Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

argh why does this mission have so many battle quotes :eng99:

i mean i know why but still
Sometimes, everyone just has to open their mouths and blab about their feelings.

And in other times, they do this while shoving a giant robot fist or giant pile driver into some poor sap's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Onmi posted:

and this is how you can spot a Ryusei

SUPER ROBOTS ARE A MAN'S ROMANCE

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I miss Masaki bumming Ryusei out by nonchalantly pointing out the secret of the R-Series units was obvious.

I seriously really liked those two lines.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
All right, let's get this done.

Before the mission began I tuned up the Valsion a bit (and forgot to show that part, naturally). It has essentially one weapon of note, that being the Cross Smasher; it's long-range, powerful, and has no morale requirement. Of course, it's also a regular energy vacuum, so maxing out the mech's energy stores are the first priority, and I give it a Solar Panel to help out in the regen department.

Mission 30: Betrayed at Gunpoint

Our crew launches (with Bullet launching automatically in the Huckebein Mk. II); the goal is to take down the enemy drones before they can damage the city. Bullet quickly realizes that Kusuha hasn't launched yet; Irm explains that there was a problem with the Type-2, so she'll be launching alongside the SRX team. Immediately the teasing commences from Excellen and Tasuku, though Kyosuke gets them in line quickly enough.

Objectives. Kill everything, natch.

The mission was partly underway before I took a look at the map, but it's basically us up at the top and a handful of Megillot, Yirmeyah, and Mishlei drones at the bottom.

Not much to comment on here. The Megillots obligingly charged forward so that we can kill them in advance of the other units.

This is what Giado's pulling with the Boosted Rifle. At least his lack of Focus isn't a problem when he can just outrange every single enemy.

I keep working on leveling up my units. You can actually deploy a much larger range of machines on this mission than on most, so you'll have a number of people in their mid-20s who need experience.

Rio learns Drive, a fun spirit that gives a 30-point increase to morale in one cast.

The drones are eliminated before Turn 3 is out.

With the drones destroyed, another gravitational pulse is detected as a large flying object warps in above the city. It's an AGX-04 Flower - the same ship that we saw way back at Antarctica.

And something new: humanoid machines, a heretofore unseen unit from the Aerogaters. Ryoto immediately notes the similarity in size and design between these new robots and our own PTs and AMs. Irm confirms that humanity's mechs were designed specifically to counter those seen in the data pulled from Meteor 3. We've really just been hoping all along that it was accurate, though... Kyosuke wonders why they've suddenly brought out new machines, but ignores Excellen's suggestion that they've been bewitched by her grace and charm and have come to kidnap her.

The SRX team finally launches, along with Kusuha. Both the R-2 and R-3 appear to be working well, though they still need some finer adjustments. The Grungust Type-2 is in worse shape; for some reason, its movements aren't as responsive as Kusuha is used to. Ingram orders Kusuha to hang back and guard the carrier with him, while the others intercept the enemy.

Our victory objectives are unchanged, although letting any of the SRX team members (or Ingram or Kusuha) get KO'd is now a loss condition.

Now that we've rushed off to the south edge of the map, enemies have appeared at the north edge instead.

Let's have Ingram do a scan and gives us a look at these new enemies---

Oh. The R-GUN is a green NPC unit and I can't use Ingram's spirits. Or Kusuha's, for that matter. That's odd. No matter, Latooni can cast Scan just as easily.

We've received a couple of upgrades. The R-2 is now the R-2 Powered, with the addition of a bunch of armor and two bigass shoulder cannons. The Hi-ZOL Launchers have some good range, and they can be used as an ALL weapon to hit twin units instead.

Meanwhile, Aya has upgraded to the R-3 Powered, which now has a great big flight module to carry it around. It actually has pretty much the same armaments as the original version, with the addition of a MAP weapon. The SRX units can also now use Formation R, a new combination attack, though we don't get the chance to show it off this mission.

The Aerogaters have unveiled their first humanoid design. The Zaku Zechariah is their rank-and-file footsoldier unit, mostly notable for its high health and the large numbers in which it's typically deployed.

More powerful is the Huleh battleship, which weighs in at 50,000 HP and has a number of long-range attacks with high accuracy modifiers. Oh, and it has an E-Field to make chipping away its health even more fun.

Well, there's no way that I'm wading through all these guys conventionally, so the first thing I do is send in the Valsione and Cybuster to knock off 50-75% of their health with MAP weapons. They're a lot less daunting when they're all just one or two hits away from death.

Because of the city terrain, they also do you the favor of bunching up in the streets, which makes them easy pickings for shotguns and the like.

Cross Smasher. :kamina:

The R-3 may not have received much in the way of new weaponry, but it did get some nice new animations. Here's the laser cannon, which gets a bonus from her TK abilities.

This was with Valor cast, its damage actually isn't all that great.

This also levels her up enough to learn Renew, which refills the energy and ammo of a friendly unit.

Battle proceeds until we've blown away a good number of the enemy units.

Ingram decides it's time. He tells Ryusei, Rai, and Aya that he's removed the lock on the OOC maneuver; it's time for them to combine into SRX. The crew reacts with shock at the questionable timing, but he says the maneuver is meant to be performed in combat situations, so this is as good a time as any.

Rai: "It's too dangerous. If we make a mistake, everybody out here is going to pay the price!"
Ingram: "What's wrong? Have you lost your confidence?"
Rai: "!"
Ryusei: "...!"

Ingram: "Ryusei. Remember why you joined the military... why you've fought. It was for now. Perform the maneuver."
Ryusei: "All right, Major."
Rai: "...!"

Seeing Ryusei's determination, Rai and Aya reluctantly agree. Ingram orders the SRX team to the one o'clock position, warning the other pilots not to worry about covering them - don't let SRX distract you from the enemies you're already facing!

Aya: "Telekinetic field, on! Tronium engine, full drive! All units, initiate transformation!"
Ryusei: "Let's go! VARIABLE FORMATION!!!"

Ingram: (Now... show your potential.)

Aya: "Uhh... aaahhhh...!"

Ryusei: "Whoa!?"
Rai: "drat it... the TK Field is fluctuating!"

Ryusei: "Uaah!?"

Aya: "Kyaaah!!"

Rai: "Ugh...!!"

The rest of the crew immediately reacts to this; Kyosuke orders Masaki to break off and draw the enemies away from the SRX team. Rai yells that they have to fall back before they throw their friends even further into disarray.

Ryusei shakily agrees, but Aya isn't responding...

Ingram: "Hmph."

Ryusei: "!?"
Ingram: "Hmhmhmm..."
Ryusei: "M-Major Ingram!?"
Ingram: "I suppose this is all I could expect."

Aya: "Uh... uhhh.... Major... Ingram..."
Ingram: "This is the least I can do for you, Aya. You've suffered enough for me..."

"...So I'll make this quick."

:stare:

Ryusei: "Ayaaaaaaaa!!"
Rai: "Captain!!"
Radha: "M-Major Ingram!?"
Garnet: "He... he didn't..."
Kyosuke: "That was no accident... the R-GUN fired on the R-3!"
Masaki: "What the hell, Ingram!"

Ingram: "Hmph..."
Ryusei: "I-Ingram... what's going on? Aya... why would you...!?"
Ingram: "...She was defective. I disposed of her accordingly."
Ryusei: "Defective!? Major, what the..."

Kyosuke: "Now I see. Now it makes sense..."
Ryusei: "Kyosuke!?"
Kyosuke: "There was another way to respond to this war, and you've taken it. You've defected to the Aerogaters."

Ingram: "Wrong."
Kyosuke: "What?"

Ingram: "I am an Aerogater."
Ryusei: "Wh... what!?"
Ingram: "I've been a covert operative from the beginning."
Ryusei: "Th... that's it...? You've been lying to us all along!?"
Ingram: "That's right."
Ryusei: "Y-you're kidding... we've been fighting at your side for months!"

Ingram: "All of you are samples, gathered from among the Earthlings. That's how I've viewed you since the day we met."
Ryusei: "What... the hell...? We're just samples?"
Ingram: "Yes. You're not a comrade, or even a subordinate... you're simply Specimen #55."
Ryusei: "Wha..."

Ingram: "By all means, hate me, Ryusei. Let your power awaken. It's what I've been waiting to see..."
Ryusei: "You... you son of a bitch... Aya... Aya cared about you... did you even realize that, when you shot her!?"

Ingram: "I've already said. I have no such emotions for any of you."

Ingram is loving this poo poo.

Ingram: "Now... rise, before me."

Tasuku curses Ingram for his betrayal - Hans was bad enough, but this is another league entirely! Ryoto despairs of what to do, but to Kyosuke, the answer is always simple: when the enemy reveals himself, don't think - just fight.

So, that just happened. About two people in the thread didn't know in advance that this was going to happen, so :bravo: to readers for not giving it away early. The game isn't exactly subtle about it, and the remake didn't help matters (what with Ingram being shown on the White Star in the game's very first scene, just with his face "hidden.") At first it was a lot of FACE OF TRUSTWORTHINESS scenes, but then Banpresto ramped up the "hints" significantly over the last mission or so; you had Ingram's suspicious knowledge of the Aerogaters' tactics, and his ordering that the data about Aya's sister be classified. The single biggest giveaway is probably Viletta calling herself "Viletta Prisken" instead of "Viletta Vadim" at the end of the last mission. Although people have commented that it seems a lot more blatant than they remember, all of this was in the original except for that opening scene with Euzeth. The remake may actually hide it (slightly) better by making Ingram less blatantly manipulative of Aya.

Either way, Ingram's stabbed us in the back and possibly killed Aya in the process. And you thought big confrontations came at towards the end of a story arc...

With one pilot destroyed and another one turned evil, Rai suddenly doesn't matter anymore and we're down to two people we need to keep alive now - Ryusei and Kusuha. We also get to see our battle mastery condition at long last: destroying the R-GUN, which flees at half health.

That's a substantially higher number than it was a minute ago, as the R-GUN has received a boost up to 35000 HP. Now that he's suddenly turned evil, Ingram has the Revenge skill for extra pain while you're trying to attack him.

We're also now introduced to the Habakkuk artillery unit. It has high armor, 10000 health, a nine-space range with its main cannons... and a barrier.

I miss the Barrelions already. :suicide:

They also have a really ridiculous missile attack if you attack from inside of their minimum cannon range. Don't think too hard about how this is supposed to work mechanically.

Since we have enemies on both sides, we need to split up a bit; both groups have to fight a high-health target (the Huleh in one direction, Ingram in the other), so I send Kyosuke and Excellen towards the battleship and have Irm pull back to help deal with Ingram.

The Huleh opens fire on us from just out of range.

After-Image keeps Lune safe, though. As an encore she kills all the remaining Zechariahs from the first wave in the space of about five seconds.

Ingram starts out fairly close to Ryusei, so he'll go for him unless you rush him with someone else. Considering the level of upgrades that I've put on the R-1, Ingram's piloting stats are pretty good to be pulling those numbers. Most bosses usually have to resort to status weapons to get non-zero hitrates versus Ryusei, but Ingram's doing just fine with Metal Destroyer.

Ryusei: "You're not going anywhere, Ingram!!"
Ingram: "Yes... let your rage flow, Ryusei."
Ryusei: "Shut it! I'm not fighting for your drat entertainment!"
Ingram: "Then why do you think I chose you for the military?"
Ryusei: "I said shut it! Major... no, forget that... Ingram Prisken! You'll pay for what you've done!!"

"Hate me, Ryusei Date... show me your fury!"

The R-1 received a new attack as of this mission; the Heaven-and-Earth Telekinetic Sword! I'm assuming Ryusei named it himself, so I'll just call it T-LINK Sword. Ryusei gives Ingram a little taste of it here.

"You are weak, Ryusei." :smug:

Worth noting on this mission is that the Habbakuks will actually fight intelligently and attack the Hagane if it's in range, as opposed to just firing on whoever's closest.

It works out all right, actually. Daitetsu gained something like four levels on this mission alone.

Having a new unit with a pretty sweet ALL attack helps out, too.

As does having a Valsion.

Ryusei helps to pick them apart as well.

Although Ingram does keep going for him. Since Ryusei has Grit and a decent natural dodge chance, I'm basically just using him to keep Ingram safely occupied until it's time to go for the kill.

Damaging the R-GUN enough triggers another scene. At the worst possible time, another enemy ship warps into the area. Its energy field concentrates at the bow, and Tetsuya realizes with horror that it's going to ram them. He orders the overboost be deployed, and evasive maneuvers - but Daitetsu countermands him. Instead, the captain orders full speed ahead, to meet the enemy head-on...

"Leave that role to us."

Out of nowhere the Kurogane arrives, Titanic Drill running full-bore...

...and plows right into the enemy.

Having made his stylish entrance, Elzam hails the Hagane; he's come to offer us cover. Rai is finding this all a bit much to deal with, but his brother assures him that at least he knows who his enemies are. In light of Ingram's betrayal, Daitetsu is entirely ready to accept help from any avenue.

So now we have another Huleh to deal with; thankfully, it's down 15k health already and the Kurogane is right there to keep it busy and continue the work it started. The Titanic Drill can do 6 or 7000 damage per hit, and Elzam knows Valor on top of that.

Speaking of Hulehs, up in the corner a Rampage Ghost/Gigante Uragano combo wipe out the first ship. At 10,000 cash a pop, Hulehs are going to be your main Luck/Bless cash-farming targets from now on, now that you'll mainly be using your MAP weapons just to weaken the enemies.

Ingram's little group of reinforcements is well in hand, so we can let some other people have words with him.

Ingram: "Rai. I needed three gifted individuals for the SRX Team."
Rai: "Three? So I wasn't really needed, is that it!?"
Ingram: "That's right. You were just a placeholder."
Rai: "...!"
Ingram: "I'd made plans, but they'll no longer be necessary."

Rai: "drat it... I lost this hand... and I told myself that I'd never let Ryusei or the Captain go through the same kind of pain."
Ingram: "But pain gives rise to power."
Rai: "Stop talking! If I'd realized what you were up to sooner...!"
Ingram: "Hmph..."

Rai: "Ingram... you said you didn't need me."
Ingram: "....."
Rai: "But I'm still the one in the R-2's pilot seat, and I'll use it against you!"

"Here I come, Ingram Prisken!"

"I knew this was all I could expect from you, Raidiese..."

Finishing Ingram will end the mission, so everybody gets their kills while they can.

Which takes me another turn.

:eng101:This was a welcome change from the original, where killing off all the grunts caused Ingram to retreat.

The Kurogane has done most of the work versus the second Huleh...

...but Giado shows up just in time to steal the kill and gets a boost up to level 31.

"Show me the power sleeping within you... the power I've been seeking..." Ingram is full of lines like this versus Ryusei.

To spread around the experience, I twin Irm up with Ryoto and send them to finish the job with Ingram.

Irm: "drat. Well, you had me going for a long time."
Ingram: "You also had some excellent properties. Though I wish Ring were here as well."
Irm: "Yeah, me too. Gotta hand it to you, Major Ingram; at least you're a better actor than Hans."

Irm: "Thanks to you, the PTX Team is gonna get one hell of a finale... but there won't be an encore!"

Taking out Ingram gives a substantial boost to both pilots. Irm learns Love, which is a pretty amazing spirit, being a combination of Alert, Strike, Accelerate, Valor, Spirit, Gain, and Luck. It's also pretty expensive - or it would be, except that Irm's ace bonus reduces its cost to 45 SP. :getin:

:toot:

Ingram isn't surprised by the R-GUN's defeat, given all that he knows about us. In any case, it would be premature to terminate such promising specimens now...

Wait, what?

Viletta arrives to collect Ingram. She's retrieved the sample, so all that's left is to withdraw.

Ingram: "Then this is farewell. I look forward to your future struggles..."

Ryusei: "drat it, wait! Ingram!!"
Rai: "It's no use. They've warped out of here...!"
Ryusei: "Ugh..."
Masaki: "That bastard..."

Irm: (Tch... I spent more time around the Major than anyone, and I didn't have a clue who he really was!"
Kyosuke: (I suspected him since that last mission... but I waited too long to be sure...)

Rio: "Ryoto, Bullet! Kusuha! Where's Kusuha!?"
Ryoto: "...Huh!?"
Bullet: "She's not here!?"
Rio: "N-no... I'm not picking up the Type-2 anywhere!"
Tasuku: "Are you serious!? She was just here a minute ago!"

Bullet: "Kusuha! Come in! Kusuha!!"
Leona: "I'm not getting a response...!"

Ryusei: "What's the matter!? What happened!?"
Rio: "R-Ryusei... Kusuha is... she's gone!"
Ryusei: "Wh-what!?"

Ryoto: "Could Major Ingram have..."
Bullet: "You're kidding..."

Ryusei rages helplessly as the camera fades out.

Kyosuke Version

On Kyosuke's route I flip things a bit in the name of seeing some more battle conversations, so Irm goes to deal with the Huleh while Kyosuke and Excellen go after Ingram.

Unfortunately, Radha pulls a natural zero versus Ingram. :sigh:

Radha: "How could you be an enemy spy...!"
Ingram: "The R-GUN's adjustments are splendid. Let that thought comfort you as you give up your life."
Radha: "I'm used to being betrayed. But to spit on Aya's feelings... that can never be forgiven!"

Excellen: "Honestly, I just have no luck with men. I had an eye on you, Major."
Ingram: "I was blessed with some fine specimens. Kyosuke Nanbu, Brooklyn Luckfield..."

Ingram: "And perhaps you most of all, Excellen Browning."
Excellen: "...What, now you're trying to chat me up?"

For a whole line of dialogue, you get to hear Excellen being serious.

"Major Ingram. For once... I'm pissed."

"Excellen... you have more power than this."

Just one line of dialogue, I said.

"Let's see what happens when that smug mask of your slips, Ingram!"

And of course, Rampage Ghost ends up being used to finish the job.

Kyosuke: "Ingram Prisken... you've been stacking the deck, but your game's up now!"
Ingram: "Hmhmm... they say the world of gambling is fraught with injustice. Reality is no different."
Kyosuke: "Agreed. And when a cheat gets caught out, they pay the price... just like reality!"

I twinned Radha up with Kyosuke for the kill, since she desperately needs the experience. Her final spirit is Enable, which allows an allied unit to move a second time.

There were a couple other exchanges that I didn't get to show off.

quote:

Masaki: "Ingram!! People like you, who think human lives are nothing... they're the ones I can never forgive!"
Ingram: "I suppose you'll spend your days pursuing me now, like Shu Shirakawa?"
Masaki: "You two might as well be working together."
Ingram: "The day of judgement draws near. And when it arrives, the powerless will perish... I've just acted accordingly."
Masaki: "I don't care about your excuses!"
Ingram: "Hmph... you're a fool."
Masaki: "I'm fine with being a fool. On the honor of my Elemental Lord, I'm gonna kick your rear end!"

quote:

Daitetsu: "You've betrayed your allies, Major Ingram..."
Ingram: "You're one of what we sought most of all, among humans... a skilled commander of men."
Daitetsu: "Really. I'll put all my past experience to use in smashing your designs!"
Ingram: "Hmph. Then, let's embark on a new voyage, towards a destination we call 'despair.'"
Daitetsu: "I will. But not with you!"

quote:

Sean: "Oh, dear... these old eyes of mine can't see as well as they used to, it seems."
Lefina: "Major Ingram, you're..."
Ingram: "Destroying the enemies in my way. Didn't somebody once tell you the same, Captain?"
Lefina: "....!"
Sean: "Your pardon, Major. But there will be no more words for you. If it's a fight you wish, then a fight you will have."
Lefina: "XO?"
Sean: "Captain, as the commander of a warship you cannot hesitate. He would expect no less."
Lefina: "...Very well."

:eng101:Thankfully omitted in the remake is a scene of Ryusei and Bullet being at each others' throats, blaming one another for Kusuha's capture and needing Kyosuke and Giado to break them up.

The Kurogane has left the area, and the Hagane's crew has retrieved the R-3. The mech is in bad shape, but the enhancement parts may have saved Aya's life; she's still unconscious, but her injuries are relatively minor.

The wrecked R-GUN has also been recovered, though it only serves as a reminder of Ingram's betrayal. Daitetsu thinks that he's getting old; otherwise, surely he would have seen through the deception. He orders a return to the Far East Base; there's no time to waste in their preparations.

I suppose I need to get a new avatar now.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 15, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal Ingram! :argh:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'm pretty sure that the R-2 Powered is one of 2 or 3 units in the game that has a Shield. It's automatically used if you defend, since there was no point for a Shield Defense skill when so few units had one.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

I suppose I need to get a new avatar now.

You brought it upon yourself when you said the words.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Didn't Ingram kidnap Excellen instead of Kusuha in Kyosuke's route? Or does that happen in a later mission?
Gotta hand it to Ingram, he's really effective at what he does.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Odd that the 'cutting the enemy in half' thing isn't part of a Dynamic Kill, given that Ingram is still very much alive after it.

Loving the 'targeting data' that is just someone mashing their fingers on the home keys. :allears:

Seyser Koze posted:

Ingram: "Hmph. Then, let's embark on a new voyage, towards a destination we call 'despair.'" *

Is this asterisk a typo, or was there a translator's note that you missed actually putting in?

And count me as one of the two that didn't see Ingram's betrayal coming. I guess I just overlooked his appearance on the White Star, and as for the rest of it, I thought he was part of the distressingly common 'abuse and trauma will bring out people's ultimate potential' leadership model (see also Gendo Ikari).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omobono posted:

Didn't Ingram kidnap Excellen instead of Kusuha in Kyosuke's route? Or does that happen in a later mission?
Gotta hand it to Ingram, he's really effective at what he does.

He kidnaps Excellen later. Kusuha gets damseled in both routes.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I actually didn't see this one coming, suggesting that I may be the least observant follower of SRPGs in history.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

FredMSloniker posted:

Is this asterisk a typo, or was there a translator's note that you missed actually putting in?

I was going to put a few of them on his hammier I AM AN EVIL VILLAIN lines, and then put '*Ingram is loving this poo poo' at the end. Then when I was actually screenshotting I decided it would work better under any of the several dozen :unsmigghh: faces.

Then I missed an asterisk. :eng99:

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 15, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So if Katina has the R-Gun in Kyouskue's route does Ingram use another mech or does he just take it anyway.h

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Son Ryo posted:

I'm pretty sure that the R-2 Powered is one of 2 or 3 units in the game that has a Shield. It's automatically used if you defend, since there was no point for a Shield Defense skill when so few units had one.

Doesn't the R-1 have one as well? It always has before.

Anyway Ingram, betrayal, et cetera. Back in Alpha they didn't manage to get the Plus Parts for the R-3 in time, which led to a lot of "you don't need legs in space! Do it anyway!" from Ingram. It actually might've been surprising back then, since the last time Ingram was in a game he was the main character and was therefore good all the way through. After Alpha, though...yeah. One time on the GBA I managed to set it up so I just straight up one-shot him with Ryusei, it was so great. Fully upgraded Shishioh Blade, 380-something melee, 150 will, Attacker, Valor, and Revenge. Beautiful.

Also back in Alpha you had to attack Ingram with Ryusei to get a secret later, which I didn't know and just wiped him out with Leona and a Valored Doomblade the second he turned. Then I went through the entire game only to find out I missed out on that critical secret. It made me so mad I looked up a secret list in Japanese and translated it my own drat self. (I did get the other secret you get from doing that though, which was nice)

I forgot how annoyingly smug Elzam was back in OG1. Dude, last time we met you were part of a stupid rebellion, which we just cleaned up entirely on our own while you were sitting on a tropical beach, and back then we had to beat your rear end into the ground. No poo poo Rai's going to think you're an enemy.

Kusuha getting kidnapped like that is still dumb. They try to justify it, but it's still so, so dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

So if Katina has the R-Gun in Kyouskue's route does Ingram use another mech or does he just take it anyway.h

If a character is mandated to have a robot in a stage they will always have it and dump other pilots out.

This can get super annoying in certain games.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Evil Ingram has an amazing theme song and is an awesome bastard in general. :allears:

Adding to the list of foreshadowing : You know how at the end of the last mission they called Viletta Badam Prisken with the name of Beth Balshem? Waaaay back in Update 1, our mysterious masked man calls Ingram Aleph Balshem. See if you can guess the theme behind the Aerogaters and their naming schemes!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

GimmickMan posted:

See if you can guess the theme behind the Aerogaters and their naming schemes!

Gun companies and characters played by Kurt Russell in John Carpenter movies. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I've been waiting forever to post this

and of course

EDIT: I forgot an image, added it in

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 15, 2015

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

Gun companies and characters played by Kurt Russell in John Carpenter movies. :v:

I like to believe Ingram is named after the mysterious masked man's favourite things: Patlabor and Escape from New York.

Edit: I like how Rai's entire left arm is bandaged in that comic. You'd think they could stop after a certain point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

Edit: I like how Rai's entire left arm is bandaged in that comic. You'd think they could stop after a certain point.
The way it's bandaged in that comic makes it look like he actually lost his hand. It just ends in a stump.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

If you compare with his right arm he looks like he's just missing the fingers. Probably would make sense to pop the prosthetic off for a bit if you need to work on the fleshy parts, though. (assuming that's a thing they can do)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Onmi posted:

The ATX manga.

Those first few panels. :drat:

I wish these games could show that level of detail. Ingram's new expressions alone really help sell the deal despite the limitations of the engine, but seeing it like this is a whole different thing. Then again it could always be worse. I don't even remember how the Divine Wars anime did this part, so they probably botched this too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't believe there's people who couldn't tell Ingram was evil. I could tell Ingram was evil, watching someone else play, with literally no knowledge of mecha anime (Super Robot Wars got me into mecha anime, not the other way around). This game is really, really unsubtle.

Also I think that removing the Ryusei/Bullet scene is actually a bad thing. It showed just how high tensions got because Ryusei's childhood friend/Bullet's crush got kidnapped, and they needed to take that anger off on someone. It was very Gundam, and considering both are piloting units that are most definitely not the Zeta Gundam and a generic Gundam design respectively...

Also also the ATX manga oh my god. That "WHAT THE HELL" Ryusei face is just channeling Ryoma so much, I love it.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

At least we now know where Asakim took his :smug: lessons from.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't believe there's people who couldn't tell Ingram was evil. I could tell Ingram was evil, watching someone else play, with literally no knowledge of mecha anime (Super Robot Wars got me into mecha anime, not the other way around). This game is really, really unsubtle.

Also I think that removing the Ryusei/Bullet scene is actually a bad thing. It showed just how high tensions got because Ryusei's childhood friend/Bullet's crush got kidnapped, and they needed to take that anger off on someone. It was very Gundam, and considering both are piloting units that are most definitely not the Zeta Gundam and a generic Gundam design respectively...

Also also the ATX manga oh my god. That "WHAT THE HELL" Ryusei face is just channeling Ryoma so much, I love it.

They removed it because it played into the love triangle that doesn't exist in OG1. Now granted I was mostly cool with the existence of that plot, but I can see another reason why it was removed. To stop Ryusei being percieved as a 'Loser' when it came to it. especially since the ending of the game essentially has him go home to find out Kusuha's gone and he's alone with his mother

Now granted, if you look at him that way, you're a lamer, but I can see why they changed it especially given that it never had a chance of going anywhere.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I kind of wish they kept serious Excellen for the rest of the fight after her encounter with Ingram.

That said, serious Excellen has not gone away. She's coming back very, very soon.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Those first few panels. :drat:

I wish these games could show that level of detail. Ingram's new expressions alone really help sell the deal despite the limitations of the engine, but seeing it like this is a whole different thing. Then again it could always be worse. I don't even remember how the Divine Wars anime did this part, so they probably botched this too.

Honestly, Divine Wars did it as well as the budget allowed. They knew this was a climax and acted accordingly. I liked the little detail of the R-2 losing the Hi-Zol Launchers after the failed combination - they fly off (to for the arms and of course he can't get them back.

Basically it was as good as you could expect, but it really really depends on what your expectations were.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I love that Ingram's uniform changes as soon as he reveals himself; I like to think that he was just wearing it under his SRX Team jacket and dramatically tore it off as soon as he saw that the test was failing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5MlJoKN4I4

Here would be how this scene goes down in Divine War. So to explain why the combination failed, Aya's the one who combines the whole robot, rather than it just... happening. So the psychic strain was just too much (especially considering that she's got trauma relating to her powers after a certain point).

Rai's job is maintain and watch the Tronium engine so it doesn't explode and kill them all, Aya's to combine the machine And add her power to Ryusei, and Ryusei is the main pilot and initiates the TK weaponry. Rai has one other important job, he can cancel the transformation in case it becomes dangerous. Which given what just happened and the fact they have a Tronium engine, seems wise to give it to the guy who once got a Huckebein exploded on him.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Wounded Land posted:

I love that Ingram's uniform changes as soon as he reveals himself; I like to think that he was just wearing it under his SRX Team jacket and dramatically tore it off as soon as he saw that the test was failing.

That's actually his pilot suit :v:

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 15, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

FredMSloniker posted:

And count me as one of the two that didn't see Ingram's betrayal coming. I guess I just overlooked his appearance on the White Star, and as for the rest of it, I thought he was part of the distressingly common 'abuse and trauma will bring out people's ultimate potential' leadership model (see also Gendo Ikari).

I am the other one. You, I, and David Corbett shall attempt to combine into a super form, and gently caress it up, prompting Koze to put one of us out of our misery. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was spoiled on that particular plot development when I first played OG1, so I noticed all the little hints. Still, you know, what a cold way to do it.

Record of ATX is pretty good. The OG1 protion is really condensed, making it hard to follow if you haven't played the game, but the OG2 arc is much better about this.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FredMSloniker posted:

Loving the 'targeting data' that is just someone mashing their fingers on the home keys. :allears:

Now, now. "afudhaifjnadlfkajdfoij adfdhiofadsifjaidfjaodfijaof" is incredibly crucial enemy motion analysis! I'd dare say you wouldn't be able to lock on to your targets without it. :v:

It wasn't just Ingram playing up the "I am totally going to backstab you" that I thought made things more obvious in this. The most notable thing that really made it more blindingly obvious was the new scene where he promises Aya a date. He's not a teenage shounen hero like Bullet, so if he wasn't going to turn evil then he might as well have had two days left until his retirement.

Oh, and the R-GUN? Getting it back is similar to getting the Valsion Custom - if you don't actually destroy it/get the battle mastery? Ingram takes it with him for keeps, at least in OG1. This can be a nasty surprise if you slapped the Shishio Blade on it like the thread recommended Seyzer do.

Seyser Koze posted:

"Viletta" is a corruption/poor romanization of "Baretta", isn't it. :aaa: I never noticed that until now.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 15, 2015

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The localization was surprisingly good at un-mangling names that seemed different enough from the JP originals they stirred up quite a few arguments back in the day. I always found it really weird that Viletta's name was never fixed the same way.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

The localization was surprisingly good at un-mangling names that seemed different enough from the JP originals they stirred up quite a few arguments back in the day. I always found it really weird that Viletta's name was never fixed the same way.

probably because Baretta sounds... less like a persons name compared to Viletta

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Onmi posted:

Beretta is a real name though. I mean that's kind of the point behind gun names, that they're the names of real people.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GimmickMan posted:

Beretta is a real name though. I mean that's kind of the point behind gun names, that they're the names of real people.

True, but it's a surname, and Vadim, while potentially a given name, is strictly masculine. That said, "Vadim Beretta" would probably fit the naming scheme just as well, if they chose to take it that way. It would make the "I'm related to Ingram" reveal make a little less sense, though.

EDIT: Prodding at Google, though, I have to wonder if 'Vadim' was supposed to be Bodeen/Bodine/Beaudine, keeping with the "Gun + Kurt Russel" motif Ingram has. Eh, probably overthinking it.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 15, 2015

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

Onmi posted:

If you pronounce Viletta wrong, you go from an unusual human name to "oh she's the bad guy in some terrible 80s kid's show about love and friendship and cereal."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

Rai's job is maintain and watch the Tronium engine so it doesn't explode and kill them all, Aya's to combine the machine And add her power to Ryusei, and Ryusei is the main pilot and initiates the TK weaponry. Rai has one other important job, he can cancel the transformation in case it becomes dangerous. Which given what just happened and the fact they have a Tronium engine, seems wise to give it to the guy who once got a Huckebein exploded on him.
This is probably one of better parts of Rai's character that non-game material decided to expand upon. Out the SRX team members, Rai probably knows the most about the machine he pilots. And I don't mean the Tronium Engine monitoring part, I mean everything else about it since the R-2 is the main torso/upper body portion of the SRX itself. He knows how it transforms and what it can do. This leads to a very cool moment later on in The Inspector, but I'll hold off discussing that for now.

And as you said, who better to have monitoring the SRX's Tronium Engine than the one person who has very intimate knowledge of exactly what a haywire Tronium Engine sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Technically the Huckebein ran on a Black Hole Engine, which uses magical bullshit to convert black holes into energy, whereas Tronium is just McGuffin-level radioactive fuel. But at this point, Rai's one of the only pilots on Earth with any experience with EOT engines at all. In OG1, I think it's just the original Huckebein, R-2/SRX, and Granzon that run on EOT. Not sure about the Valsion. Everything else is Earth tech.

Anyway, have some Alpha 4komas about Ingram's betrayal.

• Locked thread