Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Repster posted:

There's at least a dozen factions that have major influence on the plot. Some of those being pretty minor, but still there. It gets kinda crazy, yeah.

I'm only aware of like seven at the most, counting the playable characters as the same "faction", so yeah. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Looking at the Original generations soundtrack, it seems my favorite map theme is gone. Bummer. :(

It does seem to be back in OGG, except crappy now. It was also used in MX, Compact and Impact, although I think the OG2 gba version is better (actually, I find the gba soudntracks better overall than their versions in the PS2 remake, strangely). Here's the Impact version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zd0fwMq7V0

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, what a start. Deception and betrayal from the word go.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ok so i've never played the remix OG2 only the first one so this is kinda new...

I Blame Gilliam for this as well

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

Personally, the Impact track I most want in an OG game is Program For Victory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDFtaOUQ5xU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 2

Here comes the new intermission screen, same as the old intermission screen. Of note is our cash total. Since I continued directly from my clear of OG1, I get to carry over 25% of the money I earned throughout my OG1 playthrough. This is from Kyosuke's route, since I wrapped that one up second. I think he had more capital ships etc. to kill throughout the game, anyway.

Anyway, on with the mad experiments. At the suggestion of a couple of people I'm putting all of the scenes in a single lpix page this time around, so we'll see how that works.

Scenes (lpix)

quote:

Intro

Raul and Fiona make it back to the Ladybird in one piece. Since there are clearly enemies roaming the area, Raji decides to play it safe and send out an unmanned drone to scout while they keep a low profile.

Privately, Raul and Fiona discuss the Excellence and its experimental Time Flow Engine, figuring that's why the DCs want the unit - if it's perfected, it could allow the Excellence to jump through time and space. Only two people knew about its full potential, though: Helios Olympus at Tesla and Lemon Browning from the Federation.

Enemies find the transport, and it's fighting time again; the unknown fighters are waiting for "the captain" to arrive.

Mission 2: A Wrinkle in Time

Another no-brainer objective; three turns to get the mastery this time around.

The Ladybird is on the map this time, although hardly a unit of interest to us. It's basically equivalent to the Tausendfussler.

We're up against a new unit this time: four Sorpresa fighters. They have better accuracy and dodge rates than the Gespensts (this is with Focus). Raul's Strike spirit makes hitting them easy, though.

Really easy.

Fiona manages not to kill one, though. :argh:

On the first turn the enemies actually ignore us completely; on the second they just ignore Fiona and go after Raul exclusively.

But hey, that means that on turn 3, Raul has enough morale to use the Excellence Striker's ultimate attack.

Raul is a Ryusei in training. That was worth all those pictures. :thumbsup:

But it's not a dynamic finish. :psyduck:

:toot:

quote:

Closing

Raul and Fiona are about to head back when they're ambushed by Axel, who takes Fiona out with a surprise attack. He tells Raul to surrender the Excellences, promising to spare their lives. At Raji's urging, Raul is about to comply, but a strange flying object takes that moment to appear. In response to its arrival, the time turbines on both Excellence units start to spin up on their own.

Raul tries to take the opportunity to rescue his sister; Axel moves to disable him, but Fiona suddenly intervenes and takes a second hit, critically damaging her mech. Her engine overloads, and in a sudden flash of light, both Excellences, the transport, and the UFO vanish without trace.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I can't help but wonder why these missions are in OG2 and not in OGG. They're not relevant to the plot of this game in the slightest (aside from maybe a few namedrops), and could be easily summed up in a single mission or a few lines of dialogue.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
What a waste of a perfectly good redhead. Am I allowed to ask if Fiona has shown back up in 2nd OG or not? I want her instead of Raul.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Dr. Snark posted:

I can't help but wonder why these missions are in OG2 and not in OGG. They're not relevant to the plot of this game in the slightest (aside from maybe a few namedrops), and could be easily summed up in a single mission or a few lines of dialogue.

Setup that should be pretty obvious if you've played OG2. Like I said, they're hooking onto the A plot.

vibratingsheep posted:

What a waste of a perfectly good redhead. Am I allowed to ask if Fiona has shown back up in 2nd OG or not? I want her instead of Raul.

More properly, you should be asking about OGG.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

She's got a robot that can jump through time and space. She'll definitely be back. Either to save the day at a dramatic moment or to turn out to turn up later captured (or mind-controlled) by the enemies.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 11, 2015

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I think you need a bit more of a gap between the end of the Opening and the start of the Closing part (throw a few extra line breaks in), I managed to completely miss the changeover. :downs: A second link to it when you get to the Closing part probably wouldn't go amiss either, just in case someone finds the Opening summary uninteresting but there's something more important in the Closing.

Other than that, I prefer the "all in one" style for the opening/ending text. Looking forward to OG2.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Does it count as a fridging if neither the dead woman or the real hero man show up again?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I prefer having the scenes split up at their appropriate spots in the post. It's a lot easier to follow.

Also gently caress off, Axel Almer. I'm glad the remake at least hasn't changed how much of a dumbass he is.

So... when does OG2 actually start?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wounded Land posted:

Does it count as a fridging if neither the dead woman or the real hero man show up again?

No because both of them show back up with new robots.

Also because they're literally the same character, they're from Super Robot Wars Reversal, where you picked the gender of your protagonist. OG just decided to turn them into twins.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd say the best way to go would be to have separate posts for the opening and ending. Splitting into scenes is optional, but having everything together is kind of a mess, at least separate them when the gameplay starts.

Also there's a lot of setup here for things that happen in completely separate games. I'm not sure if to praise Banpresto for linking everything so well, or complain of how filler-ish it feels. Oh well, they're short missions anyways.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

While making the R originals connected to the A plot (even if only very, very slightly) was interesting, I kind of wish they went with how R played out in its own game. The R originals came from a world where Zambot 3 ended like it did in the TV show, Char's Counterattack and Nadesico: Prince of Darkness were on their doorstep, and everything else was poo poo. So, via interference from Mystery Space Brain, they jump back in time to around the time of Zeta Gundam/Nadesico TV where everything is slightly better. Raul/Fiona decide to well, meddle in the past to fix the future so it doesn't suck.

But yeah, these two stages could have easily been moved to OG Gaiden with little to no impact on the plot of OG2, even with all the plot rewrites.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AradoBalanga posted:

While making the R originals connected to the A plot (even if only very, very slightly) was interesting, I kind of wish they went with how R played out in its own game. The R originals came from a world where Zambot 3 ended like it did in the TV show, Char's Counterattack and Nadesico: Prince of Darkness were on their doorstep, and everything else was poo poo. So, via interference from Mystery Space Brain, they jump back in time to around the time of Zeta Gundam/Nadesico TV where everything is slightly better. Raul/Fiona decide to well, meddle in the past to fix the future so it doesn't suck.

But yeah, these two stages could have easily been moved to OG Gaiden with little to no impact on the plot of OG2, even with all the plot rewrites.

Well everything must be eaten by the gigantic plot tumor that is the A plot in this game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wait, that line about these guys not being seen again wasn't a joke? The R originals don't actually show up in this game again?

That's weird, and pretty drat pointless. And they had good themes too. :(

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

AradoBalanga posted:

Well...where else in OG were you going to find a world where everything had gone to poo poo?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait, that line about these guys not being seen again wasn't a joke? The R originals don't actually show up in this game again?

That's weird, and pretty drat pointless. And they had good themes too. :(

Well they weren't originally in OG2 and they basically are setting up for the next game in line, Original Generation Gaiden.

As well... well... Banpresto doesn't see the R-Originals as that important To the point they weren't showing up in OG2nd until people were clamoring for where the gently caress they were. So they threw a support unit together for them to share

Which is a shame. R has one of the better plots of the GBA games, along with D.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

Well everything must be eaten by the gigantic plot tumor that is the A plot in this game.
You forgot about the other big tumor, Impact's plot. That tumor is equally massive.

Also, 2nd OGs was less "people begged for the R Originals to show up" and more "Okay, we're at 75% finished, did we forget anything important? Oh gently caress, we forgot the R Originals, throw them in quickly!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Well they weren't originally in OG2 and they basically are setting up for the next game in line, Original Generation Gaiden.

As well... well... Banpresto doesn't see the R-Originals as that important To the point they weren't showing up in OG2nd until people were clamoring for where the gently caress they were. So they threw a support unit together for them to share

Which is a shame. R has one of the better plots of the GBA games, along with D.

Now i'm confused about something else entirely. There's a game called OG2nd which is completely different from OG2? That sounds incredibly confusing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

You forgot about the other big tumor, Impact's plot. That tumor is equally massive.

Also, 2nd OGs was less "people begged for the R Originals to show up" and more "Okay, we're at 75% finished, did we forget anything important? Oh gently caress, we forgot the R Originals, throw them in quickly!"

Yeah, basically two big plot tumors met and did the tango to create OG2, and pretty much every other plot in the game is more interesting and not nearly touched upon unless you follow the route splits away from those main characters

But that said, OG2 is still good, and the remake did a lot to clean up a big problem such as.... Axel not being a massive absolute oval office.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Now i'm confused about something else entirely. There's a game called OG2nd which is completely different from OG2? That sounds incredibly confusing.

It makes sense kinda. This is Original Generations, usually shortened to OGS, consisting of Original Generation 1 and 2 or OG1 and OG2. SRW OG1 and SRW OG2, notably, are named that way in Japanese as well. Beyond that, there's Original Generation Gaiden or OGG, and then there's the 2nd SRW OG, going by how these games are named in Japanese. It's usually shortened to OG2nd.

It's just how these games are titled. SRW Alpha, the Second SRW Alpha, and the Third SRW Alpha. For English fans, it's easier to just call it Alpha 2 and Alpha 3. You see it with the Z series as well, with 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3.2. It'd be a pain to call them by their proper names, which denotes part 1 and 2 with a chapter title. The OG games get confusing here because there's remakes for them and there's enough differences in the plot and mechanics to consider them separate.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Okay so. The original generation series started with Original Generation 1, followed by Original Generation 2. They were combined into Original Generations (the game we're playing now). Further, the sequel to this is "Original Generation Gaiden" and the sequel is "The Second Super Robot War, Original Generation" or OG2nd.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It is kind of lame for Banpresto to add more scenes of female characters getting taken hsotage, even if it's short lived. :sigh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

It is kind of lame for Banpresto to add more scenes of female characters getting taken hsotage, even if it's short lived. :sigh:

You will come to discover that Banpresto only has about three plotlines for female characters. They are "evil but turns to the good side" "Brainwashed to be evil, needs to be rescued" and "held hostages, needs to be rescued."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

You will come to discover that Banpresto only has about three plotlines for female characters. They are "evil but turns to the good side" "Brainwashed to be evil, needs to be rescued" and "held hostages, needs to be rescued."

you know except for all those protagonist females, like Ibis and Setsuko and Selena and Lamia and-

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Onmi posted:

you know except for all those protagonist females, like Ibis and Setsuko and Selena and Lamia and-

Ooh, I agree here. Banpresto may have plenty of helpless damsels, but they have more than enough badass heroines to even things out. I gotta add Ariel Org and Calvina to that list too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Banpresto hasn't had a decent new heroine since, what, 2009? I think that's when SRW Z came out. And they've been doing their level best to make older characters suck too. RIP Kusuha and Lamia.

Really though, all of Banpresto's originals have just been boring for a while. It's sort of a shame.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Onmi posted:

That argument would work if it was sort-of equal for both men and women. It isn't. Girls get kidnapped/brainwashed/killed/etc. way more than boys. For no adequate reason.

And since Z we haven't had a new girl MC, just love interests. That's weak.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007

Argas posted:

It's just how these games are titled. SRW Alpha, the Second SRW Alpha, and the Third SRW Alpha. For English fans, it's easier to just call it Alpha 2 and Alpha 3. You see it with the Z series as well, with 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3.2. It'd be a pain to call them by their proper names, which denotes part 1 and 2 with a chapter title. The OG games get confusing here because there's remakes for them and there's enough differences in the plot and mechanics to consider them separate.

Though if you go by the opening movies for the games, they are in fact called Alpha II, Alpha III and OG II: The Gaia Savers. The whole "The Numbereth Title" thing is replicating the Japanese names for World War I & II. :eng101: I'm sure if they cared about making things less confusing for outside markets they would've just called it OG 3.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

That argument would work if it was sort-of equal for both men and women. It isn't. Girls get kidnapped/brainwashed/killed/etc. way more than boys. For no adequate reason.

And since Z we haven't had a new girl MC, just love interests. That's weak.

I didn't argue they're all equal though. BrainAmp said those are the only 3 plot lines, they aren't. Whether they are the majority of plotlines is irrelevant to my statement.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't think it was that bad this time since even though she gets shot down immediately she still ends up saving her brother. And her blowing up comes off more as a heroic sacrifice more than anything.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

MarsDragon posted:

More properly, you should be asking about OGG.

Ugh. Fighter Roa makes my gums ache. Something about that suit/pilot/voice telling him to do everything combo makes my teeth itch.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Strike one against the OG2 remake: It nukes Fiona early to leave us with Raul, the worse character. Which is a shame because otherwise the remake does a pretty decent job of patching up some of OG2's other issues.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Strike one against the OG2 remake: It nukes Fiona early to leave us with Raul, the worse character. Which is a shame because otherwise the remake does a pretty decent job of patching up some of OG2's other issues.

Okay I'm not going to pretend I've played the remake and know this but I'm pretty sure Raul doesn't show up until the end anyway.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Wow, second stage and Axel is already acting like a horrible person. And he is supposed to be the good guy in his universe I think

Anyway, something I wanted to say about Axel's little exposition from the first part: He kinda spoils a little more then just one character there...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Onmi posted:

Okay I'm not going to pretend I've played the remake and know this but I'm pretty sure Raul doesn't show up until the end anyway.

I'll keep it vague because a lot haven't played the remakes/OGG either: Fiona stays out of the story twice as long as Raul does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

Some of the ones you include on that list are real funny for reasons I can't say for spoilers.

Regardless, I'm speaking mostly of OG here, since female protagonists by necessity get to do stuff in their own games. OG is far far worse about them.

We just haven't had a female lead since Setsuko.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 11, 2015

• Locked thread