Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

SorataYuy posted:

I think the real issue that these characters being argued over isn't the characters themselves. It's that they have all been slammed together from several differing games and plotlines, thus we get this huge jumbled mess (frankly, I've always been a bit in awe that it's anywhere near as coherent as it is to begin with), and as a sad, sad result, quite a few characters get short-changed in the writing department. Want to blame someone? Blame the writers. Blame copyright laws that left us with just these eviscerated, gutted stories and plotlines. But don't blame the characters. That's like blaming Spiderman for fuckin' One More Day, instead of Joe "I hate Redheads and happy marriages!" Quesadilla.

I mean that's literally what Super Robot Wars is - the main premise of OGs is 'what if the originals from our other games were their own shows, and we made a game about them'. Everyone here is from games where things are slammed together with the exception of, as said, Latooni and like, Katina and Russel, so there's no reason aside from handling crossover that they should be written here or there.

That said there are indeed weird decisions, like Bullet and Kusuha basically switching roles, and more prominently (next game spoilers) basically the entirety of Axel Almer, they fixed him for OGs but even then wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Someone's going to have to do a comparison for spoiler pre-update for anyone who didn't actually play OG2 or A and need to know how badly he was mangled in OG2.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

Someone's going to have to do a comparison for spoiler pre-update for anyone who didn't actually play OG2 or A and need to know how badly he was mangled in OG2.
That would require suffering through Advance, and I'd rather get run over by a runaway freight train before doing that.

To say nothing about suffering through A Portable. :suicide:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

MarsDragon posted:

While I get they wanted to keep Z its own thing, I'm still a little sad we're not getting these crazy crossover references anymore. They were fun.

Given what we've seen of Banpresto in recent years, there's most likely three games remaining in the OG line, possibly another if they stick in another Gaiden: 2OG2, then two 3OG games. Given what they have and have not covered, and the nature of SRWZ, there's two core possibilities for how they'll proceed.

1) An intermediate game where the Z-verse and OG-verse interact briefly before the Z verse self contains again, before culminating in the Alpha 3 finale.
2) Alpha 3's finale happens in OG3-1, seemingly ending the series... only for the universe to crash and lead into the Z-verse crossover.

Not that these are iron clad possibilities or anything, but I'd put money on either of those outcomes, while being skeptical of other theories on how these things wind up.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I... actually liked said spoilers better in OG2 as compared to the remake where it felt like he just turned into Not-Kyosuke, buuuut again, a long, long time coming.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

legoman727 posted:

I... actually liked said spoilers better in OG2 as compared to the remake where it felt like he just turned into Not-Kyosuke, buuuut again, a long, long time coming.

I think it really depends on if you knew A or played A before this happened. If you did, then what happened pissed you off, if you didn't then he was just a villain.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

That would require suffering through Advance, and I'd rather get run over by a runaway freight train before doing that.

To say nothing about suffering through A Portable. :suicide:

I could go over those, because for some reason I really like A and A Portable and I've beaten them twice each. That's basically the same game four times. :smithicide:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

CmdrKing posted:

Given what we've seen of Banpresto in recent years, there's most likely three games remaining in the OG line, possibly another if they stick in another Gaiden: 2OG2, then two 3OG games. Given what they have and have not covered, and the nature of SRWZ, there's two core possibilities for how they'll proceed.

1) An intermediate game where the Z-verse and OG-verse interact briefly before the Z verse self contains again, before culminating in the Alpha 3 finale.
2) Alpha 3's finale happens in OG3-1, seemingly ending the series... only for the universe to crash and lead into the Z-verse crossover.

Not that these are iron clad possibilities or anything, but I'd put money on either of those outcomes, while being skeptical of other theories on how these things wind up.

I don't see another intermediate game happening. 2ndOG basically ended with a nice big "NEXT: ALPHA 3 AND J" flashing neon sign, so they're probably going right there. I'm torn about predicting them ending with Alpha 3 vs continuing into Z: I can honestly see either happening and don't really want to place bets. That said, I just realised there is a way to have Alpha 3 move fairly smoothly into Z, since there's no way they're not going to have the SRX Team get That Thing to full power. Alpha 3 ended with them talking about what it could do with more time and OG's been teasing it since OGG, so story-wise it's probably going to be stronger than what we saw. Or they could just end current OG with Alpha 3 and wait another decade or so to revive it with Z and whatever they do next. Or something completely unexpected! Who knows.

The one thing I'm really hoping from OG3 is that they put W in despite how they've been handling the handhelds up until now. It just goes so well with Alpha 3. But all this speculation should probably go in the regular SRW thread.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

MarsDragon posted:

I don't see another intermediate game happening. 2ndOG basically ended with a nice big "NEXT: ALPHA 3 AND J" flashing neon sign, so they're probably going right there. I'm torn about predicting them ending with Alpha 3 vs continuing into Z: I can honestly see either happening and don't really want to place bets. That said, I just realised there is a way to have Alpha 3 move fairly smoothly into Z, since there's no way they're not going to have the SRX Team get That Thing to full power. Alpha 3 ended with them talking about what it could do with more time and OG's been teasing it since OGG, so story-wise it's probably going to be stronger than what we saw. Or they could just end current OG with Alpha 3 and wait another decade or so to revive it with Z and whatever they do next. Or something completely unexpected! Who knows.

The one thing I'm really hoping from OG3 is that they put W in despite how they've been handling the handhelds up until now. It just goes so well with Alpha 3. But all this speculation should probably go in the regular SRW thread.

What I really want to see is the L plot, with them basically wrapping up that storyline that starts in OG2 and gets developed some more in OGs.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

I could go over those, because for some reason I really like A and A Portable and I've beaten them twice each. That's basically the same game four times. :smithicide:
You are a crazier person than I am, that's for sure.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A Portable is, in fact, a Good Game that is liked by non-babies.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I just wish they'd remake SRW64. Or do another game in a similar vein.

Choosing to join OZ and help them overthrow the Federation was pretty cool.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 28, 2015

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
OG is already Z-like enough as it is setting-wise, adapting Z into OG would be kinda redundant.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wounded Land posted:

OG is already Z-like enough as it is setting-wise, adapting Z into OG would be kinda redundant.

Just add the Z originals in the next OG game without changing anythign else. Any discrepancies can be exlpained away by Aim lying.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
In other news, the new Swap Magic disc arrived and booted up on the first try, so the LP might get to live a while longer. Yay.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Seyser Koze posted:

In other news, the new Swap Magic disc arrived and booted up on the first try, so the LP might get to live a while longer. Yay.

In case of true emergency, I could lend you my Japanese PS2 and copy of OGs. Lemme know if it ever comes to that, since I've moved past the point of my own LP where I'll need the PS2 again.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There's a reason I use emulators. :v:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Dr Pepper posted:

There's a reason I use emulators. :v:

I just wish the OG games would come out on PSN already.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Wounded Land posted:

More than that, Z is already about crazy infinite parallel universe shenanigans. When you have that setup, making OG-verse versions of the characters, rather than just having the Z-verse characters show up (or vice versa) is staggeringly missing the point.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Some elements semm to point that the next storyline to be added to OG could be the W one.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The Database from W could be late-game enemies. Their big problem was that they could never hit anything, but with all those status effects on their powerful attacks, if they were in a modern SRW game with dodge decay, they could turn out to be extremely tough.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Montegoraon posted:

The Database from W could be late-game enemies. Their big problem was that they could never hit anything, but with all those status effects on their powerful attacks, if they were in a modern SRW game with dodge decay, they could turn out to be extremely tough.

Who cares about the enemies, they should add W entirely so that Valcazard can break the OG games in half like it broke W. God that thing was broken, and I loved it for it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Who cares about the enemies, they should add W entirely so that Valcazard can break the OG games in half like it broke W. God that thing was broken, and I loved it for it.
You knew that beautiful bastard was broken when it made loving GaoGaiGar look second-tier.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 27

First things first, there's this spiff-tastic sword we got as a secret at the end of last mission. I immediately drop some cash upgrading it and put in on Kyosuke, since he needs a quick way to rack up kills and Revolver Stake only has six shots.

Then some pilot upgrades. People joining from the other route have suffered a little bit from not having skills like Attacker and Revenge, so I take care of that now. I also make sure to buy Hit & Away for Aya, so the R-3 will actually see some action this mission. Promise.

Under Adler's patient, loving guidance, Shine has learned to let her hair down and oh god i'm not finishing that sentence :gonk:

Soldier: "GEIM synchronization has fallen 3.5 percent."
Adler: "No matter. Increase the link strength!"
Soldier: "But if we do that..."
Adler: "What will it be, Princess? Will you obey? Or will your chamberlain die?"
Shine: "Uh... ughh..."
Adler: "So stubborn. You're just as bad as Latun 11. Heh heh... but we have ways to break you of that. Administer the inducing agents!"
Soldier: "But we haven't tested their side effects yet!"
Adler: "Hmph. There'll be time for that later. Tempest has departed on his mission. We'll gather the test data from him, and use it to make adjustments to the princess. Gently, of course. Heh heh heh..."

Shine: "I... I've seen... your future..."
Adler: "Hmph, cheeky little girl... trying to read my future. Now, administer the inducing agents!"
Shine: (Sir... Raidiese... Latooni... my friends... I... I can't...)

Tenzan barges in and wants to know what the hell's going on - not because he's concerned about Shine, but because Adler should be focusing on something more important, like getting his new mech ready for action. He's starting to think the old man was just yanking his chain and wasting everybody's time. Why else would he have sent Tempest to stop the Hagane and Hiryu, when if he really wanted to get the job done he'd send Tenzan in Unit 3?

Adler thinks about this for a moment. Even with Tempest's data, the GEIM System's adjustments are going to take too long... with that in mind, he agrees. Unfortunately, Unit 3 won't be ready for action just yet - but Tenzan will have his chance when they move on Geneva.

Adler: (Heh heh... now, shall we see if Tempest returns safely...?)

The Hagane receives a distress call from the base at Sevastopol; they're under attack by DC forces. It happens that the base lies directly on the ship's current course. The enemy should know this, which means there must be another objective beyond merely destroying the base. Nonetheless, they can hardly just ignore the call, and so Daitetsu orders a general alert.

Mission 27: GEIM System

Tempest has been waiting for the Federation to get here. Waiting, in his... wait a minute, is that a blue Valsion?

Furious, Lune jumps into her mech and launches ahead of schedule. Masaki quickly launches after her (with the cats somewhere between impressed and exasperated by his eagerness to follow). Lune yells at Tempest that she doesn't care about his revenge; she's not going to let her father's design be used for something like this! Tempest isn't interested in her complaints; thanks to the mass-produced Valsion, his life's mission is finally within reach.

Giado: "Man, you were an Aggressor! The elite's elite! How do you go from that to being some kind of tragic villain!?"
Tempest: "Villain? Perhaps... but when they destroyed a colony to recover the Giganscudo, my course was set!"

Mentioning the Gigan gets Tasuku's attention, and this time Leona is around to fill him in. When the colonial independence movement was on the rise, the Federation responded by constructing the Giganscudo - a heavy-weapons platform of unprecedented size for its time. However, the mech was seized by terrorists; in fear that it would be used against them, the Federation responded by opening fire on the colony where the terrorists were based. The outer wall of Hope Colony was destroyed, and most of its inhabitants perished. To this day the Hope Incident, like the Elpis Incident of two years past, is a day of infamy to the people of the colonies.

Tasuku: "Th... then... what Major Sanger said to me about the Gigan... that was..."
Tasuku, it's been literally months. Wikipedia is a thing. If you actually cared, you'd have no business not knowing by now. :colbert:
Tempest: "Yes. And my wife and daughter were taken from me by the Federation's cowardice!"
Tasuku: "Look, I don't know what all you've been through, but there's a time for revenge, and this isn't it! Earth has bigger fish to fry right now!"
Tempest: "Quiet! I've waited sixteen years for the chance to make the Federation pay... you're not going to interfere!"
Latooni: (So much sorrow in your past... you haven't been able to escape it.)

And this scene is probably for the benefit of Kyosuke players who'd only run into Tempest a couple of times by this point.

It's been mentioned already in the thread that the timeline doesn't really work here, and that Tempest became an Aggressor to help the Federation develop killing machines after the same Federation killed his family. It would probably have worked better if the Hope Incident had been covered up and Tempest only discovered the truth much later.

I do like the manga image of him that was posted earlier in the thread, though. Gives him much more of a Ryouma Nagare "nothing left to lose" look, which seems more appropriate for the character.

Anyway, Tasuku gets mad and Kyosuke has to yell at him to focus up. Our units launch, and Ingram warns that the enemy's numbers aren't enough to assault the base, which means we can expect more troops in reserve.

Objectives; simply wipe out the enemies. The battle mastery is to knock the Valsion Custom below 60% health within three turns.

That could actually cause some trouble, considering that Tempest is approximately three turns' distance away from us in the first place. Here's the map for the mission. On the bright side, we're fighting over a base so there's plenty of nice regenerative terrain around. On the less bright side, there's a river running through the middle of the base; the enemies can fly, many of us can't, and we're set up so that we'll be engaging them right there in the water.

On the enemies front, we're dealing with a bunch of basic Guarlions, and...

...The Valsion Custom. This sounds ominous and all, but it's basically a scaled-down version of Bian's original unit, with 30k health instead of 45k and without the Mega Graviton Wave attack that the good doctor was so proud of. That said, Cross Smasher is plenty for Tempest, and with E-Save he can keep dishing them out for a good long while.

Off we go. After one turn, this is where we are.

Tempest doesn't budge an inch on his turn. As a reminder, we'll have two turns after this to knock off 12000 HP and get the mastery.

On Turn 2 we start engaging the enemy for real. I still need to a) level Ingram to 32, b) get 55 kills on Kyosuke, and c) level up the Hagane a bunch.

At the same time I'm trying to spread around the kills and level some other people up. This is how Garnet does in the Lion, and I have to say I'm liking it; I haven't bought any upgrades for it since Ryoto first joined, and it's still performing this well overall.

Kyosuke whiffs on his first attempt at an attack and gets clobbered in return. Jesus, Kyosuke.

Latooni and Rio have the shotgun game well in hand at this point, so I let them whittle down the Guarlions. Everybody else sort of takes potshots and tries to pick off easy targets when possible.

Aya finally gets to attack something this turn, so I show off the R-3's Strike Shield.

TASTE THE POWER OF MY PSYCHIC MINIONS

Strike Shield has good range and Aya handles herself pretty well, so this is a welcome addition to the arsenal. Yet again, this really looks like it ought to have a dynamic finish and doesn't, so the attack looks the same whether she kills her target or not.

Unfortunately, Guarlions have a pretty good chunk of health, so most of them are still alive at the end of turn 2. We pick off a couple the enemy phase, but in the end they're still there, forming a nice little wall between most of our guys and Tempest.

As for Tempest himself, he was happy to shoot at us from out of range. :argh:

Well, no time to mess around any longer. On Turn 3 I just have Masaki (one of the only people in range) Valor up and hit him with an Akashic Buster.

Not quite enough damage, but Kusuha is able to follow up with a Spiral Attack and push him over.

:toot:

Tempest has a couple special responses at this point.

To the Giganscudo (regardless of its pilot):

quote:

Tempest: "Because of the Giganscudo, Layla and Anna died! You will all follow them! Along with this cursed shield!"

And for Latooni:

quote:

Latooni: "This will never bring back the people you've lost..."
Tempest: "I'm aware. But all I have left, is to send as many of you to hell as possible!"

Tempest decides that he's spent enough time warming up; it's time to show the improvements Adler made to the Valsion, and crush the Federation!

Tempest: "Ugh!? Wh... what? This system...!"

Oh, look who's here.

Hans: "It appears you're having some trouble with the Valsion, Tempest."
Tempest: "Ugh... uuhhh... uohh..."
Hans: (...? It still sounds like he's alive...)

Daitetsu asks why Hans betrayed the Federation, and unexpectedly, he comes out and tells us. He believes the Federation has no chance of defeating the aliens. They were able to defeat the DCs and colonies, it's true, but no force will be able to prevail against the Aerogaters' superior technology. But now that the DCs have taken the Earth Cradle, with its defenses and its hibernation facility, joining them may allow him to survive into the future. In short, he turned coat in order to save his own neck.

Daitetsu is disappointed to hear this, having hoped for something better after all the chaos the Divine Crusaders have caused. Hans says not to worry; as a final service to his former allies, he'll kill them all here, so that they won't have to see the devastation to come. Kyosuke plans to extend a similar service to Hans. Hans responds that Kyosuke should be grateful he didn't just blow up the Raubtier when he had the chance. But now Hans is going to regret the day he underestimated the Alt's pilot...

Saying that he's waited a long time for this, Hans orders Tempest to commence the attack. Tempest, however, isn't looking so good.

Tempest: "Heh... heheheh... revenge... revenge on the Federation... revenge..."

Never mind, he's back to normal. False alarm, folks.

Hans: "What's the matter, Tempest!?"
Tempest: "Crush them... crush the Federation... Leila and Anna's killers... crush them to dust..."

The team gawks at this. Radha believes that the Valsion's man-machine interface has gone haywire; rather than allowing the pilot more direct control of the mech, the mech's influence is now affecting the pilot. The malfunction may be due to the damage the Valsion had sustained... or perhaps this was the plan from the beginning?

Latooni: "His spirit has collapsed, but his body is still hanging on. At the... the School, I saw other pilots in the same state. It's... it's too late for him now."
Hans: (Adler, you doddering old fool... Your system is defective! Now it's cost us Tempest... but...!)

Ingram orders all units to move out and break the enemy lines. Hans, likewise, orders his men to continue their assault despite this latest mishap. Kyosuke doesn't think much of his chances, but Hans has all of our battle data and is quite confident.

Rai: "Lieutenant Colonel, answer me this... where is Princess Shine?"
Hans: "The Princess? Oh, that little girl. Adler should have his hands on her by now. I would not want to be her, heh heh..."
Rai: "You son of a---"
Excellen: "OK, simmer down, Prince Charming. You're not riding off to rescue her from the evil stepfather."

Rai rounds on her for joking about this, but she says there's a time for anger, and she'll be right there with him when that time comes. Aya and Ryusei respond likewise; at least now we have confirmation that Shine is alive, so she can still be rescued. After a moment, Rai relents and apologizes, but Excellen airily says that that's what partners are for.

Anyway, with the battle mastery out of the way there's nothing left but to clear the field.

I have to hand it to Hans... this is a pretty good ambush. We have two pretty sizable forces on either side, with our troops stuck right in the middle. If I'd been trying to conserve my resources, I would probably have had to rush a few more people up to push Tempest down below the cutoff, and then the guys in the middle would be not only surrounded but separated from the people who'd gone forward. Having one or two strong units pop a Valor and bring Tempest below the mastery threshold quickly is the way to go here.

So. On the right flank we have some Barrelions, jets, and a pair of Storks; on the left flank, we have the same (with Hans in one of the Storks) and a few Landlions positioned to annoy whoever's trying to fight Tempest.

Oh, and Tempest got a full heal and maxed morale once the GEIM System activated.

Despite that, the newcomers are the more significant threat by a wide margin, so we're going to pull back and focus on them for the moment instead of rushing more people forward to go after Tempest. Staying in the middle will result in Barrelions from both sides picking us apart, so we're going to polish off the Guarlions in the middle, then split our forces and take on both sides at once.

The Shishioh blade is pretty awesome, by the way, especially considering that it has no morale requirement at all.

On the right side we're sending Irm, Ryoto, Rio, Latooni, Giado, and Rai; on the left we have Ryusei, Aya, Kyosuke, Excellen, Garnet, Lune, and Ingram. The Hagane sort of hangs out in the middle and provides fire support for either side as necessary.

If you expected jets to be cannon fodder at this point, guess again; they're pretty difficult to hit for most of your forces, requiring you to spend precious SP taking them down. Take advantage of situations where you can double-attack multiple units in order to get the most bang for your buck.

Garnet just laughs at pretty much everything while using the Lion. I think she doubled her kill count on this mission. In fact, once Ingram is done hogging the Boosted Joyrifle I just might pass it over to her.

Turn 4 rolls around. Kusuha and Masaki (who are still right up in Tempest's face) get the hell out of Dodge while they can. Tempest will chase after us as soon as we're out of range, so we want to wrap up the other enemies as quickly as possible.

This is a bit easier said than done. Ever since Act 2 started (once Bian and Maier were out of the picture), we've been fighting DC elites instead of the common grunts soldiers, which means engaging just about anything is potentially dangerous. Their dodge rates are good enough to be annoying, and their hit rates are good enough to ping you on a somewhat regular basis.

In particular, MAP weapons now become useful not for raking in the cash, but for letting you whittle down a lot of enemies' health without needing to worry about counterattacks.

Ingram learns his final spirit during this time: Fury. This allows your next attack to bypass any special defenses the enemy might have - barriers, immunities, support attacks, et cetera.

Bizarrely, the Storks have some of the most accurate attacks on this map. You'd expect that it would be the other way around, considering that your own battleship captains are your least accurate units, but nooooooo.

Excellen doesn't have any specific dialogue versus Hans, but...

"You're pretty ticked off, aren't you, Kyosuke... at Lt. Colonel Hans, the traitor..."

An advantage of just about everybody knowing Valor at this point is that these fights with carriers and capital ships go a lot quicker.

More people start going to work on Hans' Stork.

Hans: "Even if you destroy the DCs, you'll never defeat the aliens, Lune Zoldark..."
Lune: "You're using my dad's legacy to save your own neck? I'm not letting somebody like you tell me my future!"

Ingram: "Audacious as you were, you were still too timid."
Hans: "What...?"
Ingram: "If you wanted to defeat us, you should have launched a full-scale attack back at the Far East Base."
Hans: "Hmph. You've put quite a lot of thought into this yourself, haven't you?"
Ingram: "Heh..."

All good things have to come to an end eventually, though, so it's time to give Hans his final sendoff.

Kyosuke: "Traitors always get their due!"
Hans: "Do you even begin to grasp your situation, you fool? You're outgunned!"
Kyosuke: "Do I look like I care? You'd better have made your peace!"

"I try not to carry personal grudges into battle... but I'm making an exception for you, Hans!"

So yeah. Kyosuke just did enough damage to Hans to one-shot him even if he'd still been at full health.

Kyosuke: "It's over!"
Hans: "This can't be happening! You..."
Kyosuke: "I said I would do this one day."
Hans: "You...! Ever since that time, you've been..."
Kyosuke: "Hoping for a joker card was what brought you down in the end..."
Hans: "Y-you fool! Only the Earth Cradle can save humanity now! It doesn't matter how much you fight. Your fate is the same as mine!"

Hans: "You have no hope of beating the aliens! You will all die! Don't forget that... Guaaaghh!!"

:byewhore:

A couple of other people had dialogue with Hans as well...

quote:

Masaki: "All right, let's finish this! No running away from here!"
Hans: "I already know what lies in store. You'll have the same fate as Bian."
Masaki: "Ha! Well, at least I'm not gonna die a coward!"

quote:

Irm: "I've always wanted to take a swing at you. This is going to be satisfying."
Hans: "And I've always wanted to rid myself of your insubordination."
Irm: "Really. Well, if you're as concerned as you say about saving your hide, you'd better start running... if you can!"

quote:

Hans: "The child from the School. I should bring you back to Adler for readjustment."
Latooni: "I've escaped my past... to rescue Princess Shine, I have to defeat you!"

Also, if Kyosuke isn't using the Alteisen when he shoots Hans down, the dialogue is different - instead of talking about how he's been biding his time for this moment and how Hans did himself in by leaving, Hans basically rages about how he can't die in a place like this and Kyosuke says he'll be going to hell first.

Anyway, with Hans out of the way, there's just Tempest to deal with. The GEIM System activating gave him a pretty significant boost (and changed his battle dialogue a bit).

He's no slouch in combat, being able to dodge decently against most of your attacks. If you're maneuverable enough to reliably dodge a Cross Smasher, he'll use a status weapon instead for higher accuracy, and with 150 morale, those are going to hurt no matter what.

At this point you'll no doubt be running low on SP, but with as many people as you have on your team, you should be able to find somebody who can dish out some hurt.

He also lacks ALL attacks, so you can twin people up, use supports, etc. without needing to worry about a less-skilled partner getting KO'd.

Of course, he's still capable of causing some pain.

Eventually I finagle Ingram into position to twin up with Aya and dish out the final blow.

Tempest: "Vengeance... my vengeance... for vengeance... I swore vengeance..."
Latooni: "You've been enslaved by your memories of the dead. They led you astray..."

Latooni: "It's time for you to go to your family... your fight ended sixteen years ago."
Tempest: "!!"

That puts Ingram at the cutoff for the secret he's working on, so that's one less thing to worry about.

There's no time to celebrate, as Eita picks up another DC force inbound. Going around isn't an option, so Daitetsu orders full speed directly into them.

Kyosuke Version:

Kyosuke's route went a bit rougher, mostly due to RNG working out all the aggression it built up during Ryusei's route. On Ryusei's version I had a lot of people hitting with 70% attacks and dodging 20-30%s from the enemy, and here it was pretty much the opposite.

Also, upgrades are desperately needed. Without them, the Grungust folds up in about four or five shots.

With Katina taking over the R-GUN, I shift Leona into the Wildschwein, where she performs her shotgun duty admirably throughout the mission.

And there was really only one person I could give the Shishioh Blade to.

"Just call me Excellen Browning... the sword that smites evil!"

"There's nothing that I can't cut!"

By some miracle I got through this mission without losing anybody, but there were a few people whose health bars looked like Excellen's does throughout the battle.

In the Earth Cradle, Adler receives the word that Tempest has died, having been unable to withstand the use of the GEIM system. This is within his parameters, and he orders the test data incorporated into the new adjustments for Tenzan and Shine. He confirms Hans' death as well; evidently the man was no use except as a spy, but at least he bought them a little time.

Lily: "Is this how you speak of your fallen comrades?"
Adler: "Is there a problem? Lily Junkers..."
Lily: "They fought to make your wishes a reality. And in response, you..."
Adler: "They've laid the foundation for my new order. Isn't that honor enough?"
Lily: "....."

Adler: "As will you, Lily. Your own forces will participate in the next operation."
Lily: "Very well...!"

Seriously Lily, just shoot him. I doubt Egret will stop you.

Egret interprets this to mean that they main assault on the Federation is at hand. The Hagane and Hiryu Kai are delayed near the Black Sea; if the DCs move on Geneva now, they can seize control before the ships arrive.

Egret: "Well, well... I look forward to seeing your results."
Adler: "Heh heh... Egret. You and Dr. Nate need only wait here in the Earth Cradle. Once I am the world's new ruler, I shall return. Heeheehee..."
Lily: "....."
Egret: (Hmm... we will see which road the future takes.)

The Divine Crusaders scramble to finish the adjustments to Units 1 and 3, but they're clearly understaffed and underequipped for the job. Thomas watches the spectacle in disgust; the DCs' entire operation rests upon four trump cards. Or rather three, now that Unit 2 has been destroyed. As he watches, Sanger tells the men not to worry about the Type-0; he'll make do, so they can focus their attention on the other two units. Thomas can't fathom what he's thinking; why participate in what is obviously a losing battle?

Lily: "Major Sanger."
Sanger: "Lt. Colonel Lily... I hear you will be participating in the next operation as well."
Lily: "...That's correct."
Sanger: "Leave the front line to me. I would not want the life Commander Maier saved to be wasted."
Lily: "I cannot... I have a request of you, Major."
Sanger: "....."

Thomas: (They're going all-in... looks like this is the end. Good luck, DCs. I'm going to cash in while I'm ahead.)

And I'm pretty sure this is the last we see of Thomas for a long, long time.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 1, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

See Thomas? Thomas is the smart boss, the one who realized "We're gonna die" and instead said "gently caress this, I'm out."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Well, no time to mess around any longer. On Turn 3 I just have Masaki (one of the only people in range) Valor up and hit him with an Akashic Buster.

Please tell me you didn't actually go with this and casted Alert before attacking. I don't think I could ever have Masaki and his paper-thin Cybuster attack anything with a 78% chance of hitting them.

quote:

Daitetsu is disappointed to hear this, having hoped for something better after all the chaos the Divine Crusaders have caused.

Pfft, this is hilarious. Daitetsu's not angry because Hans betrayed them, he's just disappointed that he had such a lovely, dishonourable, selfish reasoning to do it. It just shows exactly how bad of a person Hans is.

quote:

The Shishioh blade is pretty awesome, by the way, especially considering that it has no morale requirement at all.

It has unique animations for different robots (mostly the Schutzwald), unique calls (Ingram's DEAD END SLASH! comes to mind), high damage and, as you said, no morale requirement. It's also called the LION KING BLADE. I'm pretty sure it's powered by courage. It's as badass as it gets, is what I'm trying to say.

quote:

Tempest: "Vengeance... my vengeance... for vengeance... I swore vengeance..."

Hey, it's Tempest's entire character in one line!

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I'm not sure I get why Tempest suddenly turned into a hypnotic zombie-like state. But it also seems like we're systematically killing off all the major badguys, so we'll be finally seeing the Aerogaters soon.

It's been such a long time since I played the GBA version. I really forgot what happens after Adler's hostile takeover of the DC.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Digital Jello posted:

I'm not sure I get why Tempest suddenly turned into a hypnotic zombie-like state. But it also seems like we're systematically killing off all the major badguys, so we'll be finally seeing the Aerogaters soon.

Suddenly? I'm pretty sure Tempest was always like that.

Definitely one of the disadvantages of OG1 being so... simple, shall we say. We've only been fighting one set of badguys, so by process of elimination we know who we're going to kill from stage to stage after a point. Lacks that sense of "holy crap what new spore of madness can the game throw at me now?!"

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Blaze Dragon posted:

Please tell me you didn't actually go with this and casted Alert before attacking. I don't think I could ever have Masaki and his paper-thin Cybuster attack anything with a 78% chance of hitting them.

Pretty sure I did go back and cast Alert. You'll notice in the following screenshots that Tempest went back to Cross Smasher rather than waste a chaff grenade on somebody he wouldn't be able to hit anyway.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
RIP Hans, you were the most cathartic kill in the game and the only way it could have been better is if he split into an army of Hans all pulling the same horrified expression as Kyosuke staked his way through all of them at once (or one after another). Oh and bye Tempest I guess though Latooni was right about him.

Onmi posted:

See Thomas? Thomas is the smart boss, the one who realized "We're gonna die" and instead said "gently caress this, I'm out."

My father always says to me "Always bet on the horse named Self Interest, because you know it's trying the hardest."

But only if there's not one named "Trombe" in the race as well I assume.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Seyser Koze, put the Shishioh Blade on the R-Gun and upgrade it. Just...just trust me here.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Digital Jello posted:

I'm not sure I get why Tempest suddenly turned into a hypnotic zombie-like state.

GEIM system is pretty much the OG version of the Psycho Gundam stuff, it's all mentally linked and stuff but in a cheapo fast-burning extremely dangerous way so when things go wrong their brains go haywire. It's a pretty standard anime brainwashing thing.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Gyra_Solune posted:

GEIM system is pretty much the OG version of the Psycho Gundam stuff, it's all mentally linked and stuff but in a cheapo fast-burning extremely dangerous way so when things go wrong their brains go haywire. It's a pretty standard anime brainwashing thing.

Ah, okay. I'm not big on anime, but I know what you're referring to. I was kinda hazy on what the GEIM actually was, but as soon as you mentioned Psycho Gundam, I got the picture. Neato.

This might've worked better if Tempest's character was expanded on more, because actually, I didn't really care if the team killed him or not.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Digital Jello posted:

Ah, okay. I'm not big on anime, but I know what you're referring to. I was kinda hazy on what the GEIM actually was, but as soon as you mentioned Psycho Gundam, I got the picture. Neato.

This might've worked better if Tempest's character was expanded on more, because actually, I didn't really care if the team killed him or not.

I don't think you're supposed to care about Tempest.

You're supposed to worry about Shine, because they're planning to shove her into one of these things.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
If someone is interested, here is Hans dieing in the manga:

Oh and Seibel too I guess.

Ashram fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 1, 2015

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That last scene is why, even though I forgot about generic dickbags like Siebel after my first playthrough, Thomas stuck to memory. The guy is genre-savvy enough to know this is going to end badly for the DC and bails, denying you the satisfaction of doing him in.

I kept waiting for him to show up again during all of OG2 and OGG but he wasn't dumb enough to join any of the bad guy factions. I wanted Ryoto to have his revenge. :argh:

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Man, Crimea never gets a break, does it?

I'd forgotten how much I like "Psychic Energy," but Aya's pilot suit... :facepalm: (And I still can't stand the radio intro they put on "Silver Lucifer")

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

GimmickMan posted:

That last scene is why, even though I forgot about generic dickbags like Siebel after my first playthrough, Thomas stuck to memory. The guy is genre-savvy enough to know this is going to end badly for the DC and bails, denying you the satisfaction of doing him in.

I kept waiting for him to show up again during all of OG2 and OGG but he wasn't dumb enough to join any of the bad guy factions. I wanted Ryoto to have his revenge. :argh:

Because he never appeared again, the first time I played OG1 I thought there was some route difference I hadn't triggered and he'd been killed off-screen. :saddowns:

Ran into a couple more technical difficulties, but with any luck they should be resolved in a couple days and I can stick to my schedule.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Wounded Land posted:

Man, Crimea never gets a break, does it?

I'd forgotten how much I like "Psychic Energy," but Aya's pilot suit... :facepalm: (And I still can't stand the radio intro they put on "Silver Lucifer")

Psychic Energy actually wasn't originally Aya's theme! Way back in Shin SRW it was actually used as a map theme. But it does fit her pretty good!

Speaking of Shin, here, have the version of Raideen the Brave that ultimately was not used in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GldA26Es_vg Gee, I wonder why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gyra_Solune posted:

Speaking of Shin, here, have the version of Raideen the Brave that ultimately was not used in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GldA26Es_vg Gee, I wonder why.
My first thought was "hey, that's pretty good for an early Game Boy Advance song". Then I remembered that Shin was on the PS1.

• Locked thread