Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

FredMSloniker posted:

Speaking of stupidly huge combos, my Google-fu is failing me. Can someone link some of those videos of, like, ten robots all piling on one target?

Okay, so this is going to be spoilerific as gently caress. Click at your own risk. If you do not understand what is happening, do not ask questions about it in this thread. It'd just turn into a CIA document about stuff that's going to inevitably be shown anyway.

10 robot fuckstack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOlYGiJkeu4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Broken Loose posted:

Okay, so this is going to be spoilerific as gently caress. Click at your own risk. If you do not understand what is happening, do not ask questions about it in this thread. It'd just turn into a CIA document about stuff that's going to inevitably be shown anyway.

This appears accurate to my recollections.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

You know, you say Vayyikra, but all I can see is Mega-Ultra-Chicken.

Now I can't unsee it. :staredog:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Broken Loose posted:

Huh. That's not the video I was thinking of (it was from one of the PS2 games, and had Royal Heart Breaker as one of the attacks), but it's still pretty cool!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Huh. That's not the video I was thinking of (it was from one of the PS2 games, and had Royal Heart Breaker as one of the attacks), but it's still pretty cool!

The thing is, there are a couple ways to get a 10 robot fuckstack of death off, if you only do 9 or 8 there are even more combos.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

AtomikKrab posted:

The thing is, there are a couple ways to get a 10 robot fuckstack of death off, if you only do 9 or 8 there are even more combos.

Well, it may not have been exactly ten.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

10 robot fuckstack
That may be one of more accurate descriptions of that game mechanic. Especially when fighting opponents with gargantuan HP amounts, which seems to be the modus operandi for endgame OG stages.

Admittedly, you can do a similar thing in this game with the Twin System, but requires less setup/preparations and I'm 99% sure is the inspiration (for Banpresto) that led to the above video from 2nd OGs.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AtomikKrab posted:

poo poo, if 8 is the limit then that opens up like half the cast (since any paired combinations will work). If 9 is the limit, then one of the combo attacks has to be R-Series. If 10 is the limit, then you have to use the 4-bot spoiler attack.

AradoBalanga posted:

Admittedly, you can do a similar thing in this game with the Twin System, but requires less setup/preparations and I'm 99% sure is the inspiration (for Banpresto) that led to the above video from 2nd OGs.

Yeah, the way it works in this game is functionally identical, but without the shower of bullets at the beginning.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Broken Loose posted:

that did weirdly nowhere near as much damage as I was expecting

somebody didn't spam valors and/or souls!

...or do it against a needlessly squishy enemy for that maneuver, like Completely Normal Jet Fighters That Are Still Somehow Relevant

(is it spoiler-worthy to say that at that point, a game and a half later, for some inexplicable reason one of your units remains a completely standard F-32)

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 5, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

...or do it against a needlessly squishy enemy for that maneuver, like Completely Normal Jet Fighters That Are Still Somehow Relevant

(is it spoiler-worthy to say that at that point, a game and a half later, for some inexplicable reason one of your units remains a completely standard F-32)

I have deployed a stock gespie to the final battle. ONLY THE GLORIOUS PILOT MATTERS

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gyra_Solune posted:

No spirits, and it's against a boss with probably a high Prevail going.

This is probably closer to what you want:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCBMvDQOH3g

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Kyosuke Route, Mission 40

I'm digging back into the ammo creation system one more time. Morale Up (which reduces the morale cost to use a weapon), plus another Morale Up, plus Barrier Weaken/Morale Down (reduces the effectiveness of a barrier versus that weapon, but increases the morale cost), gives us... Ability Down Lv. 3, which reduces all of the enemy pilot's stats by 30 for the rest of the turn on contact.

I load it into a Boosted Rifle and hand it over to Elzam. I also make sure Radha has an Armor Breaker before the mission starts.

Mission 40: A Price to be Paid

Team Kyosuke has entered the White Star, and has the same reaction to seeing its interior as Team Ryusei.

Galuin shortly arrives in the PTX-002 Gespenst-S, accompanied by a number of Valsions.

Lune gets ready to rumble, planning to send Ingram a message: no matter how many human achievements the Aerogaters try to copy, it will never be enough.

Gilliam warns the crew to be on their guard; they already know the Gespenst has been heavily modified with EOT. Sanger adds that we can't let our superior numbers make us overconfident, as we're fighting his former instructor.

Objectives. We have to take out Galuin by the end of turn 6 for the mastery. Of note is that under the defeat conditions, "battleship destroyed" is replaced with "all units destroyed" - because there are no battleships. No Kurogane this time around.

To work around that, I finally reassign my repair and resupply modules, which were still sitting on Gespensts from back when our mission count was in the single digits. We haven't really needed them due to having people who can cast Faith or Trust, but with both Tetsuya and Lefina out of the picture it's time to dust them off again. Finding people to put them on is a little trickier, since people who would seem to be obvious candidates (Russell) are in machines that can't receive equippable weapons. In the end the repair modules go on the Huckebein mk. II (Viletta) and the Valsione, while the suppliers go on Radha's Wildschwein and Gilliam's Gespenst-R.

At first glance the enemy field's looking a bit thin; only four Valsion Customs and Galuin's Gespenst-S, with no trash to wade through. Then you look again and realize that it's :airquote: only :airquote: four Valsion Customs, with no trash to kill for morale. Thankfully Galuin hasn't received an upgrade, so his Gespenst is still at 46k health. It does regenerate each turn, though.

chaaaaaaaaaarge

Galuin hasn't moved by turn 2, which immediately makes Masaki and Excellen suspect a trap. Gilliam isn't so sure; could he be trying to hold back... for their sake?

"KH... UHH... C... COME... HU... HUR... RY... H... HE... IS... COMING..."

On turn 2 we start to make contact. All of the Valsions are toting chaff grenades and they're only too happy to use them. The Cybird is one of my most maneuverable units and they're still pulling a 1-in-5 hitrate against it, so you can expect 50%, give or take, for most others. At least the enemies are so easy to hit that the accuracy penalty won't do any harm.

Still, this is over 130k health, total, to chew through before we can even start to think about Galuin.

I have Radha using Alert; since she has SP Regen it's basically a free dodge each turn. As easily tricked as the AI in this game can be, it is smart enough to pick its weapons reasonably well. If a unit can dodge well enough that Cross Smasher won't hit, the Valsion will switch to the much more accurate chaff grenades. But Radha will dodge no matter what it uses, it just uses the Cross Smasher rather than waste one of its two grenade shots.

In any case, Turn 2 mostly involves getting support blobs set up. A couple of people like Kyosuke - and, unfortunately, Excellen - take hits. Kyosuke can weather the damage for a while, but Excellen can't and needs to be topped off.

It's easy not to realize how zoomed-out you are while playing, like I was for a big chunk of this mission. Oops. The R-Series and pretty much all the Grungusts are going for the two Valsions on the left while Kyosuke, Excellen, and most of the other Kyosuke-routers are on the right.

On the enemy phase of Turn 2, Galuin goes on the move, but only gets single-digit hitrates against Ryusei.

By the time turn 3 begins we're ready to start tearing into the Valsions, who are already hurting after being on the receiving end of Revolver Stakes, Shishioh Blades, et cetera during the counterattacks of the previous turn.

They still get to troll us a fair bit, though. You couldn't do another 500 damage, Elzam? :argh:

stake stake stake

stake stake staaaaaughgghgh :gonk:

Katina desperately needs more morale. And not to be suffering the support-attack penalty. The morale thing is an ongoing theme this mission that we'll be returning to later.

But with a little effort (read: the combined efforts of everybody assigned to the right-hand group), those two Valsions go down.

The left side is, if anything, more heavily stacked than the right, with Cybuster, the Shishioh Blade-wielder, the Grungusts (who can use Drill Attack without morale) and Ryusei in the R-1 (who can use his heavily upgraded T-LINK Knuckle at a low morale level).

By the end of turn 3, the left-hand Valsions are destroyed as well.

Galuin goes on the offensive again. I don't know if he's actively seeking out the Aggressors or if it just happened this way.

Kai: "drat it... there will be justice for this!"
Galuin: :geno:

"THAT... TARGET... IS..."

Kai doesn't have enough morale for Jet Magnum yet. :flaccid:

But hey, our support blob is already in place for taking Galuin out.

Even with our morale troubles, for all the fanfare, he doesn't look all that dangerous. Almost as if he's a warmup for something else. :tinfoil:

I really should let the Aggressors get in on the fight, even so.

Sanger: "Colonel... I've come to cut through the spell binding your fate! En garde!"

:stonk:

"I knew it... that machine, it's---"

Now that Galuin's almost dead, Elzam drops his stats by thirty.

Moving on again, we'll have Gilliam finish him off.

Gilliam: "There's only one option left... to set you free, we must defeat you!"

And that's that.

Galuin: "STA... TUS... CRI... TI... CAL... CAN... NOT... WITH... DRAW... FUNC... TIONS... CEA... S..."

Galuin: "....GIL... LI... AM..."
Gilliam: "!!"

Galuin: "GIL... LIAM... TH... ANK... YOU... TH... THIS... IS... MY..."
Gilliam: "Colonel! You've awakened...!?"

And that takes care of the mastery for this mission. :smith:

Elzam never fought Galuin directly, but would have had this to say:

quote:

Elzam: "Some must be sacrificed for the greater good. This is our fate...!"

If Viletta had fought him at any point, she would have said this:

quote:

Viletta: "I have no choice. Death is the only release from your shackles. Just like him...!"

Gilliam: "I knew it... but there was no other way... there wasn't! drat the Aerogaters... how dare they!"

And if any of the Aggressors deal the finishing blow, Galuin will say their name before dying. Each pilot has a reaction after the Gespenst explodes.

quote:

Kai: "Colonel Lau! Kh... this is how an Aggressor meets his end... drat the Aerogaters! This is unforgivable!"

quote:

Sanger: "Colonel Lau! Ugh.... Uoooooaaaaghhhh!"

quote:

Elzam: "Colonel Lau! Ugh... to save many others, you had to die... just like my wife before you... must I accept that?"

But we're not done yet, of course. Five units on a map? That won't do at all.

"So, Galuin Mehabel, you have been freed from the bonds of Judecca. Or rather, Colonel Kar-Wai Lau of the Aggressors... rest in peace."

Kyosuke: "There's no mistake... it's the same unit."
Excellen: "Wasn't expecting to see him so soon. I wonder if that means we're close to the goal?"

Ingram: "You have sorely miscalculated if you think this installation can be stopped so easily."
Ryusei: "Whatever! You're going down first, and the White Star's going supernova right after!"
Ingram: "There's no need for that. Neviim will give you all a far more suitable objective."
Masaki: "Oh, really? Well, you think what you like... we're not weapons, and we're not your samples!"
Excellen: "Right. We're humans, with feelings... and we're going to show you that, Major. Right, Aya?"
Aya: "That's right..."

Excellen: "Even if you did let me go after you captured me... well, I can't just forget that, can I?"
Ingram: "Heh... with you I felt there was no need for adjustments. Someone else had already seen to those."
Excellen: :confused:

Kyosuke: "Assault 1 to all units. We have to eliminate the R-GUN Rivale, and then move on to destroy the fortress' core!"
Bullet: "Roger, Lieutenant!"

Viletta: (Ingram... we will see your shackles released...)
Ingram: "There is no escape from here. Hold nothing back!"
Masaki: "That's our line, Ingram Prisken! It's the end of the line for you!"

Sanger: "Yes. For the sake of the fallen... our duty, our resolve, and our strength will be the blade that strikes you down!"
Aya: "Yes... a blade forged in our hearts. Major Ingram! I... we will put an end to you!"

Kyosuke: "The Rivale is the last obstacle before the core. Destroy it, and victory is in sight!"
Ingram: "Then come, chosen ones. Show me your power!"

Yep. Now we get to fight Ingram for real.

If Ryusei 40 was a marathon mission, Kyosuke 40 is the diametric opposite of a marathon, whatever that is. We had a grand total of five enemies to kill before this point, and now we get to fight the biggest enemy we've encountered thus far (lest we forget, the Rivale has 160,000 health, regenerates 16k per turn, and has a barrier that halves incoming damage). We are, at this moment, absolutely starved for morale. Some of our people haven't gotten out of the single digits yet. Only one of us (Masaki) has broken 130, the threshold to trigger Attacker, so we're missing out on 20% damage for most of our units. Furthermore, pretty much all of our best attacks require 120 morale, minimum.

In other words, this is the first (and more-or-less only) time that we've had to practice morale management. And we're going to cheese the gently caress out of it.

We have a total of two people on this team who know a particular spirit: Rouse. It raises the morale of any unit on the field by 10. Radha has the SP to cast it three times from maximum. Russell can do it twice.

We need to do this. Many, many times.

We're out of SP in no time at all - but both casters have SP Regen, at a rate of 10 SP per turn.

Other people can help out a little by casting Spirit or Drive, but we don't want to overdo it - they need SP for the actual fight. Elzam has a twin spirit that grants 5 morale to the entire map, but like most twin spirits it's expensive and he doesn't have SP Regen.

But if you think Ingram will have something to say about all this, think again. He's perfectly content to sit up in his corner of the map and wait for us to get our poo poo together. And wait. And wait.

But all good things must come to an end, and so on turn 25 or so, we mosey on over and get our support blob in place.

The twenty or so turns spent sitting around meant plenty of times for our repair people to get everybody topped off.

With any luck we can wrap this up quickly, before the hits from Ingram start to add up.

Radha and Gilliam are twinned up so that his Fury can benefit them both. Then they deliver the opening shots.

Armor Breaker.

Ability Down Lv. 3.

"Ingram! People like you, I can't forgive!" Masaki supports.

This will take a bit. 150k-ish to go. Sanger and Kusuha are next to the plate; now we can start casting Valor with meaningful effect.

"Ingram Prisken... I will cleave your schemes in two!"

That's a more encouraging damage total.

"Is that the extent of your gift?"

Moving right along...

"Taste the lion's fangs!" (I'm assuming this is a Shishioh Blade-specific comment.)

"For their final adjustments... they need one last push..."

Now Kusuha gets to do an attack of her own! :keke:

"I'm... I'm not your puppet!"

You didn't think we'd go through this without a Rampage Ghost, did you?

Over halfway there, and only four of my people have actually moved yet. I may have overprepared a bit. Oh well. Let's get the other combination attack in there...

"Is that all? You disappoint me, Ryusei."

"You're taking me too lightly, Ingram!"

"I hope you've prepared yourself, Ingram Prisken!"

Finally, a proper Jet Magnum.

I don't know if Ingram's fully comprehended our rage yet, so we'll bring in an expert on the subject.

And another ATX support. Hey, he finally used Axion Buster.

The Alt and Weiss don't have the energy for Rampage Ghost any longer, so Excellen falls back on Oxtongue D.

Followed by yet another R-Formation.

"Are you still fighting me, Aya?"

We really should get Bullet in on the fun.

"Bullet... show me your power."

"Yes... focus on those thoughts!"

Time for the final blow, and there's one person who probably needs to deliver it the most.

Tasuku: "Major! Your powers of misdirection are top-class!"

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!"

"This won't be enough to open my shackles, Viletta..."

But this will.

And that's it for Ingram. For all the ado about how much health he has compared to everybody else we've fought, it doesn't actually take that many actions to bring him down. To recap:

1. Radha (Armor Breaker) and Elzam (Boosted Rifle w/ special ammo) supported by Masaki (Akashic Buster)
2. Sanger (SANGER SMASH) supported by Kusuha (Doomblade)
3. Leona (Shishioh Blade) supported by Kusuha (Doomblade)
4. Kusuha (Doomblade) supported by Kyosuke (Rampage Ghost)
5. Ryusei (R-Formation) supported by Kai (Jet Magnum)
6. Katina (Cross Smasher) supported by Excellen (Rampage Ghost)
7. Excellen (Oxtongue D) supported by Aya (R-Formation)
8. Bullet (Darkness Blade)
9. Viletta (Chakram Shooter) and Tasuku (Gigante Uragano)

Half the team was still able to attack by the end of it, so even if Ingram had had another 100k health we probably wouldn't have had trouble - and that's just if we insist on taking him out in one round.

Granted, if we hadn't deployed Radha, or if Russell hadn't learned SP Regen way back, it would've been a very different story. But one high-HP boss isn't an insurmountable threat.

Banpresto will learn from this experience in OG2. :shepicide:

Anyway, where were we?

Viletta: "Ingram!"
Ingram: "Viletta..."
Viletta: "Forgive me, Ingram... I couldn't find any other way to free you... so I swore that at least... at least I would be the one to do it!"

Ingram: "It's all right, Viletta... I've been controlled by Gozzo's shackles... for long enough... but now, my nefesh will be freed from this false body..."

Ingram: "Your life is your own now, Viletta... Viletta Prisken..."
Viletta: "Ingram!"

Ingram: "And to the rest of you... my thanks. And... my apologies..."
Ryusei: "What!?"
Aya: "Major!"

Ingram: "Aya... I don't ask your forgiveness. But from now on... don't be bound by your past. Find your own way forward..."
Aya: "Major... Ingram...!"

(I've finally regained myself in full... my nefesh... and just in time to die. Ironic...)

(But... even if only for a moment... right now, I am Ingram Prisken, and no other. How many times has it been... how many lives? I don't remember, but...)

(Now, all is finished...)

Do we salute at this point? Do we use a Smith emote? I'm not really sure.

Gilliam: (...Was this your fate, Ingram Prisken?)
Ryusei: "What the hell... he was being controlled? Are you serious!?"
Kyosuke: "It's possible."

Masaki: "So he was like Tenzan? He was just being used?"
Lune: "Maybe... but the things he did were horrible. Even he knew that..."

Kyosuke: "In the end, Ingram's left it to us. Our burden is to see this fight brought to an end."

Ryusei: "Understood. You're really strong, Kyosuke."
Kyosuke: "No, I'm just too slow to think about these things."

:eng101:The special Viletta-kills-Ingram dialogue has a similar general tone to the orignal, but is more specific about how Ingram was being controlled by an external force and, as such, this was his only escape. References to the mysterious "Gozzo" and Ingram's use of the Hebrew nefesh ("soul") are new. I'll get into this a bit more in a couple updates when the game is over, although it's still a source of much :psyduck: for fans all the same.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 6, 2015

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Man, I never got enough to make an Ability Down level 3 in my OG1 play. I don't think I got enough even in my OG2 play, though I'm not as sure about that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Granted, if we hadn't deployed Radha, or if Russell hadn't learned SP Regen way back, it would've been a very different story. But one high-HP boss isn't an insurmountable threat.

Banpresto will learn from this experience in OG2. :shepicide:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:suicide:

No, seriously whoever thinks "Higher HP Amounts = Increased Difficulty" on the OG dev team needs to be punched in the dick with a Jet Magnum. Repeatedly. To give an example: an endgame OG2 boss has about 60,000 more HP than in their origin game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think everyone reaches that one mission in OG2 where you've just gotten through this really intense battle and then you see the only enemies on the map and go "Nope" and just turn off the game. OG2's goal is not to beat you with difficulty but through tedium. Which is a shame because in all other ways gameplay wise it's a big improvement.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

AradoBalanga posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:suicide:

No, seriously whoever thinks "Higher HP Amounts = Increased Difficulty" on the OG dev team needs to be punched in the dick with a Jet Magnum. Repeatedly. To give an example: an endgame OG2 boss has about 60,000 more HP than in their origin game.

I can think of worse offenders, though they're further down the line. loving Perfectio.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Hey, it could be worse. You could set up an 8-unit doomstack, all set to kick the boss' teeth in, only to have the computer say "oh hey, nice combo you have there, sure would be a shame if only one of them was actually allowed to make their attack, wouldn't it" and then you throw your DS across the room.

why yes i was just playing endless frontier, how did you guess

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

Hey, it could be worse. You could set up an 8-unit doomstack, all set to kick the boss' teeth in, only to have the computer say "oh hey, nice combo you have there, sure would be a shame if only one of them was actually allowed to make their attack, wouldn't it" and then you throw your DS across the room.

why yes i was just playing endless frontier, how did you guess

Well there's your problem. Endless Frontier is a pretty terrible game, gameplay wise. I don't know what they were thinking with Project X Zone combining that with turn-based strategy.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Well there's your problem. Endless Frontier is a pretty terrible game, gameplay wise. I don't know what they were thinking with Project X Zone combining that with turn-based strategy.

It's because Project X Zone is almost the exact same system as Namco x Capcom, which became the basis for Endless Frontier and was everything you hate about Super Robot Wars turned into an action SRPG.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Off-topic, Project X Zone was one of the most frustrating games I've ever played, and the major plot twist at the end was so fantastically retarded I swore off playing any of those EF/X Zone games ever again.

I'm really digging Ingram's background. It seems like a lot's missing, though. Is it an Alpha thing or will OG2 (the OGs version) delve more into this?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Hunter Noventa posted:

While Endless Frontier had a lot of issues, there were at least some gameplay things behind it you could predict and game to a limited extent. Plus the turn interrupts and cancels happened most frequently occurred because you didn't juggle the enemy well enough and they hit the ground. Some end game bosses did just have flat out gently caress you interrupts, which were undeniably a little annoying.

Endless Frontier 2 actually managed to refine the system a bit and showed you the enemy's special gauge, as well as giving you skills to manipulate it. But it never came out in English and was just as shameless as the first game was.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Digital Jello posted:

I'm really digging Ingram's background. It seems like a lot's missing, though. Is it an Alpha thing or will OG2 (the OGs version) delve more into this?

Ingram was originally the hero (one of them, you could play Viletta instead) from Super Hero Operation, a Kamen Rider/Ultraman/assorted sentai mashup.

He was brought back and expanded for Alpha, which (as mentioned earlier) was basically an SRW Greatest Hits game and sort of a precursor to the OG games. This is where the Ingram-as-unwilling-yet-glorious-villain element came in. Alpha and OG cover roughly the same material, and again, I'll be getting into this once OG1 is done.

When Alpha 3 rolled around, Banpresto introduced another character with a major story connection to Ingram. In the Original Generations remake, this other character gets referenced once on each route in a dream sequence after Ingram's defection (don't remember offhand which missions, just check the beginning of the updates. It's not very revelatory beyond the OMG IT'S THAT GUY factor for people who played Alpha 3.) It's a safe bet that we'll be seeing him in a larger capacity at some point before the OG Saga is officially concluded.

I'm debating whether to discuss Alpha 3 in my post-OG1 writeup. It's sort of spoilery, but I have a feeling that I should anyway since OGs was written with people who had already played the Alphas in mind.

quote:

unkind words about endless frontier

I will fight you all IRL. :mad:

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 6, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Please do explain the whole Ingram nonsense once you're done with either OG1 or OGs. It confuses the hell out of me, as a person who has not played the Alpha games, nor would get much out of them since they're in a language I can't read.

That said goodbye Ingram, you were a terrible person, but you were also brainwashed and working to strengthen humanity for the days to come so I guess you weren't terrible. Sort of. It's confusing. You sure as hell were the personification of :smug: though, now and forever.

Also Seyser Koze, you called Elzam "Gilliam" after pairing him up with Radha for Fury -> Armor Down shenanigans. Which, by the way, might be my single favourite way to use Fury in OG1. Not in OG2 though, but all in due time...

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I didn't play the first Endless Frontier, but I played the untranslated second one (with Aredy and Neige as the heroes). It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, and every enemy encounter felt like they were punching bags (the music was kick-rear end though).

I'm really curious about Ingram's role in Alpha now. See, Alpha was one of the series I never got to play because I couldn't find a translation for them anywhere. I have a fairly good grasp of the plot due to other SRW games' references to it (particularly Gaia Saviour), but drat, I need to get back into these.

edit: removed a sentence regarding EF because I felt it might be a little too spoilery, even with tags.

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 6, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Digital Jello posted:

I didn't play the first Endless Frontier, but I played the untranslated second one (with Aredy and Neige as the heroes). It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, and every enemy encounter felt like they were punching bags (the music was kick-rear end though).

I'm really curious about Ingram's role in Alpha now. See, Alpha was one of the series I never got to play because I couldn't find a translation for them anywhere. I have a fairly good grasp of the plot due to other SRW games' references to it (particularly Gaia Saviour), but drat, I need to get back into these.

edit: removed a sentence regarding EF because I felt it might be a little too spoilery, even with tags.

Well in the Alpha games, the idea is "What if instead of blowing Bian off about Divine Crusaders we actually listened to him since the Macross crashed into the planet and ended the One Year War?" In this universe, the SRX team is subordinate to the Divine Crusaders, Rob is also a DC member, and Ingram is the team leader. The Balmarians are actually at earth in FORCE however, rather than a collection of brainwashed humans and Ingram. In much the same way, Ingram betrays the SRX team, because he's being controlled by forces beyond his own power. However this time instead of upgrading his R-Gun? He creates the Astranagant

Which is a combination of the Cybuster, the Valsione R And at least two other machines that don't exist in OG. Regardless he serves his trolling self to force humanity to grow stronger once more, though in this case it's because they have to fight the Angels, the STMC, all other manner of angels and other insane fucks coming to end earth.

Regardless you can recruit Ingram back in the final chapter, where he comes to his senses and asks Ryusei "Is it that time again?" and is happy to see him. He then dies, because Ingrams role in the story is passing on his will to the SRX team and training humanity to be able to fight back.

Honestly Alpha has some amazing moments, like during the End of Eva scenario where the Federation threatens to launch nukes around the world if Londo Bell (the protagonists) get involved in the attack on Nerv. Then Shu Shirakawa is just "That's cute, you think you can do things."

Because of course since you're working on the side of the DC, Shu is on your side, so is Masaki!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Onmi posted:

Well in the Alpha games, the idea is "What if instead of blowing Bian off about Divine Crusaders we actually listened to him since the Macross crashed into the planet and ended the One Year War?"

They completely forget about this conceit after Alpha Gaiden, which for my money is one of the bigger missed opportunities in Alpha. (the other is the lack of Giant Robo past Alpha 1, but they couldn't do much about that one) And at no point does Bian jump in his Valsion and actually fight to protect the Earth. It's super lame.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

They completely forget about this conceit after Alpha Gaiden, which for my money is one of the bigger missed opportunities in Alpha. (the other is the lack of Giant Robo past Alpha 1, but they couldn't do much about that one) And at no point does Bian jump in his Valsion and actually fight to protect the Earth. It's super lame.

that's because he's been MIA since Alpha 1 around Jupiter.

He finally shows up in Alpha 3 and spoilers, Bian Zoldark is exactly how Ryusei pinned him. A giant mecha nerd.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Question.

If you're going to have a cliffhanger before the final battle, is it better to have it before the villain's expository speech, or before the actual fight begins?

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
It's better not to have a cliffhanger at all! :v:

Kidding aside I'm going to have to go with Before the fight actually begins. Always fits better in my opinion.
Also chiming in to say gently caress More HP=More difficulty, MX Portable suffered from this so hard, to the point I had to quit because everything was so drat tedious.
And that's not getting into the Early OG2nd bosses and destroying them being so drat difficult especially when they retreated when they had 45K HP, when you do not have access to Valor. Doable, but tedious all the same.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Onmi posted:

that's because he's been MIA since Alpha 1 around Jupiter.

He finally shows up in Alpha 3 and spoilers, Bian Zoldark is exactly how Ryusei pinned him. A giant mecha nerd.

He shows up for like three lines. It's like they suddenly remembered "oh right, this guy was like, important or something" and just jammed him in there. (meanwhile his daughter his disappeared into the ether)

We knew Ryusei was right ever since the Valsione showed up anyway.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Seyser Koze posted:

I will fight you all IRL. :mad:

Look I like the gameplay of the Endless Saga games, and they have neat crossover and cameo elements...but they are shamelessly fanservicey and unrepentant about this. There is simply no escaping this fact.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

HiKaizer posted:

Look I like the gameplay of the Endless Saga games, and they have neat crossover and cameo elements...but they are shamelessly fanservicey and unrepentant about this. There is simply no escaping this fact.

I would counter that they are less fanservice-y than most of the SRW games (or at least the one's I've played) in a way. OG1 here for instance simply has fanservice at random intervals because that is what is done. Endless Frontier has fanservice because... it realizes how goddamned gratuitous the fanservice is in SRW games, and wants to poke fun at it. It's sufficiently exaggerated to scan as satire, at least for me.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

@Omni
That actually clears things up a bit. It sounds like Ingram's character wasn't changed, it was just dumbed down a little due to not having the usual 3 dozen mecha animes intervening in the Divine Crusader war.

I always thought EF made fun of the fanservice bits rather than re-emphasized them. Again, I can't speak for the first one, but in the second one, you play a not-overly-bright, muscle-headed oaf (Aredy) who treks around with some busty elf princess (Neige) and continually gains companions who are amusingly bad anime stereotypes, starting from the playboy bounty hunter (Haken I think is his name?) and all the bimbo princesses that accompany him. It's like it's intentionally trying to be as absurd as possible. And just like the mainstream SRW, it's mandatory to make fun of each other, from outrageous outfits to equally ridiculous personalities.

edit: CmdrKing beat me to it

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 6, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Digital Jello posted:

@Omni
That actually clears things up a bit. It sounds like Ingram's character wasn't changed, it was just dumbed down a little due to not having the usual 3 dozen mecha animes intervening in the Divine Crusader war.

From what little I know of Alpha, Ingram's character wasn't changed, but the situation is mildly different in OG since as far as anyone knows, there's no visible actual Balmarians around.

It makes me incredibly sad that the Astranagant doesn't seem to exist in OGverse, as well, if for no other reason than what it leads to. Well, that and the fact that it keeps up Ingram's nerdy motif of naming things after guns far better than just making something based off of the R-GUN.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

CmdrKing posted:

I would counter that they are less fanservice-y than most of the SRW games (or at least the one's I've played) in a way. OG1 here for instance simply has fanservice at random intervals because that is what is done. Endless Frontier has fanservice because... it realizes how goddamned gratuitous the fanservice is in SRW games, and wants to poke fun at it. It's sufficiently exaggerated to scan as satire, at least for me.

I would agree, but it is still utterly shameless none the less. Kaguya Nanbu comes to mind especially, and yes if people have been paying attention that is the same last name as Kyosuke. And she's 'the Sanger' of Endless Frontier!

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

I would agree, but it is still utterly shameless none the less. Kaguya Nanbu comes to mind especially, and yes if people have been paying attention that is the same last name as Kyosuke. And she's 'the Sanger' of Endless Frontier!

And Haken is basicly a taste of what Kyosuke and Excellen's children will be like. Well he is Excellen's son. Kinda, sorta, in a way

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

On that note, are Balmarians just humans from another world? Do we ever actually see a real one? The only one I've seen is Euzeth Gozzo, and he's wearing a mask.

My ignorance may be showing, especially since I've played a wide variety of the series, but Alpha always eluded me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Digital Jello posted:

On that note, are Balmarians just humans from another world?

You could honestly say that to a lot of degrees. The biology is the more or less the same and I think they mention Balmar even having an identical (or close to identical) atmosphere to Earth. I'm pretty sure there's differences, but I never got enough from Alpha to know for sure, so most of my info is gleaned from plot discussions and wikis.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
In Alpha 3 they do make a point of discussing how unlikely it is that multiple human-like races (Earthlings, Balmarians, Boazans, the Zentraedi, the Baff Clan, etc.) would evolve in distant parts of the galaxy by chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

You could honestly say that to a lot of degrees. The biology is the more or less the same and I think they mention Balmar even having an identical (or close to identical) atmosphere to Earth. I'm pretty sure there's differences, but I never got enough from Alpha to know for sure, so most of my info is gleaned from plot discussions and wikis.

Massive spoilers all the way up to the Alpha 3 plot: Pretty sure Balmerians are just a different strain of humans. If I recall correctly it goes back to the whole thing with Augustus (first psychodriver, later becomes Keisar Ephes) and when he died Nashem Gan Eden traveled through the galaxy and eventually brought humanity to Earth. It's all little more complicated in Alpha 3 where they have more aliens hanging around (Zendradi, Buff Clan, STMC) and I think it's related to the Protoculture in some way, I forget. Either way, Balmerians are straight up the same thing as humans, and I think it's either stated or implied heavily so are the other humanoid aliens we'll be meeting. At very least, every single psychodriver is a descendant of Augustus. Now, this might all get changed in OG because things are clearly very different here, but I'm pretty sure the basics will stay the same. So for now, please treat this as spoilers for what we haven't seen in OG at all.

I wish SRW would do original, non-humanoid aliens more often. It's a cartoon, you don't have to limit yourself to what the makeup guys can do.

• Locked thread