Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

IRQ posted:

I wish she and Christian would stop sucking so much at challenges, they buy into this dumb show so hard they're the most entertaining.

Christian is fun to watch since he has a strange mixture of overconfidence and also loving things up in every challenge.

Like how for the door challenge he was the only contestant to lose his key for the first part of the challenge or not hitting a single target in the physical challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Battle Dome

The Paladins prepare for war.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I want Christian or one of the other Paladins to go the vizier, tell him "I know you are an agent of Verlox: THE DARKNESS, let me in on that deal and I give you my part of the sunspear, which will ensure the dominion of Verlox: The Darkness".

Alternativly just hide your Sunspear part really well and tell them if you are in danger at a banishment "if you banish me you will never find my part of the sunspear"-

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

NOW we're getting medieval. :black101:

e: Swerve!

iastudent fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 22, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
If Everealm is about to be attacked why banish a paladin simply for a sub-par performance? Why not send them to the battlefront? :black101:

That was a fun challenge to watch, I figured Shondo was a lock to win it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Shrek is loose, this is not a drill!

So, siege weapon challenge next week? Looks intriguing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

If Everealm is about to be attacked why banish a paladin simply for a sub-par performance? Why not send them to the battlefront? :black101:

It's takes place in everealm not russia

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

This week was an utter failure. Not only did Christian not have to face the Fates for his fourth week in a row... but Shondo has still yet to benchpress an orc. C'mon, The Quest. You know drat well where this is going, so stop being such a tease about it! :mad:

On a more serious note, I find myself genuinely enjoying the show more with each passing episode so far. The Battle Dome was an absolutely great competition to watch, made even better by both Andrew and Shondo getting bounced the gently caress out by Leticia. The twist itself was pretty great too, and managed to prevent the competition from cementing those alliances. If they'd have played it straight, I'm pretty sure that the teams would've stuck, so it's good that they flipped the table.

Going forward, I do hope that they start to break up this pattern and play with expectations a bit so it's not just thirty or so minutes of training, followed by a somber walk to Tribal Council the Chamber of Fates and then a big twist at the end that leads into next week's first thirty minutes of training. Since there's no prize at the end, there's no real need for such a fair, formulaic structure... Maybe make the paladins think that they can actually 'lose' outside of the chamber. Even if it's just an illusion of risk. But that's purely wishful thinking, so I'm in it for the long-haul regardless!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Real chainmail and metal helmets for all the players!
Loved the demo of sparring going on between the Queens Guard or whoever they were.

I also like how the Fates speak in turns like a 90s rap group.

etalian posted:

It's takes place in everealm not russia
Everealm is in Austria, which was occupied by the USSR after WW2 for a short time. :science:

Generic American posted:

Going forward, I do hope that they start to break up this pattern and play with expectations a bit so it's not just thirty or so minutes of training, followed by a somber walk to Tribal Council the Chamber of Fates and then a big twist at the end that leads into next week's first thirty minutes of training. Since there's no prize at the end, there's no real need for such a fair, formulaic structure... Maybe make the paladins think that they can actually 'lose' outside of the chamber. Even if it's just an illusion of risk. But that's purely wishful thinking, so I'm in it for the long-haul regardless!
Yes, it will be nice when/if the training sessions are over and the challenges are included within the progress of the storyline.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Under Siege; A Traitor in Saenctum

Castle Saenctum is threatened by an enemy attack on the outer walls; a spy infiltrates Castle Saenctum.

Also the listings say tonight's episode is 2 hours long. :stare:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

iastudent posted:

Under Siege; A Traitor in Saenctum

Castle Saenctum is threatened by an enemy attack on the outer walls; a spy infiltrates Castle Saenctum.

Also the listings say tonight's episode is 2 hours long. :stare:

We will have double episodes for the last 3 weeks of the show. Probably to burn them off before the regular fall season starts.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

We will have double episodes for the last 3 weeks of the show. Probably to burn them off before the regular fall season starts.

That explains the semicolon in the title. :v:

OTOH, the ratings haven't been too kind for this show. :(

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

iastudent posted:

To be fair the show is not that good. I feel like the challenges are really uninspired and the should have put more money into them instead of the worldbuilding aspect/special effects. The fate's challenges in particular are just are just so boring. We had "grind stuff at a table", "hammer stuff at a table", "sword battingcage" and "bow and arrow" none of which had an interesting twist.

The same goes for the main challenges. While the first one was okay (camera work was pretty bad, you had no idea which teams was in the lead) the other 3 were just uninspired. The horse challenge was just boring and undramatic, the "battledome" was terrible because people would just hand on the wall and the weapons were ineffective (best tactic: throw away your sword and bullrush with the shield) and the door challenge was again kinda boring.

I dont expect them challenges to have challenges on par with survivor but in my opinion they are worse than King of the Nerds. It's clearly inspired by the setup of Amazing Race, which works on TAR because it has a completly different dynamic (pairs, not everyone starting at the same time, choice between challenges or people that are doing them).

I'd rather see a second season of whodunnit.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

More Visier being a dick, please.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Christian is so bad at everything, he must be a plant.

iastudent posted:

That explains the semicolon in the title. :v:

I think even if it was a hit they would be doing doubles to close.

If they did 1 a week it would be going well passed the fall returns.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 29, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Yeah, this show is pretty bad. It could use some better challenges.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Getting burned trying to play Survivor on a show with a bunch of nerds taking the True Hero premise super seriously is perfect.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Got some Raiders of the Lost Ark going on in this Fates challenge.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

GaussianCopula posted:

To be fair the show is not that good. I feel like the challenges are really uninspired and the should have put more money into them instead of the worldbuilding aspect/special effects. The fate's challenges in particular are just are just so boring. We had "grind stuff at a table", "hammer stuff at a table", "sword battingcage" and "bow and arrow" none of which had an interesting twist.

The problem with the Fates challenges is that the drama is diffused and they're almost meaningless. 3 people up for elimination and after the challenge, one is exempted. So why even bother? Just have the bottom 2 up for elimination, and one winner.
Then they have the team vote, which is edited in an un-dramatic way with everyone calmly sitting around discussing the situation but no big moments of "this person must go!", and then the slow-motion voting process.

But I really like this show and the way the challenges are integrated into the pre-set storyline; it just needs a second season and some fine-tuning. And I don't know where they found Bonnie but they must keep that bard in the campaign.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

The problem with the Fates challenges is that the drama is diffused and they're almost meaningless. 3 people up for elimination and after the challenge, one is exempted. So why even bother? Just have the bottom 2 up for elimination, and one winner.
Then they have the team vote, which is edited in an un-dramatic way with everyone calmly sitting around discussing the situation but no big moments of "this person must go!", and then the slow-motion voting process.

But I really like this show and the way the challenges are integrated into the pre-set storyline; it just needs a second season and some fine-tuning. And I don't know where they found Bonnie but they must keep that bard in the campaign.

Bonnie is ye old loving rockstar! I love her and I love that all these dorks are so into it!

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
I marathoned all of the available episodes the other day and am enjoying the hell out of this. :3: And that's saying something since I stopped following reality shows a few years ago.

However, I think they should've just not bothered with the competition/elimination parts of the show. As others have pointed out, there seems to be no prize other than e-peen from "winning" the railroaded LARP, the challenges themselves aren't that great (I always lose interest when the Fates challenges start), and none of the paladins seem all that gung-ho to do the usual "gently caress ALL Y'ALL I'M GONNA FORM ALLIANCES AND BACKSTAB EVERYONE" stuff that I can tell they're trying to get them to do. (Plus, the "we're here to save these people" plot point kind of makes anyone who does that just look like a massive douche.) I say just dump a bunch of nerds into the big budget televised LARP, let them be a little more proactive when interacting with the characters and plot, and maybe give them a pool of cash at the end depending on how well they do in some challenges like Road Rules did to make it more worth their effort.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This is the greatest show on tv.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I forgot this was on tonight. Having to work too didn't help. :(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I was actually following this before it aired, but I didn't got a chance to watch it until now. I'm glad Shando ended up being as badass as I expected. If I were to cast an American Running Man show I would put in as the Kim Jong-Kook role.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Interesting writeup on The Quest, and how ABC has basically just left it to wither on the vine despite critical praise:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/the-quest-and-abcs-summer-reality-problem

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think the challenges on the show are pretty good, there's a nice mix of different skills required and they usually fit into the plot some way. The thing that keeps the show from being great though, for me, is that you can tell how awesome it would be to be in that world as one of the contestants, but as a viewer it's just a fun hokey fantasy setting, so you need something more... and there's not really any strategy or alliances or any of that going on to fill in that gap. ...So you're just kind of passively along for the ride. I've had some people I liked more than others I guess, but we don't really know them well enough to seriously care.

I guess last episode had the first real game "move" outside of Christian possibly trying to lose, which would be Patrick blatantly lying saying that Bonnie would have beaten the other girl (Lina?). That other girl almost beat Patrick, and basically beat Bonnie twice despite Patrick helping Bonnie out. Bonnie would have never finished. She was cool how into it she was and how she sang songs and poo poo but yeah she just couldn't cut it physically. I wonder if Patrick's lie will come back up now that Lina survived; based on the type of show it's been so far I doubt it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Adnachiel posted:

I marathoned all of the available episodes the other day and am enjoying the hell out of this. :3: And that's saying something since I stopped following reality shows a few years ago.

However, I think they should've just not bothered with the competition/elimination parts of the show. As others have pointed out, there seems to be no prize other than e-peen from "winning" the railroaded LARP, the challenges themselves aren't that great (I always lose interest when the Fates challenges start), and none of the paladins seem all that gung-ho to do the usual "gently caress ALL Y'ALL I'M GONNA FORM ALLIANCES AND BACKSTAB EVERYONE" stuff that I can tell they're trying to get them to do. (Plus, the "we're here to save these people" plot point kind of makes anyone who does that just look like a massive douche.) I say just dump a bunch of nerds into the big budget televised LARP, let them be a little more proactive when interacting with the characters and plot, and maybe give them a pool of cash at the end depending on how well they do in some challenges like Road Rules did to make it more worth their effort.
Now that I think about it, I may agree with this. The problem with the reality competition side of this isn't the challenges, it's that there's nothing interesting going on in that half of the game. If everything is aimed at having true knights and defeating the monster, and the contestants follow that, the game will be boring from that end, so then why are you doing all these challenges instead of just telling a better story...,

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
I suspect that that was the original plan when the show was pitched, and someone at the network flipped out and made them put the challenges in because "no one will watch if there's no eliminations". The competition part of the show just feels... off compared to everything else going on to me.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Adnachiel posted:

However, I think they should've just not bothered with the competition/elimination parts of the show. As others have pointed out, there seems to be no prize other than e-peen from "winning" the railroaded LARP,

I can't imagine that there's really no prize at the end besides Nerd Cred for winning the biggest budget LARP ever. They'll do a cheesy victory thing for the winner, and I expect them to get presented with some gaudy prop from the treasury, which is worth X amount of dollars in "the other world."

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
When they practice sword fight are they using 'real' swords? I mean, someone could get a nasty cut!

I assume they were trained by stuntmen, as one normally holds a sword up, and the other one hits it, but still.

Or are they plastic/super dull and they foley in the 'clang' sounds?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Escape From Rana Village; One True Hero

The Paladins are taken prisoner in the Season 1 finale. Later, a champion is crowned.

End of the line, folks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I guess we'll finally get to see if there was something more to winning this than the ultimate LARP nerd cred.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I've tried to start watching this. But in the first half hour we already get the "it's in the prophecy!", and "you're the chosen ones!", and those lame cliched poor substitutes for plot just make me roll my eyes, whether it's Star Wars, BSG, or whatever.

Does it get any better?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The plot isn't the reason to watch it. You need to watch long enough to see the goobers in it totally buy into the incredibly dumb and generic plot. That's where the real fun of this show is.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Well, I loved _Who Wants to be a Superhero?_, which seems similar in concept (though it took itself a lot less seriously).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This show takes itself so seriously that that becomes the fun of it - between the contestants totally buying into it, and the Medieval Times/Ren Fair quality acting* and writing it has a certain charm to how dumb it is.

* The constant slips from ye olde tymes accents into their native austrian accents gets me every time.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Shando never stop being Shando.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

iastudent posted:

Shando never stop being Shando.

Gotta get the dubs, avenge the loss of Jimbo Slice, listen for hollas from scouts.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This last ep is great, this is how it should have been after the first 2 or 3 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Seriously, I almost feel embarrassed by how much I'm enjoying this finale... But I don't care how schlocky the show is, bringing all of the paladins back in that Big drat Hero moment made me grin from ear to ear. :neckbeard:

• Locked thread