Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Never stop using Katina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I am curious: do upgrades and pilot kills carry over into the OG2 segment, or is it treated like two entirely separate games on one disc?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

I am curious: do upgrades and pilot kills carry over into the OG2 segment, or is it treated like two entirely separate games on one disc?

The latter.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Although there is some sort of bonus for completing both Ryusei and Kyosuke's scenarios in OG1 before moving on to OG2, but I don't remember what it is (probably a bunch of money).

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Yesssssss, Gilliam Yeager. :swoon: Just look at that fabulous hair.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

CaptainRat posted:

Although there is some sort of bonus for completing both Ryusei and Kyosuke's scenarios in OG1 before moving on to OG2, but I don't remember what it is (probably a bunch of money).

25% of your OG1 cash carries over to the second game (if you choose to go straight from the OG1 end credits into the first mission of OG2).

This is nice, but less of an advantage than you'd think, since OG2 missions tend to be as much a test of pilot abilities and SP management as of your machines.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 25, 2014

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Gilliam :swoon:

Gilliam is just the best. I won't get to say entirely why until the rear end-end of OG2, but for right now the hair will do.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

anilEhilated posted:

Never stop using Katina.

Katina's early access to Valor does give her a strong niche in this part of the Kyosuke route.

I remember one run of OG1 in which I maxed out her Jet Magnum and Gespenst and just went to town. :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dr Pepper posted:

Katina's early access to Valor does give her a strong niche in this part of the Kyosuke route.

I remember one run of OG1 in which I maxed out her Jet Magnum and Gespenst and just went to town. :allears:

In OG1 Katina has natural access to Attacker, she gets Drive, and the 008L has no pilot designated to it.

And she gets Assail, and has a higher shooting stat than Melee. So Katina ruins faces endlessly.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gilliam :allears:

HOWEVER for very very good reasons :argh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Yep, that's a 6000-plus-damage double-crit with the shotgun. If this had been a counterattack, it would've been over 7000 thanks to Revenge. Katina Shotgun, I think I love you.

We know who the MVP of OGs is, and it's the weapon, not the user.

But nah, Katina's great. Always use Katina. But the Shotgun is even better, and I'd say spending a lot on making the Shotgun strong is probably one of the best uses for money in OGs, especially early on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah, Kyosuke's team is far and away my favorite so far. Sanger handles business pretty much exactly how a giant robot commander should, Katina's as gloriously unstable as her eye color and twice as vicious, and then you have Excellen, who is just having way too much fun with this poo poo full time. Kyosuke himself and Bullet make great straight men to Katina and Excellen so the entire dynamic almost pops out of the game. Utterly fantastic.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And soon, we shall meet (one of) the heavy lifters when I last played Kyosuke's route, Gilliam. Dude was literally impossible to hit, and while not the strongest, definitely pulled his weight.

Too bad we won't hear his awesome personal theme until OG2, though. :negative:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

We know who the MVP of OGs is, and it's the weapon, not the user.

But nah, Katina's great. Always use Katina. But the Shotgun is even better, and I'd say spending a lot on making the Shotgun strong is probably one of the best uses for money in OGs, especially early on.

In the GBA versions, it was the basic M90 rifle that served this role, or whatever it's called, but yeah, due to the Twin system in OGs, the Shotgun is king, as it gives you access to a fairly powerful, no will requirement ALL weapon that you can toss between PTs as needed.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

AtomikKrab posted:

Gilliam :allears:

HOWEVER for very very good reasons :argh:

There is never a good reason to :argh: Gilliam. :colbert:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Now that he's bailed on us, it's time to talk about Sanger behind his back.

Original Origins: Sanger

Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden featured the intrepid defenders of the Earth traveling forward in time. They found themselves in a post-apocalyptic future in which the Earth had been devastated by a massive shockwave generated during the final mission of Alpha 1. Our heroes' efforts to help the ragtag survivors (and maybe find themselves a way home) ended up pitting them against an insane computer, overseer of a facility formerly meant to preserve humanity in the event of just such an apocalypse.

One of this computers' faithful servants was an immortal, unkillable German guy in a mech with a Norse name who thought he was a Japanese samurai and waved around giant drills and a sword made out of the T-1000 from Terminator. That's right; Sanger was introduced to Super Robot Wars as an enemy. Eventually he could be persuaded to join you in fighting his former master; when the heroes returned to their own time, he remained in the future, never to be seen again.

Until Alpha 2, anyway, which opens with that same facility coming under attack in the present from the game's original enemies, and its occupants - who you'd just finished fighting as bosses at the end of Alpha Gaiden - being wiped out. Sanger turns out to be one of the only survivors, but finds little to live for; he'd forsaken all of his ties in the belief that he'd be in cold sleep for a very long time, if not forever, and yet he awakes to discover that he's already failed in his mission to protect his comrades. However, as new and old threats arise to threaten the Alphaverse, his spirit compels him to step into the cockpit of the Grungust Type-3 and fight until he can find a new reason to live. Londo Bell is surprised to see him after their marathon boss fight against him from the end of Alpha Gaiden, but soon accepts him as one of their own.

Obviously, his background has changed ever so slightly in Original Generation, and they got him a new (well, I suppose technically old) machine to boot.

Voice Actor: Kenichi Ono, who hasn't had any amusing dub roles so I'm reduced to admitting that he also voiced Prospector in Nadesico.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 26, 2014

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Really, we've barely even begun to scratch the surface of all things Sanger. He's such a bundle of awesome and amusing traits even if he's not your favourite character, there's still plenty to love about him and it only escalates from here.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I still remember my friend who had played OG 1 on the GBA before digging into Alpha Gaiden. That Music(tm) starts playing, a robot he doesn't immediately recognize appears, and then he sees the pilot portrait...

"Oh poo poo! OH poo poo!"

(also he had burned a lot of his SP in the first part of the fight, so he was going to get a new rear end in a top hat stomped into him.)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

There is never a good reason to :argh: Gilliam. :colbert:

There is a perfectly good reason So much poo poo is pretty directly HIS loving fault,

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And he's a total fruitcake. We need manlier heroes. Like Katina.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

All i'm saying is, I've been doing the bookmaking on an illegal underground bare knuckle boxing ring with all the characters in this game so far as participants and the odds on Katina are 1.1:1

If you favor the long shot I recommend Tenzan, he's got an entry level of 12:1

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

There is a perfectly good reason So much poo poo is pretty directly HIS loving fault,

Come on man, the aliens were coming anyway.

I'd argue more but this is hella spoilers. We can take it to the main thread if you want.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Gilliam is pretty loving manly, wait till you see what HE can do.

even so :argh:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AtomikKrab posted:

Gilliam is pretty loving manly, wait till you see what HE can do.

even so :argh:

He's an aggressor. It really should be enough.

That being said at this point what that really entails beyond 'is a goddamn badass' hasn't been told to us.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 26, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He's an aggressor. It really should be enough.

That being said at this point what that really entails beyond 'is a goddamn badass' hasn't been told to us.

Though we've been given more than enough proof to say that 'is a goddamn badass' is an absolute part of the job. Sanger, Elzam, Kai...okay, not Tempest, but that's still most of them. Gilliam definitely falls into the "badass" category too, as we'll see later on.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AtomikKrab posted:

There is a perfectly good reason

All things considered, males with long, luxurious hair should be a giant warning sign in the OGverse. I can't think of a single one who doesn't either directly or indirectly deserve a punch in the face.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

KataraniSword posted:

All things considered, males with long, luxurious hair should be a giant warning sign in the OGverse. I can't think of a single one who doesn't either directly or indirectly deserve a punch in the face.

Point of clarification: Does Irm's mullet qualify as "long, luxurious hair"? Only half of it? Science demands an answer.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

vibratingsheep posted:

Point of clarification: Does Irm's mullet qualify as "long, luxurious hair"? Only half of it? Science demands an answer.

You'll have an answer for that in two missions.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

S.D. posted:

I still remember my friend who had played OG 1 on the GBA before digging into Alpha Gaiden. That Music(tm) starts playing, a robot he doesn't immediately recognize appears, and then he sees the pilot portrait...

"Oh poo poo! OH poo poo!"

(also he had burned a lot of his SP in the first part of the fight, so he was going to get a new rear end in a top hat stomped into him.)

That my friend is the proper reaction to have when encountering Sanger loving Zonvolt on the battlefield.

Which we're all gonna be screaming a lot, as he something of a reoccuring boss fight all throughout Kyosuke's route.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ryusei Route, Mission 9

Aidoneus Island. Keep this location in mind during the next few missions as you keep track of the Hagane's progress.

:eng101: Incidentally, this scene is new.

Adler informs Bian of Elzam's failure to secure the Far East base. It's regrettable, but even a Tronium-equipped ship like the Hagane can only hope to do so much against the Divine Crusaders' might. Bian asks Lorenzo his opinion; most likely, the Hagane is on its way to reinforce the remaining Federation forces in Europe - or, less likely, they're headed into space to try and aid the few allies they have left up there. Hearing this, Bian asks his subordinate how he judges the likelihood that the Hagane is headed here, to Aidoneus. Adler sneers: one ship, staging an assault on their stronghold all by itself? Madness, surely.

Nonetheless, Adler intends to put Tempest in command of the search for the fugitive Hagane - a fine soldier, Bian observes, but perhaps too proud to accept a duty such as this. Lorenzo tries to puzzle out the Federation's tactics in all of this, but Bian ultimately allows Adler to go ahead with his initial plans. Bian thinks to himself that in the end, both the Hagane and its crew were beyond his reach; how close will they manage to get to their goal?

The Hagane's got a ways to go before it reaches its destination.

Tetsuya reports that the Hagane is on course and will be entering the Hachijo region as soon as it passes the fifth defensive line. To make matters better, there isn't an enemy unit in sight. (:eng101:In the original this line went to Rio, but here it's Eita. I'm not going to go out of my way to comment on little things like that in the future, though.) Tetsuya, always cautious, finds the lack of pursuit to be strange, so Daitetsu suggests testing out the ship's dive capabilities and orders a depth of 2300 in the Izu-Ogasawara strait. The Killer Whale's maximum depth is 2000, but the Space Noah vessels are built for use in outer space, so they can go deeper; only a deep-sea research vessel would be able to catch up with them.

I have no idea how this works. Isn't the pressure lower in space but higher underwater?

Giado temporarily freaks out upon discovering that they're underwater, having missed the shipwide announcement due to listening to his reggae music again. Garnet starts getting fired up for another scolding, but Giado immediately changes the subject ("Wow! These super space battleships really are something, huh?"), up until she threatens to tell Ingram.

Kusuha comes in to deliver Aya some medicine from Dr. Kobayashi; Aya asks if her father had a message for her, but it would appear not. That done, Kusuha asks if Ryusei is around, only to learn that he's off helping with the calibrations to the Wildraubtier. Saying that it might be a while, Aya offers to accompany her to the hangar, but Kusuha still has more rounds to make and has to decline.

As she exits, Giado quietly asks Garnet if she's Ryusei's girlfriend, but Garnet heard that they were just childhood friends. Hmm.

:eng101:Yet another Kusuha/Ryusei change here. In the original Ryusei is in this scene, visibly at a loss about how to get Kusuha off the ship now that it's too loving late to get her off the ship. Giado notices that he's down and offers to help him out if he's got girl troubles. ("Don't listen to him, Ryusei, all he knows is cheesy pickup lines!" "Hey, you didn't think they were so cheesy last night!") Kusuha walks in to give Aya her medicine, but as soon as she goes to talk to Ryusei, he panics and runs off to the hangar to help with calibrations. Given the way he was acting, it doesn't take much for Giado and Garnet to put two and two together.

Hey, we're closer already. At this rate we'll be reach the Marquesas in ten, eleven more scene changes at the latest! :v:

The Hagane is holding at 2500 meters, and still no sign of enemies on sonar. Eita helpfully points out that they're coming up on the deepest section of the Izu Strait; at 10000 meters it's well past crush depth even for the Hagane. Rio responds with something clever, which Eita doesn't take too well.

:eng99:Yeah, I'm stumped. My limited grasp of Japanese can't parse this one, and this little exchange isn't actually in the Atlus version. Unless somebody else wants to come to the rescue this will remain a mystery FOREVER.

Edit - Vibratingsheep steps up to the plate:

vibratingsheep posted:

Would you believe that she's making an awful pun here? From the context, she's splitting the difference between そんなことかい (sonna koto kai) -> "Is that so/is that all?" and "圧壊" (akkai) which is "being crushed by severe pressure". Eita's line pretty much translates to "That's so corny."

As a note, this is where the Acguy (an aquatic mech from Mobile Suit Gundam - SK) gets its name.

Tetsuya has to yell at the two of them to remember that they're at battle stations, then grumbles about how he's been cursed with a crew that can find time to screw around even at the bottom of the sea.

Just in time, too, because Eita picks up a torpedo on sonar. Six torpedoes, actually. Daitetsu orders countermeasures deployed...

I like the little pause here while Daitetsu, Tetsuya, Rio, and Eita all get a "..." before the explosion. Brings to mind all the scenes in submarine thrillers where the crew's getting depth-charged and they're just waiting to see if the next one's the one that kills them.

Five of the incoming torpedoes have been destroyed, but the last one is still closing fast! Daitetsu orders evasive maneuvers, but---

Mission 9: Assassins in the Deep

Yeah, I like Atlus' "Silent Service" better.

It may just have been one torpedo, but it managed to knock the ship's Tesla Drive offline. It takes some clever chicanery with the ballast to keep the Hagane from going straight to the bottom as it is.

Eita picks something up on sonar: enemy submarines, well below what was believed to be their maximum depth. They've been waiting for us, and this far below the ocean's surface, deploying PTs is emphatically not an option. Undaunted, Daitetsu orders the crew to slip the blockade and make for open water; it's just them now, with no hope of resupplying, so the Hagane had best avoid prolonged combat.

And by that he means "kill all the enemies anyway if you want the battle mastery." Otherwise we can just squeak past them and reach the far edge of the map.

Here's a video of the full mission, if anybody who doesn't play the game is wondering why I keep the animations turned off most of the time.

Assuming you're reading along, just keep Steel Messiah playing throughout this update.

Here's the map; five Killer Whales to take out, and all we've got is the Hagane. For once, at least, what we see is what we get; there aren't any enemy reinforcements to worry about. Actually it makes this a very simple mission, assuming you planned things out intelligently. It's more about carefully managing your SP than anything else.

We didn't take much notice of them last time because they weren't fighting anything worth strategizing against, but here are Daitetsu and Tetsuya's spirits. Daitetsu has Strike, Guard, and Guts, which fully heals the caster; Tetsuya has Trust and Focus. We don't really have any trouble hitting submarines, so Strike and Focus are meaningless on this mission, but the others might be useful.

Just not yet, because Daitetsu only has enough SP for two casts and we want to make them count. The submarines on this mission are actually different from the Killer Whales we've seen before; they're the Killer Whale DS. As far as I can tell, "DS" stands for "drat lovely" or something similar because the main difference from the regular model is 7500 health instead of 15k.

Looks like we ought to be able to take a sub out in 3 shots, give or take. They, on the other hand, can kill us in around ten or so. Given that we're fighting the other four subs all at once, you can probably do the math.

Enemy phase. Interestingly, the Hagane's big-rear end beam cannons aren't considered beam weapons and work just fine underwater. :iiam:

Turn 2. Ryusei wants to go out and help, and Irm has to point out exactly why that's a bad idea. They've just got to trust in the captain and his executive officer...

At that moment, tremors rock the ship. According to Eita, the Tesla Drive is still going haywire and the trim tanks aren't doing the job after all - they're sinking. Daitetsu orders the ship's primary rocket cluster ignited, hopefully allowing them to surface.

Instead it turns out that "haywire" is a bit of an understatement; instead of doing its normal gravity defying thing, the Hagane is actually being pulled to the bottom of the ocean. Their current tricks with the ballast will only keep them afloat for 4 more minutes, tops. In response to this, Daitetsu orders the ship's overboost used. Ordinarily, this is only employed for getting into space. Doing so while submerged could be unpredictable, but this is an emergency.

This is why Daitetsu is awesome.
:byodood:"Captain, there are torpedoes incoming!"
:chord:"Shoot them."
:byodood:"Captain, we're sinking!"
:chord:"Fire the rockets."
:byodood:"Captain, we're still sinking!"
:chord:"Fire the bigger rockets."
Nothing fazes this guy.

I suppose it wasn't accurate to say there were no surprises in this mission; now that imminent sinking is a danger, we have five turns to get off the map. Or kill everything. This doesn't actually make things harder at all, unless your strategy for the battle mastery involved maneuvering around to engage the remaining subs one at a time.

We move on past the first sub, finishing it off as we go.

:eng101: The original version of this is actually a bit trickier, as the first sub is off to the side instead of being conveniently positioned right in your path.

Turn 3; Tetsuya belatedly realizes that the initial sub intended to ambush us. Thanks for that observation, Tetsuya.

Now that we're facing down four subs at once, it's time to cast Guard. The mission's as good as won now, just so you know.

Enemy phase, everybody shoots us and gets shot back. With Guard triggered, the enemies do so little damage that the Hagane's energy field is able to completely nullify the attacks.

Of course, come Turn 4 we're just about out of energy, meaning we can't use the impact cannons any longer. Not to worry; the Hagane has plenty of other ordnance to use.

BOFF

POW

And the other last two are left looking like this at the Turn 5 start.

BANG

SHAZAM

The Pacific garbage patch is going to be a whole lot bigger by the time we're done with this campaign.

With the enemies destroyed, the Hagane activates the Overboost, rendered in all the awesome theatrical power that an in-engine cutscene can muster.

I forgot to turn the Record function right away, so this is all you get to see of the first scene. You didn't miss much: the bridge crew can't believe they're still alive after all that and marvels at Daitetsu's skill as the Hiryu's former captain. The Hagane continues on its way and hopefully will have the Tesla Drive repaired before it has to go underwater again.

:eng101: Not included in the remake: another scene about Kusuha and Ryusei. Garnet comes right up to Kusuha and asks if the two of them are like "that." Kusuha denies it, but laments that Ryusei doesn't seem to have time to talk to her. Without asking, Garnet volunteers to help out.

Irm tells Robert that he's finished running checks on the Huckebein 009. Ryusei's ears perk up at the mention of another robot, and Irm tells him that this is one he used to pilot, back in the days of the PTX team (the SRX team's predecessors, now disbanded). In any case, the 009 looks like it's going to perform just fine, if not quite as well as the 008L - unsurprising, given that it uses a different drive.

Ryusei asks what they mean by that, and Robert readily fills him in. In addition to the 009, the Huckebein series included the 008L and 008R as well. Rather than the 009's plasma engine, these two used the Black Hole Engine, making them the first Personal Troopers to incorporate EOT into their designs. Ryusei comments on the ominous-sounding name, and Irm can't but agree. During its first test, the 008R's engine went haywire and destroyed the facility. The only survivors were himself, Dr. Hamill...

...and Rai, who was the 008R's test pilot. The accident cost him his left hand; hearing this brings Ryusei up short. In any case, after the disaster the Huckebein was unaffectionately nicknamed the "Vanishing Trooper." A moment later Irm realizes that Ryusei's still in shock at learning this. He supposes it's just like Rai not to say anything about it, even to his own teammates. In any case, after their experiences with EOT, they're all a bit leery of picking it up again.

:woop:

And that's all for this time. Nice and easy.

Next time: The Hair.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 27, 2014

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The 009! I've never really ever gotten that much out of it, but it's not a Gespenst so hooray!

This stage is apparently one ideal for money grinding early on because every foe is a cash-filled pinata and the failure state to force you to repeat the mission is fairly easy to achieve. Never really saw the point in it myself but whatever floats your giant space-fairing vessel I suppose.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

The Hagane is holding at 2500 meters, and still no sign of enemies on sonar. Eita helpfully points out that they're coming up on the deepest section of the Izu Strait; at 10000 meters it's well past crush depth even for the Hagane. Rio responds with something clever, which Eita doesn't take too well.

:eng99:Yeah, I'm stumped. My limited grasp of Japanese can't parse this one, and this little exchange isn't actually in the Atlus version. Unless somebody else wants to come to the rescue this will remain a mystery FOREVER.

Would you believe that she's making an awful pun here? From the context, she's splitting the difference between そんなことかい (sonna koto kai) -> "Is that so/is that all?" and "圧壊" (akkai) which is "being crushed by severe pressure". Eita's line pretty much translates to "That's so corny."

As a note, this is where the Acguy gets its name.

quote:

Just not yet, because Daitetsu only has enough SP for two casts and we want to make them count. The submarines on this mission are actually different from the Killer Whales we've seen before; they're the Killer Whale DS. As far as I can tell, "DS" stands for "drat lovely" or something similar because the main difference from the regular model is 7500 health instead of 15k.

This one's a little less punny. I'm willing to bet that it stands for "Deep Sea".

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 27, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A good 'localization' for that terrible pun would probably be playing around with the word crush. 'We're past crush depth,' 'hope you haven't gotten a crush on me, then,' etc.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The 009! I've never really ever gotten that much out of it, but it's not a Gespenst so hooray!

This stage is apparently one ideal for money grinding early on because every foe is a cash-filled pinata and the failure state to force you to repeat the mission is fairly easy to achieve. Never really saw the point in it myself but whatever floats your giant space-fairing vessel I suppose.

I barely ever use the 009 either, but it's decent enough considering what else you have. I generally put Aya in it, just because she could use the upgrade and it more or less plays to her strengths.

I do have a bizarre fondness for it story-wise, in that it is so clearly something Mao Industries slapped together in desperation after the 008R nearly ruined the Huckebein line. I can only imagine the kind of meetings that led to...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The 009 goes to Latooni after Irm, then to Rai, and then to Katina typically, giving her the Graviton Cannon and its will requirement she laughs all over (In OG1) I like it, it has innate double image, it's a green gundam, it's dodgy, and I just like it.

Then again we're talking about the GBA version, and I just don't use the ATX team because I don't like them and I don't want to use their machines even if I like the machines. Except the Mk.II and I gave that to Ryoto.

EDIT: To point out how much I just... am over the ATX team? I deploy Giado over the ATX team. Giado is by no means a good pilot, he is very bad.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 27, 2014

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

vibratingsheep posted:

As a note, this is where the Acguy gets its name.

I figured it was going to be something like that. I'll edit this into the update, though I'm sure you'll have to come save me again at some point over the next 50 missions until OG1 is over. :worship:

quote:

This one's a little less punny. I'm willing to bet that it stands for "Deep Sea".

I am quite certain that my interpretation is correct. :thejoke:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

I am quite certain that my interpretation is correct. :thejoke:

In my defense, once you're in "find the pun" mode it's hard to get out of it. Also puns are awful :(

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

At least they didn't call it KillerWhaleDC. :v:

This stage is cool. It is not particularly engaging but it makes you use your battleship (which is actually a fairly decent unit for this first chunk of OG1) and it is easy/fast enough that the gimmick doesn't overstay its welcome.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Eita wins my award for "most obnoxious portrait" for that "glasses halfway off" thing. Somehow even worse than Ryusei's awful "nobody can draw a drat wink properly" one. :p
Anyway, this seems more like an extended puzzle robo stage than a real stage to me, what with the extremely basic setup and fairly clever solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The pressure stuff they were talking about makes something resembling sense, but only if you ignore anything past the idea that both are solving a pressure problem. In space, since it's a hard vacuum outside the ship, any atmosphere you have inside the craft desperately wants to get out of it. However, the atmosphere inside is only 1 bar because that's the pressure humans prefer. You could actually punch through an Apollo era orbiter's 'armor' with a stiff kick on the landing pad.

For a submarine, the problem is the opposite; there is substantially more pressure outside the vessel than inside it. The thing is, water does a pretty awesome job of exerting pressure. In fact, every 10m you are underwater, it's another atm (or bar) of pressure being exerted on your craft. So while a space ship's pressure requirements are 1 bar of pressure going out...at 2500m, the pressure requirements are 250 bar going in.

So no. Being spaceworthy doesn't make the Hagane inherently capable of functioning any more than 10m underwater. But this ignores that the ship is tooled for combat, and therefore has to have a much heavier hull than a simple space explorer, and also the fact that this is a goddamn Super Robot Wars game so whatever, give it a pass if it means we get to blow more poo poo up.

• Locked thread