Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alacron posted:

But Siebel looks decidedly uncleaved? :confused:
I HAVE SMOTE THE EVIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

I had always assumed that Radha's deal was that she was some magical Yoga Master that could just do inexplicable things because of yoga, the same way Dhalsim could.

Video games taught me bad racial stereotypes. :saddowns:

Being able to breathe fire, teleport, and smack people from across the screen is an awesome racial stereotype. :colbert:

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Oh Sanger. I don't like you much, but you do some great things once in a while. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sanger does kind of have a point, though. All this trap bullshit is probably against the Space Geneva Convention.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

Sanger does kind of have a point, though. All this trap bullshit is probably against the Space Geneva Convention.

There's a very good reason for his being so pissed off (aside from the obvious), but as usual it's just been hinted at and won't get a full explanation until much later. :sigh:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Siebel makes a good badguy, though. He's simplistic, promotes dirty tactics, has a complete disregard for human life, and without a backstory (read: being born evil), no one has to feel sorry for him when the goodguys beat him down. Sometimes it's the old school villain stereotypes that make things entertaining. Besides, if all the DC antagonists were as self-righteous as Zoldark and Branstein, it would be boring. That said, Sanger needs to smote him more :colbert:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Oh yeah, he's a great bad guy, I don't think anyone is actually denying that. It's just that Sanger is remiss in his duty by punching him instead of reporting Siebel's war crimes so he can be appropriately punished. :colbert:

On the other hand the EFA is using child soldiers so maybe no one actually bothered to ratify the Space Geneva Convention.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

Oh yeah, he's a great bad guy, I don't think anyone is actually denying that. It's just that Sanger is remiss in his duty by punching him instead of reporting Siebel's war crimes so he can be appropriately punished. :colbert:

On the other hand the EFA is using child soldiers so maybe no one actually bothered to ratify the Space Geneva Convention.

It's a mecha franchise. Child soldiers are not banned by ANYONE.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ImpAtom posted:

It's a mecha franchise. Child soldiers are not banned by ANYONE.
Hell, if at least one of your giant robots isn't being piloted by a literal 8-year old, you're probably in a tragedy series (and should thus expect all of them to die horribly).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hell, if at least one of your giant robots isn't being piloted by a literal 8-year old, you're probably in a tragedy series (and should thus expect all of them to die horribly).

Somebody hasn't watched Zambot 3

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dr Pepper posted:

Some people believe Yoshiyuki Tomino's nickname of "Kill Em' All" comes from Gundam or Ideon. They are wrong.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

The main character in that is 12, so nobody is safe. :pseudo:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure Ideon did one better by blowing the heads off of preschoolers.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ryusei Route, Mission 17

I'm not going to lie; this mission was a partial clusterfuck. I tried to be super clever and exploit my foreknowledge of what was going to be happening, and the whole thing kind of blew up in my face and made me look like an idiot. But I did get through with zero deaths and the battle mastery, so I guess... that's something?

As planned, Ryoto goes in the Raubtier. Rio gets to take over his Lion, and Aya goes back in her old Gespenst-TT.

Additionally, because Rai's going to be the focus target for a boss on this mission and I want him to be able to dodge things, I swap him into the Huckebein 009. Having Latooni in the Schutzwald is far from ideal, but with Assail she should be able to contribute for a mission.

None of this works the way I intend.

Additionally, I put a couple decent weapons on the Lion so that Rio can actually do stuff after moving. On the pilot skills front, I pick up Revenge for Rai, Attacker for Ryusei and Irm, and SP Regen for Garnet and Tetsuya.

Elzam reports that the Hagane has crossed the Divine Crusaders' fifth defensive line, and is now only 1232 kilometers out. Adler figures that at this rate, the ship will be upon them in no time, and begs for permission to launch another strike against it. Instead, Bian turns to Elzam; he orders him to take Tempest and the Last Battalion and "lead the Hagane before me."

Elzam gives his acknowledgement and leaves, while Adler wonders if he heard that right. Apparently so; Bian next orders him to place the entire island on full alert - and to have the third ship prepared for launch.

"Hmhmhmm... the Hagane's come this far. More and more, I want their power..."

Almost there.

The Hagane crew meets for their briefing on the assault. Ryusei's glad to see the decisive battle fast approaching; Giado brings up that "9.7 percent" success figure from a few missions back, but by this point everybody is ready to face the odds - at least it's not zero. Tetsuya proceeds with the briefing. The Hagane will submerge and activate its stealth mode, proceed to Elysium Bay at Aidoneus, and then surface and fire the Tronium Buster Cannon, obliterating the enemy fortress.

Ryusei leans over to Robert to ask about the Tronium Cannon; isn't that the bigass gun mounted on the Hagane's bow? Robert confirms; it's powered by a mineral of the same name that was recovered from Meteor-3. Masaki wants to know why we haven't used it before now if it's so awesome, and Robert explains that it's far too dangerous. Tronium's output is more than human technology can reliably harness; if the reactor went critical, the resultant explosion would wipe out everything within tens of kilometers. In that case, Ryusei asks, why put it on a Federation ship? Supposedly it was meant to be a deterrent against enemy ships (hey engineers: IT'S NOT WORKING) but also, apparently the Federation higher-ups got so freaked-out by the specter of Aerogater invasion that they decided to design the Hagane as sort of a scorched-earth weapon. Should things go wrong, they could at least hope to destroy the reactor and bring their enemies down with them... Additionally, the Hagane got it beecause it was the only ship big enough to house a limiter that could control the output. They've been working on a miniaturized model for PT usage, but no dice as of yet. Rai thinks that that explains what's taken the R-2's development so long.

This leads Masaki to another question. If Tronium is so awesomely powerful... why did Bian give any samples of it to the Federation, considering that he's the one who discovered it in the first place? Robert has to admit (silently) that that's an excellent question. Of the six shares of Tronium discovered, five were given to the Federation... if Bian had been planning to war against them, why would he give so many samples to the Feds and Mao Industries?

Ingram brings the conversation back on-topic: should the worst happen and the Hagane is unable to deploy the cannon, the onus will be on the PT pilots to carry the day, destroying the island's defenders and seizing the fortress for themselves. Irm needlessly points out that that means facing down both the Valsion and the Granzon in open combat. Most likely troubled by this, Tetsuya asks Robert how the R-series is coming along. Unfortunately, the news isn't good; neither the R-1 nor the R-3 are ready for launch, and they haven't even been able to activate the R-2's drive yet. Hearing this, Ryusei falls silent...

At some point afterward, Garnet pops in on some of the ladies to see what's up. Since the big, final battle is coming up, it's time for the womenfolk to do their part by... making lunch for the menfolk. :biotruths: It was Kusuha's idea, and so long as the Hagane is temporarily moored, the others are chipping in as well. Garnet notes that Latooni's helping out as well; Latooni explains that since the final battle is likely going to be a long one, it's important to carb up beforehand in order to build up maximum reserves of energy.

:pseudo: The japanese word for "starch" is denpun (澱粉). At this point Garnet, being Garnet, says... "Gold dust? Are you going to paint yourselves with it?" "Gold dust" in Japanese is kinpun (金粉). Whoever said puns are the lowest form of humor may have had a point.

Seeing Latooni's hard work, Garnet volunteers to chip in as well. There's no telling what Kusuha might put in there if she isn't supervised... Kusuha doesn't quite catch her meaning, leading Garnet to say that it's a joke. Privately, Rio thinks that she'd rather eat Kusuha's cooking than Garnet's. In any case, Kusuha thanks her for the help.

:eng101: Poor Giado. :biotruths: Perhaps unsurprisingly, the original version has a "romantic" interlude here where Garnet urges Kusuha (and Latooni) to hurry up and bring Ryusei the food they've been making, since obviously that's the entire reason they've been doing this.

In the mech bay, Ryoto has designed some blueprints for a miniaturized Tesla Drive, based on the one from his Lion. Robert glances over the specs and nods approvingly; they're remarkably well-put together. The former DC pilot confesses that he's always had a bit of a thing for machines and engineering designs; Robert suggests that Ryoto study robot engineering under him, which he's only too happy to accept.

Ryoto excitedly runs out, and Ryusei, who's been lurking in the wings, makes his move, even though he's supposed to be doing his final checks on the Wildraubtier. He asks Rob if it's really true that the R-1 can't be used. Rob tiredly says that yes, it's true. Our hero protests that it worked fine that one time, defending the Hagane - it was even able to fire a rifle! Nonetheless, its core system is apparently not working, and Robert isn't willing to risk sending a pilot out in a potentially unstable mech, so the Raubtier it's going to be.

:eng101:On the heels of the last scene, here Kusuha and Aya show up with food for Ryusei. Ryusei immediately says he didn't know Aya could cook :downs:, prompting Aya to promise lots of anchovies in the next dish she makes for him. He scarfs down the food and then runs off before Kusuha can ask what he thinks of her, which of course is the most important thing in this scene. :biotruths:

In any case, it's time. Let's roll.

Mission 17: Last Battalion

These guys are dirty liars. This is not even close to the last battalion we face. Jerks. :saddowns:[/b]

Tempest tells Elzam that they're prepared for the enemy's arrival. Elzam is silent for a moment, thinking that working with Tempest here isn't too far off from the good old days. Tempest isn't too happy to be reminded of his time in the Aggressors; he worked for the Federation to develop their machines and tactics, and was rewarded with the deaths of his family. Elzam warns him that this obsession can bring nothing but ruin, but Tempest says he's not like Elzam; he can't simply stay calm after the death of his wife.

Elzam is silent at this, leading Tempest to apologize at once. Elzam graciously accepts his words, but further reminiscence is cut off by the enemy's approach. Tempest tells him to take the lead; he'll head up the second unit. Elzam orders his subordinates to activate their jammers!

And great jammers they must be, because the Hagane is taken completely by surprise. Ryoto recognizes the enemy units' markings at once: it's the Last Battalion, the Divine Crusaders' elite guard. That... is not good news.

Meanwhile, Ryusei is nowhere near his mech. Robert realizes what he must be up to and goes running. Ingram says to just leave it be.

"But...!"
"FACE. OF. TRUSTWORTHINESS." :smug:

Ingram considers this a fine opportunity to get Ryusei to unleash his full power...

Also, we get a free Tesla Drive before the mission can begin. This grants a unit both an A rank when airborne, and the ability to fly.

This makes it a bit weird to choose who to put it on, actually, since most of our units who need to be airborne already are. In this case I stick it on Aya, because she still needs the help. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, a unit's terrain rank is a function of the individual terrain ranks of its mech and its pilot. An A and an S average out to an S. On the other hand, and A and a B average out to a B. Aya gets a B rank underwater, so I'm giving her the Tesla Drive to improve things a bit. This is also pretty much the last water mission in the game, so after this it won't be quite as important (i.e. we'll give the Tesla Drive out based on "man, it'd be great if X could fly," as opposed to "we should use the Tesla Drive for a small boost in terrain ranking.")

Elzam asks Rai if he has the strength to defeat him. Rai says that today, here and now, he's ready for his brother. Daitetsu says that we have six minutes to get out of the area (before... something bad happens? :confused:).

Objectives. As stated, get the Hagane to the far side of the map within six turns. That's about it. No sign of the mastery, yet.

Map. The south side of the map is our destination zone. It's probably worth mentioning that the Hagane is submerged during this mission and cannot become airborne, so you'll have to account for navigating around that island in your planning.

As for enemy units, well. We've got the Last Battalion, a bunch of more-than-usually-skilled pilots. They're all in Guarlion-LBs, which are sort of like the Guarlion Custom but smaller and weaker. They're not really strong enough to be dangerous, but they are strong enough to be irritating. This is also our first encounter with enemy twin units (three of them, here) - the first of many to come, as it happens.

On top of that, we have Elzam in his Guarlion Trombe. It's big, it's tough, it's probably less dangerous than a Guarlion Custom except that it has loving Elzam as its pilot.

Here's Masaki's accuracy and dodging rate versus Elzam. This is going to be fun.

I don't really like those odds, so I pair him up against one of the other enemies instead so he can start building morale. His odds here are slightly better.

Still, with all the enemies having over 7000 health, it'll take more than this.

Rai's up next, and since I'm planning on him doing a fair bit of damage to his brother, let's check out his numbers.

...You've got to be kidding me. Okay, this plan isn't going to work as well as I'd expected.

Aya casts Inspire on him, giving him the effect of Strike for the rest of the turn. He Focuses and goes for one the twinned units, using the Huck's shotgun.

That's an okay start, but not great.

Ryoto goes airborne and moves up the left side to draw the enemies' fire.

Good man.

It bears mentioning here that fighting an enemy twin means both enemy units get to fire back. It doesn't help out much here, though.

Irm does likewise on the right side. Well, sort of. The Wing Gust does absolutely poo poo damage until it has enough morale for Spiral Attack, which I guess is actually an argument for sticking the Tesla Drive on the Grungust here, so that you can punch things will still moving quickly past water.

Rio follows behind him, but she can only reach Elzam this turn and I'm not giving her great odds against him. The Hagane follows along behind her but can't quite finish off that twin unit.

Latooni casts Assail so she can fire her cannons after moving, then goes after Masaki's target.

Aya finishes off one of the guys in that twin unit, but his partner gets some revenge.

Garnet and Giado follow along behind her.

Ingram moves up the right side to help Irm out and gets smacked in return.

So, we haven't accomplished much yet and took a bit of a beating ourselves. And now it's the enemy phase! :suicide:

Elzam goes for Rai, which I was expecting, and he does so by closing to melee range and using a status weapon, which I wasn't expecting. :sigh:

"It seems we're at the conclusion, Rai."
"Yes... we defeat you here, and then put a stop to the Divine Crusaders."
"Hah... do you think you're up to the challenge?"
"You've always like this. Treating everyone else as an inferior. Never giving them a second thought. And then sacrificing them for your own ends..."

"...That's how you could shoot Cattleya at Elpis."
"...!"
"You could have saved her! But instead..."

"A soldier has no use for personal feelings on the battlefield."
"!!"
"If you forget that, and rush to action, you will never be able to protect the Earth."
"What..."
"You may never grasp the importance of Bian's cause. And if not, I must crush you here."
"I don't care about your 'cause.' Let's finish this, Elzam!"

"Rai... if you can't keep your composure, you'll never defeat me."

"Ugh... don't congratulate yourself yet, Elzam...!"

"What's wrong, Raidiese... is just keeping pace with Trombe the best you can do?"

At least the Roche Saber does decent damage for a melee weapon. But that's about all that I can say went well there.

Following their leader's example, the three enemies on the left close to melee range against Ryoto - meaning that he can't use his beam cannon, which has a minimum range of 2. :sigh:

Another one goes for Rai, and he works out some of his frustration.

And most of the others just sit and do literally nothing, even though we're in range. :argh:

Turn 2. Ryusei's in the mech bay, preparing to take the R-1 out no matter what it happens. Robert comes by, having expected that Ryusei would be here. He can't let Ryusei sortie in this machine. He explains that if Ryusei died because of a machine he made, he'd never forgive himself. He realizes that this something of a hypocritical viewpoint, since it's a weapon of war designed for killing, but his conscience - and his pride as an engineer - won't allow it.

Anyway, back to the meatgrinder. Masaki chips away at another unit. Tetsuya uses Trust to patch up some of the damage Ingram took last turn.

Latooni fires, with Garnet not-really helping. Ryoto moves next to Aya and leaves a different enemy at near death.

Rio moves up and double-teams someone alongside Irm.

There's a bit of a recurring theme of enemies not dying here. The Last Battalion is sort of comparable to the Treue Squadron, except that Ryusei's crew tends not to have as much raw destructive power as Kyosuke does. No Alt, no Giganscudo, no Katina, and Cybuster and the Grungust need a bunch of morale to start being really effective. There's a tipping point eventually where everything starts suddenly taking a lot more damage, but it's delayed here by the fact that most of the enemies aren't doing anything on their turn, denying us the morale we would've picked up otherwise.

Speaking of which, Irm goes humanoid mode and punches this guy to death.

Ingram casts Sense to protect himself, then moves up and shotguns the twin unit that Masaki hit before.

Giado pops Valor and Strike, but it's not quite enough to finish off this guy. Garnet finishes him instead and hits level 14.

Aya finishes off one of the low-health enemies and hits level 16.

Rai is in rough shape against Elzam, and it's going to get rougher, so he moves up by Ingram and helps out on the shotgun front instead.

The Hagane moves up and finishes another low-health target. You have to remember to keep moving the ship forward here; the time limit isn't just for show.

Enemy phase. Ryusei tells Rob that it doesn't matter what he says, he still wants to take the R-1; he's not going to die without even trying. He got the R-1 to work once before; if there's a possibility that the mech can work again, he's taking it. Hearing this, Rob decides to trust in Ryusei's talent, telling him to get in the cockpit while he finishes the preparations.

Elzam goes after Rai and hits him with another Spider Net. :sigh: This is still enough to level him up, causing him to learn Snipe. I wish there was a spirit to deal with the minimum range of weapons...

If it's not clear yet, Elzam will target Rai every time on this mission. This was part of why I wanted him in something more maneuverable than the Schutzwald, so that he could dodge while still being able to return fire. Unfortunately, a) he still isn't as good as his brother, and b) Elzam's decided to close to minimum range all the time, where he can't use the Boosted Rifle, shotgun, or Rip Slasher (which all have a minimum range). So this isn't working out quite like I'd imagined. At this rate I'd have been better off leaving him in the Schutzwald and taking advantage of the heavier armor.

On the less-lovely front, Masaki kills someone. The last survivor of the three guys who clustered around Ryoto last turn gets right up in his face again this time. :argh:

Turn 3. Ryoto and Aya double-team again.

Latooni casts Sense and moves up to chip at Elzam a bit.

Irm has enough morale to use Calamity Sword now, so he moves towards Elzam and eats an LB soldier on the way. Those guys on the right are another twin unit, and they still haven't done a drat thing this mission. :argh:

Rio moves up alongside Masaki.

Masaki now has enough morale to use Akashic Buster, so we've hit the point-at-things-and-they-die stage of the mission.

Garnet kills Ryoto's last annoying nemesis and hits level 15.

The Hagane moves up and fires on that last non-performing twin unit, but misses.

Aya moves up and pops another.

Ingram casts Sense and knocks some more health off of Elzam.

Enemy phase. Elzam does his usual, and thankfully I healed Rai up a bit last turn. On the other hand, I didn't cast Inspire. No points for guessing who hits and who misses this time. :argh:

"Have you grown so hotheaded that you've forgotten everything our father taught us?" Sure, rub it in, Elzam.

The last LB guy (aside from that twin unit) comes for Masaki and gets Akashic-Bustered. Also he creams him pretty hard with a Sonic Breaker first.

Turn 4. Irm casts Strike and smacks Elzam with a Calamity Sword. Elzam actually flees at around 7500 health, so I lucked out a little bit here.

Still, after how everything's gone on this mission, I'm a little paranoid. Masaki twins up with Rio. Aya casts Inspire on him, Rio casts Strike and Valor, and for good measure I have Daitetsu cast Strike as well and move next to him for a support attack.

I really shouldn't have worried, since Masaki alone takes off almost all of Elzam's remaining health. Daitetsu doesn't even need to join in.

Elzam says he can't follow his wife just yet; he'll be waiting for the Hagane - and for Rai - at Aidoneus.

Masaki hits 20, which is probably the highest level on my team right now, though he has a bit of an advantage due to the number of retreating bosses he got called in to fight. Rio hits level 17, so she's catching up nicely.

But wait, there was another guy at the beginning of this mission.

RAWR BLURGH GONNA KILL ME SOME FEDS

Actually, not really. Bian gave him a direct order, so he won't sink the Hagane... but he will show them the depths of the hatred he's carried these 16 years! Then he rushes the Hagane, because that's wholly consistent with not sinking it.

I love losing half my carrier's health in a cutscene.

The impact took out one of the ship's trim tanks, and they're taking on water. Tempest pulls around for another go; Daitetsu orders evasive action, but it's not going to be fast enough...

Then Ryusei comes to the rescue.

The crew in general is stunned by the R-1's timely arrival on the scene. Tempest observes that the pilot's having some trouble with the controls, though Ryusei yells that that's not enough to keep him from fighting. Tempest asks why he's fighting, and Ryusei has his answer right at hand - to protect the world from people like the DCs, who want to rule. Amused, Tempest says that the Hagane's crew isn't the only group fighting for the sake of the world; Bian judged the Federation government too weak to protect humanity, and there are many who feel the same way. As a Federation soldier himself, surely Ryusei knows what he means, considering that the Divine Crusaders could never have spread so far and so quickly without support from among the Federaton ranks. Hearing this, Ryusei demands to know Tempest's own story - why the hell is he fighting?

Tempest says that he's not like the others; 16 years ago, the Federation's indiscriminate tactics killed his wife and daughter in the Hope Incident. Thanks to this, he will never back down in his resolve - least of all to a frivolous child with no respect for the difference between games and war!

Ryusei yells back that he has his resolve as well - he has people he has to protect! Tempest promises to show him the pain of a man who has lost the ones he protected, and the battle is joined.

Also, Ryusei casts Guts (healing that damage he took in the cutscene), Spirit (four times), Alert, Focus, and Strike. And we get to see the battle mastery requirement - destroy Tempest before the Hagane leaves the map.

So, 17 missions in, Ryusei finally gets his signature mech. The R-1 is sort of like the Raubtier, being light and dodgy and capable of transforming into a flight mode - but less so, which means it really needs upgrades it doesn't have yet. It only has a B rank underwater, but he's going to be staying in humanoid mode for now because that's also where the R-1's primary weapon is. It also suffers from a lack of range, at least out of the box - its only ranged weapon has a range of 3 spaces.

We also have a bunch of scattered LB-Guarlions to deal with, none of which are a great concern at this point. The Ryoto/Aya/Giado/Garnet team-up takes out the guys on their end.

Tempest will attack Ryusei every turn this mission. Casting Grit every turn makes it a nonissue.

The R-1's primary attack is the T-Link Knuckle.

The damage it does is... well, considering that Ryusei launched with 140 morale, it's actually not all that amazing. Sort of like a weaker Revolver Stake that has a morale requirement and can only be used from one space away. As a T-Link weapon its damage is partially based on Ryusei's Telekinesis skill, so it'll get stronger as he does.

By the end of this enemy phase, only one of the backup Guarlions is still alive. Ingram disposes of it, while the Hagane moves ahead towards the target point.

Irm Valors up and uses Darkness Blade to knock off almost all of Tempest's health.

On Turn 6, Ryusei twins up with Garnet (to spread around the experience) and finishes Tempest off. This means he gets to show off the T-Link Knuckle dynamic kill animation.

You can tell just from the pose that Ryusei's loving this poo poo.

Unable to believe that a child could stand in the way of his revenge, Tempest yells that he won't die before ___________________ (say it with me kids) and goes boom.

The mission doesn't actually end when all the enemies are gone, though, so I hope you were moving the Hagane forward all this time.

And then the Hagane makes its final charge for Aidoneus.

If Tempest and Latooni fought, we'd get to see this:

quote:

Tempest: "If you hadn't challenged the Divine Crusaders, you wouldn't die so young!"
Latooni: "Stop treating me as though I'm your daughter."
Tempest: "!"
Latooni: "And I have no intention of dying in a place like this."
Tempest: "I see... you have no need for mercy..."
Tempest: "No matter who... all who support the Federation must be crushed!"

The GBA version has additional lines afterward where Latooni comments that he's trapped in the past - just like her. Not certain if that's also in the PS2 version, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, that mission's over. Rai's going back in the Schutzwald after this, and I imagine Latooni will be going back in the 009.

-----

"I lost to Ryoto in the simulator again..."
"D-don't feel too bad about it. I thought you did really well in that set."

"Grr... Ryoto, we're doing another match!"
"Huh?! B... but we promised to leave it at 20 sets..."

"Then, this one is... cooking! That's it, a cooking throwdown!"
"What?!"
"I'll never lose in cooking! It's decided! To the kitchen!"
"Um... then, could we make it a bread throwdown instead?"

"Huh? Bread? Ryoto, you bake bread?"
"Y-yeah. Well, lately."
"I never knew that."

:eng101: Ryoto's voice actress Yumiko Kobayashi also played the lead from Yakitate!! Japan, a gloriously weird series about a guy with bread-baking superpowers.

That's it for now. At this point I'm debating switching to a format where I do one move per update and everybody votes on who moves where, so that I have somebody else to blame when something like this happens.

Next time, probably more :argh:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Also, just a notice that I may end up taking this week off, since there are going to be people in my house who I suspect will take issue with my spending my time playing games for the Internet. For some reason.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh R-1 how I love you NotZeta Gundam.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It may not look like NotZeta now but by the time we get to OG2nd Ryusei isn't even being subtle about how he's basically piloting the Zeta and performing the Not!Waverider Crash

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
This was the problem I had with Ryusei's route in general in the GBA version. You spend most of the first half of the game with a mook squad, and when you finally get the signature mechs, they're... okay. So you just spend the whole time leaning on Cybuster and the Grungust basically. Going into that after doing Kyosuke's route and getting the Alt and Weiss so quickly made it feel like you were stuck with the junior squad. Doesn't help that overall Ryusei's route feels like it has harder overall maps and nastier boss mechs.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I think it's sort of a weakness in OG1 that there's very little enemy variety. I mean, how many levels have you spent on Kyosuke's route just fighting Lions and maybe Siebel in a battleship. And was this level literally nothing but Guarlions? :geno:

Other SRW games tend to turn into giant clusterfucks, but at least it keeps things interesting in terms of "who are we fighting today? We've got the Titans and the Gaizock in a three-way battle, then Dr. Hell shows up and maybe some Angels pop in for an Evangelion event."

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
At least on Kyosuke's route you had some recognizable progress in the campaign. First you're liberating the Moon Cradle, then you're liberating Columna, and now they're off to intercept the invasion fleet, all in the space of about five missions.

On Ryusei's route it's been ten missions of "yep, the Hagane's still heading to Aidoneus."

I guess I'm trying to say that as the LPer I'm really looking forward to Act I of this game being over. Even if Act II is all about a pretty anime princess.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 22, 2014

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Seyser Koze posted:

At least on Kyosuke's route you had some recognizable progress in the campaign. First you're liberating the Moon Cradle, then you're liberating Columna, and now they're off to intercept the invasion fleet, all in the space of about five missions.

On Ryusei's route it's been ten missions of "yep, the Hagane's still heading to Aidoneus."

I guess I'm trying to say that as the LPer I'm really looking forward to Act I of this game being over. Even if Act II is all about a pretty anime princess.

Counterpoint: Kyosuke's route has Bullet :colbert:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Alacron posted:

Counterpoint: Kyosuke's route has Bullet :colbert:

But Kyosuke's route also has /Katina/. :black101:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Rorahusky posted:

But Kyosuke's route also has /Katina/. :black101:

Eh. Viletta and Lefina are more interesting. Katina's one-note personality falls flat in this symphony. (Until OG2, anyway.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I admit, I went the entire update thinking "please show the dynamic kill". And then you did show the dynamic kill of the T-Link Knuckle.

Just check that pose, Ryusei knows how to do this poo poo.

The OG2 version was cooler in my opinion, despite more limited graphics. Can't exactly link to it now, though, it'd be spoilers, but the figure of Ryusei in the background (on fire!) with even his fist on fire and the kanji on hit are things I wish stuck for this version as well. Not like this one's bad, just not as good.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Seyser Koze posted:

:eng101: Ryoto's voice actress Yumiko Kobayashi also played the lead from Yakitate!! Japan, a gloriously weird series about a guy with bread-baking superpowers.

It's basically "Bread: the Shounen Anime" and is really over the top and goofy and :japan:, but also did a hell of a lot of its research. It's a good watch.

If nothing else, it means we know that Ryoto can do hot blooded screams should it come to that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Here's a spoileriffic question about possible future mechs and playable characters for those who've played the game,

Back when this game was first coming out I remember reading that Ryoto and Leona were getting custom mechs since a Lion and Guarlion were kind of underwhelming by the time you got them, was that dropped or is it something that will happen later on or what?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

Here's a spoileriffic question about possible future mechs and playable characters for those who've played the game,

Back when this game was first coming out I remember reading that Ryoto and Leona were getting custom mechs since a Lion and Guarlion were kind of underwhelming by the time you got them, was that dropped or is it something that will happen later on or what?

Ryoto will get the Armorlion much later on in OG1, while Leona's Siegerlion won't appear until OG2, if I remember correctly.

Also I just realized how silly it is that we have a character named Leona piloting robots named Lion. It is never alluded to in-game, so it's most likely just a silly coincidence, too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man, the RNG just does not like you, Seyser.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ryoto will get the Armorlion much later on in OG1, while Leona's Siegerlion won't appear until OG2, if I remember correctly.

Also I just realized how silly it is that we have a character named Leona piloting robots named Lion. It is never alluded to in-game, so it's most likely just a silly coincidence, too.

Lame, thanks for the answer though.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Blaze Dragon posted:

[Also I just realized how silly it is that we have a character named Leona piloting robots named Lion. It is never alluded to in-game, so it's most likely just a silly coincidence, too.

THAT's what trips your silliness sensors?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I admit, I went the entire update thinking "please show the dynamic kill". And then you did show the dynamic kill of the T-Link Knuckle.

Just check that pose, Ryusei knows how to do this poo poo.

The OG2 version was cooler in my opinion, despite more limited graphics. Can't exactly link to it now, though, it'd be spoilers, but the figure of Ryusei in the background (on fire!) with even his fist on fire and the kanji on hit are things I wish stuck for this version as well. Not like this one's bad, just not as good.

The OG2 version is a low def version of the Alpha Gaiden T-Link Knuckle, which you can see here at about 2:40 just realized that video has something that hasn't been shown off yet, whoops. I'll post it when that thing shows up.

Its a pretty drat cool cut-in though, even if it does make Ryusei look evil as hell.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 23, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I've glad I've inspired someone else to start translating save/quit convos. Those things are actually pretty neat.

Also the R-1's design always bothered me because I keep thinking those thrusters on the back are beam cannons. Nope. :(

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AradoBalanga posted:

Man, the RNG just does not like you, Seyser.

Aside from Rai's issues the RNG wasn't too cruel this time around. And really, Rai's numbers vs. his brother were pretty terrible, so it's not like it came out of left field.

Meanwhile Garnet and Giado pulled off a couple lucky dodges and got a couple kills each, which is more than they've participated in a while. Granted, that was at least partly because of the way everybody decided to hug Ryoto instead of shooting at him from a distance like I'd expected.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't mind an escort mission when your escort is as useful as a carrier... but this is turning into some kind of post-apocalyptic travelogue with constant fighting at every stop.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Glazius posted:

I don't mind an escort mission when your escort is as useful as a carrier... but this is turning into some kind of post-apocalyptic travelogue with constant fighting at every stop.
"Brunch in Paris. Fought ninjas. Afternoon tea at the border. Fought ninjas with guns. Early dinner in Berlin. Fought ninjas with armor."

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Glazius posted:

Useful as any escort mission where your escort can defend itself (and quite capably as well.)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route, Mission 17

To start things off, I buy Attacker for Bullet.

Then I max the Huck's energy and upgrade the Chakram Shooter a bit. (Revolver Stake and Gigante Uragano get a couple bars as well).

The earlier reports weren't mistaken: the colonies' flagship, the Macht, is on the move, and the rest of the fleet is clustered around it. The plan is no doubt to drop armored modules on Geneva in conjunction with the Divine Crusaders' offensive. Faced with a two-pronged assault, the Federation isn't going to stand a chance. Now the reason for the light defenses at Columna becomes clear - by keeping the Hiryu preoccupied with retaking the station, the colonies were able to prepare for the Geneva operation unimpeded.

Thinking on this, Kyosuke announces that it's time to make their move. Tasuku groans, saying that the Lieutenant's got that look in his eye that he gets whenever he bets big. He has a suggestion for the Captain and XO - but Lefina pre-empts him, having already guessed that he wants to make a play to capture Elpis. Kyosuke is surprised, but she just laughs and says that she's the ship's captain for a reason.

Still, this doesn't make sense to Tasuku; isn't it more important to do something about the invasion fleet? Kyosuke points out that the enemy is staking everything on this being the final battle; in other words, this force is one that they intend to stand against the Aerogaters, and meanwhile, the Hiryu is just one ship. On the other hand, with the bulk of the enemy forces committed to the invasion, this is an opportunity for that one ship to strike at their back. Gilliam agrees; it won't be easy, but their chances are better here than anywhere else - and they won't expect one ship to try something so foolhardy.

A moment later he amends this, saying that there is one person who might expect it. Kyosuke is sure that person has already anticipated their movements; why does this all still feel like it's a setup?

The person in question is currently butting heads with Lily over his decision to leave the Macht; Sanger doesn't believe Siebel will be able to defend Elpis on his own. Lily is loath to let him go, given his central role in Operation Huguenot. Maier steps in to give approval, having already guessed that Sanger suspects the Hiryu will make a move.

"I highly doubt a single ship would risk an assault on our headquarters."
"On the contrary, my former subordinate is almost certain to do so."
"...Is your former subordinate incompetent?"

:iceburn:!

Sanger has a rather higher assessment, saying that Kyosuke is the sort who finds a way to achieve victory in any situation, even if the odds are a hundred to one.

"Hmhmm... You think highly of him, then?"
"It's why I chose him to lead the ATX Team. He's what you've been looking for."
"Then bring him around to our cause. And if he will not..."

"Then provide a further trial." Exit.
"A trial, rather than death... Sanger, it seems you already have an eye to what's next."

Lily asks what the Commander intends, should the Hiryu attack the main fleet. After all, the ship has an experimental Tesla Drive, and the gravity cannon... Maier simply says that anyone who stands in their way must be destroyed. The victor of this battle will be the guardian of the Earth sphere...

:eng101:Original version has Maier mentioning here that Brian Midcrid will be more than capable of leading the colonies.

Sean's entire briefing amounts to "We're deploying PTs once we encounter the enemy defenses. Dismissed." This gets immediate complaints from Bullet, who gripes that a school field trip has more detailed explanations beforehand, and from Russell, who was expecting something more solemn and serious given the circumstances.

Gilliam: "With this crew?"
Excellen: "Hey, XO! Can I take a banana with me for the operation?"
Sean: "Hmm. I'll allow it. But no more than three, understood?"
Excellen: "Roger! I can bring some tea too, right?"
Kyosuke: "Enough, Excellen. This is serious."
Excellen: "I know that. It's your plan, after all."

Radha and Viletta vow to give it their all as well, and Sean asks Lefina to say a word for the crew.

Lefina: "Make sure to keep a buddy with you at all times, children!"
Kyosuke: "Huh?"
Lefina: "That was a joke. ...Make sure to come back alive, everyone."
Kyosuke: "Understood."
Excellen: "Captain Lefina's getting the hang of this, isn't she?"
Bullet: "I'm guessing that's your influence, Lieutenant."

"We're about to charge into the enemy's stronghold. And yet, these people... heh. Maybe this is their strength."

Mission 17: Raid on Elpis

Elpis' defenders detect a single ship approaching, and at first dismiss it. What kind of fool would attempt a raid here, alone?

This kind of fool, Sean says. The Hiryu's Tesla Drive has allowed it to rush past the enemy lines too quickly for most of the forces to respond. Lefina orders everybody out of the ship; they have to close on their target point within eight minutes (or... once again, something vaguely-defined but no doubt bad will happen.)

Looking around, Kyosuke doesn't see the Type-0 anywhere. Excellen wonders if they actually managed to outmaneuver the boss for once; none of them really believes it, but if he's not here, they'd better strike decisively while they can.

The enemy captain vows to destroy the Hiryu here - along with the hateful Giganscudo.

Objectives. We have 8 turns to get everyone to the target point; losing anybody en route is an instant game over. The battle mastery is to destroy all of the Peregrines on the way.

All six Peregrines, which is probably a record for big blobs of health encountered on a single mission. They're clustered around the target point, which is way on the other side of the map; on the other hand, just about all the enemies are over there too, so there's no reason not to just rush over there as fast as possible.

Which we do, for the duration of Turn 1.

And then we do again on Turn 2. Viletta starts picking away at those Cosmos in front.

Gilliam is level 17, and needs to be level 23 after four more missions. Since we have some large targets that are going to take a lot of our focus here, Gilliam gets the job of keeping the grunts' attention. He goes up the right side here.

Kyosuke and Excellen move up the left side, to hopefully do a little damage to the Barrelions here on their way over.

Tasuku takes up his position as designated bullet-sponge.

Katina gets the first kill of the mission and hits level 18. Inspired, Russell follows up and kills another. Of course, they're hogging kills that might otherwise be Viletta's.

Enemy phase. Nothing of interest on the left side; one Barrel goes for Excellen, but she's quite capable of dodging and makes him suffer the consequences.

Gilliam's warmup begins.

Imagine something like this happening every time Gilliam participates in an attack on this mission. The one he hit on the player phase dies.

And... Viletta gets hit and then misses her target. :sigh:

Turn 3. Tasuku could use a little more morale (and keep the Barrels tied up for a bit longer) so I keep him over there.

Excellen moves up by the Peregrines and hits that Cosmolion that Viletta couldn't.

Gilliam stakes out a nice central position where all the Barrelion-Vs can shoot at him.

Viletta gets one kill, at least.

Everybody else trudges forward; Kyosuke gets close enough to take our first shot at the Peregrines.

Six hits like that per ship, six ships, so that's 36 Kyosuke attacks. But he only has six Revolver Stake Shots. He also gets beam-cannoned in return - not hard, but enough that just trying to have him solo it is even less viable than you might have thought.

Enemy Phase. Kyosuke stakes the two closest Peregrines. He guards against the other four; with the Beam Coat he has equipped, the damage ends up completely nullified.

Gilliam does this three times.

And the other Barrelions ignore Tasuku completely (:argh:) and move, I assume towards the Hiryu. One attacks Radha.

Oh, and there was another Cosmolion still kicking around in the middle. It's so easy to forget they're there.

Turn 4. Gilliam moves again to a more optimal slaughter spot.

Viletta and Radha turn to these other uncooperative Barrelions and kill one. Radha hits level 14.

Excellen moves up by Kyosuke to help out with the Peregrines.

Tasuku figures that if the Barrelions don't want to play with him, the Peregrines will.

Bullet and Katina help out too.

Kyosuke moves to focus on the two Peregrines in back.

And then Russell joins in the fun. So now pretty much everybody is participating in the great Peregrine fragdown, except for Gilliam on the right and Radha/Viletta/the Hiryu on the left.

Enemy phase, and with no fanfare at all we get a bunch of reinforcements. Right in front of Gilliam. :getin:

(Although it looks like they're parked on a space station, rest assured that the colonies are waaaaay in the back ground and in no way relevant to combat.)

The nearest pair of Peregrines is near death, so we're going to start diverting our attention to the remaining four.

In the back, Kyosuke's making his mark on a couple of them.

Gilliam wipes out the Barrelion-Vs who were there at the start.

On the other side of the map, the Hiryu kills one of the basic Barrelions (Lefina/Sean hit level 15); Radha takes a chunk out of the last one.

The newcomers mostly make the mistake of going for Gilliam, who's now killing off Cosmolions with a single shot. A couple go for Bullet, but he's doing all right too.

Turn 5. Radha kills the last Barrelion over there, hits level 15, and learns Inspire.

Viletta joins in on the Peregrine beatdown. She's level 16 now, so I've pretty much written off getting her secret on this route.

Gilliam moves between the Peregrines and Barrelions. Like Ryusei's mission 17, this is where we start meeting enemy twin units - not that it makes much difference versus Gilliam. :kamina:

Excellen and Tasuku migrate to the far side of the group of ships. They're all hovering in the 10-20k range.

Unlike the guys in front, one of whom dies to Katina.

Enemy phase. Bullet kills a ship, and we continue wearing down the rest. At this point the ship to Tasuku's left is still the strongest.

The Barrelions merrily march to their Gilliam-assisted deaths. Only one is left, by virtue of his twin partner dying first.

Turn 6, the Peregrine-bashing fun continues. There's really not much else to say at this point, except that the ships start dying.

One to Katina and Russell.

One to Viletta.

Enemy phase, and we get some more enemy reinforcements. They arrive just in time to behold a lone Gespenst, hovering amongst a cloud of scattered mech parts and the crystallizing blood of its victims. Truly, on this day, Gilliam taught the colonists fear.

Or they'll just keep attacking. :laugh:

Peregrin #5 falls to the Hiryu.

The last Peregrine is one shot away from death.

The one Barrelion Gilliam didn't get to goes for Viletta and gets Metal Destroyer'd.

Radha makes a pretty good showing for herself against all the newcomer Barrelions, who popped up right next to her, except that she's hurting afterward.

The new Cosmolions go for Gilliam. Most of them actually survive. He's level 20 now, by the way.

Turn 7, and it's important at this point to remember that our mission isn't actually to kill anything, but to get to the target point. If you park more than one move away at the end of this turn, you won't be able to make it and will lose the mission. Even if it's only Bullet getting left behind.

Viletta parks herself at the edge of the Barrelions' range so she can wipe them out on the enemy phase.

Lefina destroys the last Peregrine, getting us the battle mastery. :toot:

Tasuku casts Luck and MAP-weapons the remaining grunts over her for some quick cash.

To get Radha out of danger, I move her to the target point so she can escape.

...Along with most of the group. (Katina yells "TOUCHDOWN!" when she reaches the goal.) Kyosuke is surprised that Sanger didn't make an appearance... was he even here? Likewise, Excellen thinks it was too easy.

Enemy phase. Viletta finishes off the last of the foes.

Into the exit, and we're done. No closing scene or anything.

Gilliam picked up something like 16 kills this mission. I don't think Kyosuke actually killed anything.

----------

"What, that's it? Man, this is boring. Hey Russell! Say something funny."
"Why so sudden..."

"If you don't make me laugh, I'm gonna chop you into a hundred bits."
"Ugh...! O-okay, here I go!"

"This fight... is MY win, got it?!"

"......"
"...N-no good, huh."

:pseudo: Ugh, indeed. As you could probably guess before we even started, this is an awful pun, and since it relies on Katina's reaction it's not really one that I have the patience to work out a way to localize.

What Russell actually says is "kono shoubu, ore no kachii na." My guess would be that he's trying to do an impression of Katina.

"You punk! When the hell did I become 'yours?' HUH!?"
"What? N-no, that's not what I meant!!"

Of course, the "victory, got it?" part - "kachii na" - is also the pronunciation for Katina's name (カチーナ ), so he could be misheard as saying "my Katina."

And that's it for this time. It's a very :geno: mission, honestly, for all the supposed urgency. If you're doing a no-upgrade run or similar it's much more difficult to take the Peregrines down in time, but here it's just "stuff pops up. Then it dies."

Next time: :horse:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
It's not that hard to get a bajillion levels in 3 missions provided you have Russel learn Cheer at level 14.

You can get like 5-7 levels if you have Gilliam or Viletta kill a big boss and it's what I always did to get them bumped past the threshold right at the cut-off point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Viletta joins in on the Peregrine beatdown. She's level 16 now, so I've pretty much written off getting her secret on this route.

As you should. Get the Kyosuke-exclusive secret, you can get that secret on the Ryusei route.

Seyser Koze posted:

Enemy phase, and we get some more enemy reinforcements. They arrive just in time to behold a lone Gespenst, hovering amongst a cloud of scattered mech parts and the crystallizing blood of its victims. Truly, on this day, Gilliam taught the colonists fear.

Or they'll just keep attacking. :laugh:.

A Ghost creating many others, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I hope you used Bless and Cheer on all those battleships.

This used to be a good mission to grind, back in OG1 GBA, because you can get a ton of cash and they hadn't started locking the BM if you failed the mission yet. So you could kill everything, wait out the timer, then restart with all your exp and cash. What the failure was after you had literally slaughtered everything is left as an exercise for the reader.

• Locked thread