I'll still watch the whole season. This is great fun nerdy/geeky/dorky stuff. :D

Yeah I want to know the behind the scenes stuff too. The ratings aren't great, I hope that the don't cut it before the season is over.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ansgar is pretty much the best palace character seeing how he's good at making the contestants weep and the flip side feel good after doing well.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Save the Queen

The Paladins rely on physical stamina, intelligence and resourcefulness to save the queen.

Getting this up early cause I forgot I have work tonight. :argh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

iastudent posted:

Save the Queen

The Paladins rely on physical stamina, intelligence and resourcefulness to save the queen.

Getting this up early cause I forgot I have work tonight. :argh:

From the preview looks like they basically have to do a RPG fetch quest.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

"Paladins! The Queen has been poisoned! Quickly, we need you to fetch fifteen bear-asses so that the Vizier can concoct an antidote!"

... I am disproportionately pumped for this episode. :neckbeard:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uh, it's supposed to be night time.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

She wrote a song! I love these dorks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha, Christian is in a team full of cosplayers and fantasy nerds and he's still the most useless.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Are they making them build the sets themselves?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Finally, some drat swordfighting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Haha, Christian is in a team full of cosplayers and fantasy nerds and he's still the most useless.

I wondered how he even the survived the first episodes seeing how he always freaks out during the challenges.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
N'thing everyone who said it's corny as poo poo, but I love it regardless. I hope it makes it a full season, if for no other reason than to see how much bigger of a douchewhistle the Vizier turns out to be.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
This show is a lot of fun, a good spiritual successor to Whodunnit. Bonnie writing and singing the song was amazing, and those loving nerds pounding the table after she sang it was even better.

I read somewhere that there is no prize for the winner, which is kind of interesting. It really minimizes the reasons to keep the weak and vote off the threats, which could make this show pretty unique. Although it also makes it even more baffling why Christian is still around.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Where are they filming?

iastudent posted:

Some former castle in Austria.

GaussianCopula posted:

They are filming in Austria using a real castle as background.

Actually, they're filming in Everealm. :colbert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I laughed like crazy after Bonnie said that line about running being the devil to her.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

njbeachbum posted:

Are they making them build the sets themselves?

They are really good at immersing the contestants into their roles. :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mancalamania posted:

I read somewhere that there is no prize for the winner, which is kind of interesting. It really minimizes the reasons to keep the weak and vote off the threats, which could make this show pretty unique. Although it also makes it even more baffling why Christian is still around.

My only theory for keeping him around is for the RPG cliche such as first guy who gets to open trapped treasure chest or be first in line for exploring the angry ogre cave.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

etalian posted:

I laughed like crazy after Bonnie said that line about running being the devil to her.

I wish she and Christian would stop sucking so much at challenges, they buy into this dumb show so hard they're the most entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for making the thread, I didn't think many others were interested in this live-action AD&D module. But I'm really enjoying it and with both Game of Thrones and King of the Nerds on hiatus it's a great little fill-in.
The production values are pretty high for the first go-round of a new reality show.

IRQ posted:

I wish she and Christian would stop sucking so much at challenges, they buy into this dumb show so hard they're the most entertaining.

It's strange to have an adventuring party in which they're all paladins. She's obviously a bard (singing improves party morale), and Christian a rogue with minimal dex but high charisma.

Also strange are the medals they receive for being best at each week's challenge. There should be a reward of some kind - either inside the game (a clue, or advantage in the next contest) or some real money.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 17, 2014

• Locked thread