Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

I wonder how they handle voice recording for SRWs. Do they just get the actors in a booth with a script, or do they get to see animations for what they're voicing or what? Has Terada or anyone else on Team Suparobo talked about this?
They've never really elaborated on how that gets handled, as far as I know. Granted, a lot of voice actors who work on the series do love what they're doing and have fun with their lines, so that is one thing to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

AradoBalanga posted:

They've never really elaborated on how that gets handled, as far as I know. Granted, a lot of voice actors who work on the series do love what they're doing and have fun with their lines, so that is one thing to keep in mind.

In my imagination, Midorikawa Hikaru hovers over everyone's shoulder at Banpresto at all times, giving his input on everything from unit placement to sound mixing to just how loud you need to scream "Jet Magnum". It explains a lot to me.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

In my imagination, Midorikawa Hikaru hovers over everyone's shoulder at Banpresto at all times, giving his input on everything from unit placement to sound mixing to just how loud you need to scream "Jet Magnum". It explains a lot to me.

One of these days, Green River Light Voice is just going to stop voice acting so he can get a job at Banpresto, and every SRW game from then onwards has all of his characters in them. Even if they don't have the rest of the series.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I'm pretty sure most of these voice actors are people who've like, been in robot animes before and work with Banpresto periodically, and given that this is the most robot anime ever the VAs probably have a pretty drat good idea of what's going on with so much skimming the script.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

AradoBalanga posted:

I do know this is the case for Hikaru Midorikawa, the voice actor for Heero Yuy. He apparently loves SRW so much that he always gives the team extra lines to work with for free, and often works as a beta tester for the games before release.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Seyser Koze posted:

Elpis
The first enclosed human space colony, completed in SE 075; seat of colonial authority and headquarters of the colonial military. The history of the colonies has been one of hardship and suffering: from the moment immigration to Elpis began in SE 076, adapting to the harshness of space was a constant trial; this was compounded in later years by the wave of large-scale terrorist attacks by separatist militants in SE 157 (the Nozomi Incident), the SE 172 bombing of a colony's bulkhead (the Hope Incident), and the biochemical attack of SE 184 (the Elpis Incident), resulting in countless lives tragically lost.
Nonetheless, beginning in the 160s, a peaceful movement was gaining strength and arguing for the right of self-government (NID4). Under the leadership of Brian Midcrid, who enjoyed strong popularity with the Earth, the colonies gained their independence from the Federation in SE 184 (leading to the formation of the Colonial Military Union and the appointment of Maier Branstein at its head).
Ten space colonies currently exist. In order of date of establishment: 1 - Elpis, 2 - Nozomi, 3 - Hoffnung, 4 - Wish, 5 - Espoir, 6 - Hope, 7 - Space, 8 - Esperanza, 9 - Speranza, 10 - Nadezhda. All exist in the L4 sector of space.

:pseudo:That number 7 seems a bit out of place. Elpis was the spirit of hope trapped in Pandora's Box, according to Hesiod; the others are different words for hope in... Japanese, German, English, French, English, ???, Spanish, Italian, Russian. At this point it's looking kind of likely that I'm misreading some other language as "Space," (スペース ), but it's late and :effort:

I had the same problem what I was trying to translate the colony names. Someone told me it was 'Spes', which is supposedly Latin for hope and therefore fits the naming scheme, but as I don't know Latin I can't verify this.

quote:

MAPW
A Mass Amplitude Preemptive-strike Weapon, a weapon with unparalleled range, power, and area of effect. Often called a "Map Weapon."
(They're reaching with that abbreviation.)

But they're not nukes, we swear they're not nukes.

quote:

Tronium
Material discovered within Meteor 3. Providing the highest energy yield yet discovered within the solar system, it has been taken as further evidence of its vessel's artificial nature. In light of the strange metal's capabilities, the six units of Tronium retrieved from the meteor came under intense study by EOTI. After some negotiations (engineered by Major Ingram Prisken of the SRX Project), access was granted to the Federation military. The Tronium Engine was developed to harness the material's seemingly limitless potential; however, it soon became clear that human technology simply was not able to harness so much energy, resulting in the use of limiters to throttle the engine's output. While these limiters could be removed, it would be a difficult - not to mention dangerous - task for the operators involved.

Wow, that sure is some foreshadowing.

On a trivia note, Tronium first came up in Shin Super Robot Wars, it's the SRX Team's general Unobtanium. Back then it was only available from the planet Tron, which was destroyed before the story began. Not quite kryptionite, but pretty close. Now it's just really super rare, but I think they dropped the 'destroyed planet' bit.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

MarsDragon posted:

I had the same problem what I was trying to translate the colony names. Someone told me it was 'Spes', which is supposedly Latin for hope and therefore fits the naming scheme, but as I don't know Latin I can't verify this.

Wikipedia to the rescue! Spes is the Roman goddess of hope, the counterpart of Elpis.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Anyone who doubts that the VAs get a certain level of freedom when doing attack lines needs to look up the Gestpenst kick compilation video.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ryoga posted:

Anyone who doubts that the VAs get a certain level of freedom when doing attack lines needs to look up the Gestpenst kick compilation video.

Said video will have spoilers for OG2, so be warned.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id say dont spoil anything because if anything OG has going absolutely great for it it is the mech designs and theur attacks.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ryusei Route, Mission 11

At the DC-held base on Wake Island, Tempest receives a communication from Vice-Commander Adler. Word of his difficulties with the Hagane have reached headquarters, but Adler isn't calling to deliver recriminations - he wants Tempest to take a submarine back to Aidoneus at once. Tempest begins to protest that he must stop the Hagane at Wake Island, but Adler has something else in mind for him - to take command of the assault on Federation Headquarters in Geneva. Tempest skirts the line of insubordination by asking if Lorenzo wouldn't be an equally suitable choice, but apparently he has duties of his own to attend to. Not to worry, though; Tenzan Nakajima will be assuming command. This is less than reassuring to Tempest, but the order comes from the supreme commander himself.

It's almost as though Bian wants the Hagane facing a volatile rookie instead of a hardened veteran. :ssh:

Still, Tempest will have company; Elzam and Shu Shirakawa have been summoned back to headquarters as well. Adler signs off, and Tempest has a moment of panic - has Bian seen right through his intentions to destroy the Hagane instead of capturing it as ordered? Before he can dwell on it further, Tenzan enters, enjoying his newfound power and not entirely pleased to see Tempest still here. Tenzan says not to worry, he'll take care of the Hagane for him. Tempest doesn't expect much from a kid who can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality, but Tenzan has equally low expectations of old men hung up on avenging their families. Internet trolls, 1; people born before the Internet, 0. At least Tempest looks like he's having fun with his little revenge spree... Tempest warns the gamer to watch his mouth if he values his life, to which Tempest responds with mock-fear.

The Hagane has just entered the Micronesia region, approaching the Tropic of Cancer. Their next concern is Wake Island, which has been a military stronghold for ages - the Divine Crusaders' stronghold now if they've seized it from the Federation, which seems likely given that the last batch of enemies came from this direction. They could theoretically avoid the island, but it controls the enemy supply lines for everything from here to the Marshall Islands, making it too good a strategic target to pass up. The bulk of the enemy forces have turned their attention to North Africa, making this the best chance they'll have to break through.

Ingram gives us the rundown on Wake Island, which has a formidable battery of anti-ship cannons defending it - all of which, of course, are now under DC control. The Hagane can't approach without presenting itself as an easy target, so we'll have to deploy in fighters and PTs to take the emplacements out, allowing the ship to come in and suppress the base; the more maneuverable units (read: not a Gespenst or Schutzwald) should be able to avoid the cannon fire well enough to do the job. This isn't to say that the island will be helpless, as they still have the usual complement of Lions and AAA emplacements. Ryusei isn't entirely convinced, but Giado says that if assaulting the island is the only choice, they've just got to buckle down and get the job done. :black101:

Mission 11: Elemental Lord

The Hagane reaches minimum safe distance and launches units. Ryusei's just a bit daunted by the sheer number of enemies they're going to have to blast their way through, but Giado can't see why he's so surprised - the base would be a prime target for a MAPW without them. Ingram orders everyone to move in and prioritize the defensive emplacements.

At the same time, Tenzan gets word that the enemy has arrived; he gives the order to hold until the PTs get closer to base, keeping sub #21 on standby. His generic underling is flabbergasted that he's not deploying AMs to intercept, but Tenzan just bellows that it's more fun this way.

Objectives: KILL. Within 6 turns, for the battle mastery.

Our guys start out way down in the corner. The Hagane is actually stuck in its starting position; Daitetsu and Tetsuya can use their spirits and fire on anything that comes in range, but they don't even have a movement command. On the enemy side, in addition to the Lions, Sealions, and tanks, there's a new unit: the M-ADATs gun turret. They're a little bit heavier than the Lions, but their distinguishing feature is their long attack range, which we'll be experiencing firsthand in a minute. As you can see, there are a LOT of them to deal with, so unless help pops up unexpectedly we'll have our work cut out for us. In order to hit everything on the island in a timely manner I'm going to have my guys approach and split into two groups: Ryusei, Rai, Aya, and Irm go for the west side of the island, while Latooni, Giado, Garnet, and Ingram approach from the south.

Turn 1, enemy phase, and there's the M-ADATS' range in action. Not that it helps against the Wildraubtier, of course.

Yup. You'll see a lot of that on this mission.

The turrets really aren't all that dangerous. Here's how Latooni performs against them - remember that enemies were getting ~75% against her Gespenst on the previous mission.

I do like how the turrets have different attacks versus land/sea and flying enemies. Anyway, assume that all the enemy phases are filled with lots of attacks from these guys.

Turn 2; Aya asks Rai if he thinks it's strange; the enemy has superior numbers, but they're not pressing the advantage. He agrees, since they could reduce damage to their own base by intercepting them further out. But even if it is a trap, Ryusei says, they still have to get in there - the guns have to be destroyed!

We're close enough to make with the explosions.

:argh:

Latooni and Rai also get in range to damage the turrets.

Fragile as the Messers are, I don't really like the one-in-four odds, so I'm going to let Giado pick up Latooni's leftovers for an easy kill.

Luckily, Garnet has a much better dodge rate.

Oh COME ON!

Thankfully, Tetsuya is on hand to cast Trust and give her a full repair. It's not like he has anything better to do.

Enemy phase. A not-so-great thing about the Raubtier's flight mode is that the beam cannon only has a 4-square range. Anything outside of that gets AA or AG missiles instead.

They're not very impressive.

Rai, Ryusei, and Latooni finish off the rest of the M-ADATS on the little platforms.

The guys on the island are still ready to go, though.

Turn 3, here's the lay of the battlefield. Aya and Irm are really falling behind here.

Since the RNG evidently hates Garnet I have her give Latooni's mech some light repairs.

Time to get started on the tanks and Lions. Latooni leads off, as usual.

:sigh: Guess Giado gets to clean up again.

Welcome to the double-digit-level club, Giado! :toot:

Rai dispatches one of the Sealions and moves further out to sea. Unfortunately, Ryusei can't really do the same for the other two Sealions; he doesn't have a Screw Module equipped like Rai, so his beam cannon won't work on underwater targets.

These will do the trick, though.

Ryusei's move brought us close enough for whatever Tenzan wanted, and he gives the order for Killer Whale 21 to carry out its orders.

Yes, it was an ambush after all. :magical: The submarine launches an anti-ship missile at the Hagane, leaving it with the choice of getting hit or withdrawing without its allies. Daitetsu opts for the third option, ordering the PTs to continue their mission; the Hagane will shoot down the missile itself.

Seriously, that's not even hard. This was Tenzan's plan?

In any case, our objectives haven't changed - it's apparently just an ordinary missile, so no requirement to leave it at 10% health or anything similar. The main complication is just the addition of a 16000-HP submarine to kill on top of everything else (on Ryusei's side of the map, and which he can't really damage due to it being underwater).

Ingram heads over and pops the remaining Sealion Katina-style. Meanwhile, Irm and Aya are still trudging over TO the drat island.

Enemy phase; the Lions in the back finally start moving on us.

The tanks also start to open fire. Latooni doesn't luck out on her crits, and only one is in Ryusei's beam range, forcing him to use dinky missiles against everything else. Easy kills for somebody else to clean up next turn, though.

Ryusei is in range of a couple of these turrets, and manages to kill one with a lucky crit.

Rai goes to work on the Killer Whale.

Turn 3, and Eita reports an unknown contact approaching. It's the unknown from Antarctica, none too pleased after all the time he's been searching.

"It's... it's a...."
"What? It's a what?"
"It's AWESOME!!!"

With some exasperation, Rai reminds him that it's the same mech they saw before. Its pilot ignores them completely, instead zooming straight into the middle of the enemy base at top speed. Tenzan and the DCs don't know what to make of the intruder either; Tenzan thinks it might be one of Bian's new designs that he hasn't shown them yet. Tetsuya yells for the pilot to identify himself or he'll be tagged as an enemy; the unknown pilot just says he's trying to help.

In the cockpit, Shiro the cat says that he really ought to give a more detailed explanation than that, but Masaki says there's no time; he's got to do something about those cannons, pronto! The cats realize what he's planning to do, but their warnings to him fall on deaf ears.

"All right, let's do this! PSYFLASH!"

nooo my precious kills, experience, money, and pilot points :argh:

Everyone, friend and enemy alike, is appropriately awed by this display of overkill. The newcomer says he's done his part and heads inside the base to do... whatever he came for. Giado's dumbstruck by the sudden levels of :asoiaf: that have appeared, but Ingram and Daitetsu aren't planning on wasting the opportunity; with those cannons out of the way, it's time to finish the job.

Here's the tattered remnants of the DC garrison: the submarine and missile on the left, a cluster of tanks and Lions on the right, and one Lion in the middle that looks like it's making a break for the Hagane. Now that the threat of the cannons is gone, the Hagane can move again, but the mission will be over before it can do anything.

With nothing better to do, Ryusei doubles back and one-shots the missile.

Irm and Rai leave the sub one hit away from death.

Aya... :sigh:

Ingram takes advantage of his shotgun.

Latooni, Giado, and Garnet pick up easy kills. Garnet finally learns Focus.

Enemy phase, nothing of real note, although Ingram kills a tank.

Turn 4, Garnet casts Bless on Rai and he finishes off the sub for a hefty pile of cash.

Latooni and Aya kill off the last Lion and tank.

:toot:

I'd recognize that pustulent yellow paint job anywhere. TENZAN! :argh:

Tenzan is pissed that his game plan was ruined by some ganker. Masaki just wants to know where Shu is, but Tenzan says he doesn't know - Aidoneus Island, maybe? In any case, he has no intention of dying for a rock in the middle of the ocean, so he makes his escape - brushing off the protests of the base staff with a "Game over, pal!"

The battle for Wake Island seems to be won. As for the unknown mech, it hasn't made any hostile moves towards our people yet. The pilot curses his luck at Shu slipping through his fingers again - but at least he's getting closer.

"You. Identify yourself."
"Don't call me 'you.' It's Masaki. Masaki Ando."
"And what is that machine? It doesn't look like a Personal Trooper."
"That's 'cause it ain't. It's the Elemental Lord of Wind... it's called Psybuster."
"Elemental Lord? I haven't heard of that class before."
"Then try not to... forget it..."

Masaki is suddenly overcome with exhaustion, which is exactly what the cats were worried about; using the Psyflash consumed too much prana...

The unknown mech has been loaded onto the Hagane, and Tetsuya confirms that it's AGX-05, the same one that appeared at Antarctica. Nonetheless, it doesn't look anything like the confirmed Aerogater machines. On the subject of the base, the remaining DC troops have been sending out a distress signal; Daitetsu gives the order that they disarm before the Hagane will accept their surrender. In the meantime, the ship is taking advantage of the opportunity to resupply for the next leg of its journey. There's been remarkably little resistance from the enemy soldiers - possibly because of how abruptly their leader turned tail and ran. All it means is that the Divine Crusaders aren't invincible, and that they may have a chance of winning the war...

In the infirmary, Kusuha finishes bandaging Aya up (from... something :iiam:) and turns her attention to Ryusei, who's next in line. Ryusei complains that it's just a scratch and there's no need for the fuss - hell, if he licks it it'll heal on its own. Kusuha mutters that he's not a cat, prompting Aya to ask about Masaki's cats (who are sleeping on his bed at the moment). Ryusei wonders why any robot pilot would keep cats in the cockpit with him. Aya doesn't know if they can assume that their guest is from Earth, but Ryusei figures that "Masaki Ando" sounds like a Japanese name - and the Psybuster doesn't seem like the Aerogater machines they've seen. Rio comes in to check on Masaki's status, only to learn that he's still out.

Shiro is also still out, although Kuro is struggling valiantly to rouse him. The group hears the cats' voices, but can't figure out where they're coming from (Ryusei wonders if the infirmary is haunted). Rio finally follows the voices to Masaki's bed just in time for Shiro to wake up, and for both cats to freak out upon being discovered. Comic hijinks ensue.

Rio: "Th... the cats are talking...!"
Aya: "R-really?"
Ryusei: "No way... they make CAT ROBOTS?!" :allears:
Shiro: "We're not toys!"
Ryusei: "It understands me! But then... it's not a robot?"
Kusuha: "But how can a cat speak like a person?"
Shiro: "Oh, right. Surface cats can't talk. Um... meow?"
Kuro: "It's a bit late for that."
Rio: "What's going on here?!"

Masaki wakes up, to the cats' joy. He still seems disoriented, but upon hearing that he's on a Federation battleship, immediately leaps out of bed and runs out the door.

The Hagane is wrapping up its resupply stop; Robert says that while they haven't recovered any data or schematics for the DCs' armored modules, they have picked up some of their weapons, and it looks like they can be reconfigured for use by PTs. Tetsuya has uncovered something more troubling, however; examining the record of base transmissions revealed that at some point in the past few days, Wake received a message from the Far East Base. The date and subject have been wiped, but the security class was AAA - the commander class. Somebody at the Far East Base - Laker Randolph, Sakae Takanaka, or Hans Weber - has been in communication with the Divine Crusaders, and recently.

But which one could it possibly be? :confused:

Irm takes this time to share his own misgivings. The DC ace they've been fighting, Tenzan Nakajima, is a civilian, like Ryusei... and a world-class Burning PT player, also like Ryusei. Ingram fills Tetsuya and Daitetsu in on the game and its role in selecting gifted individuals. While the DCs wouldn't have direct access to the simulation data, it's possible that the information was leaked. This means a spy.

At this point Masaki barges into their meeting, demanding to talk to the ship's captain. He immediately recognizes Daitetsu's Pipe of Authority (tm) and asks for information about Bian. When Daitetsu asks why he wants to know, he readily volunteers that he knows Shu Shirakawa, who he came to the surface to find, is with him. This is a few too many coincidences to process all at once, but Ingram takes advantage of it anyway, suggesting that Masaki join forces with them for the time being. After all, the ship is headed for Aidoneus Island to destroy the forces that Bian Zoldark and Shu Shirakawa have amassed. Likewise, Psybuster's power will no doubt be of great aid to the Hagane. Daitetsu agrees, and meanwhile the cats talk Masaki into it along much the same lines (plus, Masaki has no sense of direction, making it unlikely that he'd even find Shu on his own in the first place.)

Oh, right. The cats are here too. Poor Tetsuya. In any case, Masaki is reluctant to accept the crew's offer, but realizes that he's probably out of his league at the moment. The deal made, Rio leads him (and the cats) out to escort him around the ship.

Irm still has his doubts, but Ingram reiterates that they need the firepower... and the valuable data they'll collect from it.

And that's another one down. Next time, we meet a cool spy woman.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

vibratingsheep posted:

Wikipedia to the rescue! Spes is the Roman goddess of hope, the counterpart of Elpis.

The thread always delivers.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
If the Wildraubtier was your first taste of power, Cybuster is the first meal. Or whatever. Point is, Cybuster owns.

And I love the talking cat hijinks :3:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I remember murdering my way through a lot of the missions in OG2 thanks to Masaki and his redonkulous post-movement Psyflash MAP. Most MAP weapons typically require you to use from a stationary position, but Cybuster's can be used on the go, making him good at softening up targets early or finishing off weakened enemies.

Now if only his accuracy were better. Good hit rates aren't exactly Masaki's thing if I recall correctly.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Rorahusky posted:

I remember murdering my way through a lot of the missions in OG2 thanks to Masaki and his redonkulous post-movement Psyflash MAP. Most MAP weapons typically require you to use from a stationary position, but Cybuster's can be used on the go, making him good at softening up targets early or finishing off weakened enemies.

Now if only his accuracy were better. Good hit rates aren't exactly Masaki's thing if I recall correctly.

I definitely recall Strike being a must on Cyflash, at least in the GBA games. From the LP so far I don't think OGs changed THAT much.

Pretty much always worth it of course. Cyflash is the best thing. Actually in general while the Wild Raubtier is a viable endgame unit for its dodge-tanking and general untouchableness against mook swarms, Cybuster is the first big gun you really get for Ryusei. Not the last (I think the next is in, what, two maps in fact?) but definitely the first.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Why "poor Tetsuya"? Is he allergic to cats or afraid of them?

Also, "mobile, cheap, non-teamkilling MAP weapon" has been Cybuster's main selling point since its first appearance all the way back in SRW2.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Tetsuya struggles with the whole "talking cats" thing far worse than anyone else, if I'm recalling correctly.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Wounded Land posted:

Why "poor Tetsuya"? Is he allergic to cats or afraid of them?
I mentioned earlier that I tend to see Tetsuya as a Captain Bright analogue. Whenever he thinks he's got some semblance of order on his bridge, some new kind of madcap antics pop up and he finishes the episode with a chicken sitting on his head.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The great thing about the Cybuster is that it attacks and has defenses like a super, but dodges like a real.
It's absolutely the crutch to lean on (if you want to) in the Ryusei route.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 17, 2014

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The great thing about the Cybuster is that it attacks and has defenses like a super, but dodges like a real.
It's absolutely the crutch to lean on (if you want to) in the Ryusei route.

:confused:
No objections on the Super level weaponry, but Cybuster has paper thin armour and HP? In game mechanics it's a real through and through, even if its a super in-universe (it runs on actual magic, for one).
Or did they nerf it in OG2?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Omobono posted:

No objections on the Super level weaponry, but Cybuster has paper thin armour and HP? In game mechanics it's a real through and through, even if its a super in-universe (it runs on actual magic, for one).

Nah, you're right. Cybuster hits like a truck but is made of tissue paper. Incredibly fast tissue paper.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Omobono posted:

OG really plays with the whole 'Reals = dodgey nickelanddimers, Supers = immobile tanks that hit like a mountain of trucks' dynamic that most people think of when it comes to Super vs Real. You'll have super dodgey Supers and Reals who are basically unkillable meatshields.

The line between them has become so blurred that you could think of any number of structured rules of what is a Super Robot and what is a Real Robot and people can point out at least a half a dozen exceptions to any rule you could make.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well on-paper The Cybuster beats out the Alt in all stats but armor, which it matches -~50 points.
In OG1 I never had to worry much about it, since it either dodged or lost about an 1/5 of HP.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well on-paper The Cybuster beats out the Alt in all stats but armor, which it matches -~50 points.
In OG1 I never had to worry much about it, since it either dodged or lost about an 1/5 of HP.

Yes, but on paper does Masaki match or beat out Kyosuke? The efficiency of a mech is only half based on the machine itself, with half being on the pilot. Since the Cybuster is locked to Masaki (and vice versa), his stats aren't exactly something you can just ignore.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

CmdrKing posted:

I definitely recall Strike being a must on Cyflash, at least in the GBA games. From the LP so far I don't think OGs changed THAT much.

Pretty much always worth it of course. Cyflash is the best thing. Actually in general while the Wild Raubtier is a viable endgame unit for its dodge-tanking and general untouchableness against mook swarms, Cybuster is the first big gun you really get for Ryusei. Not the last (I think the next is in, what, two maps in fact?) but definitely the first.

Yeah, Masaki's not too accurate. Goes with his sense of direction. Though if they haven't changed it up for OGS, he only has Focus right now since he gets Strike last, and for a hefty SP cost at that. Focus should generally cut it against mooks, but it makes bosses kind of annoying.

Pretty sure the next big break for Ryusei and pals is coming when we see them again. The game finally stops making you gently caress around with a team of all Gespensts and you start getting real power about now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Defense wise theres a ~20 difference. With Kyo having the higher.

Anyways It wont reach Grungust levels of Tanky survival (not much can) but at least it can match the Alt while having the formers damage output.

Also a Map weapon. Which is always a plus.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 17, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Thing is, the Alt isn't exactly a tank either.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

BlitzBlast posted:

Thing is, the Alt isn't exactly a tank either.

Yep, the alt is what happens when a mad scientist lady goes, "How about I just keep piling on weapons on this mech, that will surely work.)

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Have to admit; at first, Tenzan was just annoying, but he managed to really take things to another level by laughing at a comrade's dead family. I'm starting to think that he's an internet troll that uses gaming strictly to annoy and insult people.

He's such an rear end in a top hat that he's kinda becoming fun to watch.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AtomikKrab posted:

Yep, the alt is what happens when a mad scientist lady goes, "How about I just keep piling on weapons on this mech, that will surely work.)

Then Kyosuke goes "It's perfect :911:" and he makes it work. Somehow.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
In the OGverse, really, there's such a huge variety of machines with such varying function that the real dividing line between a real and a super is...well, whether it looks like one. Of course there's some that straddle the line. The Huckebeins are unarguably more Gundam than many actual Gundams but the very last Hucky is basically every fanfiction mary sue mech to the point where I refuse to believe it doesn't invoke that on purpose.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

Nah, you're right. Cybuster hits like a truck but is made of tissue paper. Incredibly fast tissue paper.
And what's even more hilarious is that we'll meet a similar unit in OG2 with equal speed (if not more) and hits fairly hard, but with a defense stat that would make both Cybuster and Gundam Wing's infamous Leo look like brick shithouses.

That said, Cybuster also leads into something that is a surprising rarity in OG: MAP attacks, let alone post-movement MAPs. As mentioned before, Cyflash is going to be a loving godsend in the games and if you're not using it, you are hurting yourself. But, a couple of units who used to have MAP attacks in previous games no longer have them in their OG counterparts (we're a long way away until we get to the second MAP user, for reference). For instance, the R-1's Boosted Rifle was once a MAP attack, and now it's an equipable weapon that practically anyone can use. Then again, you could make a huge list of stuff from older games that have been whacked hard with a nerf bat to work in the OG universe.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

The Huckebeins are unarguably more Gundam than many actual Gundams but the very last Hucky is basically every fanfiction mary sue mech to the point where I refuse to believe it doesn't invoke that on purpose.

Isn't that the one that's made entirely out of Bits with energy blades in them?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AradoBalanga posted:

That said, Cybuster also leads into something that is a surprising rarity in OG: MAP attacks, let alone post-movement MAPs. As mentioned before, Cyflash is going to be a loving godsend in the games and if you're not using it, you are hurting yourself. But, a couple of units who used to have MAP attacks in previous games no longer have them in their OG counterparts (we're a long way away until we get to the second MAP user, for reference). For instance, the R-1's Boosted Rifle was once a MAP attack, and now it's an equipable weapon that practically anyone can use. Then again, you could make a huge list of stuff from older games that have been whacked hard with a nerf bat to work in the OG universe.

Oh God, we left out the best part: Cyflash is not only a MAP Weapon, which is already awesome (and a huge one at that), but it's Post-Movement (which is proportionally as rare among MAP Weapons as MAP Weapons are in general) and it doesn't have friendly fire (which exists on maybe 5-7 units TOTAL over the entire history of Super Robot Wars).

Cybuster is ridiculously good.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Well it was Banpresto's first OG unit so they had to make it ridiculously good so players would want to use it over the several dozen Gundams the mainline games throw at you.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Also, it may or may not have been created because Banpresto couldn't get a license for Dunbine at the time, hence all the amazingly coincidental similarities between the two.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Wounded Land posted:

Also, it may or may not have been created because Banpresto couldn't get a license for Dunbine at the time, hence all the amazingly coincidental similarities between the two.

Personally I sort of doubt that was the case. Super Robot Wars 2 was still heavily structured around The Big Three mecha series (Mazinger/Getter/Gundam, although Grendizer did get theme music all to itself for some reason) and Dunbine seems like an odd fourth choice - especially since after doing so, Masaki's story wasn't really explored at all until SRW EX... which had Dunbine in it.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Gyra_Solune posted:

The Huckebeins are unarguably more Gundam than many actual Gundams but the very last Hucky is basically every fanfiction mary sue mech to the point where I refuse to believe it doesn't invoke that on purpose.

I hope we get an eventual LP of OGs2 just so everyone at large can "appreciate" the Clusterfuckebein in all its Do Not Steal glory.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Shaezerus posted:

I hope we get an eventual LP of OGs2 just so everyone at large can "appreciate" the Clusterfuckebein in all its Do Not Steal glory.

It's pretty much one of the first things I plan to do if/when I ever get a capture card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Shaezerus posted:

I do like its previous unupgraded form, though, it's one of the most effective patchwork mechs yet is so stylish in how it just looks like it has superweapons hastily bolted on it. Sadly it then gets cleaned up and upgraded and loses a lot of its charm.

• Locked thread