Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's a reason that only 6 SRWs have ever been translated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, SRW games seem particularly dense with text, quirks, and references.

Is this officially a path join or just a mutual cameo before our teams go their separate ways?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Dr Pepper posted:

There's a reason that only 6 SRWs have ever been translated

Alpha on its own is 10 MB of pure text.

Yeah.

The good news is that they crowdsourced the editing last year, and vague rumours seem to indicate that it was a success and the script-polishing is finally moving forward. I'm somewhat optimistic we'll see it in the next two or three years.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Glazius posted:

Yeah, SRW games seem particularly dense with text, quirks, and references.

Is this officially a path join or just a mutual cameo before our teams go their separate ways?

The teams are united, but the routes have different stages and even plot differences.

Ryusei's route is the canon one.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
There are around ten missions where the two routes are identical.

Which is fine with me, because I want to get on to OG2.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route, Mission 22

The Tausendfussler makes its final approach to the Far East Base. Excellen asks Bullet about Shine, and he tells her that she's sleeping in her cabin ("like Sleeping Beauty in the forest, huh?")

They receive a transmission from the base, and have their first encounter with Ingram Prisken of the SRX Team. Bullet remembers that this is the project Dr. Radom disliked so much - reputedly a group of ace pilots using EOT-powered mechs. Ingram confirms their impending arrival with the R-GUN; Excellen is looking forward to being able to relax, but Ingram says he has another job for them to do. When they arrive, he'd like them to participate in a mock battle against the R-Series and Grungust.

"Roger. We'll load paint rounds and deploy at once."
"Leave 30 percent of the live rounds in."
"...!"

Bullet: "Major, what do you mean? Are we fighting our allies for real?!"
Ingram: "That's right."
Excellen: "Whoa, time out! What if something happens to the prototypes?"
Ingram: "That shouldn't be your concern. The SRX pilots lived through the DC war. If they die in a trial like this... then they've reached the end of their value as samples."
Bullet: "S-samples..."

(This guy... well, he told us about it up front, unlike Hans...)
"I'm sending you the specifications for the R-Series and the new Grungust. Show me what your machines can do."

As you can see, the secret to getting away with unethical BS as one of the good guys is to keep somebody even worse around to make you look better.

Mission 22: Gun and Fist

Essentially the same mission opening as last time. On Kyosuke's route, Ryusei is a little more aggressive in challenging Ingram about Kusuha's presence; then when she talks him out of it, there's an added line where she says she can't sit by and do nothing while other people are protecting her. I'd assume that this is mostly making up for lost character development, given that this is the first appearance for both characters on Kyosuke's route.

Kyosuke actually appears on the opposite end of the map from Ryusei, zooms all the way over to get his free hit at the beginning, then zooms all the way back immediately afterwards. For Christ's sake, just stay there! :argh:

The objectives are pretty much the same, except that we only need to bring the R-1 down to 60% health to end the mission, and we only have three turns to get the mastery - even though this time Ryusei and Kyosuke are a mile apart instead of right next to each other.

Map orientation's a bit different this time, too. At least Bullet and Excellen start off near their partners; Bullet and Kusuha are in the middle, while Excellen and Rai are off to the right.

Although... here's a key difference. Rai actually dodges quite well in the R-2, and since Excellen lacks anything that would give her a guaranteed hit, the best you can do is cast Focus and hope that the RNG favors you.

Oh, and the R-2 has a field that can nullify weak beam attacks like the Weiss' little arm cannons. :sigh: At least Excellen's in no danger of getting hit in return.

Bullet vs. Kusuha plays out about like before, except that when Ingram orders Bullet to follow through, Bullet actually charges in and smashes her once before deciding that this isn't fair after all.

Kusuha also defends, which wasn't even an option on Ryusei's route - probably to discourage you from having Kyosuke continue to beat on her after Bullet powers down.

Excellen lucks out, dealing a good hit versus Rai on the enemy phase and then landing a Valored hit on the next player phase. Rai has over 9000 health (:goku:) so even that's not enough.

On turn 2 enemy phase, Ryusei and Kyosuke make contact. Ryusei also knows how to dodge, and unlike with Excellen versus Rai, the odds aren't in Kyosuke's favor. Thankfully he doesn't have the morale to use T-LINK Knuckle yet.

Excellen takes Rai out on the second enemy phase.

"They're skilled...!?"

Kyosuke basically has to meet the victory condition in one hit. Given that he knows Strike, it's not hard to do.

:toot:

Things wrap up the same way as last time, with the two pilots double-KO'ing each other.

By popular one guy's request, there are a couple extra pre-battle quotes if you have people attack the wrong target.

Bullet vs. Ryusei

quote:

Ryusei: "You're not laying a hand on Kusuha!"
Bullet: "Ugh... looks like I've got no choice but to fight him!"

Bullet vs. Rai

quote:

Rai: "So I'm fighting the Huckebein..."
Bullet: "Too late to change our mind now!"

Excellen vs. Ryusei

quote:

Excellen: "You've got the wrong opponent, little boy!"
Ryusei: "L-little boy...?!"

Kyosuke vs. Rai

quote:

Kyosuke: "You're not supposed to be my opponent!"
Rai: "But Ryusei can't beat you himself..."

We get roughly the same scene with Bullet and Kusuha meeting in person. There's an extra bit when Ryusei first introduces himself; he adds that the SRX team's leader, Aya, isn't there at the moment. Bullet starts to say that the ATX leader isn't here either, then stops himself, thinking that it may be better not to mention Sanger.

Irm and Kyosuke swap war stories. Jonathan comes by to ask how the Alt and Weiss are doing; Irm tells his dad off for not asking about Kyosuke and company first, but he knows that they can take care of themselves. Kyosuke asks if there's been any word about Master Rishu and Dr. Radom; there's been none, so they'll have to hope for the best - just as with Sanger.

The crew is buzzing about the news that the princess of Riksent will be on base. Garnet wonders what kind of clothes she has; Giado can already guess that she just wants to dress Latooni up again. Latooni isn't eager to repeat her earlier experience, and isn't impressed with Garnet's insistence that a girl needs cute clothing.

Ryoto: "Besides, won't Captain Daitetsu and Major Ingram get mad?"
Garnet: "That's no good. Wearing military uniforms all the time is just stuffy. I mean, don't you want to see Rio in a china dress, Ryoto?"
Ryoto: "Huh? Well, yeah, but..."
Rio: "Just what are you agreeing to?"
Ryoto: "S-sorry..."

"Hey, I think it's important to shake things up once in a while. I think they'd look good on her."
"...If Ryusei says so, I could do it once."

"If Ryusei says so, huh..."
"I didn't mean anything by that..."

This is completely lost on Ryusei, to Giado and Garnet's disappointment.

Then we have a repeat of the scene from Ryusei 21 where Shine meets Rai.

:eng101: The next couple of scenes are new to the remake.

Wait, they had Joyce on the shuttle with them too? Where did they keep him, in the cargo hold? :iiam:

Joyce comes to the ATX members for assistance; the Princess needs to meet with some officials, but needs somebody to attend to her. Since Kyosuke knows Commander Laker already, Excellen suggests that he pull some strings to get a guard dispatched, but Kyosuke isn't willing to overstep his authority like that. Looks like they'll have to ask somebody else...

Poor Latooni. Basically the same dressing-up scene from Ryusei 22, minus people barging in and out on their way to R&R. Excellen comments that she would never have guessed that this girl and the one with the glasses were the same person.

Not too much later they come back, with Giado and Garnet having served as guides around Tokyo. Shine thoroughly enjoyed herself on her first tour of the city, though not as much as she might have if Sir Raidiese had been guiding her. According to Latooni, she especially enjoyed seeing the arrival of Great Raimon and Banpre-Kid in Asakusa... in any case, the first step in getting Shine settled into her new digs seems to be a great success, and with any luck she and Latooni can become friends as well.

Kyosuke reports in to Laker to confirm his delivery. This is mostly the same, with a small addition:

"I... have to apologize to you, Sir."
"For what?"
"I've heard that Commander Greg Pastral at Langley was your friend. If I'd been stronger..."
"Don't think like that. He entrusted the future to you. It's what he wanted."
"..."
"Continue to uphold that trust, Lieutenant."
"...Yes, sir."

Then we see the Aerogaters' arrival.

And that's it for now. Next time: :smug:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I thought SRW didnt involve any sentai franchises.

So why is rita repulsa there?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I thought SRW didnt involve any sentai franchises.

So why is rita repulsa there?

To conqueror Earth, DUH :rolleyes:

Sanger, you may have gone overboard locating pilots with attitude.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Section Z posted:

To conqueror Earth, DUH :rolleyes:

Sanger, you may have gone overboard locating pilots with attitude.

...And now I am picturing the opening for THAT version of Power Rangers in my head.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Seyser Koze posted:

By popular one guy's request, there are a couple extra pre-battle quotes if you have people attack the wrong target.

Bullet vs. Ryusei

Bullet vs. Rai

Excellen vs. Ryusei

Kyosuke vs. Rai

Thanks. I never even managed to get the Bullet ones, since he takes himself out of battle so quickly.

Honestly, the funny part about this is that they're all from the perspective of Ryusei route (that the SRX team attacks the wrong targets) which makes them bizarre on the Kyosuke route. But bizarre just happens on Kyosuke route, so.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's very considerate of them to catch you up to all the other team's quirky personalities and support staff.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
A bit late, but we actually have :siren: something to vote on this time. :siren:

Ingram gets assigned a new machine coming up, so the question is: who gets the Wildschwein?

Vote twice: for somebody who started on Ryusei's route and somebody who started on Kyosuke's.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 11, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Seyser Koze posted:

A bit late, but we actually have :siren: something to vote on this time. :siren:

Ingram gets assigned a new machine coming up, so the question is: who gets the Wildschwein?

Vote somebody who started on Ryusei's route and somebody who started on Kyosuke's.

Well usually I give it to Ryo, but he's not getting it. It'd be a decent mech for Bullet but I still vote BENCH BULLET. So I say Katina when we eventually recruit her, and until then, Rio. She has a high melee stat right?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Onmi posted:

Well usually I give it to Ryo, but he's not getting it. It'd be a decent mech for Bullet but I still vote BENCH BULLET. So I say Katina when we eventually recruit her, and until then, Rio. She has a high melee stat right?

We'll be getting them at the same time, so I'll log that as one vote for Rio and one for Katina.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Russel and Rio

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Tasuku and Radha.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Rio.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

For Kyosuke's route, Katina can use the Wildschwein well and she needs something better than a Gespenst anyways. For Ryusei's, might as well give it to Rio so she won't lag behind.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, I like Katina and Rio. I used to always have Katina in the Wildschwein back on the GBA, she works pretty well in it. Throw a spare rifle or something on so they don't get sniped constantly.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'd like to remind everyone that the Wildschwein has Barrier Pierce, so it's a very good candidate for something to bring to the final boss in OGs.

Latooni and Tasuku.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Katina and Rio seems like the logical choice.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ryusei route: Rio
Kyosuke route: Katina

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AradoBalanga posted:

Ryusei route: Rio
Kyosuke route: Katina

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ryusei Route: Latooni
Kyosuke Route: Katina

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lets give it to Russel on the Kyouske route. Katina is the official pilot of the R -Gun and that works pretty well for her.

Anyway I am changing my vote to. Who ever officially got it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 12, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Can I just vote Not Katina? I don't like her much.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 23

Now that the routes are merged, we have access to all our robots.

Well, almost all; there are a few missing. Guess which ones we're using this mission? :v:

No introductory scene this time, so we'll just dive in.

Mission 23: The Arrival of Neviim

The Hiryu has reached the vicinity of the alien structure, codenamed "White Star," and is ready to begin its search for the missing Federation recon craft.

Almost immediately, Eun picks up multiple incoming contacts from the White Star: AGX-02 Spiders. It looks like we've identified their home base - and the fate of the missing pilot. Lefina orders Octo Squadron to sortie, but not to engage without further instructions.

Tasuku laments his bad luck in being sent to the enemy's lair. Katina, sensing yet another opportunity to get a better mech, issues her usual "scared? Then get out of the Giganscudo and I'll pilot it!" response, but he figures it's a good chance to test his luck. And besides, Katina's mech has a custom paint job, which means she's an ace. Man, is he jealous! :haw:

Katina promises to paint the Giganscudo in his blood, then announces that she's going to make a hole and they'd better be behind her to clean up the rest. Russell tries in vain to remind her of Lefina's orders, but this just earns him a threat to paint the Gigan in his blood instead. As far as Katina's concerned, you've got to strike while the iron is hot!

Unable to recognize an exercise in futility, Radha joins in the discussion, but of course being outvoted three to one doesn't calm Katina down at all. Nor does Radha's offer to teach her a couple of asanas to help her relax.

Katina charges ahead, surprising absolutely nobody. The group does a collective sigh and shrug before following.

Objectives. Kill everything, clear the map in six turns for the mastery. Losing Katina is a failure condition.

It's a space map. Not much else to say here, except that Neviim is off in the corner and provides some drat good defensive terrain. We won't be using it, though (at least not this mission.) We have a handful of Yirmeyah drones to start us off.

So, off we go then. Evidently they decided that the best way to introduce Ryusei-route players to Katina was to have her be AI-controlled and and determined to get herself killed if the player doesn't keep up. And she will get killed, given that she doesn't have the upgraded weaponry that I gave her on Kyosuke's route and we all know how well she dodges.

This could be pretty annoying in the original version, but thanks to the new and dumber AI from the remake, keeping her alive is as simple as rushing the Giganscudo forward and letting Tasuku take all the hits.

Katina moves at the beginning of the player phase, so if you play your cards right she'll only be taking fire from the one enemy that she attacks on her move. Sometimes she even dodges! Lefina and Russell can both cast Trust, so anything that doesn't kill her in one turn can be healed without trouble.

Tasuku does get tagged with a couple Spider Nets, which can be a problem considering that you're on a time limit. With Accelerate he's still able to inch his way into position to counterattack everybody on Turn 2.

During the enemy phase of Turn 2, the last of the spiders goes boom.

No sooner have we wiped out one wave than another appears. Worried that they're stirring up the hornet's nest, Lefina is about to order a withdrawal from the area when Sean reminds her that they'll need time to recover their wayward units - and that withdrawing now could just lead the enemy drones into another section of allied space. She amends her decision immediately: Octo Squadron will fall back to the ship, and the Hiryu will withdraw at the first lull in enemy activity.

Of course, Katina isn't willing to leave the job half-finished and just cuts the transmission when she hears the order. In resignation, Sean says they'll just have to go retrieve her themselves at this rate.

Now we have a wave of Megillots to deal with. Actually, it's the upgraded Megillot Aph, which isn't noticeably different from the basic version.

Except for one thing: they have Energy Drain weapons, and will use them if you're out of range of their other attacks.

Russell gets tagged with two here, which leaves him completely drained - this means no Jet Magnum attack.

Conveniently, the bugs are arranged such that Tasuku can take half of them himself while the other pilots work together to bring down the rest, and they're cleared out in short order.

Wave two down, enter wave three. Even the other pilots are getting worried now, but Katina complains that she works up too much stress sitting on the ship and if she doesn't take the chance to let it out, who knows what she might do to them? Tasuku really wishes that Kyosuke or Viletta were here right now...

Then he and Radha both sense something approaching, at the same time that Eun picks up a gravitational distortion - a big one.

The crew recognizes the Divine Crusaders' Granzon from the Hagane's reports. Katina is all set to go rip it a new one, but then Shu comes on the line and says that they've misunderstood. She doesn't see anything to misunderstand; he's a DC, so obviously he's here to avenge Bian and Maier's deaths! He responds that on the contrary, he's here to aid the warriors they chose.

Katina has a couple ideas about just how he could best do that, but Sean has guessed Shu's purpose - to examine the White Star more closely. Shu compliments Captain Minase's right hand on his intuition. The Hiryu's XO wants no illusions, however; should Shu turn on them, they will respond accordingly.

(Now, let us see... just who these alien visitors are, and where they've come from.)

So now we have the Granzon as an NPC ally.

We get also another new Aerogater drone to kill on this mission.

The Mishlei moves a step higher on the food chain, graduating from bugs to birds. It has a bit more health than the other varieties, and later on they'll start to get maneuverable enough to annoy your less accurate pilots. Here, though, they're just fodder.

Also, I really did not expect Tasuku to dodge that. :stare: When Tasuku's Lucky skill triggers, the game doesn't bother to tell you.

On the next player phase, Shu shows off a bit. All that for one drone? Really?

Another contact approaches at high speed, but it doesn't look like another Aerogater machine.

"Found you, Shu! Time to pay the piper!"
"Masaki. You haven't matured at all."
"Shut up and fight already!"
"I think not. Why not take a look around you?"
"Far as I'm concerned, you're more dangerous than the aliens!"
"Hmph... so not even this can make you see the larger picture. So much for the honor of the Elemental Lords."
"I don't remember making any promises to you!"
"I see it can't be helped. I hadn't intended to fight you here, but..."

Then Lefina breaks into the conversation. Masaki isn't keen on letting an outsider butt in on his vendetta against Shu, but she still argues that with the Aerogaters on the verge of invading the Earth in full force, this is a time when everybody must unite against them. He argues that Shu can't be trusted, and that they could see a repeat of the Antarctica incident at any moment. However, at this point even the cats have taken Lefina's side; they can't pretend that an invasion of the surface won't end up spilling over to La Gias.

"Gh...!"
"Well, Masaki? What will it be?"
"I don't trust you... but what Captain Lefina says is true..."
"....."

"Fine, whatever! But if you try anything funny, you're dead! Got it?"
"...I'll bear that in mind."

And now for the home stretch, we have Cybuster, and it's actually controllable, unlike the Granzon. Or Katina.

Hmm. You know, with all those little drones bunched up, this seems like an ideal time for...

...well, not a Cyflash. Masaki's at neutral morale.

Tasuku, on the other hand, can cast Strike, Luck, Valor, and...

Oooohhhh yes.

Whoops, sorry Shu. :laugh:

I had Masaki cast Alert beforehand, or else he'd be dead right now.

:signings:

:toot:

There's no sign of enemy reinforcements for the moment; Sean and Lefina decide it's time to opt for the better part of valor and get out of there.

Saying that he's done his part and will leave the rest to them, Shu prepares to leave. Masaki yells for him to wait, but Shu says he won't be taking any actions - for a while, at least. Then again, he knows Masaki may not take him at his word... With a laugh, he vanishes, and the cats are unable to trace his departure.

There's one notable difference when you're playing this mission on Kyosuke's route:

You can equip and upgrade the units used beforehand. I stuck the Boosted Uber-rifle on Katina's mech, along with a Dualsensor and Multisensor to boost her accuracy.

She handles herself a lot better when she's not trying to kill things with Split Missiles.

Other than that there's not much else of note, although I did try to score Russell a couple more kills and nearly got him killed as a result. I don't know what I was thinking either. :eng99:

Also, Radha learns Hope, which replenishes an ally's SP. Given that she comes with SP Regen built-in, it's pretty nice.

The Hiryu is safely clear of the White Star. Still, it's too early to relax; it's known that holdouts from the colonial military are still unaccounted for, and they could make an appearance at any time. Cybuster will be landing shortly, Lefina asks that Eun show its pilot to the bridge.

In the hangar, Katina demands to know why Russell didn't back her up out there. Unfortunately for her, pretty much everybody is in agreement that she should've just followed the captain's orders, and not even the usual threats of violence are going to change their minds. Radha says they just haven't had enough people since Kyosuke, the ATX team, and Viletta left. Katina protests that that's why they've all got to fight harder. By Tasuku's judgement, she's been on edge ever since Kyosuke left...

Masaki makes it to the bridge with relatively little incident. Lefina's heard about Cybuster and its pilot from Daitetsu's reports (Masaki grumbles that the old man should mind his own business), and she asks if Masaki will lend the Hiryu his support. Unexpectedly, he agrees at once; the aliens are here for real now, and Shu probably won't be showing himself for a while. So, he'll focus on the more immediate problem and worry about Shu's intentions when the time comes.

An encoded transmission arrives from General Norman Slay; the Hiryu Kai is to fall back to the fourth defensive line, where it will rendezvous with the Hagane. Masaki thinks that it's been six months since he saw them.

Down at the Far East Base, Laker informs Daitetsu of the Hiryu's encounter with the Aerogaters. No trouble; Lefina may be inexperienced, but she's a fine captain. Furthermore, Sean Webley is her executive officer. Daitetsu comments that it's just like him to be supporting the next generation of officers on their old ship. The Hagane's new orders are to head up into space and rendezvous with the Hiryu, then monitor the White Star for activity. Daitetsu asks when to explain things to the crew, and Laker suggests that he do so after they've departed so that it's too late for anybody to back out to minimize the confusion.

Kirk has finished reassembling the R-GUN. The T-LINK system had been taken offline in order to gather more combat data from Radha and Viletta, though there was a tradeoff involved; without its connection to SRX, the Metal Destroyer's power was reduced. There's been no time to integrate the R-GUN's upgraded parts yet, so there's a long way yet to go.

:eng101: At this point in the original, Robert calls for Bullet to come help him adjust the Huckebein Mk. II. When he doesn't answer, Irm volunteers that he's most likely off with Kusuha looking at the Grungust Type-2 - which leads to Irm getting shanghaied into doing the job instead. The scene ends there, so both segments that follow are new.

Irm asks how much the SRX team knows about the project's full scope. Aya's been informed, but Ryusei and Rai still haven't been told everything - at Major Ingram's request, of course. Irm can't figure out the reason for this considering that he knows, and Robert adds that these days he just doesn't know what the Major is thinking. Eventually Irm shrugs it off, saying that he's always been that way.

Ryoto comes in to show Robert a schematic that he's been working on for a Full Armor Lion. Ideally the increased armor and weaponry will compensate for the Lion's relative weakness in close combat compared to the Guarlion. Also, in an emergency, it'll be able to make use of spare parts from other airframes. Kirk notes that the greatly increased weight is going to require a matching increase in propulsion, and Ryoto confesses that he might have been getting ahead of himself. However, Kirk doesn't think it's a bad idea - it's the sort of design Dr. Radom would come up with. Right now the R-series is the priority, but if the brass give their approval, Robert will get a team working on it.

Ryusei shares some good news with Kusuha: he's received an e-mail from his mom, and it looks like she might be released from the hospital soon. Contact with the outside has been forbidden for a while, but somehow this message made it through... either way, he's not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Relieved, Kusuha suggests that they get permission to go visit her, but Ryusei says he'll be going alone - it looks like somebody else is trying to get her attention right now.

"Um... excuse me!"
"Y-yes?"
"Would you care to go to the Japanese Samurai Museum with me!?"
"S-Samurai museum!?"
"Th-that's correct! I've heard that it's a great place to learn all about samurai! A-and... right now they're having a special exhibition on samurai hygiene!"
"Samurai... hygiene?"

"Why's he being so formal?"
"S-sorry, I'm really nervous!"

"....."
"S-so, um... would you like to go?"

"Sure, I'll go. I'm curious about... samurai hygiene."
"R-really? Yes! Thank you!"

I feel like I'm supposed to laugh at Bullet, but drat if he didn't pull it off after all. :golfclap:

"Mhmhmm... our little Bullet's growing up."
"He still has a lot to learn."
"In that case, do you want to follow them? Just to make sure they're okay, of course!"
"Go by yourself."
"Oh, you're no fun."
"Anyway, there's something in the air. We might be getting new orders soon."
"Ugh... when you get hunches like that, they're usually right..."

:eng101:This entire scene is new. In place of this in the original, there's a short scene of Excellen and Garnet whispering conspiratorially about how they need to "help things along" for a couple unspecified people. Giado and Ryusei are watching this, but figure there's no point in trying to understand women. Then Ryusei wonders where Aya's been, because he hasn't seen her for a while.

And that's it for today. Next time, we get the best mech in the game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Radha actually learned Rouse (+10 Will to surrounding pilots, but not the person using Rouse). Very useful later on in the game.

As for Lucky, it does show up with its own little icon before the dodge or the attack begins. Since it seems to haven't this time, that really was a moment of the RNG cutting you some slack there. The part about Russel nearly dying was probably the RNG offsetting its grace earlier.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Radha actually learned Rouse (+10 Will to surrounding pilots, but not the person using Rouse). Very useful later on in the game.

They changed how Rouse works in OGS to where it's the old-school +10 will to selected pilot. This caught me out on a certain stage later on. Meanwhile Hope is now a Twin Spirit and Radha still has it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

They changed how Rouse works in OGS to where it's the old-school +10 will to selected pilot. This caught me out on a certain stage later on. Meanwhile Hope is now a Twin Spirit and Radha still has it.
poo poo, that's right. Forgot that change, my bad.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
"Radha says they just haven't had enough people since Kyosuke, the ATX team, and Viletta left. Katina protests that that's why they've all got to fight harder"

And that right there, combined with this mission, is why I intensely dislike Katina. Tactically and strategically, she's a flaming moron with her head so far up her own butt that she's blipped into a new, intestinally-based reality. The smart move, which we saw here? :golfclap: Send the big, armored unit out front. Her move? "GRAWR, GOTTA KILL 'EM ALL MYSELF EVEN THOUGH I GET HIT ENOUGH YOU'D THINK I WAS MILHOUSE! *froths at mouth* " :ughh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This is not a good intro to Katina, you must admit.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Yeah, this is another case of 'because ~anime~', everyone rolling their eyes at Katina and going 'oh you' instead of locking her up and giving her giant robot to someone actually competent.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Yeah but if they did that then half the cast would be gone.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
And by the end that should be amended to 'The Entire Cast'. Well, except Masaki I guess, he is not actually a federation soldier, contractor, or even citizen so while the Feds would probably love to get the Cybuster and figure out what makes it work they don't actually hold any authority over Masaki himself. Be all "Arrest that man" "Sir he came from like Atlantis or some poo poo, we can only arrest him if we can catch him." "Then catch him, where was he headed?" "Antarctica". But being Masaki he's actually in the australian outback and the Feds never found him again.

Granted what Katina does here goes from "oh oops we ordered the pilot to do something stupid (like shoot down an ally for no discernible reason) and they suffered sudden com malfunction/mechanical failure/etc" to ordering her entire squadron, in defiance of direct and repeated orders, into enemy fire. Sure, both would probably get you dishonorable discharge/the firing squad in a real military, but the first is sensible for dramatic reasons and punishing characters for doing the right thing too much is just dumb. This stunt is... a bit much without SOME reaction.
I mean, a day in the brig is all I ask here. Something.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

The crew recognizes the Divine Crusaders' Granzon from the Hagane's reports. Katina is all set to go rip it a new one, but then Shu comes on the line and says that they've misunderstood. She doesn't see anything to misunderstand; he's a DC,

And Katina's a Marvel.

They really made the AI dumber in the remake? That seems counter to the way things are supposed to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SorataYuy posted:

And that right there, combined with this mission, is why I intensely dislike Katina.

Then I assume you dislike every character because they are literally all like that, except for a few of the Genius-style characters. "Character does something foolish in defiance of orders for a plot point" describes like the entire cast. (Hell, a few SR points are tied to doing it.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 12, 2015

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Well, we get something sort of along those lines in a couple missions. (Edit: in response to wanting to see Katina get in trouble.)

AradoBalanga posted:

As for Lucky, it does show up with its own little icon before the dodge or the attack begins. Since it seems to haven't this time, that really was a moment of the RNG cutting you some slack there. The part about Russel nearly dying was probably the RNG offsetting its grace earlier.

I actually didn't notice the new spirit until I was taking screenshots out of the video. Then I decided I was too lazy to dick around with Swap Magic again that night to verify the effect and checked the GBA version, hoping that they were the same.

I gambled and lost. :saddowns:

That was actually a 100% that Tasuku dodged there. Lucky gets the little popup if you have the animations turned off, but I have yet to actually see it with them turned on.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Montegoraon posted:

And Katina's a Marvel.

They really made the AI dumber in the remake? That seems counter to the way things are supposed to be.

I think basically OGs used AI closer to J and a few other games, where the AI would prioritize hitting something way above dealing any damage, so instead of firing at Latooni all day on 0% odds (but occasionally hitting a weaker dodger and OHKOing them) they'll popshot the Giganscudo for hours for 10 damage and not much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It's not even that, the AI in the remake is almost guaranteed to just attack whoever's closest.

• Locked thread