Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The best part of that skit is how smug Shiro looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I always loved that moment. It'd be easy to get lost in the moment of "All or nothing" but Tetsuya goes "Nah let's have our tronium buster cake and have everyone survive it too" and it's such an honestly cool moment where even cast in Daitetsu's immense shadow he gets to shine.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route, Mission 39

I suppose I don't really need to include these screens showing where the scene takes place any longer.

Levi receives the news of Atad's death with mild interest. Still, they hold the advantage in the battle. Meanwhile, the Earthlings are regrouping their forces to press the attack on Neviim, and are currently engaging their fleet. She's impressed by their tenacity and drive. Ingram has chosen well; these few will be superb guardians for Neviim.

Levi: "I go to Judecca's core. I leave this in your hands, Ingram."
Ingram: "As you wish..."

The Federation fleet is being decimated, bad news made even worse a moment later by the Great Ark's final transmission before it is destroyed.

Making things worse, a fresh Aerogater fleet has just warped in. They're outnumbered, and Sean suggests they fall back to reorganize for Phase 3.

Lefina overrules him at once. There's no time; they have to proceed directly to Phase 4. Sean protests about the White Star's barrier, but she replies that if the Hiryu moves to the fore and diverts all energy to its own barrier, the interference between the two fields will cancel each other out - and then their ships will fire their main weapons at point-blank range.

It's a plan to put Sanger and Kyosuke to shame - but even if it costs them both vessels, it just may be enough to get their PTs inside the fortress.

Mission 39: Pinpoint Assault

The Federation fleet is retreating after the loss of its flagship, meaning it's just us against the enemy forces. For some reason this freaks a few people out.

Rio tells them not to give in to fear, to which Sanger adds that fear is the mind-killer opens the door to defeat.

Lefina: "All units! The Hagane and Hiryu Kai will open the way. You must assault the White Star!"
Kyosuke: "Assault... we're going to Phase 4?"
Lefina: "Yes. With a smaller force, we can break through the enemy's defensive line at a single point."

Tasuku: "Oh, man! I knew this day would come. The captain's turning into a gambler too..."
Excellen: "Do you see what you've done, Kyosuke?"
Kyosuke: "Yes, it's all my fault. Sorry, everyone."
Tasuku: "You're apologizing now!?"

Rai: "It's a last-ditch gambit. Shouldn't we be a little more serious?"
Elzam: "No, this will be fine. Too much tension lowers your effectiveness."
Garnet: "Keeping things light is the strike commander's duty, after all."
Kyosuke: "...?"
Excellen: "Okay people, leave him alone. He has no idea what you're talking about."

Irm comments that either way, they need to do as their superior orders, though Lefina just responds that she has absolute faith in them all. Kyosuke asks how they're going to get through the White Star's barrier, and Sean just tells him not to worry about that, and to focus on breaking through the enemy lines. This only makes them worry more...

Our objective this time around is to get both our battleships all the way to the White Star. No interim stops this time around. The mastery is to destroy everything in the process, which we're always happy to do.

The map's a bit more scrunched on Kyosuke's route. In the front we've got the usual line of Mishleis, Zechs, and Habakkuks, while on the White Star itself we have a few Ezekiels and two battleships.

Nothing out of the ordinary happens as we plow through the grunts. The enemies are much weaker than on Ryusei's route; Zechariahs only have 8300 HP instead of almost 10000, Habakkuks have 10000 instead of over 13000, and the Ezekiels have 14000 instead of 18000.

I spent a few bucks on the plasma stake for Kai's Gespenst this time. What a difference five bars of upgrades make.

By the end of Turn 2 the Zechariahs and Mishleis have been essentially wiped out (with the Habakkuks set to wipe themselves out with our counterattacks on the enemy phase), while Gilliam is close enough to the White Star to get the Ezekiels' attention.

He proceeds to lay waste to them with the Graviton Launcher.

By the end of Turn 3 we've finished off all the grunts.

The Hulehs are still parked on that delightful White Star terrain, but with only two of them, they're easily support-blobbed into oblivion.

Battle mastery get. :toot: Itstill takes a couple turns for the battleships to catch up, though.

Both ships have reached the destination, and as expected, the White Star's barrier is in full effect. Lefina is about to start their plan when a gravity quake is detected outside the field.

B... B... BARRELIONS!!! :argh:

It's Gaza, and he's got a surprise with him - a bunch of Divine Crusader mechs. Not Aerogater replicas, like the Gespensts we fought on Wake Island, but actual DC machines with registered DC IFF codes. All the codes had been canceled, and Elzam can explain why; they're human pilots who were declared MIA, who have since been incorporated into the Aerogaters' forces.

Immediately Kusuha wants to try and save them the same way we saved her, but Gilliam flatly tells her that it's not possible. In her case, she was being controlled by her unit's T-LINK System; all they had to do was knock it offline and she was free. These unfortunate souls, on the other hand, have been tampered with directly - like Colonel Lau, there may be no hope of their returning to humanity.

Excellen breaks in next, protesting that the same thing happened with her, even though the Weissritter doesn't have a T-LINK. Gilliam replies that in her case, she was merely under hypnosis. Moreover, it's pretty clear that Ingram intended for us to get her back.

At length Katina tells them both that wishful thinking won't change things; this is war, and they have no choice but to fight it. Kusuha hesitates, then gives in, while Ryusei snarls that Ingram thinks human lives are nothing.

Rai: "I suspected we'd find something like this, but to actually see it..."
Kyosuke: "Keep your emotions in check, people."
Excellen: "...Cold."
Kyosuke: "I'm saving my anger for later."

Gaza: "We meet again! I hate you guys so much... so I'm gonna settle that now! I'm gonna pop you like bubble wrap! Snap, crackle, pop!"
Ryusei: "Tenzan! Cut it out already!"
Gaza: "Tenzan? Who's that? I'm Gaza! Gaza Haganer!"
Ryusei: "You don't even know!? The Aerogaters captured you! You're being controlled!"
Gaza: "And what if they did? I'll just kill you first... then I'll worry about them!"
Ryusei: "W... what?"

Gaza: "Like I care what you have to say to me! If we knew each other before, whatever! These hands, these feet, and an enemy in front of me - that's all I need! Hyahahaha!!"
Ryusei: "drat it, you---"
Gaza: "C'mon, c'mon, you're killing the mood! You afraid you're gonna lose? I'm not! Fighting for your life is the greatest game there is!"

Ryusei: "...All right, Tenzan! We'll settle this here, once and for all!"

Kyosuke calls to Lefina for orders; she tells him to leave the energy field to the Hiryu and focus on the enemy. The battle continues.

And at this point, just taking out Gaza will end the mission.

In addition to the Ezekiel Adom, we've got a bunch of (twitch) Barrelions and Guarlions. Their health hasn't really increased since we finished fighting the DC remnants.

But looking at all these enemies...

Hmm.

Hmmmmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Crap. Reload.

Better.

drat IT KYOSUKE, STOP SUCCESSFULLY KILLING THINGS

Better.

Thirty minutes of saving, loading, and cursing later...

...We finally have the perfect Cyflash all lined up.

I don't know about you guys...

But I love it when a plan comes together.

It leaves us with a couple Barrelions who were outside of the killzone, and Gaza's Ezekiel.

But on Kyosuke's route, Gaza isn't actually on the White Star. Meaning no HP regen, no 30% damage reduction, and no 30% evade bonus.

Meaning you can take him apart in just a couple hits. I have no idea why I'm picturing Tasuku here when he did almost no damage. :iiam:

The Barrelions end up at low health, and at about this time I remember that the R-3 Powered actually has a MAP weapon of its own.

TK Missiles.

They, uh... they kinda suck. Even though I haven't upgraded it at all, I was expecting more damage than that. Ugh.

Anyway, I figure it's only appropriate that Ryusei go in for the kill.

Gaza: "Ugh... gah...!?"
Ryusei: "It's over, Tenzan!"

Gaza: "Kh...kh-kh-kh... th-th-that's right... ah, ahhhh..."
Ryusei: "!?"
Gaza: "T-t-tomorrow's-s-s... B-B-Burning PT... ch-championship..."

Gaza: "When I get h-h-home.... gotta s-s-set up my rig... g-gotta... beat everyone's rear end..."

Gaza: "Ev-ev-every... one... hya, hyahaha, heheheheehaahahaha! Hyahahahahaaa! Hyaaaahahahahahaaaaahaaaaa!!"

Gaza's second death was too much like his first, in the final battle with the Divine Crusaders. Rio tells Ryoto not to worry on Tenzan's account - his fate was his own fault. All we can do is settle accounts with the Aerogaters, who use humans like tools...

"Tenzan... the game's over. For real, this time!"

Eun: "Captain! The gravity cannon is fully charged!"
Tetsuya: "This is Tetsuya, the buster cannon can fire at any time."
Lefina: "Understood. All units, form up behind the ships!"
Kyosuke: "Roger!"
Lefina: "Lieutenant Kyosuke, you must proceed into the fortress after this. No matter what happens."
Kyosuke: "I knew it. Captain--"

Lefina: "Do you understand? You must destroy the fortress' core - so that we can go home. All of us."
Kyosuke: "Home, Captain?"
Excellen: "So don't die, I guess you're saying..."

The barrier starts to repel the ship, and Lefina orders the overboost used. At the last moment, Sean tells Eun to release the gravity brake before firing.

Lefina balks at this, as the loss of stability could prevent the ship from firing properly. Sean tells her not to worry; the Hiryu is a tough old vessel, as he knows all too well from the battle near Pluto.

The Hagane is in position and ready to fire as well. Eun commences the countdown...

OK, we're really, really, finally in the home stretch this time.

Next time: :psypop:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
YOU DIE IN THE GAME YOU DIE FOR REAL

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess it's not possible to knock people off terrain in this game?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

I don't think there's any forced movement abilities in SRW games, and if there are, they're not in this one.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

No, you have to lure them off, which means getting every single one of your units out of their attack range and waiting a turn. Since that usually means you can't attack anybody else in the vicinity that turn either, you're farther ahead just powering through the extra defense. Plus some enemies just don't move, ever.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Neo and its derivatives have weapons that knock enemies back and can do extra damage if they hit walls or fall off ledges, but none of the regular-style games have that.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I know the original Lord of Elemental game had a Tactics Ogre/FFT-style system where your facing on the grid made a strategic difference, so that may have as well. Maybe? I don't know. None of the games I've played, certainly.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Bahahaha. Taking out sixteen Barrelions with one Cyflash is hilarious. An appropriate response for all the trouble they gave you earlier.

I'm not too familiar with this game and its progression, but surely the Barrelion must be horribly obsolete by this point and not a credible threat at all?

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

David Corbett posted:

Bahahaha. Taking out sixteen Barrelions with one Cyflash is hilarious. An appropriate response for all the trouble they gave you earlier.

I'm not too familiar with this game and its progression, but surely the Barrelion must be horribly obsolete by this point and not a credible threat at all?

Units don't necessarily get obsoleted much. Units are only half of the Equation. Just shoving a better pilot in it makes the difference. Even then, with weak pilots they STILL have a pile of HP and defense compared to a lot of other units. I mean, just look at Kai, he's in a Gespenst and that was the first unit you got, and he performs just fine. Opponents ALSO can get upgrade bars.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Repster posted:

Units don't necessarily get obsoleted much. Units are only half of the Equation. Just shoving a better pilot in it makes the difference. Even then, with weak pilots they STILL have a pile of HP and defense compared to a lot of other units. I mean, just look at Kai, he's in a Gespenst and that was the first unit you got, and he performs just fine. Opponents ALSO can get upgrade bars.

Yeah, there are a number of factors involved. When we switched from fighting DCs to the DC remnants, all their pilots were replaced with DC Elites, resulting in an increase in difficulty even though their hardware hadn't changed. Habakkuks are tougher than Barrelions, but their damage isn't noticeably higher, so unless you can one-shot the Barrels they still have a chance to hurt you. The Barrels are still easier to kill, but certainly not helpless.

Enemy upgrades are a major factor too. Kyosuke is having a much easier time of things than Ryusei, because even though they're fighting the same Aerogater machines, the ones Kyosuke fights are just weaker on all fronts.

Really the best example of this will come in the game's very last mission (almost there), where some units that should be absolute rock-bottom cannon-fodder tier will be... Annoying.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Ryusei Route, Mission 40

:frogsiren: WARNING: MAXIMUM LEVELS OF INGRAM AT THE END OF THIS UPDATE :frogsiren:

The Earthlings have broken into Neviim. Atad plans to go to the kibbutz and begin their mental conditioning; it will save them some time in the long run. Levi surprises her by saying that she will lend assistance. After all, there are those among the samples who have resisted Atad's manipulation in the past. She heads to Judecca's core, leaving Ingram to oversee the rest.

Mission 40: Insect Cage

We can deploy almost the entire roster this time around. It comes down to a choice between Bullet, Radha, Katina, and Russell for the final slot. Only Bullet is leveled up at this point, but I end up giving the spot to Radha. I have a feeling I'll be wanting more support spirits in the next couple missions.

Elzam turns command of the Kurogane over to Daitetsu; the old captain has some misgivings about taking his ship, but Elzam considers himself far more suited to piloting.

Meanwhile, the crew gets its first :psyduck: of the mission. The White Star's interior has gravity and breathable air, almost like a space colony. What is something like this doing inside the alien fortress? Eita takes some readings and confirms that the environment is nearly identical to that of Earth. It could be a residential area for the Aerogaters, but there's no sign of habitation.

Giado idly suggests that the place reminds him of a ranch; Gilliam thinks he may be closer to the point than he believes...

Victory condition: None. :psyduck:

Our map. It's very open. And green. Except for the parts that aren't green, which are apparently still under construction.

Well, for lack of a better option and with no objectives whatsoever, we're just going to move forward and fan out a bit.

Elzam: "All units, keep your eyes on the periphery. Stay alert."
Leona: "Understood, Major Elzam."

Tasuku: "Hey, uh... Leona?"
Leona: "What? We're in the middle of an op, private comms are prohibited."
Tasuku: "It'll just be a minute."
Leona: "...Fine. What is it?"

Tasuku: "I... I'm not giving up."
Leona: "!"
Tasuku: "Just wanted to say that now. If we get through this... well, I'll say something else then."
Leona: "Tasuku..."

Eita detects a gravity quake at 12 o'clock; Tetsuya orders everyone to assume formation and stay sharp.

Given our position I'm not actually sure what 12 o'clock is supposed to be, so we'll fan out a bit more.

On the enemy phase, some enemies finally appear, and it's a bunch of DC armored modules. Cue the horrified reactions from Kyosuke 39 as our people realize they're fighting abducted humans.

They get some free shots at us, given that it's the enemy phase. You can't really see everything in this screenshot, but from left to right we have a pack of Barrelions, a pack of Landlions, a pack of Guarlion Customs (with new yellow color scheme!) and just barely poking in from the right, some basic Lions. Most of these aren't much to worry about; the Lions are cannon fodder, while the Landlions are harder to hit but no more durable. The Barrelions are Barrelions (:argh:), but they're easy enough to short-circuit by parking somebody maneuverable like Ryusei right in front of them.

The Guarlion Customs, on the other hand, have 18000 HP apiece and are fairly tough. The six of them (three twins) will take the most effort to kill out of this wave. (They also have our old friend the Sonic Breaker as a primary attack, so watch out.)

Radha begins the process of clawing her way up to a level on par with the rest of the team.

The Barrelions are far enough away that we need a squad to focus on them specifically (Ryusei, Kyosuke, Excellen, Tasuku in this case). Everybody else can focus on the Guarlions, while the Landlions wipe themselves out with counterattacks.

Dealing damage to the Guarlions isn't as easy as you'd expect this early in the mission. Most of our people haven't earned much morale yet.

But early on Turn 4 we're able to finish them off.

A couple of us get wrecked by Sonic Breakers in the process, though.

Aya has a sudden pain in her head. Radha analyzes the TK waveform and confirms that it's the same one they encountered in Geneva; in other words, the one that matched Mai Kobayashi.

She tells Aya to cut the T-LINK connection. Upon doing so, the pain recedes, but Aya is still reeling. She had a glimpse of somebody else's mind, just for a moment...

No time to contemplate this, as the next wave of bad guys arrives: no less than three Valsions. At this point nobody even bothers being surprised to see them here. Lune just says that cheap copies will never hold a candle to her father's machine and gets ready to rip them apart.

And now we have our mastery requirement; eliminate the Valsion Customs by the end of turn 6. It's the start of turn 4 now, so we have plenty of time, but if we'd gotten way out of position or took too long to finish the first wave we'd be out of luck now.

The Valsions actually have good damage even with their status weapons, so they're a credible threat to any of your units. You can spend a bunch of SP to even the odds, but this mission's only just getting started and we're going to need our spirits later.

As a result, we take quite a few hits during this segment.

On the bright side, the Valsions are easy to hit and damage, and a half-dozen attacks or so are enough to take one of them down.

Two are dead by the start of Turn 5.

And the third goes down just a couple attacks later.

:toot:

The last of the Valsions has been destroyed, but Tetsuya is trying to make sense of this. They're inside the enemy fortress, and all they've encountered thus far has been Earthling weaponry. Where are all the Aerogater machines?

Eita detects an incoming contact, and we get a surprise: Viletta in a prototype Gespenst. She says she's glad they made it in time, and the Kyosuke-route crew gives a very brief introduction to Excellen's dearest soeur. Ryusei thinks he's met her somewhere before...

Radha asks where she's been all this time; after a moment's silence, she responds that she's been investigating the Aerogaters in secret.

Gilliam: "Viletta..."
Viletta: "...I know what you're thinking. But I'm here to stop the Aerogaters from causing a disaster. If you doubt me... well, you know what to do. I don't blame you."
Gilliam: "...All right. I believe you."

Viletta: "Thank you, Major Yeager. Be careful, everyone... there are more reinforcements on their way."

And then they arrive.

:psypop:

Kyosuke: "Assault 1 to all units. Stay frosty, everyone. It looks like they've managed to copy us."
Kyosuke: "...I thought we'd see something like this."

Excellen: "Hmmm... that's such a classic bad-guy move, too."

Ryusei: "Heh! Let me show you the difference between a fake and the real thing!"
Ryusei: "Th... that's me!"

Excellen: "They even made them sound just like us..."
Bullet: "Don't compliment them, Lieutenant!"

Excellen: "Ooh, looks like fake Bullet's just as easy to tease."
Shiro: "It's just like him, meow!"

Shiro: "They've even got a fake me!?"
Masaki: "Not a bad imitation... but I'll deal with you in no time!"

Giado (the real one... or is it? :tinfoil:) complains that his head's spinning from all this. Leona suggests that they're doppelgangers, only to get told off by Irm not even to joke about that, since they're supposed to appear right before you die.

Viletta explains things a little. Like the Valsions that we already fought, these are replicas constructed using the Aerogaters' data. As for the pilots, they've been generated by scanning the memories of our crew - in other words, we're fighting our own shadows.

It's like when Masaki and Lune met Shu and Bian earlier - only this time Excellen is seeing the same thing as everybody else. If that's the case, it means the real culprit is no doubt the same as before; they're not sure how to lure Atad out, but smacking down these copies seems like a safe start.

Kyosuke can't figure out why they're doing this; is it to defeat them, or just to undermine their confidence? Viletta warns the crew not to let their "dark sides" mislead them, and he decides to dispel them first and worry about what's later, later.

So, following on the :psyduck: of discovering this nice lush greenhouse area inside the enemy fortress, now we have the :psypop: of... this.

Most of these are obvious; we have Evil Ryusei in SRX, Kyosuke and Excellen in the Alt and Weiss, Masaki and Lune in Cybuster and the Valsione, Tasuku in the Giganscudo, Irm in the Grungust, and Kusuha in the Type-2. Additionally, we have Evil Bullet in the Wildschwein, Evil Gilliam in the Gespenst Mk. II Type-R, and Evil Leona in a Guarlion.

And there's one other newcomer on the field, of course.

Viletta, in the Gespenst Mk. II Type-S. It's a scaled-down version of Galuin's mech, and is a Ryusei-route exclusive; the only requirement was to destroy Ingram's R-GUN back when he first betrayed us in Mission 30. (If we hadn't destroyed the R-GUN, we wouldn't have the R-GUN at this point either, and I think Viletta will be piloting it now instead of the Type-S. I've never tested that, though.)

Anyway, after the pounding we took on the first wave of enemies, a number of my people are recuperating aboard the Kurogane. Slowly. No longer having Lefina to hang back and cast Trust a few times makes me sad.

Even more so, because among this pack of evil clones is :siren:the most dangerous enemy in all of OG1.:siren: But which one is it?

Is it Evil Masaki with Cybuster?

Nah, he's a pushover.

And Radha thanks him for the extra three levels.

How about Evil Kusuha?

Nah. Impressive health total, though.

OK, that hurt. But no.

Surely it's evil Ryusei or Kyosuke...

Wrong again. Their hitrates stink and Kyosuke doesn't even bother moving towards us, so he just sits on his rear end during the enemy phase.

Evil Lune?

Nope again.

Evil Bullet, Gilliam, and Leona actually advance towards us, but they still don't have a prayer of actually connecting.

It's got to be Evil Irm.

No. No it doesn't.

And why does the Grungust have half the health of the Type-2, and less health than both Cybuster and the Valsione? :psyduck:

But surely, surely it couldn't be Evil Tasuku in his Giganscudo, with its 0% hit and dodge rates?

CORRECTION: Evil Tasuku with his level-6 Lucky skill, randomly granting him a 100% hit and critical rate.

I saved at this point and out of curiosity, continued. In sequence, he proceeded to do the same to Excellen, Ryusei, Elzam, and Gilliam.

What a bastard.

I reloaded to do something a little less stubbornly ineffective, but it was too late for poor Aya. Sorry, Aya. :smith:

It's time for righteous vengeance, but first we have a little business to conclude.

Before getting KOed Aya left Evil Kusuha with barely over 100 health, so Radha/Ryoto finish the job. Radha has gained fourteen levels thus far this mission, incidentally.

After that it's time for justice. I'm not taking any chances any longer, so Ryusei and Sanger both cast Grit (just in case) and smite the everliving gently caress out of Evil Tasuku. Lucky doesn't trigger against either of them now, because at this point the game is just mocking me. :argh:

Evil Bullet, Gilliam, and Leona at least have reasonable amounts of health, so they get picked off pretty easily.

In fact, Leona kills herself. :stonk:

Gilliam's dodge rate is a bit of a problem, but Viletta is fresh to the battle and has plenty of SP for casting Sense.

She also has the Genspenst-S's BFG.

At this point it's mostly just cleanup. Neither Evil Ryusei nor Kyosuke nor Excellen can hit at all, and they don't have nasty hax instant-kill skills like Tasuku does.

Although Evil Lune does have nasty hax dodging skills. :argh:

You'd think there'd be some entertaining dialogue here when you make people fight themselves, either in or out of combat, but surprisingly there's almost none. The only example I managed to drag out of the game was when Ryusei fought Evil Ryusei:

Ryusei: "Come get some, fake me!"
Ryusei: "You sure about that? You take out SRX, you don't just hurt me - you involve everybody else in the area."
Ryusei: "!"

Rai: "So you do know. Our mech is a double-edged sword..."
Aya: "And the T-LINK System just draws more enemies to us..."

Aya: "!!"
Ryusei: "Shut up! You're not gonna talk your way out of this!"

NO MERCY.

Kyosuke and Excellen wrap things up by overkilling Evil Excellen, because why not.

With the third wave eliminated and no more evil clones in sight, Atad appears way over on the opposite side of the map.

She notes that the Trauma Shadow seems to have lost its effectiveness against us. Masaki scoffs that fakes are never up to beating the real thing, and the same will happen if she tries it a third time.

Atad: "Hmm... but Galuin and the others knew such bliss under our control."
Masaki: "What the hell are you talking about!?"
Atad: "Haven't you ever imagined it? Never needing to worry about past pain and trauma... only to focus, with all your heart, on battle. Haven't you felt the longing?"
Masaki: "Shut up!"

Atad: "Ha! You love combat! You're no different from Gaza!"
Masaki: "What are you talking about!?" (*)

Atad: "If not, you would never have come all the way here. It's why Neviim has come here, why the eye of Judecca has been on you. Earthlings have an instinct for conflict that is unmatched in the galaxy. Gaza Haganer - or should I say, Tenzan Nakajima - is a prime example."
Ryusei: "!!"
Masaki: "It really was him!"

Atad: "Now, Gaza... do as you please with them. Don't worry about the damage... I'll just give them new bodies if need be."
Gaza: "Hyahaa! Really? I can really kill them all!?"

Atad: "Yes, by all means! It will make the process so much simpler!"

Gaza goes on about how he's going to pop us like bubble wrap. Kyosuke tells Ryusei that there's no time to think about mercy, so don't. Ryusei is fully prepared to settle this with his own hands. For her part, Atad can't wait for Gaza to slake his bloodlust; once she's given the crew new life, they'll all be retooled into faithful servants of the Balmar...

Well, here we are. The final wave of the mission. Honest.

We're dealing with Barrelion Customs and Guarlion Customs, both of which have in excess of 20000 health... and both Atad and Gaza, who have traded in for Vayyikras with over 80000 health apiece (and After-Image :suicide:).

But I'm tired. If they want to fight me they can drat well come over here to do it. I'm just going to group up for a bit and let my people aboard the Hagane repair and recharge for a turn or two.

Atad doesn't bother to move at all on the enemy phase. Gaza and the rest, on the other hand, obligingly head straight for us.

As you've probably noticed, this mission is a marathon. You have four sizable waves to deal with, and they definitely save the worst for last, since you'll need SP just to hit Gaza and Atad reliably, much less carve through all their health. Most of the first wave (except for the Guarlions) is easily disposed of without spirits, as are the second wave of Valsions (minus what you need to spend to make the mastery in time) and the third (with the exception of Tasuku). But if you've been spending them as you go, you may find yourself shorthanded. I'm really wishing Aya was still in the air right now.

Anyway, the eight grunt units alone have roughly 200,000 health between them, so getting a support chain going is a must. The Customs' hit and dodge rates aren't anything to write home about, but their Sonic Breakers and rail cannons hurt just as much as ever. In my case, they actually parked just out of reach of my guys (:argh:). I was grateful for Kusuha's cheap Guard, letting her tank for a turn while I got everybody back into position.

Once you're actually in position, the enemies fall easily. Leaving the bosses.

Coming after you first, Gaza is by far the more draining of the two. His Vayyikra has the same G-Wall barrier that his Ezekiel had, making a significant reduction to incoming damage and possibly nullifying it completely (on top of his Prevail skill which will reduce damage further as his health drops). If you've already exhausted yourself at this point, you'll have no choice but to slowly chip away at him a bit at a time, giving him plenty of opportunities to get lucky hits (that will get even luckier as Prevail kicks in) and kill you. And half your attacks will miss automatically because of After-Image.

So save your SP for this point and hit him hard instead.

What a difference one mission twinned up with a guy who knows Gain can make, eh Radha?

Gaza dies with the same scene from Kyosuke 39. Atad has a little to say in response...

"Hmph... he was unexpectedly fragile. Perhaps we overestimated the need for restraints... but no matter. Let me show you the difference between a mere Earthling and a pure Balmarian."

Of course she still won't move, because she's a colossal troll. She's not as dangerous as Gaza was, though, despite having a little more health.

"That man... he's no ordinary human."

"Kh...! I can't see into his mind...!"

Because Gilliam's just that awesome, lady. :smuggo:

At this point, assuming you still have SP to spare, the mission's basically over. Just one more push to finish her off.

I don't know if it's tied to her using the Vayyikra, but Atad shows off a couple other lines this mission. After being hit: "Coming to Earth will be fruitful after all." Attacking: "If you submit obediently, your life will be spared. Isn't that better?"

Sanger is... unmoved.

Smash smash smash.

And Masaki and Kusuha twin up for the finish.

Atad: "Th-this can't be! A Balmarian... defeated by Earthlings!? I won't have it! I've analyzed you extensively! Without our wisdom, you'd be content to fight endlessly! Why? Why must I fall to such creatures!?"

FINALLY.

With the field cleared, Daitetsu orders the Titanic Drill fired up; they're going straight to the fortress' core. Ryusei tells Ingram to just wait... they'll be coming for him soon enough!

But first we'll pay to get the R-3 back. The Kurogane's repair crew must charge union rates for rush jobs or something.

Well, that's the end of that mission. A pretty big shift after the past couple missions of "kill battleships, then kill more battleships, then kill battleships parked on defensive terrain."

But we're not done with the update. No, there's one last for the road...

"Ugh... uh... I'm... dying... those wretches..."

"B-but... with Levi's data on the Zfylud Crystals... my body... my body could be strengthened... and then..."

"Wh... what is this? A classified file...?"

"Institute of Cerebral Sciences... Subject #4? Jennifer Fonda...?"

"Th-that's impossible! That... that's my face! That... that's not---!"

Ingram: "It most certainly is."
Atad: "I-Ingram...! I... I'm...!?"
Ingram: "That's right. You are not Balmarian. You're Jennifer Fonda - a sample I selected from among the Earthlings."

Atad: "N-no! I... I'm the same as Galuin and Gaza...?"
Ingram: "Yes."

Atad: "You... you're lying! I'm Atad Shamran... I'm a pure Balmarian!"
Ingram: "A memory I planted within you. There is not a single Balmarian on this installation."

Ingram: "...Not even me."

"You've served your purpose, Atad - or rather, Jennifer Fonda. Now, sleep... for eternity."

A gunshot rings out as we fade to black.

* (Thanks to Gigi D.G. Go read Cucumber Quest.)

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 3, 2015

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I am so glad that Atad is finally dead. I despise that kind of :smuggo: villain who never shuts the gently caress up about how they're "superior" and such.

On an unrelated note, I was not expecting the use of that Gigi comic, but it fits so well here :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
And there it is. There is not one Balmarian in this Balmarian invasion fleet. Which to me is actually a pretty cool twist, since the Balmarians in Alpha actually were Balmarians. Here though everyone we encounter is just a human. And whatever the hell Ingram is

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The most dangerous clone? Well clearly it's going to be the Evil SRX-WHAT THE loving gently caress?

:xcom:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Uh, was the Doppelganger Fight in the original GBA version of OG1.

Because I do not remember that at all. :psyduck:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dr Pepper posted:

Uh, was the Doppelganger Fight in the original GBA version of OG1.

Because I do not remember that at all. :psyduck:

Oh yeah it absolutely is.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh hey, I just realized. The Doppelganger SRX showing up got more fanfare than the Real SRX forming up, didn't it?

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

Viletta, in the Gespenst Mk. II Type-S. It's a scaled-down version of Galuin's mech, and is a Ryusei-route exclusive; the only requirement was to destroy Ingram's R-GUN back when he first betrayed us in Mission 30. (If we hadn't destroyed the R-GUN, we wouldn't have the R-GUN at this point either, and I think Viletta will be piloting it now instead of the Type-S. I've never tested that, though.)

And here we have my favorite mech in OG1 and OG2. Incredibly heavily armored, yet agile as all hell, is no pushover with a cheap, spammable yet powerful attack, S ranks in everywhere it's needed, and I believe you can equip weapons on it, this mech can be piloted by ANYONE and still perform amazingly.

And the finisher it gets in OG2 is amazing and I will not hear otherwise.

And yes, if you don't get the R-Gun in stage 30, this is where you get it instead, with Viletta in it.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Oh my God, look at that Ingram smug face. Fantastic! I hope the VA was having as much fun in that scene as the artist obviously did.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

David Corbett posted:

Oh my God, look at that Ingram smug face. Fantastic! I hope the VA was having as much fun in that scene as the artist obviously did.

Sorry to disappoint, but aside from a few exceptions (I know there's some on-map voice stuff in other SRWs but I don't know if there's any in this game, but there's some voice acting in the CG cutscenes) the only voice-acted stuff is in battle.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The evil doppelgangers are kind of disappointing (unless Tasuku gets Lucky, as we saw) and it's too bad, because facing down evil your guys should be terrifying. Sadly, even if evil Ryusei had the hit and dodge rates he should, it's just bleeding off more SP.

Also, is Leona in the Wildschwein? Why? She'd do so much better in the 008L. She's got the +2 dodge/+2 hit will gains, which are a lot better than Gilliam's +1 for everything, and unless you gave her the Graviton Launcher her finisher is going to be off-stat. At least steal the Huckebein Mk-II Elzam isn't in. (and speaking of Elzam, I really wonder how the Leona/Tasuku relationship would've worked out if someone had told her he thought she had an incestual crush on her cousin)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omobono posted:

I don't think there's any forced movement abilities in SRW games, and if there are, they're not in this one.

For the record there are in Super Robot Wars Neo. It owns.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Okay. So. The Balmarians are actually humans with false memories.

So what the hell? Who's actually in charge here? I'd say Ingram, but on the Kyosuke route even he seems to be suffering the effects of mind control. (He could be faking, I suppose.) And to what purpose? Is it as simple as 'take over the world', or is there a deeper purpose? I hope we get some answers to this complete mindscrew.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

FredMSloniker posted:

So what the hell? Who's actually in charge here? I'd say Ingram, but on the Kyosuke route even he seems to be suffering the effects of mind control. (He could be faking, I suppose.) And to what purpose? Is it as simple as 'take over the world', or is there a deeper purpose? I hope we get some answers to this complete mindscrew.

Well I originally assumed that the "True Balmarians" were just too busy to bother with a puny planet like Earth, or however many other planets they kidnap subjects from and they just set up this system of kidnapping people, brainwashing them, then using those to kidnap even more people to throw into their meat grinder wars.

How neat of a twist would it be if it turned out that the "True Balmarians" are all long dead, and the only thing left is this whole self-perpetuating "kidnap, brainwash, rinse, repeat" scheme?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Those who played Alpha would be able to make some educated guesses about what's going on at this point, despite the circumstances being quite different. That's all I'll say about that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Yes, Atad, Levi, Villeta and even Ingram are all things that aren't Balmarian. Atad and Levi are both humans, and Villeta is related to what Ingram is, and Ingram himself is... an entire fucknig mess.

Spoilers for... not this game but the character in general

Ingram is a Time Diver, hence the theme song. he travels from universe to universe essentially living the same life over and over again. In the Alpha 1 if you recruit him in the final battle, he makes reference to it being "This time again" and being glad to see Ryusei there once more. He's always been tied to the TRUE Balmarians, but he himself is sort of beyond the idea of species.

As for the memory, it's been hinted at but it has to do with the White Star itself, it's been exerting control over Ingram who's been trying desperatly to set up the Steel Dragon Squad as strong enough to wipe them out. Viletta somehow escaped this control and is acting as his agent to support them. Atad was convinced she was Balmarian, but she was just another earth Psychodriver who was kidnapped and modified. A common recurring theme with the Balmarians is the uneasy feeling that what they're witnessing is to real to them, but their bloody minded devotion to the fact they MUST be the Balmar.

Finally, something I haven't mentioned. I think they borked the balance here, I was double checking over HP numbers, and only Ingram, the final boss and one other ever break 100k HP I believe in the GBA version.

I could be wrong, but it seems they pumped HP for everything for OGs, and that's a bad move in my book.

EDIT: Double checking I don't think I've mentioned anything the game itself hasn't. But I spoilered it all to be sure

Onmi fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 2, 2015

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This stage is further confirmation that Ingram owns and Ryusei's route owns.

I had Bullet in the Wildschwein when I first played OG1, so I thought they were deliberately mimicking my deployment selection. That was too cool to be true I guess! And in that same playthrough I got the R-Gun during this stage so I can confirm that yes you get it instead of the Gespenst-S with Viletta if you fail to destroy Ingram way back. :v:

And yes, they put more effort into the Trauma Shadows than in the first combination of the SRX.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
You know what's worse then those doubles being weak?

They are boring. They aren't evil versions of your characters nor are they exaggerated versions of everyones worst traits, or mirrors of what your pilots hate about themselves. They are just exactly like your guys and that's it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Boring? Surely you meant 'Terrifying', right? It's one thing if your evil cloning device produces weird copies, or evil copies, or slightly defective copies. When it can produce a copy so identical that it actually thinks it is you, that's freaky as poo poo, yo. That's some loving Total Recall poo poo there.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Onmi posted:

Finally, something I haven't mentioned. I think they borked the balance here, I was double checking over HP numbers, and only Ingram, the final boss and one other ever break 100k HP I believe in the GBA version.

I could be wrong, but it seems they pumped HP for everything for OGs, and that's a bad move in my book.

The reason for this is because of the Twin System and its ability to allow the player to trivially poo poo out damage. Keyser Soze has pointed this out a couple times with respect to battle masteries and bosses that had much lower requirements in the GBA versions. It's simply not possible to do more than 12k or so with a single unit by this point, neither will players ever exceed 30k in a single action outside of severely stacked bullshit situations (Cross Smasher supports with Lune buffed to hell come to mind), whereas in OGs players are expected to be able to do 30k on command at this point and probably be breaking 100k by the time we get to OG2 Twin Unit Soul Combination Attack + Soul Combination Attack supported by Twin Unit Combination Attack + Combination Attack + relationship bonuses, aka the 10-robot fuckstack of death.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FredMSloniker posted:

Ore mo watashi da!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

The reason for this is because of the Twin System and its ability to allow the player to trivially poo poo out damage. Keyser Soze has pointed this out a couple times with respect to battle masteries and bosses that had much lower requirements in the GBA versions. It's simply not possible to do more than 12k or so with a single unit by this point, neither will players ever exceed 30k in a single action outside of severely stacked bullshit situations (Cross Smasher supports with Lune buffed to hell come to mind), whereas in OGs players are expected to be able to do 30k on command at this point and probably be breaking 100k by the time we get to OG2 Twin Unit Soul Combination Attack + Soul Combination Attack supported by Twin Unit Combination Attack + Combination Attack + relationship bonuses, aka the 10-robot fuckstack of death.

I don't think any combo-capable pilot gets Soul. It's Kai, Katina, and Ryoto only. So you can have a Souled combination attack supported by two combination attacks or you can have a twinned combo attack supported by a twinned combo, but you can't have both.

That said, it's all irrelevant when you can just twin the SRX and the R-Gun. The 10-robot stack of death is fun, but you sure don't need it to beat OGS.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ore mo watashi da!

Sore mo watashi da.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

David Corbett posted:

Oh my God, look at that Ingram smug face. Fantastic!

You just know Ingram was rehearsing this moment every single time Atad gave him poo poo about something over the past ten missions, too.

Onmi posted:

I could be wrong, but it seems they pumped HP for everything for OGs, and that's a bad move in my book

There is higher health overall (and some units replaced with beefier units, like Adler's Grey Stork replacing his generic Rhinoceros from the original), but nobody broke six digits on this mission - the biggest enemies were the Vayyikras at 80k+ apiece, which is pretty much in line with the original.

FredMSloniker posted:

Oh boy. We'll, uh... we'll get a few answers, but not many. OG1 was clearly meant to inspire a lot of mass speculation from fans who had already played Alpha, given the many ways that things don't match up between Alpha and OG. I'll talk about the Alpha series' storyline a bit in retrospect once we're done with the first game (assuming I can remember it all, it's been ten years or so since I played it last).

For the time being I'll just point out that we've seen neither hide nor hair of this charming gentleman since the game began.

MarsDragon posted:

why are you playing sub-optimally :argh:

Spite.

Pure, malicious, unadulterated spite. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MarsDragon posted:

Sore mo watashi da.

...gently caress.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

MarsDragon posted:

I don't think any combo-capable pilot gets Soul. It's Kai, Katina, and Ryoto only. So you can have a Souled combination attack supported by two combination attacks or you can have a twinned combo attack supported by a twinned combo, but you can't have both.

That said, it's all irrelevant when you can just twin the SRX and the R-Gun. The 10-robot stack of death is fun, but you sure don't need it to beat OGS.

Sore mo watashi da.

You're right. Still, Valor Combo + Valor Combo + Support Combo + Support Combo is still massive, easy damage, and that's only if you're trying to break like 100k in a single animation, which is totally unnecessary. In fact, 2 raw damage (not Support) combination attacks at once was impossible anyway in GBA OG1 and OG2, which is already a huge damage boost to the player. I still submit that the Twin System is responsible for all the HP buffs thrown to the enemy side.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Speaking of stupidly huge combos, my Google-fu is failing me. Can someone link some of those videos of, like, ten robots all piling on one target?

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
I can't keep myself from posting this: Be aware of big spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORzH6gqaLko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Seyser Koze posted:

We're dealing with Barrelion Customs and Guarlion Customs, both of which have in excess of 20000 health... and both Atad and Gaza, who have traded in for Vayyikras with over 80000 health apiece (and After-Image :suicide:).

You know, you say Vayyikra, but all I can see is Mega-Ultra-Chicken.

• Locked thread