Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Seyser Koze posted:

Because he never appeared again, the first time I played OG1 I thought there was some route difference I hadn't triggered and he'd been killed off-screen. :saddowns:

Ran into a couple more technical difficulties, but with any luck they should be resolved in a couple days and I can stick to my schedule.

Oh, wait, you don't know? I was holding it back because I thought you were gonna bring it up later, but the reason Thomas disappears is that he's been sucked to La Gias to hang out in the Lord of Elemental games. He's just as great there, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Son Ryo posted:

Oh, wait, you don't know? I was holding it back because I thought you were gonna bring it up later, but the reason Thomas disappears is that he's been sucked to La Gias to hang out in the Lord of Elemental games. He's just as great there, too.

I know that now, at the time I didn't. That was what, 9 years ago?

I feel old.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Is it ever explained why Thomas randomly has a Federation uniform during this scene? Like, I can assume that it could possibly be part of his "escape from the DC" plan, but it's just there and never really touched on.

Anyhew, I do agree with you Seyser on the whole Tempest timeline hijinks. It would make his arc a lot more understandable if he initially heard his family was killed by the terrorists, but then later learned that all deaths in the Hope Incident were all by the Federation. But as it is, Tempest really is an example of how to utterly fail at making a sympathetic villain character.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GimmickMan posted:

That last scene is why, even though I forgot about generic dickbags like Siebel after my first playthrough, Thomas stuck to memory. The guy is genre-savvy enough to know this is going to end badly for the DC and bails, denying you the satisfaction of doing him in.

I kept waiting for him to show up again during all of OG2 and OGG but he wasn't dumb enough to join any of the bad guy factions. I wanted Ryoto to have his revenge. :argh:

He did not seem a bad enough guy to need revenge from Ryoto. He pointed out that it was all Alder's orders that Ryoto was going to be sacrificed, and he encourged Ryoto's defection in a way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Son Ryo posted:

I just learned he shows up in Dark Prison as well in the OG Timeline.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
It sounds like they just took the Raideen track from Complete Box and replaced the lead instrument with comedy noises.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AradoBalanga posted:

Is it ever explained why Thomas randomly has a Federation uniform during this scene? Like, I can assume that it could possibly be part of his "escape from the DC" plan, but it's just there and never really touched on.

I suppose he might have been a Fed originally. I think that's the first (and only) time he appeared in anything other than his flight suit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I suspect Thomas has probably done less harm to the federation than some of our other recent additions, but then I doubt anybody on the player roster likes Thomas enough to eject their cockpit after disabling them :v:

I probably would have been more down on Thomas if he hadn't been so comically honest with Ryoto. I guess I got a soft spot for villains that try to act all Professional Merc Mans without being too smug about it (I'm looking at you, Timp :argh:)

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Seyser Koze posted:

I suppose he might have been a Fed originally. I think that's the first (and only) time he appeared in anything other than his flight suit.

I'm guessing that he's about to try and pull a Hans by defecting to some part of the Federation (presumably the surrender monkey part) as he almost certainly has information on the Cradle and the DC tech...he just never gets the chance, apparently.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Technical issues resolved, proceeding on schedule.

It's so nice when it doesn't take the game upwards of a minute to change music.

EDIT: I don't think the DCs actually have a uniform, per se. Hans sticks to his Fed uniform, Lily keeps wearing her uniform from the colonies. Even people who were in the DCs from the beginning like Elzam and Tempest keep wearing their original ones.

I'm probably putting too much thought into my giant robot LP.

DOUBLE EDIT: Also I just said "yay somebody posted" and clicked my thread to read my own update. I need to stop drinking on weeknights. :eng99:

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 3, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We love your LP, Seyser. :3:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, Hans. It's not so much what you said as the way you said it. "I have to ensure the safety of the Earth Cradle" is at least a little legit.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Seyser Koze posted:

Technical issues resolved, proceeding on schedule.

It's so nice when it doesn't take the game upwards of a minute to change music.

EDIT: I don't think the DCs actually have a uniform, per se. Hans sticks to his Fed uniform, Lily keeps wearing her uniform from the colonies. Even people who were in the DCs from the beginning like Elzam and Tempest keep wearing their original ones.

I'm probably putting too much thought into my giant robot LP.

DOUBLE EDIT: Also I just said "yay somebody posted" and clicked my thread to read my own update. I need to stop drinking on weeknights. :eng99:

Well, the UCC is the actual official military of a (formerly) independent nation and the DC is a ragtag bunch of terrorists and war criminals under a megalomaniac scientist who just happened to be bros with the commander of an actual military. Bian's probably happy if they're not naked.

Then again, it's not like the EFA is all that strict about uniforms. Half the cast just wear whatever they feel like.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Well, the UCC is the actual official military of a (formerly) independent nation and the DC is a ragtag bunch of terrorists and war criminals under a megalomaniac scientist who just happened to be bros with the commander of an actual military. Bian's probably happy if they're not naked.

Then again, it's not like the EFA is all that strict about uniforms. Half the cast just wear whatever they feel like.

Really? Pretty much all of the Bridge Bunnies wear the same uniform. Giado, Garnet, Kai, Russel and Latooni are all in uniform, Daitetsu und Tetsuya wear the same just a officer type.

Aya, Rai, Ryusei and (I think) Ingram have a SRX version. Even Kyosuke and Excellen share a flightsuit design.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Daitetsu and Tetsuya's uniforms are nothing like anyone else's. Laker has the fancy EFA standard uniform, and it's just the regular one our folks are wearing with an extra vest. Daitetsu and Tetsuya have some weird vaguely Navy thing because Daitetsu is OG Captain Avatar/Okita, complete with not-Yamato. Then Lefina's is different again, being a take-off of Yurika from Nadesico, but it's at least still white. I guess battleship crew just have a different uniform from pilots and command, which I guess makes sense except I don't think our NPC battleship captains have that uniform.

The standard EFA uniform has a pink girl's version, but wearing it seems to be optional given that Kusuha and Leona get it but not Garnet and Latooni just switched recently. Sometimes special projects have special uniforms like the SRX Team, sometimes they don't like the ATX Team. (and the SRX flight suits are all similar...except Ingram's) Sanger just wore his big red coat even when he was in the EFA, Kyosuke and Excellen have somewhat similar clothes, and Bullet has the standard uniform like most of the Alpha Originals. Katina, Irm, and Gilliam just wear their flight suits everywhere (which are not standard and don't seem to come with helmets. Gilliam's even has fingerless gloves). They do pick up regular uniforms in 2ndOG. (spoilers?) Speaking of flight suits, I wonder how they knew to give Ryoto and Leona the special Alpha Originals flight suit when they joined. The only people with the standard flight suit are the OG Originals, everyone else has some sort of custom.

It's probably worst in OG2/OGG, where you pick up more people that just kind of wear whatever they want even if they're apparently part of the EFA, which is probably why they started giving a lot more people the standard uniform in 2ndOG. For right now between the OG and Alpha Originals a decent chunk of the cast are still wearing at least a uniform, yeah. It's flight suits that get extra weird, and maybe those aren't part of the standards.

It's all kind of unavoidable with the structure of the game anyway. Lots of main characters, lots of varied distinctive designs.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The flight suits are pretty much universally terrible, lots of bright colors that change randomly across the suit, pointless shoulder pads, bizarre helmets, and all the ladies have their boobs accentuated because of course they do. :japan:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Alacron posted:

The flight suits are pretty much universally terrible, lots of bright colors that change randomly across the suit, pointless shoulder pads, bizarre helmets, and all the ladies have their boobs accentuated because of course they do. :japan:

Well something has to bounce in battle animations, and most of the time the character's hair is hidden away in a helmet!

Also I'm pretty sure the EFA suit designs are all but stolen from Macross.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007

GilliamYaeger posted:

Well something has to bounce in battle animations, and most of the time the character's hair is hidden away in a helmet!

If only they'd adapt Macho Mechanized Mollusks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Every time I see Aya's cut-in, I burst out laughing. I can't help it!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Every time I see Aya's cut-in, I burst out laughing. I can't help it!

And it's not even the worst in the OG timeline. Not by a longshot.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 28

After a pitched battle, the Hagane drives off the enemy forces sent to stall them, only to receive an urgent distress call from Geneva. The DCs have landed and are advancing on the city.

After making their landing in the Gulf of Lyon, the main force has proceeded more-or-less effortlessly through the Federation lines, which were simply unequipped to fight the enemy's AMs (to say nothing of the Valsion). In short, the Federation puts up a pretty face but is weak underneath; Kyosuke observes that our own forces are more-or-less the opposite. After being delayed at the Black Sea, the Hagane and Hiryu are in no position to intercept, and can only try to get to Geneva as quickly as possible.

Excellen: "Aww, why are the enemies aways so hasty. At least get in the mood first, please?"
Kyosuke: "It's not just the enemies."
Rai: "Yes, it's all of us."
Ingram: "This isn't the time."
Excellen: "Aww, Tasuku, it's a tough crowd today..."
Tasuku: "Maybe we'd better just keep it down for now, yeah?"
Leona: "I wish you'd taken that to heart sooner."

In any case, we're definitely going to be facing another Valsion - and since the last one we fought was in the experimental phase, this one may very well be piloted by Princess Shine. Rai may have said what everybody was thinking, but Latooni doesn't seem happy to hear it out loud...

Excellen: "Hey now, handsome, you can't just decide things like that."
Rai: "....."
Excellen: "Love is a fragile thing. Don't you understand a woman's heart at all?"
Kyosuke: "That has nothing to do with love."
Leona: "Or with women."
Tasuku: (No, I think there is...)
Ingram: "I said this isn't the time, Excellen."
Excellen: "Aww, Tasuku... the crowd's getting angry..."
Tasuku: "You never learn, Lieutenant..."

Bullet is alone in the hangar, thinking. The next battle with the DCs will be the last, for certain... will Sanger be there? Kusuha comes over and immediately guesses what he's thinking.

Bullet: "There has to be a reason he keeps fighting us. I keep telling myself that maybe this battle, he'll show us what it is."
Kusuha: "....."
Bullet: "It's just... wishful thinking, isn't it?"
Kusuha: "No, not at all. I think it's important to believe in people you care about... Especially these days..."
Bullet: "Yeah..."

The alarm sounds, and Rio comes running to tell them that they've made contact with the enemy. The two of them run to their machines.

Our troops cut through the first wave effortlessly, but the overall situation looks bad; the defending forces are down to 60% strength, and with Geneva still twenty minutes away, we won't make it in time. Sean proposes a strike at the core of the enemy's power: specifically, prioritize the Valsion, leveling the field for the rest of the Federation soldiers.

Mission 28: Crusade's End

Albert scrambles for a waiting helicopter, cursing his luck; there was never supposed to be a direct attack on Geneva so soon! He yells for somebody to tell him where Chairman Schtleseman is, only to discover that Karl has already evacuated the area...

...and left him behind. Tenzan decides it's time for the ambassador to learn a lesson in politics.

:byewhore:

Also, there go all the Fed defensive emplacements all at once. Why can't our MAP weapons be that awesome? :sigh:

Tenzan: "Heh... heheheh... this Valsion kicks some serious rear end. That's what I call an ultimate robot! If Bian had this all along, he should've just gone to Geneva from the beginning!"
Lily: (It's hopeless. They'll never understand Bian or Maier's wishes. This... is what the supreme commander entrusted to me.)

Tenzan: "Man, old man Adler took his sweet time bringing out the good poo poo. And hey, that killjoy Sanger isn't here, either! Man, that guy pisses me off. In fact, once this battle's over... I think I'm gonna kill him next. Yeah, I can't wait... Hyahahaha!"

Soldier: "Ma'am, the Hagane and Hiryu Kai are inbound!"
Lily: "They're here... all units, move to intercept? Tenzan, what are you doing?"

Tenzan: "Kill 'em all. Every last one. Just killin' and killin'... hehehehe... yeah, that's right..."
Lily: "...! You didn't...!?"

Our ships arrive just as Tenzan activates the GEIM system. Amidst his cackling, the gamer yells that our PTs all look like little bugs now, and he's going to have fun squashing them all. He's a little more lucid than Tempest was, if you can call it that, and actually responds to Ryusei when Ryusei tries to get him to stop - but only to once again remind Ryusei that deep down, he loves killing enemy soldiers just as much as Tenzan and doesn't want to admit it.

Ingram tells Ryusei that it's no good - the GEIM System has overridden him, just as it did with Tempest, and there's no option left but to put Tenzan down. Ryusei balks at this, but Ingram reminds him that it's kill or be killed here, just as it's always been, and that sentiment will only ensure that it's the latter. Tenzan, meanwhile, is still laughing about how he's going to pop them all like bubble wrap (yes, that's a quote), and Ryusei eventually steels himself to do what he must.

So here's beautiful scenic Geneva, with the map flipped 180 degrees from the way we'll usually be looking at it just because. Despite being the Federation capital, Geneva counts as a city rather than a base, so we get some minor energy regen but no HP regen to speak of. Probably just as well, since we'll be engaging most of the enemies in the grassy/rocky area where they're currently situated.

On the enemies front we have two groups of enemies. This group on the left, closer to us, has Lions, Barrels, and a pair of Storks. The main group, a little further over, is Guarlions, Barrels, and our two bosses for the map.

In a Valsion Custom we have Tenzan, who wasted no time in popping the GEIM System to give him that special glassy-eyed look that all true gamers aspire to one day achieve. He's loaded for bear, with Prevail, Revenge, and a high-level Gunfight. And Fortune, which the game keeps putting on bosses for some reason even though the AI has no use for money.

In the Stork we have Lily. She's... well, she's obviously supposed to be filling Sean or Tetsuya's role for Maier, with support skills and SP Up. Only Maier's been dead for nearly ten missions and she's on her own. :(

So we go to it. We start to fan out a bit; some people go straight for the nearest enemies in the corner while others are going to head towards the city proper and then over to the big bosses.

The Barrelions do what they always do, which is to fire away from out of range and be annoying.

On the other hand, the Lions obligingly zip over so that we can turn them into scrap. At this point in the game Lions are basically just there for the easy morale boost, so take my word for it that they all died and everyone had a great time killing them.

As suggested, I put the Shishioh blade on the R-GUN. I imagine there's an amusing glitch that will result in the blade vanishing forever or something and filling me with despair.

Ingram seems pretty satisfied with it, all the same. "DEAD END SLASH!"

On the enemy phase of Turn 2 the Barrelions try going for Garnet. Joke's on them, she has the fungun for this mission.

Unfortunately its damage isn't quite as impressive as we're used to. I'll have to either buy her Revenge or a couple levels of Gunfight. Or both. :getin:

By the end of Turn 3 the Lions have been eliminated, though our forces are spread out a bit. But hey, I can't imagine that ever leading to trouble. (Spoiler: It doesn't, really.)

On the third turn the main column arrives, with Adler's Grey Stork following just behind them.

Tenzan: "Oho! If it ain't old man Adler! Just you wait, hyahahahaha!! Once I'm done owning these guys, you're next!"
Adler: "Mrgh... I see Tenzan is useless as well. Then behold this... my ultimate creation..."

The ultimate creation is a second Valsion; Latooni has a bad feeling. No time to think about it at the moment, though, because having Adler in front of her has set Lune off.

Lune: "Adler Koch! What the hell do you think you're doing with my dad's Valsion? If this is how the DCs are going to use it, I'll kick all your asses myself!"
Tenzan: "Sweet, sweet... Double Valsions!"
Lune: "Shut up! I'm gonna turn you both into scrap!"
Adler: "Pah! You understand nothing, stupid little girl... your father was a visionary, but he made certain... oversights."
Lune: "What are you talking about!?"

Adler: "Guarding the Earth sphere... pitiful. So pitiful. He thought he could bring his enemy's power under his own banner... and then he was defeated. If we truly wish for humanity to survive... we must purge the weak and the intractable, and leave only the worthy. That begins here!"

Comparing Adler to Gihren Zabi a few updates ago was more apt than I realized at the time. :godwinning:

Kyosuke asks if that was Sanger's plan as well. Adler doesn't see him anywhere, and figures that he chose to flee rather than fight. Kyosuke thinks different, but Adler's too caught up in his delusions of grandeur to care at this point; his dominance - or rather, his great purge - is at hand, and then both human and alien will have to bow to him! With that, he activates the new Valsion's GEIM System.

Spirit.

Alert. :ohdear:

Strike. :gonk:

"Valsion Custom... online."

Everybody reacts to hearing Shine's voice, and Adler cackles at his success. By combining the Princess' precognitive ability with the GEIM System, he's created a machine with the perfect union of offensive and defensive power!

Ingram thinks quickly. Shine has no combat training, which means that the Valsion itself is essentially an unmanned drone - but one that needs a human brain as a component. In other words, an inferior man-machine interface compared to the T-LINK System.

"Targets... acquired... commencing... attack..."

The group despairs of what to do, and they don't feel much better when Kyosuke orders an all-out attack. They have to play the hand they've been dealt, bad as it might be, and hope they draw a wild card. All they can do now is try to disable the Valsion and hope for the best.

Ingram offers some cold encouragement; the GEIM System may not have completely overwritten Shine's personality yet... but they have a few minutes at most.

We see our new mission objectives. Within six turns, we have to reduce Shine's Valsion Custom to below 10% health (without killing her, naturally); if we want the battle mastery, we'll have to pull it off in five instead. It's the enemy phase of turn 3 now, so we essentially have two turns to do this.

Tenzan takes a shot, but I'll give the opportunity to appreciate him properly a little later.

Lily takes her shot as well; Excellen is close enough to return fire.

"You are stronger than this..."

Excellen also trades shots with their grunt forces and starts to erode them a bit.

Then Adler's forces move. He's brought a bunch of Heavy Barrelions and another two Storks, in addition to his own Gray Stork.

Shine zipped right out to the middle of the city, so she's next to Irm and picks him as her first target. Because of that Alert that she cast, we have to burn an attack on her, and since she has Strike we also have to eat one of her attacks in return (unless I'd cast Alert myself beforehand). It's just as well that she's picking on the Grungust.

I... really expected Cross Smasher to do more damage than that. :psyduck:

A quick glance might reveal the reason: Shine is level 10. I think I found a flaw in your ultimate creation, Adler. The game's policy of giving AI pilots a killscore equal to their level gets a bit silly here. Makes you wonder which poor DC mooks had the honor of dying to Adler's weapon tests.

She actually has quite a few skills, but aside from Lucky and Foresight, most of them would see more actual use if she were player-controlled.

Anyway, let's not waste any time here, since Shine is distracting us from more lucrative targets who we have reason to want to kill. Luckily, her Valsion is not too hard to bring down to the target zone; in fact, it only takes us a few attacks.

(yes I saved in the middle of the fight just in case, you caught me)

"You've got to treat girls gently, you know..."

He said, as he cast Valor and used his strongest attack. That's not gentle, Irm. :mad:

Also, when the Valsion attacks, Shine begs it to stop. :gonk:

"The GEIM System... the man-machine interface is incomplete."

That's not gentle either, Ingram. :sigh:

"Princess Shine... I will save you, without fail...!"

That's too gentle. Shine still recognizes Latooni.

She doesn't seem to understand gentleness either, so I feel less bad about letting Irm and Ingram go after her.

"Princess Shine, we'll save you, I promise...!"

So Lune has to finish the job.

The Valsion shuts down; it looks like we may have succeeded. Adler seethes at this, then yells that he'll never let us steal his prize from him and prepares to open fire.

Lily: "This man has gone far enough... Main gun, target the Grey Stork! Fire!"
Adler: "Whaat!?"

Kyosuke: "What? Are they having a falling-out?"
Adler: "Y-you traitorous---!!"
Lily: "Quickly! Raidiese, Leona... rescue the Princess!"
Rai: "Colonel Lily...!"

Kyosuke: "All right, recovery completed."
Irm: "Phew... that Stork saved our bacon."
Leona: "Colonel Lily, you..."
Lily: "Don't worry... this is my duty from the supreme commander."
Rai: "From my father...!?"

Adler: "Duty!? Nnggh...!! So all along, this was your intention... there can be no forgiveness! Death to the traitor!!"
Lily: "!!"

Lily: "Ugh! All hands, abandon ship!"

Adler: "Heeheehee... stupid woman. You had no hope against me! You, Bian, and Maier can all regret your incompetence in hell!!"
Lily: "Thank you..."
Adler: "Hnn? Doesn't she realize that she's dying?"

Lily: "For bearing witness to my end... thank you. Sanger Zonvolt, I leave the rest to you..."
Adler: "Wha..!?"

Lily: (Commander Maier... I go to your side...)

:smith:

There's no time to mourn for Lily, as the Type-0 appears amidst its wreckage.

Irm curses that it's just one enemy after another; Kyosuke thinks that there's more at play here, but nonetheless has some words for Sanger over just standing by and watching while Lily was killed. Sanger says that there's no need for Kyosuke to tell him this; but sometimes, it's most important to to let a warrior meet their end with pride in their heart.

Adler, of course, still hasn't seen the writing on the wall and assumes that Sanger is just late to the battle, yelling at him to hurry up and finish the duty the traitor abandoned by sinking the Hagane and Hiryu Kai. Sanger says that he may be a traitor - but not to Adler. He has only ever had one mission: to forge a force that will stand firm against the aliens!

The ATX team figures it's about time that he came around. Kyosuke says he's not really the type for cunning tricks - not unlike themselves.

Sanger: "Now, Adler... you, who have forsaken your true objective in the name of self-interest... your judgement is at hand! I have borne the shame of a traitor, endured the sacrifice of fellow warriors, for this moment!"
Adler: "Hmph... in the end, you're no different from those dead fools, Bian and Maier..."

Sanger: "SILENCE!"
Adler: "!!"

"Hear me! I am Sanger Zonvolt! The sword that smites evil! Divine Crusaders, who have lost sight of your purpose... today you will be crushed beneath the Type-0's blade!"

Kyosuke: "Sanger... or, Captain..."
Sanger: "Hah... do not call me that, Kyosuke."
Kyosuke: "....."
Sanger: "My actions until now have not been erased. But now, we have one enemy to strike down!"
Kyosuke: "Understood..."

Oh, and :toot:

Now that the enemies are gone, our only remaining objective is to finish wiping out the enemies. Losing Sanger is a loss condition, though.

Speaking of which, twenty missions after he bailed on us, we finally get to control Sanger and the Grungust Type-0 again. He joins at full morale and ready to smite some evil.

Of course, we're not quite ready to back him up, so to save him from a full barrage of enemy fire I pull him back at first.

Tenzan is the next priority, although that small army of Heavy Barrelions will need to be taken out first. Still, they've helpfully moved close enough to the city that we can use it for cover. Aya makes pretty good use of the little park here, for example.

Further from the city, you really need to just have your most evasive units soften the Barrelions up while your more-likely-to-be-hit units finish them off. Heavy Barrels are strong enough that pretty much anybody will be hurting after just a couple of hits, so you don't want to let them connect with counterattacks even on units like your Grungusts.

Once we've thinned out the ranks enough, Tenzan himself can be taken out in just a couple hits, with Valor. (This is a chance to showcase Tenzan's GEIM mode. It's... something.)

Excellen is next to bat.

"And now, the moment you've been waiting for!"

"I'm gonna come on strong!" :heysexy:

:pseudo: Atlus version here. Excellen's line "Seme seme de ikuwayo?" or "Shall we attack?" puns two meanings of the word seme (攻め). One is "attack," while the other, as yaoi lovers everywhere know, is the dominant partner in a homosexual relationship.

No seriously, play the video. You have to hear this one.

And then Ryusei gets the finish.

Tenzan: "Heh... heheh... it's game-over for real this time...!"
Ryusei: "...! Tenzan!?"
Tenzan: "Better not forget, Ryusei... you and me are the same... we see the world the same way!"
Ryusei: "...!"

Tenzan: "That's right... War is the greatest loving game ever made!"
Tenzan: "Hyahaaa! Hyaaahaahahahaa!"

Ryusei: "We're not the same, Tenzan..."
Ryusei: "I have people like Rai and Aya. I have comrades..."

:eng101: This exchange only comes up if Ryusei is the one who finishes Tenzan off, and was added for the remake.

At this point it's mostly just a formality; a handful of mechs and a couple Storks remaining, and then Adler.

As a reminder, Adler has no pilot skills whatsoever. Siebel and Hans are apparently more effective commanders than this douchebag. :laugh:

The main thing that Adler is counting on is that you're worn out enough from wading through all of his goons, and that your heavies got chewed up enough fighting all the Barrelions, that he can hit somebody who's out of SP and get a lucky kill. If you've been watching over your guys carefully, that won't be a problem, and one Valored Darkness Blade or Rampage Ghost will knock off almost half of his health. I didn't even have the repair and supply units equipped this mission (since I keep switching people around in units) and I finished him off without trouble.

Ingram deals the final blow.

Sanger: "The Divine Crusaders will die with you!" This line only comes up if Sanger finishes him off. The rest is the same, though.
Adler: "Im... impossible! I'm meant for greater things than Bian and Maier...! I'm meant to rule the DCs... to rule the world! If I die here, humanity has no future! I must return to the Earth Cradle! There, not even the Aerogaters can harm me!"

Adler: "Evacuate! Evacuate!! Prepare my shuttle!"

Adler: "...!? What? Where did everyone go!? Are they leaving me behind!? Wait! Wait for meee!!! I'm the leader here!"

Adler: "Open the door! Take me with you!"
Adler: "Don't leave meeeee...!!!"

:byewhore:

If Sanger had dealt the deathblow, you'd get another line here.

quote:

Sanger: "It is done. Commander Maier... my duty is complete."

With the enemies wiped out, Lune finally relaxes; her father doesn't have to worry any longer. The core forces of the DCs have been destroyed. All that now remains is Sanger, and the Earth Cradle.

Sanger says that Dr. Nate, the Cradle's administrator, has no wish to fight and is concerned only with the future well-being of humanity. With Adler out of the picture, she will be no danger to anyone. Kyosuke is willing to take him at his word, but there's still the question of Sanger himself.

Now that the DCs are finally laid to rest, Bullet asks Sanger to return. With the help he's offered, even Katina is willing to pull for him; Sanger refuses, however, saying that he can't return to the Federation after the sins he's committed.

Sanger: "Farewell. Let us meet again, in this life or the next..."
Kyosuke: "Captain."
Sanger: "I have nothing more to teach you. Or... perhaps I never did. You must go the way you believe in - and overcome everything that would keep you from it."
Kyosuke: "...Understood."

Sanger leaves. Bullet wants to go after him, but Excellen and Kyosuke get him to calm down; as they fight the Aerogaters, they'll surely meet again - and this time, as allies.

Kyosuke version:

Not too much of note here, except that the RNG hated me and kept hitting me on 20% chances. I did finally upgrade the armor on the Grungusts, which made a huge difference. I also upgraded the Grungust 1's mobility, because :downs:.

I had Katina deal the "finishing" blow to Shine, and she almost overdid it.

"You just sit tight. We'll get you out of there!"

:sweatdrop:

If anybody but Ryusei deals the deathblow, he doesn't go back to normal. Instead:

Tenzan: "What!? I'm done for? Aw, crap. Guess I gotta use a continue! Then I get all my HP back! Hyahahahaha!!"

Tenzan: "Forget about Japan. If I level grind, I can conquer the world! Hyahahaha! Hyaaaahahahahaaa!"

:eng101:Afterwards, Ryusei has his same line about how he's not like Tenzan because he has Rai and Aya supporting him. This is different from the original, where at this point he'd be raging at Tenzan for wanting to die like this.

Neither Egret nor Sophia is surprised to learn of Adler's fate. Any remaining DC materiel and personnel in the Earth Cradle are to be turned over to the Federation - but the two scientists won't be the ones doing it. As originally planned, the Gate of Magus will be closing on schedule; they will both be entering hibernation, unlikely to see the world again until far in the future - if ever. Sophia asks Joyce to explain this to Daitetsu and Lefina when they arrive.

Joyce asks Sophia why she's chosen this road; surely with their technical expertise, they can be of help to humanity's survival now, in the present! She acknowledges the determination of those who fight, having seen it in Sanger when he was at the Cradle. However, somebody must prepare for the worst case. Hearing this, Joyce likewise has to acknowledge the sacrifice she's making, giving up the life she's known for an unspecified future.

Sophia: "The truth is... I hope all this proves to have been unnecessary."
Joyce: "Doctor Nate..."
Egret: "....."
Sophia: "Sir L'Dhal, please tell the others to trust in one another, and hope for a brighter future."
Joyce: "I shall..."

It's time for rejoicing aboard the Hagane; Princess Shine is awake, and shows no lasting harm from her ordeal. She thanks everyone for having saved her, and Garnet is impressed with how well she's borne up under the circumstances - if it was her, she'd be in tears right now!

That lasts until Rai enters, when Shine really does start crying; still, she knew all along that he or Latooni would come riding on a white horse to save her. Rai isn't quite prepared for all this, but under the circumstances he's willing to stay silent and let her let it out.

Joyce conveys Sophia's final message to the captains. Sean is concerned about the Cradle's weaponry, and the possibility that the GEIM System could be used again; ultimately, Daitetsu decides to have faith in Sophia's words.

The rest of the crew discusses the Earth Cradle; it's still necessary to keep contingencies like this in mind, considering everything that's happened. Bullet acknowledges that they still haven't seen a real fight with the Aerogaters yet and don't know what they're capable of. Katina expected a little more backbone from an ATX member; there's probably still time for Bullet to get a spot in the Cradle if he's scared. Tasuku thinks it'd be great if Katina was the one put on ice instead, prompting the standard Katina response (this time with Leona volunteering to help out with the violence).

Masaki isn't too happy with the last of the DCs getting away like this, but Lune considers the war over and done with. Irm can't imagine what it would be like to hibernate in the Cradle - hundreds, thousands of years spent in the freezer... even if he had some sleeping beauty next to him, he wouldn't be able to do anything! Kusuha feels sorry for the people going into hibernation, but Masaki and Lune both figure that they just have to protect the Earth and make it unnecessary.

Radha and Ryoto have been working their magic on a certain machine; there were modifications made to it specifically for Shine's usage, but those have been easy enough to remove. Ryoto doesn't feel right about this - but Lune said that if she's not going to use it herself, better that one of the team does it instead.

Ingram tells them to get to work on retrofitting the cockpit for general use. Aya walks into the hangar and is stunned by what she sees - why is a Valsion here? She decides to trust Ingram's judgement, but he thinks that even this may not be enough...

Because we pulled off the mastery on this last mission, we get... our very own Valsion Custom.

With the Divine Crusaders finally destroyed, Princess Shine should be safe from kidnapping attempts for the time being; it's time for her to go home. She's reluctant to part from everybody, but given that the future battles will be more dangerous if anything, she has to agree. Rai tells her that she has a mission of her own now: as the head of a country, she must protect her people in the days to come. She says her goodbyes to Rai and Latooni, though she throws Rai off his stride by calling him her prince on a white horse (Sean thinks a black horse would be more appropriate); she'll be praying for everyone's safety and victory in the future.

In the original, Shine throws a fit and refuses to leave the ship until Rai lectures her about her duty, at which point she immediately does an about-face and agrees.

And with that, Act II is done.

Now, about those aliens...

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 8, 2015

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Welcome back, boss...for one mission, before he decides to bugger off again. :sigh:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Almost forgot (again). Since we have our shiny new Valsion Custom, we need a vote on its pilot.

Pick one pilot to use on each route, but I think we have enough pilots with decent machines now that you can pick any pilot for either route, regardless of which they started on.

EDIT: One exception: Kyosuke, Excellen, and the SRX crew stays in their designated machines.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Welcome back, boss...for one mission, before he decides to bugger off again. :sigh:

Holy crap that is amazing.

As for the Valsion Custom...
Kyosuke: Katina
Ryusei: Tasuku

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I already can't remember who's piloting which machine on what route.

Ryusei's Route: Katina.
Kyosuke's Route: Leona.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ryusei: Garnet:getin:
Kyosuke: Latooni

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

This.

Katina is only allowed to have small punchy robots.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

There is no shame in saving in the middle of a stage, Seyser. Lord knows I've done that way too many times to count in my own playthroughs.

Votes:
Ryusei's route: Russel
Kyosuke's route: Leona

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

I'm not sure why, but the audio in the videos in this update seemed to lag about a third of a second. It's especially noticeable when you're navigating menus and the beeps and boops aren't in sync with the visuals.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

:eyepop:

This is great, did you find it or make it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

:eyepop:

This is great, did you find it or make it?

It's been around for a long time.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Kyosuke route: Katina
Ryusei route: Rio

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dr Pepper posted:

this as well

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

An update! Wow! Wow wow wow! Wow?

RIP Tenzan, you were a dick to the end. Also another thing I didn't know, that last Ryusei dialogue with him. Instead I remember the normal Tenzan death by heart simply because of how hilarious it is. He really is the player. Level grind to conquer the world indeed.

Also about the awesome Valsion Custom...

Ryusei: Garnet, for no real reason.
Kyosuke: Katina, who I usually give it to.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
I don't have an opinion on who gets the Valsion Custom, but holy poo poo, I had no idea that secret existed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Really?

It's probably the easiest secret in the game since it's tied to a very simple Battle Mastery.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Is it just me, or did Tenzan's GEIM-whoops sound like R2-D2 freaking out?

And I have this wonderful mental image of the Grey Stork's entire crew sneaking into escape pods while the XO locks the door to the bridge from the outside.

As for Valsion: Russel & Ryoto, because they're the least-fitting.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hah I put Russel in it on my first playthrough.

It was also my first SRW ever and I'm amazed I beat it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I believe in the GBA OG1 Ryusei asks a (now deceased) Tenzan if Burning PT wasn't enough for him. He's extremely pissed rather than... sad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I jumped the gun on Shishioh Blade on the R-Gun, but you'll want it on there after the thing happens. (Ryoto or Katina should keep it)

Lily, he's loving married and probably happily reunited with his wife, stop mooning over the dead guy and get on our side already :arghfist: She has an amazing support spirit set, Bless/Cheer/Strike/Trust/Alert/Love in OGS, so I'm still somewhat mad we never got her. I hate giving up anyone that knows Bless and Cheer. (and Hope, back in the GBA version)

Anyway, I like Rio for Ryusei route and...I dunno, I still like Russel for Armorlion, and Katina's not suited for the R-Gun, but she should still stay in it for a bit. Bullet, I guess.

• Locked thread