Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, some time between 23 and 24, they porked?

"We're gonna get new orders soon."
"Ugh. When you get hunches like that, they're usually right."
[off-screen anime magic]
"Kyosuke, let's try our love-love attack!"

:japan:

Well there was a timeskip between the defeat of the DC and the White Star showing up. A whole month or something, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Hunter Noventa posted:

Well there was a timeskip between the defeat of the DC and the White Star showing up. A whole month or something, right?

Six months. Everyone just kind of hung around fighting DC remnants or guarding Elpis.

Onmi posted:

eh the Aya thing is sorta implied still, it just takes a backseat to everyone else trying to win the Ryuseibowl.

Robots are more powerful with love, therefore the only correct answer is for the entire SRX team to be in love. Logic!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MarsDragon posted:

Robots are more powerful with love, therefore the only correct answer is for the entire SRX team to be in love. Logic!
Ah, the Fire Emblem school of thought.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Ah, the Fire Emblem school of thought.

If you really want to go whole hog on this, the correct course of action would be organizing a eugenics program.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

David Corbett posted:

If you really want to go whole hog on this, the correct course of action would be organizing a eugenics program.

I would be down with a SRW with Fire Emblem: Awakening's generation mechanics. It's not like Time Travel is anys tupider than Masaki's deal.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Probably the only way to make a SRW featuring Gundam AGE work, really.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

MarsDragon posted:

Probably the only way to make a SRW featuring Gundam AGE work, really.

Super Robot Wars: Generations of Doom. Featuring AGE and other robot tales that span generations like Eureka 7, Aquarion (again), Hathaway's Flash, Giant Robo, and uh... Mazinger...?

I'll be honest, I'd play a game that lets me breed my own Vector pilots and slap some sense into my robot-piloting children.

edit: ooh, that game would let me play as the dad in Captain Earth, too.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 18, 2015

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

vibratingsheep posted:

Super Robot Wars: Generations of Doom. Featuring AGE and other robot tales that span generations like Eureka 7, Aquarion (again), Hathaway's Flash, Giant Robo, and uh... Mazinger...?

I'll be honest, I'd play a game that lets me breed my own Vector pilots and slap some sense into my robot-piloting children.

edit: ooh, that game would let me play as the dad in Captain Earth, too.
It'd probably have Code Geass in it too, since Lelouch's mother was by all accounts a super ace pilot.

The Getter Robo manga would be another thing they could stick in - Getter Robo Ah features Ryouma's son. Or simply Getter Robo Armageddon if they're lazy.

Kotetsushin Jeeg.

Gun X Sword, so you can see Mexican GaoGaiGar in its prime.

Possibly Godannar too if they run with that theory that Anna's father is an older Kouji Kabuto that changed his name.

Dancouga Nova, with Aoi being explicitly Shinobu's daughter.

Deus Machina Demonbane is another thing they could stick in if they use the prequel novels where Old Man Hadou fights Master Therion with a barely working Demonbane. And wins.

Maybe throw in Gurren Lagann too so we can have the holy trinity of overpowered mecha in the finale.

VOTOMs sticks Chirico in cold storage for a while, so that can be used too.

UC Gundam could work quite well if it goes something like ZZ Gundam > Hathaway's Flash > Crossbone Gundam, since Judau shows up in Crossbone as an old man.

Gunbuster/Diebuster.

SDF Macross, Macross 7 and Macross Frontier.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 19, 2015

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
And for the extreme longshots...

Mega Man X > Mega Man Zero > Mega Man ZX

Shagohod and Metal Gear Zeke > Metal Gear Rex and Ray > Raiden and Bladewolf

Oh a manchild can dream. :allears:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I would be down with a SRW with Fire Emblem: Awakening's generation mechanics. It's not like Time Travel is anys tupider than Masaki's deal.

I was thinking more like Seisen no Keifu. I'm pretty sure I have never seen such a broken team as my second generation in that game.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Edit: quote != edit

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Alacron posted:

And for the extreme longshots...

Mega Man X > Mega Man Zero > Mega Man ZX

Shagohod and Metal Gear Zeke > Metal Gear Rex and Ray > Raiden and Bladewolf

Oh a manchild can dream. :allears:

Missing an era in the Metal Gear series there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-H0fmG9ffI

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord that combination attack is ridiculous. What kind of action does that use? Full turn, both mechs?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Combinations Attacks in SRW are attacks that can only be used when the component mechs and pilots are next to each other, (Only Kyouske and Excellen can use Rampage Ghost) their power is based off a particular weapon on the mech has. It takes energy from both mechs.

It does not take up both turns, so you can fire off mutliple if you want.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Technically they also work on diagonals, so Kyosuke can be anywhere in the eight spaces directly surrounding Excellen and Rampage Ghost will still work. Rarely there will be combinations of more than two mechs, in which case they can all be in a line or something. Just as long as none of them are one space or more away.

But you generally want them right next to each other for relationship bonuses anyway.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Combinations Attacks in SRW are attacks that can only be used when the component mechs and pilots are next to each other, (Only Kyouske and Excellen can use Rampage Ghost) their power is based off a particular weapon on the mech has. It takes energy from both mechs.

It does not take up both turns, so you can fire off mutliple if you want.

For full retardation, they can be fired as twin attacks and as support attacks from a twinned unit as well. OGs "Stop, stop, he's already dead!" videos tend to involve 4 combination attacks being thrown out at once, which makes them last 5 minutes.

I'm not sure if any of the main-line SRWs have had even more ridiculously long team attacks. Could you have 4 units in a squad all throwing out combination attacks at once?

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 19, 2015

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

For full retardation, they can be fired as twin attacks and as support attacks from a twinned unit as well. OGs "Stop, stop, he's already dead!" videos tend to involve 4 combination attacks being thrown out at once, which makes them last 5 minutes.

I'm not sure if any of the main-line SRWs have had even more ridiculously long team attacks. Could you have 4 units in a squad all throwing out combination attacks at once?

In @3, Z1 and Z3 combination attacks can only be used on player phase by a main unit. They can trigger squad attacks and support attacks (unkess they are ALLs) but can't be used as a support attack. I've never played @2 or the DS games with partner systems but I would imagine they work the same way.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

GilliamYaeger posted:

It'd probably have Code Geass in it too, since Lelouch's mother was by all accounts a super ace pilot.

The Getter Robo manga would be another thing they could stick in - Getter Robo Ah features Ryouma's son. Or simply Getter Robo Armageddon if they're lazy.

Kotetsushin Jeeg.

Gun X Sword, so you can see Mexican GaoGaiGar in its prime.

Possibly Godannar too if they run with that theory that Anna's father is an older Kouji Kabuto that changed his name.

Dancouga Nova, with Aoi being explicitly Shinobu's daughter.

Deus Machina Demonbane is another thing they could stick in if they use the prequel novels where Old Man Hadou fights Master Therion with a barely working Demonbane. And wins.

Maybe throw in Gurren Lagann too so we can have the holy trinity of overpowered mecha in the finale.

VOTOMs sticks Chirico in cold storage for a while, so that can be used too.

UC Gundam could work quite well if it goes something like ZZ Gundam > Hathaway's Flash > Crossbone Gundam, since Judau shows up in Crossbone as an old man.

Gunbuster/Diebuster.

SDF Macross, Macross 7 and Macross Frontier.

Technically Valvrave would work since the cast ends up as immortal ageless memory vampires and wouldn't age the whole time. They'd be hella irrelevant by the end but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 25

Norman welcomes Laker to Geneva, but the situation doesn't look good; in the wake of the aliens' request for surrender, the Federation has put the EOT Council in charge of negotiations, with Albert Gray officially heading up this conference. This is far too much like the fox guarding the henhouse for either soldier's liking. Norman hopes to use Brian Midcrid to try to change some minds; the colonies' president is on his way here now, and he owes the Federation military a great deal due to the war.

The conference begins, and starts off about like you'd expect. Albert seems to be half in a panic already, saying that it's madness to suggest fighting against an alien force with unknown capabilities. Norman asks what will become of humanity following their surrender, and Albert merely says that it's up to future negotiations. Nonetheless, they were clearly willing to negotiate, as we saw in Antarctica; if EOTI hadn't ruined everything, perhaps we wouldn't be in such dire straits now!

Brian: "A question, Ambassador. Do we know why the Aerogaters have come to Earth?"
Albert: "...That's still unclear."
Brian: "As president of the colonial union, I oppose a surrender at this point."
Albert: "Really, now... even with the White Star right there, as a blade against the colonies' throat?"
Brian: "True enough. If they have the force to back up their threats, with only what remains of the DCs, the colonies, and the Federation military, we probably wouldn't be able to defeat them."
Albert: "So you oppose fighting them?"
Brian: "The Earth sphere has just fought a war; we're exhausted. Starting another could be the death of us all."
Norman: "It sounds like you think we should surrender after all, Mr. President."

Brian: "No. Considering how little we know about the Aerogaters, we shouldn't surrender."
Albert: "But if we don't do as they say, they'll attack!"
Brian: "Will they? How do we know that this 'Levi Tolar' isn't bluffing?"
Albert: "!"
Brian: "Normally you request a surrender after you've dealt damage to the other side. But our losses to the Aerogaters have been insignificant... why request surrender?"
Albert: "That's... because they have overwhelming force."
Brian: "If so, why haven't they given a demonstration, instead of just telling us?"
Albert: "Th... that's..."

Brian: "And then there's the grace period they've given us. Thirty days, just to consider surrender? Rather generous, don't you think?"
Albert: "What are you suggesting?"
Brian: "General Norman, how long would it take to mobilize our forces for an attack on the White Star?"
Norman: "Including the adjustment period for our new units... twenty days."
Brian: "So thirty days gives us enough time to take the fight to them."
Albert: "R-Ridiculous! Are you suggesting the Aerogaters are inviting us to fight back?"
Brian: "Maybe."

Albert: "That's preposterous! How could they possibly benefit from that!? They've clearly given us this time to consider their terms!"
Brian: "Ambassador Gray... they're not human. We can't assume they see things the way we do. We have to find out their intentions, and then decide how to respond. Luckily, they've given us the time to do that."
Albert: "V... very well. I'll try to use the channels we have to pursue negotiations."

Albert: "But don't forget that the EOT Council has jurisdiction over this matter. That goes for you in particular, General Norman... during this grace period, I forbid you to fire on the Aerogaters!"
Norman: "What? Even if they attack us first?"
Albert: "Of course. If you violate this order, it'll be on your head."

"And from now on I want the Hagane and Hiryu Kai stationed here, defending Geneva."
(So that you can keep a close eye on them, you mean...)
"This conference is over, gentlemen. Good day."

:frogout:

Karl and Nibhal discuss the unexpected turn in the conference. Evidently dealing with Brian Midcrid was too much to expect of Albert. The colonies' president has been useful for keeping their people in line, but he's becoming a double-edged sword. Nibhal thinks that under the right circumstances, he could eventually rise to lead the entire Earth sphere... as with Shu Shirakawa, this is a man to keep an eye on.

Karl: "I trust there will be no trouble with the negotiations?"
Nibhal: "But of course. Leave the arrangements to me."
Karl: "This woman, 'Levi Tolar,' was not on the list you provided. Are you certain that she has no connection to your... country?"
Nibhal: "My apologies. We are by no means a united people. Not unlike yourselves."
Karl: "Hmph..."

Nibhal: (Now, then... let's see just what those pitiable vagrants intend.)

Tasuku's courtship of Leona still hasn't gone much of anywhere; she keeps saying she's busy. Irm advises her that she's just playing hard-to-get, speaking from his boundless experience.

Kyosuke has finished his maintenance on the Alt and has come by to have a look at the Wildraubtier, since he once piloted it. Tasuku comments on the unlikely transfer from the fragile Raubtier to the heavily-armored Alteisen. Irm says that "fragile" isn't the half of it, and fills Tasuku in on Kyosuke's little accident during the transformation test. The Gigan's pilot is appropriately awed; it sounds like Kyosuke could make a living as an escape artist. Kyosuke protests that he's not much good in front of crowds, but Tasuku figures Excellen could work as his assistant and warm them up by wearing a bunny suit or something. Irm likes the sound of that; Kyosuke asks them not to give her any ideas.

Irm: "Anyway... this guy's had the devil's luck for as long as I've known him. Back at the academy, he actually lived through a shuttle crash, if you can believe it."
Kyosuke: "That was a long time ago."
Irm: "Well, how about this. Did you know Excellen was also in that crash?"
Kyosuke: "...Huh?"
Irm: "So you two didn't meet in the hospital. The devil's luck at work, I guess."
Kyosuke: (...No way. Excellen... was there?)
Tasuku: "Wow, that's cool. It's like you're linked by fate or something."

As people may or may not remember, way back when Kyosuke and Excellen first met, she thought to herself that he helped her once before, even if he doesn't remember it. Most of their development comes in OG2 when the Impact storyline gets covered, but the writers dropped a few early tidbits in here.

In any case, if Kyosuke's mishap in the Raubtier means that the kinks finally got ironed out, he's okay with it. Irm reminds him that the accident only happened because Hans ordered the transformation test when he knew it wasn't ready, but Kyosuke again attributes the failure to his own inexperience. Irm figures that he and the Alt deserve each other, and Kyosuke admits that he seems to have an affinity for unruly machines.

Tasuku is taking notes, hoping to apply this little tidbit to his pursuit of Leona. Irm proposes a bet with Kyosuke on whether he succeeds, with the loser buying drinks. Kyosuke bets on Tasuku's success; Irm's observation that he always picks the long shot doesn't really reassure the poor guy very much.

Leona: "Raidiese... I hear I owe you my thanks."
Rai: "For what?"
Leona: "You put in a good word for me with captain Daitetsu, didn't you?"
Rai: "I just thought we needed more firepower."
Leona: "Heh... you're just as curt as Major Elzam. It must be genetic."

Rai: "...Don't compare me to him."
Leona: "You still haven't found it in you to forgive him?"
"......"
Rai: "When the Elpis Incident happened, he killed Cattleya. There's nothing else to say."

Leona: "He had no choice... the terrorists had occupied the docking bay. If he hadn't destroyed it, we would all be dead."
Rai: "With his skill, he could have saved her!"
Leona: "Raidiese..."
Rai: "But he didn't. Even though she was a hostage, he still fired!"
Leona: "There was no time... a little longer, and the gas would've spread through the colony."
Rai: "So instead, Elzam threw his wife's life away! And my father didn't even care!"

Leona: "Have you ever thought of how he must have felt, when he pulled the trigger?"
Rai: "...!"
Leona: "To save everyone else, he had to make a choice. Have you even once considered how it would feel to shoot somebody you loved?"
Rai: "....."
Leona: "You haven't. You have no right to call yourself a Branstein!"

Irm: "...Looks like we overheard something we shouldn't have."
Tasuku: (So, Leona and this Elzam guy... does that mean I have a rival?)

Yes, Tasuku. That's exactly what it means. You figured it out, with your awesome mood-reading skills. :doh:

Meanwhile, at the Far East Base...

Hans informs Joyce that due to circumstances, Princess Shine is no longer safe here and needs to be moved to a more secure location. Joyce has heard nothing about this from Laker, but Hans simply says that there's no time.

Shine can already sense that something isn't right due to her predictive abilities (or maybe due to the fact that it's Hans we're talking about), and flat-out refuses to go. Joyce is likewise reluctant to move without confirmation from Laker.

Deciding that he's wasted enough time, Hans drops the pretense and pulls a gun.

The command center is in chaos; the alert level has suddenly dropped to D. The operator reports that this was done on Hans' authorization, yet he's nowhere in sight. At the same time, a transport is preparing for takeoff - again, on Hans' clearance.

Welcome back, Operator B! Glad to see you recovered after getting blown up way back in Mission 8.

Mission 25: Viper's Fangs

Hans ignores Sakae's transmissions and orders his shuttle to take off. In response, Sakae orders the base defenses to disable his shuttle, but that only lasts until Hans reveals that he has a hostage: Princess Shine. Kai demands an explanation, but Hans merely says that he's been waiting to bid farewell to this miserable place.

Enemy troops are closing in, and incoming fire damages the hangar so that no more interceptors can be launched. It's the Divine Crusaders; they've been able to get this close to the base undetected due to Hans' lowering of the alert level. He's betrayed the base to the enemy, just like he's said he was going to do in every single appearance.

Thomas: "Hans Weber. Any trouble?"
Hans: "As Adler requested, I have Princess Shine in custody."
Thomas: "Good! Looks like an easy retrieval."
Hans: "Major Pratt. I don't appreciate your lack of respect... you're addressing a superior officer."
Thomas: "You've got quite a mouth on you, for a spy. I'm here to collect the Princess, your job is to deliver her. That's all there is to it. Capice?"
Hans: "You insubordinate...!"
Thomas: "Oh, relax. I'll get you out of here."

I see the two of them hit it off. You're all right, Thomas. :unsmith:

Until the Hagane and Hiryu return, it looks like Kai will have to hold the line...

Objectives. Kill everybody, don't lose Kai, clear the map in 6 turns for the battle mastery.

Hans and Thomas are over in the corner here. Spoiler: we're not stopping Hans and Thomas.

We're on the Far East Base map yet again. There's around a dozen Lions to the left, another half-dozen or so Barrelions up top, four Guarlions, and a Killer Whale. On our side, we have one ex-Aggressor.

I don't think they brought enough people. :kamina:

Thanks to my awesome powers of precognition I know that only the Lions over here are going to move at first, so Kai stakes out a spot on a base structure to wait for them.

Even with Kai piloting it, a Gespenst is still a Gespenst, so he takes a couple shots to kill each one. Also, this one jerk in front of him is also parked on the base and will get a free repair, so he takes three shots. What a bastard.

On the second enemy phase, Hans makes his escape, with Kai shouting uselessly after him. Thomas figures that's a wrap, and doesn't really feel like dealing with the enemy carriers, so he orders his men to finish the base quickly while he departs.

So, I guess there's nothing left but to vent our frustrations on everybody else. Kai's in a good position already, so I'll just have him stay there on turn 3. Yes, this means we're going to have around three turns to clear out the rest of the map. Nothing to worry about.

On the next enemy phase the ships arrive, only to discover that they're too late.

Upon hearing the full story, the crew is all set to go after Hans and exact some long-overdue payback (and rescue Shine, I guess), but Kyosuke vetoes the idea at once. The first priority has to be protecting the base; with the Federation still recovering from the war, they can't afford to lose it. Furthermore, the enemy obviously needs Shine for something, so they're unlikely to harm her. And as for Hans... they'll deal with him properly later.

For route-division purposes I'm counting the Valsione as a Ryusei unit and whatever Leona ends up piloting as a Kyosuke one. Of course, this time the computer assigns Ingram to the R-GUN automatically. I swiped Latooni's fun-rifle to give him an edge in catching up.

Of course it's still the enemy phase. The Guarlions make their move on Kai. He has enough morale to one-shot the Lions with Jet Magnum now, although I'm going to have him hold back and use his machine gun instead to leave them at low health. With any luck Ingram can get over there and farm some easy experience.

This is a little easier said than done, given that the buildings right in front of us are an obstacle to land-bound units, even with Accelerate.

The rifle evens things out, though. So does Valor, which Ingram just learned. :getin:

Pretty much everybody else heads over towards the other enemies. I need to grab Kyosuke some kills (around 30, actually), but with the Alt behind on upgrades and the enemies mostly composed of tougher Barrelions, that may be a little tricky. At the same time my battleship captains need to level up. Such a dilemma.

Lune's Cross Smasher has a very long range.

Unfortunately it's not post-movement, but it does make her an ideal candidate for learning Revenge so she can fire back at half the map on the enemy phase for increased damage.

Ingram heads over to Kai's position; I send a couple of flying units (the Raubtier and G-Hawk) along behind, just in case he needs the help. Seeing as how we only have two turns left at this point, and all. :ohdear:

Kyosuke makes use of Assail and his claymores to pick up a couple double-kills. The next couple missions should hopefully be better for kill-farming than this one was.

The enemies here really aren't tough, but they're spread out a bit and by the time your troops arrive, you have limited time to take them out. Those Barrelions on the left aren't going to budge an inch, so you have to rush people over to kill them. On the other hand, if you've made it this far you've had plenty of time to practice appropriate map-clearing tactics.

During the course of mopping up all the Lions, Ingram claws his way up from level 23 to 26. He's on pretty comfortable ground here.

By the beginning of Turn 6, the enemies are wiped out.

:toot:

Kyosuke version:

We have Leona as a pilot now. Contrary to popular belief, she isn't a Genius, but she does have Telekinesis and the support skills, as well as having Attacker and Hit & Away out of the gate. We need something better than a Guarlion to put her in, though.

There's no need to worry about Ingram's level over here; I swap Katina into the R-GUN for a mission, since she was so eager to pilot it. If you do this, she has an extra line upon launching:

(You just watch, Kyosuke. I'm gonna master the R-GUN... and then I'll leave you in my dust!)

Leona doesn't get much chance to shine in this mission (her Guarlion is just a so-so mech), but she still picks up a kill or two. We do finally get to be the ones dishing out Sonic Breakers instead of receiving them, but without BOSS POWER behind it it's a bit underwhelming.

She also got a new theme in the remake, and it's pretty nice.

Instead of Ingram hogging all the kills down in the corner here, I have Tasuku go down and rake in the cash instead.

And that's about it. Really, with no bosses or nasty surprises or anything it's just a breather before we move into the Act 2 finale.

Back at HQ, things are looking like a mess. Hans knows the ins and outs of the Federation radar network, so they've been unable to track his shuttle's movements. Rio and Ryusei are furious and want to do something, but Rai needlessly reminds them that they don't even know where the DC remnants are based - and all the while, the White Star is just overhead.

Rio: "What, we have bigger problems, so we're going to sacrifice her? Is that it, Lieutenant?!"
Rai: "...!"
Rai: (It's the same... as with Cattleya.)

Kusuha: "Rio... let it go. Lt. Raidiese is just as worried about her as you..."
Rio: "...! I... I'm sorry..."
Rai: "Don't be. She's alive... which means she can be rescued."
Rio: "Okay!"

Ingram announces that they're on standby until Laker returns, at which time they'll chart out their future strategy. As the crew files out, he pulls Ryusei and Rai aside; once Aya returns, they'll be starting a specialized training program.

Masaki and Giado gripe about having a traitor under their very noses all along. Irm points out that Hans was far from the first, or the only one; when the war began, a large number of Federation personnel left to join Bian and Maier. Among them were Elzam Branstein and Sanger Zonvolt. Masaki's out of the loop, so Ms. Excellen takes the opportunity to fill her new student (and Ryusei-route players) in on what happened.

Excellent: "He was like Kyosuke and Bullet's mentor. Get it, Masa?"
Masaki: "Hey, don't just assign nicknames to people!"
Bullet: (Oh man, he's dancing to her tune already...)

Irm adds that Sanger and Elzam were Aggressors, just like Major Kai, and wonders what it is that makes people you thought you knew betray you. Bullet disagrees with calling it a "betrayal," reasoning that they went to the enemy in order to better test our strength. Masaki is more interested in Hans; do they suppose he left for the same reason? Giado shoots that idea down at once - Hans is just a jackass who probably left in exchange for power or money.

Irm agrees with that assessment, and it explains Hans' attempt to sabotage the Raubtier; at the time, the DCs' Lion was the only flying mech, and he was trying to keep the Federation from getting an advantage. This catches Excellen and Bullet's attention, since Kyosuke never told them about the accident in detail. Bullet is disgusted with the general lack of manly honor involved, though Giado figures that attitude makes him an easy target for spies.

Still, Excellen actually feels sorry for Hans - after all, now he's gotten Kyosuke mad. Garnet can't picture it, but Excellen just cryptically tells her about the darkness of the human soul - on which Irm helpfully backs her up. Excellen turns serious, thinking about the more pressing issue of the princess; what are the DCs planning for her?

Laker returns and takes immediate charge of the situation, ordering the ships' key personnel to convene for a strategy meeting.

Daitetsu: "Thirty days?"
Sakae: "Yes... that's the grace period we were given."
Daitetsu: "Strange. Why wouldn't the Aerogaters just attack us at once?"
Tetsuya: "Maybe they're not here to conquer us?"
Sean: "If they're here for sightseeing, the White Star is a strange choice of vehicle. Incidentally, Commander... was there any video of that woman, Levi Tolar?"
Laker: "No, only her voice."
Sean: "That's a pity. I was curious about what the alien women looked like, but..."
Daitetsu: "This isn't the time, Sean."

Laker: "In any case, given the technological disparity, if they engaged in an all-out attack... well, Earth would be devastated in only days."
Tetsuya: "That quickly..."
Daitetsu: "They've been observing us for years; our military power, our technology..."
Sean: "Furthermore, with their weaponry, their warp capabilities... it may be a matter of hours, rather than days."
Tetsuya: "Hours?!"
Sean: "For that matter, the White Star itself could even be a gigantic bomb, meant for planetary destruction."
Tetsuya: "Th-the Aerogaters are trying to destroy Earth?"
Sean: "If not the entire solar system."
Tetsuya: "...!"

You're the worst, Sean. :allears:

Lefina: "XO, stop making fun of Tetsuya."
Tetsuya: "C-Captain Lefina..."
Lefina: "If the Aerogaters meant to destroy the Earth, they would have done it already. There would be no point in revealing themselves to us, or in requesting surrender."
Tetsuya: "I... I see..."
Sean: "Hmhmm... you have a great deal to learn, if you're going to be Daitetsu's aide."

Tetsuya: "But still, destroying the Earth... if it's even a possibility, I don't think we can discount it."
Sean: "Oh? Why is that?"
Tetsuya: "Levi Tolar didn't say what they would do when the grace period expired. In other words, in thirty days, there's no telling what will happen. I think we need to be ready to assume the worst."
Sean: "Hmm... perhaps I was too quick to judge you."
Daitetsu: "Of course, he's my protege. Though he can't hold his liquor."
Sean: "Ah, such a waste."
Tetsuya: (Are they still teasing me...?)

As we already saw, Laker and General Norman share Tetsuya's basic assessment; however, due to the EOT Council's maneuvering, they're in no position to do anything about it, having been forbidden to take action against the aliens. Daitetsu and Sean figure that they'll just have to respond to situations as they arise, but it looks like that's not really an option either. Both ships have been summoned to Geneva for the coming month, and should either of them violate their orders, General Norman and the Earth Defense Project will be stripped of what little influence they have left. There's nothing for it but to follow orders and go as requested.

Radha and Ryoto have been digging round in the Valsione's computer; since it's technically a DC machine, there may be some data in there that will lead them to Adler's hideaway - and hopefully, to the princess. Ryoto's come across a password-protected file.

Ryoto: "If we guess the password from this prompt, we should be able to get in...
Radha: "...! That's it!"
Ryoto: "You figured it out!?"
Radha: "No, not that... I just thought of an asana to clear your mind."
Ryoto: "L... let's just stay on topic."
Radha: "Then, how about you, Kuro, Shiro?"
Shiro: "You've gotta be kidding me!"
Masaki: (Do they even have yoga poses for cats?)

Lune: "Hey, Ryoto... what's the prompt for that password?"
Ryoto: "'When the wicked do as they will...' Something's supposed to come after."
Lune: "Oh, that's easy. Put in 'Do not wait for Heaven's judgement.'"
Ryoto: "Okay..."

*beep*
Ryoto: "That was it!"
Lune: "See?"
Masaki: "...What was that password?"
Lune: "Oh, that. It's the opening narration from an old samurai drama I liked."

:eng101: Googling around shows this line coming from Hissatsu Shiokinin, a TV series from the '70s that I don't know anything else about. Sorry.

Masaki is duly impressed with her knowledge, which improves her mood right off. Inside the protected directory Ryoto finds a data file, with a video attached...

"Lune, my dear... if you're watching this video, then I've passed on. I am leaving this data in the Valsione in case you should have need of it. Use it as you see fit..."

The data turns out to be a treasure trove: information on the Divine Crusaders' forces, EOT, the Aerogaters... This should easily help them narrow down the DC remnants' location.

(Dad... you were still thinking about me...)

Robert comes looking for Ryoto; the tech crew finished its work ahead of schedule, so they were able to go ahead and put his design into action. The finished product, the Full Armor Lion, is now ready for use.

Aya reports back to Ingram after her work with her father. It may not be optimally configured yet, but the R-3 is functional and she's ready to fight alongside her teammates. There's still some time until the upgraded parts for it and the R-2 are ready as well, so they'll have to use that time to continue training with the T-Link System.

Aya has one question: Did Ingram know that Ryusei's mother was at the Institute? Ingram readily says that he did, though when Aya reacts, he tells her that Yukiko had no connection to the accident. In any case, Ryusei will be kept in the dark about this - especially since his own mother didn't see fit to tell him.

(Yukiko Date... had you not lost your powers, then...)

The analysis of the data recovered from Lune's mech is complete, and the DC remnants' fortress has been pinpointed: the Earth Cradle, a subterranean facility in Kenya. Construction on it had been halted, but the sudden increase in recent activity means it's almost certainly our enemies' base - and if it's anything like the Moon Cradle in design, it will be a very tough nut to crack. The captains' hands are tied, however; they have to go to Geneva, or risk the consequences. However, given the city's importance to the DCs as a political target, it seems likely that we'll be fighting their main force soon enough...

After the mission we receive the Armorlion, a new mech to the remake. It's a Lion that smashes into things and makes them explode.

So, we got ourselves a snazzy new machine, Shine is temporarily absent, and Hans has given us an excuse to kill him.

Best day on the base ever?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have to admit, my eyes just completely glazed over on the conference scene. Anyone wanna summarize for a nerd who's just here for the giant robot fights?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Poison Mushroom posted:

I have to admit, my eyes just completely glazed over on the conference scene. Anyone wanna summarize for a nerd who's just here for the giant robot fights?

Albert wants to surrender, Brian wipes the floor with him in an argument, and then Albert says HA HA GUESS WHAT I'M IN CHARGE THAT MEANS I WIN and they're planning to go ahead with the surrender anyway.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh, and apparently Nibhel is an alien.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Also, :siren:VOTING TIME!:siren: We need pilots for the Armorlion. One for Ryusei's version, one for Kyosuke's.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Seyser Koze posted:

Also, :siren:VOTING TIME!:siren: We need pilots for the Armorlion. One for Ryusei's version, one for Kyosuke's.

Ryusei's Armorlion : Ryoto
Kyosuke's: Kyosuke.

(Rampage ghost makes the game too easy)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ryusei: Ryoto

Kyosuke: Leona

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ryusei: Ryoto

Kyosuke: Katina

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ryoto for Ryusei's side.
Rio for Kyosuke's side.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ryoto should be allowed to use his own mech on Ryusei's side. For Kyosuke, I always give the Armorlion to Russel, he can make use of its armour.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ryoto should be allowed to use his own mech on Ryusei's side. For Kyosuke, I always give the Armorlion to Russel, he can make use of its armour.

Yeah, Russel actually sounds pretty good calling the attacks in the Armorlion, so I second this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Ryoto and Russel for Ryusei and Kyosuke.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I used Russel my last time though, and he's pretty good in it. He should work well enough for Kyosuke route, then. For Ryusei, I'll go with Ryoto too, why not. Though I don't think he's actually that suited to it...

As for the stage itself, Hans, why are you defecting after the DC lost? That doesn't make any sense!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MarsDragon posted:

I used Russel my last time though, and he's pretty good in it. He should work well enough for Kyosuke route, then. For Ryusei, I'll go with Ryoto too, why not. Though I don't think he's actually that suited to it...

As for the stage itself, Hans, why are you defecting after the DC lost? That doesn't make any sense!

presumably because he thinks Humanity is hosed and he wants in the Earth Cradle?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Onmi posted:

presumably because he thinks Humanity is hosed and he wants in the Earth Cradle?

That is pretty much exactly what he says in a couple missions.

On the topic of the actual mission, is the lack of general response to the update because I did more straight-up copying of the script this time, or just because the mission itself was kind of a snoozer?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

On the topic of the actual mission, is the lack of general response to the update because I did more straight-up copying of the script this time, or just because the mission itself was kind of a snoozer?
The latter, for me at least.

The talking heads part at the start does drain a lot of interest from the stage, coupled with the very obviously suspicious Hans revealing himself to people who saw his betrayal coming from low Earth orbit just makes this stage more of a ho-hum event overall. Yes, there are some interesting tidbits in there (Rai and Leona, Armorlion at the end in the remake, Brian's smackdown of Albert, Lune finding what amounts to her father's last will and testament), but overall this is a dull stage that's putting Act 2 of the game into high gear more than anything else.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kai is not back permanently and I'm not okay with that.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much setup for the villainy of a guy whose villainy hasn't been under question since his first appearance. Then after he gets away, a bunch of people stand around going "Boy, that explains a lot" and "that guy sure will be satisfying to beat up later" and the curtain closes.

Also, there wasn't enough Leona. But that might be personal bias showing, I dunno.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think the only real shocking revelation here was that one of our government dudes is, in fact, a secret alien of some kind. And frankly, Nibhal is like the least memorable or important dude ever, so...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I think the only real shocking revelation here was that one of our government dudes is, in fact, a secret alien of some kind. And frankly, Nibhal is like the least memorable or important dude ever, so...

Also the implication that there's more than the Aerogaters out there.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
The only really interesting part that doesn't really get telegraphed like Western Union is Lune and her father's secret data, and Katina showing an emotion other than RAAAAAGE! This stage is something of a snoozer with not a lot of emotional payoff (we don't even get to take a potshot at Hans, after all.) Ryoto and Russel, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Really, all this "non-aggression orders" thing is doing is telling us, the player, that we're going to spend the next five or ten missions punching DC remnants in the face instead of taking on the much more obvious threat, because bureaucratic process. Also,

Onmi posted:

Kai is not back permanently and I'm not okay with that.

• Locked thread