Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Onmi posted:

Also the implication that there's more than the Aerogaters out there.

Yeah he quite blatantly calls the White Star aliens 'vagrants', implying that he's unaffiliated with them. His presence in the government as a trusted advisor, combined with Shuu's comments in Antarctica, heavily imply that the Aerogaters were not the aliens that the government were planning to surrender to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah he quite blatantly calls the White Star aliens 'vagrants', implying that he's unaffiliated with them. His presence in the government as a trusted advisor, combined with Shuu's comments in Antarctica, heavily imply that the Aerogaters were not the aliens that the government were planning to surrender to.

And more importantly, He knows this, but Karl and Albert do NOT realize that these are different aliens than the ones in Anarctica.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The important thing about this update is Bian Zoldark watching old samurai dramas with hsi daughter, teaching her the way of the :japan:.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Seyser Koze posted:

On the topic of the actual mission, is the lack of general response to the update because I did more straight-up copying of the script this time, or just because the mission itself was kind of a snoozer?

It's because it was a filler mission. We had the Big Reveal of Hans being secretly a traitor, some minor information on the aliens and that's it.
Although I enjoyed Kyosuke telling the guys that wanted Hans' head there and now "Business, then pleasure", with the implication that there would be more time for pleasure his way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There is one fun little line, where Excellen says she feels bad for the guy because he made Kyosuke mad.

Remember that line.

Then remember it again in the OG2 part.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Poison Mushroom posted:

Then remember it again in the OG2 part.

Assuming both I and my hardware live that long. :ohdear:

Anyway, support for Ryoto is pretty much unanimous and it looks like Russell has quite a lead as well, so I'm going to call it now and record the next mission.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's kind of silly to make a big deal out of that, I've always thought. Yeah, pissing off Kyosuke will get you punched...but it's not like pissing off any main character will get you any less punched. They're all main characters in a robot game, making them mad is obviously a bad idea.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MarsDragon posted:

It's kind of silly to make a big deal out of that, I've always thought. Yeah, pissing off Kyosuke will get you punched...but it's not like pissing off any main character will get you any less punched. They're all main characters in a robot game, making them mad is obviously a bad idea.

While I agree with this, I'm going to pretend it is because when Kyosuke gets mad, he kills his enemies using nothing but his best :iceburn: until they die of shame.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Section Z posted:

While I agree with this, I'm going to pretend it is because when Kyosuke gets mad, he kills his enemies using nothing but his best :iceburn: until they die of shame.

And It Don't Stop in the next Super Robot Wars, please.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I figure the general idea is if you get Kyosuke mad enough to come after you, when he actually comes after you it's in a fuckoff choo-choo obliterator train that will slam you in the face with a million explodes and good luck slowing him down. Even if you blew up the Alt he'd probably just eject from the cockpit carrying a revolver jackhammer and start running at you.

Totally on board with the Ryoto for Ryusei and Russel for Kyosuke votes too. I love the Armorlion and am really looking forwards to it in action. It's one of the reasons I'm so fond of Ryoto, he has all these little character growth things on the side and you see him develop in little bits and pieces.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Pfft, no idea what Excellen is on about, Kyosuke's always calm

EDIT: Fine fine, but the only thing it spoils is "Kyosuke will get calm"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 23, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

Spoilers for later in Kyosuke's route
Dude, put that behind spoiler tags (even if you took the scene out of context).

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I figure the general idea is if you get Kyosuke mad enough to come after you, when he actually comes after you it's in a fuckoff choo-choo obliterator train that will slam you in the face with a million explodes and good luck slowing him down. Even if you blew up the Alt he'd probably just eject from the cockpit carrying a revolver jackhammer and start running at you.

Yeah but...the same could be said about pretty much any main pilot we have. It's not like Masaki's just gonna give up and go home if you damage Cybuster, as Shu well knows. You can convince him there are bigger things at stake, but Kyosuke just held off himself right in this very mission, so still not really seeing much a difference between Kyosuke and anyone else.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

MarsDragon posted:

Yeah but...the same could be said about pretty much any main pilot we have. It's not like Masaki's just gonna give up and go home if you damage Cybuster, as Shu well knows. You can convince him there are bigger things at stake, but Kyosuke just held off himself right in this very mission, so still not really seeing much a difference between Kyosuke and anyone else.

Well, just keep that in mind for later.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Even if you blew up the Alt he'd probably just eject from the cockpit carrying a revolver jackhammer and start running at you.

Between his otherwise impassive demeanor (barring That One Thing, The Best Thing), preference for piloting deathtrap machines, and general ability to not die, ever, Kyosuke is basically already the OG equivalent of Chirico Cuvie, I can totally see him trying to take on giant robots with only a sidearm if sufficiently motivated.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 23, 2015

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AradoBalanga posted:

Lune finding what amounts to her father's last will and testament

Which boiled down to "Hey sweetie, I filled my organization with bloodthirsty and/or power-hungry assholes, and now that I'm dead like I'd planned all along, they're probably on the rampage, so I need you to be a dear and go stop them for me. Have fun storming the Earth Cradle!" :thumbsup:

You can sort of see what Lune meant when she said Bian wasn't the best dad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

What are you talking about, he built up a strong enemy so she could defeat them and become a great hero!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I would love for one of the SRW games to feature pilots bailing out of their destroyed mechs and coming at you with MANPADs that do like ten damage apiece.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
That manga page :gonk:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

I would love for one of the SRW games to feature pilots bailing out of their destroyed mechs and coming at you with MANPADs that do like ten damage apiece.

I'd love an SRW with a system like Front Mission 3 where you can literally punch enemies out of their mechs and then steal them for mad cash or upgrades.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

In a sense, that's more or less SRW1. I think there's a similar sort of system in SRW GC for the Gamecube too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

In a sense, that's more or less SRW1. I think there's a similar sort of system in SRW GC for the Gamecube too.

GC's is a little different.

It uses the Parts system. Every unit has Head, Body, Legs and Arms. You have to destroy the body to destroy the unit but damaging Arms, Legs or Head can disable weapons or reduce stats. (You can only do this if you're a couple of size categories smaller than the enemy or have the special Aiming skill.). Take out all of a unit's non-essential parts and you can capture it, assuming it isn't a unique ace-piloted unit. (The sole exception here is Bernie from 0080 who is the tutorial for the Parts system and is saved by Kira Yamatoing him as Chris.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, this is pretty peak distraction time. I suppose we should be grateful he got it out of the way early.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 26

The voters have spoken (more decisively than usual), and Ryoto gets the Armorlion. I'm shifting Leona over into the Raubtier for the moment.

The R-3 is finally ready to go, which means the SRX team members are reunited for the first time in months. Aya apologizes for being away for so long, but Ryusei actually seems more concerned about her. She's not looking well; is something wrong? She reassures him that there's no problem, and he takes this at face value. Rai, however, senses that she may not be entirely truthful.

The pilots get briefed on their upcoming departure for Geneva; they can expect DC contact, so stay frosty. Word has circulated among the crew that they've pinpointed the remnants' base in the Earth Cradle, and the question on everybody's mind is why the hell they aren't heading over there right now to assault it and finish them off.

The answer, of course, is wrapped up in politics, and nobody is happy to hear about the EOT Council yanking their chain. Ingram says not to worry, as they'll be getting their final battle soon enough in any case. There's a deadline now; in 30 days, the Federation will be giving its response to the alien demands, which means the DCs have to assault Geneva and install their new regime before then. When they do, it will be with all of the forces at their disposal.

:3:

Latooni speaks up with a question: what is going to become of Princess Shine? Ingram tells her that if they have the opportunity, rescuing her is a high priority, which seems to satisfy the pilot. Tasuku asks who the new girl is, and has to be told (again) - all she did was change her glasses! He approves of the change, prompting an acerbic response from Leona that he's the sort who judges women on their appearance. He protests that that's not it at all, but when Garnet helpfully says that a woman's measurements are important too, he immediately agrees. Leona doesn't much approve of his sense of humor.

Rio asks Latooni about the change, and Latooni reveals that Shine gave them to her, saying that they'd look better. She wishes that the princess could see her wearing them; Rio promises that they'll be rescuing her, without fail.

:eng101: The normal, transparent glasses and uniform are new to the remake. At this point in OG1 Latooni does away with her original appearance, but just goes back to the dress she wore back in Ryusei 10. From that point on it was all goth-loli, all the time.

The ships get underway on their journey, and before too long they're over the Taklamakan desert. Sean has some fun confusing Eun on whether she has the name right, at least until Lefina makes him behave. There's been no sign of the DCs yet, but he expects that to change shortly; if the enemy commander wanted to stop them from crossing Asia, this would be the place for an ambush.

Lune volunteers to go out on recon; Lefina is reluctant to let her go alone, but Masaki immediately says he'll be going with her. They both have high-mobility machines, and between Cybuster's Cyflash and the Valsione's Psycho Blaster they should be able to hold their own for a while if outnumbered. Lefina still thinks it's too dangerous; if the enemies spot a couple of high-profile targets like them, they'll be swarmed in no time. Sean figures that's actually a good idea; rather than recon, they can serve as a decoy. This was Lune's plan all along, and Lefina agrees to the mission - on the condition that they fall back if outnumbered.

Lune apologizes to Masaki for dragging him along on this. He says not to worry, since he's got a bone to pick with the DCs as well after what happened with Shine - and he can't really let Lune go alone, can he? Lune's reaction to this is mixed, but Masaki heads out without waiting for a response.

:eng101:Masaki and Lune's relationship was generally more combative in the original. Or rather, she's up-front about being interested in him and he's making a big show of not being interested in her.

Katina's at it yet again; this time she's appealing to Lefina to let her use the Huckebein 008L, arguing that they need the firepower. Sean shuts her down immediately; after the 008R's accident, the 008L has been on lockdown, and that's how it's going to stay. Katina leaves without a word, and Sean comments that her pride is getting to be a problem. Now they have two bombs waiting to go off...

Russell, meanwhile, is trying to track Katina down without success. Garnet comments that he's got it rough; it must be stressful working under her. Russell says that he's accustomed to it, but then Leona joins in as well, saying that Katina really isn't suited to having subordinates. He thinks she has her good points, and Garnet comments on how she knows exactly how to handle Tasuku. Leona's still mad at Tasuku from before, and Garnet realizes with glee that she's found somebody new to tease.

Katina: (I don't get it... the Captain and XO still think I need to prove myself?)
Russell: "Oh, there you are, Lieutenant! Is... something wrong?
Katina: "...No."
*launch*
Katina: "Huh? Where are Cybuster and the Valsione going?"
Russell: "They're heading out on a reconnaissance mission."
Katina: "Recon... prep my machine, I'm going after them!"
Russell: "Huh!?"
Garnet: "Wha... hey, Lieutenant! Where are you going!?"

Mission 26: His Resolve

No sign of the enemy yet, but the cats are picking up a jamming signal; reasoning that where there's smoke, there's fire, Lune decides to look closer. Kuro worries what they'll do if the enemies really appear...

...And then she finds out, because they do!

Siebel is irritated that he's run into enemies so soon after the drop - but if he eliminates these two, his standing in the DC will increase. And then, when Adler and Sanger are dead... he will command the Divine Crusaders! :drac:

Masaki asks what they should do now, but Lune has an axe to grind with the DCs and isn't planning to fall back to the carriers. He figured she'd say that, and since he owes them some payback for Antarctica, he'll be sticking around too. (The cats aren't sure why he's so hung up on Antarctica, since he was wandering around lost for most of the event in the first place.)

Here's our map. It's... a desert. :geno:

On the enemy side we've got a bunch of Lions, Landlions, and Barrelions, in front of Siebel's Rhinoceros. What's new is that nearly all of the enemy units are twins. Let's all take a moment to laugh at the one schmuck on the bottom who nobody liked enough to partner with. :haw:

We also have these ruins of something or other over here. Is that a coliseum?

Anyway, we're a long way away, so off we go.

On the enemy phase of turn 2, more units appear surrounding the Valsione. Siebel thinks that as the former commander's daughter, Lune is a hindrance to his own advancement... how fortuitous that he has the chance to kill her here!

Lune: "Hey wait a minute! Get over here and fight me like a man!"
Siebel: "Hmph... Leave that foolishness for Sanger. My strategy will bring me victory."
Lune: "You just like having people to boss around! You call this a plan?"

Kuro: "Um... maybe you shouldn't be trying to provoke him right now..."
Lune: "Nothing to worry about, just you watch. Puffed-up guys like this are all the same."
Siebel: "Y... you miserable brat! I'll teach you to laugh at me!"

Kuro: "I warned you..."
Lune: "What did I tell you..."
Masaki: "I guess that's one way to make him tip his hand..."
Lune: "That's right!"
Siebel: "Grrr... destroy the Valsione, now!"

And now the battle is joined, and it's a little trickier than you'd expect. The Landlions in particular are surprisingly accurate, which leaves you with a bit of a dilemma. If Cybuster is in its humanoid form your dodge rates will be just weak enough that you're liable to get hit multiple times, while if it's in Cybird mode it doesn't have the attack range to hit much of anything. I luck out here and he only gets tagged once.

As for Lune, well... I didn't remember that those Guarlions were going to pop up and didn't cast Focus beforehand.

It's a nice touch that they have a separate cloudless sky background for the desert map. Actually, I think this is the only desert battle in OG1.

YAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Cross Smasher shreds the Guarlions pretty hard.

Then Lune gets hit. That's... not good, considering that one more of these will kill her. Really, to be reasonably sure of her survival you need to equip her with some mobility-boosting items before the mission starts.

Luckily, this line of Guarlions over here has lower hit rates and the odds work out in our favor. And yes, the Guarlions will go after Lune pretty much exclusively.

On turn 3 reinforcements show up, sooner than expected, but it's only Katina by herself. Masaki remarks that she's out of her mind, coming out here alone; she, however, just yells that she's not going to let them just run off on missions as they please.

Siebel still sees no problem and calls in even more forces. Masaki and Lune are starting to get concerned, but this is just the way Katina likes it; if the other two want to run away with their tails between their legs, they can. Lune isn't planning to let Siebel get away, though, so it looks like the battle's going to continue.

Then Russell arrives, having launched to back Katina up; Katina's immediate response is to yell at him for taking off against orders. :what: He doesn't care, saying that it's his duty to support his superior. Meanwhile, Masaki has made contact with the Hagane, which should be in the area within another minute.

With this being Ryusei's route, neither Katina or Russell is well-equipped or upgraded. I keep the two of them together so that Russell can hopefully keep some of the hurt off of her, but they're going to be keeping their distance and picking off weakened targets.

With Focus cast, Lune fares better. And I love how drat chipper the Valsione looks when it's dicing people up. :3:

Meanwhile, the enemies are clumped up enough that Masaki can switch to Cybird mode and get right in the middle of them, meaning that he can reliably dodge everything without having to worry about enemies being out of range.

Also, Lune joins the Valor club.

On turn 4, the Hagane arrives. Kyosuke has some words for Katina, but she yells back that he's not one to talk about being reckless. Meanwhile, Siebel is ecstatic at the prizes that keep coming his way, and is looking forward to finally silencing the ATX team's impudent voices once and for all.

Leona: "Major Siebel Mistel..."
Siebel: "Ngh!? It's you..."
Leona: "Today, I'll measure the worth of the life you've lived until now."
Siebel: "S-silence! You have no right to lecture me after surrendering to the Federation, woman!"
Leona: "I've made up my mind. A man unable to see beyond his own petty desires deserves no better!"

We now have Aya in the R-3. I honestly forgot that this unupgraded R-3 was even in the game, for one major reason: it has no post-movement attacks with a range of greater than 1. Aya really needs Hit & Away, or that rifle that we're passing around the squad, but right now she has neither and she's mostly just here for decoration. Sorry, Aya.

Oddly, now that Latooni has a new facial sprite (and cutin), her music resets back to Brass Devotion. I guess there are separate pilot profiles for different appearances, or something? Don't worry, I'll get it switched back to Beat and Beat soon enough.

Before the cavalry gets into position, we thin out the troops with a Cyflash.

You asked for Ryoto, so I guess we should show off the Armorlion.

It, uh... it has a Ginsu knife on its head.

Anybody ever see Gamera vs. Guiron?

No? Good, because it was terrible.

Thankfully, the Armorlion makes a much better showing of itself than the monster from that movie.

Our guys start tearing into the enemy lines without incident.

Lune isn't done yet and shows off the Valsione's answer to Cyflash, Psycho Blaster.

Lune, you might want to look into getting a new top. That one's shrinking a bit.

I actually have nobody deployed who knows Bless, unfortunately. This was around six or seven kills' worth of cash.

On the next enemy phase...

Siebel: "Mngh...? Those forces...!"
Ship captain: "Drop operation successful, Lt. Colonel Junkers."
Lily: "I will hold them here. Major Sanger, Major Siebel, make your way to the Earth Cradle."
Siebel: (That woman...! Is she trying to steal my glory!?)

Sanger: "No, I will cut these people off myself. Lily, you must go on ahead."
Lily: "You're facing them alone? You'll be killed!"
Sanger: "I won't die before my destiny is fulfilled."
Siebel: "...These enemies are my prey. I will not withdraw."
Lily: "...Very well. May fortune smile on you both."

Siebel: "Sanger... you will not claim the credit for this victory."
Sanger: "As you wish."
Siebel: "Hmph. What are you even saying..."
Sanger: "I have no interest in the credit. However... you will have to guard your own life."
Siebel: "And you as well."

This would be the Ryusei route's introduction to Sanger, so you have Ryusei marveling over the oversized sword and the similarity to the Grungust.

Bullet: "Major Zonvolt! There's no reason for us to keep fighting!"
Sanger: "Brooklyn... as a warrior, you should know. Once you step onto the battlefield, you have but to defeat the enemy before you."
Bullet: "But we have a common enemy! The Aerogaters are at our doorstep!"
Sanger: "Words are meaningless! If you trust in your path, then show me your conviction!"

Bullet: "!!"
Excellen: "Just give it up, Bullet. You know perfectly well there's no helping him once he gets like this."
Bullet: "But...!"
Kyosuke: "Enough, Bullet. I'll settle things with the Major myself."
Sanger: "Good. Then come, Kyosuke Nanbu!"
Kyosuke: "Let's go, Sanger...!"

DRAMATIC POSING

We can see the mastery requirement now: take Sanger out, though he flees at 50% now. Kyosuke is earmarked as an IMPORTANT PILOT, so it's a game-over if he's taken out.

We have a nice oasis background and everything. I'm really impressed with this level.

Once you're through the Lune-and-Masaki-versus-the-world segment at the beginning, this mission actually becomes simple. Somebody needs to dispose of Sanger properly, but other than that you just sweep up the remaining grunts and converge on Siebel. At this point I'm just trying to get Kyosuke some kills and get Ingram leveled up.

Siebel's Rhino has quite a long range, and starts going after Excellen.

Excellen: "Hey there, colonial leftovers!"
Siebel: "Despite being such a fool, somehow you still live. But no longer!"
Excellen: "Oh, it's a bad idea to judge people. Want to find out why?"

Masaki trades a couple Akashic Busters with Sanger and gets him to just above the cutoff.

So that Aya isn't completely shut out because of her mech, she and Ingram twin up. This has the added bonus that she can cast Gain and get more experience.

Kyosuke twins up with Ryusei to spread around some experience, then he and Excellen move in on Sanger do educate him on the power of love.

Sanger: "If there is an enemy before me, I will always fight."
Kyosuke: "Anyone can, with the right reasons."
Sanger: "But the Federation - or rather, the EOT Council - have no intention of doing so."
Kyosuke: "Do you think the DCs are better?"
Sanger: "Enough. There is still more to learn... and you have nothing more to say! Be silent, and fight!"
Kyosuke: "....."

Kyosuke. :gizz:

Ryusei. :flaccid:

Sanger: "drat... you've triumphed over the Type-0, Kyosuke!"
Kyosuke: "I said I was going to settle this, Sanger!"
Sanger: "And you still keep fighting... very well. It's as I expected."
Kyosuke: "You chose this situation for yourself...!"
Sanger: "With soldiers like you in the Federation... no, that's enough."
Kyosuke: "If you want to be defeated so badly, then let me lower the curtain, Sanger!"
Sanger: "But not here! I will wait for you at the proper stage... in Geneva!"

:toot:

"Hmph... so he was all talk after all. But I will claim the victory! Annihilate them!"

At this point there's nothing left but to steamroll over the remaining Barrelions and finish Siebel. Leona and Kusuha take point in the Raubtier and Type-2.

Ryoto's having fun with his new toy and shows off the Armorlion's Sonic Boost Kick.

The Armorlion doesn't have the raw destructive power of, say, the Grungust or Rampage Ghost, but if it can do this poo poo for round after round I have no complaints.

And then there's just Siebel himself.

Siebel: "Had you remained under me, you wouldn't have to die here..."
Leona: "I could say the same to you."
Siebel: "What was that...?"
Leona: "Your fate was sealed when you turned on Maier's army!"

Unfortunately Leona's the only one who really gets to talk. I may have used Rampage Ghost to shorten the fight a bit.

Ingram and Aya move up to claim the kill.

"DEAD END SHOOT(O)!"

Siebel: "Im... impossible! I didn't survive the war to die in the place like this! I was going to overthrow Sanger and Adler... and rise to the top of the Divine Crusaders! Those weak-willed fools... they're supposed to be the ones who die! Uuuaaaaggghhh!!!"

:byewhore:

Ingram hits level 29. Just a few more to go.

There are a few other team members who get dialogue vs. Siebel...

quote:

Rai: "You've chosen the wrong path, Siebel Mistel..."
Siebel: "I won't be lectured by a traitor to the colonies!"
Rai: "I turned my back on the Branstein house long before this war even began. The better to put a stop to you all!"

quote:

Masaki: "We're not gonna be stopped by a punk like you!"
Siebel: "I was destined to be more than a mere battlefield commander. If I destroy Bian Zoldark's killers, my rise through the Divine Crusaders will be guaranteed!"
Masaki: "You're doing all this for a promotion? Don't make me laugh!"

quote:

Siebel: "While you live, you endanger the stability of the Divine Crusaders!"
Lune: "Like I care what a backbiting jackal like you thinks! And the DCs' time is coming too!"

quote:

Katina: "Looks like this is my lucky day! I take your head and prove myself!"
Siebel: "Don't be a fool!"

Kyosuke version:

Cybuster and the Valsione aren't quite as heavily upgraded here. Despite my remembering to cast a pre-emptive Focus at the beginning, Lune still takes a hit almost immediately.

With Katina and Russell in the R-GUN and Armorlion, they're able to contribute quite a bit more.

Since we don't need to farm experience for Ingram, I have a bit more freedom to cut loose here. Lune gets fed up with everything and tosses off a Valored Psycho Blaster.

And it pretty much erases the enemy force. That is the biggest :signings: we've seen yet - almost double the previous leader.

The downside of this is that nobody gets morale when you kill enemies with a MAP attack (normally everybody gets 1 morale when an enemy dies), and Kyosuke and Excellen have to fart around dodging attacks for a bit before they have enough morale to use Rampage Ghost.

Both Bullet and Excellen engage Sanger this time.

Excellen: "Hey, Boss. Have you been eating right?"
Sanger: "...You never change."
Excellen: "And why would I? It's why you picked me, right?"
Sanger: "You're more perceptive than Kyosuke. I was right to assign you two together. But enough talk... come!"
Excellen: "Oh, you don't have to tell me to do that, Boss."

Bullet: "Major, stop this! Don't side with the DCs! This is when humanity needs to fight together!"
Sanger: "Naive, Brooklyn!!"
Bullet: "!"
Sanger: "Gather a weak force, and you still will not defeat the aliens - least of all if you cannot defeat me first!"
Bullet: "Who is the real enemy, Major! The aliens? Or us!?"
Sanger: "It is you!"
Bullet: "Ugh... if that's how it's going to be, then I'll fight! I know I'm doing the right thing!"
Sanger: "Well said, Brooklyn Luckfield... then come!"

If Bullet is the one to finish Sanger off, you get a different set of dialogue after he's defeated:

Sanger: "You've bested the Type-0, Brooklyn. Well done."
Bullet: "Sir, I've chosen my path. I don't want to kill you! Please, join us and fight the aliens!"
Sanger: "I still have a mission to fulfill."
Bullet: "Mission?"
Sanger: "Brooklyn! I'll be waiting for you at the proper stage for our next meeting: Geneva!"
Bullet: "Sir!"

Leona had dialogue vs. Sanger, too.

quote:

Leona: "I've made my decision, Major Sanger. I don't regret it...!"
Sanger: "You are a Garstein, yes?"
Leona: "I am."
Sanger: "Good. Then come!"
Leona: "Major! Does Elzam... no... does Major Elzam hold the same beliefs!?"
Sanger: "No more questions! If you've made your decision, then strike down all in your path!"

The crew returns to the ship. Without a word, Russell goes up to Katina... and hits her, straight up.

Excellen asks if they shouldn't try to break them up, but Kyosuke figures that he wouldn't go that far if he didn't have something planned...

Katina: "Russell...!"
Russell: "I'm sorry I hit you. But after today, I have to say this! Please, you have to stop rushing off on your own like this! You're not the only one fighting, Lieutenant!"
Katina: "....."
Russell: "This is not the time to worry about whether they'll make you a test pilot! If we're going to beat the DCs and the aliens, we have to fight together!"
Katina: "....."
Russell: "...You know I've always got your back, Lieutenant. But if you're going to keep doing this, then I'm going to have to keep hitting you, as many times as it takes!"
Katina: "......"

Katina: "...I got it, Russell. I'm... I'm sorry."
Russell: "Lieutenant..."

Excellen and Kyosuke look on approvingly; the two seem to work well together, and sometimes somebody has to put even their superiors in their place.

Excellen: "Say, Kyosuke... if it was me, would you scold me?"
Kyosuke: "Too much trouble. I'd just have Radha tie you in knots."
Excellen: "Aww..."

Bullet comes in, grousing about how Sanger's still their enemy, even after all that's happened. Excellen says that he should've known better than to expect different by now - but even then, the boss just gave them a reason to believe in them. Bullet doesn't catch on right away, leading Kyosuke to point out that Sanger told them where to go next; they now know with certainty that the DCs' main forces are heading for Geneva.

Masaki is surprised that that old guy is as shrewd as that, and needs to be corrected by Excellen that Sanger is still in his twenties and that Japan doesn't know how age works. :japan: Bullet asks Kyosuke if he really believes this was what Sanger planned; Kyosuke doesn't know for certain, but he's willing to bet on it until they learn the truth.

In the Earth Cradle, Adler reacts to the news of Siebel's death with mild interest. Luckily, he was a minor subordinate and no great loss. Lily is stony-faced during this, though Tenzan finds it hilarious. Meanwhile, the pieces are falling into place for the Geneva assault; Princess Shine has been acquired, and their special weapon is now complete. Control of the Earth is nearly within their grasp...

Tenzan speaks up, telling Adler to turn control of Unit 1 or Unit 3 over to him. He's already given Unit 2 to Tempest, after all, so why not give him one of the others, so that he can have some fun too? Adler thinks on this; it'll take some time before Shine is integrated into the GEIM system; even should something happen to Tenzan, it will provide him with valuable data - and like Tempest, will also rid him of a pawn that's outlived its usefulness. He agrees to give Tenzan Unit 3, to the gamer's delight.

As for Hans and Lily, they are both still new recruits and will have to prove themselves. They can begin showing their loyalty by intercepting the Hagane and the Hiryu...

I'm guessing the only thing that keeps Lily from just shooting him is the thought of having Hans, Tenzan, and Tempest as her direct subordinates.

In the Cradle's depths, Sophia Nate asks Dr. Feff about all these people who are here in the installation, trying to turn it into a military target. That will bring the wrath of the Federation and the aliens on their heads; surely this isn't wise, considering that the Cradle's purpose is to provide a haven in case of emergency? Egret responds that it can't be helped. With the Magus computer, the Machine Cells, and the Machinery Children all still under construction, they need the protection that Adler offers them.

Sophia: "But still..."
Egret: "Hmhmm... you need not worry. Should battle come to us, we will close the Gate of Magus."
Sophia: "You... you're not serious?"
Egret: "Hmph. The Earth Cradle is ours. Nobody else will control it... not the Federation, nor the Divine Crusaders, nor the EOT Council..."
Sophia: "....."

The Grungust Type-0 is repaired, thanks mainly to the Earth Cradle's facilities. The soldier overseeing the repairs asks who did all this damage, then goggles when Sanger says that it was his old subordinates. After the soldiers leave, he thinks that it's best that they go to Geneva, so that this place doesn't become a battlefield...

Sophia: "As I thought, you're planning to continue with this idiocy."
Sanger: "You're the administrator here?"
Sophia: "Sophia Nate, at your service."
Sanger: "You don't need to worry, Dr. Nate. The battle won't be fought at the Earth Cradle."
Sophia: "?"
Sanger: "I'm sure we've disrupted you, but that will be over soon enough."

Sophia: "Even though we face destruction at the hands of aliens, we still fight amongst ourselves. Why?"
Sanger: "..."
Sophia: "We wanted a means for mankind's survival, and built this hibernation facility. Adler Koch's proposal for world domination... it's madness."

Sanger: "Dr. Nate, you have a mission that must be accomplished."
Sophia: "A mission, you say?"
Sanger: "The sum of your beliefs. So that humanity might survive this conflict, you must succeed."
Sophia: "And if humanity's conflict is with itself?"
Sanger: "Perhaps... my own mission was to understand as much. But if the Earth Cradle were to become a battlefield, I have no doubt that you would put your life in harm's way to defend it. My own obligation is no less."
Sophia: "....."

Then we get this thing, the Shishioh Blade. It's the first secret in the game; at this point you need a certain number of kills on your main character (55 for Ryusei, 75 for Kyosuke).

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 1, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Does Russell get more lines in this mission than in the entirety of the game up to this point? Because it certainly seems like it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Did uh... Did Katina take a particular strong hit to the brain since the routes joined, or what? She seemed much less self destructively kill crazy before the routes joined.

While I haven't seen that particular Gamera movie, there was a Summon in the old Wildarms games that was basically a knockoff (Along with the Space godzilla knockoff, and the Gamera Knockoff...) I guess the unrelated thing I'm trying to say is Wild Arms's summons can be pretty awesome.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The shishioh blade.
Oh how ridiculous you are.

That thing is amazing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah going from Ryusei Route to meeting Katina and her constant charging off really leads to "Oh loving hell not again!"

Also, one thing I really don't like about the OG transfer is that only Kyosuke's guys get all these neat CG cutscenes, I'm fairly certain that the main key moment of Ryusei's route is left completely up to the in-game engine. Meanwhile Kyosuke staring down Sanger gets a special CG.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Machinery Children. Anyone who's played this or Alpha Gaiden will shudder in the same way we do at Barrelions on hearing that phrase.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hunter Noventa posted:

Machinery Children. Anyone who's played this or Alpha Gaiden will shudder in the same way we do at Barrelions on hearing that phrase.

Machine Cells in general. :negative:

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I just realized that Katina is basically Wolverine written by someone with only a surface-level understanding of Wolverine.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Onmi posted:

Yeah going from Ryusei Route to meeting Katina and her constant charging off really leads to "Oh loving hell not again!"

Also, one thing I really don't like about the OG transfer is that only Kyosuke's guys get all these neat CG cutscenes, I'm fairly certain that the main key moment of Ryusei's route is left completely up to the in-game engine. Meanwhile Kyosuke staring down Sanger gets a special CG.

I can only assume that moment got un-CGed because it was already in three or four games before this and for OG they're saving up for the next version. (they'd better be saving up for the next version...)

Anyway, it's time for Lily and Sanger to forget all their ideals and chill with the child-stealers for awhile. Good times, good times. Also, regular R-3 is super cute and I love it. I want a little stuffed one. Teaming up Aya and whoever's in the R-Gun on a regular basis actually isn't a bad idea - they're both TK mechs, so twinning them means the pilots get an extra TK level, and you can only twin attack ALLs with other ALLs. The T-Link Laser Cannon and the Metal Destroyer both work well together like that. Only problem is that T-Link Laser Cannon isn't super powerful in the endgame and with the OG weapon upgrade structure you only really want to upgrade one weapon per mech, and for the R-3 that's Strike Shields. (at least until you have New Game+ money coming out of your ears) Oh well...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gamera Vs Guiron is hilarious and I will hear nothing against it.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Mors Rattus posted:

Gamera Vs Guiron is hilarious and I will hear nothing against it.

The Armorlion really does need the ability to launch shuriken from its head.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunter Noventa posted:

Though I do believe that something rather large is changed about them here. Still we will get to that when we get to that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Oh boy, the GEIM system. :geno:

I've never played a mainline SRW in my life and I have no doubts in my mind that it's a placeholder for Gundam Wing's ZERO System. (Spoiler-tagged to be safe)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Oh boy, the GEIM system. :geno:

I've never played a mainline SRW in my life and I have no doubts in my mind that it's a placeholder for Gundam Wing's ZERO System. (Spoiler-tagged to be safe)
The GEIM System, to me, is an amalgamation of various crazy robot systems, with your spoilered one being the base inspiration for it. It has a few other...attributes that make it different.

That said, it is going to be annoying. We'll see in a few stages. And then OG2 will decide to merge Machinery Children Bullshit with the GEIM System for added shits and giggles. :shepicide:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Armorlion's a Good Mech and a lot of your pilots are pretty good in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Armorlion is hilarious. That loving Boost Kick is so silly, I love it. It's also really useful and definitely an unit that stuck to the endgame on my team in every OGs-1 playthrough I've done.

Also giving Latooni an actually serious appearance instead of having her wear the goth-loli outfit for the rest of the game is a good change. It was impossible to take her seriously, and considering she has some of the most hard-hitting moments of the cast, that was a serious problem. Giving her normal glasses is also a lot better than her silly big glasses from before.

Also also I had no idea about the Bullet dialogue. I don't think I've ever beaten Sanger with anything other than Rampage Ghost. That thing is the best boss killer in the game, leaving the Grungust second.

• Locked thread