Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Killing one of your own guys with a MAP attack?

Though I'm not sure if the Kyosuke squad even has one at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Endorph posted:

The Giganscudo has a MAP attack; it's where you learn (if you'd been spoiled by the Cybuster existing) that MAP attacks usually do have friendly fire and it's a good idea to get your other pilots to safety before dropping one.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

Since the mission's on a timer, you can just wait until it runs out. The question is why you fail at that point even though there are no enemies left.

My guess would be that that's when Sanger shows up to smite you all, but then again, it's not like we haven't counter-smote him twice already.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Just recorded the latest mission, and it's a long 'un.

Does anybody know exactly how many intermission skits there are for OG1? I have about three stashed away because they feature characters/events that haven't come up yet, but I also had four repeats in a row this time. I haven't exactly done that many at this point.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
According to the Japanese wiki, there's 12 for 1 & 2 and 2 for 2.5. The list is here: http://wiki.cre.jp/SRW/%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%AD%E3%83%A1%E3%83%83%E3%82%BB%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8/OGs

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I was expecting a little more Sanger in that battle. I suppose he's waiting inside.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

Huh. I was expecting a little more Sanger in that battle. I suppose he's waiting inside.
Clearly his special top-secret sword sharpening technique took way longer than he expected.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

Clearly his special top-secret sword sharpening technique took way longer than he expected.

Hey, when you have to sharpen a sword that's gigantic for giant robot standards, it takes some time. It's time well spent, evil won't smite itself, after all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sanger is the type of person that would hand-sharpen the Zankantou.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Seyser Koze posted:

Since the mission's on a timer, you can just wait until it runs out. The question is why you fail at that point even though there are no enemies left.

My guess would be that that's when Sanger shows up to smite you all, but then again, it's not like we haven't counter-smote him twice already.

I imagine the fleet you merrily sailed past at the beginning of the mission finally wheels around at that point and makes mincemeat of you. It would be a good reason why no one could be shot down on this mission, too.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ryusei Route, Mission 18

To avoid a repeat of last time, I'm putting Latooni and Rai back in their proper robots.

The R-1 gets its usual set of upgrades: mobility, energy, and a boost to the T-Link Knuckle.

I also stick one of the railguns we picked up last mission on it, since its attack range is pretty pitiful.

Kids, put your shoes on! We're here!

Adler is furious at the DC forces' failure to sink the Hagane; between the ship's speed and its energy field, the troops can't land any solid hits. The old man can't believe that the Divine Crusaders' impregnable fortress is being stormed - successfully - by a single ship. In a matter of minutes, word comes in that the Hagane has crossed their second, then their first defensive line, interspersed with reports of pilot wings being wiped out and submarines sunk. There's no option but to deploy a ship of their own - another Space Noah vessel...

Bian informs Maier that the battle with the Hagane is imminent. For his part, Maier has marshaled his forces, who are now preparing for the drop on Geneva. Of more interest is the Hiryu Kai - like Maier's son on the Hagane, they've chosen to stake everything in a solo assault against their enemies' full strength. To safeguard their dreams for the future, he must fight the ship here and drive it back.

"We can have no regrets in the battle to come."
"Mmm. May this trial open the eyes of the world."
"Yes... the fighting will begin soon. I will see you in Geneva, my friend."
"Victory to us both."

:eng101: Rather different from the original version, which had them bidding one another farewell and where Bian said "I will see you in Valhalla, my friend." :black101:

The Hagane takes a nasty hit to its stern, and the Tesla Drive is disabled; the ship is losing speed. Tetsuya orders the Overboost activated, but Daitetsu countermands him - they have to maintain their course until the very end. He orders that the Tronium Buster Cannon begin charging...

Mission 18: Isle of Hades

The Hagane has passed the last defensive line and has, at last, reached the island. They've taken a beating, but Tetsuya orders damage control to keep the ship afloat until the cannon can fire - though it's only at a 50% charge at this point. At this point Adler has realized what they're planning and yells that the defenders must stop the Hagane at all costs, before they have a chance to fire.

Tenzan thinks this is the awesomest thing ever; it's the final stage, and the big boss has a super weapon! What else could a gamer want? Thomas doesn't share his fellow's excitement; if it's the final battle, where the hell are the Valsion and Granzon? Are Bian and Shu planning to come swooping in to save the day at a dramatic moment? Or... realization dawns, and Thomas starts looking for an exit.

Daitetsu reminds everyone of the goal: get the Hagane to the target area so that it can surface and fire the Buster Cannon. The fate of the Earth rides on this battle!

Objectives. Get the Hagane to the target point; no sign of the battle mastery requirement yet.

And there's the map. DC headquarters is the large building at the top-center; the target zone is underneath the cursor and the one square next to it. In our way are a bunch of M-ADATS gun turrets, some Lions and Landlions, and three Killer Whales. In front of the HQ are three Rhinoceros carriers, Thomas in his Guarlion Custom...

...and Tenzan, who's received another upgrade - this time to the Heavy Barrelion. This is a new mech, and an alternative to the Barrelion X he used in the original; it sports even longer attack range and a double railgun.

Incidentally, here's Meteor-3, parked out here in the middle of its original impact crater. Not that that's ever going to be important. :v:

Since the Hagane is still submerged, that means it has to go around those Killer Whales. Unless we kill them first, of course, which is the plan. At the same time, we have a bunch of dudes to deal with on the island itself. Giado, Irm (in Gust Lander mode), Ingram, and Ryusei head towards the subs, while everybody else goes straight north onto the island.

Rai and Ingram make our first kill of the mission, against a lowly gun turret. Latooni is the only other person able to reach something (the first of the Lions).

Enemy phase. Another good thing about the Gust Lander is its cannons have both long range and pretty good damage; the Wing Gust has some ranged attacks with pitiful damage, while the Grungust has nothing worth mentioning outside of its punching range. Irm's able to return fire against all of the Killer Whales here.

A bunch of Lions go for Latooni. She kills one (the one she hit last turn) and levels up to 17.

And a turret goes for Ryusei. The R-1's flight form, the R-Wing, is nice but not quite as good as the Raubtier's flight mode. Still, its missiles have good range.

Turn 2. Irm has enough morale that he can start drilling the submarines.

Masaki needs morale, so he steals Ryusei's kill on that turret from last mission. Giado kills another turret because I really don't trust him to be anywhere else.

Ryusei has enough morale (mostly due to being on top of the killboard) to use T-Link Knuckle. With any luck these subs will only last another turn or so.

Latooni starts trudging over that hill-mountain-thing at the island's southern tip. She gets hit on a counterattack, but thanks to the defensive terrain she doesn't take much damage.

Aya follows behind her and knocks out a Lion. Rio's just sort of bringing up the rear at this point.

The Hagane's close enough to join in the sub-busting fun, though it began the mission at half health yet again.

Enemy phase. The subs will easily go down next turn, no worries there.

On the other front, the Landlions are making decent use of the defensive terrain.

The same can't be said about the remaining airborne Lion.

Turn 3.

Boom.

Boom.

Boom.

And the Hagane's path is clear. As we can see, a couple piddly Landlions aren't going to stop it, so I'd say we just about have this mission in the---

what the hell is that thing

The team is thinking along similar lines, confronted with this ship that looks built along the same lines as the Hagane. Almost along the same lines, anyway - in place of the buster cannon on its prow, this new ship has... a giant drill. It's Space Noah 3: the Kurogane.

Adler comes on the comm just to laugh at us; how will we fare now that we're facing another ship of the same model? Latooni gasps upon hearing his voice.

Garnet asks what's wrong, and Ryoto fills in the details: this is Adler Koch, Vice-Commander of the Divine Crusaders. In addition to being the one who selected him and Tenzan to become pilots, he was also the founder of the School, making this a very unwelcome reminder of Latooni's past. Adler asks if she's forgotten her benefactor after all this time.

Neither Giado nor Garnet are inclined to leave that comment unchallenged; the old man is surprised to see that out of all his subjects, this one was able to find friends, regaining some semblance of her humanity. They say he has no right to address her this way, but he doesn't see why not; she is his test subject, after all. Appalled by this, Latooni's real benefactors promise to repay him double what he did to her. Adler is pleased with their spirit; they'd make fine test subjects themselves, if only they weren't about to die. But perhaps if some of them can be taken alive, he'll have time to make "adjustments" to them later...

Ryoto swears never to become one of his test subjects, but Adler figures it doesn't matter; they'll never bring down the Kurogane, meaning that their fate is already decided. Masaki scoffs at this; the old man should be able to recognize his own fate when he sees it.

"What cheek...! Enough of this! You will all die here!"
"Adler... I will defeat you here - and put my past behind me for good!"

Not for good. :(

Furious that a failure of a test subject would talk back to him this way, Adler orders Elzam, aboard the Kurogane, to destroy the Hagane's engine block and be done with it. Elzam acknowledges the order, but doesn't charge forward as his subordinates aboard the ship expect - they get only one chance at this, so they had best make it count...

So yeah, unsurprisingly, there are multiple waves to go through when you're attacking the enemy's main base. We can see our mastery objective now (take out the Kurogane within 7 turns), although our main objective hasn't yet changed.

Enemy reinforcements consisted of half a dozen Last Battalion Guarlions like the ones we fought last mission, as well as two ships. One is the Kurogane, which has a pretty beefy 39,000 health and an energy barrier, as well as a rather powerful weapon. I'm assuming you can guess what it is.

The other ship is Adler's Grey Stork, a new unit in the remake (the original gave him a Rhinoceros as his command vessel). It's almost as beefy as the Kurogane, has its own energy barrier, but doesn't have the offensive crushiness that the Kurogane has.

Anyway, they're a ways off, so we'll continue with business as usual for the moment. Rai and Rio work together to kill one Landlion, while Latooni, Ryoto, and Aya work on the twin unit that's parked on the mountain down in the corner. They manage to give Aya a pretty good hit in return.

Enemy phase. Turrets and Rhinos blast away at our more maneuverable units to no real effect. Ryoto finishes off that annoying Landlion unit on the mountain. The LB-Guarlions start to move up and tangle with us as well.

Turn 4. Shotguns are awesome, in case you've forgotten.

Let's get the Hagane to the target point and finish this.

In position at last, Daitetsu orders the Overboost activated in preparation for firing the cannon. As the ship begins to surface, Elzam sees that it's time, and orders the Titanic Drill to begin spinning up...

Ten seconds to the cannon firing. Eita commences the countdown...

Tetsuya orders all hands to brace for firing...

...And the Kurogane speeds towards the Hagane at ramming speed. Undeterred, Daitetsu orders the cannon to fire.

"Not yet! The headquarters cannot be destroyed!"

:ohdear:

(I healed to full beforehand for extra drama. The scripted hit here will knock off 80% of your current health).

Eita yells that the main rudder's taken serious damage; Daitetsu doesn't falter and orders the firing of the cannon.

"Heh... now your trial begins, Hagane..."
Aaaaand he dodged. That was a lot of build-up for nothing.

The Tesla Drive is now out of commission, and the Hagane is sinking back into the bay. To make matters worse, the Kurogane's impact threw off the firing angle such that the enemy headquarters avoided any damage. There's nothing else for it; Daitetsu orders the Hagane to use its position to provide fire support while the PTs storm the base and finish the job.

Ingram points out the new target area; everyone must get there in one piece!

And with that, we have our new objective; get everybody (except the Hagane) to the target area. Losing any unit is now a failure condition. We still need to take out the Kurogane in the next few turns, but it has helpfully moved right up into the middle of our forces. Thanks, Elzam!

Aya casts Trust a couple of times to heal the Hagane up and out of the near-critical zone.

Now let's get a little payback.

Unfortunately, the R-Wing has pretty crappy armaments in post-movement (well, in general, really). On the other hand, any time that Elzam uses the Titanic Drill, it drains 60 energy - and he doesn't have all that much, all things considered.

That's in addition to the 15 energy the Kurogane loses every time something hits its E-Field.

Masaki moves over to get support from Irm, and in two hits Elzam loses over a quarter of his health.

Rio and Aya take their shots. Neither one gets through the barrier, but that's still 30 less energy than he had before.

Irm slices another chunk off of the Kurogane. The drill counterattack leaves the ship with only 10 energy left (and only does around 2000 damage to the Grungust).

Oh, let's let Rai have a shot.

"Elzam! This is the end!"
"Yes. To our fight."
"!?"
"The victor here will shoulder responsibility for the entire Earth sphere. Are you prepared for that?"
"You don't have to tell me that!"

:eng101: The original has Elzam commenting that Maier must be facing his own "final" battle right now, with Rai angrily demanding to know why he'd bring their father up now of all times.

"You've grown more than I expected, Raidiese..."

Even the Kurogane's missiles have drills.

"What's wrong? Stop holding back, Elzam!"

Ryoto, Latooni, and Aya amuse themselves with the Last Battalion boys.

Enemy phase. The Rhinoceri start shooting at us, but nothing exciting there.

A couple of gun turrets can reach the Hagane, but its shield completely nullifies their attack and the counterattack wipes them out in one hit.

The last Landlion goes after Ingram, but gets countered to death before it can even make the attack.

Meanwhile, Irm is almost done with the Kurogane.

Turn 5. After what the Kurogane did to their ship, it seems only fair that Daitetsu and Tetsuya should get the finishing blow.

"Unable to continue combat? So they've mastered the use of the Space Noah..."

And for that Daitetsu and Tetsuya both get a boost up to level 20. Tetsuya learns Faith, a nice spirit which fully restores the health of any allied unit.

:toot: Now that the mastery's out of the way, we can take our time with the rest of the mission.

There are a couple more M-ADATS way over on the far side of the bay, so Ingram and Giado head over to pick them off. Aya hops into the Hagane for a quick repair. A moment after I do this I realize it's completely unnecessary, since we can park on the DC base structures for a 20% HP/EN regen bonus.

Which Irm does, to regenerate some of the energy he used by using Darkness Blade so many times. Meanwhile, Rio and Masaki pick off a couple more LB Guarlions.

Enemy phase. We're closing on the base now, so Tenzan (remember, he was here too?) gets off his fat rear end and starts shooting at us. Ryoto dodges the attack, but his long range missiles can't even scratch the Heavy Barrelion.

We continue trading shots with the Rhinoceros carriers. Ryoto kills off another LB Guarlion, leaving only one.

Ryoto's also close enough that Adler can fire at him.

"Hoh... The sample that was too weak to fight for the Divine Crusaders. Yet after joining the Federation, your fighting spirit is increased. Why such marked improvement...?"
"You... You're the one I can't forgive!"

No surprise there.

Turn 6. Ingram and Giado finish off a pair of turrets.

Most of our people move either on or near this long set of hangars (?) for the terrain bonus while they start shooting at the Rhinos. Irm heads up the other side to take on one by himself (unless Ryusei catches up).

Enemy phase. Thomas goes for Latooni, who doesn't have very good odds and just evades.

And I finally get to show this off! The Huckebein 009 has the After-Image ability. Once its pilot is at 130 morale, the 009 has a 50-50 chance of automatically dodging any incoming attack, regardless of the enemy's actual accuracy. That's on top of the normal combat roll, which basically means that any enemy who wants to hit Latooni has to flip a coin to find out if they even get to try to do so.

Tenzan really does not take much damage from attacks.

Rio kills off the last Guarlion. Everybody else continues pounding on Rhinos.

Turn 7. Giado can (probably?) take this last turret by himself, so Ingram starts the trek back to the main action.

Ryusei kills a Rhino in style.

Rai and Latooni finish off the second Rhino, although Rai's a bit beat-up and needs to get on a base square next turn.

Masaki takes a slightly larger bite out of Tenzan. Any other unit would be taking 7000 or so damage from Akashic Buster at this point.

Ryoto joins in the fun as well.

Enemy phase. I decided to have Latooni lie in wait for Thomas' attack, just in case she got Sonic Breakered and lost a big chunk of health. It works out here, though it'll take more to bring him down.

3000-ish damage from Calamity Sword. :sigh: Leave it to Tenzan to make a Barrelion more annoying.

Nothing else exciting going on. Adler's shooting at us this whole time, but he's parked on a base so any damage I happened to do would just be healed up again next turn.

Turn 8. Giado polishes off the last turret. :thumbsup:

Latooni and Rai double-team Thomas.

Ryusei destroys the last Rhino.

Irm sets Tenzan up for the finish (Darkness Blade, at least, still does 9000+ damage on a critical).

I figure Ryoto's been wanting to give Tenzan a hearty punch in the face since they first met, so he gets to finish him off.

"poo poo! poo poo! Continue! CONTINUE! It's not over yet! I'm not done having fun! War is the best game! I can't die yet!"

Despite the way it might sound, nobody dies during this mission.

If Ryusei had fought Tenzan this mission...

quote:

Tenzan: "It's the final stage, Ryusei! It's all over for you, but let's try to go out with a bang, huh?"
Ryusei: "Do it yourself!"
Tenzan: "Huh?"
Ryusei: "This isn't the final stage for me. And you're not the final enemy!"

Ryoto hits level 20 and learns Strike.

Enemy phase. Latooni leaves Thomas ripe for finishing.

We're just about ready to go for Adler, so Masaki counters him and takes off a promising chunk of health.

Turn 9. Rio Valors up and takes Thomas out.

"Well, this is as good a time as any. This island is done for."

Thomas has a battle conversation with Masaki of all people on this mission:

quote:

Thomas: "Well. This was doomed from the start."
Masaki: "What do you mean?"
Thomas: "When the boss is a dreamer, it's the underlings who pay the price..."
Masaki: "What?!"

Rio also hits 20. Earlier she picked up Focus. I think she's the first one on the team to get a fifth spirit... and it's Focus. :confuoot:

Adler's the only one left. We don't really have to take him down; we could've just rushed everyone to the exit as soon as the Hagane got drilled by the Kurogane. But it's Adler, and I'm going to wear that metal faceplate of his as a codpiece and there's no two ways about it.

Incidentally, Adler has no pilot skills whatsoever. :cawg:

He's actually a bit of a pain, mainly because he defends against all attacks on the player phase. With his E-Field, a lot of attacks just flat-out won't do any damage at all. Making things better, he's parked on a base and recovers 20% of his HP and energy every turn, although thankfully he's flying and doesn't receive a defense bonus.

So what you do is set up a long-rear end chain of support attackers all around him. Each hit he takes drains 15 energy, so you can run him completely out of energy in a turn or so - and then he'll only be able to regen about 50 energy on the next turn.

Meanwhile, your heavy-hitters like Irm and Masaki can still break through the field, although they may not feel much like heavy-hitters while they're doing so.

Unsurprisingly, Latooni has some encounter dialogue with the old man.

"A failed subject like you dares raise a hand against me? Preposterous!"
"I'll do more than that. So that nobody else ends up like me, I'll put a stop to you here!"
"Don't make me laugh, Latun 11. Eleventh in the Latun series... You're not capable of that."
"That's not my name! That's not who I am! Giado, and Garnet, and Ryusei all helped me to change! I'll show you how!"

Three or four turns of solid, uneventful beating brings Adler down to here. You're in no real danger at this point, since the base will heal you the same way it heals him. You can also accelerate the process by making sure that Irm or Masaki are the only ones adjacent to him, so that he'll attack them on his turn and they'll do maximum damage in response. Here, he always went after Ryusei, even though Irm was right there.

In any case, we could finish him now... but you know we have to give Latooni the finishing blow here. So he gets to live one more turn, which unfortunately means he regens 7000 or so health.

A couple more hits to run him out of health and energy again...

:kamina: He doesn't even say anything on the map when he goes down.

:signings:

:toot:

After that, you just move everybody to the HQ entrance and call it a day.

Tetsuya reports that all the PTs have entered the fortress. Now the Hagane must hold the line until they can complete the mission. It's up to the pilots now...

Bian gets the word that the enemy PTs have breached the interior of the base. Laughing, he says that he'll be taking the field in the Valsion - if his final attempt at persuasion doesn't succeed, then...

Shu requests permission to join him in the Granzon. Bian is surprised by this, but Shu responds that his duty is to observe the battle, is it not? The DC commander accedes. This battle will determine the guardianship of the Earth sphere.

:eng101:The original has Bian ordering his men to evacuate the base, over their objections.

Latooni had a good run that mission, dislodging Rai from the upper killboard ranks completely.

That was a big one, and it's not the most stuff-happening-y mission in the game by a long shot. Still, it's actually sort of relaxing to have a mission where you don't have to rush to kill everything on a timer.

Next time: :smugmrgw:

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 4, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Of course the one unit Elzam gets that he can't custom-mod to some sort of magical Trombe mode already comes in his iconic black-and-red color scheme. :rolleyes:

That said, I vaguely remember After Image being broken as gently caress for pretty much every mech that gets it, since not only are they all generally dodgy to begin with, After Image doesn't cost energy, meaning as long as you meet the Morale requirement, it will never go away. Granted, it's still only a 50% activation, so it's ultimately still entirely in the hands of the RNG to laugh and screw you at will, but it sure as hell makes certain mechs a lot better than they normally would be. Kind of like the Hucky 009.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

KataraniSword posted:

That said, I vaguely remember After Image being broken as gently caress for pretty much every mech that gets it, since not only are they all generally dodgy to begin with, After Image doesn't cost energy, meaning as long as you meet the Morale requirement, it will never go away. Granted, it's still only a 50% activation, so it's ultimately still entirely in the hands of the RNG to laugh and screw you at will, but it sure as hell makes certain mechs a lot better than they normally would be. Kind of like the Hucky 009.

You can always fully upgrade the Valsione, raising the activation rate to 70%.

In fact, I think I will. :getin:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

KataraniSword posted:

Of course the one unit Elzam gets that he can't custom-mod to some sort of magical Trombe mode already comes in his iconic black-and-red color scheme. :rolleyes:

After Image is annoying as hell when your enemies have it, though.

Nothing like having your super ultimate combination attack that costs 100 EN to use miss despite having a 100% hit rate.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GilliamYaeger posted:

After Image is annoying as hell when your enemies have it, though.

Nothing like having your super ultimate combination attack that costs 100 EN to use miss despite having a 100% hit rate.

Strike nullifies After Image (unless they changed it in the PS version).

Still really annoying, but anything worth using an ultimate combo attack on is worth using strike on.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Omobono posted:

Strike nullifies After Image (unless they changed it in the PS version).

Still really annoying, but anything worth using an ultimate combo attack on is worth using strike on.

Except if you're already hitting 100% accuracy you'd never think you'd need to use Strike, meaning it can still be a nasty surprise. (Also for those of you playing along, keep in mind this works against you, too, since most big (we're talking Valsion/Granzon tier, exclusive mechs as opposed to upgraded mookmachine) bosses cast Strike after every turn, or permanently have it active, or some other bullshit shenanigan. Don't expect After Image to save you against the worst of the worst.)

I forget, was that unit part of the OG1 plot, or was it OG2-only? I know it was one of the most absurd abusers of it, but I forget how long we have to actually play around with it.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 3, 2015

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

:eng101: Rather different from the original version, which had them bidding one another farewell and where Bian said "I will see you in Valhalla, my friend." :black101:

I personally believe this is due to a future character being canonically Norweigan

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
(A) It's R-Wing, not G-Hawk. The G-Hawk is a completely different robot.

(B) It's kinda tacky to put that spoiler about Latooni in your own update. In discussion, do whatever, but not in an update.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Thomas having unique lines against Masaki makes sense since he eventually winds up in La Gias as a mercenary working for the Shutedonias/Bagonian military (seen in EX and Masaki's first spin-off game).

However, if your first exposure to the franchise was OG1/OGs, you'd have no idea about that connection and be confused.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Grashbar posted:

I personally believe this is due to a future character being canonically Norweigan

Isn't it Icelandic? That's what I heard.

And that changed conversation makes Bian and Maier's actual plan a bit more ambiguous...which actually kind of makes them look dumber. Why would you ever give someone like Adler a chance at actual power? What could possibly make you think that was a good idea?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MarsDragon posted:

And that changed conversation makes Bian and Maier's actual plan a bit more ambiguous...which actually kind of makes them look dumber. Why would you ever give someone like Adler a chance at actual power? What could possibly make you think that was a good idea?

That's easy: you do not give two shits about kids. After all, the School does produce great pilots...when they survive. Seolla and Arado own.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

MarsDragon posted:

Decided to check the wiki and it says America.

This is getting sort of silly.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Broken Loose posted:

It's R-Wing, not G-Hawk. The G-Hawk is a completely different robot.

:doh:

Yup. Shows that I only use it for quickly getting from place to place on the map.

quote:

It's kinda tacky to put that spoiler about Latooni in your own update. In discussion, do whatever, but not in an update.

Not like it's the first time it's happened. :shrug:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Grashbar posted:

Decided to check the wiki and it says America.

This is getting sort of silly.

Which wiki? I wouldn't trust any of the English ones.

I checked a Japanese one and it said Polish-American SO UH

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was a pretty nice mastery in terms of leaving you time. But that guy seemed like a pretty hard target.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
If anyone still needed conformation then the Kurogane is the ultimate evidence that Bian is a mixture of Rob and Ryusei.

Well, actually the Valsione is but it didn't appear yet

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ashram posted:

If anyone still needed conformation then the Kurogane is the ultimate evidence that Bian is a mixture of Rob and Ryusei.

Well, actually the Valsione is but it didn't appear yet
Except I don't think Bian had anything to do with the Kurogane's construction other than it wound up in his hands by the start of the DC war.

All of the design was on the original builders, which I think was Mao Industries.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Except I don't think Bian had anything to do with the Kurogane's construction other than it wound up in his hands by the start of the DC war.

All of the design was on the original builders, which I think was Mao Industries.

Is that so? I thought the ships were build by the EOTI.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's kind of weird they changed all the dialogue that made what Bian and Maier were doing obvious.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

BlitzBlast posted:

It's kind of weird they changed all the dialogue that made what Bian and Maier were doing obvious.

Speaking of which, you reckon Thomas worked out what was going on just in time to GTFO?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Incidentally, today (Jan 5th) is Sanger's birthday, according to Alpha 2. Tasuku's is Jan 1st, but I forgot to say anything.

Everyone go out and cleave some evil in honor of Sanger Day.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

That was a pretty nice mastery in terms of leaving you time. But that guy seemed like a pretty hard target.

Elzam? The Kurogane can hit pretty hard with the drill, but after about three drills it's out of energy. Get somebody to bait him like Ryusei, who has Grit, or Irm, who can just weather the damage. Without the drill it isn't significantly more dangerous than any other carrier, although it does have more health than most.

The issue that trips up a lot of first-time players is that the timer on the battle mastery is (I believe) fixed at seven turns, unlike some other missions where it would be X turns after the objective is revealed. So if you play defensively and don't bring the Hagane forward until you've cleared out all the Lions and turrets, the Kurogane will appear and you'll discover that you've practically run out of time already.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route, Mission 18

A bunch of my crew are racking up Pilot Points, but I haven't decided what to do with them yet. Normally I'd be picking up Attacker and Revenge, but Katina started with both. This time I settle for SP Regen on Russell and Hit & Away on Lefina.

A panicked underling comes running to Siebel with news that the Hiryu Kai has broken through the final defense line, but our favorite colonial chin has no use for the man's advice that they contact the main fleet; he has a plan. Perhaps Maier left him here as a sacrificial pawn, but Siebel will show him. He'll sink the Hiryu Kai against all the odds - and in a way that only he can manage.

He's so drat proud of his plan that you just know it's going to involve some new and awful violation of the Space Geneva Convention. :allears:

Mission 18: In the Right Hand, a Sword; In the Left, Hope

Elpis' defensive line is thinner than expected; Eun dares to hope that their supplies are running low, but the main fleet's absence seems the more likely explanation. Lefina orders everyone out of the ship.

"Elpis, the enemy stronghold... It's making me a bit nervous."
"Oh my, is this your first time at our establishment, honored guest?"

As per usual, Kyosuke has no idea what she's talking about and quickly asks Gilliam for his assessment in order to change the subject. Gilliam doubts that there are still forces inside the colony; they'd be sitting ducks for an assault. That would suggest a trap, except that there simply aren't enough machines here to spring one. Is Maier using his own civilians as a shield? Or... is his own headquarters merely a decoy?

That would mean Maier isn't here at all; he's with the main fleet. They're attacking the wrong target! But either way, it's too late to back out. If these scant forces are eliminated, control of Elpis is theirs. Lefina orders the crew to commence the assault - but to watch their fire.

"Heheheh... come, then. You came here seeking hope, but only despair awaits you..."

Objectives. Kill everything, taking out Siebel within six turns for the mastery. Taking out Siebel will also end the mission, so we'll be killing him last if possible.

They really weren't kidding about the sparse defensive forces. Two wings of Cosmolions, one wing of Barrelion-Vs, and three Peregrines. Of slightly more note is the colony, which functions as defensive terrain: +20% to defense and evasion, and 10% HP and energy regen on each turn. All three Peregrines are parked on it, as well as all of the Barrels, even though it doesn't look like it. Since the terrain features in space are in 3D, they actually hover below the flat movement grid, which can make it a bit difficult to judge where a colony ends.

Chaaaaaaaarge!

Enemy phase. The left Cosmo wing remains stationary while the right comes for us. Katina's right up in front; first blood gets drawn by a twinned pair of machines that go straight for her.

Viletta's on hand to support-defend the main attack; the R-GUN makes a surprisingly good defensive tank, although you don't really want it soaking an entire turn's worth of attacks.

Unfortunately, the enemies are one space away from Katina, inside of the shotgun's minimum range.

Attacker #2 goes for Katina as well, and takes a bigger slice off her health. This one does the shotgun dance, though. The only other encounters this turn were guys who whiffed on Bullet and lost most of their health in return.

Makes either one an easy target for Radha on Turn 2, getting her another long-overdue level-up.

The Hiryu has a post-movement attack range of 2, which is a pretty pitiful contrast to the 8-square range boasted by the Hagane. Lefina's new Hit & Away skill makes that less problematic than it used to be.

Katina gives the twin Cosmos the shotgun treatment, but needs a repair from Russell afterward. Viletta finishes off the twin partner a minute later.

Katina, Russell, and Viletta are focusing on clearing enemies out, but Kyosuke, Tasuku, etc. are just taking shots in passing as they rush forward. Bullet gets a kill and learns... Valor. Huh.

Enemy phase, Tasuku does what he does best - gets shot. The other wing of Cosmos still isn't moving.

Turn 3. Excellen and Tasuku both move up to park themselves amongst the Barrelions so that we can start wearing them down. The colony's defensive bonus makes them a bit tougher than usual, though...

On the left, Viletta and Katina head over to engage the other Cosmo wing. Russell tags along behind to continue with repair duty.

On the other side of the formation, everybody else closes in on the Barrelions. Kyosuke grabs himself a kill here.

Enemy phase. The Peregrines start sniping at Excellen and Tasuku. I'm going to take the chance and start counterattacking them now, hoping that I can start focusing on them properly on the coming turn before the colony regenerates them.

Excellen and Tasuku also start softening up the Barrelions, some of them more so than others.

The Cosmos go for Excellen as well, and she gives them what for. Oxtongue B only has 7 shots, so I'm in a little danger of overextending myself here. Two Cosmolions are left at low health, while the rest are pretty dead.

Turn 4. Those Barrelions have no business still being alive. Russell and Katina twin up, and she casts Valor so that we can hopefully wipe a couple out.

I guess that gives me as good an opportunity as talk about Twin vs. Twin combat. Twins consist of the main unit (the one visible on the map) and the sub unit. When attacking an enemy twin, a main unit (or a single unit) will do full damage to the main unit, or do damage at a severe penalty (-35 percent) to the sub unit; likewise, a sub unit will do 65% damage to an enemy main (or single) and full damage to an enemy sub. Under most circumstances, when attacking a twin you can choose to either focus fire on a single member or have each member of your twin attack the corresponding member of theirs.

On the other hand, if the main pilot is using an ALL weapon (like the shotgun), the sub pilot either has to use an ALL weapon of his own or none at all. Luckily, Russell is toting a shotgun too. You can see the damage difference here - Russell does more damage to the sub than to the main (although still less than Katina would have done even without Valor :v: ).

Then, of course, the surviving sub-Barrelion fires back at him for full damage and I realize I forgot to cast Guard. :doh: The survivor will become the main pilot once this battle encounter is done, meaning that if he attacked Russell again he'd do reduced damage (probably still enough to take Russell out). Enemies can and will directly target your subs instead of your mains if the AI judges them to be easier targets, although it still priotizes nearer units over farther ones.

Viletta and Excellen try to team up and take out another Barrel (the one that still has the most health), but it doesn't quite work.

Unfortunately we're over halfway to our time limit, which means those Peregrines need to start dying. Tasuku, Gilliam, and Kyosuke ignore the Barrels and move on to the big fish. On the other side, Excellen moves up to take on the second Peregrine.

Not wanting the weakest Barrels to regen from near-death if I can help it, I have Bullet and Radha take them out.

Enemy phase. Siebel goes for Excellen, which means it's time for fun.

Siebel opens a channel to the Hiryu and introduces himself. He only has one thing to say; lay down our arms and surrender. At once. Katina doesn't know why we'd surrender when we're winning, but Siebel is supremely confident in what is no doubt the best plan he's ever come up with.

"If you don't obey this command... I will release poison gas into Elpis Colony." :smugmrgw:

:psyduck:

Siebel, that's... that's the worst plan. Possibly the worst plan ever.

The group is properly appalled by this; is he seriously planning on recreating the Elpis Incident from two years' past - and with his own people as the victims? Siebel assures them that he's quite serious. Lefina calls him a coward. Siebel thanks her for the compliment, since it means he's willing to do whatever necessary to achieve victory. Bullet can't believe he'd consider defeat a lesser disgrace than this, but after Columna, Gilliam is certain that Siebel's capable of it. Siebel laughs; what's it going to be? Will the Hiryu surrender, or doom every civilian on Elpis?

Kyosuke: "Go ahead."
Siebel: "...What?"
Lefina: "Lieutenant?!"
Kyosuke: "If you're determined, then do it. Or rather, if you have the guts."
Siebel: "You... you miserable..."

Bullet: "Lieutenant, what are you doing!? He's really going to gas those people!"
Excellen: "And give up his advantage? If he follows through, he can't use them as human shields any more - and the colonial army will turn the entire universe against them."

"And that's nothing compared to what we'll do to him!"

Hell, Maier would probably call off the invasion, turn the fleet around, and come back just to throw Siebel out of an airlock personally.

By Viletta's assessment, we have it right; he's bluffing after all. Siebel splutters, then yells at his troops to open fire. It looks like Kyosuke's gamble paid off - to Tasuku's relief, as not even he would play with stakes like that. Gilliam warns the group not to get cocky. If he's pushed into a corner, Siebel probably will make good on his threat, one way or another. We'll have to finish this quickly, so that he doesn't get a chance.

All that being said, the mission hasn't changed.

The boys' Peregrine is looking good for a kill next turn, though Excellen's will need quite a bit more work.

Viletta must be getting decent dodge rates against the Barrels, because they've resorted to using Spider Nets on her (for higher accuracy). They do manage to hit her, so she'll be crawling along next turn.

Katina gets pounded again, but the enemy doesn't live to gloat about it. Viletta also picks off the last of the Cosmolions.

Turn 5; we've got two Barrels and the three ships to go. The colony is actually considered rough terrain and slows your movement, so getting to Siebel and putting him down within the time limit is a real concern.

Radha and the Hiryu double-team Barrelion #1, pushing her up to level 17.

Excellen needs help on her end, so Katina, Russell, and Bullet move in to help beat on the other Peregrine. The colony's defensive bonus helps Katina to get by this one without being hit.

Peregrine #1 is well in hand. Gilliam moves up to attack with Kyosuke's support, then Tasuku goes for the throat, moving around to get a bit closer to Siebel beforehand.

Lefina finishes off the last Barrel.

I look/ at the health totals a bit and decide it's better to make sure Peregrine #2 is dead this turn before I start in on Siebel. Kyosuke brings it down to near death, then Viletta finishes the job.

Enemy phase. Siebel guns for Kyosuke and eats a faceful of stake. I'm feeling pretty good about getting the mastery in time.

Turn 6, let's get this over with.

SCUDO SMASH

RITTER RUMPUS

EISEN EXPLOSION

HIRYU HONK

(thesaurus.com lists it as a synonym for "smash" and they can't be wrong, ok)

I'm still trying to squeak out a couple more levels for Gilliam, so he gets Cheered and grabs the boss kill here.

Incidentally, the orgy of death last mission earned Gilliam ace status, giving him a 15% bonus to evasion. :flashfact:

:toot:

Getting there. Two more missions to gain two more levels; it might be tight, depending on how things go. I really wish Gilliam had Accelerate. I bet he learns it at level 23.

A second after getting blown up, Siebel reappears in... a Barrelion, because it's Siebel and what other mech would he use? He laughs, saying that he has the gas right here. Kyosuke moves to rush him, but it looks like it'll be too late; Siebel keeps right on laughing; the deaths of these ten thousand colonists will be laid at our feet!

"No. They will not!"

"What...? Sanger!?"
"FACE YOUR JUDGEMENT!"

Sure looks like that's it for Siebel.

Sanger comments that the man would have shamed them all. Now that his former commander has finally taken the field, Kyosuke is prepared to settle things between them, but Sanger says it's not yet the time or the place. The colonial fleet is preparing for its descent to the surface; will the Hiryu be able to stop Operation Huguenot?

:eng101:The name has come up a few times before. Maier's big assault being called Operation Huguenot is new to the remake.

CORRECTION:

Guy Fawkes posted:

The term "Operation Huguenot" first appeared in the manga.

The Grungust Type-0 leaves, and Excellen asks Kyosuke if he's planning to pursue. Before he can reply, Eun receives a transmission from the command center on Elpis - offering the colonies' surrender. Neither Lefina nor Sean knows what to make of this.

Then a shuttle appears. It's Brian Midcrid, who's finally putting everything together. He can't believe the burden that's been laid on his shoulders; despite knowing his disgust for war, Maier Branstein expects him to walk the path of bloodshed.

Continuing his transmission, Midcrid says to leave Elpis to him; he is the president, after all. He'll ensure that nobody from Elpis pursues the Hiryu while it attacks Maier's invasion fleet. Lefina asks him why the sudden truce has been offered. He says it's to buy time, conserve forces, and raise the likelihood that the descent operation succeeds; Maier is trying to avoid unnecessary battles. Sean urges Lefina to commence the final operation at once. With its Tesla Drive, the Hiryu is the only ship capable of catching the colonial fleet, hence Maier's eagerness to keep them distracted at Elpis. Agreeing, Lefina gives the order.

And when they arrive, Sanger will be there. Waiting for them...

:eng101: The original just has Brian saying that only Maier knows the reason for Elpis' surrender, and they'll have to ask him themselves.

And that's it for now. Despite being shorter, smaller, and simpler than Ryusei 18, it's a little easier to screw up; it'll take you about five turns just to reach Siebel, so if you aren't thinking ahead a little bit you can easily find yourself unable to complete the mastery in time. Still an easy mission.

Next time: :smug: and :black101:

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 9, 2015

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
RIP Siebel. You will be remembered as that incredible jackass with the amazing chin.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Welp, he didn't get thrown out an airlock, buuuuuuuuuuut evil was verily smote. I'll take it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CmdrKing posted:

Welp, he didn't get thrown out an airlock, buuuuuuuuuuut evil was verily smote. I'll take it.

Well forced throwing out by way of ship cleaving sword does technically fulfill that.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
gently caress yeah, Sanger layin' down da law.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

CmdrKing posted:

Well technically he threw himself out an airlock. Sure, he was in a Barrelion at the time, but it still counts right?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

It always kind of weirds me out how tiny Elpis' population is. Everyone we know from there is a big fancy elite, but they're from what would barely be called a village on Earth. Like yeah, limited population in space and all that, but...still.

I'm also wondering where the hell Seibel kept getting all this poison gas. Was there a firesale?

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MarsDragon posted:

It always kind of weirds me out how tiny Elpis' population is. Everyone we know from there is a big fancy elite, but they're from what would barely be called a village on Earth. Like yeah, limited population in space and all that, but...still.

It's the Monaco of the Space Era. :v:

quote:

I'm also wondering where the hell Seibel kept getting all this poison gas. Was there a firesale?
Since he had to ask Adler for help before his first gassing attempt, I'd guess it came from the same place where the DCs got their endless supply of MAPWs.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 8, 2015

• Locked thread