Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

It's one of those things that'll get explained in later games.

To be clear though:

It is something fans are expected to recognize. It's a reference to previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ashram posted:

So, I guess the game version of rescuing Kusuha is a little less....anime then the manga one:

Ah, romance the Krogan way. Declaring your love alongside headbutts and massive weaponry.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
MY LOVE FOR YOU IS LIKE A HUCK(ebein)
BER-SER-KER

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's at least a little obvious that the reason the Aerogaters want humanity to be stronger is so they can get a bunch of Natural Intelligences for their robot swarm.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I like how that manga page makes it look like Kusuha was saved by awkwardness.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

I like how that manga page makes it look like Kusuha was saved by awkwardness.
Well, yeah. That's Bullet's lone defining character trait.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh and,

What the Hell is with this scene? :psyduck:
If it isn't obvious by now, Ingram's not exactly working for the Balmarians by choice.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Kusuha was instructed to say things that would either break Bullet, or would drive him into an absolute rage. Psychodriver powers grow with emotions, and Ingram isn't just trying to make them better pilots, he's specifically trying to make the games Psychodrivers evolve further and further. It's why he referred to Aya as a battery for the combat weapon Ryusei Date, he's preying upon their emotions, and his mind-control of Kusuha (linked exclusively through her T-Link system to cause no lasting damage) was set up to drive Bullet into a pure rage.

Ingrams got his reasons, and they aren't that different with what the Balmarians are aiming for. But it's like throwing the SRX and ATX teams at each other in live combat. Necessary? No. But it sure as gently caress made them grow, it gave Ryusei a new rival in Kyosuke (This isn't just speculation, Ryusei now has a Rivalry bonus with Kyosuke so keeping them close makes them both fight better) It gave Bullet a new way to get stronger. And in the original it threw an emotional gear into Ryusei's life by essentially 'threatening' to 'take' Kusuha away from him.

So yes it's rather scummy and disturbing to be said, but that's why it pissed Bullet off, this isn't the only time Ingram's going to pull this nonsense, though the last on this route.

I am only annoyed that OG1 felt the need to make it Kusuha and not Bullet who was kidnapped, though if we're being honest, this was BEFORE Alpha 2 came along and established that Bullet is Kusuha's bitch and she has to save him from the mind-control capture he's always finding himself in. Before this game, while you could say "Bullet and Kusuha are clearly meant to represent Alpha 1's protagonists." They hadn't yet decided who was the Dragon and who was the Tiger.

That'll make more sense in time, trust me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So Kusuha will get more stuff to do in 0G2? That's appreciated.

But yeah, I got what Ingram was trying to do with getting Kusuha to say those things but they were kind of messed up, a little out of left field, and incredibly distasteful that only served to make the scene worse in the end. It would have been better if it just went incredibly generic with something like "you can't save me because you are weak and will never be strong" rather than "You can't save me because I belong to Ingram, but if you beat him then i'll belong to you since I have no agency of my own because mind control". It just damages the scene, and Kusuha's character, even if she was only mind-controlled into saying it.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 22, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

Before this game, while you could say "Bullet and Kusuha are clearly meant to represent Alpha 1's protagonists." They hadn't yet decided who was the Dragon and who was the Tiger.

They already had the Alpha 2 protagonists in mind though and two boys/two girls meant there was no way Bullet was getting the role.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So Kusuha will get more stuff to do in 0G2? That's appreciated.

I uh, I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 22, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

They already had the Alpha 2 protagonists in mind though and two boys/two girls meant there was no way Bullet was getting the role.

I uh, I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

I'm not sure why you're saying that, besides OG2 being dumb about join times (and having the worst loving mid-game of any SRW I believe) when Kusuha joins she joins for good.

Granted I rarely get to use her because I always go down the routes she's not on, but there's never a moment like this where she's plucked from the group.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 34, Kyosuke Route

We start off with the scene of Radha and Gilliam going through Ingram's files about Aya's sister Mai.

The pilots discuss what was already figured out last update on Ryusei's route: namely, that the Aerogaters have a special interest in their two ships and their pilots. Wherever they go, the Aerogaters appear, while ever since the destruction of Geneva there have been no large-scale attacks on military targets. Ryoto has his suspicions that they're not being attacked so much as cultivated. Hearing this, Masaki has a thought...

...Which appears to be the same thought they had on Ryusei 33. Given the Aerogaters' interest in Kusuha, and then in Excellen, Masaki thinks that if he goes out by himself, he can lure them into an attack. Ingram showed an interest in Cybuster, after all - and if they're really lucky, they may send Excellen out to attack him the same way they did Kusuha.

Sean agrees with the basic idea, but sees a bit of a flaw in sending Masaki out on his own. What if he never finds his way back again? :laugh: The XO already has a solution in mind, though, and suggests sending Lune and the Valsione out as well.

Aboard Neviim, Atad is in the process of needling Ingram over his "samples." After all, if SRX is defective, that doesn't leave many others - except for Cybuster, of course. Ingram says that he'll "harvest" Cybuster at the appropriate time; Atad doubts he has the skill, considering that he's already let Kusuha slip through his fingers so easily. Almost as though he let the Earthlings know how to take her back...

Ingram is silent at this, and Atad laughs. It was just an idle jest on her part; there's no need to be overly concerned by the loss of one mindless puppet. She lets the suspicions about Ingram hang in the air, however. She doesn't trust him, or Viletta for that matter: once a traitor, always a traitor. Again Ingram is silent, and she says that if it bothers him so much, he may as well do something to prove where his loyalties lie.

Ingram agrees, but only if he can bring Galuin on his sortie - a surprise to Atad, given that Galuin is one of her puppets. Ingram intends to confirm the regrowth of the Zfylud Crystals... and to lure out those lurking beneath the sea.

Lurking beneath the sea? :cthulhu:

Oh.

The Last Battalion has picked up Cybuster and the Valsione's departure, heading towards the Marshall Islands. Sanger immediately wants to know if they're just going to let them pass overhead and on their way unaided.

Marion: "You sound worried."
Sanger: "Doctor Radom?! What are you doing here?"
Elzam: "Are you feeling well enough for this?"
Marion: "Well enough. He might be accustomed to old age, but I intend to make use of my time."
Rishu: "...Hmph. Your barbed tongue is hardly conducive to recovery."

Sanger sputters a bit at the double-shock of meeting Marion and Rishu both, and demands an explanation from Elzam once he regains some composure. Dr. Radom and Rishu were both injured during their escape from Langley; Elzam took them into custody and saw to their recovery. Sanger glowers, but Elzam says that this is exactly what they needed - the recovery of their lost battle strength.

At length Sanger asks why he wasn't told, and Elzam replies that he had enough to worry about at the time - they each had their responsibilities to carry out. Rishu urges him to trust in Elzam's insight; after a moment, Sanger decides just to be content that his friends are alive and well after all.

Rishu: "House Togo is a stubborn breed. We don't die easily. You may not believe it, but in China, my ancestor Ryoma Togo---"
Marion: "We don't have time to listen to an old man's ramblings. Cybuster is more important. Are you planning to support them?"
Elzam: "Yes, we're expecting enemies to take notice. The Kurogane will track their position."

Mission 34: Specter of the Past

Kai is leading an inspection of the base at Wake Island, but it's a near-total loss, without even a single armored module left behind. Not entirely surprising, considering that the Hagane had to assault it during the DC war. He orders everyone to move on to the next base; when Operation SRW commences, they'll need all the materiel they can scrounge.

A gravity pulse is detected. Kai sorties in his Gespenst to fight off the impending Aerogater attack.

It's Ingram in the R-GUN. He greets Kai, saying that it's been a while, but Kai has no interest in exchanging pleasantries with a traitor.

Then help arrives.

It looks like acting as bait has caught Masaki and Lune a real whopper this time. Ingram thinks this is fortuitous for him, but Masaki surprises him when he says that that's his line. They knew they could get somebody's attention by leaving the Hagane alone, and now they have a question: where the hell is Excellen?

Hearing what they'd planned, Ingram laughs - he'll have to revise his opinion of Masaki now. Still, this is all well and good; Cybuster and Valsione are a pair of valuable samples, and this is as good an opportunity as any to collect them. Masaki yells back that he shouldn't act so cocky when the hammer's about to fall, and battle begins.

Masaki: "Hey, old-timer! Get your boys out of there!"
Kai: "Old-timer? You'd better check yourself, I'm still in my thirties."
Lune: "...Sounds pretty old to me."
Kai: "Heh... you're a couple of mouthy little punks, aren't you? But don't write me off so easily; I'll back you up. Transports, withdraw!"

As a thirtysomething myself, I find this far more deserving of the :japan: emote than any amount of antics involving beach scenes and frilly dresses.

Well, here we are. No sign of the battle mastery yet.

This is the map from back in Ryusei 11, where Masaki ended up joining us. We don't have quite as many people as back then, though. Thankfully, nor do the enemies.

Ingram's in his slightly weaker 35k-HP R-GUN this time around, but he flees at 70% health. With only three people you're probably not expected to finish him off. Also your SP is limited, and with only Ingram to fight against you'll have trouble building up your morale.

But hey, after the Rivale, this ought to be a cakewalk.

This time around I equipped Cybuster with the Nejiri Hachimaki (some kind of magical rising-sun headband thingy that you wear for the glory of mighty Nippon), an item that starts you off with +10 to your morale. Masaki earned his ace bonus a long time ago, so he starts off at 115.

He also gains +2 morale whenever he hits somebody, so we spend a few turns plinking away at Ingram with his weakest attack.

Masaki: "Answer us! Where the hell is Excellen!?"
Ingram: "...Can't you guess?"
Masaki: "Yeah, it seemed obvious enough... she's on the White Star. But now we've got it from your own mouth."
Ingram: "Hmph... if you want to rescue her, come to Neviim."
Masaki: "Oh, we'd be doing that anyway!"

If I use anything stronger than Caloric Missile, Ingram will retreat before Masaki has the morale he needs.

When the R-GUN's down around 25k, Masaki's up to around 130 morale, so I have him cast Spirit to boost up to 140. If he's going to cast Valor later he only has enough SP to cast it once, so trading shots with Ingram for a bit is necessary. We could also get around this by buying him SP Regen (so that he could cast Spirit as many times as necessary), buying the +1 morale-on-evade skill so that he can max out his morale just by dodging, or (if we really hated ourselves) by letting him get hit and repeatedly running back to the base to heal, since Ingram doesn't move.

Then he twins up with Lune and both of them cast Valor.

Shazam, bitch!

I don't think we get anything special for this, beyond the warm fuzzy feeling of kicking Ingram in the face.

Kai and Lune both had battle dialogue as well.

quote:

Lune: "Why'd you come down to the surface?"
Ingram: "I'm just monitoring the growth of my samples. Convenient, that you've come to me."
Lune: "Oh yeah? Then monitor this!"

quote:

Kai: "I've been wishing for a shot at you, even if it won't undo what you've done."
Ingram: "I don't need your data... for now."

Ingram is surprised that the R-GUN was beaten (again), but then again, that's why he selected these samples. Still, he's not going to just leave before he's accomplished his primary objective...

Masaki yells for Ingram to get his rear end back here, but Lune warns him of more contacts - a squad of mass-produced Gespensts without IFF codes. Kai doesn't know what to make of this, as there's no record that the base had any Gespensts stored there, but he warns Masaki and Lune to be careful.

On the next turn, unexpected help arrives: the Kurogane, with Sanger in the Type-0. Seeing the Gespensts, Elzam says that he hadn't expected the enemy to play this card so soon. But he doesn't explain further, and he and Sanger are more interested in fighting until the Hiryu and Hagane arrive than in talking.

Kai: "Wait a minute, you two! What about an explanation?!"
Sanger: "For now, focus on crushing the enemy!"
Kai: :sigh: "You never change..."

In any case, the newcomers will provide support until our carriers can get here, at which point maybe Gilliam will be able to figure out what's up with these Gespensts.

Masaki: "Hey Gramps, what do we do about them?"
Kai: "They'll back you up, just wipe out those Gespensts!"
Masaki: "Heh... you made up your mind quick."
Kai: "That's how we roll in the Aggressors. Now get to it!"

And at long last, we get to use Sanger again. You know what he can do already. Elzam's backing him up, though the Kurogane is mostly providing long-range fire support on this mission.

The enemy Gespies are pretty beefy, with 8000 health apiece. They're also able to wear Sanger down at a decent pace, even after he's cast Guard. Yes, this is 25% of the damage they'd normally be doing.

Sanger and Elzam have a couple comments as they fight the grunt Gespies. Sanger says that there shouldn't be this many units here, which means the Aerogaters may be building them. Elzam confirms that they're unmanned, but their maneuvers show a certain - and familiar - degree of skill.

In another turn the Hagane arrives, with its crew surprised to find Elzam and the Kurogane here. Elzam wastes no time in proposing a joint attack on the enemy; Daitetsu agrees at once, with Tetsuya reluctantly going along with him a minute later.

Gilliam comments that it's an odd coincidence that all the original Aggressors should happen to be here, and now. This strikes Kyosuke as strange, but there's no time to ponder it, as another gravity pulse has been detected.

:geno:

Gilliam: "That mech..."
Sanger: "It can't be...!?"

Galuin: "TARGET... ACQUIRED..."

The new wave of enemies is led by the PTX-002, the Gespenst Type S; one of the first in the original Mark I series to be developed. That raises the question of why the Aerogaters would be using it, and the Aggressors provide some details. The Type S had been piloted by Colonel Kar-Wai Lau, but pilot and mech went MIA during an exercise years ago. As for what - and who - we're facing now, the Aggressors will have to determine that.

With Galuin's arrival the mastery is revealed: take him out without letting him retreat (at 40%).

The Gespenst S is basically the Super counterpart to the Gespenst R that Gilliam's using these days. It has a G-Wall, which absorbs the first couple thousand incoming damage, as well as 10% energy and health regen. Then again, after the R-GUN Rivale (remember, this is Kyosuke's route and we haven't met it yet) a mere 46k health looks positively puny.

First order of business: Daitetsu blows away the two nearby Gespenst squads and gains a bunch of levels, ending up one level shy of where he needs to be for a secret in a couple missions.

Everybody else fans out to engage either the remaining Gespies or the Mishleis that Galuin brought with him. There aren't actually that many enemies on this map, so we need to make a conscious effort not to have a couple of units hog the kills (and the morale).

It only takes a turn or two to wipe out the drones. While we do, Galuin takes an interest in Tasuku, who was taking point.

Considering how heavily the Giganscudo is upgraded on Kyosuke's route, doing that much damage from a dinky-looking Gespenst while Tasuku is defending is a bit worrying.

Rai ends up being the one to draw first blood, saturating the area with Hi-ZOL Launcher fire as he takes out a neighboring drone.

Galuin: "FU... TILE..."

Rio is stunned that the first attack had so little effect, according to Radha, the Type-S shouldn't be that heavily-armored. Latooni has been observing and confirms that most of the mech's components are of Aerogater origin; it looks like a Gespenst, but it's actually something else entirely.

Anyway, we need to take Galuin down for real. Kyosuke leads off.

Kyosuke: "The 002, Type S... I suppose that makes you the Alt's big brother."
Galuin: :geno:

Not a bad start.

Tasuku joins in the fun with a support.

Ryusei can dodge well enough that I don't need to worry about him.

Around 8000-ish left until the cutoff...

...but surely some other people on the field would like a shot at Galuin before the end. Let's try Gilliam.

Gilliam: "It's an exquisite reproduction... right down to the pilot."
Gilliam: (But... if that's really him...!)

I love Neutron Beam for its historical value, but it's a pretty meh attack without upgrades.

Elzam steps up to the plate and introduces us to a fun detail regarding his very special music.

It overrides any and all boss music, which is normally supposed to get priority over that of your pilots. The story is that in his original appearance in OG1, an accidental oversight led to Trombe! still being flagged as boss music even after Elzam stopped being an enemy, with the end result that his music overrode everything else when he finally joined. The developers loved this so much that they did the same thing deliberately in all of Elzam's subsequent appearances in the Alpha timeline, OG2, and then in OGs and beyond.

Elzam: "Most would consider attacking a battleship the height of foolishness."
Elzam: "I didn't want to believe it... but the truth is right here before me!"

"We must make sacrifices for the greater good. That is our fate..."

This looks about right.

Let's bring Sanger up for the finish. Of course we're right back to The Arrow of Destiny now.

Sanger: "This bearing..."
Sanger: "There can be no doubt... it's him!"

And by "Sanger" I meant "Sanger and Kyosuke." Ryusei and Tasuku were waiting in the wings, but it wasn't necessary.

Galuin: "GES... PENST..."

:toot:

Gilliam thinks that that was no AI piloting the Type-S. But if it really was Colonel Lau, then he would have to be sent for a reason. The hints Ingram keeps dropping are getting more and more blatant.

A couple other characters had dialogue versus Galuin:

quote:

Masaki: "So this is what he was planning!"
Masaki: "drat it, Ingram... you're not getting away with this!"

Latooni: "I wasn't mistaken... it's the same as the motion data. But..."

Poor Kai didn't get a single combat encounter this mission.

Kai: "...! So it's true... how many times have I seen this motion data?"
Kai: "When I heard from Elzam and Gilliam, I didn't want to believe it... but it's right in front of me!"

The captains of the three ships convene, and we get essentially the same scene from the beginning of Ryusei 34 in which they decide that a) the Aerogaters want the Federation to attack the White Star, and b) to avoid disrupting the preparations, the Hagane and Hiryu Kai will be on full-time decoy duty until Operation SRW. As for where to do this most effectively, Elzam thinks it's simple enough; go to outer space, where the Aerogaters can reach them most easily.

Elzam and Kai get the chance to exchange some greetings. Kai notes that Elzam's fitting well into his role as a tactician and ship's commander - no doubt his father's influence. Elzam says he'd much rather be piloting, a sentiment with which Kai agrees, but says that he'd rather not trouble his brother again so soon. It comes out that for his part, Kai will be joining the Hagane's pilot roster. :hellyeah: After all, somebody has to keep these greenhorns in line.

Gilliam joins in and conversation turns to what they've all been thinking about : the Gespenst they just fought. He's hesitant to say for certain, but Radha and Latooni calculcated a 96.4% likelihood that it's as they feared. Between the motion data and the subtle tells that a computer can't replicate, it appears that Colonel Lau has been taken by the Aerogaters and turned against them, just as we've seen them do to Kusuha and Excellen. Gilliam has already handed the information over to Dr. Radom for her analysis, but for the time being he deems it best if they keep their suspicions to themselves.

Kai: "Ironic. Attacked by a Gespenst... and an enemy pilot who might be the Colonel..."
Elzam: "A black specter is haunting us."
Kai: "And this ship's young strike leader pilots the ghost's descendant. Funny, that."
Gilliam: "Nothing to be done. That's the fate of the Gespenst - and of ourselves, as well."

Sanger goes to see Kyosuke in the hangar. He didn't really expect that they'd be speaking again, like this. Kyosuke hadn't either, but Bullet's relief was self-evident, to say nothing of learning that Marion and Master Rishu are also alive and well.

Sanger: "Still... I've betrayed you once before. I'd prepared myself for scorn and ridicule, and instead I'm called to return to the Hiryu..."
Kyosuke: "Sorry about this, Sir."
Sanger: "Mngh?"

*punch*

Kyosuke: "The last thing the ATX team wants right now is some coward trapped in the past, making excuses about why he can't help. What we need, Major Zonvolt... is a sword to smite evil."

Sanger: "Heh. That wasn't a bad punch. Very well... I'm at your disposal. Until the ATX team is made whole again."
Kyosuke: "Until... Excellen comes back."

(As I hoped, you've become stronger. But strength carries its own risks, Kyosuke... Don't let your worries about Excellen make you hasty.)

Too lazy to do an intermission skit today. Next time: :frogout:

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 26, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seyser Koze posted:

Gilliam comments that it's an odd coincidence that all the original Aggressors should happen to be here, and now.

Proof that no one gives a gently caress about Tempest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Seyser Koze posted:

Elzam steps up to the plate and introduces us to a fun detail regarding his very special music.

It overrides any and all boss music, which is normally supposed to get priority over that of your pilots. The story is that in his original appearance in OG1, an accidental oversight led to Trombe! still being flagged as boss music even after Elzam stopped being an enemy, with the end result that his music overrode everything else when he finally joined. The developers loved this so much that they did the same thing deliberately in all of Elzam's subsequent appearances in the Alpha timeline, OG2, and then in OGs and beyond.

One time it got beat, by a guy in a battleship with a massive sound system literally blasting out "The Beautiful Blue Danube" over its speakers so hard nothing could override it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Proof that no one gives a gently caress about Tempest.
What's even sillier is just how fast Tempest gets forgotten in the game. He died roughly 10 missions ago for both routes, and already his former teammates are like "Tempest who?".

Then again, literally everyone else on the team has either a really memorable trait, useful pilot skills or a likeable personality that help to keep them entertaining.

AtomikKrab posted:

One time it got beat, by a guy in a battleship with a massive sound system literally blasting out "The Beautiful Blue Danube" over its speakers so hard nothing could override it.
And then OG Gaiden's Free Battle Viewer has the option to force BGMs on battles, meaning the players themselves can override "Trombe!", if they wish.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AradoBalanga posted:

And then OG Gaiden's Free Battle Viewer has the option to force BGMs on battles, meaning the players themselves can override "Trombe!", if they wish.

Yeah, if you have no soul. :colbert:

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
I'm still a fan of the Youtube video of the first OG anime's OP getting Trombe!'d.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

AtomikKrab posted:

And in GBA OG1, since it was a bug, it only overrode other bosses if Elzam was attacking. Elzam getting attacked would have his theme overridden. When it went from bug to feature they fixed that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AradoBalanga posted:

What's even sillier is just how fast Tempest gets forgotten in the game. He died roughly 10 missions ago for both routes, and already his former teammates are like "Tempest who?".

Admit it, you forgot him until Seyzer Koze brought him up.

I know I did.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Elzam/future thing can't actually be set to any other theme besides Trombe! in 2nd OGs. Dunno if it's the same case here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Admit it, you forgot him until Seyzer Koze brought him up.

I know I did.

There was another Aggressor?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

There was another Aggressor?
Yes, an unofficial one.

We don't meet him until OG Gaiden, though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I want to imagine Gaulin was always this boring and monotone, and literally the only difference is his crazy outfit :allears:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Galuin was more memorable than Tempest.

That's something. :v:

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
I get the feeling Tempest was never a real Aggressor, they just let him in because he was bugging them constantly.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Wounded Land posted:

I get the feeling Tempest was never a real Aggressor, they just let him in because he was bugging them constantly.

I have a feeling that Tempest was one of those guys who only ever wanted to talk about his wife and daughter, so they ignored him and kept playing with robots.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

I have a feeling that Tempest was one of those guys who only ever wanted to talk about his wife and daughter, so they ignored him and kept playing with robots.

Yeah, those people with their social lives and happy families are the worst.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ashram posted:

Yeah, those people with their social lives and happy families are the worst.

has anyone told you recently that you are the cause of all the world's disease

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Coolguye posted:

has anyone told you recently that you are the cause of all the world's disease

Thanks, i guess?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So pretty much all our combat data is now being turned against us?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Makes sense though. Sort of a recursive justification for why every 'army' in these sorts of stories are a bunch of maladjusted reprobates. What possible strength do they have as a fighting force? Well they're wildly unpredictable! Why do they need to be unpredictable, couldn't they win through better discipline or skill? No, the enemy has the COMBAT DATA. They can predict everything a REGULAR soldier would do!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CmdrKing posted:

Makes sense though. Sort of a recursive justification for why every 'army' in these sorts of stories are a bunch of maladjusted reprobates. What possible strength do they have as a fighting force? Well they're wildly unpredictable! Why do they need to be unpredictable, couldn't they win through better discipline or skill? No, the enemy has the COMBAT DATA. They can predict everything a REGULAR soldier would do!
It makes sense if they're grooming super soldiers, but don't really know what the foe they're prepping for is capable of. They need COMBAT DATA from people who can react to anything.

Edit It's also kind of surprising how little I remember of this series' plot. Like, I remember a bit here and there, like Sanger's character arc and what's up with Excellen in OG2, but basically none of the actual plot.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 30, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's not so much "combat" data as it is Motion Data

You see, in the OG-verse controlling a giant robot is hideously complex. As such, for the majority of the time the pilot simply executes preprogrammed actions. So when the pilot wants to fire a gun, the robot automatically does it's "Draw Gun and Fire" motion.

Of course, manual control can still be done, but it's much more difficult.

Now, what makes the Agressors so amazing is that they started piloting mechs before this Motion Data was created. And, in fact, they're the ones who made said data.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay that actually kind of makes sense.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, imagine it like piloting a PT is like playing Virtual On, except the Aggressors were playing Toribash. The Valsion-series robots use a motion tracing system called DML (Direct Motion Link) which gets around this by copying what the pilot does, and the Grungust was literally a mad scientist's birthday present to his 18-year-old son.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

This is, coincidentally, the reason why Ingram's betrayal was such a big deal, besides emotionally. Not only was he an accomplished pilot in his own right, he also had a hand in the programming of the R-Series' movement protocols. He knows one of their biggest weapons inside and out, and it destroys a lot of the impact the SRX Team could have had.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Broken Loose posted:

Grungust was literally a mad scientist's birthday present to his 18-year-old son.

Hah.
The start to almost every early mecha series.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dr Pepper posted:

It's not so much "combat" data as it is Motion Data

You see, in the OG-verse controlling a giant robot is hideously complex. As such, for the majority of the time the pilot simply executes preprogrammed actions. So when the pilot wants to fire a gun, the robot automatically does it's "Draw Gun and Fire" motion.

Of course, manual control can still be done, but it's much more difficult.

Now, what makes the Agressors so amazing is that they started piloting mechs before this Motion Data was created. And, in fact, they're the ones who made said data.

Which will lead to something interesting later. :getin:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Dr Pepper posted:

It's why Ryusei being able to do much of anything his first time out is actually such a Big Deal (same for Tenzan), really. To borrow a phrase from Shadowrun, it's like "a guy who's only ever seen a bike, hopping on a combat motorcycle and doing death-defying stunts his first time out." It's probably also why Aya made such a big deal so early on, about Ryusei studying properly and knowing his controls and movements; the system doesn't take kindly to slackers who didn't bother to read up on it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SorataYuy posted:

It's why Ryusei being able to do much of anything his first time out is actually such a Big Deal (same for Tenzan), really. To borrow a phrase from Shadowrun, it's like "a guy who's only ever seen a bike, hopping on a combat motorcycle and doing death-defying stunts his first time out." It's probably also why Aya made such a big deal so early on, about Ryusei studying properly and knowing his controls and movements; the system doesn't take kindly to slackers who didn't bother to read up on it...

Well the control system he started with was simplifed to resemble a burning PT console, but yes even his first time out in a proper TT in mission 2 he was suspiciously good at it. But yeah, there is a moment later where a certain character has to take over direct control of how the machine functions. And he makes it move in a way you wouldn't believe possible, with much more complex controls.

• Locked thread