Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
They should just make you use the Proto-Getter for half a game. Then you'll appreciate the Getter 3. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, it was nice to have a big kickass robot for one mission.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I spent most of this week lying on the floor of my apartment making this face ------> :zombie:

It's now early Saturday morning and I haven't recorded this mission (which is a bastard) yet and I may not make the weekly deadline, so if I don't squeeze an update out by EOD Sunday there'll be a minimum of two next week. Hopefully.

Glazius posted:

Well, it was nice to have a big kickass robot for one mission.

It'll be back. For a little while.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 18, 2015

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's cool man, don't go trying to burn yourself out.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

LPing a Super Robot Wars game is hard work, go at a confortable pace. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Omobono posted:

Isn't the upgraded form of the SRX (not appearing in the OG games yet) called the Banpreios? You know a mecha is horribly OP when it's straight up named after the company making the game.

:v:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
And now I want to see Platinum Robo in a SRW game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

legoman727 posted:

"It's time to cleave evil, valiantuim style!"

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Making a Unite Fist out of a SRW rooster to punch Jerghinga in the face? Yes, please.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Did anyone mention yet that, according to the combination cutscenes from the other games, poor Aya is stuck forming the robot's crotch?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure that's a proud mecha tradition dating back to Combattler and Voltes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

She doesn't even get to form "the legs", which is a fairly respectable and necessary role. Her backpack forms the legs. She just gets stuck as a robogroin.

Edit Which also means, given that she's the one holding the robot together with her T-Link field, the crotch is also the SRX's weak point. :stare:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Poison Mushroom posted:

She doesn't even get to form "the legs", which is a fairly respectable and necessary role. Her backpack forms the legs. She just gets stuck as a robogroin.

Edit Which also means, given that she's the one holding the robot together with her T-Link field, the crotch is also the SRX's weak point. :stare:

They don't call it a Cockpit for nothing

I am horrible and should be punished for that :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AtomikKrab posted:

They don't call it a Cockpit for nothing

I am horrible and should be punished for that :v:

Don't be.
Zone of the Enders took that and lived by the name.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Don't be.
Zone of the Enders took that and lived by the name.

So did Turn A Gundam.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 34, Ryusei Route

Ingram intends to go out on the next excursion, saying that he wants to test a theory. Levi reminds him that time grows short; they must select the Class Gibol specimens quickly.

He notes that he hasn't seen Viletta recently; Levi tells him that the Earthlings are up to some mischief in Antarctica, so she was sent out to put a stop to it. Privately, Ingram suspects that Atad has been whispering in Levi's ear, suggesting that the two of them be kept apart.

Speaking of which, Atad confronts "Aleph" on his way to his mech: why did his report to Levi say nothing about Excellen Browning? There is something different about her, and Atad doesn't believe for one moment that Ingram was never aware of it. Surely he's not trying to hide something from Levi? It's all quite suspicious, especially considering the role he and Beth had as double agents.

Ingram tells her that if she has suspicions towards him, she should go ahead and direct them to Levi (prompting a disgusted response about the arrogance of the Balshem). Furthermore, if Atad has an interest in Excellen Browning, she can very well capture her herself; it means nothing to him. There are other Class Gibol candidates, after all.

Daitetsu and Lefina go to Norman and Laker with a proposal: the Hiryu Kai and Hagane will leave the area and serve as a decoy. They've confirmed that the Aerogaters are targeting them specifically, and staying at the Far East Base will only endanger the other preparations.

The commanders are understandably reluctant to send the cornerstone of Operation SRW away like this, but Lefina is confident in her belief that the Aerogaters will have no interest in attacking purely to prevent the operation. Quite the opposite; given the thirty-day grace period and the lack of attacks on military installations, she suspects the aliens want humanity to launch an all-out assault on the White Star. She confesses that it's just a feeling she has... but Bian Zoldark had a similar goal in mind, not too long ago.

Norman, it seems, has been having similar thoughts, and agrees to the plan. It's settled; until Operation SRW is ready to commence, the Hagane and Hiryu Kai will be running a diversionary operation.

This means we're back out in the desert again. Joy.

Tasuku is bored out of his skull with having nothing to do; he gets why it's an important job and all, but being bait doesn't sit well for him - unless it's to snare himself a hot chick or something, of course. Rio warns him that he's going to make Leona mad if he keeps saying things like that.

This is all part of his grand strategy, since sometimes you have to let the line out a bit before you can reel them in. Rio doesn't think much of this; Leona doesn't seem to have much experience with (or interest in) men, and if Tasuku's not straight with her he'll get exactly the opposite reaction he wanted. Anyway, his heart doesn't entirely seem to be in it ever since he discovered that he has a rival.

At this point Bullet says that he agrees with Tasuku's concern about the situation, they're (Atlus) "like rooting fish in a Christmas carol." It takes Rio a minute to realize that he meant "like shooting fish in a barrel," which leaves him flabbergasted - Excellen taught him that phrase herself! :saddowns: Rio realizes that he's trying to keep things light, though he may be trying a bit too hard.

:pseudo: Bullet says kamo ga negi to tsuushotto (two-shot) de nabe wo tsutsuiteru (カモがネギとツーショットで鍋をつついてる) which means something like "a duck keeping an onion and a couple photo (two-shot) in a saucepan" or something equally incoherent. The phrase he's mangling is kamo ga negi seotte kuru (カモがネギ背負って来る) or "a duck comes carrying an onion." Basically, something that tastes good when eaten brings you something that will make it taste even better, referring to an opponent (unwittingly?) making your job easier.

Before things can progress further into idiocy, Ryoto comes by with the news that they may be able to save Kusuha if they can disable the Grungust's T-LINK system. Bullet is ready to shoulder the responsibility for it, but the others have to remind him that he's not going it alone. Leona walks in to echo the sentiment, surprising Tasuku, but then responds that she wouldn't expect him to come rescue her if she were captured by the enemy anyway.

He tries to say that there's been a misunderstanding, and she gives a smart response that my brain hurts too much to translate so I'll put the Atlus version instead. (Tasuku: "No, you got it all wrong!" Leona: "Did I get it partially correct?") He's impressed at the quick response, she blushes and says that flattery won't get him anywhere, and Rio thinks Tasuku's odds may be all right after all.

Bullet's ignored all of this and thinks that they were right - he's not in this alone. Then the alarm sounds; looks like the Aerogaters are taking the bait after all.

Mission 34: Steel Titan

:pseudo: Fun fact: Google Translate translates kyoshin (巨神), or "titan," (literally "giant god") as "Space Runaway," I would assume due to the series Space Runaway Ideon also being titled Densetsu Kyoshin Ideon.

It's only recon drones this time, which raises the question of whether the diversion worked or if the Aerogaters are using drones to distract us while their main force attacks somewhere else. Aya and Ryusei have concerns of a different sort - they can sense some sort of pressure building, but what?

Bullet is silent; Excellen teases him about how he's lost in thoughts of his "beloved Kusuha," and he doesn't even bother to deny it. Kyosuke warns him to focus, and he snaps back that he's going to save her, no matter what. In response, Kyosuke reminds him that he can't win a battle on emotion alone - but if he's made up his mind, then see it through.

Objectives - kill things, don't let Bullet or the SRX crew die, and no mastery requirement yet.

We're in the same desert map we just used for Kyosuke's route, oddly enough. We're all wedged in the corner, with a bunch of drones spread out all over the place.

I completely misremembered how this mission worked, and in an effort to outwit the computer I send Bullet and the SRX team over to deal with the Mishleis, while everybody else cuts diagonally across the map to take on the Yirmeyahs and Megillots.

For once, the drones die quickly and with a minimum of RNG shenanigans. By the middle of Turn 2, we've killed enough of them off to trigger the first in-mission event.

Aya has a sudden flash of pain - he's coming, there's no doubt about it. Eun confirms that something is indeed coming, as a powerful gravity quake is detected just to the east.

Early on Turn 3, we polish off the last of the drones.

More enemies arrive, this time with the Grungust Type-2 accompanying them...

...along with Ingram, who has evidently had no trouble building a replacement R-GUN for himself. Ryusei wastes no time yelling at him, and he responds by thanking the team; their sample data has been most fruitful.

Aya: "Major!"
Ingram: "....."
Aya: "Is it true? Have you really been an Aerogater all along? Have you always been our enemy!?"
Ingram: "I have."

Ingram: "Aya. In your state, you'll never bring the T-LINK System to full drive."
Aya: "You called me defective... then why didn't you kill me!?"
Ingram: "I thought of another use for you. Though it's a slim chance, all the same..."
Aya: "You treat us like we're just objects...!"

Ingram: "And why not? You are merely the power source for SRX, assisted by its combat control system, Ryusei Date... Not unlike Bullet and Kusuha."
Bullet: "What the hell!?"

At this point Masaki has had enough :smug: for one day and yells that they're wasting time. Ingram agrees, urging the crew to fight; after all, they'll surely die if they don't. Masaki and Bullet both just get more pissed off at this, but Kyosuke warns them not to let Ingram rile them up - it's just what he wants. Ingram thinks that the ATX leader has a good grasp of the situation... but how will they handle this?

Kusuha: "Bullet..."
Ryusei: "Kusuha!?"
Bullet: "I knew it, Ingram..."
Kusuha: "Are you planning to rescue me...?"
Bullet: "...!?"

Kusuha: "But you can't. I belong to Major Ingram now..."
Bullet: "K-Kusuha!"
Excellen: (Wow, talk about dirty tricks... he's pushing all the right buttons.)

Kusuha: "Hey, Bullet... you love me, don't you?"
Kusuha: "If you kill Major Ingram... I would be yours instead..."
Bullet: "Kusuha, what are you saying!?"

After the destroy everyone program failed I guess Ingram decided to go for the :stonk: program instead.

:eng101: Also the original has some extra Ingram-level dickishness where Zombie Kusuha complains that Ryusei doesn't love her.

Ryusei has no interest in playing Ingram's game, telling Bullet to stay focused on Kusuha and let everybody else worry about Ingram. During their last encounter, Radha detected a much stronger reaction when Kusuha faced Bullet than at any other point - of all of them, Bullet has greatest chance of bringing her back to herself. Kyosuke is willing to bet on that chance. Bullet will disable the Type-2's T-LINK System, while everybody else provides cover and wipes out the enemy.

Ingram: "Now, my chosen samples... show me what you can do."
Ryusei: "Counting on you, Bullet!"
Bullet: "Yeah. Leave it to me!"

Bullet (Bullet specifically) now needs to reduce the Grungust Type-2 to below 10% health. There's still no sign of the battle mastery objective. We've seen all of this before, but all the enemies have received a bit of a facelift; Zechariahs now have 10k health, Habakkuks have 12k, the Type-2 is now up to 15k, and the R-GUN has been beefed up to 40k.

Anyway, going into this mission I thought that Kusuha would be appearing down by where the Mishleis had been, which was why I sent Bullet running in that direction. I also thought that an upcoming event would result in the SRX team automatically moving up near Ingram, and that isn't happening either, so they're ridiculously out of position and will have to spend a couple turns catching up to everybody else.

I'm not in the mood to fight a big pack of upgraded Aerogater grunts the slow way (a recurring theme, you've no doubt noticed), so Masaki and Lune both use their MAPs to soften them up. Everybody else plows into their line shortly thereafter, with Irm and Kyosuke leading the charge.

Ingram goes for Kyosuke with his first shot, but he's out of range so we just defend.

Kyosuke: "You're full of clever tricks, aren't you? It's getting annoying."
Ingram: "You favor brute force, but that doesn't interest me."
Kyosuke: "I can see that. But sometimes that's what's called for..."

The Metal Destroyer isn't too bad when it's Kyosuke and he's defending, but Ingram's morale will quickly get to the point where he can just one-shot lighter units like the Weissritter.

Some people fare better against Ingram in terms of numbers than others. He dodges better than he aims, but most of our pilots will still want to use Strike or Focus to have a reliable chance of hitting him.

After this he still dodged about four 80-90% attacks. In a row. :argh:

Not this one, though.

Meanwhile, Kusuha ignores everybody and chases after Bullet. She catches up to him on Turn 4.

Kusuha: "Bullet... you can't beat me... do you want to die at my hands...?"
Bullet: "No more hesitation... I will get you out of that thing!"

This will take a little while, but Bullet's in no danger to speak of.

Immediately after this, Ingram gets countered with another Rampage Ghost, leaving him in a good position to finish off on Turn 5 (and leaving Kyosuke in need of some repairs, since he didn't block this time).

Latooni and Garnet finish the job. Well, more like Latooni finishes it and Garnet gives moral support.

For a moment it looks like we've won, but Ingram isn't perturbed in the least. He starts to laugh; our power has exceeded his expectations. Ryusei doesn't want to hear any excuses for his defeat. Ingram, however, isn't making any. It's time to show the R-GUN's true nature...

Here the R-GUN does a little DBZ powerup animation, there's an extremely brief lightning-striking video, and then something else sort of fades in. It's still more elaborate than the SRX combination. (No, I'm not over this.)

Tasuku: "It... it transformed!?"
Masaki: "What is that?"
Rai: "An upgrade to the R-GUN? No, it's the wrong size to be a PT..."
Masaki: "You can say that again, that thing's huge!"

Ingram: "Heh heh... this is the R-GUN reborn... the R-GUN Rivale."
Leona: "Because it's supposed to be our rival? You even named it to mock us..."
Ingram: "Enough play. The samples with inferior growth must be disposed of."
Ryusei: "Is he still talking about us like that?"

Kyosuke: "All units, move to engage Major Ingram. Don't take any chances with that new mech."
Ingram: "Use all your power. There's no need for restraint."

Ingram: "Heh heh... so don't show any..."
Gilliam: (Could he be...?)

Aaaaand we finally get our mastery requirement: bring the R-GUN Rivale below 40% health within 8 turns. It's actually a fairly generous time limit, though still sort of a dick move since pursuing the actual victory objective (Kusuha) won't reveal the requirement.

Anyway, as for the machine we're going to be fighting...

:vince:

S ranks in all terrain types, a Distortion Field barrier (we last saw one of these on the Valsion), 20% energy regen, and for the first time, built-in HP regen (10% at the beginning of each enemy phase.) It's also pink. To top it off, notice that its health is still a line of question marks? That's because it's our first enemy with 6-digit HP. Not just slightly over 100k either - the Rivale has 160,000 health, and you won't even see its actual health value until you've knocked it down to five digits.

He also has a pretty massive weapon range. No chance of sniping him from a safe distance.

The gauntlet was already thrown down in the thread, so now I don't have a choice. We're not knocking Ingram below 40% health (which would cause him to flee), we're going to wipe him out completely. Maybe.

But first we're going to shred up the other enemies a bit while we try to get the R-Series into range. Everybody else gathers around so that we'll have a good support chain going when the carnage finally begins.

And then Ingram proceeds to run away from said support chain, because now that he's transformed he's only interested in Ryusei. Also he's a dick. :doh:

So we move the support blob after him. Meanwhile, a couple of notable level-ups take place as Lefina and Giado dust off the last couple grunts. Lefina gained five levels this mission (from 29 to 34), learning Rouse and Inspire. Giado learned Renew, which is pretty welcome at this point.

On Turn 7 it's time to focus on the Rivale for real. Thankfully, it doesn't dodge or hit nearly as well as the basic R-GUN did, which is pretty much the only silver lining in Ingram's debut as a full-fledged endgame boss.

Actually, first I have Gilliam go for him, to show off a conversation.

Gilliam: "You're Major Ingram Prisken..."
Ingram: "Hm...? You're..."
Gilliam: "....."

Ingram: "You. Who are you!?"
Gilliam: "My share a destiny of sorts. Let's just say... I'm a fellow traveler between worlds."
Ingram: "What...?"
Gilliam: "But the roads we walk are different. I can see that now."

Ingram: "...What is your purpose?"
Gilliam: "There was something I'd planned to confirm."
Ingram: "You had planned?"
Gilliam: "I had. Now fighting you takes priority."
Ingram: "Hmph. This is unexpected..."

There can be only one Hair. Gilliam doesn't do much in the actual combat, though; Ryusei backs him up with an R-Formation.

The real fight begins with Leona, who tags him with an Armor Breaker. It doesn't do much damage, but reduces the Rivale's armor by 30% for the rest of the turn, getting us an extra few thousand damage per hit. Kyosuke supports with a Rampage Ghost.

Rai and Aya follow up with two Valored R-Formations of their own. I'm not worried about preserving their SP because of Reasons.

Ingram: "Pressing the attack in the face of overwhelming odds... this isn't like you at all, Raidiese."
Rai: "No, it's really not. But after meeting Ryusei, and Masaki, and Kyosuke... I feel like I've rediscovered what it means to fight."
Ingram: "Heh..."
Rai: "You were a barrier to overcome. I think somehow I always knew that."
Ingram: "Then you'll have to bet your life to do so."
Rai: "And I will!"

Aya doesn't get to say anything. :sigh: This is enough to put Ingram below 80% health.

He says that we fight well, but not well enough; now it's his turn, and he makes a run at Ryusei.

"Ryusei, I know all of your movements... I taught them to you!"

The R-1 is severely damaged, and nobody can intervene in time. Ingram taunts Ryusei, telling him that he's powerless - and because of that, he will never defeat the Aerogaters. Ryusei despairs; he didn't come all this way for it to end here...

???: RTE LEVEL EXCEEDED. PRORITIZING SURVIVAL OF PILOT AND FRAME. TRANSFERRING T-LINK CONTROL TO URANUS SYSTEM.

Ingram: (It's finally activated...)
Radha: "The system changed?"
Ryusei: "R-1... You can keep going...?"

??? : TACTICAL SITUATION IN STALEMATE. REQUESTING RELEASE OF PROTECTION ON "ONLY ONE CRASH."

Rai realizes with shock that the engine's output has greatly increased - and is still stable, no less. Seeing a chance, he requests that Captain Lefina authorize pattern OOC. Aya balks at this, and Rai is fully aware of the risks, but if they don't do something drastic, Ingram will finish them. Sean suspects that Ingram has a plan for just such an event, but Lefina gives the order anyway - sometimes you just have to go for broke, after all. (Excellen comments that she's been corrupted by Kyosuke's bad influence.)

Everybody's on board with it, so SRX does the same combination routine from Kyosuke 33. Ingram is duly impressed that the team has managed to pull it off after all. That leads into this little exchange:

Ryusei: "Aya, are you okay!?"
Aya: "Yes, I have it under control. Don't worry about me."
Ryusei: "We're fighting Ingram. You're all right about this?"
Aya: "If that man wants to be our enemy - Earth's enemy, then I'll fight him alongside you. That's why I'm here!"

So we've got SRX again. All three pilots got all their SP back as a result of this event, which is why I gave Rai and Aya the task of knocking off that first chunk of Ingram's health. They do not recover their energy, but that's easily rectified with a Renew from Aya.

Irm Darkness Blades Ingram down below the threshold where we can actually see his HP.

We have to do a little creative shuffling to make sure we're in position here. I could just wait a turn, but he'd recover 16k health and dammit, we're one-turning this. Giado uses his new Renew spirit to top off Kyosuke and Excellen's EN again, after the multiple Rampage Ghosts they've already done.

Kyosuke then hits Ingram with a Rampage Ghost (sans Valor), which leaves him a mere 559 HP above his departure cutoff. :sweat:

Excellen moves up to a spot where she can support another unit that's attacking from melee range. Masaki takes up position next to her. In a colossal waste of SP, Latooni and Lefina both use Inspire to give them a second move and they twin up. (This turns out to be unnecessary; Excellen could do the job solo.) She gets a bonus 10% to her support damage thanks to her ace bonus, so this should pay off.

Then Ryusei twins up with Ryoto, who's using the R-GUN for this mission. This is where things get a bit weird. The R-GUN is a TK-type mech, so twinning up with it grants Ryusei a +2 bonus to his TK level. This puts him high enough to use SRX's ultimate attack, the Heaven-and-Earth Telekinetic Burst Slash (TK Burst Slash in Atlus' version and hereafter in the LP).

Then we use Ryoto's twin spirit, Soul. It multiplies damage by 2.5, which is a pretty inefficient use of SP under any realistic condition, but we're showing off here and sometimes you really need to do a lot of damage all at once. Like now. Then Rai uses Fury so that our attacks will bypass the R-GUN Rivale's distortion field.

Now we're ready. SRX (TK Burst Slash) and Ryoto (Shishioh Blade), supported by Excellen (Rampage Ghost) and Masaki (Cosmo Nova).

Ingram: "Now, come... I'll give SRX its first duel."
Ryusei: "I'm gonna wipe that smirk off your face, Ingram!"
Aya: "Major Ingram... if you're an enemy... I won't hold anything back!"
Ingram: "Really. That's good..."
Ryusei: "Let's go, SRX! Show me your power!"

Here we go...

Yeowch.

This is honestly going a lot better than I had expected.

Ingram still gets to wave his chain-bladey things around a bit.

At this point any more damage is just a formality.

But Masaki is on the job anyway.

That's one dead boss. I just wish Valor affected support attacks.

:toot:

Despite the Rivale's defeat, Ingram is more than satisfied with the sample data he's just collected. Promising that we'll meet again, he departs. Ryusei yells for him to wait, but Kyosuke reminds him that there's a more pressing concern: Kusuha.

Masaki never attacked Ingram directly this mission, but if he had...

quote:

Masaki: "What brought you down here, Ingram!?"
Ingram: "I'm just here to check on the growth of my samples."
Masaki: "Yeah, I wonder about that... I'm not buying it!"
Ingram: "You mean to tell me you're not being used?"
Masaki: "You're the only one who says that!"
Ingram: "....."
Masaki: "Forget it... I don't know what you're plotting, and I don't care! Mess with me and I'll beat you down!"

Bullet's entire job on this mission has been standing around and keeping Kusuha occupied, so at this point it only takes another hit or two.

Kusuha: "Uugh... B-Bullet... you can't..."
Bullet: "The Type-2's still active?"
Kusuha: "I will... kill you... myself..."
Bullet: "Cut down the enemy, before you're cut down yourself... this is disobeying everything Master Rishu and the Major taught me... but I don't care! Come at me, Type-2!"

Bullet: "Gagh...! Take a hit... to deal a hit... this is my only shot at the T-LINK System!"

Kusuha: "Ugh... aaahhh!"
Bullet: "Kusuha! I'm going to save you!"

For a moment there's a panic that they've both been killed, but Kyosuke knows better - Bullet took the attack on the Huckebein's arm to get his opportunity.

Bullet: "Lt. Kyosuke... I've accomplished my mission."
Kyosuke: "Well done, Bullet."
Excellen: "Wow! You really did it, Bullet!"
Bullet: "Yeah... somehow."

Then Ryusei says "Now it's my turn! Time to take down Ingram!" You're really not supposed to focus on him first, I guess. :saddowns:

No further enemy signatures can be detected. The wrecked Type-2 has been retrieved - Kusuha appears to be alive, a great relief to everyone.

Ryusei seems to be the only one not rejoicing, as he's too preoccupied with thoughts of Ingram. He hates to admit it, but they only succeeded at the SRX formation because of him. What was he trying to accomplish?

Bullet rushes to the infirmary and immediately gets yelled by Garnet at for making too much noise. Ryusei assures him that Kusuha's going to be fine; she's just asleep after her ordeal. For his part, Ryusei's here to check on Aya, who lost consciousness after SRX decombined. Bullet tries to apologize for being so preoccupied with Kusuha that he ignored everybody else, but Ryusei waves it off; Aya just needs some rest, and all's well that ends well in the end.

Radha's been seeing to them both, and Kusuha in particular. There's no sign that Ingram did any kind of surgical tampering, so there's hope that the mind control was accomplished purely through suggestion. That being the case, she may not remember anything that happened while she was gone.

Radha adds that disabling the T-LINK was the best way to free Kusuha, and that Bullet should feel proud of himself for having done so. Bullet is uncomfortable at this, fully aware that he only accomplished it thanks to everybody else's backup.

This leads to the same omitted segment from Kyosuke's route where Ryusei says he's leaving Kusuha to Bullet, then gets confronted by Giado and Garnet over it.

Next is the conversation about how SRX can't be used again thanks to the mechanical strain. At the end, there's another addition:

Ryusei: "Anyway Rai, you should go check on Aya. I think she'll wake up soon."
Rai: "...Why me?"
Ryusei: "It's gonna be a bit awkward talking to her right now, but... tell her she doesn't have to worry about me, okay?"
Rai: "...? All right."

There's a new and unexpected order: the ships are being sent to Coursland Base in Antarctica, site of the attack that kicked off the DC war. The base has been abandoned ever since, but now there are signs of movement - whether DC remnants or Aerogaters, it's unclear, but Laker wants somebody he can trust to go there and see for themselves.

Since Daitetsu was level 35, we get a Hero's Mark, a pretty spiffy item that gives significant boosts to a unit's stats. On Kyosuke's next mission, Lefina will earn him the same item.

Also, it's been a while since we had an intermission skit, and now I have a stockpile that I've been sitting on because the characters hadn't appeared yet. Let's dig into that a bit.

quote:

"...Hey, Masaki. Can we talk a minute?"
"W-what? What's the matter?"

"How much longer are the two of us going to wait?"
"Huh? W-wait... for what?"

"Well, y'know, Kyosuke and Excellen already did, so we really should..."
"...Should what?"

"Think up a combination attack!"
"A combination attack?"

"Yeah! We can do Cross Smasher and Akashic Buster together! We'll call it 'Akashic Smasher!'"
"Hmm. Yeah, that could work."

"God. All that build-up, just for that?"

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Given that every single enemy force we've faced (not counting the individuals just trying to save their own skin by throwing in with the baddies) has been going 'we need you to be stronger', one has to wonder why. What quality do humans have that they believe can only be brought forth by forcing us to fight for our survival again and again and again? And is it really a good thing if that quality is brought out? :ohdear:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It took YEARS for Masaki and Ryune to actually get a combination attack; lord knows why, especially considering they were making jokes about it for so long.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's the only way the universe can survive fighting the BYDO.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FredMSloniker posted:

Given that every single enemy force we've faced (not counting the individuals just trying to save their own skin by throwing in with the baddies) has been going 'we need you to be stronger', one has to wonder why. What quality do humans have that they believe can only be brought forth by forcing us to fight for our survival again and again and again? And is it really a good thing if that quality is brought out? :ohdear:

It's all an intergalactic game of Pokemon. They are trying to rig the RNG to have the best stats possible before catching humans so they can beat the elite space four.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hellioning posted:

It took YEARS for Masaki and Ryune to actually get a combination attack; lord knows why, especially considering they were making jokes about it for so long.
And when they finally did....it was just a simple and boring sword slash attack from both. Well, it was boring mostly because the Lord of the Elemental remakes had some crappy and horribly stiff unit animations, making attacks look bad in turn. But, it was not Akashic Smasher, and that's the biggest letdown. :smith:

Anyhew, the R-Gun Rivale. gently caress that noise. Admittedly, he's much easier in OGs thanks to stuff like Twin Commands (as we saw with Ryoto's lovely Twin Command of Soul :allears:), but still, he's a very difficult boss to fight. Stuff like Armor Breakers and EN Drains make this fight much, much less aggravating. Even if the Rivale is a half-assed stand-in for a much more nastier unit from Alpha 1 (the Astranagant), they definitely did not cut back on how tough it is.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AradoBalanga posted:

Even if the Rivale is a half-assed stand-in for a much more nastier unit from Alpha 1 (the Astranagant), they definitely did not cut back on how tough it is.

What they did do is gently caress up Ingram's naming scheme. Instead of the name of a firearm, they just sort of halfassed a motorcycle name. It's especially a letdown since the Astranagant was a doublegun. :v:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm pretty sure TK Burst Slash and Shishioh Blade both automatically pierce barriers in OGS (you can check on the weapon screen), so technically you might not have needed Fury there. I hope you remembered Bless and Cheer too!

They really made a lot more attacks pierce barriers in OGS, so you don't need to do the constant EN Drain like in the GBA version (and the 'spam combo attacks and ONLY combo attacks' you had to do in OG2). It's really pretty convenient.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Seyser Koze posted:

He tries to say that there's been a misunderstanding, and she gives a smart response that my brain hurts too much to translate so I'll put the Atlus version instead. (Tasuku: "No, you got it all wrong!" Leona: "Did I get it partially correct?") He's impressed at the quick response, she blushes and says that flattery won't get him anywhere, and Rio thinks Tasuku's odds may be all right after all.

Sadly, it's not smart at all, it's more Japanese wordplay. ;_; She says that it's neither a misunderstanding ("gokai"/誤解) nor the sixth floor ("rokkai"/六階) and he compliments her on the pun, saying that it's old-fashioned but funny, as you would expect out of the scion of a noble house.

Basically, when you don't know what's going on, assume someone made a groan-inducing pun and you'll be right most of the time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You know on the whole I do kind of miss some of the Ryusei/Kusuha stuff that was cut, if only because it made Ryusei seem hella mature and fed the implication that it's not that he didn't know how she felt, he just... well he treated her basically like a stock standard childhood friend anime girlfriend. "Oh yeah I can keep her at arms length and everything will work out." And when of course it didn't instead of being a child about it he realized that Kusuha was happy with Bullet, where as Ryusei only made her upset. I dunno it was nice for what it was and showed him as much more mature than he used to be. It also fed to the implications that he intended to take down Ingram in a Double K.O. Because one of the overall themes of Ryusei's arc is duty and death.

His father was a police officer who died in the line of duty and left Ryusei alone with his mother, Ryusei gave up any future for himself because he fully intended to look after his mother and work some dead end job to provide for her, Him coming to understand the difference between a game and real life when it comes to battle is basically his key focus in the DC arc, and Kusuha originally was the person he was determined to protect and keep safe regardless of how she felt.

I like Ryusei because he grew up, because for every time he made a Female Robot hubba hubba joke, there was a moment where he dropped the silly exterior and showed himself way more mature than he usually acted. I always got the impression that he's like that old cliche "If no one really cares about me I wont leave anyone behind when I die." Which remains the dumbest cliche in the world, but it fits, he acts like a goof and purposefully plays dumb to Kusuha in the original and Latooni, as well as another character we have yet to meet. But when the poo poo was serious he'd usually show a more mature side and then go right back to pretending he's a goof who doesn't notice anything.

Or I could be reading way too much into my robot punching game and he's just a geek who wants to gently caress the Valsione.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sometimes, there's LPs where you wonder if the mod is actually skilled, or just running off a walkthrough and bluffing their competence.

And then there's threads like this one, where Seyzer Koze just sent an end-game boss from 100% HP to 0% in a single turn, and from 40% to 0% in a single (giant gang-up) attack.

Onmi posted:

Or I could be reading way too much into my robot punching game and he's just a geek who wants to gently caress the Valsione.
Why not both?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
This is when you should link Variable Formation. The proper one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5IBlMjYpXQ

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I got my first game over in this stage thanks to Ingram's HP regeneration. I blew my SP on getting double XP and cash from the wall of Zechariahs and Habbakuks because no way there'd be a third wave of reinforcements, right? Well, there is, and it has like four times the HP of what other boss units have on top of having its stats jacked up and it regenerates 16k per turn! He's a lot tougher in the GBA games because those don't have the advantages of the twin system. In fact, he's the first SRW Boss with over 100k HP period, not just in the OG games, so that must have been a shocker to everyone who played it back then.

I hated Ingram for giving me my first loss at that point, but by the time I made him retreat during my second take of the stage I already liked his BGM too much and went back to liking him. The Arrow of Destiny is good but Messenger From the Void is glorious.

Onmi posted:

I always thought the same. Ryusei's few moments where he acts like he is not an oblivious ubergeek gave another dimension to the character, and there's less of those to go around now. OG characterization is all over the place so I'm not sure if taking those scenes out was a good or bad thing in the end.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 20, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Sometimes, there's LPs where you wonder if the mod is actually skilled, or just running off a walkthrough and bluffing their competence.

And then there's threads like this one, where Seyzer Koze just sent an end-game boss from 100% HP to 0% in a single turn, and from 40% to 0% in a single (giant gang-up) attack.

I'm pretty sure he's not bluffing his competence. If he were, he'd bluff better. :v: (Note how many times he's been 'and then I forgot to equip the part/forgot to put the right pilot in the robot/forgot to upgrade it/thought I needed to be in one place but actually needed to be in a completely different place'.)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I wasn't actually going to bother taking Ingram out this time, since futzing with the Twin system tests the extremely limited limits of my attention span. Then MarsDragon brought it up and it was officially a challenge between men.

Maybe I'll do it again on the next mission for an encore.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ingram's R-Gun Rivale in the original OG is the biggest loving dick move I swear to god. The game expects you to beat him to get that sweet, sweet skill point, which is stupidly hard, all the while he mocks you and you can't even say "but I'm kicking your rear end" like you would to most villains because you're likely not. Even if you are, good loving luck taking out his HP before he runs away.

OGs makes it quite a bit easier. The Twin system allows you to deal far more damage in one round than before, so using the right Twins can make it less of an issue (though it's still very much an issue), to the point that I'd say a mission in the future is quite a bit harder for entirely different reasons. But all in its due time. For now, good job, Seyser Koze.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Seyser Koze posted:

I wasn't actually going to bother taking Ingram out this time, since futzing with the Twin system tests the extremely limited limits of my attention span. Then MarsDragon brought it up and it was officially a challenge between men.

Maybe I'll do it again on the next mission for an encore.

Yeah, the real credit for that method belongs to a guy on /m/. I forgot to do it on my way through, but I figured the thread should see it. Especially since it's probably just not possible on the GBA without the Twin system to let you Soul the TK Burst Slash long before you're supposed to.

I really like futzing with the Twin system, though. Most of the time it just comes down to 'pair up people with similar icons for big bonus', but you can do some really cool stuff with twin spirits. (I really, really should use stuff like Confusion and Prediction more often in OG2) You can basically completely fix some of the weaker pilots just by twinning them up with someone good and using Alignment, or use Training on boss kills for double PP. Pretty handy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh. Wasn't expecting to get Kusuha back this soon in this route. I thought it'd be something like you only get to keep either Kusuha or Excellen depending on the route you take, though I guess that maybe Excellen won't be gone too long as well.

Also, have I just not being paying too much attention (a likely possibility) or was Gilliam's talk with Ingram a pretty big deal? Him being a "walker between worlds" and sharing a destiny with Ingram or something, sounds really important and I think this is the first real hint of something that big being up with him.

Oh and,

Seyser Koze posted:

Kusuha: "Bullet..."
Ryusei: "Kusuha!?"
Bullet: "I knew it, Ingram..."
Kusuha: "Are you planning to rescue me...?"
Bullet: "...!?"

Bullet: "K-Kusuha!"
Excellen: (Wow, talk about dirty tricks... he's pushing all the right buttons.)

What the Hell is with this scene? :psyduck:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh and,

What the Hell is with this scene? :psyduck:

Ingram instructed Kushua to say whatever needed to be said to drive Bullet into a psychotic rage, by the looks of it. For some reason, his particular blend of 'I need you stronger' is 'I will be the most assholish rear end in a top hat who ever assholed until you're ready to rip off my head and spit down my neck'.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Ingram instructed Kushua to say whatever needed to be said to drive Bullet into a psychotic rage, by the looks of it. For some reason, his particular blend of 'I need you stronger' is 'I will be the most assholish rear end in a top hat who ever assholed until you're ready to rip off my head and spit down my neck'.

No. I get that. It's just

Seyser Koze posted:

Why, these lines? The scene didn't need that and it just makes the whole thing distasteful.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, have I just not being paying too much attention (a likely possibility) or was Gilliam's talk with Ingram a pretty big deal? Him being a "walker between worlds" and sharing a destiny with Ingram or something, sounds really important and I think this is the first real hint of something that big being up with him.

It's one of those things that'll get explained in later games.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why, these lines? The scene didn't need that and it just makes the whole thing distasteful.

Unfortunately, the only proper response to "why" I can give is ":japan:". In fact, part of me wonders if making it distasteful like that isn't a meta-ploy to get the player to hate Ingram further, too, since he's obviously the one who coached her to say that poo poo.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I think the icon you want there is :nerds:, because it's not like American comics or whatever wouldn't do that.

But, you know, goons and anime.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I thought American comics just killed off all the romantic interests, not brainwashed them. :v:

I'll concede the point if it's something that isn't exclusive to Japanese media, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
So, I guess the game version of rescuing Kusuha is a little less....anime then the manga one:

• Locked thread