Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Check enemy ranges, use extra parts and consumable items, use support defenses, and try using the defense command once in awhile. SRW is not that hard of a series and Katina is a perfectly good pilot with strengths and weaknesses you have to account for. Just like everyone else.

And if you're still having trouble, I dunno, savescum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

SorataYuy posted:

Switch that around, please. Except instead of Giganscudo, shove her in a Rangzen, because she is a terrible, worthless pilot that doesn't deserve good things, ever. (I might be feeling a little bitter over her lovely dodge rates causing several restarts on mission 9 in OG2. Just a little.)

Unfortunately for you, I generally record the next mission within an hour or so of posting the previous one. :smith:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

MarsDragon posted:

And if you're still having trouble, I dunno, savescum.

That was with savescumming, -and- enemy ranges, -and- keeping track of who was where and knowing what the heck I was doing. Katina is just that terrible at dodging. Like she's got this stupid idea that "dodging is for wimps!"/is programmed to just sit there and take it like a chump, no matter -how- many times you reset to alter the RNG seed.

Seyser Koze posted:

Unfortunately for you, I generally record the next mission within an hour or so of posting the previous one. :smith:

D'oh! :smith:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Eita is a pretty minor character but when he does get screentime he is such an endearing dork. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SorataYuy posted:

Switch that around, please. Except instead of Giganscudo, shove her in a Rangzen, because she is a terrible, worthless pilot that doesn't deserve good things, ever. (I might be feeling a little bitter over her lovely dodge rates causing several restarts on mission 9 in OG2. Just a little.)

SorataYuy posted:

That was with savescumming, -and- enemy ranges, -and- keeping track of who was where and knowing what the heck I was doing. Katina is just that terrible at dodging. Like she's got this stupid idea that "dodging is for wimps!"/is programmed to just sit there and take it like a chump, no matter -how- many times you reset to alter the RNG seed.

In your defense, as I'm sure we'll get into when we get there, that mission is a giant loving choad in part because it's the first mission in OG2 that you get Katina, and as of such she's in a poo poo-tier mech with absolutely no skills to her name and it's a mission against a brand new high-powered grunt mech and if memory serves you Game Over if a single unit dies at any time.

gently caress OG2 Mission 9, is what I'm saying.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

KataraniSword posted:

In your defense, as I'm sure we'll get into when we get there, that mission is a giant loving choad in part because it's the first mission in OG2 that you get Katina, and as of such she's in a poo poo-tier mech with absolutely no skills to her name and it's a mission against a brand new high-powered grunt mech and if memory serves you Game Over if a single unit dies at any time.

gently caress OG2 Mission 9, is what I'm saying.

YES. YES YES YES, this SO MUCH. All it takes is one tiny, tiny mistake (generally, leaving Katina within range of -any- living units without Russel, Tasuku, and Lefina to Defense Block for her), and you're getting Game Over insultingly early in the game. When the buddy that got me into the series heard I was starting on the second game, he warned me I was going to need something like 50-75% more patience than the first game required. I thought he was kidding me, until I hit that mission. ;_;

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I cruised right past that mission on OGS, the biggest problem was keeping my guys from killing too much. You have two really good characters on that mission who can pretty much solo everything, so it's not that hard. Then later if you're still using Katina there are much better things to put her in, so it's fine.

But as long as I'm making this post, I might as well show off the Divine Wars manga and Ryusei's...interesting hair.

And yeah, Aya is pretty much always about to fall out of her top. That's just how it is.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I never noticed this before but what is up with their shoes?

Also:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Bright is a true man among men. :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So wait, this is technology the aliens lifted from Meteor-3? You mean the meteor right loving behind us?

Those are some stealthy aliens.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Glazius posted:

So wait, this is technology the aliens lifted from Meteor-3? You mean the meteor right loving behind us?

Other way around, Meteor-3 technology is from the aliens.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Alacron posted:

Also:

Ahahaha, the Super Robot 4komas are great

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Alacron posted:

What, you don't put your steel toes on the outside?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Alacron posted:

:science: They are likely magnetic shoes so they don't go flying off in case of microgravity situations!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

But as long as I'm making this post, I might as well show off the Divine Wars manga and Ryusei's...interesting hair.

And yeah, Aya is pretty much always about to fall out of her top. That's just how it is.
As I mentioned earlier, the Divine Wars' manga artist does not stop at Ryusei's hair.
Behold Katina (cropped because she's sitting next to two people we haven't met yet AND is in front of a future spoiler character):

Irm also suffers from this, leading me to believe this is how the artist interprets "spiky hair".

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

MarsDragon posted:

Keeping her top up must be some form of TK training.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route, Mission 20

The Hiryu has made it back to Elpis, and Sean is looking forward to everyone finally getting a little R&R. Or maybe not... Brian greets them at once, saying he'd like them to defend the colony for the time being. He does offer to pick up the bill for the ship's repairs, at least.

Lefina asks about the situation in the colony - actually quite peaceful, thanks to Brian's efforts, if he does say so himself. As for the military, they've disarmed and are awaiting the Federation's decision. Most of them, at least: a number of forces have refused to return to base. With the war over, the colonial military organization will most likely be absorbed back into the Federation's, just as they once were. However, it was Maier's order that his forces surrender upon his death.

This leads to the question of what Maier was really after. Brian's theory is that he planned to instill a sense of fear in the Federation. Lefina wonders if there was really no other option than outright rebellion; Brian has more to say on this matter as well. He proceeds to fill Lefina in on the goings-on behind the scenes - the EOT Council's manipulation of the Federation's leaders, their secret negotiations with the Aerogaters, and their plans to trade the freedom of humanity in exchange for maintaining their own power.

Lefina is shaken by the revelation that this entire conflict was planned by Bian and Maier from start to finish; most of the major Federation bases are intact, and no major population center has been damaged, including Cerevis City on the moon. In other words, the next concern is not rebuilding, but dealing with the remaining DC forces who've refused to surrender - as well as the imminent Aerogater invasion.

Tasuku walks in on Excellen and Kyosuke in the briefing room, causing her to hurriedly tell Kyosuke to put his clothes on. Common sense and basic pattern recognition skills would tell you whether they were actually up to anything, but Tasuku and Bullet lack either. Kyosuke's been studying the information they have about Meteor-3, figuring that the Divine Crusaders must have established their headquarters on Aidoneus Island for a reason - it's not a very strategic location otherwise, even if (as Tasuku points out) a tropical island is the natural location for a mad scientist's lair.

Tasuku doesn't know what's so special about a rock, and Gilliam joins in on a gigantic infodump of all the information Ryusei's route has already heard about the Meteor-3 impact and the alien technology EOTI got out of it - all information that the EOT Council covered up.

Mission 20: Private Eyes

:pseudo: I sort of wonder if they were going for something like "For Your Eyes Only" and messed it up. Atlus went with "Under Cover."

Katina and Russell are wrapping up their patrol. It's been wholly uneventful, so much so that you'd never think a war was going on only a short time earlier. Katina has a bad feeling, but she's been saying the same thing for a while and it seems more like she's just itching for a fight. Russell isn't so happy with this; Katina justifies it by saying that the DC and colonial remnants are still out there...

...and then there's the main event! :dance: Looks like the Aerogaters are finally on the move. Russell calls for reinforcements from the Hiryu, but Katina's planning on having things wrapped up long before they get here.

Objectives. Kill. Don't die. 5-turn time limit to clear the map.

This is a little trickier than Ryusei's version, but it's still a breather after the last few. We've got some Megillots to fight, nothing too fancy. On the other hand, instead of a big mass of enemies that we can charge into, we're surrounded.

Since Katina has Accelerate and Russell doesn't, I make her run. (Actually she doesn't need Accelerate to reach these guys, but I'm making her run anyway.)

Unfortunately she doesn't say anything fun or interesting when she's piloting the Alt. You'd think she would after how badly she wanted to pilot it at first. She still Revolver Stakes like a champ, though. For whatever reason these Megillots have a bit more health than the ones Ryusei fought.

Since the Giganscudo has no ranged capacity to speak of, he makes the enemies run to him; I have the Giganscudo stake out a spot 6 spaces from a few bugs so that they'll go to melee him and get killed. I can't park myself equidistant from all of them, so a couple will live out this turn.

punch punch punch, stake stake stake, claymore claymore claymore

On turn 2 we have three bugs left; Katina Accels over to kill one and Russell positions himself to finish them off next turn.

But then on the enemy phase we get enemy reinforcements.

Katina's glad to have more targets. Russell's rather less so, saying that they should fall back and meet with the Hiryu, but she's not hearing it; if they fall back they're going to lead the aliens straight to Elpis. Russell calms down at once, possibly mystified by hearing a reasonable argument from Katina.

On the following player phase (turn 3), the Hiryu arrives and all our buddies launch. Katina yells at them for being late. Tasuku tries to protest that he was on his own patrol, but Katina's going to kneecap him until he cries once they get back. (In that case, he thinks he'll just cry now.)

Call me paranoid, but I expect the next pack of reinforcements to pop up somewhere else, so we're going to send our guys in a different direction.

The last mission might have given you the impression that Yirmeyah-class drones are nothing to worry about. This is false. They are obnoxious fuckers. Time and again they're going to park themselves just outside of your range and fire away at you with their range-7 weapons, forcing you to waste a turn chasing them down (often running in the opposite direction from the rest of the targets on the map). They have enough health here that the Alt's machine gun (its range-4 weapon) often can't kill them in one shot.

Then while you're killing them, they'll probably tag you with a Spider Net or two, reducing your movement and wasting even more time when you try to move on to your next target.

I stuck a rifle on the Alt before this mission, so here it's not such an issue; Katina can stand in place and waste the entire squadron. Thankfully. (Yes, I know it's cheating to give the Alt anything besides the Stake as a weapon. Oh well.)

No sooner do I finish off the Yirmeyahs than another Megillot squadron appears - a pretty big one, this time.

Tasuku complains that we deserve a little slack now considering that we just finished a war; Sean observes that the enemies seem to be matching us in force. This strikes Gilliam as odd as well. They're sending a larger pack of drones in response to our own increased numbers, but these can hardly be called a serious threat to us. Kyosuke is thinking along the same lines; with all this being said, though, they're definitely out to get us.

Viletta is also having similar thoughts. Are the drones just testing them? Either way, the next stage is beginning. She has to hurry.

Since Kyosuke's out of the Alt I found something else to put him in. :cawg:

That actually is quite a few Megillots, and quite a lot of twin units.

But they're still absolutely no threat to us.

The greatest risk is just that you sent your people in the wrong direction and couldn't quite reach them all before the time limit. The Megillots sort of break against you, like waves on a shore. A shore made of superheated metal stakes and comically oversized guns.

Also this pack of bugs is back to 3000 HP for some reason. :iiam:

With the latest pack destroyed, Lefina asks for a report; there's no sign of more foes inbound. Kyosuke is silent, prompting Bullet to ask what's wrong, but Excellen says that's just his normal expression. Time to head back to Elpis...

Back at the colony, Gilliam confers with a contact who informs him of the alien attack on Aidoneus, presumably targeting the Hagane. The two attacks took place at almost exactly the same time - and there's been no word of a similar encounter happening anywhere else.

Gilliam goes to Lefina to inform her that he'll be taking his leave. His original mission was to gather information about the Aerogaters, but the war forced him to put those plans on hold. It might be selfish of him to leave now, but... Sean and Lefina assure him that there's nothing to worry about, and wish him well on his journey.

He exits, and Sean comments that Viletta will be going back to Mao Industries soon too. It'll be lonely... but Lefina is confident that they'll meet again in time.

Gilliam gives the news to the rest of the crew, but Kyosuke isn't surprised, given that he's been wondering about the Aerogaters' goals himself. Tasuku thought they were just planning for world domination, but Gilliam thinks that's a cover for... something else. There's also the matter of Sanger . While the aliens are the true enemy, Kyosuke has things to settle with both him and the Divine Crusader remnants.

Viletta turns the R-GUN over to Radha for final adjustments. Once she's swapped out the frame and fixed the energy bypass, she'll transfer it to Ingram Prisken on the SRX team. Excellen's a bit put out that her chere soeur is leaving, but she has a special assignment for Mao Industries.

Excellen: "Special assignment? Like, infiltrating enemy territory all by yourself?"
"....."
Excellen: "Or you mean like a spy? Ooh, I always wanted to be one of those..."
Radha: "I don't think you're quite cut out to be a spy..."

"Well, she's weird enough."
"Tasuku, would you like me to do unspeakable things to you later until you cry?"
"Uh, maybe? What kind of things?"

"Anyway... can we see you again sometime? Dear sister."
"You will. When the time comes..."

"....."

So yeah, we just lost Gilliam and Viletta. Gilliam was at 23 for his secret; Viletta was not, so I'll be working on meeting the requirements for the same secret on Ryusei's side (it involves boosting Ingram's level, incidentally).

Our break from the real action is going to continue for a couple more missions.

Next time: :sparkles:

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Not much to say about this mission. Kinda disappointing that Katina doesn't have anything interesting to say about the Alt, but I suppose the developers didn't actually expect people to put her in it.

Also, losing Gilliam is the greatest tragedy.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Both of these missions come down to 'oh yeah, aliens still exist, nice of them to wait until we finished with the DC to attack'.

I did do some math, though. So Elpis only has a population of 10,000 people. The Stanford Torus design, according to Wikipedia, can theoretically be made to hold anywhere from 10,000 to 140,000 people. This gives us a colonial population of minimum 90,000 (assuming everything made with the smallest size and they never rebuilt Hope) and maximum 1,270,000 (assuming everything after Elpis was max size and they rebuilt Hope) . The UCC rebellion, therefore, was approximately equivalent to Seychelles (low end) or Mauritius (high end) trying to take over the world.

What I'm saying is that it was very kind of the EFA to pretend they were an actual threat.

Okay yeah they had some help from the DC and no one was supposed to do this math in the first place. I was bored and still can't get over Elpis only having 10,000 people.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

MarsDragon posted:

blah blah maths

Do you mean they don't have the population to do an occupation of the Federation? That's probably true, but it's hard to imagine anyone sticking up to the colonists/DC once their robots are the only thing separating Earth from total destruction, so it isn't as unlikely as you might think.

Hell, look at Vichy France: 80% of the agents working for the Germans were of French nationality, and French resistance to the German army (either in occupied German territory or Vichi France) never managed to cause serious damage/delays to the German military, or even the German economy; and that's without the aid of aliens helping to rally the world together with a mutual threat!

So basically, the colonial military had a better shot at ruling the world than you might actually think.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Seyser Koze posted:

I stuck a rifle on the Alt before this mission, so here it's not such an issue; Katina can stand in place and waste the entire squadron. Thankfully. (Yes, I know it's cheating to give the Alt anything besides the Stake as a weapon. Oh well.)

Man, I always put some sort of long-range rifle on the Alt just because of the range issue. That's one of the big issues I have with the first OG. /Everything/ outranges you at the beginning with 6-7 range weapons, while most of your initial and mid-tier units tend to have only an effective range of 5.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
One detail I forgot to mention:

Katina learned Grit. Level twenty-two, and she finally learned her first survivability spirit. Not to mention that Grit is only really good if you can dodge worth a drat.

Her last spirit doesn't give her any survivability either, unless you stick her in something with After-Image.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

One detail I forgot to mention:

Katina learned Grit. Level twenty-two, and she finally learned her first survivability spirit. Not to mention that Grit is only really good if you can dodge worth a drat.

Her last spirit doesn't give her any survivability either, unless you stick her in something with After-Image.

This is why I always put Katina in the Gigan as soon as possible. It solves all of her defense problems, and she solves its movement problems with Accel and Assault. Plus it's already her color.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The amount of hoops you people are willing to jump through to make a bad character functional in spite of an overpopulation of actually competent pilots is mind-boggling.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Broken Loose posted:

The amount of hoops you people are willing to jump through to make a bad character functional in spite of an overpopulation of actually competent pilots is mind-boggling.

Putting a character in mech that suits their stat; jumping through hoops.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

Broken Loose posted:

I know right? It's not like anything about her is worth going through the trouble of wasting a slot on her and everything else you've got to do.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Please do not have fun in this video game about giant robots smashing into other giant robots

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Katina isn't a bad pilot. Her stats, morale gain and spell list is quite good. She only suffers from having a robot which doesn't work for her which the Giganscudo does.

Like, seriously. Literally everything about Katina is solid except her lack of defensive spells and the fact she pilots a low-tier robot. If you give her any robot with a solid defensive capability she benefits hugely from it and becomes incredibly powerful. In terms of pilots who don't have a plot-locked (or skill-locked) unit, Katina's probably the best one OG provides.

In SRWOG2nd she is one of the best characters in the game also due to having access to a powerful skill that is rare and otherwise unobtainable. The later games also give you a lot more 'backup' powerful units including one which is basically made for her.

(There is one exception to the above but it involves a very specific combination of pilot and unit which is utterly absurd and both of which are spoilers.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 25, 2015

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

To be fair to Broken Loose, Katina is more of a sniper in OG1, it wasn't until later that she got tweaked into a meleeist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

To be fair to Broken Loose, Katina is more of a sniper in OG1, it wasn't until later that she got tweaked into a meleeist.

Her melee/shot skills are pretty much equal (her melee stat starts higher, her shot growth is slightly better.) Her skills can function equally well with long-range snipe bots (for assail > move super snipe) and things without strong post-move attacks. Giganscudo just happens to fill both those roles while also being a giant ridiculous tankbot and having an early-game MAP attack which goes very well with a character with Strike, Hot Blood and (twin) Soul. Starting with Revenge also means she benefits from being able to do a lot of counterattacks in a round which really benefits from a tankbot with long range. (Again, Giganscudo!)

She does absolutely get geared more towards melee as the series progresses though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

Her melee/shot skills are pretty much equal (her melee stat starts higher, her shot growth is slightly better.) Her skills can function equally well with long-range snipe bots (for assail > move super snipe) and things without strong post-move attacks. Giganscudo just happens to fill both those roles while also being a giant ridiculous tankbot and having an early-game MAP attack which goes very well with a character with Strike, Hot Blood and (twin) Soul. Starting with Revenge also means she benefits from being able to do a lot of counterattacks in a round which really benefits from a tankbot with long range. (Again, Giganscudo!)

She does absolutely get geared more towards melee as the series progresses though.

In vanilla OG1 she's pure sniper... which is fine by me, dump her in a Huckie and let her Drive and laugh as she blows everything up with Graviton.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

In vanilla OG1 she's pure sniper... which is fine by me, dump her in a Huckie and let her Drive and laugh as she blows everything up with Graviton.

Yeah, but even in Vanilla OG1 you've got the Giga Blaster on the 'scudo. Her ranged stat does have a heavier emphasis in Vanilla OG (and there's another non-'scudo unit we haven't seen yet which is really good for her too) but not enough to make her a bad pilot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 25, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AshtonDragon posted:

Not much to say about this mission. Kinda disappointing that Katina doesn't have anything interesting to say about the Alt, but I suppose the developers didn't actually expect people to put her in it.

Also, losing Gilliam is the greatest tragedy.

I'm more sad about losing Viletta. Cool lady is cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
After Villeta leaves the R-Gun was given to Katina to pilot officially if I remember. So she is a pretty good match for that ship from what I know.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

Katina isn't a bad pilot. Her stats, morale gain and spell list is quite good. She only suffers from having a robot which doesn't work for her which the Giganscudo does.

Like, seriously. Literally everything about Katina is solid except her lack of defensive spells and the fact she pilots a low-tier robot. If you give her any robot with a solid defensive capability she benefits hugely from it and becomes incredibly powerful. In terms of pilots who don't have a plot-locked (or skill-locked) unit, Katina's probably the best one OG provides.
Wh... what?

Her stats are mediocre at best (worse than every character who gets a plot-assigned robot and worse than every psychic), her will gain is the absolute penultimate worst (second only to Lefina), and her spell list as shown in this thread is absolutely TERRIBLE with the lone exception of getting Valor at an unnecessarily early part of the game. On top of it she pays 20 SP for Strike, 15 for Alert, and goddamn 60 for Guts.

She's not even that good at using the Giganscudo, because she doesn't have Support. Her Defense stat is roughly equivalent to Ryoto's or Garnet's, obviously not tailored for Supers, which makes sense given that she has a decent Dodge rating (even if she doesn't get Focus). Yeah, she can get kills with it, but so can Garnet. She's technically designed for a Gespenst with a rifle.

I'm aware that it's Super Robot Wars and even Katz can be a top ace by feeding him money and kills, but there's some sort of weird obsession with this one not-very-good pilot that absolutely confuses the hell out of me. Believe me, I know the tricks. I vouch for level 50 Boss in Alpha 3 because Nuke ends up with 10 SP Daunt, and I abused the weird stat experience system of Alpha Gaiden to customize your characters. In fact, the "anybody is good" bit should probably hammer my point in further, that possibly she's not as good as advertised and most characters would do tons of damage in the Alteisen and with enough PP and levels?

In fairness, maybe I'm biased, because I had to deal with that stupid idiot missing all her attacks, not being able to afford basic spirits because she has to pay extra, and not being able to use finishers without missing a bunch and getting torn apart first. Meanwhile, Russel is guaranteed Will gains on any combat encounter, can cast Friendship for 2/3rds what Katina pays for Guts, is better at punching things, learns Rouse, and comes with built-in Support. By the time I get to the Gespenst pilots on my deployment list, I'm not looking for another dynamic finisher. I'm looking for reliable team players with high-tier support spells and who don't have masochistic Will gains.

Don't even get me started on OG2 Russel. 30 SP Rouse?! Damage Received -20%?!!?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Her stats are mediocre at best (worse than every character who gets a plot-assigned robot and worse than every psychic), her will gain is the absolute penultimate worst (second only to Lefina), and her spell list as shown in this thread is absolutely TERRIBLE with the lone exception of getting Valor at an unnecessarily early part of the game. On top of it she pays 20 SP for Strike, 15 for Alert, and goddamn 60 for Guts.

No, you're actually 100% wrong here.

Katina's stat growth and base stats are actually quite solid. Her stats are higher that Giado, Garnet, Radha, Russel, pretty much everyone who isn't a protagonist of an actual SRW game but Latooni. In addition she begins with Attacker and Revenge meaning her base damage is significantly higher than you'd expect by default without having to spend pilot points on getting those. She also begins with Potential so her stats raise as she takes damage, further improving her base stats. This isn't even a case of 'to taste." you're wrong about her base stats.

Her base stats are actually on-par with several protagonist characters also. For example Tasuku actually has worse stats than she does. That is bolstered by him having psychic and lucky but that means he's better at dodging and hitting which doesn't necessarily mesh well with the Gigascudo. Her OG1 GBA stat pool is different but largely because it includes much higher shooting stat instead of melee stat, but it's still fairly high. (She is built to be the R-Gun's default pilot there, and all her spells are geared towards that.)

Her Will Gain is +2 every time she takes damage, +2 every time she misses, +6 every time she gets a kill. This means that if you put her in a tanky unit that gets attacked a lot (like, say, the Giganscudo) she actually gains Morale incredibly quickly. Even if she misses attacks she gains morale. Like you're straight-up wrong that it's the worse because even Russel has a worse morale growth. (+1 for hit, +1 for being hit, +5 for enemy shootdown.)

Her spell list has a number of extremely good spells on it but they're all geared towards offense. That means a robot that plays to her strengths compensates for it and allows her to use the full extent of her abilities. The Giganscudo is very specifically this robot and seems basically built for her to use. Her Strike is a little high-cost but not enough to be excessively debilitating. She also has another benefit that I can't mention because it hasn't shown up in the LP yet.

Edit: Also, looking at your arguments you appear to be arguing about OG1 Katina and not OGs Katina. Her spell list here doesn't include Alert at all. I'm also not sure what you mean by 60 SP Guts because she doesn't get that in any version of the game, not even in OG1 GBA.

She does lack Support attack but considering the base skills she has investing in that is a fairly minor price to pay.

Broken Loose posted:

is better at punching things, l

You're objectively wrong about this also, even in OG1. Russell's stat growth is 100% geared towards his absurd absurd absurd defense stat and he has significantly poorer attack growth, literally no attack boosting spells, his Lock-On/Strike costs the exact same amount as Katina and none of his innate skills boost his attack. The only thing he has over her is support attack/support defense by default.

You disliked the character, fine, but you're objectively wrong about your complaints here. Not "it's a matter of taste" but straight-up wrong in terms of numbers and mechanics.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 25, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, that's an interesting frame for a secret. I imagine since he was so powerful when he left, he'll bring something back?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

Oh, that's an interesting frame for a secret. I imagine since he was so powerful when he left, he'll bring something back?

That is usually how you get a secret robot; somebody's typically piloting it when they join you.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Either that or they have the skill to pry it out of an antagonist's cold dead fingers the mission they come back. I think that happens once or twice in OG2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ryusei Route, Mission 21

Ryoto pulls Ryusei aside in the hallway and asks if he has a minute; Ryusei's going out on patrol in a few minutes, but of he makes it quick, then sure.

Ryoto wants to know if Ryusei's heard anything about the T-LINK system. He has - some kind of supplementary flight control system, near as he could tell. This bothers Ryoto, because he heard a very different story among the Divine Crusaders: namely, that it was a system that responded directly to human brainwaves. Ryusei isn't so concerned about that; isn't that the way technology is supposed to work, making us better at things that we do? In that case, Ryoto counters, why do so few machines have the system equipped? Ryusei doesn't have a response to that, even though it would make sense to deploy such a system in as many mechs as possible.

Trying to come up with an answer, Ryusei suggests that maybe they've only been able to produce a few units. Ryoto thinks it's the other way around; it's not a shortage of machines, but a shortage of pilots. In other words, only people with a certain aptitude are able to use the system - meaning that there's something different about Ryusei, Ryoto, Aya, and Rio compared to the other pilots.

"I think we're overthinking this."
(Maybe...)
"Anyway, I've got to run. Catch you later?"
"S-sure. Watch yourself..."

Ryusei and Latooni have had no sight of the enemy on their patrol; the DCs must have retreated further into Africa. Looks like they're intent on hanging on, even after losing their leader...

Latooni's looking a bit down; she's been thinking about Dr. Zoldark's words regarding the Federation's plans to surrender to the aliens. Have they really been fighting for nothing all this time? Ryusei doesn't believe it. If they're just planning to give up, then why does the SRX team even exist? Ingram told him that the project was begun specifically for fighting the Aerogaters, so that's what he's going to believe.

Ryusei changes the subject to more important things. Latooni's been speaking up a lot more lately; she used to be so quiet all the time. Immediately she's worried, wondering if he thinks she's being weird, but he says that's not it. It probably started when Garnet had her wear that frilly dress... which makes things even worse, as Latooni says that was too embarrassing to ever repeat, Ryusei's claims to the contrary notwithstanding.

Then they receive a call from the Hagane, warning of an emergency - but not related to the Kurogane. They're receiving an SOS from the duchy of Riksent.

:eng101:Neither of these scenes took place in the original. Instead you had a scene of Ryusei and Ryoto on patrol together, during which they discussed how they both got scouted through the Burning PT video game, and how Adler lost interest in Ryoto right away because he wasn't as goony as Tenzan. Ryoto also elaborates that Adler wants to design an army of autonomous robots to help him take over the world ("How original," Ryusei says.) Finally, they comment on how strange it is that the two of them were scouted in the same way, yet ended up on opposite sides of the war. Almost as if somebody in the Federation with access to the information gave it away...

The distress call was suddenly cut off, so there's been no luck in contacting the country's military. It's not surprising that the remaining DC and colonial forces would launch another attack, but why here? Riksent is a small, independent nation. Rio points out that it's mainly known for its historical sites and tourism industry; she spent a summer there a little while back. (Eita: "Really? So you're some kind of high-class lady then, huh?" "That's not what I meant...") Ingram's analysis seems more likely: Riksent has gold deposits within its territory, making it an ideal place for the DCs and seize as a base for reestablishing themselves. Either way, Daitetsu isn't about to turn away from somebody in need and asking for help.

Riksent is in... the Balkans, I guess?

In the capitol of Riksent, we're introduced to Princess Shine Hausen and Joyce L'Dhal. He urges her to flee at once, but this only earns him a reprimand for acting in a manner unbefitting of the royal family's butler. These uncouth invaders aren't here for the princess, so she must stay and defend her father's kingdom.

"But milady, they are not merely demanding gold. They intend to take you as a hostage as well. "
"I'm not chicken--- um, I mean, I am not afraid!"

Joyce lectures Shine on her duty. Even now, her defenders are laying down their lives to secure her escape. Will she let their sacrifice go to waste? Nonetheless, she stands firm; she won't abandon her parents' beloved Riksent, or the people who live there. Silently, Joyce thinks that she's grown into a fine young lady - but the enemy will have no respect for that.

"Besides, help is coming. I can feel it."
(...! She's noticed. She truly is a Hausen... I only pray that the Federation makes haste.)

Mission 21: Little Princess

Tempest doesn't see how kidnapping a princess will bring about the revival of the Divine Crusaders. What could Adler want with her? He shakes his head, telling himself that this lack of resolve was why the Hagane defeated him. In order to lay his wife and daughter to rest, he must be willing to do anything.

I'm pretty sure that once you've managed to justify shooting young girls to yourself, merely kidnapping them is a step back from the moral precipice.

A DC soldier reports a transmission from the capitol; it sounds like they've finally given in. Joyce introduces himself (Tempest: "I don't care who you are. Tell me the Princess' response.") Princess Shine has agreed to the invaders' demands - provided that they keep their word. Tempest assures Joyce that Shine's life is guaranteed.

We don't get to find out how true that is, because then the Hagane arrives. Tempest returns to form at once, ordering our crew to disarm at once and surrender if they value the lives of the princess and the people of Riksent. Ryusei and Latooni remember Tempest from their earlier encounters, and are plenty disgusted with the kind of tactics he's using now. Tempest responds as you'd expect (my wife, my daughter, sixteen years, revenge, kill the feds, etc.) with the short version being that if we try anything, the princess' life is over.

Shine yells that that's a lie - these people are here for her now, so he'll never kill her.

Irm and Giado comment on the ex-Aggressor's fall from grace, but there's no more time for witty repartee; Ingram orders the fastest machines to get over to the castle and rescue the princess at once - before the enemy can get their hands on her.

:eng101:One omission here makes Tempest a slightly less overt rear end in a top hat in the remake. In the original, after guaranteeing Shine's safety to Joyce, Tempest announces that the same isn't true for the rest of the kingdom and that it's time to make an example of what happens when you oppose the DCs.

Objectives. Get somebody to the Princess' location or else destroy all of the enemies, taking out Tempest (who flees at 40% health) for the mastery. If any enemy unit enters Shine's location, game over.

Here's our map. Shine is at the one whitish square on the castle down in the lower left. We have quite a hike to get over there, but at least no enemy units start nearby, with everybody currently outside of the city wall.

Enemy forces consist of Lions, as well as Messer jets, which we haven't been up against for quite a while. Tempest has thankfully forgone the Guarlion Custom in favor of a Stork. Actually, I think we may be completely done with fighting bosses in Guarlions.

Following Ingram's advice, our people with Accelerate or flying robots are basically just going to make a beeline for the target area in hopes of heading off anybody who tries to reach it. Everybody else will head towards Tempest and take him out.

There's very little to say about the beginning; these guys fold up like paper. Since my better pilots are rushing past the enemies, I'm trying to get Garnet and Giado a couple more levels if possible.

And yes, we're rushing past them. None of the enemy units show the slightest interest in actually going for the princess. Oddly, they seem to have a thing for Rio on this mission; a number of jets rushed past most of my other troops to go after her.

Garnet levels up again and gets an extra level of Support Attack/Defense.

By the time Turn 3 rolls around, most of the grunts have been cleaned out and Latooni is close enough to snipe at Tempest with her rifle.

"Such a sad man... but..."

"Is that all? Adler's work on you fell short of the mark."

drat, Tempest. Latooni was just feeling sorry for you and everything.

Damaging the Stork triggers the arrival of enemy reinforcements.

Tenzan is glad to be seeing the Hagane again, since he hadn't expected to be resuming their game so soon. Tempest is less glad to see Tenzan, and demands to know what the gamer's doing here. It's on Adler's orders; he really wants that princess. After a moment's stony silence, Tempest says that Tenzan will be obeying his orders now that he's here. Tenzan grumbles silently about getting bossed around by this has-been, but agrees.

It's probably a good thing that I triggered Tenzan's arrival early in the turn. We've got him in his Heavy Barrelion, two Barrelion-V twins, and three Landlion twins, all of which appear on the far side of the map from where we started.

What's more, unlike Tempest's crew, Tenzan and two of those Landlions are singlemindedly focused on getting to Shine's location and aren't stopping for anything. If you ignored Ingram's advice and sent everybody after Tempest, you're in for a pretty nasty surprise. Here, Ingram and Rai have been afterburning over there since the beginning, and Ryusei and Ryoto are poised to follow right behind.

Having somebody who can fire a rifle with a 10-space range on the go helps too.

Between that, Ingram's shotgun, and Rai's Hit & Away ability, we can handle these guys just fine.

Also, Ingram got himself a bigger command aura and another level of Counter.

"Tenzan! You're still alive!"
"No poo poo, like I'm gonna die so soon. The best game is still coming up!"
"Then this will be game over for you!"

Ryusei, your witty banter is starting to sound like Tenzan's. Stop it. :ohdear:

Problem: The Landlions will die in one or two shots, but Tenzan can take a lot more pounding.

Daitetsu pulls off a double-kill and is also rewarded with a larger command aura. There's a secret tied to your battleship captains' level, though it's not going to come due for a while. Nonetheless, I need to keep an eye on them.

Aya also gets skill upgrades, to her supports and Telekinesis. Looks like I'm at the breakpoint for people learning upgraded skills, more or less.

"Well, well... so you're alive after all, shrimp."
"The DCs' war is over! Stop helping Adler!"
"What is this poo poo? The game's not over yet!"

At this rate Tenzan might make it to the princess before he goes down. Also, his response? "Well, I guess you are the weepy, effeminate kind of character, Ryoto." :iceburn:

So we'll see if we can't box Tenzan in instead.

Back on the other side of the map, Irm has been wearing Tempest down. He flees at 13200 health, so now we're just going to leave him until it's time for the finish. (And we should finish it quick, since round after round of fire from the Stork is taking its toll on the Grungust.)

Rio and Latooni clean up the last of the grunts.

Latooni reached ace status as a result of all her kills here. Her ace bonus is an extra 20% experience earned.

Okay, they didn't take out all the grunts, but Rai can kill that last Landlion. We weren't able to fully block Tenzan off last turn, but we did force him to go around us, and now everyone can catch up. Can't quite finish him this turn, though. He doesn't even try to attack on the enemy phase, even though he can't move.

I twin Ingram up with Ryusei for the finish. He needs to be level 32 by the end of Mission 29, so I'll be getting him in on boss kills whenever possible.

Also he couldn't do enough damage to finish Tenzan by himself.

I'll excuse the showboating this time because anything that rubs it in Tenzan's face is automatically approved.

Tenzan takes the defeat in stride, figuring that this was the best he could do with so few guys; he'll let us have the victory this time.

To take down Tempest I fall back on the old standby of Irm using a Valored Darkness Blade. I decide to let Giado piggyback on the kill for the free experience, mostly out of morbid curiosity. Who knows, maybe he's like Boss and he learns something awesome if you level him up far enough.

Irm.

Giado.

Tempest rages about his inability to capture the princess, then exits.

You're not going to make this worth it for me, are you, Giado?

:toot:

With the Divine Crusaders cleared out of the vicinity, Daitetsu orders the PTs to retrieve the Princess.

Back aboard the Hagane, Joyce thanks us profusely for having saved their country, and he's sure that the late duke and duchess would say the same. Daitetsu inquires about Shine's parents, and Joyce confirms that they were killed in an accident. Like Daitetsu's granddaughter, Shine has lost her parents...

:eng101: The original goes into a little more detail that the "accident" involved the duke and duchess ending up as collateral damage during a battle between the DCs and the Federation.

Speaking of which, where is Shine now? She was just here on the bridge, but suddenly she's nowhere to be seen.

Eita: "Oh, the Princess left a little while ago."
Joyce: "What!"
Tetsuya: "Eita, why didn't you stop her?"
Eita: "Huh? Well, she told me not to say anything..."
Tetsuya: "You idiot! Find her!"

Oh, Eita. :allears:

Joyce tries to apologize, but Daitetsu figures it's only natural for somebody her age to be curious about the ship.

Ingram has a question: why were the Divine Crusaders after the Princess? The old man hesitates, but Ingram presses him; the DCs are now on the run, so for them to target Shine specifically means that there's something about her that they want. In the end, Joyce sees no gain in hiding it;Shine has a special ability, passed down through her family - a sixth sense of sorts. Tetsuya isn't happy to hear this supernatural business coming up again, while Ingram thinks that he didn't sense any telekinetic ability from her. Joyce explains that the princess has the gift of precognition; although her predictions aren't complete, her powers are much more advanced than those of her parents.

As for the DCs' interest in her, the duke and duchess were sponsors of EOTI, although they would be horrified to see their contributions turned towards military production. Unfortunately, Ingram believes that's exactly what they have in mind for Shine; if her abilities are as Joyce describes, it might be possible to integrate them into a robot's man-machine interface. The resulting system would be an unparallelled weapon, one capable of predicting an enemy's attacks before they're even begun. Adler Koch, in particular, is an expert on such technology. We were lucky to drive the DC remnants away this time, but they will almost certainly try again.

Hearing this, Joyce begs Daitetsu to take Shine someplace safe. The Hagane's captain agrees; they can't allow the Divine Crusaders to get their hands on her. The only question is, where to take her? Daitetsu resolves to ask Laker's advice.

Laker is quick to grasp the situation, but can't help but notice Daitetsu's interest in the princess. Wryly he observes that she must remind the captain of his own granddaughter. (Daitetsu blusters that that's ridiculous, since they're not even the same age; Laker points out that that hardly matters.) Laker agrees to keep Shine at the Far East base for the time being - it's going to be safer than Geneva, where the EOT Council holds sway. Additionally, the R-Series robots are awaiting their final adjustments, so it will be best if the Hagane returns at once.

Word starts to make its way around the crew that they're going back to Japan. Aya laments the early departure, since she'll miss out on the chance to tour Riksent's museums and historical sites. Ryusei would never have guessed that Aya had interests like that - she doesn't seem the type. This shortly results in her grabbing him by the ear and demanding an explanation.

Seeing her chance to defuse the situation, Garnet comments on the princess. Wasn't she lovely? Aya is distracted from the abuse long enough to agree - every girl dreams of being somebody like that. True to form, Ryusei says that Aya's probably a bit too old to be thinking about that, which doesn't do his ear any favors.

Still, Garnet figures that such an elegant young lady must have a wardrobe full of beautiful clothes; wouldn't Latooni like to get dressed up again? Flustered, Latooni protests that she has her duties to worry about. She's saved when Eita wanders in, asking if anybody's seen the princess. Garnet's dumbstruck; have they had two guests in a row wander off and get lost on their ship?

(No sign yet of Elzam, or of the Kurogane...)
"You, there."
(After Father's death, what are you planning?)
"Hey! I said 'you, there!' Are you listening to me?"

"Hmm? Princess Shine... what brings you here?"
"This ship is fascinating. Give me a tour."
"I have work to do. Please go ask someone else."
"I said I wanted you to do it!"

"Princess... Why do you think you can give me orders?"
"!"
"Around here, you won't get your way just because of your rank and family name."
"H-how dare you?!"

"Maybe I said too much. Excuse me."
"Wait! Um, er... what is your name?"
"Raidiese F. Branstein. At your service."
"Branstein... by any chance, are you---"
"As I said, excuse me."

(.....)
(My father... told me the same thing.)

In the briefing room, Aya fills in the rest of the crew about their new guest. They'll be her guards for the time being, so Aya expects everyone to be on their best behavior.

Shine: "If I may ask... where is Sir Raidiese?" (Or "Raidy-sama, rather.)
Latooni: "Sir Raidiese?"
Giado: "Hang on... she's not talking about..."
Garnet: "...Rai?"
Ryusei: "Gotta be."

"You, there."
"M-me?"
"Yes. You have time now, correct?"
"Y-yeah..."
"Then would you find Sir Raidiese for me?"
"Huh? Wait, why am I---"
"I don't know my way around the ship yet. It pains me to ask, but... would you do it for me?"
"Y-yes, ma'am! I'll do it!"

Garnet: "She really is royalty. So young, and she's already used to giving orders."
Aya: "Even Ryu does what she says..."
Irm: "It's a sad life for the lower classes..."

:eng101:In the original, Irm was the one introducing Shine to the crew, and being uncharacteristically straight-laced and professional about the whole thing. She comes off as brattier and less mature when getting Ryusei to do her bidding, though it still gets the same reaction from Garnet (with an extra comment about how this explains why Irm is being so polite.) Here it's Aya instead, which makes more sense considering that she outranks Irm and all.

Kusuha reports to Ingram in his office, as requested. Ingram informs her that starting tomorrow, she'll be scheduled for training in the PT simulator. Stunned, she asks for the reason, and is informed that she has the aptitude for it - an aptitude that was measured during her routine checkups back in the hospital, though the doctor never said a thing to her. Given that she's here to be a nurse, Kusuha isn't at all prepared for this turn of events.

Her hesitation interests Ingram not at all, as he's sure she's grasped the situation by now. The Aerogaters are coming. The SRX team needs talented pilots. And she has the aptitude.

"....."
"We must triumph over the Aerogaters. And doing so will save many lives. Kusuha... lend us your power. I know you can do it."
"....."

:eng101: A much shorter scene in the original.

"Major Ingram, I'm here."
"You're doing PT simulations starting tomorrow."
"But why?"
"So you can be a pilot." :smug:
And then she thinks to herself that this was the real reason they let her on the Hagane, but she'll do it if she means she can help.

Meanwhile...

Egret grandly welcomes Adler to the Earth Cradle - his sanctuary. Adler has no patience for pleasantries, only being interested in the construction's progress. Most of the underground, is still being built, though the entrance level is completed. Furthermore, adjustments to Magus, the main computer, are still underway. Adler gripes about Egret's failure to stick to the timetable, then asks if the Machine Cell is ready. That will take another year, still.

Given that the aliens will have conquered Earth within a year, none of this has improved Adler's mood, and he demands that Sophia come up here at once so that he can speak with her. Egret tells her that she's been working down in Magus' innards for a while; she hasn't shown herself in weeks, actually, and interrupting her work now could severely impair Magus' development, which would in turn hamper the production of "the you-know-what."

Adler finally gives up, and his thoughts go back to the princess - he needs her to perfect his ultimate weapon! Thankfully, his spy has informed him that she's now on her way to Japan. It'll be up to him to retrieve her, now...

Next time, the same mission.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread