Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Argas posted:

I don't have it on hand but I do believe Bullet catches Murata's sword with the Grungust's teeth (it's a robot with a face, of course it has teeth) in this sequence in the manga.

Which one do you mean? Because I don't think this battle is even in the Record of ATX one. (On the other hand that's the only OG manga I know of...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Onmi posted:

And so begins OG2s trend of having its bosses run away like little bitches at high HP values you probably can't reach unless you're on a second playthrough (Though Pair up should be able to have handled this)

It's like a fun "how hard can you overkill" challenge!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ashram posted:

Which one do you mean? Because I don't think this battle is even in the Record of ATX one. (On the other hand that's the only OG manga I know of...)

There were little manga segments in the Dengeki Super Robot magazines. Some but not all of them get adapted into the OG2 part of OGS and OGG.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Argas posted:

There were little manga segments in the Dengeki Super Robot magazines. Some but not all of them get adapted into the OG2 part of OGS and OGG.

Ah, so there actually IS a media where Bullet is allowed to do anything other then fail...

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Onmi posted:

And so begins OG2s trend of having its bosses run away like little bitches at high HP values you probably can't reach unless you're on a second playthrough (Though Pair up should be able to have handled this)

Don't know if that would actually work this time around. Rampage Ghost does 7-8k, Bullet's doing about 6k with Doomblade, Kai's doing 4k after Valor, and everybody else would do less than 2k. Factor in the penalties for twin/support attacks and the chances of doing the 25k damage needed (40%) aren't looking too good. That's before you consider that most of the pilots don't have Support Attack yet (and OG2 finally separated out support and defense, so Excellen has just a natural support defense instead of both).

Twinning up with Ryoto and using Soul might have evened the odds, but I don't think anybody has the 70 SP needed to cast it yet.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I like how the Valsion CF kinda looks like The O. And what's the nickname of Murata's Guarlion?

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
I think this picture is kinda relevant considering the dialog:

Aside from that....soon we are going to see what I consider to be the 2nd or 3rd creepiest (female) character design Banpresto has ever thought of.

P.S: If I am annoying you with my love for the manga, please say so. I will stop^^

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Argas posted:

I don't have it on hand but I do believe Bullet catches Murata's sword with the Grungust's teeth (it's a robot with a face, of course it has teeth) in this sequence in the manga.

Here we go.

Murata slices off his sword arm so he catches the blade with his teeth, uses it as a fulcrum to lift him up on the other hand, breaks the sword then boost knuckles him straight up.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Where the Valsion was a spiky monstrosity right out of an 80s OVA, the CF is just kind of bulky and boring-looking. And it doesn't even have most of the Valsion's cool attacks. Terrible.

Still, glad to see a Space Italian to go with all the Space Germans. Pretty soon we'll fill out the whole Axis set.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

That La Gais Valsion is /awesome/. I really dig the Battleaxe/Spear design.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

I like how the Valsion CF kinda looks like The O. And what's the nickname of Murata's Guarlion?

The CF reminds me of the Alpha Azieru from CCA more. What with that ugly color it has.

The Guarlion's name is Mumyou, which is the Japanese term for a Hindu/Buddhist concept called Avidya. Properly translated, it's Ignorance with a capital I. It is an unwillingness to see things how they are in reality, so 'personal dogma' is also a way to describe it. An appropriate name for a mecha piloted by a member of the DC, though it would better fit a certain extremely toolish long-haired twit we'll have the misfortune of meeting in a few missions. Unless his personality changed a lot in the remake, of course.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Wounded Land posted:

EDIT: Beaten by Montegoraon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Waiit... Guarlions are as big as grungusts?
I was really underestimating their size :stare:

Wait no the scale is all weird: grungusts are supposed to be almost 50m tall, Guarlions are 18.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wait no the scale is all weird: grungusts are supposed to be almost 50m tall, Guarlions are 18.

This is SRW. Scale is meaningless (for display purposes).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also note that Murata's Guarlion is a custom model with added samuraiarmor, so its size is probably different from the regular Guarlion.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The Guarlion Custom: Mumyo is 19.2m tall. So it's a tiny bit taller than your average Guarlion, but not by much. (incidentally, the Valsion Custom CF is 58m, a meter taller than Bian's original)

But scale rarely if ever matters in SRW so just don't worry about it. This is a series where you can park Daitarn 3 and Gunbuster inside a ship that's smaller than they are. Repeat to yourself it's just a game, you really should just relax.

EDIT: As long as we're chatting stats, it seems the CF carries on the Valsion tradition of completely ridiculous weights. Bian's original is 57m and 55 tons, the CF is 58M and 64 tons. For reference, the R-1 is 19.1m and 50.2t while the SRX itself is 51.2m and a healthy 388.8t. The Valsions are made out of plastic. (I like to think someone made a typo way back when and they decided to run with it. 550 tons feels like a lot better weight than 55.)

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 16, 2015

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah, the manga depicts the Guarlion as similar-sized to the Grungust mainly because it'd look a bit silly for it to be less than half its size, especially when they do the whole "dash past each other, pause for a second, before one of them suffers damage" thing. The Valsion Custom CF is depicted as huge, with the Alt Eisen being much smaller than it when it blocks the stake with its palm.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

EDIT: As long as we're chatting stats, it seems the CF carries on the Valsion tradition of completely ridiculous weights. Bian's original is 57m and 55 tons, the CF is 58M and 64 tons. For reference, the R-1 is 19.1m and 50.2t while the SRX itself is 51.2m and a healthy 388.8t. The Valsions are made out of plastic. (I like to think someone made a typo way back when and they decided to run with it. 550 tons feels like a lot better weight than 55.)

Valsion's stats are a reference to Combattler V, which is famously 57 meters tall and weighs 550 tons. (It's even in the chorus of the ending theme!) Bian is just that much of a robot dork.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Wounded Land posted:

Valsion's stats are a reference to Combattler V, which is famously 57 meters tall and weighs 550 tons. (It's even in the chorus of the ending theme!) Bian is just that much of a robot dork.

One of the cruelest things a friend did to me was tricking me into thinking Combattler was getting a reboot back in 2012

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

JamMasterJim posted:

One of the cruelest things a friend did to me was tricking me into thinking Combattler was getting a reboot back in 2012

With that pachinko video? Yeah, that made me really sad too.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Hellioning posted:

With that pachinko video? Yeah, that made me really sad too.

I would have given my left arm for this to be a full reboot of Combattler V.

Because seriously, it looks amazing. Especially the CG, and how Combattler itself moves.

Such a shame we'll never see it for real...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So it is Valsione's spunkier, Obari'd little brother? I approve.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
I'm honestly kind of glad that didn't turn out to be an actual show, because sexed-up Chizuru makes me sad.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Mission 6

We're finally at the first actual mission of the original GBA game.

Intro

quote:

The crew returns to Langley, noting as they do that the Shirogane has been repaired from the damage it took in the L5 campaign. Kai and Kyosuke head off to make their report to Kenneth, while everybody else says their goodbyes to Ryoto and Rio before their own return to Washington.

Kenneth informs Kai that the matter of the Valsion's theft is to be kept under wraps for the moment, which confirms Kai's suspicions about the role that politics are playing in all of this. Kyosuke has apparently put in a request to be transferred to another base to reduce the load on his team, which Kenneth curtly denies. He's then introduced to Lee Linjun, the Shirogane's captain and his new commanding officer. The ATX team is being assigned to the Shirogane, which will be heading to Mexico to sweep for insurgents.

Elsewhere, a strange angel-like mech has come under fire from unknown hostiles. Its female pilot thinks that her jump has been successful, but first she'll have to get clear...

Mission 6: Beautiful Intruder

Objective: Kill everything, within four turns for the mastery.

That's five Lion-Fs and three Landlions. A bit of a tall order for one mech to handle.

As for that one mech, that would be the Angelg. It's sort of a weird super/real hybrid; it's more armored than it is maneuverable, but it has After-Image built in.

Likewise, its unknown pilot has Prevail, Counter, and Insight, an odd mix of super/real pilot skills. Her starting spirits are Strike and Guard, so she's leaning more towards the super side of the equation at the moment.

Since she doesn't have any trouble hitting the Lions, let's go with Guard.

"I have a mission to perform... stay out of my way."

:sparkles:

For the basic melee attack, Mirage Sword is pretty nice.

The Angelg's armor is able to cut the Lions' railguns down to around 500 damage. We wouldn't want to take them all on without Guard, though.

On the enemy phase, she starts countering with a ranged weapon.

Illusion Arrow actually seems roughly equal to Mirage Sword in damage.

By turn 2 she's killed one of them, the others being too far away to counter.

Killing one more will trigger the next event, so she just finishes off the nearby enemy to move things along.

And along comes the cavalry.

Scene

quote:

The ATX crew goggles at the strange mech. Its IFF codes are registered to Isurugi Industries. When they hail the pilot, she identifies herself as Lamia Loveless; a check with Isurugi's records turns up her name as one of their test pilots. However, both Kyosuke and Lee are suspicious, given that the Angelg looks nothing like Isurugi's other designs. Nonetheless, Lee orders the ATX team to protect her.

Meanwhile, Lamia is surprised to be hailed by Beowulf himself, and thinks that the situation could work to her advantage.

The reinforcements are in a good position to take on the Landlions, so they go to work on that. Bullet will be taking the lion's share of the kills if I can help it.

Likewise, Lamia needs to farm kills for a secret as well. By now she has enough morale to use a proper and gloriously over-the-top finisher.

As ridiculous as Mirage Sign is, the Angelg does have another, stronger attack - but it's locked until she's level 10, for no apparent reason beyond that being how it was in SRW Advance.

Apparently scared of Mahou Shoujo Lamia Magica, the other two Lions will now ignore her and move on the ATX crew.

No problem. Lamia and Bullet can split them.

:toot:

The enemies have been eliminated. Lee orders the Angelg taken on board and moved to the hazmat chamber for inspection. Meanwhile, the Isurugi representative is on the line...

Closing

quote:

The Isurugi rep confirms Lamia's identity. He tries to get Lee to take the Angelg aboard his ship for data gathering; Lee is having none of it, but then discovers to his frustration that Kenneth has already ordered it. With no choice, he places Lamia under Kyosuke's authority. Having met already heavier enemy presence than expected, the Shirogane will be returning to Langley for a proper resupply before resuming its mission.

Bullet's been looking at Lamia's mech, echoing the earlier doubts about whether it's really an Isurugi design. She arrives to introduce herself to the ATX team, soon discovering that she's unable to speak naturally as a result of her "language unit" being damaged. Excellen takes it in stride, Kyosuke and Bullet less so, but the ATX team members introduce themselves to her as well. Bullet and "Beowulf" match the data Lamia already has, but she has no data on Excellen - and is shocked when she hears her last name.

On an unidentified ship, the unknown people from the opening sequence discuss that the jump has been detected in Alabama, at least according to Rose's information. The man is doubtful, given the fate of one of their transports, but their plans will continue unaltered for the time being.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I'm so glad Lamia's here-mainly because Ash to Ash is one of my favorite themes in the entire series.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Yes, but on the other hand Lamia's cut-ins are just so...bad. Especially the weird hand wave thing she does.

We have now met the other protagonist of SRW A though, and already she's been hijacked by Kyousuke.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yes, keep in mind Lamia and Axel both served as Super Robot Wars Advanced's protagonist. Whichever you didn't choose served as your rival in the Angelg/Soulgain.

Here, they are relegated to essentially basing their identities on Kyosuke.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Lamia is cool and her robot manages to have style despite being ridiculous. And she doesn't even need some crazy upgrade to it - that level 10 finisher unlock aside the Angelg is as you will be taking it all the way through this game and the next two even (unless I'm mistaken). Also she has a pretty great song.

What I'm saying is it shouldn't come as a surprise that Banpresto will ruin a perfectly good thing. :shepicide:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, one retcon that can be missed is the Weissritter being designated as the Gespenst Mk. IV. While our new companion did recognize it in the original, it did not have a designation like the Alteisen did.

Onmi posted:

Yes, keep in mind Lamia and Axel both served as Super Robot Wars Advanced's protagonist. Whichever you didn't choose served as your rival in the Angelg/Soulgain.
Not quite. For the real robot option, yes this was correct. The real robot you did not pick would be the one your rival used. However, for the super robot option it was different; if you picked Soulgain/Angleg, your rival would instead use another Advance robot we have not seen yet. If you picked that mystery robot as your machine instead, your rival would appear in the Soulgain/Angleg. So, no matter what you did, you could never have Soulgain or Angleg as the protagonist mech and the other as the rival's unit.

Also Seyser, in Advance you had to wait until level 20 to unlock Phantom Phoenix. OG2 originally did not have any level restrictions, so it was available right out of the box. I never understood why OGs brought the level restriction back outside of the obvious "callback to Advance" option, but hey, at least it's not too bad of a wait.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AradoBalanga posted:

Also Seyser, in Advance you had to wait until level 20 to unlock Phantom Phoenix. OG2 originally did not have any level restrictions, so it was available right out of the box. I never understood why OGs brought the level restriction back outside of the obvious "callback to Advance" option, but hey, at least it's not too bad of a wait.

I don't notice these things because I Codebreaker myself to level 99 with max stats in my GBA playthrough. :v:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Aw, I was wondering how you'd render Lamia's broken speech pattern (though I can understand going with Atlus' choice - those ARE pretty crazy).

If I remember correctly, the translators of The Inspector simply translated her brokenness via weird phrase structures ("If I may be doing the asking of a question...") which always got a laugh out of me.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 17, 2015

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gyra_Solune posted:

Lamia is cool and her robot manages to have style despite being ridiculous. And she doesn't even need some crazy upgrade to it - that level 10 finisher unlock aside the Angelg is as you will be taking it all the way through this game and the next two even (unless I'm mistaken). Also she has a pretty great song.

What I'm saying is it shouldn't come as a surprise that Banpresto will ruin a perfectly good thing. :shepicide:

She does have an amazing song.

And there's a sidegrade secret unit for Lamia. I know in OG2 it was slightly convoluted, you get get an all-over upgrade to the Angelg, a Unit you could put anyone in, OR the Angelg sidegrade unit depending on how you handle it.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Brunom1 posted:

Aw, I was wondering how you'd render Lamia's broken speech pattern (though I can understand going with Atlus' choice - those ARE pretty crazy).

If I remember correctly, the translators of The Inspector simply translated her brokenness via weird phrase structures ("If I may be doing the asking of a question...") which always got a laugh out of me.

That's probably the best way to handle it, actually.

The thing that popped into my head was a not-very-good Rurouni Kenshin scanslation I read. Kenshin uses some form of gozaru when he speaks, and they handled that by having him say "your pardon" at the end of literally every sentence. It was absolutely maddening to read and I decided the Atlus way was better rather than try to think of something else.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I gotta admit, I'm already liking the shift to Lee's character bunches. He's still an rear end in a top hat, but unlike in OG2 he's also coming across as competent, which honestly he didn't originally. He's still an unreasonable hardass, but he's also cluing in that Kyosuke is getting the same bad vibes he is, and that having the commander of his mech forces up to speed on what they're doing might be a Good Idea.

Brunom1 posted:

Yoda speak is probably the closest English-language equivalent to her original problem, so it makes sense. On the other hand, SRW has piles and piles of dialog and Atlus' method has GOT to be easier and faster to do.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Aw yeah Ash to Ash, love that song and it rarely leaves my mp3 list even if I remove all the rest of the SRW songs for a chance of pace. I'm not that big on the Angelg (though its inclusion in the ATX team makes me laugh), but Lamia's cool. Her laugh in particular is fantastic, she's just deadpan saying "Hohohoho" really fast.

Excellen getting all excited that she has a new friend to mess with is honestly one of my favourite parts of OG2, partially cause it's Excellen at her best. My favourite part unsurprisingly involves Ryoto.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

She does have an amazing song.

And there's a sidegrade secret unit for Lamia. I know in OG2 it was slightly convoluted, you get get an all-over upgrade to the Angelg, a Unit you could put anyone in, OR the Angelg sidegrade unit depending on how you handle it.

You get the improved Angelg no matter what. Your choices are between a decent unit you can put anyone in or a monster only Lamia can have. Back on the GBA I liked the open unit better, but some changes in OGS make the other secret better now.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Excellen getting all excited that she has a new friend to mess with is honestly one of my favourite parts of OG2, partially cause it's Excellen at her best. My favourite part unsurprisingly involves Ryoto.

It really is, especially since said new friend goes along with it not knowing any better.

MarsDragon posted:

You get the improved Angelg no matter what. Your choices are between a decent unit you can put anyone in or a monster only Lamia can have. Back on the GBA I liked the open unit better, but some changes in OGS make the other secret better now.

I actually prefer the Angelg for thematic reasons, though I am not sure how strong mechanically it compares to the secret units she gets.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Huh. They made Lee actually kinda competent this time around. Go figure.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Weissritter posted:

It really is, especially since said new friend goes along with it not knowing any better.

I actually prefer the Angelg for thematic reasons, though I am not sure how strong mechanically it compares to the secret units she gets.

The Angelg is fine and holds up pretty well, it's just that mechanics-wise the locked unit is absurd. (it's toned down in later games, but in OG2 it's very strong) There's nothing wrong with keeping the Angelg and you'll beat the game either way because all you really NEED is the SRX and enough people with Hope and Enable to let Ryusei do his thing, so it's all up to personal preference. But the locked unit is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Seyser, mentioned this a couple pages back, but is there any good place to contact you at directly? Had some potential translation work I wanted to talk to you about, if possible. :>

• Locked thread