Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 4

:eng101: Like the Divine Wars title card from the remade OG1, this was added for the remake.

Because the White Star didn't look enough like the Death Star already.

Anyway, it's that time again. Opening text crawl!

quote:

It is the close of the year 187 of the Space Era. Half a year has passed since the DC War to suppress the Divine Crusaders' rebellion against the Federation, and the final battle of the L5 Campaign against the aliens known as the Aerogaters.

With many of its leaders dead and its central organization in disarray following the conflict, the Federal government was forced to restructure. Brian Midcrid, president of the colonial union, was appointed president of the Federation.

In his first address, the Tokyo Declaration, the truth of the L5 Campaign was made public before the Federal Senate. The existence of sentient extraterrestrial life was now officially acknowledged - along with the threat it could pose to humanity.

Sharply criticizing the disunity within the Earth sphere, Midcrid went on to announce the Aegis Plan: an organizational reform of the Federation military, and an increase in the production of arms. A cornerstone of this initiative was the increased development and mass production of humanoid mobile weapons.

But some continue to scheme in secret.

Remnants of Bian Zoldark's organization, the Divine Crusaders, who eye the Federation disarray and see opportunity.
The Shadows, who have made contact with them.
And a mysterious group of organisms - the Einst.

Humanity is only drawn further into the vortex of chaos...

Um, narrator. You forgot somebody. They're right there in the title. :eng99:

Intro

quote:

Kai is in Washington with Rai and Latooni to attend a conference on the upcoming military reforms, mostly centered around which mech will become the mainstay of the Federation army. They run into Rio and Ryoto, here with Yuan on Mao Industries' behalf. From here Kai and the others will be headed to Langley to screen for new Aggressor candidates; Rio and Ryoto tag along in hopes of getting to say hi to Kusuha again.

Meanwhile, a weapons testing laboratory has been seized by unknown fighters equipped with a handful of Lions - a bad enough problem even before considering that Kusuha was on the site to collect Grungust data. The ATX team goes to do their thing, but is intercepted by a squad of Lions - more than the intel had said - on the way.

Mission 4: Is Your Usefulness At An End?

We actually have a hard time limit of four turns to clear out the enemies on this stage, or it's game over. For the mastery, we need to do it in three.

And we're back to our beloved ATX team. The game has taken Excellen's lead and officially placed Kyosuke in the Alteisen Nacht - which, as he already acknowledged, is just the Alt with a blue coat of paint. Meanwhile, Excellen and Bullet are in the now-familiar Weissritter and Huckebein Mk. II.

Also of note is that the Alt begins with Trump Card and the Weiss begins with Oxtongue D - meaning we can use Rampage Ghost from the outset. :getin:

Up against us are the aforementioned eight Lions in Japanese love-love formation. We know how this works.

Kyosuke, do what you do.

I missed this.

Excellen has a pretty serious problem. With no upgrades yet, this is the best dodge rate the Weiss can get, and that's after Focusing. And unlike Kyosuke, Excellen can't one-shot enemies after moving.

Phew. Normally it's Kyosuke who does the gambling, but you'll be relying on luck a bit to get Excellen through this.

Bullet has it even worse, because he starts with Strike instead of Focus. His other starting spirit is Grit, though, so he has a safety net when things go sour. It is a bit disturbing that if you factor Focus into it, the Huckster has better evasion than the Weissritter.

Bullet! :argh:

Once again, Bullet doesn't have a theme of his own. In OG1, the generic pilot track was Born to Fight; in the original OG2, Born to Fight became Latooni's theme specifically. Now Latooni has Brass Devotion Beat and Beat, so Born to Fight is just buried.

Now, the generic OG2 track is the same as in the original. It also includes the words "Danger Zone" in the title, which pretty much makes it objectively better than Born to Fight.

On the enemy phase Excellen gets to shine a bit more, since she can bring out the Oxtongue Launcher and start properly one-shotting enemies. She gets hit twice, though.

But it's sufficient to leave us with three (she kills three and Kyosuke stakes another one). Now it's Bullet's turn, and yes, I'm going to give Bullet lots of turns, because there's a secret that requires him to pump his kill count.

For Christ's sake, Bullet. Crit something! :argh:

But unexpectedly he redeems himself on the enemy phase, dodging the next two attacks and counter-killing the enemies.

And when the last guy attacks, his morale is high enough that the Huck's barrier completely absorbs the hit, and he can bring out the G-Impact Cannon for some proper ATX overkill. You'll do all right, Bullet.

Maybe.

:toot:

With the enemies eliminated, the team heads for the testing ground.

Closing

quote:

The ATX team moves ahead to the facility, where Lorenzo di Montegnacco is monitoring the startup of something called the Type CF. Bullet spots Kusuha among a group of hostages being moved across the campus, with only a single Guarlion standing guard. He rushes in, but the Guarlion's pilot Kenzo Murata is equipped with a Shishioh Blade and makes short work of him; Murata then says that he expected more from a disciple of Sanger Zonvolt.

Kai reports to Langley's new commander Kenneth Garrett, who immediately orders him to go finish the job the ATX team started. Kai realizes that Kenneth is just using him to avoid committing his own troops, but has no choice but to obey. When Rio and Ryoto hear of what's happened, they insist on coming along to help. Kai eventually agrees, allowing them to use the MP Huckebeins they'd brought for the Aggressor candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
So I forget when we first found out Beowulf had a blue Alt, but I think it was a around the time this game came out. So I'm pretty sure the Alt being blue here is really just a bit of misdirection in hopes people would mistake the blue Alt for the Gespenst Mk III and freak out. (if you go back and check what Beowulf's ride really looks like though, you'll see it's got some other differences besides being blue: the claymore launchers are a big one)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I cannot believe that Kusuha has already been captured by the enemy. Before the first mission actually started even.

So, is this still not the actual start of OG2? Because while this seems like a better start then the first few actual mission I think some people in the thread were saying that there was still a couple maps of extra stuff left to go. So if that's the case where did the stuff for this map come from? I'm interested in hearing what the reasons were for any changes in this remake, they've been pretty interesting so far.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Murata, Lorenzo, and the other things introduced here are all original to OG and are just here to be more set-up for OGG. I guess they wanted to get all the foreshadowing out of the way early?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So, is this still not the actual start of OG2? Because while this seems like a better start then the first few actual mission I think some people in the thread were saying that there was still a couple maps of extra stuff left to go. So if that's the case where did the stuff for this map come from? I'm interested in hearing what the reasons were for any changes in this remake, they've been pretty interesting so far.

Missions 1 and 2 (with the R originals) and missions 4 and 5 (with Lorenzo) are seeding a couple of plot threads for OG Gaiden. This business with the testing facility being captured also gives some early development for OG2 politics that will become clearer as things unfold.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

And here we see the start of Power Creep.

Everybody in OG2 starts with what they ended OG1 with, and you know there will be more upgrades to come.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like it was a huge waste of a character to kill Bian Zoldark so early in the first game. Even so, hsi shadow contineus to haunt the world in the form of the Neo-Neo-Neo-Neo-DC.

You know what would be cool? If Bian showed up in the next OG game, with sunglasses to hide hsi dentity, acting like a weird mix between Master Asia and Quattro. Why didn,t he show up before? Well, his plan was all about making sure there would be people storng enoguh to defeat the invaders! You don't just jeopardize that by showing up!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Dr Pepper posted:

And here we see the start of Power Creep.

Everybody in OG2 starts with what they ended OG1 with, and you know there will be more upgrades to come.

It is glorious.

Is there a commonly accepted most-powerful robot in SRW canon?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Murata, Lorenzo, etc. were introduced in a series of SRW OG books with a manga segment and AFAIK, they were more or less adapted into the game with said events depicted.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It is glorious.

Plotwise my guess would probably be Cybuster, which at full strength can rewrite reality so that its enemy never existed.

Mechanics-wise it's almost guaranteed to be the eventual SRX upgrade.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the one with Banpresto's Logo as it's head.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seyser Koze posted:

Plotwise my guess would probably be Cybuster, which at full strength can rewrite reality so that its enemy never existed.

Huh..... I imagine we never get to use it as a unit at its full strength then.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

So I forget when we first found out Beowulf had a blue Alt, but I think it was a around the time this game came out. So I'm pretty sure the Alt being blue here is really just a bit of misdirection in hopes people would mistake the blue Alt for the Gespenst Mk III and freak out. (if you go back and check what Beowulf's ride really looks like though, you'll see it's got some other differences besides being blue: the claymore launchers are a big one)
Actually, the original OG2 has an "Alteisen Nacht" buried in the dummied-out content that can be used via cheat codes. And it works exactly like the regular Alteisen, minus access to Rampage Ghost, naturally. It even has the same Revolver Stake cutin that the Alt has, just recolored blue. I think it is supposed to be Beowulf's Gespenst Mk III, but I've never been able to really delve into OG2's code to confirm this.

(Note: Pictures are slightly cropped because...I forgot I had a spoiler character piloting this when I took them years ago. Whoops. :sweatdrop:)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Seyser Koze posted:

Isn't that also Dis Astranagant's thing, or am I misremembering what the explanation for what Infinity Cylinder/Ain Soph Aur actually is?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It is glorious.

Remember how we were talking about Time Divers and then I pointed out they don't exist by that name and it's hard to tell what's real because of all the bullshit rumours and people claiming they know Japanese? Yeah, that fucks with power level discussions hard.

Add on to that how often bosses will have The Most! Powerful! Robot! Everrrrrrrr!!!!! and then lose to the heroes anyway because they're the heroes. And that ties into the larger issue of stated powers vs in-game powers. It all makes it very difficult to get any sort of actual power list going.

I really haven't kept track of the recent info because I really don't care about power discussions. Last I checked it was all a bunch of robots we haven't seen yet and it's probably spoilers to talk about too much. There was some real bullshit to come out of Z3. The SRX upgrade is probably still up there and likely to get even better in OG, I think Full Possession Cybuster like Seyzer Koze was talking about has been disproven, the final W original might be on there....there's a lot of competition.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh..... I imagine we never get to use it as a unit at its full strength then.

You do, but not in any of the mainline SRW OG games. All of the crazier Masoukishin stuff is mostly stuck in OG Saga.

Talking about OG Saga reminds me of OG's batshit timeline. I think the main bits are:

OG Saga I (first part)
OGs
OG Gaiden
Endless Frontier EXCEED
Another Century's Episode R
2nd OGs
OG Saga I (second part)
OG Saga 2
OG Saga 3
OG Saga 4

With a bunch of minor stuff sprinkled in between, like the original Endless Frontier taking place during OG1 and Project X-Zone happening sometime after 2nd OGs. I think even Namco vs Capcom is in there, somewhere?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

In all honesty power levels don't really matter because SRW follows the Justice League method of handling power levels.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

BlitzBlast posted:

All of the crazier Masoukishin stuff is mostly stuck in OG Saga.

Please tell me they pull a Captain Planet at some point, with Shu inexplicably being Heart.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It is glorious.

Neo Granzon is my belief. It just seems the most impressive. (Hell it has the In universe nickname Granzon the cheater because of how powerful it is.)

Just look at this infact skip to 3:05 for the impressive stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqp3W-b12k

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 15, 2015

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Full Possession Cybuster is loving ridiculous. IIRC it was capable of oneshotting the final boss of the game it debuted in.

Not multi-turn shenanigans like the SRX is capable of. Literally doing so much damage with a single attack that the final boss just outright dies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's hard to settle on a most powerful original because a whole bunch of them have powers which amount to 'rewrite reality" or 'change the flow of time" or "literally make it so your enemy was never born" or whatever and once you reach that level regularly it's sort of hard to make a flat power level because does "I can rewrite reality' beat "I can alter the Akashic Record?" (of which more than one original can ALSO do that.)

In terms of mechanical power it's probably one of the Cybusters, one of the SRXes or maybe the Valzacard. Basically if you got a lot of pilots + a huge amount of damage you're probably gonna wreck face real hard so it comes down to how many spell pools you've got and how many broken sub-abilities you've got.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 15, 2015

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

GilliamYaeger posted:

Full Possession Cybuster is loving ridiculous. IIRC it was capable of oneshotting the final boss of the game it debuted in.

Not multi-turn shenanigans like the SRX is capable of. Literally doing so much damage with a single attack that the final boss just outright dies.

I actually just looked it up. Holy poo poo that's gorgeous.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

GilliamYaeger posted:

To be fair, with the broken Winkysoft damage formulas anything with enough power on its finisher can do that. I don't know if the SRX can do it in Shin, but I know it can one-shot the final boss in Alpha. (along with Dancougar and the super original. Alpha was a very broken game.)

Then they changed the formulas in @G and started giving the bosses way more HP so that didn't happen any more. (except they kept the old ones in Masoukishin for...continuity I guess?)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I really wanna play the Masoukishin games, but unlike SRW there's pretty much nothing on them.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

Repster posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the one with Banpresto's Logo as it's head.

You mean... Gundam? :v:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GilliamYaeger posted:

The SRX could do that in Alpha 1. Very appropriate given the animation for the Tronium Buster Cannon.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Dr Pepper posted:

In all honesty power levels don't really matter because SRW follows the Justice League method of handling power levels.

"We may not be able to take you down one-on-one, but all of us are gonna kick your loving rear end" ?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SorataYuy posted:

"We may not be able to take you down one-on-one, but all of us are gonna kick your loving rear end" ?

Bats and Supes are equally challenged by a random bozo in clown makeup and Darkseid.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Seeing Kusuha captured all the time is weird when you are playing Alpha 3 yourself....

On the other hand, Bullet needleesly and unsuccessfully trying to save Kusuha is par for the course even there.

Anyway, if new Federation assholes pop up everytime the last ones die, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad under Bian's rule...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realize "you fight with your emotions" probably has a different meaning, but now all I can imagine is a completely deadpan "i am sanger zonvolt, the sword that cleaves evil."

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Ashram posted:

Seeing Kusuha captured all the time is weird when you are playing Alpha 3 yourself....

On the other hand, Bullet needleesly and unsuccessfully trying to save Kusuha is par for the course even there.

Anyway, if new Federation assholes pop up everytime the last ones die, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad under Bian's rule...

Let's not pretend that Bian was any better in that regard. The dude made Adler Koch, a mad scientist who gleefully experimented on children, his right hand man.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i am a big fan of the samurai guarlion

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bian's plan would've been better if he had measures in place to deal with Adler and all the other malcontents he gathered under him. I mean, that was kind of his plan, gather a ton of people, good and bad. If he wins, he'll keep them in line. If he loses, they go down with him.

Except they didn't go down with him because they're not that stupid.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

The biggest problem with Bian's plan was that it was a suicide pact that killed the two people that would've been better off staying alive and where they were and didn't kill all the awful people they had under them. Imagine if the world's greatest export on EOT had helped out the SRX and attendant projects instead of dying for no good reason. Imagine a Valsion and Valsione combo attack. (Bian has never fought on the heroes' side even in Alpha where everyone was working for him and I am still mad about this)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MarsDragon posted:

Imagine a Valsion and Valsione combo attack.

Imagine the Valsion riding the Macht into battle like Tekkaman Blade.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
The thing to remember about Zoldark is that in his original game, his underlings were Paptimus Scirocco and Ghiren Zabi, which oughta give you a rough idea of the kind of people he trusts. (Shockingly, Dr. Hell was *not* in SRW2.)

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 5

Now that we have some robots that aren't going to vanish into the ether after two missions, time to spend some of that money we accumulated. The Weiss gets its desperately-needed mobility upgrade...

And then we get Rampage Ghost maxed out again. That eats up a significant chunk of our carryover cash by itself.

Intro

quote:

Following Bullet's defeat, Kyosuke and Excellen decide to recon from a distance. Before long they see Lorenzo activate the mech that was secretly being developed at the base: the Valsion CF. Lorenzo contacts them, warning them to keep their distance if they value the hostages' safety, and they settle in to wait.

Shortly thereafter Kai arrives with his crew; Rai recognizes Lorenzo as a former subordinate of his father's. By this point Bullet has found Kusuha's Grungust Type-2 and activated it, although it's not calibrated for his use and he's having a great deal of difficulty. This takes the enemy by surprise, and Bullet yells that he'll keep Murata occupied while everybody else moves in and focuses on the Valsion.

Mission 5: Is Your Usefulness At An End?

With the mission properly underway, we can see our real objectives, which are to eliminate everybody (LOL yeah right) within six turns. Losing anybody is a game-over, and the mastery is to take out everyone except Lorenzo and Murata by the sixth player phase.

For enemies we have half a dozen Lions, two Barrelions, two Guarlions, and two Landlions. And the two bosses, of course.

I'd show you their stats now, except that between OG1 and OG2 Latooni traded her Scan spirit for Alert. :sigh:

On our side we've got Kai in his Gespenst, Latooni in the Wildraubtier, and Rai, Ryoto, and Rio in the mass-produced Huckebein Mk. IIs. It doesn't look much like the Huckebein, probably because it's aping the GM or Nemo? I'm sure it's almost as impressive in combat, too.

We've also got Bullet in the Type-2... at 70 morale, and unable to move, with Murata just a few paces away from him. This will end well.

He pops Strike so that on the enemy phase he can accurately return fire on the Guarlion Mumyou, Murata's custom mech.

Murata: "This one isn't moving. His machine is malfunctioning... or perhaps he's just paralyzed by fear."
Bullet: "It's time... for some payback!"
Murata: "Regrettable. I'd hoped for a more taxing opponent."

Yeah, he shreds Bullet pretty good. Bullet gets a little of his own back, though. If he does about thirty or so more of those he'll be fine.

Even with his crap morale he's still able to oneshot the Lions on a crit.

Then Lorenzo takes an interest in him. I'll just have him block this time.

Oh, boy. So the Federation decided they were going to build a Valsion of their own, but realized that all the other Valsions before it had been destroyed. But the keen technical minds at their R&D department quickly realized what the Valsion was lacking: 6-digit HP.

They also decided it didn't look evil enough.

Ouch. The Valsion CF has one attack, and as you'd expect, it's Cross Smasher.

Bullet's getting his rear end roundly kicked, to his frustration. Murata sternly says that the mech's inability to move is the least of his problems; he's too fraught with emotion to wield his sword.

Bullet: ".....Please, Type-2. I need your strength. We have the same goal, don't we - to help Kusuha, your master! So help me beat that Guarlion! Shatter its blade!"

:awesomelon:

This always works, because anime.

Murata is surprised to see an entirely different aura emanating from the Grungust, and wonders what could've happened to the pilot. Bullet defiantly yells for him to try again, and Murata notes the change in his tone - interesting. Perhaps he is worthy of crossing blades after all...

So, Bullet can now move again, in addition to being fully healed and getting his morale maxed out.

We can look at our bosses now. The Valsion CF is big and scary and we won't be seeing it again, while Lorenzo himself has Command, Prevail, Guard, and E-Save. He also has Morale Up(damage), which increases his morale by a larger amount when hit, and Warrior Spirit, which causes his morale to increase on each turn. E-Save does him absolutely no good since the CF's Cross Smasher is an ammo-based attack.

Meanwhile, Murata has Prevail, Infight, Counter, Insight, E-Save, and gains additional morale when he hits things.

There's very little to comment on for the other enemies, who fold up very quickly once you start firing on them.

The most resilient are the Barrelions (of course), but Kyosuke's fully-upgraded Revolver Stake evens the odds against them in short order.

The MP Huckebeins are pretty boring as well. Their main weapon is the Rectangle Launcher, which has a decent range and launches rectangles like nobody's business.

But who cares about that when we have the Raubtier already!

...Hold on, I have to fix something.

That's better.

You can pretty much assume that the grunt enemies are dying as Kai and friends move past. (Ryoto and Rio don't get to do anything this mission, being slow and lacking Accelerate. :( )

The bigger concern, of course, is Murata. We can actually just turtle up and wait until Turn 6, but that's no fun. He'll focus on Bullet exclusively, so Bullet casts Strike and parks on the nearby base structure.

That's a bit more like it.

Of course, Murata and Lorenzo both go for him again on the next turn and leave him like this. It's clearly going to take more than just Bullet to bring Murata down.

Lacking Accelerate, Ryoto and Rio are too far behind to really contribute, so they finish off a couple of low-health enemies during the mission. The main concern is still Murata.

Murata: "I'll cut you down, just as I did that whelp."
Excellen: "C'mon, Mr. Samurai! Sushi! Tempura! Sukiyaki! Et cetera."

She dodges, but lucked out; Murata's hitrate was 30%, and hers was 50 or so.

Latooni: "That Guarlion... it's armored like a super robot!"
Murata: "Don't think such a flimsy mech as yours will defeat the Mumyou."

Every little bit helps.

By this point Kyosuke has enough morale for Rampage Ghost. This'll be fun!

Murata: "The Alteisen... this will be a worthy battle."
Kyosuke: "Thanks to Bullet, I know what you're really capable of. Come on!"

Good! A couple more of these and we'll have him down in no ti---

OH GOD :gonk:

Evidently watching Bullet get pwnt did not show us what Murata was capable of. If Kyosuke hadn't been parked on the base, we'd be reloading now.

Bullet knocks another chunk of health off of him during the enemy phase.

And Lorenzo goes after Rai.

Rai: "Looks like you didn't take part in Operation SRW, Lt. Colonel Lorenzo..."
Lorenzo: "Hm? Who are you?"
Rai: "The name's Raidiese. Raidiese F. Branstein."
Lorenzo: "Branstein!? Then you're Supreme Commander Maier's..."
Rai: "The same. What are you planning to do with the Valsion?"
Lorenzo: "You may be the Commander's son, but I've no obligation to speak to a Federation soldier!"

The one Barrelion in the back never moved, but by Turn 5 Rai and Latooni are able to take it down.

:toot:

Which leaves us with just the two bosses.

Kai's spirit set got reworked; he has Fury now (not that we need it here). More importantly, he starts with Valor.

I'm... not sure this is actually going to work out for us, given what Murata did to Kyosuke.

Murata: "Kai Kitamura of the Aggressors... my cup runneth over."
Kai: "You. Why are you taking the Valsion?"
Murata: "Let's just say it's to revive the Divine Crusaders and leave it at that."
Kai: "What!?"
Murata: "Think as you wish. I have no interest in Lorenzo's designs."

By some miracle Kai dodges.

And then Excellen Rampage Ghosts him again.

This is enough to push him over the threshold to end the mission early.

Murata laughs; today's prey proved far more challenging than he'd expected. Lorenzo tells him that the ASRS is ready to deploy and gives the order to retreat. Bullet yells at him for running away, but he just replies that he's moving on to his next job. Perhaps they'll meet again...

The enemies retreat before anyone can react; it looks like they've managed to develop a special ECM of some sort.

There's no time for pursuit; the first priority is to ensure the hostages' safety. Excellen grumbles about the unsatisfactory ending leaving a bad taste in her mouth, but Kyosuke has read the script for the next two games and knows that it's just the beginning.

Kyosuke checks with Bullet. Somehow, he came through unharmed. No time for relaxing, though, as Excellen tells him to get off his butt and go find Kusuha.

Closing

quote:

Interrogating the now-released hostages reveals that the Valsion was being secretly developed here as an Isurugi Industries project. Given the level of secrecy, Kai doubts it could have been revealed to the enemy without inside help; he suspects that Kenneth Garrett invited the attack as a way of pressuring Isurugi to place the Valsion's development directly under his own oversight, increasing his standing in the Federation military. Evidently this has backfired.

Kusuha and Bullet are reunited, and Ryoto and Rio take some ribbing from Excellen about their "honeymoon" on Earth. Following this, Kusuha and the ATX team will be heading back to Langley.

There are a few more battle quotes that we missed:

quote:

Kyosuke: "You can't escape!"
Lorenzo: "I don't have time for you now - even if I do owe you for the supreme commander."

quote:

Excellen: "Careful with that thing or you'll shoot your eye out. Right, Monty?"
Lorenzo: "It's Montegnacco. Try to remember it."
Excellen: "OK, fine. I'll stop calling you that."

quote:

Ryoto: "Are you trying to start another DC War!?"
Lorenzo: "We're going to change the world. This isn't a war. It's a revolution."

quote:

Lorenzo: "The Federation's mass-produced Huckebeins... and the Valsion!"
Rio: "You won't take them!"

quote:

Kai: "Lorenzo! What are you scheming!?"
Lorenzo: "I've no need to tell you!"

quote:

Lorenzo: "You can't stop the Valsion. None of you can."
Latooni: "That unit has high-output thrusters. They're probably meant for the withdrawal..."

quote:

Murata: "So the Federation has decided to mass-produce the cursed Huckebein. Capricious."
Rai: "What's capricious is that mech of yours."
Murata: "Hmhmm... do not judge the Mumyou by appearances."

quote:

Ryoto: "Why does that machine have a sword!?"
Murata: "Why else? For killing..."

quote:

Rio: "What's with that Guarlion!? Does he think he's a samurai warrior or something!"
Murata: "Hmhmhmm... merely an assassin."

Next time: OG2, Mission 1! For real!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I don't have it on hand but I do believe Bullet catches Murata's sword with the Grungust's teeth (it's a robot with a face, of course it has teeth) in this sequence in the manga.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Aaah, the Valsion CF. Such a disappointment. It doesn't even have a sword.

Fortunately, the next guys to take a shot at the Valsion manage to make it faithful to what Bian would have wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
And so begins OG2s trend of having its bosses run away like little bitches at high HP values you probably can't reach unless you're on a second playthrough (Though Pair up should be able to have handled this)

• Locked thread