Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Seyser, you called Ingram Irm once in the update. (ctrl+f "crapton")

I've always found it weird that no one seems to openly speculate "hey maybe there's some greater plan" during this portion, instead of repeatedly going "HMM HOW STRANGE." It'd be fine if there were fewer stages, but with the game the length it is, the characters seem really dumb on both routes.

AradoBalanga posted:

I swear, if Kusuha was evil enough, she could easily turn her drinks into biological weapons.

They are biological weapons, they're just targeted at microbes and nutritional deficiencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HAH

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Einander posted:

Seyser, you called Ingram Irm once in the update. (ctrl+f "crapton")

So I did! Fixed.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

If you think that's weird, in Divine Wars, Ingram's VA decides the best way to express intense stomach pain is to sound like he's having a giant orgasm (skip to 1:20 for Ingram's part).

I was going to link that if nobody else did. Such a funny scene. They may be a motley crew meant to take on impossible missions, but they know when a threat is beyond them.

Also, is that guy at the end of the video Russel? I've seen that video several times, and it never occurred to me that it might be. I guess most of the time I forget his existence if Katina isn't around.

precto
Oct 21, 2010

The quality of the anime sometimes delivers good things.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Einander posted:

I've always found it weird that no one seems to openly speculate "hey maybe there's some greater plan" during this portion, instead of repeatedly going "HMM HOW STRANGE." It'd be fine if there were fewer stages, but with the game the length it is, the characters seem really dumb on both routes.

They don't have Sanger there to remind them after every stage that the TRUE BATTLE has yet to be revealed.

precto posted:

The quality of the anime sometimes delivers good things.

That's avatar-worthy, right there.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I barely made the battle mastery on that mission, Dr. Evil there kicked my out of sp rear end, it came down to irm going basically one on one with him for 3 turns to get me it. (I had no upgrades he was trashed at the end, like 1k hp left on irm.)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Montegoraon posted:

Also, is that guy at the end of the video Russel? I've seen that video several times, and it never occurred to me that it might be. I guess most of the time I forget his existence if Katina isn't around.
Nah, that's just Soldier A cosplaying as Russel.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Russel is basically Generic Soldier Sprite but without a helmet on, after all.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

I barely made the battle mastery on that mission, Dr. Evil there kicked my out of sp rear end, it came down to irm going basically one on one with him for 3 turns to get me it. (I had no upgrades he was trashed at the end, like 1k hp left on irm.)

Yeah, knowing what's coming and when is a not-insignificant factor in getting the masteries. So is SP management, since you're usually on a time limit and can't sit around waiting for SP Regen to do its thing. Upgrading your better reals so that they don't need to use Focus to survive, and then having your weaker reals pick off the low-health leftovers without getting counterattacked, lets you get by without casting many spirits.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Doctor ZOLDARK. He's a pretty fun villain, I think. If anything, he should show up in more SRW stuff.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Dr. Egret's gonna be more fun. For reasons that will span across the entire OG series.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
I don't know why but Kusuha's sad face after everyone left the room was really funny to me. Its just this: :( personified.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Valsion's BGM is very repetitive but I'll be damned if it doesn't fit how the thing looks like an overdesigned 80's OVA final boss.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Digital Jello posted:

Dr. Egret's gonna be more fun. For reasons that will span across the entire OG series.
Too bad he's part of one the messiest retcons in the series, though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

GimmickMan posted:

The Valsion's BGM is very repetitive but I'll be damned if it doesn't fit how the thing looks like an overdesigned 80's OVA final boss.

Sounds about right, given the origins of the Valsion.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It's a super sazabi.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I like the way they turned the vague "can't be hurt by ranged attacks" attribute Valsion (and a few other units) had in SRW2 into a proper superbarrier.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did Kusuha have a tragic childhood accident where she lost her sense of taste?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Glazius posted:

She probably just never actually tastes what she cooks. It's a common flaw in anime girls who concoct hideous abominations instead of food.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

If Alpha 3 is anything to go by, Kusuha is a decent cook. It's just that she really, really wants to add the content of her health drink to many dishes and those ingredients are....a thing in their own right.

It got so bad that Bullet directly intervenes in stopping Kusuha from putting her health drink ingredients into a birthday cake mix by totally ruining the cake.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That said, no matter how horrible her health drinks might be, no matter if they knock out the people that drink them, no matter if they cause trauamtic memories for the rest of their lives, there's no doubt that they work. Just look at how strong Masaki was after one!

Can't complain with results. Make those health drinks equippable items, I'll give one to everyone.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Can't complain with results. Make those health drinks equippable items, I'll give one to everyone.
And then none of your units can act for the first two turns of the map? :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

FredMSloniker posted:

She probably just never actually tastes what she cooks. It's a common flaw in anime girls who concoct hideous abominations instead of food.

Doesn't she actually like them?
But the best part of the joke, as other have said, is that her drinks actually work. It's just that you have to be proactive and chug them half an hour in advance, to have time to recover from the immediate KO.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Omobono posted:

Doesn't she actually like them?
But the best part of the joke, as other have said, is that her drinks actually work. It's just that you have to be proactive and chug them half an hour in advance, to have time to recover from the immediate KO.

Or be one of the insane few who can take it and keep on going.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route, Mission 13

I still can't believe Bullet is in second. :psyduck:

No upgrades this time, but I give that Solar Panel from the end of Mission 12 to Viletta. By the end of the mission I'll be wishing I'd given it to Tasuku instead.

The Moon Cradle may be safe, but it'd be a mistake to say that things are looking up. Ceres base in the Hadley Valley has gone silent, and it's safe to say that they've been overrun. Meanwhile, Cerevis City is encircled by colonial forces, although they haven't attacked yet. It's doubtful that we can expect any reinforcements from Earth at this point. Lefina quietly acknowledges all of this; then Sean asks her what their next course of action should be. Do they hide here, in the Moon Cradle, and hope that things settle down? Perhaps stake everything on a final assault on Elpis Colony, and go out in a blaze of glory? Lefina says she needs some time to think, and exits the bridge.

Ring thinks Sean may have been just a little too harsh with her. He concedes the point, but doesn't see much option; an indecisive commander will lower the morale of the troops. Lefina must find her resolve. Ring still argues that she may be too young to bear such a burden, but Sean is unmoved; he and Daitetsu Minase endured far greater trials in the past and still overcame. And this is only the Earth sphere; how will she fare when confronted with the troubles of an entire solar system - and beyond, given that the Hiryu was meant to explore the galaxy?

One way or the other, if Lefina can't act decisively under pressure, she has to be replaced with somebody more capable. Hearing this, Eun says she has something she has to do and exits the bridge, Sean's reminders that she's still on duty notwithstanding. The XO grumbles about the lack of discipline, but Ring is silently amused, sensing that this is exactly what he'd hoped for.

In the captain's quarters...

(I've been doing my best, until now... But it doesn't seem like it's ever enough. I don't know if I can continue as captain...)

"Captain..."
"C-Corporal Eun... What is it?"
"I was worried about you, Captain."
"You don't have to call me that when we're alone. You're a year older than me... and we were classmates at the Academy."
"Then I'll say this as your classmate... I know it's been hard for you, but don't you think it's unfair to run away from this?"
"...!"
"Yes, the ship's crew is green. We all are. But we've fought so hard together until now. After all of that, are you going to be the one to run out on your duty?"

"....."
"I have to return to the bridge. I apologize if I was impertinent, Captain."
"....."

In the hangar, Gilliam looks over the prototype of the mass-produced Huckebein. (Mass-produced prototype? Is that a thing?) Unit 1 should be safe; Unit 2 was given to the colonial authority, while Unit 3 is being tested by the Federation. Gilliam notes that they're using the MP Gespensts' parts in this unit. Yuan is impressed, saying that Gilliam lives up to his reputation, but Gilliam just wants to know if the choice was merely to keep costs down, or to prevent another accident. Yuan concedes that it was the latter; they've done all they could to prevent the tragedy of the Mark I.

Radha requests that this unit be transferred to the Hiryu; there's a pilot who may have the aptitude for its system. They should be able to make full use of the mech, if the link is disabled. Yuan agrees to bring the request to Ring, although he doesn't know if she'll agree.

Kyosuke silently watches this exchange. Playful as always, Excellen asks him if he's worried, now that the Alt will have some competition. He plays along, saying that it's Dr. Radom's main competition for the next major PT, so of course he had to come check it out. Mentioning Marion dampens the mood a bit, and Excellen asks if he thinks she's all right. He thinks that since Master Rishu is with her, they've probably pulled through - or at least, he'd like to believe that much. Further conversation is interrupted by Russell, who's come looking for them; the Captain is making an announcement.

With everybody gathered in the briefing room, Lefina begins. She trusts they're all aware of the current state of things. With Ceres Base and Mao Industries under enemy control, they have little hope of defeating the colonial military. This sends a few murmurs of disapproval through the crew; is she going to suggest that they surrender? Instead she announces that they can't simply remain hidden in the Moon Cradle; perhaps they can't win the war singlehandedly, but what can they accomplish with their one ship?

To Lefina's thinking, the answer is simple: they have to retake Columna Space Station. It's the nerve center for satellite communications; with a Net Worm of their own, they can regain control of the satellites the colonies seized, striking a blow against their enemies while also restoring some of the Federation's lost capabilities. Sean watches approvingly, thinking that in the end, she's made the best decision possible.

Still, Lefina won't claim that this is going to be simple. Columna was a major prize for the enemy, and they'll be guarding it well. Tasuku wonders how much luck they'll need to pull this off, though Bullet seems willing to go along with it if it has a chance of success.

"Well, whatever. Hey, Excellen, you wanna make a bet?"
"On what? My heart? My, aren't you the daring one?"
"Not that! I'm talking about this operation!"

"I'll take you up on that bet. It's not like we haven't done this before."
"Uh, really, Lieutenant? Okay, but... which side are you betting on?"
"The long shot, of course."
"drat. Talk about losing my shirt..."
"What's that supposed to mean?"

Lefina tells Viletta and Radha that as civilians, they should stay behind at the Moon Cradle, but Viletta refuses straight out; they're going to need all hands on deck, and besides, they have the kind of technical expertise the group will need once they reach Columna. Additionally, Radha still hasn't fully conveyed the wonders of yoga to the crew... this sends a little chill down Excellen's spine. Sean has to thank them for their service, bringing two more lovely flowers to the Hiryu - despite her newfound resolve, Lefina still can't seem to rein in her XO.

Radha takes Bullet aside, asking for a word. He doesn't think he's flexible enough for yoga, though she says he doesn't have to be scared... :gonk:

Mission 13: Vanishing Trooper

The departure seems to be going smoothly, when Yuan says he has a request: once they've retaken Columna, can Lefina transmit a message for him? At first she assumes it's some sort of classified document - but no, it's just a message for his daughter Rio. Ring comments that he's quite the overprotective father. While they're on the subject, Yuan suggests that she might like to send a message to Irmgard Kazahara... but she insists that it's not necessary.

Excellen: "Ooh, what's this? Does the President have a secret boyfriend?"
Yuan: "Yes."
Ring: "Director!"
Yuan: "But there's been an affair, and now they're not speaking to one another."
Excellen: "That's a bit more than I wanted to know..."
Kyosuke: "Excellen, try not to annoy the VIPs."

Yuan tries to hint that maybe it's time Ring forgave her boyfriend. She refuses, saying that if she goes easy on him, he's just going to get worse. Yuan thinks that all he did was have tea with a female employee...

Ring wishes the Hiryu good fortune, while Yuan tells Viletta and Radha to take care. Then Eun picks up enemy forces descending on the Moon Cradle - they've detected the ship's departure.

Bullet hasn't launched with the rest of the units. Russell noticed that Radha was talking to him, and it looks like she's not here either. Excellen asks if we're seeing a battlefield romance in the making, but Katina just scoffs and says that she's probably tying him up in yoga-knots at that moment. (Russell thinks that's the more likely of the two.)

Judging by the numbers, Sean guesses that there will be additional waves of enemies coming for them shortly. They're trying to slow the group down until the bulk of their force arrives - which means the Hiryu doesn't have time to wait. Lefina announces that we have six minutes to vacate the area; with the enemies likely concentrating their fire on the Hiryu, it'll be on the PTs to clear a path.

Why 6 minutes and not 5 or 7? :confused:

Objectives. The Hiryu Kai has to reach the target point within 6 turns, or it's game over. Getting the battle mastery requires killing everything on the way (like we weren't going to do that anyway :black101:).

And the map. Same battlefield as last time, slightly different layout. Initial enemy forces are nothing special: some three Rangzen fighters (i.e. one shot and they're dead) in the middle, with Cosmolions on the left and mixed Cosmos and Cosmo-Fs on the right. Zooming out, we can see the target zone at the far edge of the map; getting the mastery should end the mission automatically, although you can't always count on missions to do that for you because the game can be a dick sometimes.

The Moon Cradle gives us a nice 25% defensive/evasion bonus (as well as a 10% regen, but we'll hardly need that so early in the mission). Better still, it doesn't slow us down when we move over it. I have Katina lead off against the Cosmos on the left.

Good start.

Viletta, Tasuku, and Excellen pick off a Rangzen each. Those fighters haven't exactly made a good showing of themselves on this playthrough. Tasuku parks closest to the Cosmos we haven't engaged yet for morale-building purposes.

Everybody else brings up the rear.

Enemy phase: :laugh: x5

Followed by :black101: x2.

Turn 2, 5 minutes left. People in the rear move forward, while people in range start softening up the remaining Cosmos. I'm trying to spread the kills out a bit more, since Kyosuke has around 10 missions left to get the remaining 15ish kills he needs for the secret. Also on the secrets horizon are Gilliam and Viletta, who both need to be at a pretty high level by Mission 20. In any case, Viletta kills one here while the other four remain alive.

Enemy phase, another pack of Cosmos arrives near the target point. Looks like Sean's assessment of the enemy's strategy was on the mark, so we need to keep up the pace.

Tasuku smacks around the rest of the initial enemies, but he's doing fine in the morale department so I only actually have him kill one. The newcomers don't move at all.

Turn 3, 4 minutes left.

Viletta, Russell, and Lefina kill off the last three of the initial enemies as they push forward.

Everybody else moves up. Kyosuke can just reach the closest enemy with his autocannon.

Tasuku tries to finish the job, but whiffs. :argh:

Enemy phase, and we have more enemy reinforcements: five (twitch) Barrelions. Tasuku gripes about how the enemies keep coming, but being at a disadvantage doesn't mean we can stop fighting.

The Cosmolion reinforcements actually go past everybody to attack the Hiryu. Two of them can't quite reach, so they go for Kyosuke instead. You can guess how that works out for them.

The Barrels split their fire between Kyosuke and Tasuku. Kyosuke can't fire back at this range, but Tasuku has enough morale to use his long-range attack at this point.

:laugh:

Turn 4, 3 minutes remaining.

Katina beats up a Barrel, but gets walloped in return. She really needs some survivability.

Russell kills a Cosmo and gains a level of Prevail. He's using a shotgun too, by the way. Can you tell?

Kyosuke, Tasuku, and Viletta kick around a couple of Barrelions.

Lefina and Excellen finish off the Cosmos; everybody else gets as close as they can.

Enemy phase, and we get even more fun: a new type of enemy battleship. Two of them, in fact. And they're surrounding the target point no they're not, it's five spaces long and there's two of them. If they can contain us here, the enemies will be able to focus a lot of fire on our position - so there's no option but to destroy them as quickly as possible.

Eun suddenly reports that the PT catapult has been activated.

It's the Huckebein Mk. II, operational ahead of schedule. Bullet's having a little trouble keeping it balanced - according to Radha, even without a Tesla Drive, its mobility rivals the Weissritter, so he'll have to use controlled movements. Excellen realizes that Radha's in the cockpit with him ("Bullet, NO! Ms. Browning doesn't allow that sort of behavior in her class!").

A more pressing concern for Tasuku and Russell is how they managed to get two people into the cockpit. Bullet, looking just a bit concerned, asks if Radha's going to be all right in that pose; she assures him that she's very flexible. That doesn't stop the sight from freaking him out, though...

Radha's in the cockpit to help him, though, and says to close his eyes and meditate; become one with the machine. He does, and suddenly feels... something. The enemy's movements? Viletta thinks that it was right to send the ATX team a Gespenst-TT; Bullet's powers are starting to show themselves.

Anyway, back to the action. Kyosuke and Excellen put down three of the Barrelions.

Unfortunately, Katina is the closest unit to the newcomers, and we're introduced to the Rhinoceros-class land battleship, which has 25000 HP and a very nasty ramming attack (which it thankfully doesn't use this mission). With her at half health already, I'm not taking any chances and just have her defend.

That's not good, especially since there's another one...

...but somehow she dodges a 91% hit. Phew.

Turn 5, two minutes left; Lefina uses Trust to fill up Katina's health again; Russel picks up a little experience by doing some quick repair work on the Hiryu Kai (very little, it's less than 100).

I don't really want Katina taking another hit from the Rhinos, so I have her Valor up and bank an attack off of the adjacent Barrelion.

That works out pretty well.

At this point I realize that with Radha off the field, I don't have anybody who can use Bless - which means that if I want to load up on cash while killing the Rhinos, Tasuku or the Hiryu will have to do the job (since Tasuku and Sean can cast Luck.)

Gilliam pops the last Barrelion, while everybody else wears down the Rhinos. We all have enough morale to use big attacks at this point, so Kyosuke's got his claymores, Tasuku's using Giga Uragano, Viletta has Metal Destroyer...

The Huckebein Mk. II doesn't get to show off much due to the mission being almost over already, but I can't not show off the G-Impact Cannon on its debut episode. Normally it has a morale requirement, but Bullet launched with around 130 morale already.

The whole take-one-shot-with-a-weapon-deployed-by-rocket thing seems a bit weird, but we can't argue with a giant phallic gun.

Enemy phase; the Rhinos get countered by Kyosuke and Tasuku, leaving them both ripe for killing on the last turn.

Turn 6, and Lefina needlessly reminds us that we have one minute left and have to hurry. Not to worry, we've got this covered.

In fact, we'll let Lefina do the honors herself.

That cannon has no business not being a dynamic kill. :colbert:

Tasuku's almost out of energy, but still doesn't have any problem using Sheath Thunder to finish the other ship off.

With the enemies destroyed, the path is clear; we're getting out of here.

Tasuku congratulates Bullet for saving the day with his new mech (not really...), although he attributes his success to Radha's help. Katina, on the other hand, tells him that he ought to watch himself with the Huckebein. They ask what she means, and she's only too happy to share: the mech's predecessor, the Mk. I, was equipped with EOT - something called the Black Hole Engine. Tasuku thinks that sounds like trouble, and it was; the machine went haywire during a test and wiped out an entire facility. Its test pilot survived, but with severe injuries, and ever since then the Huckebein's been nicknamed the "Vanishing Trooper."

Anyway, if Bullet's intimidated by the Huckebein's history, Katina will be happy to take it off his hands - the danger excites her. Tasuku thinks Katina piloting a mech that's liable to explode sounds like a great idea (and then has to walk it back just as quickly). Bullet, however, says that he's going to keep using it until he's mastered it - so that they can all get through this alive. Seeming actually impressed, Katina says that with an attitude like that, he should be fine.

Although I'm tempted to take him out and put Katina in it anyway, given that it's a very ranged-oriented mech and he's a very melee-oriented pilot. On the other hand, his Gespenst-TT is crap. Anyway, this mission was basically a simple story and a lot of easy kills, which was a nice little change of pace after Ryusei's last mission (and his next one.)

Next time: :btroll::btroll::btroll::btroll::btroll::btroll::btroll::btroll:

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 10, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I now can't unsee the Hiryu Kai having a grumpy fish face.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

FredMSloniker posted:

I now can't unsee the Hiryu Kai having a grumpy fish face.

It's the barracuda of the Federation navy.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, Bullet now has his Gravity Phallus Cannon! Which oddly enough, Excellen makes very few jokes about.

Okay, in all seriousness, the Huckebein is a welcome upgrade for Bullet, even if Bullet is a more melee-focused pilot. Although, I never understood why the player is not given Radha as a support pilot for Bullet in this stage. The setup is perfect for that to happen, and we are denied it. No, Radha being in a difficult yoga pose does not qualify as an excuse to not have her as a sub-pilot. Like Seyser, I too want access to her Bless spirit command on this stage, game. :argh:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You do, in fact, prototype something before mass-producing it. That's the point of prototyping - to get the design down and get all the bugs out before the thing actually goes into mass production.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm voting for never giving Bullet anything good, ever. (switch him and Katina, you know you want to)

Mors Rattus posted:

You do, in fact, prototype something before mass-producing it. That's the point of prototyping - to get the design down and get all the bugs out before the thing actually goes into mass production.

All the bugs like exploding when you turn it on.

But yeah, the Hucky Mk II is pretty cool. It's a Gundam with a paint job and a gently caress-off cannon, nothing wrong with that. It's got nice grunt-sweeping options with the Photon Rifle and the Chakram Caster, and a decent enough finisher with the G-Impact Cannon. It's better than a lot of other things you get.

Plus, Vanishing Trooper is an awesome theme song.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Man, even when you're trying to be cool guy you're a complete dork Bullet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mors Rattus posted:

It's awkward because these sorts of futuristic animes like to equate 'mass produced' with 'bullshit mook, aching to be killed in droves'. But prototypes are immortal and, given the right motivation, can change time itself. So the misunderstanding doesn't come from the realities of the manufacturing process, it comes from attempting to be genre-savvy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Coolguye posted:

It's awkward because these sorts of futuristic animes like to equate 'mass produced' with 'bullshit mook, aching to be killed in droves'. But prototypes are immortal and, given the right motivation, can change time itself. So the misunderstanding doesn't come from the realities of the manufacturing process, it comes from attempting to be genre-savvy.

I think in the case of Mecha anime the idea is always "The Prototype is the company throwing all of our funds into making a mecha. And then, hoping to impress the buyer (The Federation) we can then produce scaled down versions of the prototype."

I mean this is bonkers design philosophy, But it plays upon the idea that you can present them the penis cannon, the frame, the T-Link system etc. And they can say "... Okay well we like the idea, if you can make it cost effective we'll buy it." And then they just strip out all the costy poo poo and make the unit 'variable' and in the case of the Mk.II A feature that's almost better than the penis cannon.

And bam.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
In the case of Marion's stuff, it's also being designed by a person whose idea of "next generation robot" is (if the Alt is any indication) "cram armor and weapons onto it until it's about to fall over, then counterbalance it with more armor and more weapons." It's safe to say anything she's involved with changes considerably between prototype and final.

(The Weissritter is a custom unit and is therefore spared the bulk of her madness.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Einander posted:

In the case of Marion's stuff, it's also being designed by a person whose idea of "next generation robot" is (if the Alt is any indication) "cram armor and weapons onto it until it's about to fall over, then counterbalance it with more armor and more weapons." It's safe to say anything she's involved with changes considerably between prototype and final.

(The Weissritter is a custom unit and is therefore spared the bulk of her madness.)

Marion is essentially an eccentric. She works for Tesla-Liecht the SUPER ROBOT Guys. She is not in this to produce the most cost efficient, mass producable, next generation machine. She's in this to create the best thing that she can, and expecting the pilots to get good and the Federationt to suck it up and pay for it. AND SHE'S IN IT TO DO IT WITH GOOD OLD HUMAN TECHNOLOGY drat IT! None of this EOT bullshit that the others are using, If she's gonna make something you better believe it's with good old fashion HUMAN made science bullshit.

Which of course makes her a wonderful fit for the Assault Trooper eXperimetal Team. In comparison, we haven't met him but Kirk Hamil who uses EOT is a perfect fit for the Super Robot eXperimental Team.

And of course, Ring, Irm and Ingram were all members of the Personal Trooper eXperimental Team.

Also speaking of Ring Mao, I previously summed her up as basically the Sayaka to Irms Kouji. I should qualify that, she's Sayaka if Sayaka was a complete badass and not at all satisfied with playing second fiddle to Kouji. Irm, as it's obvious to see, became a career soldier who never advanced far because hey he never wanted to play politics. Ring on the other hand decided, "I'm going to be the better pilot, I'm going to start my own company and make the next generation of Personal Trooper that we bloody spent our lives testing and I'm going to do it on my own." and she did. And if you check her spirits (we'll see them much later) she's got half a support set, to aid others.

So Ring in short? Really loving cool. I deploy her whenever she's avaliable, which wont be in OG1 unfortunatly. It's her ride you see.

People don't like it when she takes it for spin

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radha is about as much of a stereotype as the average Punchout character, isn't she?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I have met actual Indian women who look and dress like her, minus the yoga. It's not like she's supposed to be an American Indian and they had her going around in face paint and a feather headdress.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Seyser Koze posted:

I have met actual Indian women who look and dress like her, minus the yoga. It's not like she's supposed to be an American Indian and they had her going around in face paint and a feather headdress.

I think the fact that her personality appears to be 'meditation and yoga' is more stereotypical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Hellioning posted:

I think the fact that her personality appears to be 'meditation and yoga' is more stereotypical.

She is rather stereotypical in that regard, though I don't mind. She's a minor character who's main purpose in the game is to fill out the ranks and give you a support character to use. Support characters amongst the Banpresto Originals tend to be rather few and far between, since in your typical SRT game, the only Banpresto Originals there are is generally the Main Character, potentially his lifemate or co-pilot, and the enemies you fight. Not a whole lot of room there for a support character who has their own machine and isn't a dedicated co-pilot for the main character only.

Same reason why we have brand new Banpresto Originals created just for OG to serve as battleship captains. Most other SRT games simply use canon anime characters in that regard and save the actual originals for Main Hero/Villain. Granted, there are a few exceptions (the crew of the Valstork for example).

• Locked thread