Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GilliamYaeger posted:

Without Gilliam's fabulous hair care products, how could he possibly have grown that mullet?

See? I knew it would be true :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Are you telling me the shifty looking, sneaky spy-guy with the fabulous hair has a dark past? Say it isn't so!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ashram posted:

Are you telling me the shifty looking, sneaky spy-guy with the fabulous hair has a dark past? Say it isn't so!

Oh, come on. It's a SRW OG game, anyone who isn't explicitly a SCREAMING HOT BLOOD SHOUNEN HERO (hi Kyosuke, Ryusei, Sanger) or blatant T&A fanservice (most of the females admittedly, also Sanger) shifty-looking as gently caress.

Just because 80% of them also have dark, plot-important pasts doesn't mean the other 20% do.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ryusei even has a dark past via transference from his hot mom.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Wonder if they're setting up Charlie Chaplin to win third place in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Section Z posted:

I know nothing about the plot of these games, but it's clear what is happening here.

This whole interdimensional war was started because when Gilliam left, he took his superior hair care secrets with him.

Now, the Shadow Mirrors cause wars to "jump start technological growth", hoping to reach a point science can make their hair just as fabulous.

but the Shadow Mirrors are already pretty high-up on the fabulous hair tier list!

the three of them are probably the most fashionable of OG villains come to think of it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gyra_Solune posted:

but the Shadow Mirrors are already pretty high-up on the fabulous hair tier list!

the three of them are probably the most fashionable of OG villains come to think of it

But without Gilliam's secrets, for HOW LONG!?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I'd like to say I've been spending my time playing WoW instead of working on the LP, but I've actually been doing 12-hour shifts at work. Meh. Updates coming up in the next day or two.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
I don't know how long a thread can be "silent" but let's not risk anything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ashram posted:

I don't know how long a thread can be "silent" but let's not risk anything.

I was considering doing the same thing. But I was hoping it was an actual update and I am now sad it was not.

I am guessing Seyser is just busy however.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 24, 2016

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
So that ended up taking a little longer than I thought. Where were we again?

Oh, right. Hair.

Gilliam: "Colonel Vindel Mauser of the Shadow Mirrors... do you read me?"
Vindel: "Who are you?"
Gilliam: "You would know me as... Helios."
Vindel: :pwn:

Lemon: "It can't be... is he telling the truth!?"
Axel: "Don't know about the face, but that's definitely his voice. It's him."
Lamia: (This could be my chance... but, should I see what develops here?)

Vindel: "Heh. Heheheh... it has been some time, Helios... Helios Olympus. Is that your real face?"
Gilliam: "....."
Sanger: (...Helios Olympus?)
Ratsel: (Is he talking to Gilliam?)

Gilliam: "Colonel Mauser... we cross paths again."
Vindel: "Yes... since you left System XN behind you. Then this confirms it; you were the First Jumper through the Door of Aguieus?"
Lemon: "We've been looking all over for you, you know."
Gilliam: "And I for you."

Vindel: "What gave us away?"
Gilliam: "When I first learned that the Soulgain had appeared on this side... well, no. It was the moment you first came to me at Tesla Reich."
Lemon: "Oh? From the very beginning?"
Gilliam: "When I first proposed the idea of System XN at Tesla, the first group to take an interest was not the Divine Crusaders... but the Shadow Mirrors."
Vindel: "And that aroused your suspicion?"
Gilliam: "I've realized my mistake. System XN is beyond your ability to control. Even with its limiters in place, if it's carelessly used, it could tear the very fabric of reality asunder."

Gilliam: "The doors of Aguieus and Lykeios must never be reopened."
Lemon: "Mhm... you might be right. You certainly tore enough things asunder on your way over to this side."
Lemon: "And cost us the lives of many comrades..."
Axel: "....."

Gilliam: "System XN should not exist in this world. Nor should you."
Lamia: "....."
Vindel: "Hmph. Easy enough for you to say."
Gilliam: "That's is why I've waited here, in this world. To erase every trace of System XN, and those who would abuse it."

Vindel: "But now you will do as we say, Helios."
Gilliam: "No."
Vindel: "I didn't say you would do it willingly."
Ratsel: "Here they come..."

Axel: "...This is a stroke of luck. We can settle everything, right here."
Lamia: "Perhaps it's my luck that has turned. Their arrival will turn the tables."
Axel: "Boldly said... you've developed quite a mouth, W17."

Ratsel: "That woman..."
Sanger: "She's one of Kyosuke's subordinates. But..."

Gilliam: "You're a W-Series... are you our ally?"
Lamia: "That's your decision. My enemies are the Shadow Mirrors... if yours are the same, I will fight with you."

Gilliam: "Obliged. Sanger, Ratsel, any objections?"
Sanger: "None."
Ratsel: "We'll let your actions speak for you."
Lamia: "...Thank you."

Axel: "You're soft... you, and your new Aggressor friends. You're not what our world needs. People like you just upset the balance."
Lamia: "Shaping the world after your own wishes... So long as I had my directives to follow, I never tried to understand what interfering in this way would mean."
Axel: "...So, what do you plan to do? Put an end to all conflict? Bring about world peace? Is that your dream, W17?"

Vindel: "...Nothing has ever been created in the name of peace. Peace is a poison within the world. It erases the struggle of the soldiers... our brethren. It denies that we existed."
Lamia: "...That's just a convenient excuse for those who want to fight, Master Vindel."
Vindel: "What... did you say?"
Lamia: "To those who don't want to fight, those who fight against their will, desiring a world at peace... does not seem irregular at all."
Vindel: "You wretched doll!"

:eng101: In the original Lamia just responds that Vindel doesn't understand, completely missing one of her best :iceburn: moments in the game.

Lemon: "W17... do you understand what you're saying? When Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the tree of forbidden knowledge, they were expelled from Paradise. They could never go back."
Lamia: "I know the story. I will walk until I find my own paradise."

And with the arrival of the Aggressors, we have our battle mastery: eliminate at least 15 enemies by the end of turn 6 (with it being turn 3 right now). Even though that's most of the enemies on the field, it should be pretty simple, provided we don't slip up and get somebody killed. On our side we have Sanger and Ratsel in their familiar Grungust and Huckebein...

...but of course, the star of the show here is Gilliam's brand new (and new for the remake) mech, the Gespenst Type-RV. It's sleek, it's sexy, and it's absolutely bristling with weaponry - although most of that is conventional rifles and missiles (and two plasma swords, for some reason). At the top end of the arsenal are the more interesting toys: the Mega Buster Cannon, its ALL attack and main finisher...

...and the Vampire Laser, a low-cost, decently-damaging weapon that actually drains the target's energy on each hit (although this Fylgia is far from an ideal target for showing it off). This is huge, because your other energy-draining option is a missile that can be fired only twice before you need to reload. An energy-based weapon that can be fired over and over is a very different story.

The Shadow Mirror troops will continue to block or evade for the remainder of the turn (still obeying Axel's orders not to join in the fight), so I focus on moving people over towards the building where Lamia's standing. Once the enemy phase rolls around, everybody opens fire at once.

I have no idea how the Trilobite's laser changes direction in mid-air. Maybe it's launching a bunch of tiny Shin Getter-1s and they're all doing Shine Spark. (Also gets a surprisingly high hitrate, but with the Vysaga's After-Image it's not a problem.)

Ratsel and Gilliam are in no real danger of being hit, so they can run-and-gun their way over without incident.

Sanger is in a bit more trouble, and we'll be relying on the base structures' HP regen to keep him going.

Like any proper ninja, the Vysaga has a supply of kunai to fling at enemies. :ninja: It's the mech's weakest attack, and its only ALL attack, but that's clearly not holding Lamia back.

And in case the enemy has too much health, she has plenty of sword tricks still to show off. (Or even when the enemy doesn't have too much health. Overkill is best kill.)

Not to be outdone, Gilliam whips out the big gun.

It's bigger and bluer than the original Gespenst-R's neutron beam.

But still did this on its first outing. :sigh: The Vampire Laser is kind of the show-stealer on the RV, and it won't really be able to shine this mission.

But at length, the group smites, cleaves, shoots, and nin-nins its way over to the HQ building, which allows them to make short work of the Shadow Mirror grunts in a couple turns.

:toot:

The unexpected arrival of the Aggressors has thrown a wrench into Vindel's plans; if they're delayed here any longer, the Federation troops will catch them. After confirming with Lee that the Shirogane is resupplied, Vindel makes his decision: deploy more mechs to delay the enemy, then use System XN to teleport away (Lemon's warning about the incomplete repairs notwithstanding). It's regrettable that they have to leave when the system's core is finally within their grasp, but the risk of sustaining further damage is too great. They won't have control over the jump's destination, so Vindel orders Axel to stay behind as insurance - with a warning from Lemon that Beowulf will no doubt be along soon.

Axel: "You don't have to warn me of that. I'll get in touch with you when I'm done here."
Lemon: "OK. Be careful."

Gilliam: "Wait!"
Lemon: "We'll see you again soon, First Jumper... Helios Olympus."
Vindel: "When we meet again, we will be operating at full capacity."

The Shirogane teleports away, and Ratsel is unable to track its departure.

Gilliam: "drat it, we were so close! Do you people realize what's at stake here?"

Axel: "Huh? Explain yourself, Helios."
Gilliam: "You must have realized it by now."
Axel: "?"

Gilliam: "Even flooded with foreign matter, miraculously, this world remains in balance."
Axel: "What...?"
Gilliam: "By all rights it should have torn itself apart. Yet here we are."
Axel: "Then why hasn't it?"
Gilliam: "Because... something wills it not to."
Axel: "Something... wills it?"
Gilliam: "This world is like a flask, in the laboratory of a higher power. And when they have the results of their experiment, we will all be..."

Axel: "So, what? Stop interfering? You think you can step in now and say that? If you're as worried about this as you claim, why didn't you take your own advice, First Jumper? You're an outcast yourself, Helios Olympus!"
Gilliam: "I... know that."
Axel: "Even if what you say is right, and somebody designed this world and guided us here, I'm going to keep fighting for the world I believe in. And if that leads to this world being destroyed... then it'll be destroyed on our terms."

Sanger: "Then there is nothing more to discuss. We also fight for our beliefs... we fight that the world might live!"
Axel: "Good. This is war... right and wrong just come down to who wins and who loses. So I have to win!"

Axel: "Limiters, release! Soulgain, show me your true power!"
Axel casts Valor.
Sanger: "I will give no quarter! Stand and fight!"
Sanger does too.

Now we've got a small army of R-Eins and Randgriths where the Shirogane used to be. We could tear through them easily enough, but the rest of the team will be arriving shortly, so we should probably save them some fun; for a turn or two we just hunker down on the building and wait.

Or that's the plan, at least.

Axel Code Kirins the crap out of Sanger (would have one-shot him if he hadn't been blocking, even with the defensive terrain).

And then other nearby enemies decide to follow suit.

So we end up needing to clear ourselves a little breathing room.

After a couple more turns, Ratsel picks up approaching contacts, moments before the Hagane and Hiryu Kai arrive.

Sanger is pleased to see Kyosuke and Excellen again, although less pleased to tell them that the Shirogane has gotten away.

The group does a collective double-take upon realizing that Lamia is alive and well.

Excellen wants to know where she's been, though Katina points out that it's obvious enough - she went back where she came from.

Lamia can't fault her for her reaction, but this time it's Ratsel who speaks up on her behalf.

Rai: "...Elzam."
Ratsel: "I'm afraid you're mistaken. My name is Ratsel Feinschmecker. I'm not your brother." :smug:
Rai: :what:

Ryusei: "...No, I'm pretty sure you can't just handwave this one."
Tasuku: "Seriously."
Ratsel: :shepface:
Rai: "Brother... you're certain of her?"

Rai just has no time for Ratsel's crap at all. :allears:

Gilliam and Sanger add their support to Ratsel's, and at length Katina backs down. ("What the hell, we've always been a bunch of softies, why should we change now?") Even though it's all water under the bridge to Excellen, she still has a lot to ask Lamia about - but there's a little matter they'll have to deal with first.

Axel: "About time you got here, Kyosuke Nanbu."
Kyosuke: "Axel Almer. I owe you some payback. And while we're at it, you can explain some of that stuff about 'power' and 'the other side' from before..."
Axel: "What does it matter? Knowing won't make any difference now."
Kyosuke: "I'm not just making conversation. You'll tell me, or I'll shoot you down."
Axel: "You're a lot more like me than the other one... if you want an explanation, you'll just have to force it out of me, Beowulf."

:eng101: References to the other Beowulf were pretty much missing from the original. Also, Katina was more resistant to Lamia rejoining the team.

Losing Kyosuke (or Lamia, or any of the Aggressors) is still a game over, but with the cavalry here, there's not much to do except mop up.

I mean, I could go into detail on all of the Boost Hammering and Shishioh Blading and Katina'ing, but you can see that in the video.

Highlights

Suffice it to say that a good time was had by all. Except for the Shadow Mirrors, who died.

No, really. The attacks all run together after a while.

also that shot of lune lunging out of the tv will never get old :byodood:

That being said, there is one thing I should probably show off.

Witness the might of... KATINA! :black101:

The might of Katina is... lacking. :flaccid:

And now she's going to get destroyed. :ohdear:

Or... IS SHE? :unsmigghh:

Let's try again, with the power of dongs swords DONGS.

<insert a doomguy image here>

Right. So. This mission won't actually end until Axel has been knocked below half health, so let's scrape Sanger's remains into a tin and

...Wait a MINUTE. Nothing happened! Where's my counterattack! Where's my imminent violent death! Where's my

:pwn:

And that's right, ladies and gentlemen. We deploy the Wildurger-L, and not five minutes later we're letting fly with Stun Shock, and

well.

Remember how Lamia was locked down a couple missions ago? Now Axel's in that position.

The Wurger-L's Stun Shock completely locks down the target. No actions, no counterattacks, no nothing. And that's where Axel is sitting now.

Completely helpless against every attack.

Really, the only bright spot for the bad guys is that some of the bosses have a Pilot Block ability that blocks it - which can be bypassed with the Fury spirit (i.e. any member of the Branstein family), so maybe it's not such a bright spot after all.

Anyway, we have to knock Axel below 50% HP to wrap up the mission, so knock him down we shall. And after a few attacks...

Axel: "Argh...! Beowulf, you---"
Kyosuke: "I take this hand, Axel!"

Lamia: "It seems your luck has run out, Captain."
Axel: "I'm not beaten yet... don't get ahead of yourself, W17. And you're not one of us anymore, so stop calling me Captain."
Lamia: "...Very well."
Kyosuke: "You've lost, Axel. The game's over."
Axel: "I haven't played all my cards yet. Have a good look, Beowulf! This is my---"

But just as Axel's getting all pumped up again, Lemon cuts in to give him their new coordinates. He immediately rounds on her for interrupting his fight, but she just reminds him that it's their fight - is he going to repeat his mistakes with Beowulf again? She adds that this isn't like him at all. Grudgingly, he stands down; before he retreats, he tells Kyosuke that they'll have to put their match on hold for now.

Kyosuke is about to pursue, but Daitetsu cuts him off; they have no idea where the Shirogane is, so they have no choice but to fall back to Izu and prepare for Operation Plantagenet. Kyosuke had hoped to settle things with Axel here - but wounding the beast will have to be enough.

Lamia: (This war... it will continue as long as the Shadow Mirrors remain in this world... and as long as I do.)

It's been a very not-fun couple of months due to work and almost dying in a stupid way. Also I fractured my thumb playing Thumper.

Next time: Lamia explains it all. Gilliam helps (a little).

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 31, 2016

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Aguieus: A name for Apollo as Guardian of the Streets.
Lykeios: A name for Apollo as the Giver of Light.

Gilliam has a theme, did you notice.

The Gespenst RV is a great upgrade over what he got in the GBA version, which I very much appreciate. Vampire Laser is nice, though it's a problem that Gilliam doesn't actually need that much EN - most of his weapons, including the finisher, run on ammo. Lack of a single-target finisher also hurts against bosses. So throwing him the Graviton Launcher isn't really a solution, sadly. But it has a great theme, and isn't that all that really matters?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Glad you are not dead.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I somehow expect Gilliam is not talking about the game devs.

Hope things get less crazy for you, and that you don't smash any more fingers or nearly die again.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Glad you are not dead.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Did you at least have a fun time playing WoW?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
At this point, who is Ratsel Feinschmecker trying to fool?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I forgot Gilliam did the "this world is like an experiment in a flask" thing here. I like how the different context paints it in a very different light, contrasting OG Gilliam from Hero Senki Gilliam.

Also, you have broken image tag: [IMG]http://lpix.org/2608607/OG2-35-198.jpg[/IMG

Nice to see you're alive and posting robots for the internet, Seyzer.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

Himself, mostly. It's an ego play - Elzam Branstein feels he can't show his face around the brother he fought and lost to, but he also can't not help his War Buddy Sanger who is very definitively working to make things right.

Thus, we get Quattro Bajeena Zechs Merquise Ratsel Feinschmechker.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Gilliam: "drat it, we were so close! Do you people realize what's at stake here?"
Axel: "Huh? Explain yourself, Helios."
Gilliam: "You must have realized it by now."
Axel: "?"

Gilliam vastly overestimates the Shadow Mirror's intellectual abilities. Either that, or he's using that phrase the way people sometimes use "With all due respect."

Also, this may be beyond the scope of this thread, but what is up with that argument, that soldiers will be forgotten and useless as people if they don't have a war to fight? It's in a couple of different stories, all from Japan, and it's such an obnoxiously asinine notion that I just have to ask where it comes from. Does it have to do with the Japanese attitude that a person is supposed to work at the same company their entire adult lives? Or is it related to Japan's pacifist constitution?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My one big gripe with this mission is that Ratsel somehow loses his Roche Saber, Photon Rifle and Remote Slasher inexplicably. And replaces them with...just a Boosted Rifle. It really does limit what he can do in the battle and given the time limit for the skill point, it's a bit frustrating.

But yes, hello Gespenst RV. You are a welcome sight here and a very good upgrade as it gives Gilliam some flexibility. While the RV will rarely gain the benefits of the Vampire Laser (unless you give it an EN guzzling weapon like the Graviton Launcher, as MarsDragon said), it does help against bosses as it can drain their EN (IIRC, it's a Lv. 1 EN Drain attack) which means less big attacks and less barrier annoyances. Plus, the ratio of boss HP to boss EN in this game is about 10:1, so that pathetic 200 or 250 EN a boss has can easily go away very fast thanks to Gilliam.

Glazius posted:

I like to believe that during that scene, Rai is inwardly thinking "Oh my loving God, how am I related to this dork? :cripes:".

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

KataraniSword posted:

Himself, mostly. It's an ego play - Elzam Branstein feels he can't show his face around the brother he fought and lost to, but he also can't not help his War Buddy Sanger who is very definitively working to make things right.

I hope at some point Elzam has a moment like Dakar where he decides to throw off the facade for a bit to make a statement.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

KataraniSword posted:

He didn't seem to have a problem hanging around Rai in the last war.

I always kind of figured it was an escape for him. He was tired of all the Branstein family stuff, but instead of flipping out and running away like Rai did he just hung on until dad died and then completely changed his identity to get away. It doesn't matter if it fools anyone else, it's just so he can let go. It's not really noticeable yet, but I always got the impression Ratsel was a lot more relaxed and had more of a sense of humor than Elzam did.

Basically, it's his midlife crisis.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Montegoraon posted:

Also, this may be beyond the scope of this thread, but what is up with that argument, that soldiers will be forgotten and useless as people if they don't have a war to fight? It's in a couple of different stories, all from Japan, and it's such an obnoxiously asinine notion that I just have to ask where it comes from. Does it have to do with the Japanese attitude that a person is supposed to work at the same company their entire adult lives? Or is it related to Japan's pacifist constitution?

I assume it stems from old stories about Samurai honor, but that's only a guess. Still though, Vindel is never really portrayed as actually making a good point. Hell, Lamia's probably right when she calls bullshit on him; her character arc is all about putting her in a spot where she can do just that.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MarsDragon posted:

Gilliam has a theme, did you notice.

well banpresto didn't bother to change his battle theme when he rejoins, obviously they don't like the new one :colbert:

Alacron posted:

Did you at least have a fun time playing WoW?

For the first weekend, then I set it down and haven't found time to pick it up again. :negative:

GimmickMan posted:

you have broken image tag: [IMG]http://lpix.org/2608607/OG2-35-198.jpg[/IMG

:thumbsup:

AradoBalanga posted:

But yes, hello Gespenst RV. You are a welcome sight here and a very good upgrade as it gives Gilliam some flexibility. While the RV will rarely gain the benefits of the Vampire Laser (unless you give it an EN guzzling weapon like the Graviton Launcher, as MarsDragon said), it does help against bosses as it can drain their EN (IIRC, it's a Lv. 1 EN Drain attack) which means less big attacks and less barrier annoyances. Plus, the ratio of boss HP to boss EN in this game is about 10:1, so that pathetic 200 or 250 EN a boss has can easily go away very fast thanks to Gilliam.

It goes away even faster if you pump up Support Attack, which is probably the main thing that makes Vampire Laser fun. Try the same thing with an Energy Taker and you're out of ammo in two shots.

quote:

I like to believe that during that scene, Rai is inwardly thinking "Oh my loving God, how am I related to this dork? :cripes:".

I assume Elzam went through the Branstein equivalent of a goth phase as a teenager, except that instead of telling everyone he was a vampire he told them all he was the Wandering Gourmet. This is just stirring up childhood memories for Rai.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Daitetsu: "We will let Major Sanger and the others vouch for you, Lamia Loveless."
Lamia: "...Thank you for putting your faith in me."
Daitetsu: "But now, we'd like the full truth from you."
Lamia: "I understand. Then I'll explain - as much as I am able."

Lamia: "Where should I begin?"
Daitetsu: "The Shadow Mirrors. Who are they?"
Lamia: "They are the Earth Federation Army's special task force."
Kai: "They're Special Ops? But the name is wrong..."
Sean: "I've heard of no such unit, myself."
Lamia: "On this side, you would not have. But on the other, the Federation made great use of them."

Tasuku: "Um, you keep saying 'this side,' 'the other side...' what are you talking about?"
Lamia: "In short, I am speaking of another world."
Lefina: "Another... world?"
Lamia: "Yes. One very like your own... but also, impossibly distant. I'll explain from the beginning."

Lamia: "In the 160s of the new era, the colonial independence movement NID4 rapidly gained power. Sharp division arose between the Earthbound government and the colonies. Fearing a colonial uprising, the Federation began to crack down. The conflict escalated, culiminating in a terrorist attack involving mobile weapons. This changed the fate of the colonies forever."
Ratsel: "By chance, did this attack target Elpis?"
Lamia: "Yes. Earthling supremacists infiltrated Elpis space colony and released poison gas into its interior. The attack caused the deaths of most of the colony's residents."
Leona: "What are you saying? That wasn't how it happened..."

Lamia: "Among the victims were the supreme commander of the federal space forces, Maier V. Branstein, his eldest son Elzam, and Elzam's wife Cattleya."
Ratsel: "Ah...!"
Sanger: "What in blazes...!?"
Leona: "But that's..."
Rai: "Not just her, but my father and brother too?"

Excellen: "W-wait a minute, Lamia! Elzam is right here!"
Arado: "Could he be a g-g-ghost!?"
Ratsel: "Sorry to disappoint, but you can see my feet right here. And my name is Ratsel, not Elzam."

:nallears:

Viletta: "Then, the other side Lamia's talking about is..."
Gilliam: "Yes... it's an alternate universe. A parallel world."
Katina: "Parallel!?"
Gilliam: "Cosmology holds that there are branches from our own world, where another possibility became reality. Separate worlds, existing alongside ours. As she said, very near, yet always distant. Parallel."
Lamia: "It is as Heli... as Major Gilliam says. And the Shadow Mirrors have traveled from that world to this one - to this side."
Viletta: "....."
Lamia: "There are infinite possibilities for divergence. Between this world and the other, many things have changed."

Rai: "Then what happened after the Elpis incident?"
Lamia: "With NID4 broken, the Federation tightened its grip on the colonies; in the end, they never attained independence. The DC War broke out. The federal army fought and eventually defeated Professor Bian Zoldark. Recognizing the alien threat he had foretold, the Federation launched an ambitious expansion of the military, leading to the development of a wide variety of mobile weapons."
Ryoto: "What kind of variety?"
Lamia: "Z&R's Valkyria series, FI's Assault Dragoon... Isurugi Heavy Industries' Lion series, and Mao's Personal Troopers."
Irm: "I've never heard of the first two companies..."
Lamia: "Of these, Isurugi's Lion and Mao's Gespenst Mk. II were the most widely used, becoming the mainstay of the Federation military."

Tetsuya: "They mass-produced the Gespenst? How many are we talking about?"
Lamia: "...Approximately three thousand units."
Tetsuya: "Three thousand!? That's way more than we have here!"
Irm: "I get it now... so that explains the Shadow Mirrors' mystery Gespensts. You brought them with you from the other side?"
Lamia: "Yes."
Irm: "And you've refined the design, explaining why the specs are different."
Lamia: "Yes. The same is true of the R-Eins."
Ryoto: "R-Eins?"
Lamia: "The official name of the R-Blade on the other side. Mao Industries developed it as a successor to the Gespenst Mk. II - a mass-produced R-1."
Ryoto: "That's the Gespenst's replacement?"
Latooni: "Then what about the MP Huckebein?"
Lamia: "After the accident with Unit 1, the 008R, the other side's Huckebein series was put under review by the military. There were a few prototypes, but the series never reached mass-production."

Aya: "What about SRX? If the R-1 was being mass-produced..."
Lamia: "Its development also saw interruptions... but once the alien attacks began, it was pushed into completion."
Rai: "Aliens... so, the Aerogaters."
Lamia: "No. The Inspectors."
Masaki: "The hell!? You're telling me they came first?"
Bullet: "So that's why you'd never heard of the Aerogaters..."

Viletta: "Did Meteor-3 never fall on the other side?"
Lamia: "No."
Viletta: "Then their SRX wasn't powered by Tronium?"
Lamia: "Judging by the data... I believe its power source is the same as on this side."
Ryusei: "Wait, how? If Meteor-3 never came down, how did they get their hands on Tronium?"
Lamia: "...I have no data on Tronium. But its existence seems likely."
Viletta: (Did somebody else bring Tronium to Earth?)

Kyosuke: "I think we get the general idea, but now comes the important part. What they're trying to do in our world."
Kyosuke: "Why did the Shadow Mirrors come to this side? And how?"
Lamia: "The decision was made before my activation... but I have the relevant data."
Kyosuke: (...Activation?)

Lamia: "Their belief is that peace rotted the Federation - no, the very world itself - from within, spreading corruption little by little. With this as his motivation, Colonel Vindel Mauser, commander of the Shadow Mirrors, launched a coup d'etat."
Ibis: "To create a world that's constantly at war?"
Lamia: "Yes. The war must never end. Peace gives corruption a chance to take hold - but in a world of constant struggle, that cannot happen. In that way, the world is kept in equilibrium."
Tsugumi: "That's... nothing but a theory."
Lamia: "A theory based on probability. In a world of chaos and change, there is a lower chance that corruption will become entrenched."

Kyosuke: "Hang on. Setting aside the question of whether they're right... why are they trying to do it here, on this side?"
Excellen: "Yeah... you'd think they could keep it in their own backyard, at least."
Katina: "Seriously. I'm guessing some reason they couldn't?"
Lamia: "You're correct. The Shadow Mirrors came to this side because we were defeated on the other. Or rather, because of an enemy unit powerful enough to upset the balance we set out to create."

Excellen: "An enemy unit? You mean... the ones Boss Vinny mentioned?"
Lamia: "Yes. The Federation's suppression squadron, the Beowulves... and their command unit, the Gespenst Mk. III."
Kyosuke: "Beowulf... that's what Axel kept calling me."
Lamia: "Yes. The Beowulves' commander was Kyosuke Nanbu."
Kyosuke: "So that's why..."
Tasuku: "And Axel kept calling the Alteisen the Gespenst Mk. III..."

Katina: "That guy really seems to have it in for Kyosuke, too. Did the other Kyosuke kick his rear end on the other side? He wants to settle the score?"
Lamia: "No... Captain Almer is afraid. He's afraid that this side's Kyosuke Nanbu will develop the same mysterious power that Beowulf had."
Kyosuke: "Power? Did the other me have TK abilities, or something like that?"
Lamia: "I have no detailed data, but it was something else... something beyond human understanding."
Excellen: "Wow! You mean, like how he always wins at gambling? Because that's way beyond human understanding."
Kyosuke: "...Can't say I have any complaints there."

Lamia: "No, this power affected his body's capabilities. Muscular strength, reflexes, regenerative powers on a superhuman level. The PT he rode changed in appearance, as well..."
Kyosuke: "His mech changed?"
Lamia: "Yes. The Beowulves were as powerful as the Hagane and Hiryu Kai are now. As a result, they were able to drive the Shadow Mirrors into a corner. The Shadow Mirrors were forced to use their last resort..."
Viletta: "...Traveling to this side."

:eng101: In the original version, there's no mention of Beowulf having any superpowers; Lamia says that he and Axel were evenly matched.

Kyosuke: "Next question, Lamia. How did they get here?"
Gilliam: "...I'll try to explain that."
Kyosuke: "!?"
Kai: "Gilliam... why would you...?"
Gilliam: "Because..."

Gilliam: "I am like the Shadow Mirrors. A traveler from the other side."
Kai: "!!"
Katina: "Wh-what the hell!?"
Radha: "M-Major!? You're... not from this world?"
Gilliam: "That's correct."
Ratsel: (So, that's what he was talking about...)
Viletta: "....."

Gilliam: "On the other side I worked at Tesla Research, developing a particular device - System XN."
Tsugumi: "System XN?"
Gilliam: "A space-time teleportation apparatus. There were two units, named Aguieus and Lykeios. But during the activation test for Aguieus, there was an accident... and I was thrown into this world, alone."
Tsugumi: "....."

Ratsel: "Then, Helios Olympus..."
Gilliam: "...Was my name on the other side. I couldn't go back to my own world, so I took Gilliam Yeager as my new name and made my decision to live here, in this one. And then, well... Major Kai, Sanger, Ratsel, you know the rest."
Sanger: "....."
Gilliam: "You... no, everyone here deserved to know the truth. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but I couldn't afford to reveal my identity, in case someone followed in my footsteps."
Sanger: "You mean, in case someone else used System XN to travel here?"
Gilliam: "Yes. Aguieus and Lykeios were still on the other side. I always knew that someone might try to follow me here. But if it wasn't a Tesla researcher, but someone with darker plans for System XN, they would try to find me and use me for their purposes."

Viletta: "Use you?"
Gilliam: "Yes. To provide finer control over Aguieus, I designed it to interface directly with me. In other words, I'm essentially the core of System XN."
Sanger: "So that's why."
Gilliam: "Yes. I disguised my identity and waited for someone to follow... as they have."
Kai: "The Shadow Mirrors."
Gilliam: "Yes... but the timing is not what I expected."
Lamia: "The Shadow Mirrors occupied Tesla, studied their data, and made a successful jump. The time between that and the departure of the First Jumper, Helios - Major Gilliam - was two years."

Daitetsu: "How many Shadow Mirrors made the transition?"
Lamia: "Counting the Federation's ASK units, the new RGC flagship, the R-Eins prototypes, the SRG and EG series taken from Tesla... as well as the Shadow Mirrors' original Gespensts and Lions, and the Fylgia and Sorpresa craft... 496 units."
Lefina: "Th-that many!?"
Lamia: "Yes. It includes members of the DC remnants who Colonel Vindel had persuaded. But... I believe no more than half actually arrived."
Kusuha: "Huh!? Why?"
Lamia: "Unlike teleportation within the same world, space-time transition is highly unstable. You might compare it to tracing a spider's thread through a muddy stream. Most of those troops were lost in the fabric of space-time and... ceased to exist."

The original script has the Shadow Mirrors' starting forces at 2096 units, and Lamia states that 502 units made their arrival. Maybe Banpresto did some math and decided there were too many for the number that we see in missions, I don't know.

Lamia: "...I believe that is when my language system began to malfunction as well."
Kusuha: "Language... system?"
Tsugumi: "Lamia, are you saying you're..."
Lamia: "My official designation is W17. I was created to carry out my given directives in order to continue the war. You might say... a puppet."
Kusuha: "...!"
Tsugumi: "You're a... an android..."
Lamia: "Yes. The Shadow Mirrors refer to us as the W-Series. The most advanced are given numbers, and entrusted with specialized missions."

Lamia: "I am the seventeenth of those... hence, W17. I do not mind if you call me that in the future."
Latooni: "....."
Arado: "Y-your name is a number? You're okay with that, Ms. Lamia? Seriously!?"
Lamia: "Arado Balanga... of course, you would... I see..."

Sanger: "...Is Wodan Ymir the same as you?"
Lamia: "Yes. He is the fifteenth... W15. As you have likely gathered, he was constructed based on data from Sanger Zonvolt on the other side."
Sanger: "...And his mech?"
Lamia: "It was derived from the Grungust Type-3's design, taken from the other side... but was modified with technology acquired here."
Ratsel: "But why copy Sanger?"
Lamia: "As a counter to the Beowulves. He never faced Kyosuke Nanbu, however..."
Kyosuke: (What the hell am I on the other side? I don't care about this "power" but something isn't right...)

Sanger: "And the other me?"
Lamia: "According to my data, he went missing after the Earth Cradle's uprising."
Sanger: "...I see."

Kyosuke: "So the Shadow Mirrors... Axel, Wodan, and you, Lamia... came over here to do what you couldn't on the other side."
Lamia: "Yes. On the other side, the presence of the Beowulves upset the balance."
Bullet: "Of endless war? How the hell can you call that balance!?"
Tsugumi: "When war breaks out, technology leaps forward... there's a certain logic to it, but..."
Excellen: "It might sound like the perfect world to people who want to fight, but pretty much anybody else would call that world hell."
Kyosuke: "...They're going to regret thinking that they can get away with that here."
Gilliam: "They won't be stopped unless we can destroy System XN."
Lamia: "...Exactly."
Daitetsu: "....."

Lamia: "Captain Daitetsu, I've told you everything I know."
Daitetsu: "....."
Sean: "So, Captain... what shall we do with her?"
Daitetsu: "Nothing. We continue as before."
Lamia: "But I..."
Daitetsu: "Whatever your past, your intentions now are the same as ours?"
Lamia: "...They are."
Daitetsu: "Then that's that... are there any objections?"

Rai: "....."
Kyosuke: "....."
Katina: "...We know how this goes by now."
Lamia: "Lieutenant Katina..."

Excellen: "I guess we should say... welcome back, Lamia!"
Lamia: "Ms. Excel..."
Excellen: "Anyway... your speech is fixed now, huh?"
Tasuku: "Yeah, I was gonna say. It feels like something's missing now."
Lamia: "When I left, the repair was not complete. At times, the impro-oper spe-ech and pron-onuncia-ation... returns."
Excellen: "Yay! I'm so glad you're back to normal!"

:pseudo: Since Lamia's voice is fixed properly in the original version, here Excellen says that the three beautiful sisters have been reunited. When prompted, she goes on to explain that that's her, Lamia, and Viletta (prompting Katina to sulk a little, maybe).

Lamia: "But, Excellen... can I really stay here? I came to this world as your enemy..."
Excellen: "I already said we're good! Anything else is up to you. Either stick with us, or head off on your own... that's your call, not ours."
Lamia: (Up to me... Mistress Lemon said the same thing. Then, I...)

Viletta: "Lamia... we need your help in the coming battle."
Bullet: "That's right. Please, fight with us!"
Tasuku: "Yeah, you're gonna give a real bounce to the team!"
Leona: "A... bounce, you say...?"
Tasuku: "It, uh... was a joke, y'know? L-Leona dearest..."

Lamia: "...Then I've decided. I'll fight with you... until the fighting ends."
Lamia: (This doesn't... feel bad at all. Those two who were cast out of paradise, so long ago... did they feel the same way?)

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 31, 2016

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Note that Gilliam is still lying about poo poo even here.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

well banpresto didn't bother to change his battle theme when he rejoins, obviously they don't like the new one :colbert:

Well, and the Greek mythology thing he has going on.

Nice big exposition dump here. I like how Vindel got his rear end kicked and didn't decide this required rethinking his philosophy. What happens to the world of endless war when someone wins? Well, er....look over there! Another dimension!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
You know, if they ever get around to doing Z's Break the World scenario in the OG games, I kind of hope they bring over Beowulf and other evil versions of hero characters.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Daitetsu: "We will let Major Sanger vouch for you, Lamia Loveless."
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this supposed to be Gilliam that Daitetsu's referring to, not Sanger?

Also, I forgot how shoved in the Beowulf retcons come off in Lamia's info dump. It feels like they didn't really do much to fix the narrative flow to account for the changes. It makes Lamia sound like she went off on a tangent then snapped back to the original script without time to breathe.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AradoBalanga posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't this supposed to be Gilliam that Daitetsu's referring to, not Sanger?

Checking the script again, there's actually a "tachi" that I missed, so they're actually letting Sanger And Friends vouch for her. But it's Sanger and not Gilliam who gets pointed out by name, for whatever reason.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Alacron posted:

You know, if they ever get around to doing Z's Break the World scenario in the OG games, I kind of hope they bring over Beowulf and other evil versions of hero characters.

It'll probably happen with the SRW L plot, honestly.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Seyser Koze posted:

Checking the script again, there's actually a "tachi" that I missed, so they're actually letting Sanger And Friends vouch for her. But it's Sanger and not Gilliam who gets pointed out by name, for whatever reason.

Well, with Elzam "missing in action" :rolleyes: and Kai and Gilliam already on the team, Sanger might be the only rogue factor of The Aggressors who would see her with an entirely unbiased view. So Daitetsu would be deferring to that judgement.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

GilliamYaeger posted:

It'll probably happen with the SRW L plot, honestly.

Wait, do you mean Break the World would happen with the L plot, or Beowulf would happen with the L plot? Full disclosure, I know pretty much nothing about L.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Alacron posted:

Wait, do you mean Break the World would happen with the L plot, or Beowulf would happen with the L plot? Full disclosure, I know pretty much nothing about L.

Maybe both, but Beowulf will definitely happen with L. Lude Gloria, the final boss, is the President of an alternate universe's Federation (the one that Macross Frontier, Voltes V and the Linebarrels villains come from) and he invades the Lverse with his army of androids.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Personally I always thought Beowulf would be better as a part of the K plot, since that involves space monsters who possess people from multiple planets. Sure, those monsters are not the Einst, but if we have to face the Einst again might as well put a twist on them and bring on the EinstEdax.

Arado being an idiot going "WHAT IF ELZAM HERE IS A GHOST" and Elzam no-selling it with "That's impossible, because I'm Ratsel." amuses me more than it should.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
At the end of the anime version of this game doesn't Beowulf show up? I seem to recall that. Since he does, he probably won't be coming back in a later game if he isn't in this updated remake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Montegoraon posted:

At the end of the anime version of this game doesn't Beowulf show up? I seem to recall that. Since he does, he probably won't be coming back in a later game if he isn't in this updated remake.

The anime adaptation cuts out another very significant plot point involving Lee so I would say that something appearing/not appearing in it isn't very important to future games.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It's probably worth pointing out that the Divine Wars anime came out half a year before OGs, and included a couple of "deviations" that aren't reflected in the remade OG1, so they're probably content to say that the games aren't bound by what happens in the shows.

Then again, alternate universes and all that.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
So in addition to super spy, skilled pilot and Kamen Rider, Gilliam is also a genius scientist?

In regard to Elzam's little maskerade, I think it was meant as a way to start a "new life" and leave his past behind to become a different person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

AtomikKrab posted:

Note that Gilliam is still lying about poo poo even here.

Lies of omission though, the best kind of lie!

• Locked thread