Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I would be okay with this getting a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The ratings say the odds of season 2 are between "none" and "lol", particularly after ABC punted on marketing it, but I still wish it would happen.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

As much as I wanted to hate this show me and my girlfriend loved it.

I'm sad my main man Shando did not take home the SunSpear.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Beer_Suitcase posted:

As much as I wanted to hate this show me and my girlfriend loved it.

I'm sad my main man Shando did not take home the SunSpear.

In some ways Shondo's story and character arc were better than if he had cruised to victory. Also he had some great lines, not just "the dubs" but when they were squatting in the woods, telling Lina "I love what you've done with this place, the contemporary furniture is to die for".

I think the big mistake production made was in not filming a second season immediately after the first, while they still had all the locations, equipment and NPCs available and set up.

Such a shame that just like Whodunnit there will only be one season, while the trainwreck Big Brother rolls along, boring and aggravating even its own hardcore fans.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 12, 2014

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I'd like to see another season, but they should make a live-action MMORPG.

Show players collecting 10 bear-asses, leveling up, getting groups to kill bosses in dungeons.

I just think it would be hilarious.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012
That cliffhanger ending is never going to go anywhere... :smith:

But aside from that, the finale was fun to watch. I love how they brought everyone back at the end. Even if they were eliminated, no one got to be left out of the final battle. Everyone won in a way. :3: So much more satisfying than a reunion show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I haven't seen it yet, but was there a prize for the winner?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

IRQ posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but was there a prize for the winner?

Maybe they get to keep the Sunspear.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Geek Initiative did a whole interview series with the actors and contestants for the show.

Some really interesting stuff in there.. like how the actors never broke character in front of the contestants and about 80% of what they did was improv.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

That's pretty cool that one guy played all the main monsters.

E: Speaking of - https://twitter.com/DouglasTait/status/510668671510138881

iastudent fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 13, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

macnbc posted:

Geek Initiative did a whole interview series with the actors and contestants for the show.

Some really interesting stuff in there.. like how the actors never broke character in front of the contestants and about 80% of what they did was improv.

Ha those interview are pretty hilarious, I liked the bit how Shando stayed up whole night doing pushups after seeing Verlox for the first time.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

etalian posted:

Ha those interview are pretty hilarious, I liked the bit how Shando stayed up whole night doing pushups after seeing Verlox for the first time.

The Verlox dude said he accidently crossed paths with one of the players in the bathroom while in full make up, and scared the poo poo out of the guy.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Shondo is the real one true hero. Clearly the evil vizir and Verlox: the darkness used dark magic to help Lina win.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Mylan posted:

The Verlox dude said he accidently crossed paths with one of the players in the bathroom while in full make up, and scared the poo poo out of the guy.

I hope he said: [Satan voice] even The Darkness has to pee.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
This show is so bad, so why can't I stop watching it? :psyduck:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

WarLocke posted:

This show is so bad, so why can't I stop watching it? :psyduck:

Others have pointed this out but it bears repeating: People had the times of their lives making this show and you can feel that happiness seep through your TV as you watch it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

Others have pointed this out but it bears repeating: People had the times of their lives making this show and you can feel that happiness seep through your TV as you watch it.

Yeah, I know, you can tell. I'm not really a reality TV fan and all the lovely 'alliance talk' and 'oh hey I'm a special snowflake make me popular so I won't be voted off' crap gets under my skin, but the presentation and the way people get into it really just works. Now if only they would just have the Furies banish whoever did worst that week, none of this 'I promised Andrew I'd back him up' or whatever bullshit. :sigh:

And now I want to see a show that starts off with a premise similar to this, only halfway through the contestants find out it's all real. :unsmigghh: I don't know if you could really do a proper scripted show but make it feel like reality TV though.

Also Shondo punked out in the first episode and should have run back to save that dude from the ogre. :colbert:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
My only problem with the show is that the "story" they told was very vanillla. I'm not expecting GoT style twists and turns but the characters straight out of a "adventure by the numbers" guide. The evil vizir, the harsh warrior/drillmaster with a heart of gold, the craven believer.

And why did they start each episode with a behind the scenes interview with the producers?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

GaussianCopula posted:

And why did they start each episode with a behind the scenes interview with the producers?

My guess is that ABC got cold feet on the show and thought viewers would be too stupid to figure out what's going on without it. S'also why their marketing and scheduling for the show was so muted after its initial announcement.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

macnbc posted:

My guess is that ABC got cold feet on the show and thought viewers would be too stupid to figure out what's going on without it. S'also why their marketing and scheduling for the show was so muted after its initial announcement.

I had no idea what the show was, based on the commercials I saw a couple times, until some goon posted about it in another thread. So having the explanation at the beginning wasn't really a bad idea.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Greatest series finale of all time.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

My only problem with the show is that the "story" they told was very vanillla. I'm not expecting GoT style twists and turns but the characters straight out of a "adventure by the numbers" guide. The evil vizir, the harsh warrior/drillmaster with a heart of gold, the craven believer.

I won't argue that the plot wasn't cliche to hell, but it does have to be something the viewing audience is able to follow (as well as the contestants themselves). They could probably be a bit more original, but push that too far and you get Shondo or Andrew just going off the reservation because they're totally lost.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I actually thought the plot was going to be twister than it turned out to be - that the Vizier was going to be a good guy who was just skeptical about the prophecy, that Crio was working with Verlox, that Sir Ansgar was going to be brainwashed into turning evil after being captured. That last one would have forced the contestants to make an interesting moral choice at the climax - should they try to turn him back to the light and risk him wreaking more havoc if they should fail, or should they kill their beloved mentor to save the kingdom? But I guess that they felt that they had to telegraph things so that the contestants (and the viewers) wouldn't be confused.

The main thing that bugs me about the show is that the one guy with a non-Western job title in this Western fantasy is a vile traitor. Why couldn't the Vizier be the Minister or the Steward or the Viceroy instead? I'm fairly certain that they didn't mean to imply that Middle Easterners are evil and Europeans are good, but they do seem to be doing that!

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Pththya-lyi posted:

The main thing that bugs me about the show is that the one guy with a non-Western job title in this Western fantasy is a vile traitor. Why couldn't the Vizier be the Minister or the Steward or the Viceroy instead? I'm fairly certain that they didn't mean to imply that Middle Easterners are evil and Europeans are good, but they do seem to be doing that!

Viziers are always evil. Didn't you watch Aladdin?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Generic American posted:

Seriously, I almost feel embarrassed by how much I'm enjoying this finale... But I don't care how schlocky the show is, bringing all of the paladins back in that Big drat Hero moment made me grin from ear to ear. :neckbeard:

DarklyDreaming posted:

These comments sum up my reaction to the finale and show as a whole. My wife and I really enjoyed watching because we could just imagine how much fun the contestants were having getting dumped into a situation they had likely fantasized about their whole lives. Having all the paladins come back at the end to fight in the battle was a masterstroke that drove the fun factor off the charts.

It's a shame we probably won't get more of this show, but it was good fun while it lasted.

I honestly thought that by now, one of the paladins would have made an appearance in this thread to reveal they've been a goon for years.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

TheChad posted:

Viziers are always evil. Didn't you watch Aladdin?

The residents of Castle Saectum didn't see that movie - they couldn't accept that the Vizier was a traitor, even when the paladins were all going "HE'S TOTALLY EVIL YOU GUYS." :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
This show is a special fun kind of hokey that's strangely addictive. Haven't caught up completely yet but I would watch a second season, based on what I've seen so far.

• Locked thread